8.0

Fun Factor: 7

Score: 7.1/10 = B-
  2. dukedoom72
    Sep 19, 2008
    people must have gone blind by the lush visuals! this IS a great game, but as usual with next gen games this is not as big as SC3! Or 2! No survival, team mode or such! where are all the fun extra modes? not as many faces in custom creation etc... And the tower mode just aint as fun as for example the strategy in 3 or edge master mode! Great but disappointing.
    Sep 21, 2008
    Fun fighting game. Character editor is decent. Great graphics. The story is a little lackluster though and it seems difficult to do things like the soul crush.
  4. Oct 14, 2011
    Where did it go wrong for this series?? Somewhere after soul calibur 2 I believe, since then this series has lost its way, towers of the lost souls is nothing compared to the old storymode in soul calibur 2, was very disappointing. Despite the disappointments, this is still a very good fighting game although not good enough to keep me from selling it, a sad day for a series which on theWhere did it go wrong for this series?? Somewhere after soul calibur 2 I believe, since then this series has lost its way, towers of the lost souls is nothing compared to the old storymode in soul calibur 2, was very disappointing. Despite the disappointments, this is still a very good fighting game although not good enough to keep me from selling it, a sad day for a series which on the dreamcast and xbox gave myself and my friends hours of entertainment. Expand

So with the classic, new-school, and infinitely customizable character roster at the ready, and with online play fully operational, it's not a stretch to say this might be 2008's best fighting game.
  2. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    As for total newcomers, welcome to what is, in my opinion, the most fun, fully 3D fighter on the market. [Sept 2008, p.76]
  3. The sheer amount of features, including the Star Wars characters, makes Soulcalibur IV worth its premium asking price for those that adore this franchise. But it’s the synergistic power of these parts coming together that makes Soulcalibur IV a good recommendation to any player looking for a fresher take on the fighting game genre.