6.2

1. Jan 31, 2012
    First of all, I'm going to make it clear from the start of my review: a lot, and I mean the vast majority of reviewers, have given SCV a low score (for example IGN and gamespot) because they thing the singleplayer is not great. Perhaps it isn't, but attacking it so vehemently is just completely wrong; it's a competitively geared fighting game. It was made to be the most valid entry in theFirst of all, I'm going to make it clear from the start of my review: a lot, and I mean the vast majority of reviewers, have given SCV a low score (for example IGN and gamespot) because they thing the singleplayer is not great. Perhaps it isn't, but attacking it so vehemently is just completely wrong; it's a competitively geared fighting game. It was made to be the most valid entry in the series for tournament play. Anyways, on to my review:

The graphics, although not a huge leap from SC4, don't have to be. They were already pretty amazing in SC4, and the fact that they are better (and noticeably) means SC5 is is a beautiful, beautiful looking game. Ezio is a more appropriate guest character this time around, compared to Yoda and Vader. It's still too early to say if the game is more balanced. All I know is that Siegfried, my main (who I am pleased to know looks pretty badass this time around), is nerfed a bit. Some of his moves that were safe in SC4 aren't safe anymore.

The real crowning achievement for SCV, in my opinion, is the absolutely incredible online and lobby mode.The netcode is absolutely excellent. Players can choose their preference for connection quality, and there is regional matchmaking. You can even choose to match up with some japanese gosu if you feel like getting your ass whooped. Of course, there will be lag if you live in America or europe. With the regional matchmaking, you'll get 4/5 bar connection, which means almost no lag at all. SC4 was tainted with lag abuse online... and you'll never see it again here.

The lobby system is on an entirely different level to other games. Up to 6 people can join into a lobby in player matches, for people watching two others duking it out. What makes it amazing is that players can actually text chat with each other. PC players might scoff at this... but for people who primarily play on consoles, that's pretty damn awesome. It's great to see the "gg"s floating about the lobby. The game also records automatically records your last 8 matches.

The other feature of SCV which will leave your jaw firmly glued to the floor is the new Create a Soul (CaS). Think of SC4's CaS (if you played it), then multiply it by a factor of 10... now you've got SCV's CaS. The original characters of the series can have their armour/clothing customized ad infinium, as opposed to a single monochrome colour base from before. You can even fiddle around with the colour saturation. Every character has more weapons to use than before. There's a staggering amount of weapon and armour unlocks. The possibilities really are endless this time around. Have a favourite character from a book/film you like? You can create it easily. I created a very accurate replica of Guts from the manga "Berserk" with ease. So there you have it: The best online mode, netcode and lobby probably ever seen so far in a fighting game, absolutely beautiful visuals, and a staggering amount of customization.

I think many people will be turned off by these so called "professional" reviews that completely fail to focus on the important parts of a fighting game, instead focusing on paltry tings like story mode, and "lack of a tutorial mode (gamespot.... it's called training mode ffs).
  2. Feb 2, 2012
    The best 3D fighting game is return and Better than ever, more characters, more options, best mode for playing online... what else could you want? Are you a fan from the series? don think about it and buy it!
  3. Feb 3, 2012
    Why anyone is moaning about story mode is beyond me. Be glad they even added one. This game is meant to be played as a 1 on 1 fighting game and thats it. Screw the story mode. I love this game. Even though I'm not very good at it.
  4. Feb 3, 2012
    This is a great game. People are complaining about the single player, but I think that is absurd as this ia really a multiplayer game. the netcode is very solid too. All around great game.
  5. Jan 31, 2012
    i just picked it up today, and i thought the game was just as fun and engaging as always! the critical edge can be kind of abusive, but it works just fine with the game. its a bit sad that some characters were cut, but the new guys like ZWEI and Ezio (the guest character) are fun to utilize. The character creation is waaaaaay better than last game, with way more you can do for youri just picked it up today, and i thought the game was just as fun and engaging as always! the critical edge can be kind of abusive, but it works just fine with the game. its a bit sad that some characters were cut, but the new guys like ZWEI and Ezio (the guest character) are fun to utilize. The character creation is waaaaaay better than last game, with way more you can do for your character. The story mode is disappointing, but at least u could get it done and over with to get characters. Its a very effective build-up from the previous game Expand
  6. Sep 13, 2014
    SC5 is without a doubt the best fighter out there, the most fun to play, the most technically brilliant. Along with the returning veteran fighters you can make your own custom characters, this mode gives you slightly more options than in SC4, however there is room for improvement still so I must award only a 9/10
  7. May 20, 2012
    El peor modo historia, el peor modo un jugador, los jugadores nuevos simplemente no están a la altura y decepcionará a cualquier fan. No tiene galería, ni teatro ni nada que se le parezca.

Es divertido y jugablemente sigue siendo el mejor, pero muy por debajo de los anteriores.
  8. Feb 8, 2012
    The fighting game genre has had an incredible renaissance in recent years due to the success of SF4 and SCV is set to capitalize on that. SC2 3, and 4 all tried to capitalize on RPG elements to popularize the games during the stagnant fighting game scenes of the time. Fast forward to today and you'll see that RPG elements are seen as detriments to the competitive scene (see SFxT's infamousThe fighting game genre has had an incredible renaissance in recent years due to the success of SF4 and SCV is set to capitalize on that. SC2 3, and 4 all tried to capitalize on RPG elements to popularize the games during the stagnant fighting game scenes of the time. Fast forward to today and you'll see that RPG elements are seen as detriments to the competitive scene (see SFxT's infamous gem system) and the competitive scene is the main source of promotion and interest in the game's target demographic: fighting game fans. If you are a fan of the previous games Weapon Master modes, dungeon crawling, and RPG customization you will be disappointed with this game's stunted single player content. This is not to blame Namco, they chose a side and took it wholeheartedly: multiplayer. This game has the best netcode of any fighting game on the market sans Blazblue, and is the most exciting 3d fighter to hit the competitive scene since, well, SC2. If you play fighting games with friends or in tournaments then you will love this game and I can't recommend it enough, pick up the guide while you're at it. If however you're looking for an in-depth RPG hacknslash single player game pick up Amalur instead. SC5 is a multiplayer experience. Expand
  9. Mar 28, 2012
    The game is BRILLIANT. The story is short yet touching, gameplay is perfect, characters are balansed and the game's world is the perfect one to live in. That's just a perfect tale. AND STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT DISAPEARRENCE OF OLD CHARACTERS. That's inevitable part of evolution.
  10. Oct 1, 2013
    Great game wish Bandai and NAMCO would give the Soul team more time so we could have got more DLC and Zas back. Really iffy story but the falls all on the higher ups not the dev team. SCVI I'm waiting
  11. Feb 1, 2012
    Gameplay feels more fluid. Costumes no longer alter combat, which allows you more freedom in character creation. Single player mode acknowledges that the tower challenges and storyline were always just arcade mode anyway: Pretty much arcade is the single player experience. The storyline mode now is restricted to a few characters and adds marginal art to the blank text of SCIV. At last, aGameplay feels more fluid. Costumes no longer alter combat, which allows you more freedom in character creation. Single player mode acknowledges that the tower challenges and storyline were always just arcade mode anyway: Pretty much arcade is the single player experience. The storyline mode now is restricted to a few characters and adds marginal art to the blank text of SCIV. At last, a ABK button translator chart accompanies the move list. There is less T&A in this version. Collapse

1. Mar 29, 2012
    Unfortunately for those returning after an absence (like me) or who are brand new to the series, Soul Calibur V does little to bring a player up to speed with the new characters and mechanics beyond throwing them into the fight and letting them wade through as best they can. Factor in the scarcity of offline single-player content, and this means that multiplayer is the only thing granting Soul Calibur V any longevity; players looking for long-term offline play will be better served with Soul Calibur IV.
  2. Mar 12, 2012
    Critics praised this series for its unique campaigns like Weapon Master that feature a variety of challenges and weapons with different properties, but SC5's offerings feel limited and rushed.
  3. Mar 7, 2012
    While there's nothing revolutionary in the gameplay of SoulCalibur V from its predecessors, fans of the franchise will enjoy once again the blade battling that looks just as good as it plays.