8.5

1. Mar 22, 2014
    Pros:
    Funny
    Lots of South Park in-gags
    Decent Story

Cons:
    Short, ~10-20 hours of quests
    Repetitive Combat
    Party size caps at 2

Thoughts:
    It was worth playing, but not worth the full price.
  2. Mar 15, 2014
    I am a fan of both South Park as well as the RPG genre of games. I think it is important to list that as a frame of reference for my opinions of the game.

The Good: The game has some fantastic elements. Many RPGs fall into a rut where it is just the same thing over and over. This game incorporated a lot of elements which are not commonly found in RPGs though. There were button

The Good:
    The game has some fantastic elements. Many RPGs fall into a rut where it is just the same thing over and over. This game incorporated a lot of elements which are not commonly found in RPGs though. There were button sequences involved much like DDR or the 1980's handheld game Simon. An entire zone of the game is mocked up much like the original NES classic Dragon Warrior. The dialog is true to what South Park fans would expect. Gaining new abilities allows you to explore previously unreachable areas which is also nice.

The Bad:
    The game itself is quite short. Most gamers could complete the game in a single weekend. There is no purpose at all to the "junk" items whereas many other games would have a crafting system in place to turn junk into new weapons or armor. Some armor items are unable to be dyed which is unfortunate. There is no new-game plus feature which again is unfortunate as there are several achievements which either require playing the game a certain way and there are also some elements which will only be completable during a very brief window of opportunity. If you miss these brief opportunities in the final chapters of the game, guess what, if you are a 100% completionist, you are playing the entire game over again. Also the tutorials teaching you how to use magic are simply awful. The stick movements depicted are not at all in line with what you actually need to do. There also do not appear to be any super-bosses which are found in many RPG games. This is doubly disappointing as the game is short, and Mecha Streisand simply lends itself to that so well. Most of the houses you explore also have the exact same blueprint which gets a bit tedious. Also, as much of the enjoyment of the game comes from the humor the game loses a lot of replay value as you have already heard the same jokes once before. Also had a few audio glitches occur but reloading a save or exiting the game seems to clear them up. I also found much of the NPC background dialog to be misleading. Some NPCs will give you tips on how to complete certain aspects, however there is no point to this as you will not be able to complete these tasks until they become essential to the story progression.

Final Recommendation
    If you are not a South Park fan there is a good chance you will be horribly offended by this game. If you are a South Park fan you may enjoy the game, but I would recommend waiting 2-3 months and grabbing at Gamestop for $20. The game as a whole is really underwhelming at the current $60 asking price. No multiplayer, no new-game plus, no end game content (aside from collectibles), short overall campaign. .
  3. Apr 26, 2014
    Love South Park, hate the game. The combat slows the game down to the point where it stops being fun and no amount of fart jokes can fix that. So disappointed because I wanted to love this game so much. The 5 points are for the potential fun I saw in the game but the remaining points were stolen by the fact that the combat became something I dreaded and finally made me abandon the game.Love South Park, hate the game. The combat slows the game down to the point where it stops being fun and no amount of fart jokes can fix that. So disappointed because I wanted to love this game so much. The 5 points are for the potential fun I saw in the game but the remaining points were stolen by the fact that the combat became something I dreaded and finally made me abandon the game. So sad about this. Expand
  4. Mar 9, 2014
    Great dialog, feels just like you're watching the show. Lots of great references to be had too. However, the controls are effing terrible at times. Some of the mini games are so hard because of this I even had to go looking for walkthroughs just to figure out the controls. Also, the game could have used more music. Other than this, the game was decent.
  5. Mar 4, 2014
    South Park: The Stick of Truth has many hilarious moments for those that enjoy adult humour and even pokes a little fun at some of your favourite games. While the gameplay is often fun, it also has its frustrating moments of timed based combos that can often leave you stuck and frustrated. If you are a fan of the series, you will want this in your library.
  6. Dec 11, 2014
    Solid game with everything you've come to expect from Trey and Matt, including unabated humiliation and denigration of the human race, crude adolescent humor, and lots of homosexual themes that builds to a disturbing crescendo.

Menu systems were intuitive and game play felt consistent. IMO the best part of the game was the combat system. It made you think and consider different strategies, otherwise, some parts felt impossible. You need to upgrade, replenish your consumables, utilize weapon and armor modifications, mix in special actions, master blocking (not optional), choose the right buddy for a particular fight, etc. If you were faithful, you are rewarded with a fair system that is both fun and challenging - a balance that's difficult to achieve.

Only experienced a few glitches with the menu system like quests not appearing correctly on the map a couple times and one sequence not rendering properly (a reload fixed it, seemed like a common problem with others online).

You need to pay close attention to the tutorials when Cartman or Randy are showing you moves, if it says press, then press, if it says hold, then hold. Sometimes it will have R and R (thumb stick) side by side and its easy to think it means L and R. Also, when navigating puzzles, keep an eye out for all the clues such as blinking sections, fire, switches, teleports, etc.

Some directions were vague however, like when spinning the left thumb, it penalizes you for not going fast enough, although no where does it indicate any speed requirements. Also the last fart move is a little different from the others and also a little confusing at first. Just look up any questions online, they're all there to help you along.

It also incorporates some anime and 8-bit games sections which were fun and more spoofs. Voice acting and scripts were great. The game takes Skyrim as its theme and hostage. Incorporates lots of elements from other games as well for more jabs. Also, the game gives you one of two paths to play in the game.

The $60 might be considered a little steep by some, personally, I paid $30 for it on XBOX Gold and felt very satisfied with that price. Only recommended for people that have a high tolerance for offensive material.
  7. Sep 3, 2015
    Let Me start off by saying I am A Fan of South Park for many years pretty much ever since near the beginning.The game's content is very well crafted and most of the jokes are very funny if you're A Fan of the show.My problem with the Game's length.A normal RPG now of days are 30 plus Hours minimum,the Story can be honestly done in about four Hours if you grind or have already played theLet Me start off by saying I am A Fan of South Park for many years pretty much ever since near the beginning.The game's content is very well crafted and most of the jokes are very funny if you're A Fan of the show.My problem with the Game's length.A normal RPG now of days are 30 plus Hours minimum,the Story can be honestly done in about four Hours if you grind or have already played the game once.Another beef I have with the Game lies in An event at the end,but I won't give any Spoilers though.Overall,if you're A Fan of South Park then get the Game.If you are A Fan of RPG's just be aware that it's short but sweet.I hope they make the sequel just A little longer next time. Expand

1. May 2, 2014
    In a Venn diagram of South Park fans and adventure RPG fans this game exists in the overlap. If you find yourself there too then this game is an absolute no-brainer.
  2. games(TM)
    Apr 9, 2014
    What a tremendous piece of work. [Issue#146, p.100]
  3. Mar 11, 2014
    I had heard that Stephen King's Misery was a love letter written to his fans. South Park: The Stick of Truth is a similar love note from Matt Stone and Trey Parker.