5.4

1. Jun 28, 2013
    (EDIT: I was informed on how to delete gladiators. It's where you change your equipment, instead of the roster. That is exceedingly stupid, so my score remains the same, and it's stupid that I have to do that to, again, PROGRESS in single player.)

Now, I don't watch Spartacus, but I am a huge fan of gladiatorial fights, and this seemed great: A free-to-play fighter where you can
    customize your own Gladiator to fight their way to the top, and bring glory to your House!

Graphics: The models look pretty nice, but the environments, crowds, and the sun (which is the worst) look a generation old. The cutting effects on your models would be cool if they weren't the same ones, over and over again.

Sound: Ignorable. Everyone seems to have the same voices, and the music is so generic that you'll forget it exists.

Control: These were alright. You have light attacks, heavy attacks, grabs, and Pathtration attacks (guard breaks). You can preform different combos and attacks by either moving the Left analog stick in different directions when attacking, or mixing attack buttons.

You can guard, and also roll, to evade or assault foes, and you can also taunt by...pressing Down on the D-Pad? Why? The Triggers aren't even used for this game, why couldn't Taunt be up there, where it's more convenient?

Gameplay: You start the game by playing a tutorial fight as Spartacus, where it teaches you the controls (outside of the Taunt button for some reason). Then, you play as the head of a House, and you are given a free slave to use as a gladiator. Equip him to fight, and earn money and glory for your House.

Single player is nothing but one-on-one fights with various opponents. There's normal fights, where you fight randomly generated enemies for Silver coins and Fame (Experience). As you level up, new gear is unlocked, which you then purchase with your Silver. There is a cooldown between doing the same Normal Fight, so you can't cheese it up and grind Silver/Fame quickly.

Then there's Primus Fights, which are against the same named foes. Each one has their unique combat style. Defeating these foes will allow you to earn Perks, which give you various effects, such as resisting Grab attacks, or damage buffs. You can only have one Perk at a time, so you have to make your choice count, and you can't re-fight Primus Fights: If you decline a Perk, it's gone for good.

As you win Primus Fights, you unlock further Primus Fights, leading up to the Boss Fight of the district. There are a total of six different districts to fight in, some varying in difficulty. You repeat this progress throughout the entirety of the single game. There's nothing else except Online.

This wouldn't be so bad, if the fights didn't start feeling very repetitive and boring after the first one. While you can vary your combos and attacks, there's never any reason to. You'll either stick to your quickest, or longest range attacks, and only mix it up with low, sweeping attacks if an enemy is laying on the ground.

One thing that tries to mix fights up is the ability to Execute your foes. If you happen to have a full Crowd Meter, you will be able to press any attack button to brutally kill them. Attacking and Taunting builds your meter, but it's almost impossible to get it filled up unless you have an absolutely flawless fight, as any inactivity will cause it to decrease rapidly.

So you repeat this cycle: Fight, buy new gear, which isn't cosmetic: Gear gives you better stats, and, of course, the later gear is always better. Repeat over and over. It would be fine if the game would just be a grind, but it gets much worse.

First, Pay to Win. This game is that. You have the option to spend real money on Gold Coins, which can be used to purchase gear WELL beyond your current level. Doing this gives you a very distinct advantage. In addition, you can spend Gold on power-ups that are absolutely UNOBTAINABLE by Silver, giving you an even larger advantage.

I will not play multiplayer, even if it worked properly (it doesn't), because of this. This is not how you do "Free" business models. The gear should be cosmetic, not give other players blatant advantages!

Then, there's getting new Gladiators. Each Gladiator has a certain weapon skill, like Sword and Shield, Duel Daggers, etc. This means you can buy new Gladiators to have a variety of weapon styles, but some Primus Fights require a specific weapon skill!

Early in the game, there is a Primus Fight that requires Duel Daggers. You cannot check this beforehand: You have to wait until you have the fight unlocked to check requirements. Before this, I bought a Two-Handed Sword Gladiator, who I thought was awesome. I also had a Sword and Shield Gladiator.

Because of the fight restriction, I either had to grind 3,360 Silver Coins for more character slots, or delete one of my Gladiators. This is a severe design flaw that needs fixed ASAP.

Overall, a great idea, horrible execution. I'd rather pay $60 for a better experience.
  2. Jun 29, 2013
    A junk game. Just total crap. Horrible fighting, like a broken Tekken, and a pay-for-play menu thats faces you at every corner. Thanks for nothing. Is that what we are going to come to expect when free hand helds get ported to consoles?
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    Game shoddy, shoddy gameplay, absolute crap, I thought a lot better, even though the game is free, however, sucks, try it, if you can always find people online.
  4. Jun 26, 2013
    Has the potential for greatness. But way too many bugs. For their highest priced gold(in game purchase) is $150 dollars?!? Playing against the CPU is fine didn't fine too many bugs there but online is horrible. Servers are always down. I mean always down.
  5. Jun 27, 2013
    This game is mediocre at best. Nothing about it leaves a good taste in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the series, and I've spent eight hours trying to find some hint of a decent game. I can't. The fighting is simple and uninteresting, the graphics are abysmal, (this is 2013, not 2001) progression is slow and tedious, because they were trying to get as many pointless little fights in as they could before you beat this, to simply put it, short game. Not to mention one of the worst launches I've experienced. Recruiting on PS3 was broken for the first day, and the servers on Xbox were down nearly immediately. I'd hate to say this about a game that was made based around one of my favorite TV series' of all time, but I honestly think you should avoid this garbage at all costs. Just because it's free doesn't mean you can make the game trashy and boring. 4/10. And that's being generous because I liked the series. Expand
  6. Jun 27, 2013
    This game has gotten off to a really bad start, The first day and the servers prove to be appalling. It took me an hour to actually get onto the game and when I finally do. I don't get a fast-paced action fighter, I get what feels like a repetitive facebook game, I'm rank 10 and have already grown bored of the game, About Rank 7 the game just becomes a grind-fest because of an outrageous difficulty spike. Some of the weapon-types seem to be very underpowered whilst others destroy all in its path with great ease. Due to the awful servers their is no point attempting an online match, because you'll be lucky to complete it due to disconnections and lag. The game requires an Internet connection even for its single player and the only thing that really makes it worth playing is if you're more of a casual gamer, One that doesn't play for more than an hour or so a day. Expand
  7. Jul 8, 2013
    My rating of 3/10 is based solely on the fact that the game combines a rarity for the Xbox 360, a free game with multiplayer support.

I've beaten all the CPU opponents I bothered with by just dual-wielding daggers and hitting the Y button...a lot.

Add to that some nagging loading times, and mediocre graphics....will be interesting to follow in the future though, the potential for a
    great game is there Expand
  8. Oct 7, 2013
    Another free-to-play title to grace the XBOX 360. Unfortunately, it's not as good as I thought it would be. Combat's decent enough, and building up a roster of gladiators with different weapons and equipment is an interesting concept, but connection problems (it is a free-to-play title, after all) hurt this game in the long run. You'll be spending more time dealing with server maintenance than actually playing the game. Mediocre graphics, sub-par sounds and repetitive fights don't help matters. While Primus Fights offer perks, they do little to offset the repetitive fights, and weapon restrictions don't help either. And of course, the much-maligned microtransaction favor pay-to-win gear over simple cosmetic choices like in Defiance. If you're looking for a good (I use that term lightly) free-to-play game on the 360, go with Ascend: Hand of Kul. It may have its flaws, but they're not nearly as bad as this game's. Expand
  9. Jun 30, 2013
    I'm not sure what this game wants to be. As a show tie in, it fails. As a fighting game, it fails. And as a free to play game, it is designed to get it's hands in your wallet with out even taking you on a romantic date before it does. Movie and tv show tie ins can be done well, as can free to play games. But given the fact these two forces are often designed to be as money grubbing as possible, while simultaneously riding the success of a bigger driving force. Aka riding the free to play bandwagon and the coat tails of a popular hollywood venture. Spartacus Legends is the worst of both worlds. Expand
  10. Jul 4, 2013
    For being free I can't really complain to much it has potential but gets old quick but upgrading armor and equipment upgrades makes it at least a little entertaining but overall a boring fighter
  11. Jul 16, 2013
    Looked good but failed it's potential. It's combat system is sluggish and the AI keeps on spamming a single attack constantly un till you die or rage quit the game. The Xbox live matches keep disconnecting constantly. This game had a-lot of potential but it came out in a pitiful state, until a patch comes through that fixes these problems then this game is far from successful.
  12. Sep 8, 2013
    If you enjoy the same thing over and over and over.....this game may be for you.

I logged off after about 2 hours and never logged back in.

Free is free but poo is still poo.
  13. Sep 10, 2013
    Score of three, purely because of the TV series.
    The game is awful, really unimaginative and lacks everything that is needed to make a good game.
    Glad it was free download, would not have even paid £0.69 for it if it was an app.
  14. Jan 16, 2014
    Fun but suffers from free to play. $150 asking price? Why not polish and sell retail at $60? Insane greedy publishers? 10/10. Worth an all nighter but no more.
  15. Jun 9, 2014
    I played this game for almost 2 weeks for about 30 minutes a day. I competed in 2 tournaments and rather enjoyed the game play but the rewards were totally useless. Ubisoft expects you compete for rewards of the level you are when you start the tournament. After a week and several hours of competition you get a reward that would be very nice if you were not 12 levels higher than when you started, making the rewards absolutely worthless by the time you obtain them.

Ubisoft flat states they do not want feedback from the users of the game on their website. Attempting to contact Ubisoft resulted my spending 2 hours searching their website. I was rewarded with absolutely nothing. No email address or any other information on how to contact tech support or any other help. other than a UK phone number. I didn't call it but from my experience with their website, I would guess the phone is probably manned every other Saturday from 11 to noon.

The forum section of their website does not function at all. I tried with several different browsers and they just fail to connect. So forget about discussing the game with other players that way.

The game was fun for a short time but the novelty quickly wears off especially when faced with the constant server problems(failing to connect to a server will cause you to spend 5-30 minutes just getting connected each time you attempt to play) and the game completely freezes my xbox forcing me to restart on a rather frequent basis.

Finally but not the least of the problems is the matching feature which allows you to compete with other players. Anyone of even modest intelligence would know that pitting players against others that are drastically different in experience level is just asking for trouble from both sides. An experienced player finds a new player to be of no challenge, and combined with a 5 minute or longer wait for a match is very frustrating. The new player gets frustrated quickly when being constantly confronted with players that are at the maximum level in the game and geared in way they cannot compete with. You cannot buy gear, even with real money, that is more than about 3 levels above you but you can be matched to fight a player 20 or even 25 levels higher than you by the matching system..
  16. Jun 28, 2013

1. Aug 16, 2013
    It's a bad game compromised further by awkward monetisation. [Issue#101, p.84]
  2. Jul 30, 2013
    Better exploitation of the license would allow Spartacus Legends of becoming a title unavoidable at least for fans of the TV series.
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    Legends has missed the point of the business model entirely, giving unfortunate players a choice of grinding through shallow, unfulfilling and downright ugly combat, or forking out substantial amounts of real money to bypass said mediocrity. [Sept 2013, p.71]