8.7

1. Aug 7, 2013
    I first got this game for my Nintendo Wii when I was 11, and I was blown away. This game was mature, dark, and gritty for a Spider-Man game, and being an 11 year old who only had a Wii (which is quite limited in it's mature titles), this was something entirely new to me. And there was one thing that I remembered above everything else: This game had a great story. I must have played this game over 5 times on my Wii, and it never got old. Sadly I lost my disc for my Wii, and I forgot about it over the years.

As I grew older I've remembered it more and more. Now, as a 16 year old, I have repurchased a copy for the Xbox 360, 5 years after first experiencing it. the biggest reason for my purchase was the nostalgia factor, as this was my favorite game as a kid. But as most people know, nostalgia can be a double-edged sword. If you hold nostalgia for something (especially a video game) it is usually best not to play it again, as it may not be the same as you remembered and it could ruin your memories.

But I'm proud to announce that this is not the case for this game. Spider-Man: Web of Shadows is still one of the best games I've ever played even in my teenage years. The story is still really good, and the combat is flashy and insane, especially the airborne combat. But this is nowhere near a perfect game.

There are many audio glitches, where sometimes the voices or all audio in general cut out. Also some audio doesn't sync very well. The camera is also a big problem for me as well, which is odd because I didn't have a problem with it on the Wii (but being a child at the time I didn't really care if something was good or bad. Hell, I loved Godzilla: Unleashed, which is considered a horrible game). Also, Spider-Man sounds so annoying!

All-in-all, this game is well worth a purchase. The story is great and dark, the combat is flashy, and it's still one of the best games I've ever played. I don't understand why the game critics despised this game, but I'm glad to see that the users all agree that this game is something special: A truly great Spider-Man game, and a great game in general.
  2. Jul 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played Spider-man 1 and 2 for PS2 and Spider-man 3 for the Wii. Also, the N64 one, and Maximum Carnage on SNES. I liked Maximum Carnage better than this game.. but anyway, compared to the ones that are similar to it, this Spider-man game has enjoyable movement controls and combat controls, but it loses interest heavily in it's weak cutscenes that don't seem to line up with what's really going on: Black Widow says you're under arrest in a cutscene, but then the next moment you're just walking around somewhere else. I also found the missions to be the same repetitive "Beat up 30 of this enemy then go report back to the quest-giver" all the way to the end of the game. I don't regret playing it but it's really just a tedious game that kids will like because it's about Spider-man. Expand
  3. Jan 18, 2013
    My favorite Spider-man Game ever. The combat system takes the cake. It is incredible. It doesn't matter what suit you wear the combat is awesome. The Red suit offers more graceful and quick hitting moves while the black suit gives you much more powerful and in your face attacks. New Game plus allows for you to carry your collectibles that boost your health and special bars as well as well as all the moves you've unlocked.

While the side missions are repetitive I didn't care. The fighting system kept me entertained through out the game and another 3 runs after. I got almost every collectible beside around 25 to 50 of them which is a first for me in a spider man game and I got every achievement. The story is goofy, but it's there so that the combat system can be used a lot. The boss fights beside the final are all great and the moral choices only really matter at one point and then again during the "spoiler". The art style is great and this game really makes you feel like Spider-man. This is a fantastic game and is a must have for any Spider-man fan.
  4. Dec 10, 2010
    Web of Shadows is easily the best Spider Man game to date. It's loads of fun and has a great story. Plenty of appearances from some of the great Marvel characters, both heroes and villains alike. The combat has been tweaked a little from previous games, it feels a little more fluid and realistic. You are able to switch from the red and black suits at will, each with their own combat styles, unlike the blandness of the Spider Man 3 game suits, and its actually closer to the real comic look on top of it. The wall combat is a nice little new addition as well, it's really fun to fight on the side of buildings and the like.The system still isn't really perfect, with some moves being repetitive but it works out in the end. Swinging through the streets of New York is as fun as ever, personally I don't know if it will ever grow old on me. The combat skill tree is easy enough to manage, and your points are added at a good pace to the time you come around to needing them in the story, so you're not too overpowered at any one point. My only serious gripe is the voice actor they chose for Spider Man. He's way too squeaky and childlike for my tastes. I wasn't expecting a deep booming voice or anything, because obviously that wouldn't fit Peter's character, but they could of done better in their choice of actor. Even so, that didn't ruin the game for me. Any fan of the ol' web head out there should definitely enjoy this game. Collapse
  5. Dec 10, 2010

1. It's a lot like its hero: packed with character, impressively capable, and never puts a foot wrong. What higher praise for a licensed game is there than that?
    Activision and Shaba were given a blank slate to create whatever Spider-inspired tale they wanted, and they put together a game starring a whiney hero, a foggy story, repetitive gameplay, and a focus on pretty combat combos instead of engaging combat mechanics.
  3. Spider-man: Web of Shadows is a great super hero game for the Xbox 360, and one of the best Spider-man games to date. Players looking for a new game to quench their super hero fix will not be disappointed.