8.6

1. KennyP.
    Oct 23, 2008
    This game is really fun. I went back to play GTA4 for a little bit after playing spiderman and GTA was so slow. Even the running and car driving. So went back to spiderman and was killing guys two hundred feet up a building.
  2. ColinJiang
    Dec 1, 2008
    This game is a way better version than the last games and completely destroys the thought that all spiderman games suck. But the game gets boring and soon you use the same attacks over and over again. Such as you just use a web kick turn on your black suite and finish them off there's no change and the upgrades are really weird. But it still doesn't ruin the fact the game rulesThis game is a way better version than the last games and completely destroys the thought that all spiderman games suck. But the game gets boring and soon you use the same attacks over and over again. Such as you just use a web kick turn on your black suite and finish them off there's no change and the upgrades are really weird. But it still doesn't ruin the fact the game rules for the first 60% so its still a really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really fun, boring, the same old thing, but awsome. Collapse
  3. LennyB.
    Oct 23, 2008
    starts a little slowly but by the time you start fighting kingpin guys is really awesome and epic. I feel like I can beat up 100 guys without touching the ground. And the symbiotes on the walls are great. I am almost done beating it already and then I will play again making "red" choices.
  4. MikeKing
    Oct 30, 2008
    The Best Spider Man Game To Date. Period. Starting with the downsides, which are things that have plagued these games from the beginning is the combat can be a little repetitive, and the combat mechanics can be a little screwy. Other than that, it is visually impressive, easy to learn, has a compelling storyline, reasonably challenging, and MOST IMPORTANTLY is lots of fun. I boughtThe Best Spider Man Game To Date. Period. Starting with the downsides, which are things that have plagued these games from the beginning is the combat can be a little repetitive, and the combat mechanics can be a little screwy. Other than that, it is visually impressive, easy to learn, has a compelling storyline, reasonably challenging, and MOST IMPORTANTLY is lots of fun. I bought this game and fable II at the same time. I'm about 3 hours into fable, and about 12 hours into this game. Nothing beats the fast paced combat and battling, and the combo upgrades are so much fun to use. This is the first super hero game where I actually felt I could do everything spider man can do just as naturally as it would come to him. Let's hope the franchise keeps going in this direction. Expand
  5. Jeff
    Oct 22, 2008
    I love this game - it's the best Spiderman game I've ever played, by far. Those IGN reviewers must have a grudge against activision or spiderman games or something or are living in some whacked out imaginary nostalgia of Spidey2 because there is simply no way that any previous Spiderman game can compare to this one: There's action everywhere! Bad guys to fight can be found I love this game - it's the best Spiderman game I've ever played, by far. Those IGN reviewers must have a grudge against activision or spiderman games or something or are living in some whacked out imaginary nostalgia of Spidey2 because there is simply no way that any previous Spiderman game can compare to this one: There's action everywhere! Bad guys to fight can be found left and right, swinging is fun as hell and feels super fluid, some of the missions are a bit dull but all the chaos in the world is something no other Spiderman game has done and I love it. I can be happy just fighting random bad guys all day! Expand
  6. Dec 10, 2010
    Web of Shadows is easily the best Spider Man game to date. It's loads of fun and has a great story. Plenty of appearances from some of the great Marvel characters, both heroes and villains alike. The combat has been tweaked a little from previous games, it feels a little more fluid and realistic. You are able to switch from the red and black suits at will, each with their own combatWeb of Shadows is easily the best Spider Man game to date. It's loads of fun and has a great story. Plenty of appearances from some of the great Marvel characters, both heroes and villains alike. The combat has been tweaked a little from previous games, it feels a little more fluid and realistic. You are able to switch from the red and black suits at will, each with their own combat styles, unlike the blandness of the Spider Man 3 game suits, and its actually closer to the real comic look on top of it. The wall combat is a nice little new addition as well, it's really fun to fight on the side of buildings and the like.The system still isn't really perfect, with some moves being repetitive but it works out in the end. Swinging through the streets of New York is as fun as ever, personally I don't know if it will ever grow old on me. The combat skill tree is easy enough to manage, and your points are added at a good pace to the time you come around to needing them in the story, so you're not too overpowered at any one point. My only serious gripe is the voice actor they chose for Spider Man. He's way too squeaky and childlike for my tastes. I wasn't expecting a deep booming voice or anything, because obviously that wouldn't fit Peter's character, but they could of done better in their choice of actor. Even so, that didn't ruin the game for me. Any fan of the ol' web head out there should definitely enjoy this game. Expand
  7. GeorgeC.
    Oct 22, 2008
    Reviews are way too harsh on this game. Combat is a blast. swinging through the city beating up random symbiote/bad guys is a fun for a long time. Some missions are brain dead but not as bad as say IGN's review. The ending is worth playing the game. Makes you forget the middle of the game tedium.
  8. StevenS.
    Oct 27, 2008
    I've been playing this for about 5 hours straight and I Love this game!!! I don't know what the critics are complaining about! The graphics are top notch. Spider-man's voice is very annoying but thankfully you can skip past most scenes. The controls are a little quirky. I find myself constantly changing suits in combat because it's done on the left thumbstick. Some of I've been playing this for about 5 hours straight and I Love this game!!! I don't know what the critics are complaining about! The graphics are top notch. Spider-man's voice is very annoying but thankfully you can skip past most scenes. The controls are a little quirky. I find myself constantly changing suits in combat because it's done on the left thumbstick. Some of the controls work well, some not so well but not enough to give this game below an 80. Try it before you listen to the critics. Expand
  9. jamesparker
    Feb 7, 2009
    While not the greatest game in this genre, Spidey:WoS is by far one of the best Spider-Man games out there. The story is intriguing,game play is solid,controls are nearly spot on, graphics and texturing are fantastic.
    The only draw back is the lack of DLC and somewhat repetitive missions. Although the missions are much better than the "my balloon" kid in previous incarnations.
    For a
    For a Spidey game, i wish there was a 8.75 option. For a marvel game, defiantly a jewel in the comic companies crown.
    Great fun,Great game for any fan!
  10. LandoL.
    Oct 22, 2008
    Great game! The city had far more happening in it than any other Spiderman title I've seen, the combat is fluid allowing movement between enemies unprecedented in previous titles, and black suit and red suit feel different in everything from combat to story choices to the allies assisting you.
  11. NickD
    Dec 31, 2008
    For some reason i like the freedom of webslinging through the city very enjoyable in all of the spiderman games. Though in this one you seem to be doing ALOT of it during some missions. Also it feels a little repetative and when the third boss turns out to be another villan/hero infected by the symboites you realise all the bosses are going to be one which is a bit repetative but stillFor some reason i like the freedom of webslinging through the city very enjoyable in all of the spiderman games. Though in this one you seem to be doing ALOT of it during some missions. Also it feels a little repetative and when the third boss turns out to be another villan/hero infected by the symboites you realise all the bosses are going to be one which is a bit repetative but still fun. The choice system is very entertaining aswell, as you have yourself thinking hmmm this rhino guy just helped me so should i do the right thing or just let him escape even though its the wrong thing to do. Overall no matter what the gaming critics said above you should still buy and play this game. ITS FUN PERIOD Expand
  12. MarkC.
    Oct 29, 2008
    I love this game! The pacing is great, with the story unfolding proportionately with the upgrades, so that by the time the invasion is really under way, you should be able to do anything a spider can. The new 3-D combat is fantastic; unlike previous games, you don't have to search for the action, as there are plenty of enemies to keep you cracking skulls for hours. While some people I love this game! The pacing is great, with the story unfolding proportionately with the upgrades, so that by the time the invasion is really under way, you should be able to do anything a spider can. The new 3-D combat is fantastic; unlike previous games, you don't have to search for the action, as there are plenty of enemies to keep you cracking skulls for hours. While some people will complain about the absence of races and collectible comics, there are LOADS of spider tokens to find, in fact there are over two thousand collectible tokens in Web of Shadows. Fub for hours, best Spidey game ever! Expand
  13. Aug 7, 2013
    I first got this game for my Nintendo Wii when I was 11, and I was blown away. This game was mature, dark, and gritty for a Spider-Man game, and being an 11 year old who only had a Wii (which is quite limited in it's mature titles), this was something entirely new to me. And there was one thing that I remembered above everything else: This game had a great story. I must have played thisI first got this game for my Nintendo Wii when I was 11, and I was blown away. This game was mature, dark, and gritty for a Spider-Man game, and being an 11 year old who only had a Wii (which is quite limited in it's mature titles), this was something entirely new to me. And there was one thing that I remembered above everything else: This game had a great story. I must have played this game over 5 times on my Wii, and it never got old. Sadly I lost my disc for my Wii, and I forgot about it over the years.

As I grew older I've remembered it more and more. Now, as a 16 year old, I have repurchased a copy for the Xbox 360, 5 years after first experiencing it. the biggest reason for my purchase was the nostalgia factor, as this was my favorite game as a kid. But as most people know, nostalgia can be a double-edged sword. If you hold nostalgia for something (especially a video game) it is usually best not to play it again, as it may not be the same as you remembered and it could ruin your memories.

But I'm proud to announce that this is not the case for this game. Spider-Man: Web of Shadows is still one of the best games I've ever played even in my teenage years. The story is still really good, and the combat is flashy and insane, especially the airborne combat. But this is nowhere near a perfect game.

There are many audio glitches, where sometimes the voices or all audio in general cut out. Also some audio doesn't sync very well. The camera is also a big problem for me as well, which is odd because I didn't have a problem with it on the Wii (but being a child at the time I didn't really care if something was good or bad. Hell, I loved Godzilla: Unleashed, which is considered a horrible game). Also, Spider-Man sounds so annoying!

All-in-all, this game is well worth a purchase. The story is great and dark, the combat is flashy, and it's still one of the best games I've ever played. I don't understand why the game critics despised this game, but I'm glad to see that the users all agree that this game is something special: A truly great Spider-Man game, and a great game in general.
  14. Jul 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played Spider-man 1 and 2 for PS2 and Spider-man 3 for the Wii. Also, the N64 one, and Maximum Carnage on SNES. I liked Maximum Carnage better than this game.. but anyway, compared to the ones that are similar to it, this Spider-man game has enjoyable movement controls and combat controls, but it loses interest heavily in it's weak cutscenes that don't seem to line up with what's really going on: Black Widow says you're under arrest in a cutscene, but then the next moment you're just walking around somewhere else. I also found the missions to be the same repetitive "Beat up 30 of this enemy then go report back to the quest-giver" all the way to the end of the game. I don't regret playing it but it's really just a tedious game that kids will like because it's about Spider-man. Expand
  15. AndyWhy
    Oct 22, 2008
    Bliss - at last a good Spidey game Leaves SM2 way behind, and that was the best before this Been an awesome pair of days - now must go to work.
  16. Jan 18, 2013
    My favorite Spider-man Game ever. The combat system takes the cake. It is incredible. It doesn't matter what suit you wear the combat is awesome. The Red suit offers more graceful and quick hitting moves while the black suit gives you much more powerful and in your face attacks. New Game plus allows for you to carry your collectibles that boost your health and special bars as well as wellMy favorite Spider-man Game ever. The combat system takes the cake. It is incredible. It doesn't matter what suit you wear the combat is awesome. The Red suit offers more graceful and quick hitting moves while the black suit gives you much more powerful and in your face attacks. New Game plus allows for you to carry your collectibles that boost your health and special bars as well as well as all the moves you've unlocked.

While the side missions are repetitive I didn't care. The fighting system kept me entertained through out the game and another 3 runs after. I got almost every collectible beside around 25 to 50 of them which is a first for me in a spider man game and I got every achievement. The story is goofy, but it's there so that the combat system can be used a lot. The boss fights beside the final are all great and the moral choices only really matter at one point and then again during the "spoiler". The art style is great and this game really makes you feel like Spider-man. This is a fantastic game and is a must have for any Spider-man fan.
  17. Apr 29, 2014
    Spider-Man Web of Shadows. I reviewed the Amazing Spider-Man yesterday in order to build up hype for the sequel which came out today. Before the game finally unlocks on Steam, I felt like I should review this little old Spider-Man game from 2008. This game's premise has a lot of potential. It's about what could happen if Spider-Man's black suit got a little more out of control thenSpider-Man Web of Shadows. I reviewed the Amazing Spider-Man yesterday in order to build up hype for the sequel which came out today. Before the game finally unlocks on Steam, I felt like I should review this little old Spider-Man game from 2008. This game's premise has a lot of potential. It's about what could happen if Spider-Man's black suit got a little more out of control then normal. In other words, it gets to the point where all of New York is invaded by a symbiote horde that takes control of citizens, and its up to Spider-Man to team up with who's left, and stop them. So, does this game's potential build up to an absolutely fantastic game, or does this game hide in the shadows while the rest of the Spider-Man games take home all of the glory? Let's find out. The gameplay of this game has many of the same problems as most other Spider-Man games. In other words, I'll sum it up with the following question: Could the gameplay be anymore redundant? The gameplay of this game is very repetitive. You'll find that you're fighting many of the same enemies over and over again. The entire game is set in an open world New York City for Spider-Man to swing around in. It starts out the way it normally does in most Spider-Man games, but as the game progresses, more and more people get infected with symbiotes, and the city eventually becomes consumed by them. Spider-Man has a symbiote of his own, and you can switch between his regular suit and his black suit at anytime. Both suits have a completely different fighting style. Red suit Spider-Man relies mostly on web attacks and speed, where black suit Spider-Man relies entirely on brute strength and raw power. I thought this was really cool. Despite this however, the gameplay is still very redundant. As I said, you'll be fighting many of the same enemies over and over, with few variations whatsoever to the combat. Most of the combat is literally just mashing the x button. The combat is much more explosive than any other Spider-Man game, but that's about the only real difference here. There are also some pretty entertaining boss battles in this game which can be very fun to play. However, the end of these battles is almost always a quick-time event, which can be very frustrating, especially if you think quick-time events suck. I also encountered a lot of bugs and glitches while playing Web of Shadows. They range from game freezes to instant death for no good reason. I wouldn't say that this game's gameplay is bad, but I don't think it's good either. It's more on the lukewarm side. As for the graphics, they are also on the lukewarm side. The graphics of this game are decent, but don't quite reach what I've come to expect from a home console like the Xbox 360. Before anyone even mentions that this game was from 2008, let me just say that The Orange Box and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion were both already out by the time of this game's release, and they looked absolutely stunning in the graphics department. Therefore, saying that this game was from 2008 is pretty much no excuse. The graphics of this game look only slightly upgraded from last gen. In other words, they come so close to looking like graphics that on the original Xbox rather than the 360. However, they just barely qualify as 360 graphics. The graphics of this game are decent overall, but not great. As for the story, this is probably the game's strongest aspect. Overall, the game's story is great. I already told you the premise, a symbiote invasion in New York. However, that's not the best part of the story. What is the best part of this game's story is how you get to decide what happens. Throughout the game, you have to decide the fate of the people who want to help you in New York. You can choose either the red suit path (good path) or the black suit path (bad path). You'll see what I mean if you get this game. The voice acting in this game is rather terrible however, and there are a few parts of the story that don't totally add up, but overall, I think the story of the game is great. This is a game that I can easily recommend to die hard Spider-Man fans. They will love this game very much. To everyone else however, I don't believe you'll be missing out on much if you don't get this game. The story is good, but everything else is a bit on the lukewarm side.
    Gameplay: 6/10
    Graphics: 6/10
    Story: 8/10
    Overall: 7/10
  18. Dec 17, 2014
    I don't care what do critics say. Game's amazing.

Fighting system - one of the best in 3D actions. Tons of combos and possibilities. NY is stylised as NY of 90's, like in comics of my childhood. It has stunning graphics for it's time and the original plot. However, I felt a little lack of Peter Parker himself actually. And yeah, we spend too much time in NY under symbiotes. I mean it
    I don't care what do critics say. Game's amazing.

However, I felt a little lack of Peter Parker himself actually. And yeah, we spend too much time in NY under symbiotes. I mean it looks cool as well but I missed a normal NY with it's usual views. But it OK btw.

Game is stunning, epic and i'm tires of critics that don't accept ORIGINAL and INNOVATIVE ideas actually in gaming industry. Web Of SHadows is that kind of stories, that could bring something new in Spidey's games.

And casuals who think that battle system is too difficult - GTFO playing games on tablets and smartpones. Gameplay and fighting systems is the first thing why I fell inlove with this games. Other aspects are very important either.

My score is solid 9. It's f*&^ing IDEAL 3d superhero action with magic atmosphere of spidey of 90's. God Bless gaming designers and those who made this fantasting fighting system.
  19. Jan 6, 2016
    MY FAVORITE SPIDER MAN GAME IN HISTORY!!! The fact that you can switch between suits at anytime is amazing. Combat and swinging was fluent and easy to use. The story was unlike any other that kept pushing me to finish it. I always got the bad ending though. I liked it.

1. It's a lot like its hero: packed with character, impressively capable, and never puts a foot wrong. What higher praise for a licensed game is there than that?
    Activision and Shaba were given a blank slate to create whatever Spider-inspired tale they wanted, and they put together a game starring a whiney hero, a foggy story, repetitive gameplay, and a focus on pretty combat combos instead of engaging combat mechanics.
  3. Spider-man: Web of Shadows is a great super hero game for the Xbox 360, and one of the best Spider-man games to date. Players looking for a new game to quench their super hero fix will not be disappointed.