8.0

1. Apr 20, 2014
    Buying Blur and Split/Second at a similar time has resulted in inevitable comparisons, and while I find Blur to be the superior game, Split/Second is far from a bad one and its personal preference at this point as to what people prefer.

The sense of speed and sheer intensity when everything is exploding is in its favour, but it gets a bit too repetitive for my liking. A few more tracks or maps would have done a world of good to the racing. The level 2 plays are someones true racing fantasy being played out on screen, but its just not to my taste. It has a bit in common with Burnout revenge with its art style and racing theme of battling over racing which I do like since no other game has done that for me in years.

Worth a look for arcade racers and thrillseekers alike
  2. Oct 1, 2010
    Best adrenaline speed arcade game since Burnout Revenge, simply excellent fun! I read in another review that with this game less is more, I categorically agree! There are few game modes such as race, air revenge, time trial, elimination and survival, all of them make the hairs stand on the back of your neck especially with the faster unlocked cars. Online/split screen functions are basic,Best adrenaline speed arcade game since Burnout Revenge, simply excellent fun! I read in another review that with this game less is more, I categorically agree! There are few game modes such as race, air revenge, time trial, elimination and survival, all of them make the hairs stand on the back of your neck especially with the faster unlocked cars. Online/split screen functions are basic, yet the sheer scale and depth of the racing and cars completely justify it's existence. Burnout had several different game defining features, SS defining feature is the ability to blow up the environment around you and boy does it create great mayhem! The only problem with this feature is though online experienced players will easily dodge them, and due to the sheer speed you'll doing crashing into your own explosions will happen too many times. However if you love arcading racing at it's best, you owe it to yourself to buy this buy, switch off the irritating music and let the excellent game do the rest! Midnight Club and Need for Speed are utterly pants compared to this, Disney have done well after the disappointing Pure. Expand
  3. Dec 30, 2010
    An arcade racer at heart, Split/Second delievers heart pounding, fast and fun gameplay. The variety of racing modes keeps the gameplay fresh and the trigger events are a sight to see. The downsides? It just needs a few more tracks, and toward the later levels the A.I. can get nasty with the rubberbanding. Otherwise one of the best modern racers out there up with Burnout Paradise.
  4. May 31, 2013
    Mix of NFS Most Wanted and Flatout 2. Great game with simple but very good game play. Need real skills to win some events. Hope they will make sequel. I love it.
  5. Apr 7, 2012
    Split Second is a great take on arcade racing. The games advantage system is highly unique. Instead of boost ect. you can only get huge passes by blowing stuff up to sabotage opponents. it is not like a fire and forget (red shells), but with every power play, you have to time it for the best usage. the season play (career mode) has an ok difficulty curve, especially near the end. thisSplit Second is a great take on arcade racing. The games advantage system is highly unique. Instead of boost ect. you can only get huge passes by blowing stuff up to sabotage opponents. it is not like a fire and forget (red shells), but with every power play, you have to time it for the best usage. the season play (career mode) has an ok difficulty curve, especially near the end. this is more so because of the power plays, not the AI. the lack of alot of tracks (11) is made up for in what you can do with them. i have not played multiplayer, but I did play the demo for it. some cars are impossible to use online, but the game is till good nonetheless. if you are looking for an easy game, this is a no no. But otherwise, very good and I highly recommend it. Expand
  6. Dec 14, 2010
    The ecstasy and the agony. Split/Second start out with a bang. Giant set pieces exploding all around you and races that literally come down to a split second. The first few hours are blissfully spent racing, setting off explosions, and gaping. The game looks like a perfect 10. Then when the game hits its stride, it slaps you upside the head with its stupidly awful, unforgivable a.i, anThe ecstasy and the agony. Split/Second start out with a bang. Giant set pieces exploding all around you and races that literally come down to a split second. The first few hours are blissfully spent racing, setting off explosions, and gaping. The game looks like a perfect 10. Then when the game hits its stride, it slaps you upside the head with its stupidly awful, unforgivable a.i, an a.i. that I score an abysmal 0.

The a.i. controlled cars do not really race better then you, they race with cars much, much faster than yours. The only worse crime than nerfing the player's car is enchanting the a.i. cars with magical powers. Seeing the pack blast pass you at nearly twice your speed is disheartening. Seeing them blast pass you in the very same car you have is gut wrenching. Seeing them blast pass you when you are just a few hundred virtual feet from the finish will make you want to throw your controller at your television. It gets worse, though, as the a.i. will often manage to end up more than 8 seconds ahead of you, well out of sight and well beyond your ability to even the odds with "power plays". This a.i. behavior defeats the entire premise of the game. Correcting a.i. behavior seems like a simple fix: tell the a.i. cars to stop cheating. The terribly programmed a.i. begs the question whether Black Rock even play test this game. I know they did, because they had a limited beta. Normally when a game developer has a beta or hires play testers, they do it to learn things. Maybe they forgot that players like to win once in a while. In fact, players like to win all the time. No one and I mean NO ONE buys a racing game to lose. I almost feel that this game needs a casual mode. I mean "almost" because no racing game should be this frustrating difficult.

Most of the reviews for this game are positive, but I think that is the result of playing the game for only a few hours. The fun really drops off after the half way point and never picks up again. The reviewers never got to the point where they were playing the same tracks over and over, beautiful though the tracks may be. The reviewers never had to race against a pack of SUV that accelerate faster than a Formula 1 race car. The reviewers never had to replay races over and over to try to win a new car in the hopes that this one might give them the edge, only to find out that the stats on the car really don't matter. Fittingly, the shoddy artificial intelligence was followed by shoddy natural intelligence.

The graphics, sound, and concept are superb. A shame all that work goes to waste because Black Rock does not understand the single player experience. I wonder if Black Rock ever calculated the number of lost sales as frustrated and disheartened players sent their copies of Split/Second onto the used market. I know that is the fate of my copy. As for a sequel, seriously why bother? Black Rock has filled its customer base with negative memories towards its product. Who really wants to relive that sinking feeling when you lost that race for the 5th time because the a.i. can cheat? My advice to Black Rock, patch the original or get out of the racing genre.
  7. Jun 24, 2013
    To start, I think this game is 10 times better than Blur. Why?

To start, I think this game is 10 times better than Blur. Why?

Split/Second actually has a good sp. Good? Awesome. The best like "destroy the enemy" racing game I've ever met. First of all, the core mechanics are a dream. To destroy almost every single part of the city (bus, car, building, ship, overpass) gives an awesome feeling. Including the really good cars and the fair AI. Also, the pretty unique game modes like the Air Strike and the Survival are really the best. Howewer, the handling isn't too good. But I can forgive that.

This game makes a complete fun of Blur. Leaves that "game" to dust and yells out NEXT!
  8. Jun 25, 2011
    Is there any game more frenetic and fast paced as Burnout? well probably not, but Split/Second comes pretty damn close. With its environmental devastation, unique destructive gameplay and some creative race types, Split/Second is full of thrills and excitement. The debris that tares and sweeps across the track is truly incredible. However, this excitement is somewhat dimmed by predictableIs there any game more frenetic and fast paced as Burnout? well probably not, but Split/Second comes pretty damn close. With its environmental devastation, unique destructive gameplay and some creative race types, Split/Second is full of thrills and excitement. The debris that tares and sweeps across the track is truly incredible. However, this excitement is somewhat dimmed by predictable trap layouts and a general lack of courses. Further more, it is likely not going to sustain the same amount of play time as core rival Blur. If you had to plump for one over the other, then as far as thrills and excitement goes, you should probably stick with Split/Second despite the lack of content and sustainability. Expand
  9. Jul 25, 2012
    I bought blur and split/ second and I can tell you that the latter is by far and a way the best. I just love the action and thrill that the game brings. This game requires not only driving skill but it also requires forward planning and tactics in order to secure a win. You will love getting to know each track and the big power plays that come with them. Online is frustrating becauseI bought blur and split/ second and I can tell you that the latter is by far and a way the best. I just love the action and thrill that the game brings. This game requires not only driving skill but it also requires forward planning and tactics in order to secure a win. You will love getting to know each track and the big power plays that come with them. Online is frustrating because everyone is so good but that was inevitable. In response to the rather critical review below I would say this: Yes the game is hard but not as you describe. With determination and effort you can complete it (the achievement for this is ranked my most valuable on the website true achievement.com). The only criticism I have is that detonator is too difficult and boring anyway(it's similar to time trial). Expand
  10. Mar 28, 2012
    Difficult competence. Split/Second is really interesting, and funny, but the biggest problem is... Blur. Ths game is like a new Burnout, and have much amazing things, but the second have a new fresh idea. But in the rest Second is a great game.
  11. Nov 19, 2014
    This games pretty amazing, great graphics explosions,mingames, races, etc. But it doesn't really change the racing genre, due to the fact that:

It's very simple, and it feels like it's for people who aren't fimilar with racing games, or children It's lacks crash physics ( You can go at 5 miles per hour and hit a side real, and car will be totaled) Cars can't be rammed off the road.

Cars can't be rammed off the road.
    There's no free roam.

This is a great game however it can't go toe to toe with NFS, Midnight Club, Morta Foraza, or Burn out for that matter.
  12. Sep 23, 2014
    This is a great racing game and I am not big into racing games... Just play it and find out for yourself. For starters this game will kinda remind you of racing games like Burnout Revenge except with a pin and you will dig all the shortcut routes you can take in the game also. Even if you do not like racing games I would at least give this game a chance, it is worth your time.
  13. Jan 31, 2015
    I truly liked this racing game a lot and I am not a fan of racing games at all. Split second is a lot like Burnout revenge with a unique twist... I let a friend play it who was a big fan of racing games and he loved it in all honesty!!! You can get the game for a decent price and has a decent online multiplier community, so I say its worth every bit of 15 to 20 bucks and you will get moreI truly liked this racing game a lot and I am not a fan of racing games at all. Split second is a lot like Burnout revenge with a unique twist... I let a friend play it who was a big fan of racing games and he loved it in all honesty!!! You can get the game for a decent price and has a decent online multiplier community, so I say its worth every bit of 15 to 20 bucks and you will get more than you paid for :) This game is a must have!!!! Expand

1. In all, I think Black Rock has really established itself as a powerhouse in the arcade/action racing genre and Split Second is on the top of my racing pile. It's refreshing to see developers exploring new options rather than just adding another year onto the title.
  2. With tracks ravaged and different for every lap and timed explosives akin to Mario Kart, Split/Second just overtook Burnout and sped through its burning wreckage.
  3. Split/Second is one of those games that has a really solid concept and runs with it from start to finish. What ends up happening with this game though is that it looses that initial flare and ends up fizzling into a pretty standard arcade racing title.