SSX Xbox 360

6.4

1. Mar 23, 2012
    I bought this game thinking it would be at least similar to SSX 3 (Which happens to be one of my favorite games). However I played about 3 races and realized it is nothing like it. I just can't have fun with the game. More often than not I just end up riding up a wall if I'm not just using the worthless "rewind" feature. I really want to like the game but I just can't. It feels blandI bought this game thinking it would be at least similar to SSX 3 (Which happens to be one of my favorite games). However I played about 3 races and realized it is nothing like it. I just can't have fun with the game. More often than not I just end up riding up a wall if I'm not just using the worthless "rewind" feature. I really want to like the game but I just can't. It feels bland compared to 3. Bought it today and I plan on returning it today. Expand
  2. Mar 3, 2012
    I was excited for this game like any SSX fan was. After all, it is hailed as the best snowboarding game series ever, right? Remember the days of SSX Tricky & SSX 3, where you could pull off ridiculous combinations of tricks you'll never see in real life? Remember your willingness to beat your best racing times? Remember the awesome, vivid, wacky course designs? And remember when eachI was excited for this game like any SSX fan was. After all, it is hailed as the best snowboarding game series ever, right? Remember the days of SSX Tricky & SSX 3, where you could pull off ridiculous combinations of tricks you'll never see in real life? Remember your willingness to beat your best racing times? Remember the awesome, vivid, wacky course designs? And remember when each character had a vibrant, unique personality with their own tricks to boot?

Well, throw away all of that. While you still pull off superhuman tricks on your board this time around, now you have to watch where you do it. Racing times are now a frustrating endeavor to undertake because of the damn pits of death, and there's nothing wacky and interesting about either the courses or the characters. There's an overbearing layer of mind-numbing trial & error and sheer frustration that mostly undermines the elements that made this series so great.

Don't get me wrong, the courses are still neat. They're mapped from actual mountains and touched up by the development team for added flavor. But I don't know who thought it was a good idea to throw in those god awful pits of death. Yeah, you read it right...pits. Of. Death. You fall in them, you have to restart. Sure, there's a new rewind feature to remedy your often accidental plunges into doom, but it's shoddy and is a total last-resort method to POSSIBLY put you back into the race.

We never had to go through those before.

There are also hiccups in the very course designs themselves. It is most noticeable when there is an obstructive object that is hugging a cliff or other sheer vertical face. Numerous times now, I have made a jump off a kicker and landed right into the space between one said object and the cliff, stuck, and being forced purely because of bad course design to rewind, putting myself in a bad position because other riders are not affected by this action. You lose points, you lose time, you lose the chance to rectify a mistake you often have little control in avoiding; all when you use the rewind function. Sure, it helps in some cases, but it's almost always detrimental. Which compounds the frustration that smacks you in the face at almost all times.

Graphically, it's just what you need from a snowboarding game of present; it runs at a steady thirty frames-per-second, there are lots of neat particles and convincing snow effects, character design is pretty good and is perhaps the only way the characters stand out from each other, and lighting is solid. But you won't get graphical achievements here.

Audio is good in almost every way. The soundtrack is a redeeming quality for the game, with a varied but contemporary offering of electro-pop, dubstep, hip-hop, and other popular genres of music of the times. They're modified depending on your tricking performance. When you are in base Tricky! mode (the letters appear in ice-blue on your screen) the infamous Run DmC! track that is now synonymous with the series starts playing. When you pull off another insane combo, you may go into full-on Tricky! mode where the letters are glowing orange. The track at hand takes on a dub-step vibe. As you continue pumping out the big tricks, you keep this sequence going longer. Nothing wrong here.

Again, though, there's no lasting quality to the voice acting, which was prevalent in older installments. Gone are the ways of wacky one-liners and stand-up comedy antics from your characters. Sure, they each have their own signature move, but that's it. The helicopter pilots are simply there to commend you, guide you, or give you obvious pointers as to your progress (you're the champion, hehe!). In-between important runs and the changing of mountains, cut-scenes that overview what is to come are narrated by an anonymous voice that won't bore you, but won't invigorate you either. Where's the fun factor, yet?

To begin the end, I have to say I was highly disappointed with this game. Each time I play a run with the many pits of death to be encountered, I think, "these guys shouldn't make an SSX game ever again", and I stand by it even twenty-minutes after my last playthrough. Whoever thought they were a good idea needs to go back to the drawing board and try again. They're not fun, they're just a detriment. They're fine in a game like Jet Moto, since they're actually advertised in those games; but here, they slow you down or completely kill an otherwise blast of a game. If they scrapped that crap altogether, this would be a monumental title for current gamers to enjoy. And if they included more interaction and more fun, and if it took itself less seriously then it would be doubly more enjoyable. As it stands, though, it's an exercise in tedium and frustration, which is unlike anything in the series before it. Too much trial and error, and too little sheer fun (think SSX Tricky and 3), makes Jack a dull boy.
  3. Feb 28, 2012
    I actually had a chance to play this game 4 days before it was released. After putting in a good 15-20 hours, This game is better than what I had expected. The game-play is extremely addicting and never seems to get old. The game is still not repetitive even after doing all the descents. The first time you get into Super Tricky mode and you hear run start singing it's EPIC! The variety ofI actually had a chance to play this game 4 days before it was released. After putting in a good 15-20 hours, This game is better than what I had expected. The game-play is extremely addicting and never seems to get old. The game is still not repetitive even after doing all the descents. The first time you get into Super Tricky mode and you hear run start singing it's EPIC! The variety of the different areas is very impressive. EA Canada really did go all out with the creativity in equipment needed for the different mountain ranges. The survival stages are a great new and intense addition to the series. Loading times seem almost non-existent at times, which may not be a big deal but I think it's great. Using RiderNet gives you the ability to compete in races online with ghosts is really cool because you don't have to be on the at the same time to play with a friend technically. The music is fresh and is really unique how it mixes the songs based on how you move and tricks you do, It also works with your own custom music. The few negatives I thought are that there's no option for 2 player split-screen, No lobbies or match-making for "Live" multiplayer races. Even with the multiplayer being a bit non-traditional, the new take on online is actually very convenient and I actually like it. Overall this is a game that should not be missed. If you are an ssx vet, you will feel like a kid again playing this game. This game and Twisted Metal IMO, bring back the fun in games and game play. Back when the industry thought more about game play than graphics. I highly recommend this game for anyone looking for a genuinely fun time. Collapse
  4. Mar 10, 2012
    I'm guessing that whoever called the shots on SSX, Tricky and SSX3 wasn't a part of this game. I bought it because it looked and smelled like a real SSX game. Unfortunately, after playing it for a couple of hours, I gave it to a friend. The people making this new SSX didn't seem to understand the basics of what make a good SSX game. My guess is that they spent all of their time onI'm guessing that whoever called the shots on SSX, Tricky and SSX3 wasn't a part of this game. I bought it because it looked and smelled like a real SSX game. Unfortunately, after playing it for a couple of hours, I gave it to a friend. The people making this new SSX didn't seem to understand the basics of what make a good SSX game. My guess is that they spent all of their time on trying to be "new", without figuring out how to deliver the basics of what make the game so good. I hope they either retire the franchise, or dig up the people that made the good ones. Expand
  5. Mar 8, 2012
    Frustrating and annoying are two words I'd use to describe this game. Tricky 3, was a pinball machine crossed with a fireworks display, where you tried to better your previous high score or beat your mate down the slope. This is more about memorising tracks and not making mistakes that feel like overly harsh punishments. The fun seems to have gone. The game isn't bad just not for theFrustrating and annoying are two words I'd use to describe this game. Tricky 3, was a pinball machine crossed with a fireworks display, where you tried to better your previous high score or beat your mate down the slope. This is more about memorising tracks and not making mistakes that feel like overly harsh punishments. The fun seems to have gone. The game isn't bad just not for the causal gamer like me who just wants to play not become the best in the world at it. Maybe in time I'll enjoy it more but at the moment I can't help but feel annoyed. Expand
  6. Mar 13, 2012
    It starts out fun enough... but after a day or so it gets repetative and frustrating. And including no competative multiplayer is just a result of lazy developers. This new SSX is worth a solid weekend rental, but nothing more.
  7. Mar 1, 2012
    I've played all the games in the SSX series (minus the Wii version) and had high hopes for this game but and ultimately disappointed. If this was my first SSX game i would score it an 8 but here are my reasoning for my score:
    PROS: Core elements of the game are still there with crazy tricks and a great feeling of speed. The courses for the most part are interesting and beautiful. The online mode is good if that is the kind of competition you enjoy (more for the hardcore type of gamer). The music is good in my opinion and you can play your own playlist if you like. The controls are almost perfect except for the few gimmicky options when using classic controls.
    CONS: No hand-plants? No Big Air events? No Half-pipes? Useless rewind (wish you would just spawn back where you died). I guess the idea of the game being "Deadly Descents" is carried through almost all the courses because it is very easy to fall into chasms which pretty much means you need to start the course over in race events. This game is more about being technically perfect when riding than having fun doing insane tricks and getting high scores. Every character has the same moves except for one signature move. You can't purchase new moves either. Missing split-screen and no head-to-head multi-player is a big let down for me also.
    I'm not a hardcore gamer who wants to beat the world at everything. If that is the kid of gamer you then this game would probably be right up you alley. Many aspects of this game seem to be included to ramp up the difficulty but not the fun. I just wish they would have stuck closer to the original formula and added more courses, tricks, and upgrade options.
  8. Mar 1, 2012
    Those expecting to relive the glory days of SSX tricky and 3 will find this title to be either a
  9. Mar 1, 2012
    You may either love or dislike this title depending on what you're expecting from a snowboarding game. If you love a tough, unforgiving game that challenges you to memorize the courses and punishes you for every mistake, then you may really enjoy this game. If you think snowboarding games should be about enjoying the hill any way you like, and stringing together combos without theYou may either love or dislike this title depending on what you're expecting from a snowboarding game. If you love a tough, unforgiving game that challenges you to memorize the courses and punishes you for every mistake, then you may really enjoy this game. If you think snowboarding games should be about enjoying the hill any way you like, and stringing together combos without the constant threat of bottomless pits to ruin your run, then this game will frustrate you.
    I've been a huge fan of this series since the very first, but the developers of this new SSX killed the joy of video game snowboarding for me by making it all about 'surviving the hill'. A huge disappointment.
  10. May 15, 2012
    This game is a fun game but what makes it so fun to me is the fact the snowboarding genre has been empty for quite sometime. This is a fun game and it has many different mountains to have fun on but this game didn't blow me away. The biggest flaw to me was the "Deadly Decents" this is basically the last thing you do when completing a mountain. These are extremely frustrating to complete.This game is a fun game but what makes it so fun to me is the fact the snowboarding genre has been empty for quite sometime. This is a fun game and it has many different mountains to have fun on but this game didn't blow me away. The biggest flaw to me was the "Deadly Decents" this is basically the last thing you do when completing a mountain. These are extremely frustrating to complete. Overall this game is fun. Nothing more nothing less. Expand
  11. Mar 28, 2012
    It's TRICKY!!! To write a review for this game as I am a huge fan of the original SSX and Tricky franchise and as good as this game is it is lacking in character to be honest. I'll start with the decents as enjoyable as the slopes and decents are they are not visually stunning, backgrounds are non-existent which is a real shame. Some of the older titles had really good visuals and immersedIt's TRICKY!!! To write a review for this game as I am a huge fan of the original SSX and Tricky franchise and as good as this game is it is lacking in character to be honest. I'll start with the decents as enjoyable as the slopes and decents are they are not visually stunning, backgrounds are non-existent which is a real shame. Some of the older titles had really good visuals and immersed the player deeply in the environment.

The campaign was an interesting ideal but i don't think EA put too much application to it after it left the thought bubble in pre-production. The idea for nine deadly decents was fascinating and had me hooked before release. Once i finished the story i left slightly dissappointed it was good but not SSX standards to be fair. Ridernet on the other hand was genius addition compared to its counterpart in Need For Speed titles, Ridernet suits SSX to the core. The Global challenges were also a fantastic way to compete against people from around the world without the worry of laggy sessions. Even if there was one guy who was getting 147+ million score on Serenity (which is my favourite slope i might add). What the game was lacking in the multi player section was competitive races against actual players rather than ghosts. Even if these sessions had of lagged from cross globe connections this game mode should not have been overlooked, players should have been allowed to decide to play this rather than leaving it out altogether. The lack of split screen offline play left players divided and i am on the side that thinks this should have been implemented. The magic of original SSX games was challenging your friend to a Trick It event on the same television and once this was removed it left a slight void to the games enjoyability factor.

All in all though this game had most of the charm that fans of the series know and love. The soundtrack was great in my opinion i loved how when you got enough air the song went all static. Grinding rails, trees or ice crops as well as other objects caused the song to skip like some lunatic DJ going to town on a record. The one thing that got on my nerves was tttttrrriiiicccckkkyyyyy popping up when your tricky meter filled up, just as the song was getting to a good drop or chorus but it brought back some nostalgia of days gone by. Also as far as i know this could be turned off in the options so it was not really game breaking. Something in me has to give this game a okay score as i loved the originals and maybe just maybe there could be some DLC to change some of the above letdowns i can live in hope. I am giving this a 7 out of 10 as i really enjoyed it but sometimes it left me gobsmacked like Eddie had hit me square in the face with a snowball.
  12. Apr 3, 2012
    I really loved SSX, until now. Now I just like it.
    It's not as bad as I feared, but it isn't anywhere near as good as the franchise was.
    Hopefully they can restore the franchise if it gets another chance!
  13. Apr 7, 2012
    Having love the past SSX games, I preordered my copy long ago. I loved that it was getting back to it's roots or so it seemed. The end result left a lot to be desired. Yes, almost everything is there but it seems like it's missing it's...fun! In past games I would retry slopes over and over again for the pure fun of it whereas now all I want to do is get to the finish line so I can moveHaving love the past SSX games, I preordered my copy long ago. I loved that it was getting back to it's roots or so it seemed. The end result left a lot to be desired. Yes, almost everything is there but it seems like it's missing it's...fun! In past games I would retry slopes over and over again for the pure fun of it whereas now all I want to do is get to the finish line so I can move on. The character customisation that I hoped for is basically choosing a different color outfit. Some of the most amazing peaks can only be played with survival gear which makes it more of a chore. The online play sounded awesome has a very lonely feel to it as I haven't actually played 'with' anyone, just their best times. Friends can be raced with properly but to race anyone else you need to sent friend requests to them. (Maybe I'm alone in this but I don't want to switch on my Xbox to be told I have several hundred friends online with all their notifications popping up.) Now it's not all bad though. Music is great (though I had to dramatically change the volumes so I could hear it) and although it's nice to see my fave characters return they don't seem themselves. Perhaps due to a lack of interaction? It does have some great features like the GeoTag system and the way the world map is designed. The slopes though are all very similar, no skidding though cities or down pinball style tracks. It's all snow, rocks and places to fall (there are an abundance of those by the way!). At the end of the day, I've started so I'll finish but this isn't a game that will have me wanting to play that bit extra. Expand
  14. Sep 5, 2012
    While its hard to take this game on merit alone for us who played the likes of sex tricky and SSX 3, Il try to keep it objective. Firstly there is no 2 player splitscreen mode! Major points lost there. All the riders are pretty easy to unlock within your first hour of play, unlocks have proven over time to be a great incentive to keep on playing. The only incentive I had to keep playingWhile its hard to take this game on merit alone for us who played the likes of sex tricky and SSX 3, Il try to keep it objective. Firstly there is no 2 player splitscreen mode! Major points lost there. All the riders are pretty easy to unlock within your first hour of play, unlocks have proven over time to be a great incentive to keep on playing. The only incentive I had to keep playing was for the achievements, many of which require months of playing time to achieve. There are way too many tracks! So learning the routes and honing your skills and times isn't an option. But other than that its a good game. Game play is slightly different to older ssx titles but once U get used to it its good. And the gear and equipment are welcome additions but overall they missed the mark, with way to many changes needed to make this game great. 7,5/10 Expand
  15. Sep 3, 2014
    Although this game works well enough as a standalone game, the devs removed and changed enough features for the game to not resemble the SSX games of old, at least not well enough for a reboot title. The game tries too hard to coast on the nostalgic memory we have of the old games, and sure, you'll hear DJ Atomika at one point or another, and some familiar roster characters return, but theAlthough this game works well enough as a standalone game, the devs removed and changed enough features for the game to not resemble the SSX games of old, at least not well enough for a reboot title. The game tries too hard to coast on the nostalgic memory we have of the old games, and sure, you'll hear DJ Atomika at one point or another, and some familiar roster characters return, but the controls and level design that made the old games a great time to play no longer exist, making for a game that barely resembles the predecessors that made its name famous.

The level design is by far this games biggest weakness. The game was originally supposed to be called SSX Deadly Descents, and naturally had to feature some dangerous and random terrain, but overly difficult level design is not something you need in a reboot title. The fast and smooth race courses are gone, replaced with chasms, cliffs, uphill terrain, buyable gimicky equipment the game could have gone without, and overall slow and tedious riding.

Despite the 360 having a near identical button layout to the GameCube, the devs thought it would be a good idea to change the controls around for the reboot, seriously hurting player control. There is an option to swotch back to classic controls, but even then, oversensitive turning, ridiculous trick completion time and having your character tweak and turn with the same stick make doing tricks overly complex and difficult.

The music in this game is no longer a mix of alternative rock and funk rock, having been changed to a collection of modern dubstep tracks for the reboot. While its impossible to say whether this is good or bad due to different tastes, I will say I would appreciate a few SSX 3 songs here and there.

Even without touching on the convoluted story mode (where fan favorite Griff is the villain for some reason), the annoying rewind feature which should have just been a respawn button, or the lack of split screen play, I can easily say that, while not really a game, SSX doesn't do much of anything to improve the tried and true formula of previous SSX hits, and in some ways even removes the classic fun factors, in favor of a more modern and unfortunately bland experience.
  16. May 17, 2015
    You can get so much fun from this game. Tricks are amazing (sometimes way too much unrealistic), music is awesome and system of buying new and better boards is great.
  17. Jan 30, 2015
    A poor entry into the series and a snowboarding/racing game plagued by bad choices. Unsteady controllers (especially if you're not new to the series) for one. A camera that defaults to an angle so tight that you can't see the numerous out of bounds areas over hills. A rewind mechanic that is useless except to combat the aforementioned camera angle, and then at the expense of score. Also,A poor entry into the series and a snowboarding/racing game plagued by bad choices. Unsteady controllers (especially if you're not new to the series) for one. A camera that defaults to an angle so tight that you can't see the numerous out of bounds areas over hills. A rewind mechanic that is useless except to combat the aforementioned camera angle, and then at the expense of score. Also, it doesn't rewind NPCs so you still fall behind. At least DJ Automica is back. Expand
  18. Feb 28, 2012

1. May 5, 2012
    The creators succeeded in reviving the SSX-franchise. The slopes are varied, challenging and incredibly fast. There is always challenge to be found, especially in the expansive multiplayer, but new players shouldn't have any problems picking it up.
  2. Apr 12, 2012
    Kudos to the development team for creating some truly insane courses. [May 2012, p.72]
  3. Apr 11, 2012
    Whether your favorite was SSX Tricky or SSX 3, this latest entry, simply titled "SSX," has virtually nothing to do with the franchise fans fell in love. Voiceovers from DJ Atomika have been slapped on top to reassure you that yes, you're playing an SSX game, but the gameplay, courses, and overall quality are saying something else entirely.