6.4

1. Feb 28, 2012
    Edge magazine is just another one of those crappy reviewers who's biased and too harsh on game scores. They rate 85% lower than avg critics, explaining this stupidly low score for a game deserving no less than a 75 or 80 at absolute worst. Meanwhile they also rated games like "Monster Rancher 4", and "Indiana Jones the Emperors tomb" (which was so bad they said it had instant deathEdge magazine is just another one of those crappy reviewers who's biased and too harsh on game scores. They rate 85% lower than avg critics, explaining this stupidly low score for a game deserving no less than a 75 or 80 at absolute worst. Meanwhile they also rated games like "Monster Rancher 4", and "Indiana Jones the Emperors tomb" (which was so bad they said it had instant death glitches) HIGHER than SSX. Seriously? MONSTER RANCHER?? What a terrible reviewer. Expand
  2. Apr 20, 2012
    It took me 5 hours to realize that this game is actually just very dull. The tracks are a sprawling mess which would require a lifetime of play to memorize so going and finding shortcuts etc is just a pointless exercise. The control system is just rubbish, you basically push the stick to select which route you want to take and the game does the rest for you, it's often a case of trying toIt took me 5 hours to realize that this game is actually just very dull. The tracks are a sprawling mess which would require a lifetime of play to memorize so going and finding shortcuts etc is just a pointless exercise. The control system is just rubbish, you basically push the stick to select which route you want to take and the game does the rest for you, it's often a case of trying to avoid grinding a certain rail. The trick system has turned into a button mashing exercise as there is no risk in deciding to go for uber-tricks anymore as all tricks land as long as you release the button before you land.

Very disappointed, I think the developers should have made less content but concentrated on making the individual runs as fun and as memorable as possible.
  3. May 20, 2012
    SSX was never a realistic game and wanted to do it now ruining the game completely. SSX3 I liked and thought that the new SSX would look like and do not recommend this new version.
  4. Mar 23, 2012
    I bought this game thinking it would be at least similar to SSX 3 (Which happens to be one of my favorite games). However I played about 3 races and realized it is nothing like it. I just can't have fun with the game. More often than not I just end up riding up a wall if I'm not just using the worthless "rewind" feature. I really want to like the game but I just can't. It feels blandI bought this game thinking it would be at least similar to SSX 3 (Which happens to be one of my favorite games). However I played about 3 races and realized it is nothing like it. I just can't have fun with the game. More often than not I just end up riding up a wall if I'm not just using the worthless "rewind" feature. I really want to like the game but I just can't. It feels bland compared to 3. Bought it today and I plan on returning it today. Expand
  5. Jun 26, 2012
    I've been a fan and Tricky Gamer since the beginning. I bought the game assuming online play would be a no brainer.....WRONG! The graphics are gorgeous and gameplay of single player is a lot of fun. Opened all the mountains around the globe...fun.... but ... wait for it..... ONLINE PASSCODE no longer works. No access to the online play and all the things I've opened(characters, mountains,I've been a fan and Tricky Gamer since the beginning. I bought the game assuming online play would be a no brainer.....WRONG! The graphics are gorgeous and gameplay of single player is a lot of fun. Opened all the mountains around the globe...fun.... but ... wait for it..... ONLINE PASSCODE no longer works. No access to the online play and all the things I've opened(characters, mountains, etc.) GONE! It's been 3 weeks trying to work out the details with EA support in India - NO GO! Looking forward to Comicon where I can go tell these EA guys off. Awful customer service and the new Online Passcode jargon is a joke! Do not recommend any EA game because of this. Expand
  6. bpk
    May 3, 2012
    I ended up trading the game in. I wanted so badly to like it, but after two months I stopped trying to make myself believe that I was having fun. I feel that the SSX dev team was sincerely committed to making a strong game and I give TB and the rest of the guys credit for strong post-launch support. At the end of the day, however, this game feels like a chore to play (at least to me) forI ended up trading the game in. I wanted so badly to like it, but after two months I stopped trying to make myself believe that I was having fun. I feel that the SSX dev team was sincerely committed to making a strong game and I give TB and the rest of the guys credit for strong post-launch support. At the end of the day, however, this game feels like a chore to play (at least to me) for the following reasons:

1. This game never shed the "deadly descent" idea of the original trailer. When the backlash occurred, they repackaged the game and stressed the lighter side...but the mountains clearly show the stamp of the "extreme" philosophy behind the game. Death pits and dying (in an SSX game???) are not why I play this series. More forgiving courses exist but they are few and far between. It's a strange game where only 1/3 of the racing drops are fun to me. Give me Snowdream, Elysium Alps, and Merqury City any day.

2. The "equipment" is gimmicky and adds nothing to the series. I don't want to buy oxygen tanks, pulse goggles, or headlamps. All I want to do is shred down the mountain. The previous SSX games charmed me with their simplicity. This game bludgeons me over the head with forced equipment.

3. Split-screen multiplayer. Didn't realize I'd miss it this much until I sat down with my sibblings and we could only watch each other play. Some of my most fun gaming memories are playing Tricky and SSX3 with my sister. Racing or tricking against her while being in the same room was just a blast. I understand why the team axed it - and to their credit the online mode is well implemented - but this generation's trend away from split screen gaming has been a big letdown. 4. I played SSX3 and Tricky the other day and, despite these games being over a decade old, I was instantly having fun. I don't get this with the new SSX. It simply makes me want to rage.

I'm glad that the DLC returns to the roots of the series, but for me it's too little too late. Having spent $60 by buying this on day one, spending another $8 to get the "classic" SSX experience is a slap in the face. I also find it revealing that the first DLC is a nod to the previous games. Perhaps the dev team sensed that they alienated some of the old-time fans of the series. To conclude, I'm jealous of those of you who enjoy the game. Like many of us, I badly wanted and waited for an SSX game this gen. The series has changed and while it may seem for the better to some, I can't help but feel let down. Looks like it's back to Tricky and 3 for another decade. :)
  7. Feb 28, 2012
    SSX is to put it simply a phenomenal game, one that I was greatly surprised by. After playing the demo, I was definitely convinced to buy this game and I am so glad I did, despite a few difficulty spikes this game is fun to play and watch the environment unfold in front of you. I am enjoying every single run that I have done thus far and the controls are so brilliantly mapped to where theSSX is to put it simply a phenomenal game, one that I was greatly surprised by. After playing the demo, I was definitely convinced to buy this game and I am so glad I did, despite a few difficulty spikes this game is fun to play and watch the environment unfold in front of you. I am enjoying every single run that I have done thus far and the controls are so brilliantly mapped to where the game just feels 'right'. The animations are also phenomenal yielding some crazy ass tricks and some really cool atmospheric conditions. Overall I would recommend this game to anyone considering how fun it is to play not to mention watch and the implementation of rider net (aka autolog, battlelog etc) is really interesting as you can race 'ghost' versions of your friends times as well as race against them in real time. SSX is a phenomenal reboot for EA and I am hoping they continue this franchise. Expand
  8. Mar 10, 2012
    I can't believe this game. Everything that made the previous games fun are gone. The characters are no longer outspoken. Level design is atrocious. Why is there a tree right next to a jump? You literally fly into a tree. There is no multiplayer. Who wants to race against a ghost? Just when I tried to forgive this game, the unthinkable happens; now im not able to connect to RiderNet. So, II can't believe this game. Everything that made the previous games fun are gone. The characters are no longer outspoken. Level design is atrocious. Why is there a tree right next to a jump? You literally fly into a tree. There is no multiplayer. Who wants to race against a ghost? Just when I tried to forgive this game, the unthinkable happens; now im not able to connect to RiderNet. So, I can't even play this game. Very horrible effort by EA. I have no idea what they were thinking. What happened to EA sports BIG? Expand
  9. Mar 3, 2012
    I was excited for this game like any SSX fan was. After all, it is hailed as the best snowboarding game series ever, right? Remember the days of SSX Tricky & SSX 3, where you could pull off ridiculous combinations of tricks you'll never see in real life? Remember your willingness to beat your best racing times? Remember the awesome, vivid, wacky course designs? And remember when eachI was excited for this game like any SSX fan was. After all, it is hailed as the best snowboarding game series ever, right? Remember the days of SSX Tricky & SSX 3, where you could pull off ridiculous combinations of tricks you'll never see in real life? Remember your willingness to beat your best racing times? Remember the awesome, vivid, wacky course designs? And remember when each character had a vibrant, unique personality with their own tricks to boot?

Well, throw away all of that. While you still pull off superhuman tricks on your board this time around, now you have to watch where you do it. Racing times are now a frustrating endeavor to undertake because of the damn pits of death, and there's nothing wacky and interesting about either the courses or the characters. There's an overbearing layer of mind-numbing trial & error and sheer frustration that mostly undermines the elements that made this series so great.

Don't get me wrong, the courses are still neat. They're mapped from actual mountains and touched up by the development team for added flavor. But I don't know who thought it was a good idea to throw in those god awful pits of death. Yeah, you read it right...pits. Of. Death. You fall in them, you have to restart. Sure, there's a new rewind feature to remedy your often accidental plunges into doom, but it's shoddy and is a total last-resort method to POSSIBLY put you back into the race.

We never had to go through those before.

There are also hiccups in the very course designs themselves. It is most noticeable when there is an obstructive object that is hugging a cliff or other sheer vertical face. Numerous times now, I have made a jump off a kicker and landed right into the space between one said object and the cliff, stuck, and being forced purely because of bad course design to rewind, putting myself in a bad position because other riders are not affected by this action. You lose points, you lose time, you lose the chance to rectify a mistake you often have little control in avoiding; all when you use the rewind function. Sure, it helps in some cases, but it's almost always detrimental. Which compounds the frustration that smacks you in the face at almost all times.

Graphically, it's just what you need from a snowboarding game of present; it runs at a steady thirty frames-per-second, there are lots of neat particles and convincing snow effects, character design is pretty good and is perhaps the only way the characters stand out from each other, and lighting is solid. But you won't get graphical achievements here.

Audio is good in almost every way. The soundtrack is a redeeming quality for the game, with a varied but contemporary offering of electro-pop, dubstep, hip-hop, and other popular genres of music of the times. They're modified depending on your tricking performance. When you are in base Tricky! mode (the letters appear in ice-blue on your screen) the infamous Run DmC! track that is now synonymous with the series starts playing. When you pull off another insane combo, you may go into full-on Tricky! mode where the letters are glowing orange. The track at hand takes on a dub-step vibe. As you continue pumping out the big tricks, you keep this sequence going longer. Nothing wrong here.

Again, though, there's no lasting quality to the voice acting, which was prevalent in older installments. Gone are the ways of wacky one-liners and stand-up comedy antics from your characters. Sure, they each have their own signature move, but that's it. The helicopter pilots are simply there to commend you, guide you, or give you obvious pointers as to your progress (you're the champion, hehe!). In-between important runs and the changing of mountains, cut-scenes that overview what is to come are narrated by an anonymous voice that won't bore you, but won't invigorate you either. Where's the fun factor, yet?

To begin the end, I have to say I was highly disappointed with this game. Each time I play a run with the many pits of death to be encountered, I think, "these guys shouldn't make an SSX game ever again", and I stand by it even twenty-minutes after my last playthrough. Whoever thought they were a good idea needs to go back to the drawing board and try again. They're not fun, they're just a detriment. They're fine in a game like Jet Moto, since they're actually advertised in those games; but here, they slow you down or completely kill an otherwise blast of a game. If they scrapped that crap altogether, this would be a monumental title for current gamers to enjoy. And if they included more interaction and more fun, and if it took itself less seriously then it would be doubly more enjoyable. As it stands, though, it's an exercise in tedium and frustration, which is unlike anything in the series before it. Too much trial and error, and too little sheer fun (think SSX Tricky and 3), makes Jack a dull boy.
  10. Feb 28, 2012
    I actually had a chance to play this game 4 days before it was released. After putting in a good 15-20 hours, This game is better than what I had expected. The game-play is extremely addicting and never seems to get old. The game is still not repetitive even after doing all the descents. The first time you get into Super Tricky mode and you hear run start singing it's EPIC! The variety ofI actually had a chance to play this game 4 days before it was released. After putting in a good 15-20 hours, This game is better than what I had expected. The game-play is extremely addicting and never seems to get old. The game is still not repetitive even after doing all the descents. The first time you get into Super Tricky mode and you hear run start singing it's EPIC! The variety of the different areas is very impressive. EA Canada really did go all out with the creativity in equipment needed for the different mountain ranges. The survival stages are a great new and intense addition to the series. Loading times seem almost non-existent at times, which may not be a big deal but I think it's great. Using RiderNet gives you the ability to compete in races online with ghosts is really cool because you don't have to be on the at the same time to play with a friend technically. The music is fresh and is really unique how it mixes the songs based on how you move and tricks you do, It also works with your own custom music. The few negatives I thought are that there's no option for 2 player split-screen, No lobbies or match-making for "Live" multiplayer races. Even with the multiplayer being a bit non-traditional, the new take on online is actually very convenient and I actually like it. Overall this is a game that should not be missed. If you are an ssx vet, you will feel like a kid again playing this game. This game and Twisted Metal IMO, bring back the fun in games and game play. Back when the industry thought more about game play than graphics. I highly recommend this game for anyone looking for a genuinely fun time. Expand
  11. Feb 29, 2012
    Do not listen to these trolls with there negative reviews! the game itself does not require a online pass if purchased new it comes with a code. There is a TON of multiplayer in this game. yes some of the multiplayer is in the form of global events were many plays all compete but if you want to just play with your friends you simply make a friends only global event. BOOM! your playing withDo not listen to these trolls with there negative reviews! the game itself does not require a online pass if purchased new it comes with a code. There is a TON of multiplayer in this game. yes some of the multiplayer is in the form of global events were many plays all compete but if you want to just play with your friends you simply make a friends only global event. BOOM! your playing with your friends on your own private drop. This SSX is everything i hoped for plus more. it is an exceptional game in every possible way. And for all those that are complaining about there being no Split Screen. the reason this is so is because of the massive scale of the drops a normal display would not allow both players to see enough of the terrain ahead to be able to enjoy the drop. you would be limited to what you could see making finding the best spots very difficult

Finally if you have ever played SSX before and found any amount of joy in it this game is for YOU.
    - It does everything an SSX game should do.
    - It allows for insane tricks and races down the most unimaginably fun drops.
    -And with 153 different events, not including custom global events were you set the rules, there is enough content to keep you coming back to compete with rivals over and over again.
  12. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a huge fan of SSX and Tricky, I was very much looking forward to the reboot of SSX. I hate to admit to being disappointed, but that would be the nicest way to sum up my feelings regarding this game. After the tutorials and the first mountain series, I was cautiously optimistic I may enjoy it. Sure, the controls are VERY fidgety, and I told myself I would just need time getting used to it's sluggishness and unresponsive feel. I even enjoyed the first Deadly Descent. It was only then that everything started getting a little complex. The wing suit. The armour. The weather suit. The polarised lenses. All of these upgrades and add-ons which try to add an element of strategy and variety to preceedings - which is simply NOT what SSX is about or what SSX needs. For me, the joy of SSX in it's glorious early years was the brilliance of it's level design, the simplicity and fluidity of the controls and the gameplay. SSX used to make you WORK for your points and your combos, whereas now it is a veritable eyesore of mapped out jump ramps, endless amounts of grind rails (where you don't even have to balance on) and a trick control system which is just too unresponsive, over-populated and no longer engaging. Couple these faults with the frustrations within the game - the constant failure of the level design forcing you to plunge down invisible crevices to your untimely demise, the most pointless rewind facility in the history of video game design where YES, you can rewind your progress mid-event to correct your mistake but the AI opponents CONTINUE down the mountain (which completely belittles the reasoning behind a rewind system), the dreadful attempt at a story, the missed opportunities to create a world where you are encouraged to go off-piste and discover new locations, the constant infuriation of RiderLog telling me to make friends with random people just because their time was within 0.1 seconds of mine on any given event - put them all together and SSX smacks of "missed opportunity".

Perhaps my biggest frustration, however, is the end series of the World Tour. I know EA have a tendency to make short games - I was there for the full 4 hours SP campaign in Medal Of Honour, I was there for the 3.5 hour campaign of Battlefield 3 and by-God I was there for the 2 hour and 2 minutes it took me to finish Need For Speed The Run, but SSX can be gobbled up in 3 hours comfortably with the exception of the last mountain where the game goes on a difficulty spike so sharp, it can only be explained by the developers realising how short it was and they just didn't want you to finish it that quickly.

As much as my love for old-school SSX continues (indeed I dusted off my original Xbox for a bout of Tricky earlier today), EA have dropped a howler with this reboot. For those who never experienced the originals - it might have something here to satisfy. To anyone who knows and loves SSX from time-gone-by, prepared to be sorely disappointed. Which is a real, real shame.
  13. Feb 29, 2012
    I been a ssx fan for a long time now and I will first say this isnt ssx tricky as I hoped it would be but it is a lot better then ssx on tour or ssx 3. The tricks are even more insane then tricky which I actually didn't want because I thought they were just right back then. The different boards have varied stats and there are items you can buy with in game currency that will change yourI been a ssx fan for a long time now and I will first say this isnt ssx tricky as I hoped it would be but it is a lot better then ssx on tour or ssx 3. The tricks are even more insane then tricky which I actually didn't want because I thought they were just right back then. The different boards have varied stats and there are items you can buy with in game currency that will change your attributes which is all fine but the added extra items I dislike except the wingsuit which allows you to clear massive gaps(short bursts of flight) The amount of courses is very impressive and the added competitiveness of beating your friends ghost times or trick scores is very fun. All in all I would reccomend this for anyone who loves ssx,snowboarding or any type of arcade game where you can rack up points doing insane things. It seems a lot easier then ever before which will cater to casual players but with the sheer number of courses and all the fun that is offered here it isn't much of a detractor.Enjoy! xbox360 gamertag solsunforge. Look me up I need the competition. Expand
  14. Mar 2, 2012
    The game overall is a very fun experience with absolutely tons of content. You can board down all the mountains in the world with multiple different characters. The graphics are very cool and the game flows well. It is easy to maintain big tricks and go as fast as you want. However, some things do bother me. I don't like that there is no offline multiplayer and even though the soundtrackThe game overall is a very fun experience with absolutely tons of content. You can board down all the mountains in the world with multiple different characters. The graphics are very cool and the game flows well. It is easy to maintain big tricks and go as fast as you want. However, some things do bother me. I don't like that there is no offline multiplayer and even though the soundtrack is edgy and matches the snowboard vibe, it can sometimes be annoying. The cut-scenes can be cheesy but it doesnt really take away from the game. Overall I would give this game about an 8.4. Expand
  15. Mar 10, 2012
    I'm guessing that whoever called the shots on SSX, Tricky and SSX3 wasn't a part of this game. I bought it because it looked and smelled like a real SSX game. Unfortunately, after playing it for a couple of hours, I gave it to a friend. The people making this new SSX didn't seem to understand the basics of what make a good SSX game. My guess is that they spent all of their time onI'm guessing that whoever called the shots on SSX, Tricky and SSX3 wasn't a part of this game. I bought it because it looked and smelled like a real SSX game. Unfortunately, after playing it for a couple of hours, I gave it to a friend. The people making this new SSX didn't seem to understand the basics of what make a good SSX game. My guess is that they spent all of their time on trying to be "new", without figuring out how to deliver the basics of what make the game so good. I hope they either retire the franchise, or dig up the people that made the good ones. Expand
  16. Mar 8, 2012
    Frustrating and annoying are two words I'd use to describe this game. Tricky 3, was a pinball machine crossed with a fireworks display, where you tried to better your previous high score or beat your mate down the slope. This is more about memorising tracks and not making mistakes that feel like overly harsh punishments. The fun seems to have gone. The game isn't bad just not for theFrustrating and annoying are two words I'd use to describe this game. Tricky 3, was a pinball machine crossed with a fireworks display, where you tried to better your previous high score or beat your mate down the slope. This is more about memorising tracks and not making mistakes that feel like overly harsh punishments. The fun seems to have gone. The game isn't bad just not for the causal gamer like me who just wants to play not become the best in the world at it. Maybe in time I'll enjoy it more but at the moment I can't help but feel annoyed. Expand
  17. Feb 28, 2012
    I've been a fan of the SSX series since the first release of SSX on the PS2. Though I lost a little interest after SSX 3 seeing "On Tour" and "Blur" seemed a little ridiculous so I stuck with SSX 3 until I got burnt out and moved on. It had been years since I've played any of the previous SSX titles so I got online to check and see if any new titles were in the near future and sure enough,I've been a fan of the SSX series since the first release of SSX on the PS2. Though I lost a little interest after SSX 3 seeing "On Tour" and "Blur" seemed a little ridiculous so I stuck with SSX 3 until I got burnt out and moved on. It had been years since I've played any of the previous SSX titles so I got online to check and see if any new titles were in the near future and sure enough, SSX was coming to 360 and PS3 and it looked amazing. I waited impatiently for the demo to release on XBL and honestly, the demo doesn't do the game justice. The new "Survive It" mode is intense. It has a new feel with new controls but for SSX veterans, you have the option to switch it to old school controls but it seems you don't twist and turn as fast as the default controls. It takes a couple races and trick sessions to get used to, but once you have it down you'll be carving down every mountain with ease. There is a lot more I could say, but I'm sure you've already heard. This game brings back good memories that I had with SSX but in a new and more intense way. You will enjoy this if you're an SSX fan so pick it up right now and get to shreddin'!! Expand
  18. May 2, 2012
    This "SSX" title is further proof that EA deserved The Worst Company in America award this year. Like why are their so many positive reviews for this garbage. If we as gamers keep praising CRAP, then all we are going to get is CRAP. The levels are god awful (but looked fun in the trailers), The characters rarely talk or taunt their competitiors ( and when they do talk you can barely evenThis "SSX" title is further proof that EA deserved The Worst Company in America award this year. Like why are their so many positive reviews for this garbage. If we as gamers keep praising CRAP, then all we are going to get is CRAP. The levels are god awful (but looked fun in the trailers), The characters rarely talk or taunt their competitiors ( and when they do talk you can barely even hear them). RiderNet? WTF is that, and NO MULTIPLAYER OR SPLITSCREEN! Why would they take out such a basic function that was in every previous title? All in all SSX 3 will always be the best and last good SSX game in the series. Expand
  19. Feb 29, 2012
    One of the best action sports games I've played in a while. Brings back the memories for sure. I don't know why people are complaining about the controls, they're smooth and quick to get used to. All 3 different game modes are great and perfectly integrated with the "Rider Net" online. Good job EA.
  20. Feb 28, 2012
    You get the feeling like after they scrapped the whole edgy SSX they lost touch with the charm the game should have. The music is sorta weak with a few exceptions and the characters feel kinda boring.

Still though, the game is still SSX and it's still satisfying to land crazy tricks and go super fast.
  21. Mar 21, 2012
    Great game. Extremely fun and addictive. The best non-shooter game out there at the moment. (Best shooter being Mass Effect 3)
  22. Feb 28, 2012
    I've played every single SSX game to date, and every time after SSX 3 i have been severely let down, even 3 didn't have the flair that trick did. This game is an almost perfect marriage between Tricky and 3. The open world from 3 and the absolutely over the top tricks from tricky. Only one thing makes me lower the score from a perfect 10 and that the fact that its missing couch co-op.I've played every single SSX game to date, and every time after SSX 3 i have been severely let down, even 3 didn't have the flair that trick did. This game is an almost perfect marriage between Tricky and 3. The open world from 3 and the absolutely over the top tricks from tricky. Only one thing makes me lower the score from a perfect 10 and that the fact that its missing couch co-op. Playing SSX tricky the main thing me and my friends did was go to Pipe Dream and try for the biggest scores and biggest air. The only way this game could get any better is if they re-introduce that type of multi-player. Expand
  23. Mar 13, 2012
    This game could've been fun if it wasn't so frustrating and hard, this game is ridiculously hard for no actual reason, people don't play these games to be skull rammed so hard they have to break something. The goal of the campaign is to come third in every event and become the best, honestly at least 70% of the events it has been made impossible to get 1st, why do they do this? Who knows.This game could've been fun if it wasn't so frustrating and hard, this game is ridiculously hard for no actual reason, people don't play these games to be skull rammed so hard they have to break something. The goal of the campaign is to come third in every event and become the best, honestly at least 70% of the events it has been made impossible to get 1st, why do they do this? Who knows. It is the worst system for game where you want some laidback fun with your mates... But ohhhhh wait there is no online or local play so you cant have a laugh with some mates!!!! Whose idea was that. Honestly. Who?! I want names! So yes don't play this game!!!!!!! Expand
  24. Mar 13, 2012
    It starts out fun enough... but after a day or so it gets repetative and frustrating. And including no competative multiplayer is just a result of lazy developers. This new SSX is worth a solid weekend rental, but nothing more.
  25. Mar 5, 2012
    This is not ssx. It's a wana be snowboard sim. It focuses on survival and NOT tricks which is the whole point of ssx. I've been a long time fan and I wish I didn't buy this one or see it be release. It's trash compared to tricky or 3
  26. Mar 1, 2012
    I've played all the games in the SSX series (minus the Wii version) and had high hopes for this game but and ultimately disappointed. If this was my first SSX game i would score it an 8 but here are my reasoning for my score:
    PROS: Core elements of the game are still there with crazy tricks and a great feeling of speed. The courses for the most part are interesting and beautiful. The online mode is good if that is the kind of competition you enjoy (more for the hardcore type of gamer). The music is good in my opinion and you can play your own playlist if you like. The controls are almost perfect except for the few gimmicky options when using classic controls.
    CONS: No hand-plants? No Big Air events? No Half-pipes? Useless rewind (wish you would just spawn back where you died). I guess the idea of the game being "Deadly Descents" is carried through almost all the courses because it is very easy to fall into chasms which pretty much means you need to start the course over in race events. This game is more about being technically perfect when riding than having fun doing insane tricks and getting high scores. Every character has the same moves except for one signature move. You can't purchase new moves either. Missing split-screen and no head-to-head multi-player is a big let down for me also.
    I'm not a hardcore gamer who wants to beat the world at everything. If that is the kid of gamer you then this game would probably be right up you alley. Many aspects of this game seem to be included to ramp up the difficulty but not the fun. I just wish they would have stuck closer to the original formula and added more courses, tricks, and upgrade options.
  27. Feb 28, 2012
    Ah! SSX! I've been waiting for you ever since SSX 3! And yes, I realize that there were other SSX games which came out after #3 but I can't say they wowed me in any sort of way (especially 'Blur' which was a HUGE disappointment). Thankfully, the reboot is fun, fast, beautifully detailed, challenging, hard to put down and, most importantly, never dull.
    However, there are a few minor
    However, there are a few minor problems which, in my opinion, keep the game from earning a perfect 10: the pre-set soundtrack (by far the worst in the series), the randomization of the custom soundtrack (or LACK of randomization), and the bizarre omission of 2-player split-screen action. Let's start with the soundtrack: The tunes which came with the game are achingly bad... so terrible in fact that I had to mute the game on many occasions to avoid having my ears sullied with such boring mediocrity. Luckily enough there is a custom soundtrack option so shredding the mountain to your favorite tunes is a possibility (or mandatory if you're like me and can't stand the lack-luster pre-set songs). Still, there is a problem with this... the randomizer on the ps3 playlist sucks! I had a playlist of over 200 songs yet I keep hearing the same 20 or so over and over (Iâ
  28. Feb 28, 2012
    A fantastic evolution of the SSX franchise. The important feeling of speed, immense jumps, and ridiculous tricks are all here! A common complaint is a lack of traditional multiplayer, but I find the "Ridernet" multiplayer system to make up for it. While you cannot race a friend immediately next to you on the couch or participate in the matchmaking game types many are familiar with, youA fantastic evolution of the SSX franchise. The important feeling of speed, immense jumps, and ridiculous tricks are all here! A common complaint is a lack of traditional multiplayer, but I find the "Ridernet" multiplayer system to make up for it. While you cannot race a friend immediately next to you on the couch or participate in the matchmaking game types many are familiar with, you instead race your friend's and online opponents ghosts. The intense white-knuckle competition still exists, and it's awesome to know that your high score will be announced to your friends and other players you have crushed. I highly recommend picking SSX up today! Expand
  29. Feb 28, 2012
    dont let other confuses you, THERE IS REAL TIME MULTIPLAYER, the only difference is that there is no lobbys, but they cant fix it with a patch. awesome game, awesome graphics, ton of content and replayebility, great soundtrack. this is the game of the year for me.
  30. Feb 28, 2012
    The game is the Next-Gen version of one of the most classic games in Snowboarding in other consoles of past generations: SSX (Snowboarding Supercross) has a story based on 3 characters of the franchise, who want to ellect the 9 best snowboarders in the world, and to do this, they create a competition in various mountains, in all continents (there are 27 mountains in 9 continents, includingThe game is the Next-Gen version of one of the most classic games in Snowboarding in other consoles of past generations: SSX (Snowboarding Supercross) has a story based on 3 characters of the franchise, who want to ellect the 9 best snowboarders in the world, and to do this, they create a competition in various mountains, in all continents (there are 27 mountains in 9 continents, including Antarctica). The game brings back new and classic characters of various incarnations of the game: this title in particular has one of its most widely spoken (by the developers at EA Canada) innovations, the use of satellite maps from NASA to recreate the mountains in the game, with a reworking of it's features, and the interaction with players around the world (both of them, that we have already seen in Stoked, by the way). The gameplay basics: your character is able to perform the most diverse maneuvers, with simple combinations of buttons/analog controls, which fills bars of "special" moves, that let you perform craziest tricks yet - and you earn credits in competitions, using them to buy various accessories that allow from changing the characters clothing, to improving their individual characteristics. The "special" bars are of two types: the first a bar, is the "Tricky", where usual special maneuvers are made, and the maximum special bar, where you can perform the "Uber Tricks", which are the signature manuvers of each character, and the most impressive.With the credits you earn, you can buy from new clothing or accessories for your character, to equipment (including boards, which improve the basic attributes: Speed, Boost and Tricks), protective equipment (against impact in the "survival" modes), and other Boost upgrades for the player stats, that can be in Slots. The controls are simple and intuitive: analog sticks are used to rotate (LS) and maneuver (RS), and these can also be made with the respective control buttons, according to their position.Through the gameplay, you gain XP and Credits that are used to buy upgrades and accessories, respectively. There are the traditional tracks, where the goal is to compete against other player for points, and races modes, both normal and a variant with obstacles - and you can play both in day or night (much worse for the race with obstacles, by the way).In addition to the traditional modes where you follow the "story" and challenges the game, the main menu is a little confusing, in the style of Stoked, where you can access some of challenges and of course the part online, not tested - this incarnation of the game also use helicopters (as in Stoked) and wingsuit, (driven by RB).The online part is in the form of Global Events, where you can access constants challenges against any user connected to the EA server, and can also see all other users while they are in the same region you running around.The graphics are good: the style is the same cartoon -look, but more detailed and elaborate: some pixelation can be seen in the general details of the textures and menus, but not the characters. Overall the detail is not as good as other titles, as Stoked (who has the best graphics, in my opinion): light effects, are good too, but not a hypnotic thing as in previous versions of the franchise.The character style is exaggerated - for those unfamiliar with the series, they resemble the characters of Saints Row.The environments in the game are full of structures for tricks and grinds, among cliffs, gullies, trees, rails and everything else to be expected in a Snowboard game, but the graphics highlights in the game are the speed "feeling", huge jumps and mad maneuvers, and in these points, he impresses much more than the other snowboarding games in the Xbox 360.As for the sound track, the game has a particular style of presentation, that is the same of recent EA games (as in Dirt 3, among others), and features songs from various groups, ranging from styles such as Hip-Hop, Drum and Bass and electronics (particularly the lack of Rock bothers me, but there is the option to use a set list of your Xbox360 musics, and to disable the songs you do not like).The voices of the characters and their interjections, are irritating some times, but nothing like in Shaun White (thanks God), but in general are well balanced and appropriate to the game.My opinion?Graphically speaking, this is not the best game of Snowboarding in Xbox360 (not spectacular, but very good), but the high point of all the franchise, still is the Gameplay, so, in that respect, he is the best Xbox360 snowboarding game, ARCADE style, leaving behind Amped 3 and Shaun White Snowboarding (the worst game of the genre in my opinion).I did not think this game is the best of the SSX series, but it is a good return of the SSX, in a incarnation with new features added, and above all fun (which is all that matters); I expected more out of it in the total, but I am well pleased. My score: 8.2 / 10.0 Expand

1. May 5, 2012
    The creators succeeded in reviving the SSX-franchise. The slopes are varied, challenging and incredibly fast. There is always challenge to be found, especially in the expansive multiplayer, but new players shouldn't have any problems picking it up.
  2. Apr 12, 2012
    Kudos to the development team for creating some truly insane courses. [May 2012, p.72]
  3. Apr 11, 2012
    Whether your favorite was SSX Tricky or SSX 3, this latest entry, simply titled "SSX," has virtually nothing to do with the franchise fans fell in love. Voiceovers from DJ Atomika have been slapped on top to reassure you that yes, you're playing an SSX game, but the gameplay, courses, and overall quality are saying something else entirely.