5.6

1. Jul 1, 2012
    Having this on the console just made me want to get the PC version and all the major mods that you can download for free to flesh out this empty shell of a game.
  2. Jun 18, 2012
    As a Trekkie, it was thrilling to be able to see all of the starships I had come to admire in such detail, and to be able to control them in a fully 3-dimensional setting. The score is dramatic and certainly lives up the memory of all the Star Trek series, the graphics are impressive, and it was a great touch to hear all 5 of the real captain's voices. However, the game does have a few disappointing features which bring the score down. Chiefly, because of the generally low health of your ships, difficulty with controls and vagueness of the mission parameters, I found Legacy very diffilcult to play, and have only just reached the first Original Series mission through the help of a friend. The lack of offline multiplayer is also very disappointing. All in all, an impressive-looking game that probably appeals mostly to Trekkies (not that that's a hugely bad thing) and is let down by fiddly controls, high difficulty level and lack of offline multiplayer. Expand
  3. Dec 4, 2012
    I was torn about what to give this game I think from a sterile, objective standpoint it deserves a 6.5 but for a trekkie (which if you aren't why the heck did you buy this game) I felt it was an 8, so I split the difference) The story takes you through most of the entire series. The controls can be tricky at first but I think the game does a good job tutoring you on system control through the first few forgiving levels. It is not a game you can hand your friend and expect them to do well with however (at least not right off the bat) In single player you feel like you are managing more aspects of the ship, things like tweeking the engines, scanning, transporting, transfering power. I liked to feel like I had more to do than just point the ship and fire away. In the online or skirmishing modes thats basically all you do transfer auxilliary power to weapons of shilelds (depending how you roll) and get into it. Single player felt a little more involved, while the story was nothing extraordinary is was engaging enough (sorry bad pun) to keep me interested. I spent most of my time in skirmish more ( I found it hard to find online matches) you can have up to 4 ships in your fleet at once and you can customize things like size of fleet, which era of ships or set a budget) There are several maps which include various planets, asteroids or nebulas ( all of which affect your ships in different way) To get around fast you use warp which can be finiky to use but usually gets you into or out of battles quickly. Phasers drain enemy shields while torpedoes will do heavy hull damage once shields are offline. These battles take place is a 3D plane so you can have ships above or below you as well as around you. smaller lightly armed ships are faster and more manuverable while capital ships can take and give a trememdous beating but don't exactly turn on a dime. I thought there was a lot of replayability here and enjoyed the battles. I think if you like video games and star trek this is a solid pick up for you. It won't be your favourite game but you will probably never sell it for those days when you feel like taking the helm and making playing XBOX even nerdier than usual. The downsides are weak multiplayer community (at least when I played), ho-hum single player and when a ships blows up it can look a bit blocky My bottom line is if your not into Star Trek probably pass, if you like or love Star Trek give it a try, it's worth the 15-20 $ it costs now. Expand

1. The controls of your spaceships just aren’t good enough. You rotate your ship in 3D. You rotate the camera in 3D. You fight in 3D – it’s all just too much 3D.
  2. Soured by some nagging flaws, Legacy isn't a title that will appeal to everyone. However, its willingness to try something new deserves some healthy praise. [Jan 2007, p.92]
  3. This game excels at staging space battles on an epic scale. [Jan. 2007, p.70]