2.7

1. Apr 24, 2013
    I'm not going to balance out the score (I think that is just a distasteful as the 10's from the software developers).
    This game is below average but not a zero. Poor graphics, glitches, and sub-par game-play. I'm half way through the game and the story isn't horrible but it isn't the best either. Although it is a fun co-op experience.
    This is the type of game that should be $30 max $40
    right off the store shelves and I would buy it. I will purchase it but I will wait for that used price. Expand
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    Look, if you are somehow affiliated with the company and shilling good reviews on Metacritic, face it champ, you are a cheap sellout. This game is EXACTLY what we've all feared: a shoddy knock-off of a venerable IP. Congrats, you threw some bones (heh) at the original cast and then skimped on game mechanics, graphics, and story...i.e. the only things that matter. And, oh dear V'ger...the cutscenes...every 2 minutes. Oh really...another turbolift ride? Did you guys not notice how Mass Effect fixed this obvious BS? I would say, honestly, that if you're a hardcore Trekkie...please wait until this is >$20. It's simply a substandard, lazy game. Expand
  3. Apr 29, 2013
    If you're a Trekkie or any sort of Gamer you are bound to experience a lot of different feelings towards this game, none of the are good! Here's why:

There is a lot I want to say about the game and to run it into the ground for how disappointed I am in it, but I will do my best to be as factual as possible. In short the game feel like a beta version and not a polished game.

The
    controls are floaty at best and this leads to you feeling disconnected from start to finish. For example, ledge grabs feel forced and it is always a guessing game as to whether of not you are meant to be going a certain way.

The A.I. is just a joke and 'boss' fights are quickly dealt with as enemies are easily dispatched by simply being quicker than your opponent. Even on the Hard setting it's just too easy, all enemies seem to walk into the barrel of you gun.

The graphics have their moments but for the most part are disjointed, with poor lighting. The textures are for the most part bland and I found myself on the Gorn mothership wondering when will the scenery change.

The level design is simplistic turning it into a less than fantastic corridor shooter, it gets old really fast.

The bugs, yes I'm sure you have read it's buggy by now and believe me when I say, they aren't lying. Clipping left right and center, overlays of previous segments, guns firing in the reload position, enemies running into walls, death for no reason (I kid you not, I have died after a cut scene more than once).

The only saving grace this game may have is the co-op, I gave this a bash for 1 round using Xbox Live and it was amusing. However I did find myself having to run after my partner often as they simply wanted to run-and-gun without any exploration. This said, the match-making is not perfect as I often found myself selecting my play criteria only to be given the exact opposite of what I wanted. I.E. play only as Kirk and yet I end up playing as Spock.

My final words, if you really must have this game... Please for the love of all that is holy, wait for it second hand. If ever a developer deserved to go under due to sloppy workmanship the makers of Star Trek certainly do!
  4. Apr 24, 2013
    Nice visuals, entertaining mini-games, but the rest of it is a buggy mess filled with horrible design ideas (like over-the-shoulder camera, climbing sections and forced stealth). I humbly advice you to avoid this game.
  5. Apr 23, 2013
    I rented this game tonight and returned it within 2 hours. Subpar graphics, cheesy and forced dialog, not enough combat scenarios, only being able to play as Kirk or Spock. This is truly an abomination. And guess what, I love Star Trek. Don't waste your money on this game!
  6. Apr 24, 2013
    If you love Star Trek and you are not employee of the company who made this junk, or another developer, who pays people to write positive reviews. DON'T BUY THIS GAME!!! FOR REAL! Wait till it gets cheaper, really cheap, i dont mean "Gamestop used game cheap" i mean really cheap. A real bad try to combine Mass Effect, and Gears with the look of JJ Abrams version of Star Trek. It should actually explain some of the faults in the first movie and should connect it with the second part. In my eyes it doesnt. Why do the Gorn look that way?? Even Star trek Online made a good version of them, actually the story in STO was more tensing than here.

Its merely a middle class co-op shooter. and when playing alone. its sucks even more.

It has its good moments, but unfortunately there are bugs and glitches. Which should not, actually should never be in the final version of a game.

If you can look over the logic faults, the party extremly bad textures, and the bugged co-op.
    Well you can play it in co-op (thats the real good point here)
    But not worth 60 Euro. 30 would be much, 25 okay., but 60 for a not finished game?

When do Publishers stop releasing games in a Beta status? Aren't there testers for that?

As it is still a try to put a better light into Star Trek than the new Movies, its a 4/10 on normal rating standards.
    The Plus from the Co-Op in it already.

But the bugs and the fact that it gets boring after.. 2 hours of gameplay. makes it just a 3/10
  7. Apr 24, 2013
    Stop lying to consumers Namco Bandai. The fact that you delayed review copies, denying that Co-op doesn't work and having to create fake accounts on Metacritic in order to combat the negative press reviews this game is about to get is crap. Incredibly unprofessional. Its again another sub par, below average movie licensed title with third person action we've seen time and time again.
  8. Apr 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game looks like, if you squatted down and took a big smelly dump and then got down on your hands and knees and ate that very dump.

Spoiler Alert-

This game is terrible.
  9. Apr 24, 2013
    audio is probably the best thing about the game, followed by the overall feel; which is to say it feels like "Trek," with some nods to REAL STAR TREK. Think having the actual actors hurt them as well as helped, they burned so many polygons trying to duplicate faces, and they look awful. Made the rest of the textures low res to keep frame rates up.
  10. Apr 24, 2013
    Please, do not waste your money on this shi* like i did... Even fans could have made a much better job!!!
    Star Trek should stay as a TV serie, do not ruin that too...
  11. Apr 23, 2013
    Just a terrible, terrible game. Like someone said on twitter "I say it now & loud. Those user reviews on MetaCritic for #StarTrek are flat out lies. So far it's as much fun as jacking off a Klingon." Such a scam. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! 0/10 for sure.
  12. Apr 25, 2013
    Balancing out the terrible liars.
    You guys know that for every fake 9 or 10 there's gonna be a couple more 0 s because this is just so despising. Why would you even think you could get away with this?
  13. Apr 23, 2013
    Very lame game. Graphics are like Im playing a game for the Original Xbox, and the controls are ridiculous, along with the camera movement. I would not recommend even renting this game I don't care if your a die hard Star Trek fan. You will be very dissapointed. I was looking forward to this and I am sad they couldn't pull through
  14. Apr 25, 2013
    A worthless attempt on making an enjoyable interactive experience to the star trek universe. Even worse is having people from the development team trying to scam us by using fake accounts on meta critic to try and convince people to buy the game. If they think that customers are idiots then they shouldn't have considered using tricks like this to give a lame excuse to buy the game. AVOID IT
  15. Apr 25, 2013
    Its terrible how Video Game developers are being increasingly dishonest. DONT BUY THIS GAME! There are loads of bugs and glitches and the PC version does not have operational coop.
  16. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would like to say i was expecting a BETTER game,given the fame of its license.but,i'm sad to report STAR TREK the video game is of almost Duke Nukem level mediocrity.the graphics are rough,exhibiting a distinct lack of polish.story amounts to a work of star trek fan fiction that barely holds ones interest.gameplay mechanics that aspire to be like a MASS EFFECT style third person shooter,but fall well short.more then a little clipping,geometry intersection and poor environmental hit detection.rudimentery puzzles that repeat far too often and co-op interactive scenario's of a most basic level akin to the Army of Two series.partner A.I. is borderline incompetent,although i suspect an online buddy would help alleviate this.its very little wonder no advance copies of this game went out for proper review prior to launch,the faulty workmanship would have been laid bare,it should serve as a warning when a games publisher withholds it for review.i would advise a rent,as i had done if you still want to give it a go.i however cannot endorse a full box price purchase.$60 is far too much to shell out for pablum of this nature.a shame really,as i had said before,i was expecting better,the sad reputation for movie based games continues to be perpetuated with STAR TREK the video game,be forewarned. Expand
  17. Apr 25, 2013
    Glitch infested pile of s**t By the way if you see all those super positive reviews saying how game is awesome those are most likely Namco Bandai PR employes trying to boost user score just like they are doing in PC section
  18. Apr 24, 2013
    cant play online! piece of crap! sort it out!.... graphics are not that bad but i met many glitches.. not worth full price.. license games should cost 30$

btw stop creating fake accounts to boost the score!!!
  19. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is awfully bad, its so bad it makes me cry but the reason I set it so low is the shady business of the developers, fake accounts on metacritic and steam do not buy this game until the price is so low!
  20. Apr 24, 2013
    Shills. Shills everywhere. Shady devs doing shady stuff. To all of you who paid for this game, I urge you to get refunds or do chargebacks with your banks if possible. Do not support this kind of shady behavior.
  21. Apr 25, 2013
    This game could have been good but hey, what do you expect from a game that comes out like 3 months after its announced. Im giving this game a 0 not because i despised it was unplayable, (definetly awful tough) but because a company writing fake user reviews is just plain dishonest and pathetic. The bad quality of the game could have been more understandable if it was rushed because of the release of the movie, but was not rushed. These guys have been working on the game since before the original JJ Abrahams star trek in 2009, which is plenty of time to develop a game. So you could say they just f*cked it up and its pretty much their fault. But if you make a bad game, and its your fault, just accept it and move on, don't write useless fake user reviews because you are going to be mauled by the press anyway. I personally have much more respect for people who make games but don't lie to your face about it. The zero is also for failing to make something worthy of the JJ Abraham movies, which h I am a big fan of. Expand
  22. Apr 25, 2013
    Buggy as hell, co-op doesn't work,glitches everywhere, boring story, un original gameplay.
    Fake accounts reviewing this game giving it a 8 to 10 score range make me want to vomit, i can believe namco actually agreed to collaborate in a project like this. is clearly an unfinished game. do not buy it.
  23. Apr 24, 2013
    This game has so many bugs that anyone should have been embarrased to release it.
    Tossing the bugs aside, it's a very average game that deserves a score around 5-6, but since people don't mind giving painfully buggy games a 10 i guess i don't mind giving it 0.
  24. Apr 25, 2013
    I was very sceptical about this game, and now all my worst nightmares have become true. This game is horrid. Gameplay: 1 Voice acting: 1 Story: 1 Concept: 1 Art style: 1
    I have run these points through a complicated and thorough score aggregation process and determined that this game conclusively deserves a score of 2/10.

Thank you for your attention.
  25. Apr 25, 2013
    Haha look at all the profiles of the people giving this game high scores. See anything weird? Most have only reviewed this game and a few have 1 or 2 others reviews in a half hearted attempt to hide the fact that THEY ARE FROM THE DEVELOPERS. You know your game is absolutely horrible when you have to try and inflate your score by reviewing it yourself. Without those scores and reviews I'd guess this game would be rated somewhere around 1-2. Expand
  26. Apr 25, 2013
    Co-op doesn't work, gameplay mechanics looks like a cheap rip-off of popular titles, like Call of Duty. There's no creativity in the art direction, looks like it's taken straight from Mass Effect 3. Don't buy this game.
  27. Apr 24, 2013
    This game is pretty good. The game definitely captures the feel of the movie. It has some pretty decent visuals, and a solid story, as well as good voice acting. The combat is a pretty generic, and there really isn't anything all that special about the game. With Co-op, there's definitely fun to be had. You can scan items for XP, then use that XP to upgrade your guy, which was neat.

Overall, don't expect your mind to be blown, since this game pretty much does what a million games before it has done. It doesn't mean its a bad game though, but I think fans of star trek would probably get the most enjoyment out of this game. For people who aren't fans, it's pretty much a straightforward shooter like games you have probably played before.
  28. Apr 25, 2013
    the co- is so bad the game is glitches and it is like the wrost game of 2013 also I do not know wtf why they can't make a star trek game that is good they always f*ck it up
  29. Apr 25, 2013
    I have got to say..wow. Really? Fake accounts? You guys thought you can pass that off? That is just sad. It really shows how crappy this game is. Poor gameplay, and cover system. Dark day for me and Star Trek fans everywhere
  30. Apr 25, 2013
    Another terrible rushed movie tie in game. These must stop. Somebody has to do something about it. It's almost as bad as the Terminator Movie game. Almost.
  31. Apr 26, 2013
    Wow. What an enormous, buggy mess. I bought the Xbox 360 version for my 12-year-old son he'd been waiting for it for months. Well...we've played buggy games before, but this one's co-op feature went totally south after one play attempt (so, uh, nope it's not just Steam causing the issue). We could not resume our local co-op game...the game play is kind of lame, and it really lacks any sort of innovative gaming, which could be excused if the code were clean and the game actually worked right. Before co-op went south, we saw a number of bugs and render errors.
    It's highly disappointing that Namco and its partners seem to be spamming positive reviews of this mess. As someone who used to review games for a living and a former judge for games for the Codies, this is really disappointing. Everyone who bought this mess should get a full refund and $15 credit for a game humans can actually play.
  32. Apr 25, 2013
    This is a lame movie licensed game like all the rest. Co-op doesn't even work, and a lot of the positive reviews are fake. They established a severe review embargo so that critics wouldn't be able to let people know how awful it is, but hopefully people won't let them get away with that. This 0 is deserved, for both the poor business practices and another terrible game. Don't waste your time, folks. Expand
  33. Apr 25, 2013
    Do not buy this game and support these rats who put out an unfinished game and try to hide it by making fake reviews. It is very sickening what people like this do to the gaming industry.
  34. Apr 25, 2013
    This is by far the biggest piss poor excuse for a "GAME", is not even a game. IT'S A BULLSH!T RIPOFF!. do not buy, do not play it (if u can), do even think of the title of this "GAME".
  35. Apr 25, 2013
    Now i'm a big star trek fan but when things like this happen.. it makes me ashamed to be a fan of the franchise.. this is a glitchy as hell game and personally, i'd much rather play a little game called Star trek online..I'm more just giving this a 0 due to the really big PR problem these guys had with this game, and the complete lack of respect to the fans of this franchise..

Though
    the glitches and servers being down did not help. Expand
  36. Apr 26, 2013
    All fake accounts and developers rate the game 10 or 8 out of 10. Now if you rate your own game a 10 out of 10 just because you made it while no one else is able to play the co op and the game is just pure why even bother making it? I hope, from the ground of my heart, that Namco Bandai games goes bankrupt. Shame on all of you over at Bandai.
  37. Apr 25, 2013
    Sucks balls the end........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ Expand
  38. Apr 25, 2013
    It lacks at everything it should succeed at. it barely compares to the games released now. the mini games don't get any more difficult and only become a pain to do in the future.
  39. Apr 26, 2013
    Completely broken and bug ridden. They had no excuse to release to release it in this state. The lowest point was when the developers created fake game accounts to write false reviews to boost the game, that alone spells out that this game is A good game would speak for itself.
    A typical attempt to cash in on the movie. EPIC FAIL.
  40. Apr 25, 2013
    Wow! The persons/developers that posted the 10 should have their finger broken for typing such lies. The game has tearing issues, poor AI, low detail, poor color schemes.......if you ask about it, excluding the story, the entire game is a pile of Rubbish with one good attribute, again excluding the story, to comment on. I do NOT make games for a living, but what I do I do well and I have the ability to see good and poor quality from those around me (Its Engineering).......when I see poor quality I say, "Stop, let's do that again". Why this was allowed release is beyond me, it honestly has made me not want to even see the movie. Expand
  41. Apr 26, 2013
    Stay away from this game! You've been warned. Don't believe in blasphemous accounts that gives a score of 8 or 9 or 10. They're all fake accounts that Namco made to boost the popularity of this buggy game for you to buy it. Nice try Namco, but try again.
  42. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is a horrible glitchy bug filled mess. For the Developers and Publishers to be coming on here and giving the game a perfect 10 is a travesty. It shows how little the people in the gaming industry care about their customers all they want it blindside you and steal your money as fast as possible before you have a chance to learn the truth about their games. Absolutely, dishearteningly pathetic. Expand
  43. Apr 26, 2013
    This game could be so good, innovative, authentic but... NO, its just another third person shooter that offers nothing new. The gameplay, characters, story, graphics everything is pretty generic. My advice: go play mass effect 1 and 2 again. Wait for the price to drop for like $20. This is just my opinion.
  44. Apr 26, 2013
    So, let me be clear. This game gets a 1 because it starts up and looks/acts like a game. I really didn't believe how awful people were claiming it is. I feel compelled to never play this again before getting through the first mission.

Issue 1: Minor, but serious WARNING FLAG. Even as the UI pans to the options screen there's a visible glitch.

Issue 2: Upon starting the game, I had no
    idea what was going on. There's a lame attempt at foreshadowing the inevitable Kirk/Spock fight. It's doesn't even work as a story device because it's just badly done.

Issue 3: Finally, on board the Enterprise. TRIANGLES ARE FLYING EVERYWHERE. Literally the most horrible graphical bug i've ever seen in a game. Not present anywhere else, as far as i've seen. Might be limited to some hardware but it is a game breaking bug. I have a fairly widespread, if weak, GPU in this machine. I can't be the only one to have had this.

Issue 4: First hacking puzzle. Seriously, I looked at this for 10 seconds and could not comprehend what I was supposed to do. The implied nature seemed simple, but visually there was no indication of anything that made sense. Again, i've seen other complaints of the same nature. Make Spock hack everything.

Issue 5: Got to the third spinny thing, black screen and total lockout from the pc. Hard reset. This was actually the 2nd black screen in 10 minutes of gameplay.

Then I came here. Because if I played for another 10 minutes, i'd easily have another 5 points to make.

The graphics are actually an awful mash of different quality levels. High res next to low res. Some assets make others look worse by just being near eachother. Extremely inconsistent. Whoever directed the cinematics/cutscenes/dialogue should never be allowed to work in games again. Seriously, who directed this? Kevin Smith?! (I like Smith, but he's not an action director to the point where he's cut action from his films so he didn't have to direct it!) I haven't even heard enough dialogue to be critical of the performance, purely how story flow/pacing is churned out destroys any good the actors might have done. WTF is wrong with Scotty's eyes? It's like he starts crosseyed and then... oh why even bother trying to explain it.

So basically, a 5 is extremely generous and the maximum legitimate score. Anything above that is a review by someone involved with the game. That includes the reviews from 6-10 claiming that Star Trek fans will love it. This is literally them trying to pander to hardcore Trek fans as a last resort. They are lying and you'll find out soon enough if you buy it.

Absolute trash. Worse than Colonial Marines, for real. I managed to finish Colonial Marines, as awful as I knew it was. Anyone who can finish this really deserves a free car or a year's supply of toilet paper or something. It makes CM look like a 9/10 game.

This game is practically committing fraud. I'm pretty sure that if standards and practices/ethics organisations were more involved in the game business this would be considered fraud. I have never made that accusation against a game in my life. Valve might want to rethink their refund policy for this one.
  45. Apr 25, 2013
    As a gamer, I rate the games I play based on interesting stories, good gameplay, and the game's value compared to what I paid for it.

The story is decent...not bad, not great, just decent. Not edge-of-the-seat stuff, but at least it wasn't utterly boring.

The gameplay is the massive albatross around the title's neck. I can put up a long list of its faults, but most damning are the
    dated graphics, which look like they came from the original XBox, and the pointlessness of the cooperative interaction between Kirk and Spock, especially when playing on your own. It's extremely easy to flat-out forget about the other guy until he gets stuck running into a wall and needs to be revived.

For value, I would have slapped a 0 on this game if I paid $60 for it. Enemy AI is just too easy, so the game doesn't last and there's no replay value. However, I rented it for $2, which is pretty much equal to its value to most gamers.
  46. Apr 26, 2013
    The first thing i noticed when playing the game was that it looks like a pre-alpha; the textures are muddy and the character animations are laughable. While decent graphics aren't necessary to make a game enjoyable, for a game that claims to be a triple A title there's no excuse why it looks like a game from 2001.

The controls felt a bit clunky and unresponsive and the story had me
    bored after only 30 minutes, all in all a totally abysmal game. I can't think of a worse game I've ever played, and considering the fact that I've been gaming since the mid 70's I've played a lot of bad games. Expand
  47. Apr 26, 2013
    Thank god for refunds on steam, if listed features do not work as advertised you can always get your money back like me! Disappointing as I waited quite a while for this game, with the publishers PR team creating false metacritic ratings to try and boost sales I hereby declare shinannigans and am boycotting Namco.
  48. Apr 30, 2013
    I am disgusted with this crap. I have already refused to purchase games from Capcom and Sega due to their collective BS, and now movie license games. Wow. The last Movie game I played that sucked like this was Transformers, or Terminator Salvation. You, Star Trek, don't even garner an integer. I give you a 0. An Incomplete. A FAILURE. How the hell do you release a game that doesn't work properly? Really? Really??? Fallout New Vegas was better. Skyrim was better. They had HUGE glitches, but you know why they're better than you? Because they at least WORKED. Yeah, you might have had a character shoot 1000 feet in the air, but you could at least PLAY THE DANG GAME. Releasing a product only partially finished is pathetic. Pathetic. I'm glad I never got a Cheeve, that way I could DELETE the dang info. Expand
  49. Apr 27, 2013
    I posted my review over in the PC version but wanted to post here since this one seems to be getting more "user" attention due to being on the main games chart on the main page of metacritic (at the time of writing).

To any potential customers: BEFORE you trust any of these "green" 7-10 rating reviews, click the user name and look at the number of ratings and reviews they have! I cannot
    stress this enough. Most of them have only reviewed THIS particular game. That should raise your mental red flags, especially in light of the fact that at least ONE member of the development team has been caught engaging in shady PR on Steam.

I have yet to see a legitimate high rating from someone who has reviewed multiple games spanning months or years.
  50. May 7, 2013
    I am a fan of the new Star Trek movies. I am a fan of science fiction. I am a fan of this sort of game.

I am so glad I rented this game. I don't even have words to express how glad I am that I did not buy this game. I am not a tough critic. If a game has some enjoyable elements, I will enjoy the bits that I can. This game has no enjoyable elements. Not a single one. The graphics
    are mediocre at best. The gameplay is truly horrible. The story is atrocious (as much as I could tolerate before I returned the rental on the same day I rented it). I have never rated a game a zero, because there was no reason to give a game such a bad score if there was some redeeming quality to it.

I rated this game a zero. I hope I am never again confronted with a game so bad that I will return the rental early because I just can't even stand to have it in my house.
  51. Apr 27, 2013
    Just popping in to counteract the BS metacritic accounts this company made. These companies that think they can get away with this kind of stuff are really pissing me off now. I just want this practice to stop. It's embarassing. STOP!

This game sucks don't buy it. You'll be sorry!
  52. Apr 28, 2013
    I have never met a game that I would rate before I finished it through the credits. Until now. I have been gaming since 1979 and I watched the original star treks when they were new every week when I was I kid. I am a huge fan of Star Trek. I rented this game at Redbox for $2.70. I want my money back. The first thing I noticed with this game is the terrible controls. Kirk had a kind of "walk drift" or maybe it was an intentional code to push the character forward, whatever it is Kirk would walk right off ledges. He did it four times in the first ten minutes of game play. I played the original Tomb Raider and all that followed. I played all of the Prince of Persia series and Assassins Creed. I do not walk off cliffs. Bad controls walk off cliffs.

They had him climbing walls like Ezo (well a cheap knock off Ezo) Why? because they had no original ideas and "gee everyone is doing it, Momma can we do it too? please? please Momma?" Ridiculous.

I ejected the game in disgust within those first ten minutes, the first time I have ever done that. Usually I am tenacious and will push through.

Because I'm merciful I will throw this game a bone. The setting was very Star Trekkie. There that's all I got.

Final word: In today's gaming world "Ain't nobody got time for this!"
  53. Apr 28, 2013
    Once again, we get a high budget, 60 dollar game, and what do we get? An unfinished, bland game. There's only 6 or 7 hours of gameplay, but you'll still regret every hour. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!
  54. Apr 26, 2013
    I've just sat on the bog n pushed out a giant turd!...... So I thought since I produced it I would give it a 10 out of freaking 10!!!!!

I cant believe people would review their own s*it how utterly embarrassing!
  55. Apr 26, 2013
    The game is bad, but worse is the Devs treatment of the major problems it was having. Fake metacritic accounts, downplaying issues over twitter and the senior producer, Kenneth Lindenbaum, posting on Steam forums about how it all works fine for him.

Well, given the average user review on here, I hope they learned their lessons.
  56. Apr 27, 2013
    Do NOT buy this game! It's not even worth a rent, it's just that bad. The game has clunky controls, dated graphics and poor animations. Yeah, I suppose the voices and sounds are great. BUT THAT'S IT! Every thing else, the A.I., cut-scenes, the general story lack severely in quality. It's almost like they didn't give a crap from the beginning they started making the damn game.

yourself some money and instead go play the FREE Star Trek Online mmo. Wasting your time and money on something as broke as this is SIMPLY not worth it. It's such a shame, I actually like some of Namco's games but this one is just SO BAD. Please save yourself headache. They go as far as to create fake reviews to try and counter the negative score, that alone should raise a red-flag.

Again, this game is COMPLETELY broke. Not worth the buy (even if it was priced at $5) or even to rent. There are plenty of other games with more re-playability and with LESS bugs than this pile of crap.

I rate this zero to reflect the level of effort they put into the game.
  57. Apr 27, 2013
    First off for starters I am not someone that works in the video game industry but rather i am a hardcore gamer that cares about content and games that are released, now with that being said lets crack on.

I did not purchase the game instead i rented it that way I can give ti a go and see how it is seeing that i am a huge Star Trek fan. This game for starters is rather quite buggy, you
    experience clipping quite on the norm especially when you are opening doors with your partner. Clipping I know is in every game but when you see it over and over again wit the same animations for opening a door it feels cheap. Next your AI partner can get caught up just running into walls or just not responding to what the objective is which leads to you having to reload the last checkpoint. These are just a few of the bugs that i personally experienced myself and thought i would share with everyone. If you can ignore these frustrations then you might be able to force your way through the game but some of these bugs were just really frustrating and should have been taken care of before release. So for everyone out there do take into mind that something is off if review copies are not sent out to reviewers.

To end this review the game just seems like a cash in on the reemerged popularity in the franchise which is a shame because I believe there are many people who want to see a great Star Trek game.
  58. Apr 27, 2013
    There is a good reason that gamer's take interest in quality control.

Their favorite IP's are often taken advantage of, for reasons no more convoluted than fiscal profit.

A bad game, is not a rare coinsurance. They are pretty easy to spot. It's been widely accepted, Star Trek The Video game is not only buggy, antiquated, and in some regards, non-functional but it's an obvious
    attempt to capitalize on the IP's popularity among long time fans of the series.

I do not own the game. If you're reading this; you don't need me to tell you, that this game is not worth your money. You should already know by now.

I'm writing this because of the un-ethical practices by the developers to influence the consumer base with fake reviews. Because of lead developers (Kenneth) arguing on Steam, posing as a normal guy, who loves the game. Because of refusing to provide pre-release review copies and yet, still insisting on charging full price for the release.

These are the kind of business practices that the gaming community, on a whole, are trying to document.

It's up to the gamer, to punish these kinds of developers and publishers of poorly made games, by voting with your collective wallets.

But this is not a matter of Star Trek simply being a bad game.

A bad game is bad enough; but when a company goes beyond marketing, and attempts to run a deliberate campaign to deceive the ill-informed consumer, we must hold them accountable by getting online documenting why we're upset, and contacting those at fault; in addition to not paying for something that is merely a scheme to get your money...

The gaming community is smarter than these people take us for.

Do not let yourself be comfortable with these kinds of practices. It is our responsibility to enforce a standard; please, for your fellow gamers, do not buy this game you are condoning the worst of the gaming industry.
  59. Apr 28, 2013
    I could compare this game to aliens CM I actually got pretty exited though not as much as for aliens
    it's set in the future though not the future of gaming they have aliens they both felt a little unfinished
    AND THEY BOTH SUCK though to aliens credit at least the co-op works
  60. Apr 28, 2013
    The voice talent is great but In these hard ecconomic times we live in most people find it hard enough just surviving, (eating, paying for living space ect... and some times you may even find yourself far enough ahead of the wolves to take a breath and relaxe a little and reward your self for your efforts to stay afloat. Purchasing Star Trek the Game did not have the desired effect that I was led to anticipate, (to say the least.) During my attempts to try to enjoy the product I kept experiencing problems like pressing L3 and not being able to get character to sprint, or pressing O and not being able to take cover from enemy fire. There are many parts of the game where you have to sprint and jump and you just end up jogging to your doom. In some instances I couldn't even get the character to interact with a ladder, resulting in my having to replay a particular part over and over and over. Characters also walk thru one another and get stuck on things much too often. shame on Paramount and Bandai Namco Games .You have made it clear that you don't have a very high opinion of the consumer. The important thing is, you got us to spend our hard earned money so you can maintaine a lavish lifestyle. Misleading the consumer into purchasing a sub standard product has become the norm, and is destroying the gaming industry. From hence forth April 23rd shall be known as National Settle For Less Day. Expand
  61. Apr 29, 2013
    Well where to start? I love Star Trek, and you'd think a game with a good writer on board, and solid voice acting from all the cast of the reboot would be good. Unfortunately it isn't. It's clear that this game was released in a highly unfinished state.

It has less polish than a dusty old cabinet in a shed, and more bugs then the insect house at Chester Zoo. Allow me to elaborate.
    The game is clearly designed to be played with a human co-op partner. If you have to rely on the AI, you're in for a lousy time.

- Your AI character (Spock in my case) will very often get confused by simple things such as walls and just run into them
    - When ordered to unlock a door or hack something he will very often just stand there
    - On one occasion I was downed in a gun battle. Did Spock heal me? No he just stood there looking and I had to restart and entire section
    - The jumping mechanics are a joke
    - The graphics would have been an embarrassment as a 360 launch title

I honestly don't know how anyone can rate this game above 3 stars. It claims to have 'Mass Effect' style gameplay. That's a huge insult to Bioware and anyone involved with the Mass Effect universe. This game does not even deserve to lick Commander Shepard's boots.

Truly awful stuff. If you don't believe me, rent before you buy!
  62. May 9, 2013
    Liking a game is one thing, but this mess isn't in anyway shape or form a 10. Those reviews are fake and most likely planted. Confusing missions, too many mini games and abysmal graphics.
  63. Dec 9, 2013
    This game is terrible. Boring, not fun, meh graphics, broken coop... It was just BAD. Found it to be unplayable, personally. Worst game this year on xbox- definitely one of the all time worst.
  64. Jul 12, 2013
    While not being the worst movie licensed game I have ever played this game was a huge fail and letdown From the start this game is filled with tons of glitches and bugs The AI teammate you have that is either Kirk or Spock depending on who your playing is useless and at times refuses to do things. Various times I had to do something in sync with the teammate and the teammate just didn't do what they had to do or got stuck luckily the last checkpoint option saved this game from getting a 3 in my opinion The graphics are terrible too for this day and age and really are nothing special The story is just plain boring and predictable The Gorn return and they play the stereotypical boring alien race seen dozens of times that wanna destroy the universe and make everyone their slaves. The story is told ok though and doesnt leave you clueless which I suppose counts for something The game play is just as generic and tedious as the next 3rd person shooter which Is where I believe this game went wrong I believe they focused to much on it being a 3rd person shooter then anything else. The soundtrack is incredibly uninspiring and is barely existent even when its heard it just sounds like again every other generic sci fi game soundtrack and nothing like the mass effect and halo soundtracks I and many others have come to love. The stealth mechanics in this game are terrible if you even wanna attempt playing stealth the game gives you commendations for doing it and the thing that made me laugh the most was your ai teammate is somehow invisible to them instead of the game developers making him smart and avoid enemy's they took the pathetic easy route. Plenty of times I would see Spock in my case run out and get seen but the enemy's would just avoid him All this is wrapped up into your boring 8-11 hour campaign depending on play tactic and difficulty with boring easily boss battles and a boss without an actual personality. Avoid this game like the plague. Expand
  65. May 6, 2013
    This game was garbage. It froze up on me in the first 5 minutes and has deleted my save more times than I can count. The game is broken broken broken broken. Do not support this garbage.
  66. Sep 6, 2013
    Este juego es una de esas cosas que no deseas equivocarte al comprar jamas es una copia barata de todos los buenos juegos de este tipo que puedes ver un error de juego total
  67. Apr 26, 2013
    First of all I will say this. I will never buy a Namco Bandai Game ever again." 2.7 average reviews is absolutely correct. The game is just horrible, pitiful and dishonest for the price.
  68. Apr 27, 2013
    Any game with fake reviews and broken coop deserves to be removed from Steam. This game sucks. Don't get this game, it is a waste of time and money...
  69. Apr 27, 2013
    the game is with lots of bugs, online not working and they think we will not notice the fake accounts boosting metacritic score ,so f you and hope you never develop another game in the future
  70. Apr 27, 2013
    THIS GAME SUCKS. It had potential being star trek but now its stupid. i played it and had bug after bug glitch after glitch. IT MUST DIE. But i mean it had good graphics and stuff but its bad. JUST BAD AND POOP SALAD.
  71. Apr 28, 2013
    I think everyone is being a little hard on a game that really isn't that bad. And if you have ps3 and 3D tv it looks pretty cool. For a franchise game I think I could have been a lot worse.(and contrary to what some people have said, it is in no way related to the story line of the up-coming film)
  72. Apr 30, 2013
    Wow, I literally just registered for an account here to say how terrible this was. Poor textures, lacklustre gameplay. getting stuck in walls and doors and on ladders. AI blocking doors you need to walk through. Overriding memory of the game was selecting 'restart checkpoint' because of a bug, my AI partner kept stopping to go on an invisible treadmill in the corner of the room, he also sat through an entire boss fight FACING THE WRONG WAY and not fighting. no wonder he kept dying. there was literally nothing in it other than TPS and a couple of interactive cut-scenes. good script, good voice acting ish, excellent sound. on second thoughts they did basically use the same sounds for the bad guys as one of the aliens in Halo 3. why? only good for comedy value because of the bugs, but you can get that on youtube for free. I think if it was half the length and cost £0.50 it would have been worth it. Treat this game like a plague victim and don't go near it if your life depends on it. If someone wants you to play the whole game make sure you are being paid for your time. Expand
  73. May 1, 2013
    Hello Fellow metacritics. I just became a member today to comment on this terrible game. I am an avid Star Trek fan. This game takes away from the anticipation of the upcoming movie. It is horrible and very buggy. I paid full price for this garbage and just wish there was a way to receive a full refund. This is what makes the video gaming industry terrible entertainment for that mater. It allows someone to put out a known crappy product and get paid. For now on I will use reviewing sites like this one to review before any purchase at all in the future. I give this game a 1 just because of Gene Roddenberry's creation and brand which obviously Namco leeched onto. Expand
  74. May 2, 2013
    It's rare that a game should disappoint on so many levels. The graphics are outdated. The AI is, frankly, dumb. The writing and plots are both extremely predictable. On whole, the game is little more than a platform jump/shooter, and a very buggy one, to boot. If you're playing it solo, your "partner" does little more than get in the way.

To be honest, I did not play it for more
    than an hour. With everything about it being so bad, I don't need to give it any more of a chance. Expand
  75. May 2, 2013
    don't buy this game is riddled with bugs and unplayable problems. this game has small pockets of fun maybe every 2 hours or so but thats it. game s repetitive and boring definitely not worth $60, maybe buy it if price tag is under $5
  76. May 6, 2013
    I thought Aliens Colonial Marines was a bad game but when you look at Star Trek... Aliens CM looks like a great game instead of this game.... Bad IA, Bad Graphics, Bad Animation, Coop not working at the release nothing can't be save in that mess... it doesn't deserve to be played by anyone not even the Star Trek Franchise's fan.... but the game made me laugh a lot when I saw Spock dying again and again for NO REASON or getting stuck and force you to reload the checkpoint. Nah seriously, save your money for Mass Effect if you didn't play it or even Resident Evil 6 Dead Space 3... because all those games are a lot better than this... damn I can't even call it a "game"... Expand
  77. May 14, 2013
    Okay so I've played some bad games but this one has just earned it place in my top 10 games
    A star Trek game sounds like a good idea. Right? Wrong! I only wish that when they delayed the release of this game they would've polished it up and fixes the co-op and stuff. This game is a mess! Yeah you can explore the ship and play as our favorite heroes and the voice acting is pretty damn
    good. But geez! Please can we get a damn co-op game going?! I don't know how it went for others but mine didn't function right but still. Anyway I felt like they just didn't even con sitter fixing this game up. So many glitches and bugs I had to restart my console cause the game crashed! We're in 2013! How do we still have games that CRASH!!!?!?!?!? But when it doesn't mess up its pretty fun and entertaining its a pretty decent third person shooter when the A.I is working. But anyway this game isn't bad it....Okay I guess
    some of the glitches were pretty funny!
    I'm just glad I rented it and didn't pay full price for this game.
  78. May 23, 2013
    works fine for me game uses steam servers _-_

yea
  79. Jun 15, 2013
    That anyone could rate this game above a 5 or describe any part as awesome makes me feel like I was sent a dud disk, a Videodrome alike attempt to crush my mind and drain every feeling of joy out of a franchise I love.

I played Star Trek with a friend in couch-coop, a mode that seemed perfectly suited to the Spock/ Kirk interplay of the new movies. There were certainly a few sequences
    of dialogue that made me chuckle, but most of the laughs came from the atrocious script and wooden character models.

Perhaps it's because this is a game of a film, but I expect film quality dialogue, film quality cut scenes, and film quality story. This game delivers none of this. Characters will stride across rooms, rotate on the spot and deliver their lines like a group of stage players. Lip syncing fails with alarming regularity (strangely, more regularly on Karl Urban's normally well played McCoy) leaving the crew looking like stuffed mannaquins.

The story deals with the Gorn, they of the Star Trek background. What's odd though is that these Gorn are nothing like those protrayed in Star Trek up 'til now, and have gained a backstory that's entirely at odds with everything written about them so far. The writers would have been better to have created a new race, rather than invent such a contrived origin as they managed here.

Texture quality seems to have been chopped at the last second, and more often than not I was confronted with disturbing levels of banding on skyboxes. We're not quite at holodeck technology, but it'd be nice to have a bit of immersion from the graphics this game reminded me of Playstation 2 shocker Driv3r more often than not.

I mentioned laughing at the game, and it was the recurrence of odd bugs that brought the most entertainment. Ragdoll bodies shooting across the level, Kirk and Spock glitching into each other when opening doors, enemies running into walls (or even just ignoring you), and more often than not entire sequences failing to initialise. Early in the game, a boss collapsed to the floor having failed to initialise a scripted sequence that would allow us to proceed. A swift checkpoint restart was all that could fix this. Nevermind that it's impossible for Player Two to enjoy a coop experience over two sittings, my chum was annoyed to find that all his progress has been reset after we began playing again no achievements for you my friend.

It would be hard to finish without mentioning the ending. Don't worry, there are no spoilers there's nothing to spoil! All you get for completing the game is a daringly short shot of the Enterprise warping away, coupled with a voiceover on the credits. Did the developers plan for something more, but find themselves short of time? Either way, I don't expect to have to suffer because they can't manage their time properly.

I'd be remiss to mention the sound, if only to say how unremarkable it is. Weapons manage to feel like little more than nerf guns, and the soundtrack rapidly begins to grate with its overuse of the films' leitmotifs. Special mention must go to a segments in one of the earlier episodes that my gaming companion and I both realised sounded more like Star Wars than Star Trek. Perhaps the composer had as little interest in the subject matter as the rest of the team.

This is a bad game, and it's galling how much it wastes an excellent subject. The endlessly repeated on-rails segments will haunt me, and the commendation system barely manages to encourage replayability. If you see this for £5 in a bargain bin, it's maybe worth a punt, at full price it's only going to disappoint.
  80. Jun 17, 2013
    Originally I saw this game first back at E3 2012. After watching some brief game play I could not wait for the games release the following year. When I finally played it I forgot what I liked about the game so much. Game play is okay, however, glitches become annoying. Game is better played with a friend on co-op but does not make up for other places the game is lacking.
  81. Jul 6, 2013
    Best movie tie-in game ever. Still a very poor game. Developer's must realise that chucking a movie license on your game isn't an excuse to make a half-assed effort.
  82. Aug 29, 2013
    I normally don't take the time to blog and write reviews on games but I litterally made an account here JUST FOR THIS GAME!! IM SOO DISSAPOINTED. Honestly did this game even go through testing? I have never played a game with more bugs and glitches than this one. I find myself constantly having to restart the lvl because of getting stuck on a wall or even a game sign necessary to complete the level that glitched and didn't even show up. On top of that the controls on this game are absolutely horrrid. I have NEVER played a game with worse control controls than this one. Walking alone glitches. Dissapointing because the game does have a couple of fun parts if u can have the patients to make it through its slew of glitches.. I blame everything on the game testers. This game was obviously rushed to hit the stores and it shows. I want my money back. Expand
  83. Jun 21, 2014
    Nam-co employes or people who give this piece of crap a 7-10 are scum I respect people that actually genuinely like the game now the score is evened up fairly even though I think the game would've actually have gotten a 4 out of ten despite my review also the namco employees are acting like scum. This is my first review and it may seem suspicious but whatever let the namco employees act like brats and call me and everyone who wanted to even out the score anyways basically you heard all the complaints buggy as hell, mediocre graphics, **** coop and launch, etc. I advise you to avoid this horrible game also this is the rating I would've regardless of the child brats, sorry to beat a dead horse. Expand
  84. Apr 29, 2013

The

1. Jul 22, 2013
    Throughout its run-time, which seems like an eternity (though likely isn’t), Star Trek is a consistently underwhelming and frequently frustrating experience; it’s mostly ugly, it plays alright and does little of interest with a great license.
  2. Jun 12, 2013
    Star Trek: The Video Game is almost a fun, harmless game about cool characters shooting lizard men, but never rises above what you’d expect a licensed tie-in to be.
  3. May 31, 2013
    A shoddy job - no laurels! Even Captain Kirk and Spock know that. In all respects Star Trek: The Video Game is a very bad game.