2.7

1. Apr 26, 2013
    This game looked better in the videos, unfortunately it falls short. Don't buy it, it's not worth the $60.

But yes, these fake 10/10's are bad, as are the 0/10's (it's not that good or that bad)

Also, I am glad Angry Joe pointed out the co-op flaws in PC version, but this is the 360 section.
  2. Aug 26, 2013
    The two significant flaws of this game are the awkward control system and bad AI. The rest are cosmetic stuff. The good parts of this game still outweighed the bad: the soundtrack is great, the storyline is interesting and engaging, the voice-acting great, the game-pace is fast and movie-like, and the combat was fun even though it is far from perfect. On occasion I was even impressed byThe two significant flaws of this game are the awkward control system and bad AI. The rest are cosmetic stuff. The good parts of this game still outweighed the bad: the soundtrack is great, the storyline is interesting and engaging, the voice-acting great, the game-pace is fast and movie-like, and the combat was fun even though it is far from perfect. On occasion I was even impressed by the visuals. It is mainly the tricorder and classic Star Trek weaponry that contributed to making the combat fun. The bad AI accidentaly turns this game into a tactical game, you simply need to order your companion around, otherwise he will die easily. As far as bugs and glitches go this game is no worse than most other games, including Skyrim, Assassin's Creed 3 and Dark Souls, which all had far more glitches and bugs than Star Trek yet no one is objective enough to mention that. The remaining cosmetic flaws of Star Trek are quite insignificant, unless all you really care about in games are the visuals. By the way I seriously doubt that 231 people would actually buy this game if it was so bad, so if you are reading this I would take it with a grain of salt. People love jumping on a bandwagon. Take it from someone who has actually completed the game twice: the proper objective rating for this game should be around 5-7 out of 10. If gameplay mechanics don't bother you much and you love the Star Trek universe the rating would probably be even higher. For me the only flaw with the combat is that there's no close-quarter combat function. The rest I was perfectly fine with. All in all I thought the game was fun, would I have paid full-price for it not really, £15-20 is a more reasonable price-range than £30. Expand
  3. Apr 25, 2013
    Okay have this game from Steam My real name's Dan, I am not an employee of Namco or anything. I throw that out there because holy crap do people think that no one can like this game without being bought off.

I just created this account to say the game is not horrible. The story is interesting, the voice acting is solid, and though there's some weirdness in the collision detecting and weird glitches. The setpieces are great and I hate the thought that somebody is throwing a zero out there just to tank a game that seriously doesn't deserve it...

This is the PC version I'm talking about I understand the PS3 version and 360 version are tanked.
    And unfortunately the multiplayer you know the thing they did a WHOLE DAMNED VIDEO about? It doesn't work.

I don't play multiplayer games but looks like I lucked out this time. Buy it if you're a Trek 09 fan, or GameFly it if you're having cold feet.
  4. Apr 25, 2013
    This is a dark day for my gaming world. I'm a huge trek fan so this hurts even more yet again. I passed up on some great and now I know awesome titles in the past few months in order to save up and buy this game. I admit I was hooked when I first saw the initial reviews of 8 to 10 perfect scores. This game is very aveage at best and I so wish I can return this game. But I will suck itThis is a dark day for my gaming world. I'm a huge trek fan so this hurts even more yet again. I passed up on some great and now I know awesome titles in the past few months in order to save up and buy this game. I admit I was hooked when I first saw the initial reviews of 8 to 10 perfect scores. This game is very aveage at best and I so wish I can return this game. But I will suck it up and finish it. Maybe I can still trade it in for another title like tomb raider or bioshock. Elite force will always be the best trek game out to date. Expand
  5. Apr 26, 2013
    People giving it a 0 are no better than the people giving it a 10. You people are jokes, how about instead of trying to troll rating, just give it what you actually think it deserves and leave it at that. The game doesn't deserve a 0, no game deserves a 0, especially if it's actually playable. It definitely does NOT deserve a 10 either because the game suffers from loads of problems. YouPeople giving it a 0 are no better than the people giving it a 10. You people are jokes, how about instead of trying to troll rating, just give it what you actually think it deserves and leave it at that. The game doesn't deserve a 0, no game deserves a 0, especially if it's actually playable. It definitely does NOT deserve a 10 either because the game suffers from loads of problems. You people being all focused on "balancing" the score is just disgusting.

I guess some people just really need to grow up. Perhaps one day everyone will see how stupid they were being... but I wont hold my breath.
  6. Apr 26, 2013
    I swear this forum is full of 12 yr olds. Everyone complaining about the game, well not everyone. but the tone is full of bs and attacks. I have the game and have been playing for awhile now, is it the next greatest thing, no, but it is fun and has a very good Star Trek feel to it. I have no complaints in the graphics dept. the game has many good aspects to it and the story is decent. ItI swear this forum is full of 12 yr olds. Everyone complaining about the game, well not everyone. but the tone is full of bs and attacks. I have the game and have been playing for awhile now, is it the next greatest thing, no, but it is fun and has a very good Star Trek feel to it. I have no complaints in the graphics dept. the game has many good aspects to it and the story is decent. It has its bugs yes, but if you overlook them the game is a good deal of fun. The tricorder is a good fun tool. The scanning and research bits are a nice touch. And the lite RPGs aspects add some depth to the game. I don't know why all the bad reviews are flocking here, but if you are a true Star Trek fan there is a lot of fun to be had with the game. Expand
  7. Apr 30, 2013
    I enjoy the game. It is truly made for hard core trekkies, ready to look past the faults. The highlight of the game is 2 things: the story (I like the Gorn story) and the audio (voice and music). I love the soundtrack from Trek 2009 and its here. The cut scene graphics are not great, lots of artifacts. The in-game are fine, not out of this world, but no complaints. Is the game worthI enjoy the game. It is truly made for hard core trekkies, ready to look past the faults. The highlight of the game is 2 things: the story (I like the Gorn story) and the audio (voice and music). I love the soundtrack from Trek 2009 and its here. The cut scene graphics are not great, lots of artifacts. The in-game are fine, not out of this world, but no complaints. Is the game worth $60, no. The most is $40. Because I am a huge fan of Star Trek, they got my $60. I consider it a partial donation to keep Trek rolling for the future, even if they can't make a perfect game. Amazing that it supposedly took 3yrs to make this game. If you are a Trek fan, get it, maybe wait for the price to go down or catch it used. I have no regrets getting it, even at full price. Live long and prosper. Expand
  8. Apr 30, 2013
    Like most I was at first excited about the new Star Trek video game but quickly lost interest once reviews and quick looks started rolling in. Currently the game (360 version) has a 43/100 critic rating on MetaCritic and a 2.5/10 user score. Pretty bad. Despite knowing better, I rented the game from Red Box anyway. $2 a day isn't that bad, and if it turned out to be terrible I'd cut myLike most I was at first excited about the new Star Trek video game but quickly lost interest once reviews and quick looks started rolling in. Currently the game (360 version) has a 43/100 critic rating on MetaCritic and a 2.5/10 user score. Pretty bad. Despite knowing better, I rented the game from Red Box anyway. $2 a day isn't that bad, and if it turned out to be terrible I'd cut my losses early.

I've invested $6 in the game so far (three days) and I have to say it's not as bad as I imagined it would be. I started out playing co-op with my girlfriend and the level design and gameplay is ugly right from the start. The game makes it very clunky to get into and out of cover and for someone who isn't well versed in video game mechanics is guaranteed to have a very difficult time early on. If that weren't bad enough, oftentimes the game will react in strange ways to your inputs. You can push to jump in one direction and your character will jump off a cliff to his death for no good reason.

There's a sequence early on where you have to run as a series of explosions chases you. This is a point in the game where I really wanted to put down the controller and take the game back to Red Box. For some reason every time the game starts you off with the camera backward and your character facing in the wrong direction and you have to quickly reorient yourself and get running in the right direction or you'll die. This was more inconvenient than difficult for me as I quickly realized the game was trying to kill me. For my girlfriend, however, it was incredibly frustrating. When the game isn't being helpful at all it's much more difficult for someone who doesn't play video games often to get oriented and do what you're supposed to do. What's worse is doing what you're supposed to do can get you killed as often as not in this game because of bugs and bad design.

I started playing solo after the first level (with AI controlling Spock) and for awhile this was less frustrating. Until I ran into climbing sequences where it's almost completely unpredictable where your character is going to jump even if you're pressing in the right direction. Several times Captain Kirk simply jumped to his death for no good reason. I guess I'd want to end it all too if I were stuck in this horrible game.

Once the action picks up the game plays a little better. Of course I'm playing on easy so I can run and gun, because if I had to rely on the clunky cover system my blood pressure would rise even further than it already does while playing this game. There's a moderate variety of weapons you can pick up as you go, and it's satisfying to kill the Gorn enemies. As a Starfeet Captain you're "supposed" to 'set phasers to stun' when facing possessed human enemies, however I find it more enjoyable to simply kill them (not to mention easier). You can only fire off two "stun" shots before your weapon has to recharge and when you're facing a large number of enemies it's not practical to stun them all. Furthermore a stunned enemy only remains so for a few seconds and you have to run up to them and melee them to knock them out or they'll return to shooting at you. Interestingly the achievements reward you for getting X number of kills with each weapon, so again it's more beneficial to just kill everything.

Like the movies, there's lots of lens flare here.

One thing I like about playing with an AI partner is that you can have them perform all of the hacking and unlocking in the game. The mini-games are excessively long and get annoying so it's nice to just have Spock do everything for me. The co-op doors get incredibly annoying and boring, however. Why can't I just open the damn door?

The game has been a decent experience so far. It would be nice to actually be able to pilot the Enterprise rather than just play a sort of Space Invaders game where you fend off attacking ships with the Enterprise's weapons. It's an okay section, but they could've done more with the Enterprise. There are several sections of the game that encourage stealth, however it's more of a pain in the ass to try to pass by stealthily than it is to simply kill the enemies. There's also an upgrade system where you can spend XP in order to improve certain equipment, but as far as I can tell the upgrades make barely any impact on gameplay and I've stopped bothering even opening the menu.

Lastly, and probably least important, the names of the achievements in the game are lazy and this bothers me. "Beat Helios-1", "Beat New Vulcan"... They could've at least had better names for the story completion achievements. This has no impact on the game, it just really stood out to me.

In the end I would say you should not purchase Star Trek at its retail $60 price tag. I wouldn't even recommend buying it used until it drops below $20. You're best off renting the game at Red Box and you could probably complete it in a night if you wanted.

-avideogamelife.com
  9. May 11, 2013
    Real god game, have played some bad games in my Life, but this is one off the better movie game i ever played Some bugs in the game take down the score, its real god game if you like star trek you going too like this game.
  10. Apr 26, 2013
    The game is not perfect by any means, it has some very noticeable flaws, but overall is better than the sum of it's parts, if just barely. The graphics are sub-par, no not original Xbox bad, more like 2006 360 bad. The animations are not bad, but not exactly smooth, and the Friendly A.I. while doing a good job healing and taking orders, is not that helpful in combat. All that said, I'mThe game is not perfect by any means, it has some very noticeable flaws, but overall is better than the sum of it's parts, if just barely. The graphics are sub-par, no not original Xbox bad, more like 2006 360 bad. The animations are not bad, but not exactly smooth, and the Friendly A.I. while doing a good job healing and taking orders, is not that helpful in combat. All that said, I'm having fun with the game, the story has been great thus far, the shooting mechanics feel good with a solid variety of weapons. It does a great job capturing the feel and look of Star Trek, and putting you in the shoes of the characters.There was some work put into this game, perhaps on a limited budget, but it's there. It gets the big things right, maybe some of the little things wrong. Overall, I think it's going to depend on A: How much you like third person action games and B: How much you like Star Trek. Me personally I hold both in high regard, so I can overlook some of the flaws. If your the same go out and support this game, it's probably gonna need it. Expand
  11. Apr 25, 2013
    You guys are acting like this is the worst game ever. It's not that bad, It's actually enjoyable. I've played it for about two hours and I had some fun with that so far. Of course there are things that are not great about it like: the graphics, some little bugs here and there, and sometimes the AI is a little glitchy. However some of these reviews are negative for the sake of beingYou guys are acting like this is the worst game ever. It's not that bad, It's actually enjoyable. I've played it for about two hours and I had some fun with that so far. Of course there are things that are not great about it like: the graphics, some little bugs here and there, and sometimes the AI is a little glitchy. However some of these reviews are negative for the sake of being negative. This game is far from the worst game ever, I mean have you played 007 Legends? To me 007 Legends goes right along with Superman the game for N64. Those two games were not even fun, at least this one is fun. So bottom line on this is it's a pretty fun game, with some minor glitches. If you're Star Trek fan you will going to enjoy this. it it's not perfect but it's fun. Expand
  12. Apr 25, 2013
    Not meaning to sound rude but unlike most of the people here I've actually played the game and for an extended amount of time. This is a more fitting score. I have to admit what first was excitement over the possibility of a great new Trek game has dwindled since I've played it. Not that the game doesn't have it's share of good moments, but what plagues Star Trek is that it's just soNot meaning to sound rude but unlike most of the people here I've actually played the game and for an extended amount of time. This is a more fitting score. I have to admit what first was excitement over the possibility of a great new Trek game has dwindled since I've played it. Not that the game doesn't have it's share of good moments, but what plagues Star Trek is that it's just so average. Blend together the movement and cover scheme of Mass Effect, the detective mode of the Batman Arkham games, and the overall feel of The Darkness 2 and you get Star Trek. The gameplay just isn't that fresh and it's not that much fun or kinectic like it could have been. With all of that said it's passable. Environments are recycled through the same areas, and there isn't much variety to them. But developer Digital Extremes managed to put together the entire cast from the Abrams movie, each member makes the game a little better and gives off the Trek atmosphere, Kirk and Spock's banter is easily a highlight. Michael Giacchino from the movies steps in and provides some excellent music that just makes the atmosphere work, and that's the best thing about this game, is how much they tried to accommodate it to Abram's Trek. The story is fairly interesting, revolving around the Gorn with some nice references from the original series thrown in. At the end of the day you have a decent game that for Trek fans I'd recommend a rent. Expand
  13. Apr 23, 2013
    So far it is not bad. I find it to be very similar to James Bond Blood Stone. While it is a low budget movie game with rough graphics and was clearly rushed to beat theaters, it has a certain charm and it is clear that the developers do love the series.
  14. Apr 26, 2013
    The game isn't too bad, but it's far from being a AAA title. The game suffers from lack of polish, and it has random bugs throughout, but nothing really game breaking. For the co-op factor alone it is fun, but playing singleplayer is a lot less fun due to the stupid AI. Some of the bugs that happen actually are pretty funny though.

Don't let random bad ratings from trolls prevent u

Don't let random bad ratings from trolls prevent u from getting this game. While it may not be worth $60, it is not a bad game, and if you have a friend to play with then the game is much more fun. If people actually think this game deserves a 0, and games like Walking Dead: Survival Instincts, or Resident Evil: ORC don't, then I feel terrible for you.
  15. Apr 28, 2013
    Beyond the co-op not working this is just an average adventure game with cover based shooter mechanics. Almost had buyers remorse but I really wasn't expecting much out of a Star Trek game, no one seems to have made a decent one recently.
  16. Apr 27, 2013
    I am shocked and appalled at how glitchy this game is and how the developers have the nerve to write fake reviews and score it a 10.

The A.I is brain-dead. If you want to do something stealthy then don't count on it because your A.I will run in at full speed whether it is Spock or Kirk. It's glitchy! I've had to restart levels because I've ended up walking in space, bosses have died

It's glitchy! I've had to restart levels because I've ended up walking in space, bosses have died too soon and as a result interrupted a cut scene, the AI will just stop what they're doing sometimes and expect you to do the whole level on your own.

The controls are just clunky. It's hard to jump from pillar to pillar, your partner will stand in front of a door and refuse to move, your character will sometimes refuse to move in the right direction... just bad. Why couldn't they fix this before release?

Now don't get me wrong: this game has got some redeeming features.

The characters may look ghostly but the environments are pretty damn awesome. They are beautiful on my PC and I have stopped moving to look around in awe.

The voice actors are all here too which is a nice touch although the friendship between Spock and Kirk is a little... well it doesn't feel right. Would it have felt better if the characters were based off of original Kirk and Spock and voiced by Shatner and Nimoy? Some part of me wants to wish so but I know it wouldn't work.

This game is disappointing and bad. As a life-long fan of Star Trek: TOS I can safely say I want Scotty to beam me up because this game was a waste of money.

Ps.

I've not tried Co-Op just yet so I do not think it would be fair to comment on that aspect of the game
  17. Sep 7, 2013
    This game has been way overly-bashed. I'm on my second play-through. Despite the rough edges from being rushed to market due to publishing and manufacturing deadlines, it's quite playable, and on the XB360 I suffered no freezes or major glitches. It's a real Star Trek type story with good voice acting and soundtrack.The guns are accurate, fun and diverse, and the tricorder is done great.This game has been way overly-bashed. I'm on my second play-through. Despite the rough edges from being rushed to market due to publishing and manufacturing deadlines, it's quite playable, and on the XB360 I suffered no freezes or major glitches. It's a real Star Trek type story with good voice acting and soundtrack.The guns are accurate, fun and diverse, and the tricorder is done great. The worst thing I noticed was probably the abruptly bad cut scene editing, a wonky space battle, and a couple of tricky flying sequences Way worth the $20 you can get it for now, especially if you really like Star Trek. If you don't like Star Trek you probably won't like it. Expand
  18. May 29, 2013
    Average graphics, the levels weren't particularly imaginative, and the game play was nothing new. It's average little Star Trek shooter that ought to lend few hours of enjoyment to those who are fans of the new Star Trek series and 3rd person shooters. While it is a fun little shooter the game isn't worth 60 bucks. I'd wait until the game hits 10 dollar range before picking it up.
  19. Apr 26, 2013
    I had high expectations for this game but like most others who have reviewed this game I feel as though it needs refining on numerous aspects. The game has mediocre graphics along with low grade AI. Star Trek also fails to explain some hacking mini-games that are necessary to get through most parts of the game but overall were not difficult to figure out. Some glitches happen withI had high expectations for this game but like most others who have reviewed this game I feel as though it needs refining on numerous aspects. The game has mediocre graphics along with low grade AI. Star Trek also fails to explain some hacking mini-games that are necessary to get through most parts of the game but overall were not difficult to figure out. Some glitches happen with character movement but nothing to drastic to ruin the game play's entirety. Some positives include the voice acting provided by the cast from the movies, co-op seems to be well paced and enjoyable with friends, and the upgrade system for the phaser and tricorder are small in size but some obtainable upgrades still have the ability in certain battle situations to provide assistance to both Kirk and Spock. This game feels like a downloadable game opposed to a $60 game. Overall the game is over priced but would recommend renting from gamefly or redbox to play online co-op with a friend. Expand
  20. May 1, 2013
    I had very high hopes for this game as there hasn't been a decent Star Trek game out in years. I'm old enough to have played Star Trek games from Interplay so I know what I'm talking about.

Star Trek The Video Game isn't good, but it isn't bad either. It needed more polish, it needed a better game mechanic, in short- it needed more time in development. But as "movie-tie-in-games go, it isn't bad.

That being said, what I am angry about is that I paid $60 for it. This is a $30 game at best.

I'll play it through, once as Kirk and once as Spock but then its off to GameStop for trade credit.
  21. Apr 28, 2013
    The voice talent is great but In these hard ecconomic times we live in most people find it hard enough just surviving, (eating, paying for living space ect... and some times you may even find yourself far enough ahead of the wolves to take a breath and relaxe a little and reward your self for your efforts to stay afloat. Purchasing Star Trek the Game did not have the desired effect thatThe voice talent is great but In these hard ecconomic times we live in most people find it hard enough just surviving, (eating, paying for living space ect... and some times you may even find yourself far enough ahead of the wolves to take a breath and relaxe a little and reward your self for your efforts to stay afloat. Purchasing Star Trek the Game did not have the desired effect that I was led to anticipate, (to say the least.) During my attempts to try to enjoy the product I kept experiencing problems like pressing L3 and not being able to get character to sprint, or pressing O and not being able to take cover from enemy fire. There are many parts of the game where you have to sprint and jump and you just end up jogging to your doom. In some instances I couldn't even get the character to interact with a ladder, resulting in my having to replay a particular part over and over and over. Characters also walk thru one another and get stuck on things much too often. shame on Paramount and Bandai Namco Games .You have made it clear that you don't have a very high opinion of the consumer. The important thing is, you got us to spend our hard earned money so you can maintaine a lavish lifestyle. Misleading the consumer into purchasing a sub standard product has become the norm, and is destroying the gaming industry. From hence forth April 23rd shall be known as National Settle For Less Day. Collapse

1. Jul 22, 2013
    Throughout its run-time, which seems like an eternity (though likely isn’t), Star Trek is a consistently underwhelming and frequently frustrating experience; it’s mostly ugly, it plays alright and does little of interest with a great license.
  2. Jun 12, 2013
    Star Trek: The Video Game is almost a fun, harmless game about cool characters shooting lizard men, but never rises above what you’d expect a licensed tie-in to be.
  3. May 31, 2013
    A shoddy job - no laurels! Even Captain Kirk and Spock know that. In all respects Star Trek: The Video Game is a very bad game.