2.7

1. Apr 24, 2013
    I'm not going to balance out the score (I think that is just a distasteful as the 10's from the software developers).
    This game is below average but not a zero. Poor graphics, glitches, and sub-par game-play. I'm half way through the game and the story isn't horrible but it isn't the best either. Although it is a fun co-op experience.
    This is the type of game that should be $30 max $40
    right off the store shelves and I would buy it. I will purchase it but I will wait for that used price. Expand
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    Look, if you are somehow affiliated with the company and shilling good reviews on Metacritic, face it champ, you are a cheap sellout. This game is EXACTLY what we've all feared: a shoddy knock-off of a venerable IP. Congrats, you threw some bones (heh) at the original cast and then skimped on game mechanics, graphics, and story...i.e. the only things that matter. And, oh dear V'ger...the cutscenes...every 2 minutes. Oh really...another turbolift ride? Did you guys not notice how Mass Effect fixed this obvious BS? I would say, honestly, that if you're a hardcore Trekkie...please wait until this is >$20. It's simply a substandard, lazy game. Expand
  3. Apr 29, 2013
    If you're a Trekkie or any sort of Gamer you are bound to experience a lot of different feelings towards this game, none of the are good! Here's why:

There is a lot I want to say about the game and to run it into the ground for how disappointed I am in it, but I will do my best to be as factual as possible. In short the game feel like a beta version and not a polished game.

The
    controls are floaty at best and this leads to you feeling disconnected from start to finish. For example, ledge grabs feel forced and it is always a guessing game as to whether of not you are meant to be going a certain way.

The A.I. is just a joke and 'boss' fights are quickly dealt with as enemies are easily dispatched by simply being quicker than your opponent. Even on the Hard setting it's just too easy, all enemies seem to walk into the barrel of you gun.

The graphics have their moments but for the most part are disjointed, with poor lighting. The textures are for the most part bland and I found myself on the Gorn mothership wondering when will the scenery change.

The level design is simplistic turning it into a less than fantastic corridor shooter, it gets old really fast.

The bugs, yes I'm sure you have read it's buggy by now and believe me when I say, they aren't lying. Clipping left right and center, overlays of previous segments, guns firing in the reload position, enemies running into walls, death for no reason (I kid you not, I have died after a cut scene more than once).

The only saving grace this game may have is the co-op, I gave this a bash for 1 round using Xbox Live and it was amusing. However I did find myself having to run after my partner often as they simply wanted to run-and-gun without any exploration. This said, the match-making is not perfect as I often found myself selecting my play criteria only to be given the exact opposite of what I wanted. I.E. play only as Kirk and yet I end up playing as Spock.

My final words, if you really must have this game... Please for the love of all that is holy, wait for it second hand. If ever a developer deserved to go under due to sloppy workmanship the makers of Star Trek certainly do!
  4. Apr 24, 2013
    Nice visuals, entertaining mini-games, but the rest of it is a buggy mess filled with horrible design ideas (like over-the-shoulder camera, climbing sections and forced stealth). I humbly advice you to avoid this game.
  5. Apr 23, 2013
    I rented this game tonight and returned it within 2 hours. Subpar graphics, cheesy and forced dialog, not enough combat scenarios, only being able to play as Kirk or Spock. This is truly an abomination. And guess what, I love Star Trek. Don't waste your money on this game!
  6. Apr 24, 2013
    If you love Star Trek and you are not employee of the company who made this junk, or another developer, who pays people to write positive reviews. DON'T BUY THIS GAME!!! FOR REAL! Wait till it gets cheaper, really cheap, i dont mean "Gamestop used game cheap" i mean really cheap. A real bad try to combine Mass Effect, and Gears with the look of JJ Abrams version of Star Trek. It should actually explain some of the faults in the first movie and should connect it with the second part. In my eyes it doesnt. Why do the Gorn look that way?? Even Star trek Online made a good version of them, actually the story in STO was more tensing than here.

Its merely a middle class co-op shooter. and when playing alone. its sucks even more.

It has its good moments, but unfortunately there are bugs and glitches. Which should not, actually should never be in the final version of a game.

If you can look over the logic faults, the party extremly bad textures, and the bugged co-op.
    Well you can play it in co-op (thats the real good point here)
    But not worth 60 Euro. 30 would be much, 25 okay., but 60 for a not finished game?

When do Publishers stop releasing games in a Beta status? Aren't there testers for that?

As it is still a try to put a better light into Star Trek than the new Movies, its a 4/10 on normal rating standards.
    The Plus from the Co-Op in it already.

But the bugs and the fact that it gets boring after.. 2 hours of gameplay. makes it just a 3/10
  7. Apr 24, 2013
    Stop lying to consumers Namco Bandai. The fact that you delayed review copies, denying that Co-op doesn't work and having to create fake accounts on Metacritic in order to combat the negative press reviews this game is about to get is crap. Incredibly unprofessional. Its again another sub par, below average movie licensed title with third person action we've seen time and time again.
  8. Apr 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game looks like, if you squatted down and took a big smelly dump and then got down on your hands and knees and ate that very dump.

Spoiler Alert-

This game is terrible.
  9. Apr 24, 2013
    audio is probably the best thing about the game, followed by the overall feel; which is to say it feels like "Trek," with some nods to REAL STAR TREK. Think having the actual actors hurt them as well as helped, they burned so many polygons trying to duplicate faces, and they look awful. Made the rest of the textures low res to keep frame rates up.
  10. Apr 24, 2013
    Please, do not waste your money on this shi* like i did... Even fans could have made a much better job!!!
    Star Trek should stay as a TV serie, do not ruin that too...
  11. Apr 23, 2013
    Just a terrible, terrible game. Like someone said on twitter "I say it now & loud. Those user reviews on MetaCritic for #StarTrek are flat out lies. So far it's as much fun as jacking off a Klingon." Such a scam. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! 0/10 for sure.
  12. Apr 25, 2013
    Balancing out the terrible liars.
    You guys know that for every fake 9 or 10 there's gonna be a couple more 0 s because this is just so despising. Why would you even think you could get away with this?
  13. Apr 23, 2013
    Very lame game. Graphics are like Im playing a game for the Original Xbox, and the controls are ridiculous, along with the camera movement. I would not recommend even renting this game I don't care if your a die hard Star Trek fan. You will be very dissapointed. I was looking forward to this and I am sad they couldn't pull through
  14. Apr 25, 2013
    A worthless attempt on making an enjoyable interactive experience to the star trek universe. Even worse is having people from the development team trying to scam us by using fake accounts on meta critic to try and convince people to buy the game. If they think that customers are idiots then they shouldn't have considered using tricks like this to give a lame excuse to buy the game. AVOID IT
  15. Apr 25, 2013
    Its terrible how Video Game developers are being increasingly dishonest. DONT BUY THIS GAME! There are loads of bugs and glitches and the PC version does not have operational coop.
  16. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would like to say i was expecting a BETTER game,given the fame of its license.but,i'm sad to report STAR TREK the video game is of almost Duke Nukem level mediocrity.the graphics are rough,exhibiting a distinct lack of polish.story amounts to a work of star trek fan fiction that barely holds ones interest.gameplay mechanics that aspire to be like a MASS EFFECT style third person shooter,but fall well short.more then a little clipping,geometry intersection and poor environmental hit detection.rudimentery puzzles that repeat far too often and co-op interactive scenario's of a most basic level akin to the Army of Two series.partner A.I. is borderline incompetent,although i suspect an online buddy would help alleviate this.its very little wonder no advance copies of this game went out for proper review prior to launch,the faulty workmanship would have been laid bare,it should serve as a warning when a games publisher withholds it for review.i would advise a rent,as i had done if you still want to give it a go.i however cannot endorse a full box price purchase.$60 is far too much to shell out for pablum of this nature.a shame really,as i had said before,i was expecting better,the sad reputation for movie based games continues to be perpetuated with STAR TREK the video game,be forewarned. Expand
  17. Apr 25, 2013
    Glitch infested pile of s**t By the way if you see all those super positive reviews saying how game is awesome those are most likely Namco Bandai PR employes trying to boost user score just like they are doing in PC section
  18. Apr 24, 2013
    cant play online! piece of crap! sort it out!.... graphics are not that bad but i met many glitches.. not worth full price.. license games should cost 30$

btw stop creating fake accounts to boost the score!!!
  19. Apr 25, 2013
    This game is awfully bad, its so bad it makes me cry but the reason I set it so low is the shady business of the developers, fake accounts on metacritic and steam do not buy this game until the price is so low!
  20. Apr 24, 2013
    Shills. Shills everywhere. Shady devs doing shady stuff. To all of you who paid for this game, I urge you to get refunds or do chargebacks with your banks if possible. Do not support this kind of shady behavior.
  21. Apr 25, 2013
    This game could have been good but hey, what do you expect from a game that comes out like 3 months after its announced. Im giving this game a 0 not because i despised it was unplayable, (definetly awful tough) but because a company writing fake user reviews is just plain dishonest and pathetic. The bad quality of the game could have been more understandable if it was rushed because of the release of the movie, but was not rushed. These guys have been working on the game since before the original JJ Abrahams star trek in 2009, which is plenty of time to develop a game. So you could say they just f*cked it up and its pretty much their fault. But if you make a bad game, and its your fault, just accept it and move on, don't write useless fake user reviews because you are going to be mauled by the press anyway. I personally have much more respect for people who make games but don't lie to your face about it. The zero is also for failing to make something worthy of the JJ Abraham movies, which h I am a big fan of. Expand
  22. Apr 25, 2013
    Buggy as hell, co-op doesn't work,glitches everywhere, boring story, un original gameplay.
    Fake accounts reviewing this game giving it a 8 to 10 score range make me want to vomit, i can believe namco actually agreed to collaborate in a project like this. is clearly an unfinished game. do not buy it.
  23. Apr 24, 2013
    This game has so many bugs that anyone should have been embarrased to release it.
    Tossing the bugs aside, it's a very average game that deserves a score around 5-6, but since people don't mind giving painfully buggy games a 10 i guess i don't mind giving it 0.
  24. Apr 25, 2013
    I was very sceptical about this game, and now all my worst nightmares have become true. This game is horrid. Gameplay: 1 Voice acting: 1 Story: 1 Concept: 1 Art style: 1
    I have run these points through a complicated and thorough score aggregation process and determined that this game conclusively deserves a score of 2/10.

Thank you for your attention.
  25. Apr 25, 2013
    Haha look at all the profiles of the people giving this game high scores. See anything weird? Most have only reviewed this game and a few have 1 or 2 others reviews in a half hearted attempt to hide the fact that THEY ARE FROM THE DEVELOPERS. You know your game is absolutely horrible when you have to try and inflate your score by reviewing it yourself. Without those scores and reviews I'd guess this game would be rated somewhere around 1-2. Expand
  26. Apr 25, 2013
    Co-op doesn't work, gameplay mechanics looks like a cheap rip-off of popular titles, like Call of Duty. There's no creativity in the art direction, looks like it's taken straight from Mass Effect 3. Don't buy this game.
  27. Apr 24, 2013
    This game is pretty good. The game definitely captures the feel of the movie. It has some pretty decent visuals, and a solid story, as well as good voice acting. The combat is a pretty generic, and there really isn't anything all that special about the game. With Co-op, there's definitely fun to be had. You can scan items for XP, then use that XP to upgrade your guy, which was neat.

Overall, don't expect your mind to be blown, since this game pretty much does what a million games before it has done. It doesn't mean its a bad game though, but I think fans of star trek would probably get the most enjoyment out of this game. For people who aren't fans, it's pretty much a straightforward shooter like games you have probably played before.
  28. Apr 25, 2013
    the co- is so bad the game is glitches and it is like the wrost game of 2013 also I do not know wtf why they can't make a star trek game that is good they always f*ck it up
  29. Apr 25, 2013
    I have got to say..wow. Really? Fake accounts? You guys thought you can pass that off? That is just sad. It really shows how crappy this game is. Poor gameplay, and cover system. Dark day for me and Star Trek fans everywhere
  30. Apr 25, 2013
    Another terrible rushed movie tie in game. These must stop. Somebody has to do something about it. It's almost as bad as the Terminator Movie game. Almost.

1. Jul 22, 2013
    Throughout its run-time, which seems like an eternity (though likely isn’t), Star Trek is a consistently underwhelming and frequently frustrating experience; it’s mostly ugly, it plays alright and does little of interest with a great license.
  2. Jun 12, 2013
    Star Trek: The Video Game is almost a fun, harmless game about cool characters shooting lizard men, but never rises above what you’d expect a licensed tie-in to be.
  3. May 31, 2013
    A shoddy job - no laurels! Even Captain Kirk and Spock know that. In all respects Star Trek: The Video Game is a very bad game.