7.5

1. Jun 5, 2013
    Such a fun game to play! So much content and things to do and the fact that it's an Xbox Live Arcade game blows my mind. A must get for all zombie fans. Something original, fresh and and new.
  2. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is a time consuming, absorbing entertaining thrill ride. I've just got off my xbox after a 15 hour gaming session, in which I've hardly made a dent in it. The little things make this game, like the resource gathering and the ability to change character and home, etc. Some of the craziest stuff can happen, for instance my car broke down when I was in the middle of no where and I had hike back to my base with just a baseball bat and a few snacks. It's things like that, which make this game. If you can look over its obvious flaws like the frame rate issue, the glitches and the occasional face palm moment, you'll find a game which really can be admired and loved. At it's core it feels like an old school game. If you're a fan of casual games which go easy on you, this probably wont be for you. This is a game us zombie fans and survival fans have all been waiting for and although it isn't perfect, it's an incredibly good, deep and well thought out game. I can tell this is something I'll be playing for months to come. Expand
  3. Jun 5, 2013
    big, scary and awesome; it's reminds me of walking dead season 1. the game has its flaws, but nothing that ruins it. scavenge, build bases, make friends and enemies and beat zombies to pulp. i also love that death is permanent (but you can play as any ally from your base).

you need to try this game.
  4. Jun 5, 2013
    good game way better then WarZ even better then dayZ but of course it is coz dayz is a mod anyways this game kicks ass
  5. Jun 6, 2013
    In two days I have played this game for 14 hours, I still haven't finished it, and every moment has been fantastic fun. Yes the game has some issues, but I can over look all of these issues because how thrilling this game can be. It is a survival game, taking on zombies should be avoided, and when your best character is cornered it is terrifying, and when you escape by the skin of my teeth it was incredibly satisfying. If you're a fan of zombie games, or even someone looking for something unique, you must absolutely at least give this a try. Expand
  6. Jun 5, 2013
    This game was a blast, it was more another persons try on dead rising or a Day z for people who don't like to watch paint dry. For the price you are getting a great deal.
  7. Jun 6, 2013
    very saddened about this game as I was excited for it but it turned out I was wrong. Firstly the game is too hard and the perma death feature and it's autosaving is obnoxious, and the overpowered "big un" zombie killing two of my best characters on a "zed hunt" leaving me to use the lesser skilled or in my opinion useless members of the base. The had been injured and refused to heal for 4 days straight in game time and even able bodied team members are lazy that they can't sprint for more than 2 seconds.

This game is the embodiment of cruel developers trying to snatch control and fun away from gamers and ruining any hard work a player makes or progress that is made thus leaving them with the bottom of the barrel team members. Also zombies have an unfair grappling animation that is frustrating and overpowered even when the player is a few feet from the car.

0/10 too hard

A really sad attempt by developers to torment and punish gamers with permadeath and creating a depressing result and sucking out any fun there is to be had.
  8. Jun 6, 2013
    With so-so graphics and the occassional frame rate or glitch State of Decay is still a whole lot of fun and intense zombie-killing action! HUGE open world with lots to see and do. Scary, intense and stress-inducing. Clocked almost 15 hours and barely scratched the beginning. Must buy if you are into the whole End of the World Zombie stuff.
  9. Jun 6, 2013
    9/10 because it doesn't include co-op. Amazing arcade game and well worth the $20 admission price. Very well done. Graphics aren't spectacular but the gameplay is. Always something to do. If you like hugs while playing this game will probably drive you crazy because it is constantly trying to kill you. In that I mean it is not easy. Think like a real survivor or else. Don't wander out after dark unprepared and if you wouldn't take on 10 zombies alone in real life you probably shouldn't in this game either, you will die and death is permanent. Expand
  10. Jun 6, 2013
    With the amount of content in this open-world, survival (emphasis on survival) game, $20 is the deal of the century. There are some framerate issues, to be sure, but the game itself is unbelievably compelling and I can't put it down. Very, very impressed.

In addition to the exploration and zombie fighting, there's an interesting fort/companion management mode that really serves to
    invest the player in keeping the fort safe and the companions alive. The huge open world is full of interesting places to check out and loot, and the Assassin Creed-like survey points help you scope out the best places.

With Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and now State of Decay, 2013 has seemingly been the year of the arcade game so far. I see this as a great thing as each of those games have impressed me, especially at what they are each priced at.

State of Decay is a great game that really deserves the attention it's getting. A very solid 9 score for me.
  11. Jun 5, 2013
    Without a doubt in my mind the best zombie game I've ever played. The game feels nice, looks nice, and plays nice. Definitely one for the zombie killer in all of us. I strongly recommend it.
  12. Jun 13, 2013
    sooooooooooo disappointed with this game. Its so repetitive.
    iam still wait for a great zombie game. I waited 5 months for this game and iam so angry.
  13. Jun 16, 2013
    Very fun game! Love the idea and it plays very well but the reason I gave it a 6 is because it is clearly not finished. It is sooo bug ridden in some parts can be virtually unplayable! e.g Lag when driving, people going missing right outside you house, and broken animations more! It is bad that Undead labs did not put anywhere that this game is in Alpha, because that is the state it is unofficially in. I would demand for my money back but I actually had some good fun on this game. My advise, wait for a few updates to come out then buy it! Expand
  14. Jun 6, 2013
    Anyone who paid $60 for Dead Island or Left 4 Dead should feel pretty well ripped off by now. This game is $20, and is an objective-based, open world game with a solid narrative to boot. The frame rate drops, but I doubt you'll even care much once the ball gets rolling in this game. You have $20 to spend on a zombie survival game, so do yourself a favor and spend it here.
  15. Jun 7, 2013
    For me, I'm finding it quite boring. It's a scavenger hunt mixed with whack-a-mole combat. It's not a particularly good looking game, poor framerates are a constant. There is a perma-death aspect, but unless you're running around like an idiot the game is pretty easy. Idk, it's ok, apparently some people think it's amazing. It's only $20 so there is that.
  16. Jul 24, 2013
    State of Decay
    Average User Score: 7.5
    State of Decay ImageThink of this game as a hybrid. It combines elements of Left 4 Dead, Dead Island, Dead Rising, Red Dead Redemption (Undead Nightmare) and so on. Add on the element of building a base, keeping it going, expanding it, resource gathering and all the trappings of an RPG and you have one helluva Arcade game. For $20 I dare you to
    find me a better game, if so please let me know. Only reason I didn't give it a 10 same thing most are saying lack of co-op. If they add this on it could become one of the best Arcade games and or best zombies games of this (soon to be over) console generation. Expand
  17. Jun 5, 2013
    State of Decay is one of the few Arcade Games that are worth the money. (1600MSP btw.)
    It has a lot of content and the map has a pretty decent size for a SP-only Open World Arcade Game.
    The controls are pretty good, though you cant change the sensitivity.
    The graphics are not the best, but its an Arcade Game and all about gameplay so I wont complain about that much. The social features
    are great and force you to do something by collecting resources which are needed to keep the base secured and the community happy. The atmosphere is great and you really have to pay attention on what you are doing and how, cause there are a lot of zombies which can get alerted pretty easy if you dont pay attention.
    There also is a huge variety of weapons, gadgets and consumable which can be really useful in some situations.

The negatives are the reason I "only" give 8.5 out of 10:

- you cant adjust brightness in-game
    - some really heavy stuttering sometimes especially when driving in a car )
    - many little bugs but nothing big )
    - some frame drops even with the low-level graphics
  18. Jun 12, 2013
    I was one of the many people very excited for this game and really wanted to like it but sadly I just can not! Besides the terrible graphics (not a big deal being its an arcade game) everything else pretty much sucks too! The combat is just button mashing, the homefront management sucks and every time I start to really begin exploration or even on my way to a mission I get a radio call telling me someone in in trouble so I have to rush and save them! This doesn't provide a sense of tense urgency but rather a huge sense of. "Just let me do something that i actually want to do!" Also wtf is up with every time I turn the game off and come back half of the stuff I collected is gone? Why are you punished for having other things to do in life other than play a garbage game that DOES have potential to be very good. Unfortunately the potential is just that Expand
  19. Jun 6, 2013
    This game can be summed up in one sentence; Grand Theft Auto, with zombies. That's probably over-simplifying things, but it's fair assessment. The mission structure, open-world sandbox & feel of the game are very reminiscent of the GTA franchise, with the sense that this world would continue to function without your presence. SOD is a bit rough around the edges, and feels like a game that would have been at more at home on the PS2, but I was undeniably hooked once I had worked my way through the tutorial missions at the beginning. I haven't really had time to explore the resource management aspect of the game yet (you can strike out from a base of operations, recruiting survivors and scavenging for resources), but there's a definite thrill gained from sneaking into shops or gas stations, looking for medicine, food or fuel to keep your community going. The game seems quite buggy at present, with zombies (or 'zeds', in the games parlance) just popping in randomly sometimes, or glitching through walls. Also, a quick glance at both user and professional reviews will repeatedly mention the camera; it's not great, and can prove annoying when trying to sneak about, especially when hiding in the undergrowth. But it's fiendishly addictive, and I'm now writing this review at 1am after a solid four hours of play, when I had only intended to pop the game on for half an hour or so. Fans of GTA, The Walking Dead and, of course, DayZ will definitely want to check this out, and I can't wait to see what future updates bring. If they enabled online multiplayer/co-op, this game would just explode. Check out the demo, see what you think, and don't be afraid to persevere for a rewarding experience. Expand
  20. Jun 9, 2013
    One of the best arcade titles of 2013. Some much content kept me playing for days. Better than dayz or warz. They exucuted suspense and horror perfectly for a game like this. Well done, undead studios!!
  21. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed everything the game was day z and war z That be and is not, because the only problem in the game for me and the game is not coop, why was this game and perfect upon history. excellent advise playing game Expand
  22. Jun 5, 2013
    Having been disappointed by games like War Z, Dead Island, and Dead Rising this one finally hits the mark that zombie games should be aiming for. State of Decay is a combination of a LOT of genres including survival, action, RPG, strategy, and simulation. While it doesn't exactly nail each of these genres in the gameplay it comes pretty damn close.

SoD is a game that is not based about
    a singular character in a linear storyline but rather a community of characters in a dynamic sandbox environment. Yes, there are missions and quests but they seem to be optional and the player can play at their own pace (with some exceptions). That being said, the difficult does ramp up as you progress further in the storyline. This sort of gameplay is a unique and refreshing take on zombies and you'll be pressured to avoid combat rather then shoot your way through it. This game does feature permanent death so making mistakes can easily and quickly kill off your favorite character causing you to play as another team member.

Characters in the game are mostly semi-randomly generated with the exceptions being storyline or plot characters and, for me, they are the core of the game. While they could use a bit more visual variety (mostly with the heads) they all have unique traits, skills, and abilities that make them valuable to your community. Furthermore, you have an outpost that you call home and can use resources to build additions, upgrade, and perform unique functions with it giving you distinct advantages. These choices matter and are hard; do you build a garden for food or a workshop to repair vehicles? With the pressure this game provides it is difficult to make these difficult decisions.

Downsides of the game is that there are technical hurdles that I hope the developer will fix and the game does tend to become increasingly difficult making it difficult to survive. Some performance lag does occur when driving or when multiple enemies are on the screen at one time. I also find night time terrifying and wish there was an option to just sleep through it. It is also somewhat difficult to trade items and equipment as you must drop everything in storage, switch characters, and then pick it up. Lastly, there is no multiplayer (though the developers have hinted at wanting to do a co-op DLC). I feel that most of these issues can be addressed and resolved through patches, difficulty sliders, and a few game options.

Anyways, SoD is looking to be a huge XBOX Live Arcade hit and is one sale for $18-20 or 1600 MS points. If you've been waiting for that "real" zombie survival simulator then give it a shot.
  23. Jun 6, 2013
    This is by far the best zombie game ever created. Not only is it open world sandbox it also mixes rpg, resource and community management, and it all works fantastically. This has to be Xbox arcade game of the year. It's ambitious and lives up to it promises of being a realistically fun zombie game that you would be brain dead to not buy this! It's only $20 btw soo worth it!!
  24. Jun 11, 2013
    Oh wow, another zombie survival game with an enormous country-side map. If at least they made it in a big city where there's actually something to see, the game could be a little bit interesting. Literally nothing new, the game is another dumb copy of Dayz with some new mechanics to make it a little bit different from the others.

People, please, stop making these games. Leave the zombie
    games to the few companies that really did something smart with this genre and move on to something else, I personally had enough of this.

If you want to play something decent with zombies, buy Arma 2 and play Dayz, buy Dead Rising, or just play to the zombie modes on CoD.
  25. Jun 5, 2013
    Just plain simple fun with nice game play all wrapped up in a $20 XBLA downloadable with plenty to do and with solid interactions with the AI this game is a must have for any one who loves the Zombie-Survival genre
  26. Jun 6, 2013
    Best sandbox game I've ever played. A true zombie survival game.After playing for hours i have lost only 1 survivor and i learned you have to be careful and don't bash every zombie you see. As for the downs. Boarding up windows for me just delays finishing off a zombie attack on your neighbors and the frame rates is little off sometimes. But it doesn't bother my game play at all. I love that you can run out of supplies in the town and cars don't re-spawn. Once an item or survivor is gone, they are gone. Making this a true survival game. Leveling up is excellent. There is always something to do. Mission, building friendship and moral, and just scavenging for supplies. All this just for 20$. Expand
  27. Jun 7, 2013
    The Zombie game we've all been waiting for, i think that pretty much sums up State of Decay. All that you could wish for in a survival horror game is here. Fun satisfying melee combat with plenty of weapons of all different varieties from machetes to baseball bats, lots of guns with sparse amounts of ammunition that needs to be scavenged and even craft able silencers to remain undetected. There's stealth kills and sneaking, there's full on battles with different combos to behead or de-leg zombies. There's skills to build and special moves to learn.. There's allies to find and bring back to your personal safe haven that you yourself can find and build around using materials found whilst scavenging the local towns and campsites. You can drive in cars at the risk of alerting hoards or you can choose to run if you have the stamina. You can make friends with local enclaves that will help you should you ask, for example i helped an army officer who then offered me the use of his mortar teams should i find myself in a sticky situation. There's literally too much to put down in this review, why waste time writing when i need to be scavenging medical supplies for my injured fellow survivors.. The thing that prevents me from giving State of Decay a 10/10 is the occasional technical glitch that often accompanies such ambitious titles and lets not forget that this is a £15 arcade title.If you like zombies, RPGs, horror, survival, looting, item management or just pummeling a zombies brains in go buy this game, i promise you that you wont regret it! Expand
  28. Jun 29, 2013
    This is the buggiest game I have ever seen. It has lots of screen freeze too many bugs because of lazy programming and poor testing.

They are basically using you to be a paying beta tester. BUYERS BEWARE!!
  29. Jun 6, 2013
    While I disagree with those who award the game a 10, I do completely understand their enthusiasm. The game is good... in fact really good... bordering on great... but there are some obvious problems that keep it from being a 10 IMO. Some problems like texture pop ins, dated graphics, clipping issues... etc. But with that said this does nothing to detract from the core gameplay mechanics... and in a nutshell it is the gameplay that is the star here. From what I understand the game is almost like a beta for a planned MMO zombie game... if this is true then the game developer is off to a good start and on the right track.

I will not go into the gameplay mechanics that make the game so good as others have already made some great comments on this already. But if you like zombies, RPG's, and survival horror then this is the game for you!
  30. Jun 9, 2013
    In a nutshell, its a poor man's Grand Theft Zombie. They take a lot of interesting ideas and pull them off some of the time. The game falls down in the areas of repetitive quests and uninspired combat. The day night cycle makes driving a pain at night and the twitchy driving controls don't help. Anytime you enter a cut-scene you have to wait it out... no skipping over boring dialogue you've read long before the actors actually speak it.

But despite the weaknesses, they do a great job with some of the core concepts. You are continuously bombarded with quest options, many of which may either save new potential recruits or ask you to save an already recruited friend in trouble somewhere. You may be sent to kill zombie infestation, or strike a deal with neighbors with ambiguous intentions. You can switch between certain friends you have recruited and brought home once your current character gets injured or just tired out. Fatigue is a major game play factor. And perma-death is a real risk for characters you may have used and leveled up often, although there usually others for you to switch to, albeit with less development.

I enjoyed the music well enough to not turn it off, which for me is unusual. The sound design works. You almost always know where the zombies are coming from, even when you can't see them. There are some clipping errors where they pop through walls or through closed doors. While annoying, it doesn't happen rampantly enough to ruin game play. The "barricade" mechanic is used as a gimmick in some missions, but isn't useful otherwise, and your barricades disappear when you leave and come back later. Your group collects resources you have scavenged and either brought back yourself, or radioed in for someone else to come get the items you have found at that location. It is interesting, but as you can only carry one pack at a time and can only call friends out a couple times a day it can get tedious trying to accumulate enough materials to start up in a new location or build a new tent in your mini fort, such as sleep areas or medical tents.

For poor technical performance and the inability to skip cut scene dialogue performance I'd take a point and that's being nice.. For repetitive combat, original but repetitive quests, useless features like "barricading", the incredibly boring and annoying "morale" quests, an un-fun scavenging mechanic and too much needless driving with twitchy cars, and many other little issues that detract more than contribute for another two points off.

I give it a 7. There are many great ideas here, and the game is a good value for it's price. Whether you can slog it out for long haul or not, you should find it a worthy distraction. I am excited for the developers to take their success here (second fastest selling game of all time on XBLA after Minecraft) and build on it for a more refined second pass sometime in the future.

I like seeing these larger games for reasonable prices, like Far Cry Blood Dragon or the new Call of Juarez releases on XBLA and don't feel bad about supporting this one at this price anyway.
  31. Jun 15, 2013
    State of Decay is definitely a very ambitious and enjoyable game to play. It's gameplay is definitely unique and very easy to get into. The character building system, the base building, and the overall fact of it being an open world sandbox give the player a ton of freedom to play the game the way that they really want to. Another plus for the game is that it's a $20 arcade title that's definitely worth the money. However, the game has several technical issues. There are constant frame rate drops and bugs like zombies clipping through walls and getting stuck between rocks. However, the jank in the game isn't enough to keep it from being a must own arcade title that players will pump a ton of hours into. Expand
  32. Jun 6, 2013
    Now, as Deadly Premonitions is the eccentric but fantastic survival horror, State of Decay is the oddity of the zombie genre, encapsulating many of the best features from the likes of early Resident Evils to DayZ and also introducing a few innovative elements. Whilst it's unpolished and has a few significant defects, there's a certain fun to the overall flow of gameplay, transcending any setbacks from low framerates and cumbersome combat.

The take on a post-apocalyptic world and a community within it, which you lead from a multitude of characters through 'influence', is a brilliantly fresh aspect to merely survival, it's construction from the ruins of the civilization clearly experienced: progression as is the direction this game takes. You're not only acquire resources for yourself and each decision isn't without consequence there's a bigger picture, as is the case of a societal collapse.

You must scout, accumulate resources, choose a base, improve defenses, establish facilities, search for survivors, improve weaponry, amass influence and maintain influence all factors to add a layer of depth to an otherwise straightforward survival game already enjoyable.

Go and lead through the apocalypse, not simply wander as a vagrant survivor.
  33. Jun 5, 2013
    This is the zombie game I've been waiting for. It delivers on all the promises UndeadLabs made. Its successfully combines everything from the iconic zombie games of the past.
  34. Sep 5, 2013
    It had potential, but in the end its just a bug filled, glitching mess of a game.

Ive waited for like 4 updates/patches and its still not working right so Im giving up on this one
  35. Jun 6, 2013
    Great game, Good fun with plenty to do. It keeps you entertained while the time fly's by.

Biggest dissapointment is the fact it has no CO-OP or multiplayer.

1600 MP is not bad really.
  36. Jun 6, 2013
    Greatest zombie game ever made, only a 9 because of the rough edges. This game has everything a zombie fan could want. Open world, limited supplies that don't respawn, permanent death, stealth ect. This game is not about killing zeds it's about surviving the zed threat. Try to take on more than 2 zombies at a time and you will be overwhelmed so its better to avoid and only attack when necessary. Guns are not the best idea as they will just attract more zombies from the noise. Cars are great for getting about but also carry threat from the noise, you can't be reckless with them either as they don't respawn when destroyed.

A steal at 1600msp!
  37. Jun 6, 2013
    Zombie-survival RPG? Check. Simulated open-world? Check. Unforgiving perma-death? Check. Seems like this title just took a look at what other zombie-survival games made wrong and turned it around to make it the best. I don't even see how Dead Rising or Day Z can compare itself fairly to State of Decay. It's just made so right, there's almost nothing to dislike about it.

The only thing
    in the way of a 10 is the lack of a co-op system. If I've understood right, it will come in time. Expand
  38. Jun 7, 2013
    This is the one of the first zombie survival games in a long time that feels compelling and gives you a real sense of urgency about your decisions. I've played top-down games, third-person games, and first-person games from different eras, and I have to say, I actually relish the time I spend in this dangerous 'State of Decay' world.

Taking a recently well-used theme like Zombie
    Apocalypse and adding fort building, driving w/ passengers, and a plethora of mission types really gives you plenty to do. I've already spent about 15 hours playing the game and haven't really started exploring the other two large towns yet, and to be honest, I'm no worse off for it.

The combat is a bit wonky in some places, but mostly it's satisfying hearing that skull-splattering sound of each 'zed' I kill, and as I learn more moves, I have much more fun with switching up the hand-to-hand combos. Shooting is fine with me; I don't really need it to be anything more than moderately accurate in aim and firepower per gun type, and the silencers are a nice touch.

The biggest point of interest in this game is the skill and facility upgrade systems. I've upgraded several of my survivors in many areas (cardio, fighting, wit, etc.) and it gives me a little more assurance that they'll be ok if they're trapped on a scavenge run or if I need to switch to a beefed-up survivor to go on a dangerous mission. Having the characters be subject to permanent death really ratchets up the urgency of saving or finding a lost or in-danger survivor. Also, being able to build facilities really gives me a reason to scavenge and stockpile resources; it's not just some mindless crapshoot looting run.

Overall this is a well-thought out game, and apparently they're already about to patch things up (according to the notes, they're fixing some well-known issues, which is always good with a first patch...SIMCITY). If they can fix framerate issues and weird pop-ins, then this has potential to be in the conversation for indie game of the year.
  39. Jun 10, 2013
    [Pros] -Driving over zombies is tons of fun -Every building is scavengable for items and resources -Perma-death (while painful, it adds a lot to the game) -Noise attracts zombies (stealth is important) -Rpg elements with characters -Upgradable home base -Special zombies that aren't too crazy but are more fun -Hours and hours of gameplay [Cons] -Graphics aren't impressive
    -Lower framerate at times
    -Some gameplay bugs here and there
    -Some missions repeat themselves after a while

After having played for 15+ hours, I have to say that I've gotten my moneys worth. I still haven't beaten the game, but still enjoying exploring and killing zombies. There are technical issues here and there, but they are releasing a patch that should fix some of them. Try it out and it'll suck you in!
  40. Jun 11, 2013
    I will get right into it I love the game I was a fan I am a fan and I waited for it to release same day I purchased. Simply put it's a downloadable game, I kind of don't like that,also the clipping, the screen tears, and the frame rate that the game runs in, Feels very outdated.(choppy choppy gameplay). You remember two world's 1 right!? Lol.. Okay the zombies are not zombies! Zombies are not track stars. And they should not be faster than the survivors, This was a terrible Decision to me. The edge with zombies is that there is a lot of them. They don't need to run so damn fast. You get bit by a zombie and you don't turn into a zombie. Very stupid! The zombies are way too hard to kill and it seems as if there are not enough resources, They completely ignored the fun factor! Sure it's an open world but who's going to run the risk of permanent death exploring that open world!? Please update and upgrade the game,.. there is so much more they could've done.. Why no vantage points? Why no safe areas? Why no weapon upgrades no armor? You should be able to completely fortify your home.. There should be more reasons to leave the home.. Lighting why can't you put down lanterns or burning torches? Why no online play? The control factor alone stinks!! I find myself constantly overshooting or under shooting When steering a vehicle. The games not all bad the novelty is still there and I have played every day since the release. Being able to completely rid an area of zombies should be possible. Set a house on fire and it doesn't catch on fire. Stupid AI at times. Zombies perception much to extreme. The upgrade menu, The general menu, Quite confusing.( Building upgrading) fort building Not learner friendly. Clippy gameplay. MY NUMBER ONE PROBLEM THAT I JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY DID THIS IS WEAPON RELOAD TIME!! Wth!!! I guess some of the good points are it's a new zombie game But it's nothing that we haven't played or done before..it's okay But I'm thinking at this point in time the frame rate at least Should be up-to-date!!!

XBOXKLR
  41. Jun 6, 2013
    I have no clue how this passed Microsoft certification but performance wise this game is horrible Constant frame-rate issues, stuttering, extreme slowdowns on level of detail pop-in and full-blown screen-tearing. All that on CryEngine 3 with average graphics 0_o I kinda expected a little bit more polished product especially when its a time exclusive title published by Microsoft itself and has a entry fee of $20, So if you are a PC person or really picky when it comes to that kinda stuff wait for PC port. Expand
  42. Jun 6, 2013
    A "perfect 10" might seem excessive for a game which is, admittedly, plagued by bugs of every stripe and color. But some rough edges do not detract--at least in any terminal way--from the fact that this is probably one of the most ambitious games we have seen on consoles in years. The combat, while not in the league of Dark Souls is solid, and the base-building and survival aspects all come together to create an experience that is taxing on the nerves, intellect, and reflexes in an absolutely delightful way. This is the closest you will ever want to get to a real zombie apocalypse. Expand
  43. Jun 6, 2013
    Fantastic game that really really surprised me! I was expecting a WarZ style of fail, but this game is alot of fun and well worth the money. The only issues I have with the game is the clipping of teammates and zombies and some FPS dips. Still, a few technical issues hasn't stopped me from having a blast with State Of Decay! With a bit more polish and a bit more funding we could have a Top notch sereis on our hands!

Go buy this ASAP, very fun!
  44. Sep 24, 2013
    ZERO mark should be awarded to a game full of bugs or glitches with poor graphics, and with a very punishing auto save feature with intention to destroy players' progress which will save your progress automatically when something bad happens. It also punishes the player when you haven't launched the game for a long time via gradually depleting your collected items in inventory.

A game
    which ruins player's enjoyment in game play only deserves a zero! Expand
  45. Jul 14, 2013
    I got the South African version of the game yesterday after a long wait and it's absolutely worthe every microsoft point in the price. One of the best zombie games yet, competing with the full retail likes of dead rising, dead island and left for dead! Love the game structure, and regular patches fixing all the major and finar flaws which caused bad review scores. Get this game NOW!
  46. Jun 11, 2013
    There's been a lot of complaints about this game having "game breaking" glitches and graphical problems. That's a load of bull. Yes there are a lot of glitches and graphical problems, but they are all minor compared to everything else. The game is fully playable and is extremely fun. Obviously there could have been more to the game; online capabilities, co-op, more strategic options to fortifying defenses, more items and control over them, being able to actually make your home base instead of choosing from the 6 (I think that's all) that are available, etc... But regardless of the minor setbacks it's still an amazing game. I am not a fan of the newer generation of "fast zombies", I feel that style to be very boring and unfitting to the whole concept of zombies. And needless to say there is just a never ending supply of fast zombies, but at least the constant threat of being overrun or alerting a zombie horde is present. While playing you will very rarely find yourself with no place that you need to be, but it won't last for long. The sidequests are constant and can sometimes be overwhelming if you're out gathering supplies. And a lot of people have a problem with the perma death if you die. The game's whole focus is survival and the difficulty of surviving during a zombie outbreak. Perma death fits perfectly with that concept. Expand
  47. Jun 9, 2013
    Extremely overrated, I jumped on the hype train, so to speak, wanting to experience a game that promised to be atmospheric open-world and unforgiving. Instead I got a buggy and unfair experience. First let me start off with the positives: 1. The atmosphere is great 2. Some character's are memorable 3. Open-world. 4. Survival element 5. The amount of activities 6. Non-linearity.

Elements that were...meh:
    1. Graphics are Ok at best.
    2. Dialogues are ok most of the time, but sometimes certain discussions arise that make absolutely no sense, for example one of the protagonists gets very defensive and emotional about a character they literally knew 5 minutes).

Aspects that absolutely sucked:
    1. Bugs and frame rate wouldn't mind it that much if not for: constant clipping through walls, zombies that can see through walls, texture load time after starting a new game (I got one of my best characters killed off just because zombies didn't load in properly).
    2. Brainless combat system mash the x button until something dies.
    3. Super zombies are BS I must have had the worst or something because I literally stumbled upon them every 8 minutes. You will probably break any weapon you carry due to the amount of hp the zombie has. They jump out from absolutely nowhere and take out half of your HP if they pummel you to the ground.
    4. I will endorse perma-death ONLY if its as a consequence of the player's mistakes. I lost my first character, because the zombies that were hitting me didn't load in properly. I lost my second character, because the camera got stuck behind some bushes, while I was swatting aimlessly at zombies that attacked me from behind. I lost my third character, because the idiotic AI decided to block an entrance to a house, resulting in me getting ganked by 10 zombies.

The aforementioned negatives completely destroyed my gaming experience. Its not a terrible game, so if you are willing to look past some of it's glaring drawbacks, you should definitely at least check out the trial version.
  48. Jun 15, 2013
    Jogo não tem uma parte técnica muito apurada, movimentação estranha, falta carisma aos personagens, graficos medianos, muitos bugs e partes mal feitas.... Proposta até bacana mas muito mal executada.
  49. Sep 12, 2013
    State of Decay is at best a good idea gone wrong, half-baked and ultimately unsatisfying.

There are obvious negatives to state straight away; the engine, the less than ample frame rate, screen tearing, general gameplay irks that feel unresponsive, however, many seem to think these problems are excusable due to the small production team. Okay, that's fine, We'll let them go. But for
    clarity's sake, they're still there.

The main problem here is not so much the game fails to do anything right, more than it fails to live up to what felt like such a promising idea; that of an 'open world zombie survival game. '

Let's take every word present there 'Open World' Well, the map is hardly small, but it's not exactly on par with its contemporaries. And while the towns are padded with buildings, there's very little else of interest to see, let alone interact with. The three towns are padded out with a central countryside linking them, most of it dense and forgettable. For an open world to feel as such, you need to be able to look around and feel a part of something that's currently living and breathing, yet all you see in SoD is obligatory buildings that need to be raided, and the odd, glitchy horde of undead that can either be run over or avoided.

'Zombie Survival There's no denying that the first 5 hours of the game can lull you into enjoying this aspect of the game. If you don't know what you're doing, and go out at night, desperately seeking supplies, surviving the undead seems fierce and tense. But once you learn the mechanics, the game soon turns into trivial combat, much like Dead Rising, with the added irk of being clunky and unrewarding. The game's micro managing aspects of the zombie survival are perhaps the most interesting inclusion, or, they would be, if the core game outside was anywhere near rewarding. This is frustrating, because there are genuine moments where the game hits a chord, usually when you're back at base, and feeling the fight getting to your group. Having to decide which of your survivors to go after when they get lost, deciding who should rest and who should fight.

Unfortunately, the game just doesn't glue it all together. The combat mechanics are woeful, as is the 'RPG' characterization. Whilst I praise the base micromanaging, some of the game's mechanics in this area are mindboggling at best, especially as the game 'plays' while you're offline. You nearly always come back to a low morale and low medicine cabinet, making your efforts beforehand a little pointless, and your return slightly bitter.

On top of all this, the game's in game tutorials and explanations are almost comical.

In conclusion, Undead Labs started out with a novel idea, but just couldn't commit to realizing it. Instead they filled the shell with arcadey gameplay and half assed attempts to push the survival aspect.

While I would never plug DayZ because it's an awful, buggy mess, SoD clearly misses the edge DayZ had when it came to survival simulation. The game just doesn't immerse you enough.
  50. Sep 10, 2013
    A slightly fresh twist on the tired genre that is the typical zombie game, played out in a third person view with elements of survival horror/action/rts. gameplay mechics similar to rts games, with building, scavenging, barricading and defending your hideout etc. the game is set in a sort of national park forest of some kind, and does feature slightly good graphics at times, but in the first 2 hours of this poorly built game, Ive experienced more graphical glitches and bugs than in any other game, ever. I know it's pretty typical of a video game not to be perfect in terms of graphical integrity, but this game is far too poorly executed, there are many major glitches with your characters getting stuck within the game, accessing storage item outside of buildings, people attacking you through doors, so on and so forth. the animations are very goofy and poorly done, the storyline is quite scarce not much to say there really. The controls are awful and the combat is clunky especially in certain interiors, your characters early on in the game are far too combat happy, and just sometimes when you are sneaking up on a enemy they jump the gun and attack in the open. the journal is which you access most of your options, information, status etc, is again poorly done, reminds of the journal in oblivion, not physically just in essence. the game is inconsistent as well, for example I don't have enough influence to recruit people manually, so i am forced to do it solo, and the same storage container i accessed previous in a last file, no longer holds a pistol anymore, but has a ample amount of ammo, then i have 5-6 zombies attacking on the way to my mission, i run out of stamina too easily early on in the game and it a game of take turns to attack me from behind as a stumble away. there are frequent occasions of some entire parts of areas dissappearing undergroud as well, it a true immersion breaker. The combat is very clunky and awkward to boot. the storyline is your typical survive the post-apocalyptic zombie outbreak. The game boasts nothing innovative, fun and engaging. I just no i'll stay clear away from the developers that brought you this broken 2x4, bent steelpipe, glass shard in your foot sort of a game. Expand
  51. Aug 21, 2013
    I can't say that any of the features of this game are better or more intense or the next big thing the game is just basically AN AMAZING FREAKING ZOMBIE GAME. And it's open world. So you just can't go wrong.
  52. Jun 7, 2013
    Very impressed by this game. It has some "jank" but it makes up for that in spades with an engaging world, fun gameplay, and creative ideas. The mortality concept keeps me on the edge of my seat and makes the game actually scary at times. This is the zombie game I've been waiting for all these years. I cannot wait to see what these guys do next.
  53. Jun 18, 2013
    Best twenty dollar game ever. Finally a zombie game that's more about survival then talking to people. Very good rpg elements and home base strategy. It has broke arcade download records. Ten million since release is amazing.
  54. Jun 5, 2013
    Very cool game, unique. Between fetching supplies and trying to keep everybody alive I'm loving it. Some flaws like screen tearing. Somehow the quests don't feel repetitive.

Best arcade game since Scott Pilgrim for me.
  55. Jun 7, 2013
    This game is solid, not amazing, but solid. I played it all day today, and I'm sure I'll play more.

It's kind of like GTA crossed with Fallout but the goal is to survive. After a tutorial area, you end up apart of a small group of survivors. Gameplay consists of scavenging (food, medicine, weapons/ammo, building materials, ect...), meeting other survivors and befriending them, or making
    enemies. The games currency is influence, you gain it by being useful, and thus are allowed to spend it by taking things from peoples stashes. You can also eventually spend it to make big decisions on the future of the group.

It's a fun open world with a lot to explore and many characters to meet. You can drive any car that still works, and take over any building, as long as you've searched the whole thing and cleared it of zombies.

There is more to the game, like a lot of cool RPG style leveling systems. I encourage anyone to try it.

The graphics are OK, and it could use more polish overall, but the concept is great and it's definitely playable.
  56. Jun 6, 2013
    So I was really excited for this game, and it really didn't disapoint. I give this game a 8 because of the outstanding idea. The gameplay, story, and things you can do would be 10/10. Even the graphics are not too bad considering it's a live game. The main problem I have with State of Decay is the bugs. Seriously... the bugs RUIN this game from being near perfect. Hopefully they will eventually fix it, because it could easily be the best arcade game of the year. Expand
  57. Jun 7, 2013
    What a lovely surprise this game is. Ok, the graphics and the story are not so lovely, but everything else is.
    With a huge map and a fun gameplay mixing stealth, exploration, combat and survival this game definitely got my attention... and it is just 20 dollars. State of Decay has more content and is more authentic than many triple A games. Its not just another zombie game that is for
    sure. Buy it! Expand
  58. Jun 8, 2013
    I really had high hopes for this game, and I love that it is really freaking hard becaus that is what survival is all about! survive! The enviroment are neat and it feels like you just poped out of a dream into a nightmare
  59. Jun 8, 2013
    Proof that a good game doesnt need to be headed by a multibillion dollar company. Yes, I'm giving this game a 9. To sum it up this game is basically DayZs little brother mixed with a little GTA and AC. The primary focus is to maintain your base of survivors and scavenge towns for supplies. There is a mixture of melee and ranged combat with the standard "zombies rules" (headshots kill, guns/cars/breaking windows/making noise searching through supplies make noise that attracts zombies). This game provides a real sense of survival that zombie games as of late have been lacking. Sure, it has its bugs. So did Skyrim. And I have yet to come across a bug that has hindered my gameplay experience of a $20 downloadable title. Also, a patch has already been in the works to fix most of the major issues. Someone did something right with State of Decay, because its the fastest selling DLC on XBLA and the 2nd selling game behind Minecraft. Try it, its great Expand
  60. Jun 22, 2013
    First of I'd like to say this is what a Walking Dead game SHOULD have been! Like a previous reviewer said this is the best sandbox zombie game I've ever played. Its a big like Dead Rising but minus the stupid timer and comedy. I'll tell you right now though it certainly isn't the prettiest game ever made but the depth of the game is insane. Its not just a game filled with boring fetch quests, there is so much you can do even little things like barricading a window with a hammer, board and nails made me smile because stuff like this is so often over looked. You can play as different characters who all have specific skills and you always have to be on guard when a character dies they are dead for good. It really makes your choices impactful. If you have character X all buffed up with killer stats and you get over run by a horde and that character dies it can reallly effect your game. Some might think this is unfair or what not but I feel it makes the game all that more realistic. For being an XBLA game you are getting more content then most triple A $60 games out there these days.. No 4 hour snooze fest like Metal Gear Rising or Halo 4's short campaign. For the price of the game it is seriously worth its weight in GOLD. The game isn't perfect though as it has some minor clipping issues and the voice acting (ie how their mouths move when speaking) isn't the greatest but that aside I would recommend this game to ANYONE who even has a remote interest in zombies. Its refreshing to finally play a DECENT zombie survival title. In closing the last thing I can tell you is if you buy this DO NOT use your credit card information over XBL. I've had my identity stolen 3 times now because of this. Expand
  61. Jun 8, 2013
    If you're one of the unfortunate gamers who won't have a PS3 in time to play The Last of Us in the coming weeks, this is a more than adequate (albeit entirely different) substitute. Many reviews state that this game is the best deal in the history of XBLA, and I concur. For $20 you get a game that mixes the joys of open world exploration in a post-apocalyptic city with the strategy of an RPG and the over-whelming terror of zombies.

Every structure you find in the game is explorable and often contains supplies you'll need to survive the zombie apocalypse. Combat is simple, but fun. Items break down over time forcing you to decide whether to fight or run for your life.

In fact, my only gripe with this game is that the game penalizes you for not playing all the time. By that I mean, every 24 hours your resources that you've gathered will slowly be depleted and the morale of your stronghold will drop as well. Basically, if you put this game down for a stretch of time, you essentially lose progress. It's a rather frustrating mechanic that makes me wonder if this is what the future holds for Xbox One... but that's a controversial topic for another time and place.

For now, suffice it to say that it's shortcomings (of which there are a few) are easily over-looked with it's $20 price tag and hours of zombie-killing fun.
  62. Jun 21, 2013
    This game is defiantly not on a big budget as the animations are rather bad and some of the voice acting is awful but the game is self is a hell of alot of fun. The idea of the game is great and it really is the best open world zombie game out at the moment. The game can get a little repetitive tho and that lets it down quite alot but I assure you that the group management system and searching the map will give you a few hours of fun and the developers seem like great people who are only going to add more to game and keep improving it. The driving in this game is really quite bad as I found my car just wanted to flip over at every given chance and my characters would be flung all over the place in a rather buggy rolling animation. The melee combat is really simple, it is pretty much a buttons masher so it gets boring very quickly.

Overall the game is great but it's a little buggy and the animation/voice acting is not great plus the melee combat gets very repetitive. I would say that you should only buy this if you are a big zombie fan.
  63. Jun 10, 2013
    Saw it on Xbox Arcade and downloaded the trial version. After playing for about 30 min I began to understand the vastness of the environment, possibilities, gameplay-elements and decided to buy it. I can't stop playing, there is always something else to do, someone to save, supplies to be gathered etc, this may sound like its repetitive, but you get in a lot of unique unpredictable situations. Besides, I hate repetition in games since I get bored easily.
    On the technical side it's not triple A, but this game has something you rarely see in todays 'micro-wave-meal-esque' triple A titles:
    - Complex game-mechanics with tons of possibilities which you have to figure out yourself step by step;
    - Unpredictable situations or turn of events that suddenlu cab cost you your life (or your fellow survivors);
    - Decisions you have to make of which you are not sure how they turn out, making you plan every move.
    If you weigh all options, plan right, build your base correct and make sure your stockpile is high then the game isn't unforgivingly hard, however, there is no trial and error: dead is dead. It is in perfect balance though.
    The sheer possibilities and complex mechanism behind it make me easily forget about the mediocre technical side. This is a sleeper hit and could be GOTY for me. Never heard of Undead Labs before, but they certainly got my attention.
  64. Jun 17, 2013
    Best zombie survival game ever! I love the combination of resource-management, building your base and go for raids! The game has a very immersive atmosphere and you will never know what comes next. So be prepared
  65. Jun 8, 2013
    I have been playing Dayz and such for a long time and it's gotten really boring. This game had revived the Zombie franchise for me. I like this game because of it's realism for example if a survivor dies they die for good etc...

All in all this game is an very good open world Zombie survival game with amazing and beautiful graphics for an Xbox. It has very few bugs only one I found so
    far was a zombie merging through a tent. P.S. I can't wait for this to come to PC :D Expand
  66. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is way more funner than it should be. It feels buggy, the melee combat is basic and the world is quite uninteresting at times. BUT it just goes to show, the game doesn't need to be perfect to be fun! in-fact, I think if the melee system and gun play was more in-depth, it would be more boring. Most games today try to go way into gun play and other mechanics which makes it no longer fun. If you remember classic games all it would be is click and shoot, and it was fun! because its basic and feels old school. This game feels like it has had so much effort put into it, especially for an Xbox arcade game, I really wouldn't be surprised if it got a retail release due to success! it really does the zombie genre proud! Expand
  67. Jun 7, 2013
    State of Decay is one of the most original, realistic, and entertaining zombie games I have ever played. The player has to take care of his/her community and deal with threats like starvation and disease in the ever-changing world around them. The one problem with this fantastic game is that it is glitchy. Zombies phase through walls and cars get stuck in fences and phases down the experience. Still state of decay is an amazing game and for only 1600 Microsoft points its a must buy for zombie, and survival horror fans. Expand
  68. Jun 9, 2013
    This Game. This game has truly changed my outlook on what can be achieved by a developer with creative freedom and a publisher that is willing to take a leap of faith. While State of Decay most definitely has some technical issues, I have not come across any that have hindered my enjoyment of this experience. After the game's thankfully short-but-sweet linear set-up, It is up to you to keep yourself and your established base-camp and survivors alive and in good mental health. You'll scavenge for supplies and consumables. You'll share your findings with your group. The rarity and impact of the resources you find and share increase your "Influence", which is the games currency.

The missions you complete improve your camp's morale. If morale is too low, other survivors will leave your camp, commit suicide, or steal supplies.

There is so much more to this game than what I've explained above, but I'll leave the rest up to you to find out.

"State of Decay" is easily worth every Microsoft Point you will spend on this game, and at a $20 tag, that is a damn-near unbeatable value.
  69. Jun 26, 2013
    Truly an amazing game. Combining all of the best elements of other zombie games, this is one of the best games I have played this year. I would have no problem paying $60 for this game, and for only $20, this has to be one of the best deals on the Xbox Live Marketplace.
  70. Jun 27, 2013
    State of decay sounded like an amazing game. It had everything I had ever wanted in a zombie horror game. The sheer survival of you group, you had the task of keeping your group safe, fed and supplied. But the execution of it was not the best. The frame rate is shockingly bad, shockingly. The gameplay itself is pretty good, the zombies are terrifying, although after playing it the 3rd time around I gradually lost the fright of the zombies and the hoards, it seemed a simple job after a while, just get in a car and run them over.

Undead labs must think we are pretty stupid. Don't get me wrong I really like the game, but my first play through I had a survivor called Raul. During my second play through I had another survivor which I thought was Raul, but turned out to be a man named Sawyer. I mean come on! He had the same face and voice. It's just lazy and takes away the experience a lot. And the fact that there's really only 5 safe houses you can have including the church.

The story... The story. Well it's s*it! There was no need for a story in this game, it should of been just about survival, there was no need for it. And the ending?... Jesus.

But overall, the game is great and is probably the best zombie game out now, where you have full control over everything.
  71. Jul 12, 2013
    The ultimate zombie apocalypse experience. It has everything you want in a zombie survival game scavenging, finding survivors, resource management, open-world, driving, and of course zombie killing. The combat is deep, the RPG system is solid, the stealth system adds a good mix the game is more about simulation than for story (Not a bad story, just you can clearly tell the developers intended this to be about the experience and not the story) but this game gets a 9 instead of a 10 because it is one of the buggiest games I've ever played. (Though it gets a 10 on the fun factor) Most importantly, this is ONLY an Arcade game and not a full retail game. Honestly, I would have dished out a full 60 for this game (especially with so many poor quality 60 dollars games that's been coming out as of late) Expand
  72. Jul 20, 2013
    State of decay is a fun game do not get me wrong, but as a person that has watched someone play this game and not getting into the experience it just feels rushed, i do not know if they have patched it yet as i have not played this game in some time.
  73. Sep 5, 2013
    First I really feel the need to respond to some other reviewers. This is an Arcade game. Not a big budget mainstream game.

Now on with the review. The game is a very good zombie survival game which brings in some ideas that rarely are explored in other zombie titles for example a playthrough only has a finite number of survivors and supplies. When these are gone they're gone. This is a
    clever way to force the player in the direction the developers wanted you to go without explicitely ordering the player too.
    The fighting is really a hit and miss with melee combat falling into button bashing. Gunplay is fun with a very large selection of firearms that could rival Battlefield or Call of Duty however there's no insentive to use a firearm. With zombies only dying to headshots and the larger, more exciting guns creating more noise I personally only found myself carrying a Handgun in case it was ever needed above all else.
    The world, or countryside in more correct terms, is not the giant sandbox players familiar with DayZ are used to but for this game it works. You have one major towns with smaller villages around. I cannot deny that the game could have done with a larger map possibly including a city but as I mentioned in the beginning this is an arcade game afterall so we shouldn't press too much into this detail.

The story is the biggest fault. To be blunt there is no real story and there is no introduction either. The player is thrust right into the game and a zombie fight and then arrives late the the zombie party in town which although justified ingame, in my opinion wasted a good chance for a tension building introduction that we saw in games like Dead Island.
    The other issue is the bad framerates. They may or may not have been resolved now but in my playthrough the framerate drops were offputting especially if you were in life or death moments.
  74. Sep 21, 2013
    State of Decay is a very ambitious game.

However, it's not that good. It's very buggy, repetitive and after the first two hours or so, not so fun. Where's the fun in breaking in a gun store, evading 15 zombies on your way if your abilities remain virtually the same?

The concept is amazing. The implementation, not so much. In time, it will get better and polished but for now, it's
    more a tech demo of what a open world zombie survival game should look like and not a finished product. Expand
  75. Nov 9, 2013
    0/10. VERY hard. No fan. Only pain.
    . Only pain.Only pain.Only pain.Only pain.Only pain.Only pain.Only pain.Only pain.Only pain.Only pain.Only pain.Only pain.
  76. Nov 6, 2013
    Great arcade game. This game has a lot of potential, just needs to be polished and some multiplayer features. I also wouldn't mind the DLC to make the world bigger.
  77. Nov 19, 2013
    As close as you can get to an open world zombie game. Talks of a mmo state of decay are on the wind! One can only hope! This game is everything you could want in a zombie game. I have quite literally waited years for someone to make a game like this where scavenging is key in a wide open gaming space with no loading screens to pull you out of the immersion!

There is a bright future for
    both this game and the developers! Expand
  78. Jun 24, 2013
    There is in the game and the world of beautiful things open or open map
    And but their fault unity it is not present on all devices!
    But the price of the Xbox Live good!
    Game needs serious part of the best and the best in the movement of the characters and beatings!
    The need to modify the beam some thing and modify the nature of fees for the better!
  79. Jul 1, 2013
    I've been waiting for an open-world zombie game ever since Activision canceled "Dead Rush" at the beginning of this PS3/360 console generation. This is the game I'd hoped to get.

"State of Decay" does just about everything right. Instead of relying on cinematics to tell the story and impress the player with a sense of drama and urgency, the gameplay itself manages to keep the player
    engaged and immersed in the world Undead Labs has created. Scavenging, sneaking, and fighting, players must try and keep their ever-depleting stock of supplies from dwindling to nothing.

Most notably, rather than playing a single character, players much change between various members of their community due to fatigue or death, which allows playing different ways with different characters, due to each one's specific abilities.

This game would be a perfect 10 for me, but it has some jarring camera problems, frequent framerate chugging, and a number of bugs which made it difficult to keep my base going. However, it's not enough to dock a point for it, and this is the best XBLA title I've ever played.
  80. Aug 2, 2013
    This game is great. Way too many games nowadays trade million dollar art budgets for actual game depth and complexity. This game is a step in the right direction. The mechanics are relatively fun and addictive, although not really perfect. You get a host of characters who can all grow and get a random selection of several different skills to level up. There is a selection of enemies and hordes but only a couple are really dangerous. There is a large selection of weapons, but many are similar to one another and there aren't really weapons with bonuses or anything. Some downsides of the game: The theme is decay and eventual loss of all resources, but there are idiosyncratic ways to draw out resources like double harvesting caches (scav call then self scav) and not searching the last object in a house (causes house to revert to completely unsearched after a while). The enemies and quests can get redundant (especially the community member morale quests) and the enemies who are dangerous are just obnoxiously so, as in once you get hit you can easily get chain hit to death with little recourse. So fighting mechanics exist but are not especially complex, and gun/bomb use is not that complex or interesting either. So mostly it is a strategy game. Expand
  81. Jun 7, 2013
    State of Decay provides an awesome zombie survival experience that almost any player can enjoy. First off, before providing all of the great reasons I love this game, I am going to note the few cons that made me give this game a 9. The biggest con is lack of a fast travel system. I know the game focuses on providing a sense of reality during a zombie apocalypse, but at least being able to travel to your home while you aren't under siege might be nice. Another is no multiplayer, no explanation needed.

This game brings so many aspects of zombie survival into it I can't mention them all. Scavenging is a must carrying rucksacks while avoiding zeds is definitely a memorable experience. The weapon system is nice and the skills to boost your character are helpful.

While many may believe the perma-death ruins the game, I believe it heightens your sense of security so you don't sprint into a horde just to spawn at Home quicker. You are more aware, alert with this system and play stealthily, swiftly, and safely.

Overall, this game is worth your 20 dollars. It could easily be a stand alone game and still get an easy 8 from me. I look forward to more from UndeadLabs, and more updates to SoD.
  82. Jun 16, 2013
    This is an excellent game. It has several technical issues with frame rate etc. but they don't interfere with the gameplay. The amount of content and depth makes buying this for 20$ a no brainer.
  83. Jun 10, 2013
    It is very good and fun game. But maybe not for everyone, because it does some thing differently than other games. I found it good and interesting. Some may not like these innovations. For example the world is living in the real time. So if you turn off the game and come back later the stuff will happen meanwhile (buildings will be finished, research will progress, resources will be used, cars will be fixed if you have a workshop, most of the NPC will rest, new missions will be available, etc. Some feel like the game is punishing you for not playing. But I like the idea of a word that lives with or without me).
    It is also using the permadeath design kind of like a Ironman mode in the Xcom. You have a whole community of survivors, you can get a new members. You can switch between them. So if the character dies, it is not a game over, but you loose him permanently. And must switch to different character. because the characters get tired off and injured, you must switch from time to time even if they dont die.
    This element is not so punishing as in the Xcom. It is not so easy to loose completelly so dont be worry. Imho it really ads to the survival element of the game.
    Then there is a base building, so you must gather resources and outposts to keep your home area safe.
    And lastly there is actually not just a random generated content (missions with rescue, etc) but lots of unique missions and event, that happens only once and keep you encountering new stuff for many many hours.
    Also the random missions are time sensitive. So if someone is in trouble and you dont save him, he may die (or not but it is a risk) so often you must decide what to do and what to risk. It is little bit like the Dead Rising, but so punishing.

The only problem is obvious low budget, so the game is not as polished as AAA titles there are framedrops, zombies with half of the body in the walls or floor, or NPC behaving in strange way (running away over half of the map for no reason, etc). And some strange bugs (I was able to fix all by reloading the game) But the patch is coming so this should not be a issue for a long time.
  84. Jun 16, 2013
    State of Decay is an open world 3rd person action adventure that takes place in a zombie apocalyptic world. For me this was a very surprising and enjoyable success. I enjoyed the game play the most. Being able to adventure the open world map with little limitations is what I loved. You can venture on foot or jump into an available vehicle to drive. The night and day element and the variety of different types of zombies help set the mood. There's a lot more to get excited about here. The developers added some RPG elements in game too. Being able the upgrade your home base (and can move it) and also acquire outposts around the map. Searching for supplies throughout the world is also important to being able to upgrade you things. Also, you can save and invite into your group other survivors as well which will benefit you as you can send these NPC's on runs for supplies while you take care of other business. Also, to mention that helping other groups can help yourself by adding helpful tools like calling for backup from military support or having a vehicle dropped of at your location. It's also important to mention some of the cool game play features the developer has added like opening vehicle door while driving to take down wondering zombie hordes or smashing through glass windows of houses to make your getaway from attacking zombies. For once I enjoyed all the melee fighting as I found myself using a bat over a gun most of the time. Story is nothing to get excited about but if its game play you love the most with little restrictions than State Of Decay is your game. There are some technical issues like frame rate issues and other character collision issues but as we speak the developer is committed saying they are always improving the game (first patch has already been released). Not sure if they will be able to fix everything but with that aside I still recommend buying this for the price. Expand
  85. Jun 19, 2013
    "State of Decay" is certainly worthy of being green, but it's not quite an 8 or 9. My only large gripe is that as the developers tried to blend single-person zombie survival-action with fortress-building and group-management/rpg elements, instead of coming off as a multi-faceted, unified personality, the game seems to often suffer from a split personality disorder and identity crisis. This is a shame as a game more focused on one core mechanic with the others merely feeding it might have made the game 8- or 9-worthy. It's still well worth the purchase. Expand
  86. Jun 21, 2013
    First off, State of Decay has problems. There are numerous clipping issues, graphical problems, mechanical issues, etc (some of which has been fixed in the patch). Many people are claiming the game is "hard", I would say State of Decay has a high learning curve. There are so many things the player needs to balance, such as: supplies for the home and character, leveling up characters, morale, missions, and other details. State of Decay is challenging in a fun, but occasionally frustrating way. S.O.D. is a open world survival game that has zombies in it that requires the gamer to do more then then shoot and smash zombies. S.O.D. is a downloadable title and has a lot of value in the price tag, while the main storyline is a bit short, the game in its entirety is quite long. Expand
  87. Aug 20, 2013
    State of art for "Zombie Survival" game genre. I was looking for a game such as State of Decay from the creation of DayZ mod for Arma II.
    It's like a GTA game but with zombie, resource management, companions and base building. The only under tone thing is the story, a bit cheap and not very deep... but it's ok for a game such great, at the cost of only1600 MP.
    One of my favorite game of
    all time.

Thanks Undead Labs

Edit: reduced score to 8/10 for the last campaign mission and the ending... very useless bad ending. I hope better. The game is good but the last 2-3 missions and the ending are something terrible.
  88. Jun 14, 2013
    This game deserves the rating I am giving it because, 1. It's fairly cheap and 2. it's different. The zombie genre has seem to become stale and predictable over the last 10 years and the most recent addition 'Dead Island' while fun, was not as good as hyped up to be. What sets this game apart from the others is choice. What do I mean by choice, do you mean what weapons will you use and equipment? Yes, but I'm also alluding to the element of real survival. The game play in this small arcade title is one of the most unique I have seen in the zombie franchise. You have to build a fortress, and keep it secure. You have to collect food, medical supplies and ammo for your 'community' to survive; and that's just topping the iceberg. With this game you can literally go in any house and scavenge or find something random.

For example I was in town on a supply run for the base when I came across a house and I heard gun shots inside. Two of my other survivors who I had saved were also on a supply run but were getting trapped. When I entered the house they were dead. Now if I had gone back before and saved them they would of trusted me more and I would gain more influence around the base camp.
    So as you can see.. this is just one small example of the choices and decisions you have to make in this zombie 'survival' game.
  89. Jun 30, 2013
    Another zombie game? Really? Yep. This one, from aptly-named dev Undead Labs, promised to be a different kind of zombie game. Yeah, it's going to be chock full of everybody's favorite brain-obsessed creepies, but lots of games have that. Case in point, the perennial winner of zombie memories, Left 4 Dead. So is this Microsoft Arcade-only (and pricey to boot) release anything special? Is it worth 1700 Microsoft points? Yes and yes. Let's look at State of Decay, the new breed of zombie apocalypse. First of all, this is not like the vast majority of zombie games: it is an open world, you-get-one-shot, game that requires you to, brace yourselves here, think about what you're doing. You cannot blunder into situations and expect to reliably get out of it. Everything you do, just like in reality, makes noise. Noise attracts zombies. So you need to plan ahead, recon your intended area of operations, and keep your eyes open for uninvited guests. The world is varied, well-made, and the entire thing is part of your game. It's not a lot of set dressing buildings like in Fallout 3: every building can be entered, every building can be searched. You are in a constant need, and thus constant search for supplies of varying descriptions. From weapons and ammo to building and medical supplies, food, and a whole host of inventory items, you need it all to survive and thrive. Every building has the potential to house something valuable, and most buildings contain several searchable containers. (This feeds back into the previous gameplay mechanic genius: you can search slowly and methodically, which takes time, or search quickly, which makes an incredible racket and draws zombies.) The entire map, which is huge, is built for you to explore. The AI is plenty clever, with a very good predator/prey algorithm implementation; zombies are both solo and pack hunters, and react predictably to given simuli. The AI is also smart enough to be stupid, a mark of the well-built AI: it will fall for decoys and tricks, not see through them and cheat because the game knows everything (hey, Need for Speed...lookin' at you). Missions are randomly created and, although a little limited in the number of types, still keeps the game from getting stale. Combat is neither overly complex nor too simplified, and breaks down into melee and firearm, with melee divided into weight classes and weapon types. And, much like Ubisoft's I Am Alive, you must concern yourself with not only health but stamina; overexert yourself and you may find yourself completely winded, surrounded by zombies, unable to fight or flee. But best of all, it's up to you to fortify and improve your base of operations, decide when and where to move, and set up safe houses. You're not stuck with what the game gives you; it's up to you to choose everything. You're given a menu of options for things to build at your base, all of which require a given amount of various supplies. As long as you can cover the cost, you can have what you want, but it's up to you to choose, and choose wisely. Moreso than any game in easy memory, State of Decay puts you in a world that's unbelievably open and gives you so much freedom that if you can see it, you can get there. With all this glowing praise, are there downsides? Yes, there are. Most seriously, the game's interface is somewhat unpolished. It's based on the common journal-as-user-interface frame (with a pleasant Tropico 4 graphical motif), but the player's understanding of the tools and options is left more to trial and error than anything else. Instructions are available, to a degree, but are not very complete and cannot be recalled at will; miss it the first time, and it's gone. On the heels of that is a lack in firearms controls; aiming is arduous, without any sort of aim assist, and against rapidly bobbing and weaving zombies, lining up a shot is downright frustrating. Controls are fixed, so you cannot customize your controller. Vehicle physics are a little too floaty, and the vehicles themselves are severely lacking in durability (probably to avoid balancing problems). You'll receive warnings that fellow survivors may be in trouble, but no solid indication of where they are, leaving you feeling a little helpless from time to time. You cannot recruit other survivors as backup, which means you're usually on solo. This wouldn't be so bad, except that any time any character dies, that's it; it's character permadeath every time. This is a pain as you can spend hours tuning up your "primary" character only to have him chewed up and lost because of bad luck or some unfortunate timing. (Some gamers may enjoy this, as it does add a major sense of urgency!) Some have complained about graphics quality, but it's really not bad at all. So, all told, State of Decay is an excellent game with a few teething troubles. Despite its high cost on XBLA marketplace, it's well worth it for would be World War Z'ers. A solid 8 to State of Decay. Go and enjoy. Expand
  90. Jun 13, 2013
    If anything sums this game up in one sentence it's this: This is a much more difficult GTA clone with zombies in it. You'll spend an enormous amount of time going through everything there is to go through in this game but don't get too side-tracked and expect to take on more than a few zombies at a time. This game is very unforgiving and one wrong move can lead to your character getting killed pretty easily. This is not a bad thing but while other sandbox games encourage exploration of the world, this game is almost the opposite. It wants you to only go out of your home for the bare essentials and come back, basically trying to make it a realistic zombie apocalypse simulator. Two things keep this game from being elite and that are the graphics and the numerous glitches and bugs. First off, the graphics in this game are horrible. PS2 quality graphics at best, and even that's being fairly generous. The bugs on the other hand actually can be game breaking, especially when zombies can morph through walls to eat you. The collision detection in this game is horrendous. Sometimes you'll hit a zombie with your melee weapon and it won't register and others it will while watching the zombies get stuck on every fence they come to can get a little boring after awhile. It feels like the game needed a few extra months of bug testing before they put it out to the mass market. All that aside, this is one of the best games on the 360 right now and, for 20 bucks, you can't go wrong here. The main factor is the sheer amount of gameplay that is involved with this game. You can play this game for days and not even scratch the surface of everything going on with it. The bugs will need to be dealt with in a patch in the future as there are far too many of them in the game as it stands now. But it's not enough of an issue to keep me from recommending it to anyone with a 360. Expand
  91. Apr 15, 2014
    This game is amazing, original and much better than last of us, because you have more freedom in it. Is worth it to get an xbox just to play this piece of art
  92. Jun 30, 2013
    Great game. I'd go so far as to say best zombie game out there. If The Walking Dead franchise is going to have a game they need to take a leaf out of State of Decay's book. Make that TONS of leaves.

Bug-wise, I've only experienced a few very minor ones after hours of play; collision detection is a little wonky sometimes and companions have a nasty habit of blocking doors (and they don't
    often move when pushed). Aside for those it's been pretty flawless so far and not a single game breaking bug experienced by me. I HIGHLY recommend this game for any zombie/Walking Dead fan. Expand
  93. Nov 12, 2013
    Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version. My mistake sry guys. Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version. Expand
  94. Jun 14, 2013
    This is probably one of my favorite Xbox Arcade games in a while... It has a few hiccups and it does take away from the experience here and there, but not enough to bore you. There are a few screen tears and ugly texture pop ins, and some of the environments are just blah. But other than that combat is surprisingly fun and much like Dead Island's combat. I love that you can get overwhelmed by just a few zombies it really adds an increased fear of death and losing all the loot you just picked up in a house nearby. I also found myself caring about the characters, not like I did in Telltales The Walking Dead, I felt if I lost one I would struggle to scavenge and to not have a buddy help me kill zombies onslaughts. This game packs so much content in for an Arcade game it could probably be sold on a disc for $20-30. It's something new and different, a fresh take on zombies. The story could be better, but its a zombie game and I didn't expect that much from the plot in the first place. The bottom line, get it and I am sure you will enjoy it for a while. Expand
  95. Aug 29, 2013
    State of Decay is one of the most ambitious games of 2013 and one of the most flawed. For every thing it does right it, its brought down by being poorly made. The stealth mechanics and home building are fantastic but the combat is poor and the amount of damage done seems random. The missions are entertaining but tedious. The world is large and filled with things to do, but their are glitches everywhere. Its worth playing, just don't have your expectations to high. Expand
  96. Sep 30, 2013
    The only thing about this game i do not like is that it has only about 20 Hours of Content. Yes, its a sandbox and you can play it as long as you want. But when the story is mostly over the game and the radio-chatter gets very, very silent.

I really don't understand this. The missions are very simple, with a few lines of spoken text and ingame graphics. Why are there not more of this
    missions or even random missions to stretch it a little bit?

Its a design flaw to limit such a potentially everlasting gameplay experience just because there are not enough random mission types to bring some diversity into the game :(

A construction set would be a blast.

However... since the game was pure fun for 20 hours and only costs 20€ i give this game anyway a 10. I just want more of it. :D
  97. Aug 20, 2013
    There are too many zombie games and movies, but this is the best survival-zombie game I've played. It is too small and short, and I would have like to see more aggressive zombies in terms of mounting assaults on my base. Hopeful the devs make another, and if they do, I would like more model diversity, especially with the more advanced zombie types. Overall this is well worth the asking price, if you like the idea of a small-scope, GTA-like survival game. Expand
  98. Oct 10, 2013
    Anyone who complains about this game not being good because it is too punishing should get their head checked. Permadeath and real time continuation (even with game off) makes for a tense gameplay indeed. Usually in such games, you can leave a mission forever, in SoD, there is a reasonable timeframe (there needs to be or you wouldn't be able to stop playing it or everyone would die). If you do leave a mission too long, thinking main quest lines will always be there, do not be fooled.
    The best feature of SoD is the societal mechanics and group formation of your survival pack. You can establish outposts, set up traps in them, scavange supplies. If you're weighed down you can call in a runner, who runs across the map in real time to search and take all the supplies there. Certain characters respond better to others in different quests, and each are affected by fatigue, hunger and sickness. This can be avoided in building a workshop and using materials to construct extra bedding, or a watch-tower etc.
    I will talk more about the negative features of the game, solely because there's enough positive already.
    The game is at times buggy, and it seems interesting that everyone advises against you using a car, as it can alert zombies, even though in a car you can plow through hordes and hordes before the car becomes unusable.
    I won't go into graphics, with the exception of saying they are good. Regardless of what people say, graphics dont really matter that much.
    The inclusion of "special" zombies is an irritation, as it seems like they were simply thrown in for some extra difficulty, with little or no regard for the fact that they don't fit in at all. If most zombies can go down in a headshot, why create a fat one who takes 5+headshots? It removes the sense of believability.
    The game world itself is wonderful to explore, each house is unique and searchable, and the potential always draws you in. However, with the amount of missions on your screen at any one time, you never really get the chance to do some proper exploration.
    The game is also very emotionally distant. If someone (your best friend) dies, nothing happens bar a little notification on your screen. You will not become emotionally attached to characters or situation- it is certainly not trying to be TellTale Games: The Walking Dead.
    Lastly, the system to swap between characters is excellent, however you cannot trade weapons between them, so you will have some characters without weapons who can only get them by going into where they would need weapons. If you don't have enough influence to buy weapons from the community, you wont have enough to bring someone with you to help you find a weapon. I do not believe getting a playable member to accompany you should cost influence.
    In summary, despite its few flaws, and the potential negative impacts of permadeath and real-time, as well as rediculously punishing auto-saves (dont bother screwing up something and trying to reload to before it happened) SoD is at its heart a fantastic open world infection game, with solid core mechanics
  99. Jun 15, 2013
    The IGN review is pretty accurate for this title. I wish it would have been a full budget title, but maybe there will be a sequel. Great fun, but with a few of the pitfalls of all sandbox games.
  100. Oct 8, 2013
    This is an excellent game for being bound to the confines of 2GB on XBLA. I will say that if you do not like to: 1. Manage resources 2. Play as a community and not as an individual 3. Be careful when to engage, who to send for what 4. Pay attention to morale and deal with relationships Then you will NOT like this game as its more about those things than it is about combat.

The driving is decent, the combat is fun, shooting is a bit funky but serviceable (its loud and loud is BAD), graphics are decent and the voice acting is well done with a good storyline. Also your choices have real impact. Additionally its a living, breathing persistent world that will continue on without you, so if you log off and are away for a while you will see that either things got a bit better or could have gotten a LOT worse.

The game is large and you could blaze through the story in probably 10 to 12 hours or take your time like I am and I am maybe 1/2 way through with 17 hours logged in.

I am anxiously awaiting the future Class 4 game which is said to be coop or MMO version with the same game mechanics, which are well done and very fun to work with.
  101. Jun 18, 2013
    A fascinating game that strikes solid on expectations. It's an interesting blend of more typical zombie games with a sandbox, turf management mechanic as seen in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. You can get very involved in the game very fast, and lose a lot of time to it constantly doing side-quests and exploring without the game ever getting dull. All this from an indie game is fantastic, and with the promise of changes and different successes/mistakes made in every playthru, there is a lot of potential for replay value. Collapse

1. Oct 7, 2013
    An entertaining zombie apocalypse sandbox. It's a bit rough visually, but makes up for it with a persistent world. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    It's not the most beautiful and polished game, but the end of the world with all it’s small and big problems rarely felt this real.
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    The Last of Us meets The Sims, mashed, salted and served with a few lumps. [Oct 2013, p.64]