7.2

1. Jun 5, 2013
    big, scary and awesome; it's reminds me of walking dead season 1. the game has its flaws, but nothing that ruins it. scavenge, build bases, make friends and enemies and beat zombies to pulp. i also love that death is permanent (but you can play as any ally from your base).

you need to try this game.
  2. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is a time consuming, absorbing entertaining thrill ride. I've just got off my xbox after a 15 hour gaming session, in which I've hardly made a dent in it. The little things make this game, like the resource gathering and the ability to change character and home, etc. Some of the craziest stuff can happen, for instance my car broke down when I was in the middle of no where and IThis game is a time consuming, absorbing entertaining thrill ride. I've just got off my xbox after a 15 hour gaming session, in which I've hardly made a dent in it. The little things make this game, like the resource gathering and the ability to change character and home, etc. Some of the craziest stuff can happen, for instance my car broke down when I was in the middle of no where and I had hike back to my base with just a baseball bat and a few snacks. It's things like that, which make this game. If you can look over its obvious flaws like the frame rate issue, the glitches and the occasional face palm moment, you'll find a game which really can be admired and loved. At it's core it feels like an old school game. If you're a fan of casual games which go easy on you, this probably wont be for you. This is a game us zombie fans and survival fans have all been waiting for and although it isn't perfect, it's an incredibly good, deep and well thought out game. I can tell this is something I'll be playing for months to come. Expand
  3. Jun 5, 2013
    Such a fun game to play! So much content and things to do and the fact that it's an Xbox Live Arcade game blows my mind. A must get for all zombie fans. Something original, fresh and and new.
  4. Jun 5, 2013
    good game way better then WarZ even better then dayZ but of course it is coz dayz is a mod anyways this game kicks ass
  5. Apr 25, 2014
    This review is designed to help the undecided decide.. I wrote it designed to point out the key parts for those interested....

78 critic score is TOTAL CRAP! Anyone who has played this game for even 1 hour can feel the potential... --it's an insanely ADDICTING,REWARDING experience.. Did I mention it's addicting.. I just returned to playing this game when I saw the DLC

--it's an insanely ADDICTING,REWARDING experience.. Did I mention it's addicting.. I just returned to playing this game when I saw the DLC "Breakdown"..funny how the day after I purchased it, the d@mn DLC goes on "spring-sale" clearance. But I used all my luck years ago...
    ---sound--superb. Funny sayings are cleverly placed into new characters who show up..
    --OPEN WORLD- this is the ultimate prototype for "open World freedom"!! You can travel in a car to the boonies on on the faaar side of no mans land and STILL be able to go inside houses for chance loot able stuff..
    --The Game--you find two kinds of loot.. Backpacks which you return to you're base and get you're stockpile of that resource increased. Like medicine,food,ammo,fuel etc,,((you're people slowly dwindle you're resources daily and mainly you use them to build new buildings that unlock newer features..that's a big part of what's addicting....
    --There's many different buildings that can be used for you're base of operations and you can relocate you're whole clan easy enough..
    ----key feature worth noting--""call for runners"" say ya don't wanna carry the backpack all the way home,,,hit a button and for a few pennies runners come and get it..but with 2 small prices/risks..-1- you don't get the morale points and experience of delivering it...and 2nd and more importantly- there's a chance the guy going to get it (ON-FOOT) can be ambushed and if you don't go physically save him - there's a 50/50 chance he will DIE! And you have no control who the runner is..it could be you're favorite hero..every player in game is playable and every single person is unique and different...
    --also,,the runners going to get the backpack for you actually leave the home base and jog all the way there,,pick up backpack and jog a lil slower now all the way back.. The further the run is the higher the risk..
    --you encounter them here & there if you're really micro managing everything.. Ya get into the flow of this game and will have 20'things all going at same time...

---guys,, play this cheap game before you PERMANENTLY move on to Xbox1..
    --it takes the shooting zombies we love from shooters,,and the beating them down and beheadeding and lambing them from dead island type games we love,,,and the base building of. Tower defense games we love...all while we get attached to the survivors..--

--also--HEROES--when you're on a roll doing good and everyone is happy(not always) heroes show up and need and escort,,if you cane sort them= they will join you and they might be a former swat team sniper!!!or a emergency room dr??or a engineer or auto mechanic??these "heroes" become the leaders and most valuable of you're whole village...if you by chance find say a CHEF,,you can access the menu for feast and special meals that pack amazing results and boost.. It's fulfilling when you score an engineer who can build stuff..

----it's obvious the minds behind this designed a game they too wanted to really play..

The scores for this game are reasons why the scoring is broken and one must "READ THE REVIEWS",NOT JUST THE SCORES.. I WOULD REALISTIC SCORE THIS A *** 9 ***
  6. Nov 19, 2013
    As close as you can get to an open world zombie game. Talks of a mmo state of decay are on the wind! One can only hope! This game is everything you could want in a zombie game. I have quite literally waited years for someone to make a game like this where scavenging is key in a wide open gaming space with no loading screens to pull you out of the immersion!

There is a bright future for

There is a bright future for both this game and the developers!
  7. Nov 23, 2013
    The game is good over all, it really feels like a survival and the game is built on you creating this safe place, by defending it, gathering supplies, and other things that makes this game both challenging and rewarding, but on a side note, it's too easy to break the cars down and there are some small bugs every now and then but it doesn't mess with the game play so overall it is a goodThe game is good over all, it really feels like a survival and the game is built on you creating this safe place, by defending it, gathering supplies, and other things that makes this game both challenging and rewarding, but on a side note, it's too easy to break the cars down and there are some small bugs every now and then but it doesn't mess with the game play so overall it is a good zombie survival game for those with some free time on their hands. Expand
  8. Jun 6, 2013
    In two days I have played this game for 14 hours, I still haven't finished it, and every moment has been fantastic fun. Yes the game has some issues, but I can over look all of these issues because how thrilling this game can be. It is a survival game, taking on zombies should be avoided, and when your best character is cornered it is terrifying, and when you escape by the skin of my teethIn two days I have played this game for 14 hours, I still haven't finished it, and every moment has been fantastic fun. Yes the game has some issues, but I can over look all of these issues because how thrilling this game can be. It is a survival game, taking on zombies should be avoided, and when your best character is cornered it is terrifying, and when you escape by the skin of my teeth it was incredibly satisfying. If you're a fan of zombie games, or even someone looking for something unique, you must absolutely at least give this a try. Expand
  9. Jun 6, 2013
    With so-so graphics and the occassional frame rate or glitch State of Decay is still a whole lot of fun and intense zombie-killing action! HUGE open world with lots to see and do. Scary, intense and stress-inducing. Clocked almost 15 hours and barely scratched the beginning. Must buy if you are into the whole End of the World Zombie stuff.
  10. Jun 6, 2013
    With the amount of content in this open-world, survival (emphasis on survival) game, $20 is the deal of the century. There are some framerate issues, to be sure, but the game itself is unbelievably compelling and I can't put it down. Very, very impressed.

In addition to the exploration and zombie fighting, there's an interesting fort/companion management mode that really serves to invest the player in keeping the fort safe and the companions alive. The huge open world is full of interesting places to check out and loot, and the Assassin Creed-like survey points help you scope out the best places.

With Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and now State of Decay, 2013 has seemingly been the year of the arcade game so far. I see this as a great thing as each of those games have impressed me, especially at what they are each priced at.

State of Decay is a great game that really deserves the attention it's getting. A very solid 9 score for me.
  11. Jun 6, 2013
    9/10 because it doesn't include co-op. Amazing arcade game and well worth the $20 admission price. Very well done. Graphics aren't spectacular but the gameplay is. Always something to do. If you like hugs while playing this game will probably drive you crazy because it is constantly trying to kill you. In that I mean it is not easy. Think like a real survivor or else. Don't wander out9/10 because it doesn't include co-op. Amazing arcade game and well worth the $20 admission price. Very well done. Graphics aren't spectacular but the gameplay is. Always something to do. If you like hugs while playing this game will probably drive you crazy because it is constantly trying to kill you. In that I mean it is not easy. Think like a real survivor or else. Don't wander out after dark unprepared and if you wouldn't take on 10 zombies alone in real life you probably shouldn't in this game either, you will die and death is permanent. Expand
  12. Jun 6, 2013
    Anyone who paid $60 for Dead Island or Left 4 Dead should feel pretty well ripped off by now. This game is $20, and is an objective-based, open world game with a solid narrative to boot. The frame rate drops, but I doubt you'll even care much once the ball gets rolling in this game. You have $20 to spend on a zombie survival game, so do yourself a favor and spend it here.
  13. Jun 5, 2013
    Having been disappointed by games like War Z, Dead Island, and Dead Rising this one finally hits the mark that zombie games should be aiming for. State of Decay is a combination of a LOT of genres including survival, action, RPG, strategy, and simulation. While it doesn't exactly nail each of these genres in the gameplay it comes pretty damn close.

SoD is a game that is not based about

SoD is a game that is not based about a singular character in a linear storyline but rather a community of characters in a dynamic sandbox environment. Yes, there are missions and quests but they seem to be optional and the player can play at their own pace (with some exceptions). That being said, the difficult does ramp up as you progress further in the storyline. This sort of gameplay is a unique and refreshing take on zombies and you'll be pressured to avoid combat rather then shoot your way through it. This game does feature permanent death so making mistakes can easily and quickly kill off your favorite character causing you to play as another team member.

Characters in the game are mostly semi-randomly generated with the exceptions being storyline or plot characters and, for me, they are the core of the game. While they could use a bit more visual variety (mostly with the heads) they all have unique traits, skills, and abilities that make them valuable to your community. Furthermore, you have an outpost that you call home and can use resources to build additions, upgrade, and perform unique functions with it giving you distinct advantages. These choices matter and are hard; do you build a garden for food or a workshop to repair vehicles? With the pressure this game provides it is difficult to make these difficult decisions.

Downsides of the game is that there are technical hurdles that I hope the developer will fix and the game does tend to become increasingly difficult making it difficult to survive. Some performance lag does occur when driving or when multiple enemies are on the screen at one time. I also find night time terrifying and wish there was an option to just sleep through it. It is also somewhat difficult to trade items and equipment as you must drop everything in storage, switch characters, and then pick it up. Lastly, there is no multiplayer (though the developers have hinted at wanting to do a co-op DLC). I feel that most of these issues can be addressed and resolved through patches, difficulty sliders, and a few game options.

Anyways, SoD is looking to be a huge XBOX Live Arcade hit and is one sale for $18-20 or 1600 MS points. If you've been waiting for that "real" zombie survival simulator then give it a shot.
  14. Jun 6, 2013
    Now, as Deadly Premonitions is the eccentric but fantastic survival horror, State of Decay is the oddity of the zombie genre, encapsulating many of the best features from the likes of early Resident Evils to DayZ and also introducing a few innovative elements. Whilst it's unpolished and has a few significant defects, there's a certain fun to the overall flow of gameplay, transcending anyNow, as Deadly Premonitions is the eccentric but fantastic survival horror, State of Decay is the oddity of the zombie genre, encapsulating many of the best features from the likes of early Resident Evils to DayZ and also introducing a few innovative elements. Whilst it's unpolished and has a few significant defects, there's a certain fun to the overall flow of gameplay, transcending any setbacks from low framerates and cumbersome combat.

The take on a post-apocalyptic world and a community within it, which you lead from a multitude of characters through 'influence', is a brilliantly fresh aspect to merely survival, it's construction from the ruins of the civilization clearly experienced: progression as is the direction this game takes. You're not only acquire resources for yourself and each decision isn't without consequence there's a bigger picture, as is the case of a societal collapse.

You must scout, accumulate resources, choose a base, improve defenses, establish facilities, search for survivors, improve weaponry, amass influence and maintain influence all factors to add a layer of depth to an otherwise straightforward survival game already enjoyable.

Go and lead through the apocalypse, not simply wander as a vagrant survivor.
  15. Jun 6, 2013
    This is by far the best zombie game ever created. Not only is it open world sandbox it also mixes rpg, resource and community management, and it all works fantastically. This has to be Xbox arcade game of the year. It's ambitious and lives up to it promises of being a realistically fun zombie game that you would be brain dead to not buy this! It's only $20 btw soo worth it!!
  16. Jun 6, 2013
    Best sandbox game I've ever played. A true zombie survival game.After playing for hours i have lost only 1 survivor and i learned you have to be careful and don't bash every zombie you see. As for the downs. Boarding up windows for me just delays finishing off a zombie attack on your neighbors and the frame rates is little off sometimes. But it doesn't bother my game play at all. I loveBest sandbox game I've ever played. A true zombie survival game.After playing for hours i have lost only 1 survivor and i learned you have to be careful and don't bash every zombie you see. As for the downs. Boarding up windows for me just delays finishing off a zombie attack on your neighbors and the frame rates is little off sometimes. But it doesn't bother my game play at all. I love that you can run out of supplies in the town and cars don't re-spawn. Once an item or survivor is gone, they are gone. Making this a true survival game. Leveling up is excellent. There is always something to do. Mission, building friendship and moral, and just scavenging for supplies. All this just for 20$. Expand
  17. Jun 7, 2013
    The Zombie game we've all been waiting for, i think that pretty much sums up State of Decay. All that you could wish for in a survival horror game is here. Fun satisfying melee combat with plenty of weapons of all different varieties from machetes to baseball bats, lots of guns with sparse amounts of ammunition that needs to be scavenged and even craft able silencers to remain undetected.The Zombie game we've all been waiting for, i think that pretty much sums up State of Decay. All that you could wish for in a survival horror game is here. Fun satisfying melee combat with plenty of weapons of all different varieties from machetes to baseball bats, lots of guns with sparse amounts of ammunition that needs to be scavenged and even craft able silencers to remain undetected. There's stealth kills and sneaking, there's full on battles with different combos to behead or de-leg zombies. There's skills to build and special moves to learn.. There's allies to find and bring back to your personal safe haven that you yourself can find and build around using materials found whilst scavenging the local towns and campsites. You can drive in cars at the risk of alerting hoards or you can choose to run if you have the stamina. You can make friends with local enclaves that will help you should you ask, for example i helped an army officer who then offered me the use of his mortar teams should i find myself in a sticky situation. There's literally too much to put down in this review, why waste time writing when i need to be scavenging medical supplies for my injured fellow survivors.. The thing that prevents me from giving State of Decay a 10/10 is the occasional technical glitch that often accompanies such ambitious titles and lets not forget that this is a £15 arcade title.If you like zombies, RPGs, horror, survival, looting, item management or just pummeling a zombies brains in go buy this game, i promise you that you wont regret it! Expand
  18. Jun 11, 2013
    There's been a lot of complaints about this game having "game breaking" glitches and graphical problems. That's a load of bull. Yes there are a lot of glitches and graphical problems, but they are all minor compared to everything else. The game is fully playable and is extremely fun. Obviously there could have been more to the game; online capabilities, co-op, more strategic options toThere's been a lot of complaints about this game having "game breaking" glitches and graphical problems. That's a load of bull. Yes there are a lot of glitches and graphical problems, but they are all minor compared to everything else. The game is fully playable and is extremely fun. Obviously there could have been more to the game; online capabilities, co-op, more strategic options to fortifying defenses, more items and control over them, being able to actually make your home base instead of choosing from the 6 (I think that's all) that are available, etc... But regardless of the minor setbacks it's still an amazing game. I am not a fan of the newer generation of "fast zombies", I feel that style to be very boring and unfitting to the whole concept of zombies. And needless to say there is just a never ending supply of fast zombies, but at least the constant threat of being overrun or alerting a zombie horde is present. While playing you will very rarely find yourself with no place that you need to be, but it won't last for long. The sidequests are constant and can sometimes be overwhelming if you're out gathering supplies. And a lot of people have a problem with the perma death if you die. The game's whole focus is survival and the difficulty of surviving during a zombie outbreak. Perma death fits perfectly with that concept. Expand
  19. Jul 12, 2013
    The ultimate zombie apocalypse experience. It has everything you want in a zombie survival game scavenging, finding survivors, resource management, open-world, driving, and of course zombie killing. The combat is deep, the RPG system is solid, the stealth system adds a good mix the game is more about simulation than for story (Not a bad story, just you can clearly tell the developersThe ultimate zombie apocalypse experience. It has everything you want in a zombie survival game scavenging, finding survivors, resource management, open-world, driving, and of course zombie killing. The combat is deep, the RPG system is solid, the stealth system adds a good mix the game is more about simulation than for story (Not a bad story, just you can clearly tell the developers intended this to be about the experience and not the story) but this game gets a 9 instead of a 10 because it is one of the buggiest games I've ever played. (Though it gets a 10 on the fun factor) Most importantly, this is ONLY an Arcade game and not a full retail game. Honestly, I would have dished out a full 60 for this game (especially with so many poor quality 60 dollars games that's been coming out as of late) Expand
  20. Jun 5, 2013
    This game was a blast, it was more another persons try on dead rising or a Day z for people who don't like to watch paint dry. For the price you are getting a great deal.
  21. Jun 6, 2013
    This game can be summed up in one sentence; Grand Theft Auto, with zombies. That's probably over-simplifying things, but it's fair assessment. The mission structure, open-world sandbox & feel of the game are very reminiscent of the GTA franchise, with the sense that this world would continue to function without your presence. SOD is a bit rough around the edges, and feels like a game thatThis game can be summed up in one sentence; Grand Theft Auto, with zombies. That's probably over-simplifying things, but it's fair assessment. The mission structure, open-world sandbox & feel of the game are very reminiscent of the GTA franchise, with the sense that this world would continue to function without your presence. SOD is a bit rough around the edges, and feels like a game that would have been at more at home on the PS2, but I was undeniably hooked once I had worked my way through the tutorial missions at the beginning. I haven't really had time to explore the resource management aspect of the game yet (you can strike out from a base of operations, recruiting survivors and scavenging for resources), but there's a definite thrill gained from sneaking into shops or gas stations, looking for medicine, food or fuel to keep your community going. The game seems quite buggy at present, with zombies (or 'zeds', in the games parlance) just popping in randomly sometimes, or glitching through walls. Also, a quick glance at both user and professional reviews will repeatedly mention the camera; it's not great, and can prove annoying when trying to sneak about, especially when hiding in the undergrowth. But it's fiendishly addictive, and I'm now writing this review at 1am after a solid four hours of play, when I had only intended to pop the game on for half an hour or so. Fans of GTA, The Walking Dead and, of course, DayZ will definitely want to check this out, and I can't wait to see what future updates bring. If they enabled online multiplayer/co-op, this game would just explode. Check out the demo, see what you think, and don't be afraid to persevere for a rewarding experience. Expand
  22. Jun 5, 2013
    State of Decay is one of the few Arcade Games that are worth the money. (1600MSP btw.)
    It has a lot of content and the map has a pretty decent size for a SP-only Open World Arcade Game.
    The controls are pretty good, though you cant change the sensitivity. The graphics are not the best, but its an Arcade Game and all about gameplay so I wont complain about that much. The social features
    The controls are pretty good, though you cant change the sensitivity.
    The graphics are not the best, but its an Arcade Game and all about gameplay so I wont complain about that much. The social features are great and force you to do something by collecting resources which are needed to keep the base secured and the community happy. The atmosphere is great and you really have to pay attention on what you are doing and how, cause there are a lot of zombies which can get alerted pretty easy if you dont pay attention.
    There also is a huge variety of weapons, gadgets and consumable which can be really useful in some situations.

The negatives are the reason I "only" give 8.5 out of 10:

- you cant adjust brightness in-game
    - some really heavy stuttering sometimes especially when driving in a car )
    - many little bugs but nothing big )
    - some frame drops even with the low-level graphics
  23. Jun 6, 2013
    Greatest zombie game ever made, only a 9 because of the rough edges. This game has everything a zombie fan could want. Open world, limited supplies that don't respawn, permanent death, stealth ect. This game is not about killing zeds it's about surviving the zed threat. Try to take on more than 2 zombies at a time and you will be overwhelmed so its better to avoid and only attack whenGreatest zombie game ever made, only a 9 because of the rough edges. This game has everything a zombie fan could want. Open world, limited supplies that don't respawn, permanent death, stealth ect. This game is not about killing zeds it's about surviving the zed threat. Try to take on more than 2 zombies at a time and you will be overwhelmed so its better to avoid and only attack when necessary. Guns are not the best idea as they will just attract more zombies from the noise. Cars are great for getting about but also carry threat from the noise, you can't be reckless with them either as they don't respawn when destroyed.

A steal at 1600msp!
  24. Jun 6, 2013
    Zombie-survival RPG? Check. Simulated open-world? Check. Unforgiving perma-death? Check. Seems like this title just took a look at what other zombie-survival games made wrong and turned it around to make it the best. I don't even see how Dead Rising or Day Z can compare itself fairly to State of Decay. It's just made so right, there's almost nothing to dislike about it.

The only thing

The only thing in the way of a 10 is the lack of a co-op system. If I've understood right, it will come in time.
  25. Jun 7, 2013
    This is the one of the first zombie survival games in a long time that feels compelling and gives you a real sense of urgency about your decisions. I've played top-down games, third-person games, and first-person games from different eras, and I have to say, I actually relish the time I spend in this dangerous 'State of Decay' world.

Taking a recently well-used theme like Zombie

Taking a recently well-used theme like Zombie Apocalypse and adding fort building, driving w/ passengers, and a plethora of mission types really gives you plenty to do. I've already spent about 15 hours playing the game and haven't really started exploring the other two large towns yet, and to be honest, I'm no worse off for it.

The combat is a bit wonky in some places, but mostly it's satisfying hearing that skull-splattering sound of each 'zed' I kill, and as I learn more moves, I have much more fun with switching up the hand-to-hand combos. Shooting is fine with me; I don't really need it to be anything more than moderately accurate in aim and firepower per gun type, and the silencers are a nice touch.

The biggest point of interest in this game is the skill and facility upgrade systems. I've upgraded several of my survivors in many areas (cardio, fighting, wit, etc.) and it gives me a little more assurance that they'll be ok if they're trapped on a scavenge run or if I need to switch to a beefed-up survivor to go on a dangerous mission. Having the characters be subject to permanent death really ratchets up the urgency of saving or finding a lost or in-danger survivor. Also, being able to build facilities really gives me a reason to scavenge and stockpile resources; it's not just some mindless crapshoot looting run.

Overall this is a well-thought out game, and apparently they're already about to patch things up (according to the notes, they're fixing some well-known issues, which is always good with a first patch...SIMCITY). If they can fix framerate issues and weird pop-ins, then this has potential to be in the conversation for indie game of the year.
  26. Jun 5, 2013
    Without a doubt in my mind the best zombie game I've ever played. The game feels nice, looks nice, and plays nice. Definitely one for the zombie killer in all of us. I strongly recommend it.
  27. Jun 9, 2013
    One of the best arcade titles of 2013. Some much content kept me playing for days. Better than dayz or warz. They exucuted suspense and horror perfectly for a game like this. Well done, undead studios!!
  28. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed everything the game was day z and war z That be and is not, because the only problem in the game for me and the game is not coop, why was this game and perfect upon history. excellent advise playing game Expand
  29. Jun 5, 2013
    Just plain simple fun with nice game play all wrapped up in a $20 XBLA downloadable with plenty to do and with solid interactions with the AI this game is a must have for any one who loves the Zombie-Survival genre
  30. Jun 15, 2013
    State of Decay is definitely a very ambitious and enjoyable game to play. It's gameplay is definitely unique and very easy to get into. The character building system, the base building, and the overall fact of it being an open world sandbox give the player a ton of freedom to play the game the way that they really want to. Another plus for the game is that it's a $20 arcade title that'sState of Decay is definitely a very ambitious and enjoyable game to play. It's gameplay is definitely unique and very easy to get into. The character building system, the base building, and the overall fact of it being an open world sandbox give the player a ton of freedom to play the game the way that they really want to. Another plus for the game is that it's a $20 arcade title that's definitely worth the money. However, the game has several technical issues. There are constant frame rate drops and bugs like zombies clipping through walls and getting stuck between rocks. However, the jank in the game isn't enough to keep it from being a must own arcade title that players will pump a ton of hours into. Expand
  31. Jun 5, 2013
    This is the zombie game I've been waiting for. It delivers on all the promises UndeadLabs made. Its successfully combines everything from the iconic zombie games of the past.
  32. Jun 10, 2013
    [Pros]
    -Driving over zombies is tons of fun
    -Every building is scavengable for items and resources -Perma-death (while painful, it adds a lot to the game) -Noise attracts zombies (stealth is important) -Rpg elements with characters -Upgradable home base -Special zombies that aren't too crazy but are more fun -Hours and hours of gameplay [Cons] -Graphics aren't impressive
    [Pros]
    -Driving over zombies is tons of fun
    -Every building is scavengable for items and resources
    -Perma-death (while painful, it adds a lot to the game)
    -Noise attracts zombies (stealth is important)
    -Rpg elements with characters
    -Upgradable home base
    -Special zombies that aren't too crazy but are more fun
    -Hours and hours of gameplay

[Cons]
    -Graphics aren't impressive
    -Lower framerate at times
    -Some gameplay bugs here and there
    -Some missions repeat themselves after a while

After having played for 15+ hours, I have to say that I've gotten my moneys worth. I still haven't beaten the game, but still enjoying exploring and killing zombies. There are technical issues here and there, but they are releasing a patch that should fix some of them. Try it out and it'll suck you in!
  33. Jun 6, 2013
    A "perfect 10" might seem excessive for a game which is, admittedly, plagued by bugs of every stripe and color. But some rough edges do not detract--at least in any terminal way--from the fact that this is probably one of the most ambitious games we have seen on consoles in years. The combat, while not in the league of Dark Souls is solid, and the base-building and survival aspects allA "perfect 10" might seem excessive for a game which is, admittedly, plagued by bugs of every stripe and color. But some rough edges do not detract--at least in any terminal way--from the fact that this is probably one of the most ambitious games we have seen on consoles in years. The combat, while not in the league of Dark Souls is solid, and the base-building and survival aspects all come together to create an experience that is taxing on the nerves, intellect, and reflexes in an absolutely delightful way. This is the closest you will ever want to get to a real zombie apocalypse. Expand
  34. Jul 14, 2013
    I got the South African version of the game yesterday after a long wait and it's absolutely worthe every microsoft point in the price. One of the best zombie games yet, competing with the full retail likes of dead rising, dead island and left for dead! Love the game structure, and regular patches fixing all the major and finar flaws which caused bad review scores. Get this game NOW!
  35. Aug 21, 2013
    I can't say that any of the features of this game are better or more intense or the next big thing the game is just basically AN AMAZING FREAKING ZOMBIE GAME. And it's open world. So you just can't go wrong.
  36. Jun 16, 2013
    State of Decay is an open world 3rd person action adventure that takes place in a zombie apocalyptic world. For me this was a very surprising and enjoyable success. I enjoyed the game play the most. Being able to adventure the open world map with little limitations is what I loved. You can venture on foot or jump into an available vehicle to drive. The night and day element and the varietyState of Decay is an open world 3rd person action adventure that takes place in a zombie apocalyptic world. For me this was a very surprising and enjoyable success. I enjoyed the game play the most. Being able to adventure the open world map with little limitations is what I loved. You can venture on foot or jump into an available vehicle to drive. The night and day element and the variety of different types of zombies help set the mood. There's a lot more to get excited about here. The developers added some RPG elements in game too. Being able the upgrade your home base (and can move it) and also acquire outposts around the map. Searching for supplies throughout the world is also important to being able to upgrade you things. Also, you can save and invite into your group other survivors as well which will benefit you as you can send these NPC's on runs for supplies while you take care of other business. Also, to mention that helping other groups can help yourself by adding helpful tools like calling for backup from military support or having a vehicle dropped of at your location. It's also important to mention some of the cool game play features the developer has added like opening vehicle door while driving to take down wondering zombie hordes or smashing through glass windows of houses to make your getaway from attacking zombies. For once I enjoyed all the melee fighting as I found myself using a bat over a gun most of the time. Story is nothing to get excited about but if its game play you love the most with little restrictions than State Of Decay is your game. There are some technical issues like frame rate issues and other character collision issues but as we speak the developer is committed saying they are always improving the game (first patch has already been released). Not sure if they will be able to fix everything but with that aside I still recommend buying this for the price. Expand
  37. Jun 18, 2013
    Best twenty dollar game ever. Finally a zombie game that's more about survival then talking to people. Very good rpg elements and home base strategy. It has broke arcade download records. Ten million since release is amazing.
  38. Jun 22, 2013
    First of I'd like to say this is what a Walking Dead game SHOULD have been! Like a previous reviewer said this is the best sandbox zombie game I've ever played. Its a big like Dead Rising but minus the stupid timer and comedy. I'll tell you right now though it certainly isn't the prettiest game ever made but the depth of the game is insane. Its not just a game filled with boring fetchFirst of I'd like to say this is what a Walking Dead game SHOULD have been! Like a previous reviewer said this is the best sandbox zombie game I've ever played. Its a big like Dead Rising but minus the stupid timer and comedy. I'll tell you right now though it certainly isn't the prettiest game ever made but the depth of the game is insane. Its not just a game filled with boring fetch quests, there is so much you can do even little things like barricading a window with a hammer, board and nails made me smile because stuff like this is so often over looked. You can play as different characters who all have specific skills and you always have to be on guard when a character dies they are dead for good. It really makes your choices impactful. If you have character X all buffed up with killer stats and you get over run by a horde and that character dies it can reallly effect your game. Some might think this is unfair or what not but I feel it makes the game all that more realistic. For being an XBLA game you are getting more content then most triple A $60 games out there these days.. No 4 hour snooze fest like Metal Gear Rising or Halo 4's short campaign. For the price of the game it is seriously worth its weight in GOLD. The game isn't perfect though as it has some minor clipping issues and the voice acting (ie how their mouths move when speaking) isn't the greatest but that aside I would recommend this game to ANYONE who even has a remote interest in zombies. Its refreshing to finally play a DECENT zombie survival title. In closing the last thing I can tell you is if you buy this DO NOT use your credit card information over XBL. I've had my identity stolen 3 times now because of this. Expand
  39. Jun 10, 2013
    Saw it on Xbox Arcade and downloaded the trial version. After playing for about 30 min I began to understand the vastness of the environment, possibilities, gameplay-elements and decided to buy it. I can't stop playing, there is always something else to do, someone to save, supplies to be gathered etc, this may sound like its repetitive, but you get in a lot of unique unpredictableSaw it on Xbox Arcade and downloaded the trial version. After playing for about 30 min I began to understand the vastness of the environment, possibilities, gameplay-elements and decided to buy it. I can't stop playing, there is always something else to do, someone to save, supplies to be gathered etc, this may sound like its repetitive, but you get in a lot of unique unpredictable situations. Besides, I hate repetition in games since I get bored easily.
    On the technical side it's not triple A, but this game has something you rarely see in todays 'micro-wave-meal-esque' triple A titles:
    - Complex game-mechanics with tons of possibilities which you have to figure out yourself step by step;
    - Unpredictable situations or turn of events that suddenlu cab cost you your life (or your fellow survivors);
    - Decisions you have to make of which you are not sure how they turn out, making you plan every move.
    If you weigh all options, plan right, build your base correct and make sure your stockpile is high then the game isn't unforgivingly hard, however, there is no trial and error: dead is dead. It is in perfect balance though.
    The sheer possibilities and complex mechanism behind it make me easily forget about the mediocre technical side. This is a sleeper hit and could be GOTY for me. Never heard of Undead Labs before, but they certainly got my attention.
  40. Jun 17, 2013
    Best zombie survival game ever! I love the combination of resource-management, building your base and go for raids! The game has a very immersive atmosphere and you will never know what comes next. So be prepared
  41. Jun 7, 2013
    State of Decay is one of the most original, realistic, and entertaining zombie games I have ever played. The player has to take care of his/her community and deal with threats like starvation and disease in the ever-changing world around them. The one problem with this fantastic game is that it is glitchy. Zombies phase through walls and cars get stuck in fences and phases down theState of Decay is one of the most original, realistic, and entertaining zombie games I have ever played. The player has to take care of his/her community and deal with threats like starvation and disease in the ever-changing world around them. The one problem with this fantastic game is that it is glitchy. Zombies phase through walls and cars get stuck in fences and phases down the experience. Still state of decay is an amazing game and for only 1600 Microsoft points its a must buy for zombie, and survival horror fans. Expand
  42. Jun 8, 2013
    I absolutely love this game, but do to some minor problems like driving and frame rate issues, it made me not give this a 10 but a 9. If you want a real open world zombie survival game on the Xbox 360, then this is the game for you. There is permanent death, having to scavenge for supplies, help keeping it together with other survivors, and difficult gameplay you aren't just someI absolutely love this game, but do to some minor problems like driving and frame rate issues, it made me not give this a 10 but a 9. If you want a real open world zombie survival game on the Xbox 360, then this is the game for you. There is permanent death, having to scavenge for supplies, help keeping it together with other survivors, and difficult gameplay you aren't just some unstoppable zombie killer, you're like everyone else.) Did i mention that EVERY SINGLE BUILDING IS ENTERABLE?!?! You have limited supplies to scavenge, car's on the map do not respawn, so keep watch of the cars now!
    For an xbla title, this is truly outstanding. It is worth a buy, i mean it is only 20 bucks!
  43. Jun 9, 2013
    This Game.

This game has truly changed my outlook on what can be achieved by a developer with creative freedom and a publisher that is willing to take a leap of faith. While State of Decay most definitely has some technical issues, I have not come across any that have hindered my enjoyment of this experience. After the game's thankfully short-but-sweet linear set-up, It is up to
    This Game.

After the game's thankfully short-but-sweet linear set-up, It is up to you to keep yourself and your established base-camp and survivors alive and in good mental health. You'll scavenge for supplies and consumables. You'll share your findings with your group. The rarity and impact of the resources you find and share increase your "Influence", which is the games currency.

The missions you complete improve your camp's morale. If morale is too low, other survivors will leave your camp, commit suicide, or steal supplies.

There is so much more to this game than what I've explained above, but I'll leave the rest up to you to find out.

"State of Decay" is easily worth every Microsoft Point you will spend on this game, and at a $20 tag, that is a damn-near unbeatable value.
  44. Sep 5, 2013
    First I really feel the need to respond to some other reviewers. This is an Arcade game. Not a big budget mainstream game.

Now on with the review. The game is a very good zombie survival game which brings in some ideas that rarely are explored in other zombie titles for example a playthrough only has a finite number of survivors and supplies. When these are gone they're gone. This is a clever way to force the player in the direction the developers wanted you to go without explicitely ordering the player too.
    The fighting is really a hit and miss with melee combat falling into button bashing. Gunplay is fun with a very large selection of firearms that could rival Battlefield or Call of Duty however there's no insentive to use a firearm. With zombies only dying to headshots and the larger, more exciting guns creating more noise I personally only found myself carrying a Handgun in case it was ever needed above all else.
    The world, or countryside in more correct terms, is not the giant sandbox players familiar with DayZ are used to but for this game it works. You have one major towns with smaller villages around. I cannot deny that the game could have done with a larger map possibly including a city but as I mentioned in the beginning this is an arcade game afterall so we shouldn't press too much into this detail.

The story is the biggest fault. To be blunt there is no real story and there is no introduction either. The player is thrust right into the game and a zombie fight and then arrives late the the zombie party in town which although justified ingame, in my opinion wasted a good chance for a tension building introduction that we saw in games like Dead Island.
    The other issue is the bad framerates. They may or may not have been resolved now but in my playthrough the framerate drops were offputting especially if you were in life or death moments.
  45. Jun 6, 2013
    While I disagree with those who award the game a 10, I do completely understand their enthusiasm. The game is good... in fact really good... bordering on great... but there are some obvious problems that keep it from being a 10 IMO. Some problems like texture pop ins, dated graphics, clipping issues... etc. But with that said this does nothing to detract from the core gameplay mechanics...While I disagree with those who award the game a 10, I do completely understand their enthusiasm. The game is good... in fact really good... bordering on great... but there are some obvious problems that keep it from being a 10 IMO. Some problems like texture pop ins, dated graphics, clipping issues... etc. But with that said this does nothing to detract from the core gameplay mechanics... and in a nutshell it is the gameplay that is the star here. From what I understand the game is almost like a beta for a planned MMO zombie game... if this is true then the game developer is off to a good start and on the right track.

I will not go into the gameplay mechanics that make the game so good as others have already made some great comments on this already. But if you like zombies, RPG's, and survival horror then this is the game for you!
  46. Jun 6, 2013
    Great game, Good fun with plenty to do. It keeps you entertained while the time fly's by.

Biggest dissapointment is the fact it has no CO-OP or multiplayer.

1600 MP is not bad really.
  47. Jun 6, 2013
    Fantastic game that really really surprised me!
    I was expecting a WarZ style of fail, but this game is alot of fun and well worth the money.
    The only issues I have with the game is the clipping of teammates and zombies and some FPS dips. Still, a few technical issues hasn't stopped me from having a blast with State Of Decay! With a bit more polish and a bit more funding we could
    Fantastic game that really really surprised me!

With a bit more polish and a bit more funding we could have a Top notch sereis on our hands!

Go buy this ASAP, very fun!
  48. Jun 7, 2013
    Very impressed by this game. It has some "jank" but it makes up for that in spades with an engaging world, fun gameplay, and creative ideas. The mortality concept keeps me on the edge of my seat and makes the game actually scary at times. This is the zombie game I've been waiting for all these years. I cannot wait to see what these guys do next.
  49. Jun 5, 2013
    Very cool game, unique. Between fetching supplies and trying to keep everybody alive I'm loving it. Some flaws like screen tearing. Somehow the quests don't feel repetitive.

Best arcade game since Scott Pilgrim for me.
  50. Jun 7, 2013
    This game is solid, not amazing, but solid. I played it all day today, and I'm sure I'll play more.

It's kind of like GTA crossed with Fallout but the goal is to survive. After a tutorial area, you end up apart of a small group of survivors. Gameplay consists of scavenging (food, medicine, weapons/ammo, building materials, ect...), meeting other survivors and befriending them, or making enemies. The games currency is influence, you gain it by being useful, and thus are allowed to spend it by taking things from peoples stashes. You can also eventually spend it to make big decisions on the future of the group.

It's a fun open world with a lot to explore and many characters to meet. You can drive any car that still works, and take over any building, as long as you've searched the whole thing and cleared it of zombies.

There is more to the game, like a lot of cool RPG style leveling systems. I encourage anyone to try it.

The graphics are OK, and it could use more polish overall, but the concept is great and it's definitely playable.
  51. Jun 6, 2013
    So I was really excited for this game, and it really didn't disapoint. I give this game a 8 because of the outstanding idea. The gameplay, story, and things you can do would be 10/10. Even the graphics are not too bad considering it's a live game. The main problem I have with State of Decay is the bugs. Seriously... the bugs RUIN this game from being near perfect. Hopefully they willSo I was really excited for this game, and it really didn't disapoint. I give this game a 8 because of the outstanding idea. The gameplay, story, and things you can do would be 10/10. Even the graphics are not too bad considering it's a live game. The main problem I have with State of Decay is the bugs. Seriously... the bugs RUIN this game from being near perfect. Hopefully they will eventually fix it, because it could easily be the best arcade game of the year. Expand
  52. Jun 7, 2013
    What a lovely surprise this game is. Ok, the graphics and the story are not so lovely, but everything else is.
    With a huge map and a fun gameplay mixing stealth, exploration, combat and survival this game definitely got my attention... and it is just 20 dollars. State of Decay has more content and is more authentic than many triple A games. Its not just another zombie game that is for sure. Buy it!
  53. Jun 8, 2013
    I really had high hopes for this game, and I love that it is really freaking hard becaus that is what survival is all about! survive! The enviroment are neat and it feels like you just poped out of a dream into a nightmare
  54. Jun 8, 2013
    Proof that a good game doesnt need to be headed by a multibillion dollar company. Yes, I'm giving this game a 9. To sum it up this game is basically DayZs little brother mixed with a little GTA and AC. The primary focus is to maintain your base of survivors and scavenge towns for supplies. There is a mixture of melee and ranged combat with the standard "zombies rules" (headshots kill,Proof that a good game doesnt need to be headed by a multibillion dollar company. Yes, I'm giving this game a 9. To sum it up this game is basically DayZs little brother mixed with a little GTA and AC. The primary focus is to maintain your base of survivors and scavenge towns for supplies. There is a mixture of melee and ranged combat with the standard "zombies rules" (headshots kill, guns/cars/breaking windows/making noise searching through supplies make noise that attracts zombies). This game provides a real sense of survival that zombie games as of late have been lacking. Sure, it has its bugs. So did Skyrim. And I have yet to come across a bug that has hindered my gameplay experience of a $20 downloadable title. Also, a patch has already been in the works to fix most of the major issues. Someone did something right with State of Decay, because its the fastest selling DLC on XBLA and the 2nd selling game behind Minecraft. Try it, its great Expand
  55. Jun 8, 2013
    If you're one of the unfortunate gamers who won't have a PS3 in time to play The Last of Us in the coming weeks, this is a more than adequate (albeit entirely different) substitute. Many reviews state that this game is the best deal in the history of XBLA, and I concur. For $20 you get a game that mixes the joys of open world exploration in a post-apocalyptic city with the strategy of anIf you're one of the unfortunate gamers who won't have a PS3 in time to play The Last of Us in the coming weeks, this is a more than adequate (albeit entirely different) substitute. Many reviews state that this game is the best deal in the history of XBLA, and I concur. For $20 you get a game that mixes the joys of open world exploration in a post-apocalyptic city with the strategy of an RPG and the over-whelming terror of zombies.

Every structure you find in the game is explorable and often contains supplies you'll need to survive the zombie apocalypse. Combat is simple, but fun. Items break down over time forcing you to decide whether to fight or run for your life.

In fact, my only gripe with this game is that the game penalizes you for not playing all the time. By that I mean, every 24 hours your resources that you've gathered will slowly be depleted and the morale of your stronghold will drop as well. Basically, if you put this game down for a stretch of time, you essentially lose progress. It's a rather frustrating mechanic that makes me wonder if this is what the future holds for Xbox One... but that's a controversial topic for another time and place.

For now, suffice it to say that it's shortcomings (of which there are a few) are easily over-looked with it's $20 price tag and hours of zombie-killing fun.
  56. Jun 8, 2013
    I have been playing Dayz and such for a long time and it's gotten really boring. This game had revived the Zombie franchise for me. I like this game because of it's realism for example if a survivor dies they die for good etc...

All in all this game is an very good open world Zombie survival game with amazing and beautiful graphics for an Xbox. It has very few bugs only one I found so far was a zombie merging through a tent. P.S. I can't wait for this to come to PC :D
  57. Jun 26, 2013
    Truly an amazing game. Combining all of the best elements of other zombie games, this is one of the best games I have played this year. I would have no problem paying $60 for this game, and for only $20, this has to be one of the best deals on the Xbox Live Marketplace.
  58. Nov 6, 2013
    Great arcade game. This game has a lot of potential, just needs to be polished and some multiplayer features. I also wouldn't mind the DLC to make the world bigger.
  59. Aug 2, 2013
    This game is great. Way too many games nowadays trade million dollar art budgets for actual game depth and complexity. This game is a step in the right direction. The mechanics are relatively fun and addictive, although not really perfect. You get a host of characters who can all grow and get a random selection of several different skills to level up. There is a selection of enemiesThis game is great. Way too many games nowadays trade million dollar art budgets for actual game depth and complexity. This game is a step in the right direction. The mechanics are relatively fun and addictive, although not really perfect. You get a host of characters who can all grow and get a random selection of several different skills to level up. There is a selection of enemies and hordes but only a couple are really dangerous. There is a large selection of weapons, but many are similar to one another and there aren't really weapons with bonuses or anything. Some downsides of the game: The theme is decay and eventual loss of all resources, but there are idiosyncratic ways to draw out resources like double harvesting caches (scav call then self scav) and not searching the last object in a house (causes house to revert to completely unsearched after a while). The enemies and quests can get redundant (especially the community member morale quests) and the enemies who are dangerous are just obnoxiously so, as in once you get hit you can easily get chain hit to death with little recourse. So fighting mechanics exist but are not especially complex, and gun/bomb use is not that complex or interesting either. So mostly it is a strategy game. Expand
  60. Jun 7, 2013
    State of Decay provides an awesome zombie survival experience that almost any player can enjoy. First off, before providing all of the great reasons I love this game, I am going to note the few cons that made me give this game a 9. The biggest con is lack of a fast travel system. I know the game focuses on providing a sense of reality during a zombie apocalypse, but at least being able toState of Decay provides an awesome zombie survival experience that almost any player can enjoy. First off, before providing all of the great reasons I love this game, I am going to note the few cons that made me give this game a 9. The biggest con is lack of a fast travel system. I know the game focuses on providing a sense of reality during a zombie apocalypse, but at least being able to travel to your home while you aren't under siege might be nice. Another is no multiplayer, no explanation needed.

This game brings so many aspects of zombie survival into it I can't mention them all. Scavenging is a must carrying rucksacks while avoiding zeds is definitely a memorable experience. The weapon system is nice and the skills to boost your character are helpful.

While many may believe the perma-death ruins the game, I believe it heightens your sense of security so you don't sprint into a horde just to spawn at Home quicker. You are more aware, alert with this system and play stealthily, swiftly, and safely.

Overall, this game is worth your 20 dollars. It could easily be a stand alone game and still get an easy 8 from me. I look forward to more from UndeadLabs, and more updates to SoD.
  61. Jun 16, 2013
    This is an excellent game. It has several technical issues with frame rate etc. but they don't interfere with the gameplay. The amount of content and depth makes buying this for 20$ a no brainer.
  62. Jun 10, 2013
    It is very good and fun game. But maybe not for everyone, because it does some thing differently than other games. I found it good and interesting. Some may not like these innovations. For example the world is living in the real time. So if you turn off the game and come back later the stuff will happen meanwhile (buildings will be finished, research will progress, resources will be used,It is very good and fun game. But maybe not for everyone, because it does some thing differently than other games. I found it good and interesting. Some may not like these innovations. For example the world is living in the real time. So if you turn off the game and come back later the stuff will happen meanwhile (buildings will be finished, research will progress, resources will be used, cars will be fixed if you have a workshop, most of the NPC will rest, new missions will be available, etc. Some feel like the game is punishing you for not playing. But I like the idea of a word that lives with or without me).
    It is also using the permadeath design kind of like a Ironman mode in the Xcom. You have a whole community of survivors, you can get a new members. You can switch between them. So if the character dies, it is not a game over, but you loose him permanently. And must switch to different character. because the characters get tired off and injured, you must switch from time to time even if they dont die.
    This element is not so punishing as in the Xcom. It is not so easy to loose completelly so dont be worry. Imho it really ads to the survival element of the game.
    Then there is a base building, so you must gather resources and outposts to keep your home area safe.
    And lastly there is actually not just a random generated content (missions with rescue, etc) but lots of unique missions and event, that happens only once and keep you encountering new stuff for many many hours.
    Also the random missions are time sensitive. So if someone is in trouble and you dont save him, he may die (or not but it is a risk) so often you must decide what to do and what to risk. It is little bit like the Dead Rising, but so punishing.

The only problem is obvious low budget, so the game is not as polished as AAA titles there are framedrops, zombies with half of the body in the walls or floor, or NPC behaving in strange way (running away over half of the map for no reason, etc). And some strange bugs (I was able to fix all by reloading the game) But the patch is coming so this should not be a issue for a long time.
  63. Jun 21, 2013
    First off, State of Decay has problems. There are numerous clipping issues, graphical problems, mechanical issues, etc (some of which has been fixed in the patch). Many people are claiming the game is "hard", I would say State of Decay has a high learning curve. There are so many things the player needs to balance, such as: supplies for the home and character, leveling up characters,First off, State of Decay has problems. There are numerous clipping issues, graphical problems, mechanical issues, etc (some of which has been fixed in the patch). Many people are claiming the game is "hard", I would say State of Decay has a high learning curve. There are so many things the player needs to balance, such as: supplies for the home and character, leveling up characters, morale, missions, and other details. State of Decay is challenging in a fun, but occasionally frustrating way. S.O.D. is a open world survival game that has zombies in it that requires the gamer to do more then then shoot and smash zombies. S.O.D. is a downloadable title and has a lot of value in the price tag, while the main storyline is a bit short, the game in its entirety is quite long. Expand
  64. Aug 20, 2013
    State of art for "Zombie Survival" game genre. I was looking for a game such as State of Decay from the creation of DayZ mod for Arma II.
    It's like a GTA game but with zombie, resource management, companions and base building. The only under tone thing is the story, a bit cheap and not very deep... but it's ok for a game such great, at the cost of only1600 MP.
    One of my favorite game of
    One of my favorite game of all time.

Thanks Undead Labs

Edit: reduced score to 8/10 for the last campaign mission and the ending... very useless bad ending. I hope better. The game is good but the last 2-3 missions and the ending are something terrible.
  65. Jun 14, 2013
    This game deserves the rating I am giving it because, 1. It's fairly cheap and 2. it's different. The zombie genre has seem to become stale and predictable over the last 10 years and the most recent addition 'Dead Island' while fun, was not as good as hyped up to be. What sets this game apart from the others is choice. What do I mean by choice, do you mean what weapons will you use andThis game deserves the rating I am giving it because, 1. It's fairly cheap and 2. it's different. The zombie genre has seem to become stale and predictable over the last 10 years and the most recent addition 'Dead Island' while fun, was not as good as hyped up to be. What sets this game apart from the others is choice. What do I mean by choice, do you mean what weapons will you use and equipment? Yes, but I'm also alluding to the element of real survival. The game play in this small arcade title is one of the most unique I have seen in the zombie franchise. You have to build a fortress, and keep it secure. You have to collect food, medical supplies and ammo for your 'community' to survive; and that's just topping the iceberg. With this game you can literally go in any house and scavenge or find something random.

For example I was in town on a supply run for the base when I came across a house and I heard gun shots inside. Two of my other survivors who I had saved were also on a supply run but were getting trapped. When I entered the house they were dead. Now if I had gone back before and saved them they would of trusted me more and I would gain more influence around the base camp.
    So as you can see.. this is just one small example of the choices and decisions you have to make in this zombie 'survival' game.
  66. Jun 13, 2013
    If anything sums this game up in one sentence it's this: This is a much more difficult GTA clone with zombies in it. You'll spend an enormous amount of time going through everything there is to go through in this game but don't get too side-tracked and expect to take on more than a few zombies at a time. This game is very unforgiving and one wrong move can lead to your character gettingIf anything sums this game up in one sentence it's this: This is a much more difficult GTA clone with zombies in it. You'll spend an enormous amount of time going through everything there is to go through in this game but don't get too side-tracked and expect to take on more than a few zombies at a time. This game is very unforgiving and one wrong move can lead to your character getting killed pretty easily. This is not a bad thing but while other sandbox games encourage exploration of the world, this game is almost the opposite. It wants you to only go out of your home for the bare essentials and come back, basically trying to make it a realistic zombie apocalypse simulator. Two things keep this game from being elite and that are the graphics and the numerous glitches and bugs. First off, the graphics in this game are horrible. PS2 quality graphics at best, and even that's being fairly generous. The bugs on the other hand actually can be game breaking, especially when zombies can morph through walls to eat you. The collision detection in this game is horrendous. Sometimes you'll hit a zombie with your melee weapon and it won't register and others it will while watching the zombies get stuck on every fence they come to can get a little boring after awhile. It feels like the game needed a few extra months of bug testing before they put it out to the mass market. All that aside, this is one of the best games on the 360 right now and, for 20 bucks, you can't go wrong here. The main factor is the sheer amount of gameplay that is involved with this game. You can play this game for days and not even scratch the surface of everything going on with it. The bugs will need to be dealt with in a patch in the future as there are far too many of them in the game as it stands now. But it's not enough of an issue to keep me from recommending it to anyone with a 360. Expand
  67. Jun 14, 2013
    This is probably one of my favorite Xbox Arcade games in a while... It has a few hiccups and it does take away from the experience here and there, but not enough to bore you. There are a few screen tears and ugly texture pop ins, and some of the environments are just blah. But other than that combat is surprisingly fun and much like Dead Island's combat. I love that you can get overwhelmedThis is probably one of my favorite Xbox Arcade games in a while... It has a few hiccups and it does take away from the experience here and there, but not enough to bore you. There are a few screen tears and ugly texture pop ins, and some of the environments are just blah. But other than that combat is surprisingly fun and much like Dead Island's combat. I love that you can get overwhelmed by just a few zombies it really adds an increased fear of death and losing all the loot you just picked up in a house nearby. I also found myself caring about the characters, not like I did in Telltales The Walking Dead, I felt if I lost one I would struggle to scavenge and to not have a buddy help me kill zombies onslaughts. This game packs so much content in for an Arcade game it could probably be sold on a disc for $20-30. It's something new and different, a fresh take on zombies. The story could be better, but its a zombie game and I didn't expect that much from the plot in the first place. The bottom line, get it and I am sure you will enjoy it for a while. Expand
  68. Sep 30, 2013
    The only thing about this game i do not like is that it has only about 20 Hours of Content. Yes, its a sandbox and you can play it as long as you want. But when the story is mostly over the game and the radio-chatter gets very, very silent.

I really don't understand this. The missions are very simple, with a few lines of spoken text and ingame graphics. Why are there not more of this missions or even random missions to stretch it a little bit?

Its a design flaw to limit such a potentially everlasting gameplay experience just because there are not enough random mission types to bring some diversity into the game :(

A construction set would be a blast.

However... since the game was pure fun for 20 hours and only costs 20€ i give this game anyway a 10. I just want more of it. :D
  69. Aug 20, 2013
    There are too many zombie games and movies, but this is the best survival-zombie game I've played. It is too small and short, and I would have like to see more aggressive zombies in terms of mounting assaults on my base. Hopeful the devs make another, and if they do, I would like more model diversity, especially with the more advanced zombie types. Overall this is well worth the askingThere are too many zombie games and movies, but this is the best survival-zombie game I've played. It is too small and short, and I would have like to see more aggressive zombies in terms of mounting assaults on my base. Hopeful the devs make another, and if they do, I would like more model diversity, especially with the more advanced zombie types. Overall this is well worth the asking price, if you like the idea of a small-scope, GTA-like survival game. Expand
  70. Jun 15, 2013
    The IGN review is pretty accurate for this title. I wish it would have been a full budget title, but maybe there will be a sequel. Great fun, but with a few of the pitfalls of all sandbox games.
  71. Jun 18, 2013
    A fascinating game that strikes solid on expectations. It's an interesting blend of more typical zombie games with a sandbox, turf management mechanic as seen in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. You can get very involved in the game very fast, and lose a lot of time to it constantly doing side-quests and exploring without the game ever getting dull. All this from an indie game is fantastic,A fascinating game that strikes solid on expectations. It's an interesting blend of more typical zombie games with a sandbox, turf management mechanic as seen in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. You can get very involved in the game very fast, and lose a lot of time to it constantly doing side-quests and exploring without the game ever getting dull. All this from an indie game is fantastic, and with the promise of changes and different successes/mistakes made in every playthru, there is a lot of potential for replay value. Expand
  72. Aug 5, 2013
    This is a very ambitious zombie apocalypse game. You have a large open world (for an XBLA game, at least) to explore. Scavenging for supplies, finding other survivors and upgrading your home base with storage, training areas, etc. are the main draws of this game. Melee combat is made intense with stamina, as attacking or running for too long will develop fatigue, slowing you down andThis is a very ambitious zombie apocalypse game. You have a large open world (for an XBLA game, at least) to explore. Scavenging for supplies, finding other survivors and upgrading your home base with storage, training areas, etc. are the main draws of this game. Melee combat is made intense with stamina, as attacking or running for too long will develop fatigue, slowing you down and leaving you vulnerable. Using guns is risky too as it not only consumes ammo (which isn't too plentiful) but it makes noise, which attracts zombies.Permanent death also adds intensity to the game, because once a survivor is dead, they're dead. With all of these interesting caveats, there are a few problems, mainly mediocre visuals and some weird glitches. But those don't detract from the point of the game: surviving the zombie apocalypse. Expand
  73. Jun 13, 2013
    Some may agree that there are far too many games that include the presence or threat of zombies. Some may agree that the technical issues can sometime become frustrating. However, with the $20 price tag and engrossing gameplay, you can forgive the developers time and time again. I know I have, and I forever will.
  74. Jun 9, 2013
    I give it a 9, completed the game after over 20 hours and im still playing it! I would give it 10 but so many bugs and fps issues but they aren't ruining the great gameplay and athmosphere.
  75. Jun 9, 2013
    "Best the Walking Dead Game ever!" ops, it's not twd... but is FANTASTIC!

Lots of things to do, people to rescue and zombies to kill and it's just a XBLA game. I'm just thinking of this game with an engine like GTA IV or V and a FREE ROAM OR COOP MULTIPLAYER GOTY on a blink of an eye.

Resources gathering, Characters Build and Home base improvement! Very cool.
  76. Jun 9, 2013
    This is a very good game... I kinda think it is a well done mimic of DayZ but it is done very well and i'm glad I got the game.... It gets updated and for 20 dollars... But it has its problems but the quality is very good I recommend it.
  77. Jul 25, 2013
    Without a doubt this game deserves a good rating, its a combination of all the good zombie game elements. It's got the RTS feeling to it where you have to establish safe havens for other survivors, and for people who are looking for action.. there are zombies around just about every corner. The game also has quite a few horror elements. People who are looking for a game with a lot ofWithout a doubt this game deserves a good rating, its a combination of all the good zombie game elements. It's got the RTS feeling to it where you have to establish safe havens for other survivors, and for people who are looking for action.. there are zombies around just about every corner. The game also has quite a few horror elements. People who are looking for a game with a lot of content are not going to be let down by State of Decay there is a plethora of weapons of all kinds, vehicles, and survivors to mingle with. However this game does come with a few bugs, but if you can see past them this game really does become enjoyable. You can play as just about anybody that you befriend. Speaking of people the game introduces you to life-like people, with their own struggles and emotions, one time I really started to like one of my survivors and while playing as her she was brutally killed in combat- it really hit me like nothing else really has. This just goes to show you how diverse and in-depth the game really goes....

It doesn't stop there new features are going to be introduced to the game including Sandbox Mode, Multiplayer, and a port to PC.
  78. Jun 7, 2013
    This is the kind of zombie game that ive been waiting for in so many years. In short.

Pros: -Fantastic open world design. -Challenging gameplay. -Home fort management system give you a purpose in the game. -Persistent side-missions system. -Survivors feel alive thanks to a generally good A.I and good voice acting. -Somewhat engaging plot. Cons: -No character creation or

Pros:
    -Fantastic open world design.
    -Challenging gameplay.
    -Home fort management system give you a purpose in the game.
    -Persistent side-missions system.
    -Survivors feel alive thanks to a generally good A.I and good voice acting.
    -Somewhat engaging plot.

Cons:
    -No character creation or appearance customization.
    -Some heavy frame rate and stuttering issue (especially while driving)
    -Occasional glitch like zombies getting stuck in walls or getting through walls.
    -Can get a bit repetitive after a while.
  79. Jun 7, 2013
    This game is truly amazing. I usually don't give praise around to releases like this... its buggy and the framerate is poor but in a way that doesnt affect gameplay. When zombies go through a wall or floor, they dont get STUCK, you can still hit em and then can walk to you still so nothing game breaking occurs, and after a while it feels natural. Everytime I feel like stopping to take aThis game is truly amazing. I usually don't give praise around to releases like this... its buggy and the framerate is poor but in a way that doesnt affect gameplay. When zombies go through a wall or floor, they dont get STUCK, you can still hit em and then can walk to you still so nothing game breaking occurs, and after a while it feels natural. Everytime I feel like stopping to take a break, after 1 hour, I feel like Ive been away for hours. Get this! Expand
  80. Jun 8, 2013
    AMAZING. Best XBLA game out there. TherFe is so much to do, so many things to try, so many missions/quest that are meaningful, tension and fear are high because of permanent death, I would even go as far to compare it to day z. Way better and more stable than day z in it's current state. Not to mention a lot more fun than surviving for 8 hours then getting sniped by some ass head campingAMAZING. Best XBLA game out there. TherFe is so much to do, so many things to try, so many missions/quest that are meaningful, tension and fear are high because of permanent death, I would even go as far to compare it to day z. Way better and more stable than day z in it's current state. Not to mention a lot more fun than surviving for 8 hours then getting sniped by some ass head camping on top of a water tower chuckling to himself (day z). 10/10 best game I have played in a long time. Expand
  81. Aug 15, 2013
    For a game with it's fair share of bugs and niggling little issues I really enjoyed my playthrough. It's got a fresh take on the way you explore and I liked the inclusion of being able to switch between characters due to the well implemented fatigue and damage mechanics. The storyline is 'safe' for a zombie survival game and the characters at least tried to have some personality. For anFor a game with it's fair share of bugs and niggling little issues I really enjoyed my playthrough. It's got a fresh take on the way you explore and I liked the inclusion of being able to switch between characters due to the well implemented fatigue and damage mechanics. The storyline is 'safe' for a zombie survival game and the characters at least tried to have some personality. For an arcade release I couldn't have expected much more. Expand
  82. Jun 11, 2013
    Fantastic game, better and much deeper than I ever expected. I've played several zombie games, but I find this one much more enjoyable than the big budget ones. Contrary to some of the criticism I've read on the net, I love the perma-death feature. Most games today are far too forgiving and as a result, don't create the tense moments that this game delivers. Perma-death will make you thinkFantastic game, better and much deeper than I ever expected. I've played several zombie games, but I find this one much more enjoyable than the big budget ones. Contrary to some of the criticism I've read on the net, I love the perma-death feature. Most games today are far too forgiving and as a result, don't create the tense moments that this game delivers. Perma-death will make you think twice before you attack a herd of zombies, or take a newbie character out far from the base. To the whiners about it being too hard, grow a pair. Great job Undead Labs! Expand
  83. Jun 8, 2013
    Perfect 10 this game is not, but I have it a 10 for the fact this game gave Me totally unique experiences I've never had in gaming & I've been gaming since original NES!!! So assuming you know what the game is about I'll set up the premise of My experience...I'm about 10-12hrs into the game, I've finally moved bases & My main character Marcus (the guy you start with) is fully maxed & aPerfect 10 this game is not, but I have it a 10 for the fact this game gave Me totally unique experiences I've never had in gaming & I've been gaming since original NES!!! So assuming you know what the game is about I'll set up the premise of My experience...I'm about 10-12hrs into the game, I've finally moved bases & My main character Marcus (the guy you start with) is fully maxed & a real badass. It's late night during the zombie apocalypse & I'm cruising in what looks like a sweet 67 chevelle ss or something similar. My car is slightly on fire but nowhere near exploding & I was being cautious avoiding zombies as to not further damage My sweet muscle car that I was planning on parking so My workshop could do some repairs overnight. Low & behold I'm going down a dark road & the frickin road runs out & I crash into a deep ravine upon which My car explodes & Marcus, the main zombie slayer of My crew, dies instantly. I was in utter shock. Once it wore off I realized how amazingly cool this game truly is for providing Me such a powerful moment in gaming history!!! Totally unique, never felt anything quite like it. I could of course just have continued without him, but therein lies the genius of State of Decay. I WANTED to start a new game, I wanted to take all My knowledge gained & apply it again in a fresh play through & make sure My main man Marcus didnt make such a painfully tragic mid-game death, & so I went back to menu & pressed "start new game" & was never happier to be replaying it all over again for a better result. Now about 8hrs in I'm further than I was before & Marcus is alive & kicking major ass!!! This game isn't technically flawless, but it has so much under the hood you can easily forgive a few scratches in the paint!!!

Please support Undead Labs!!!! This game MUST be added onto & made into the superb MMO it is meant to be!!!! Fair warning: atmosphere & emotion drive this game, if you are a boring person who finds no pleasure in danger, fear of death, & constant conflict in gaming then go back to your linear & predictable big-name franchises & let the game hold your hand til your dead. This is a balls-to-the-wall survival-horror rpg that plays like a run-down GTA. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! You may want to play some more CoD or Gears until you're 90, but I'm supporting FRESH IDEAS & the companies that TAKE RISKS to offer bold new gameplay!!!
  84. Jun 11, 2013
    State of Decay has shocked me. I was first skeptical about this game and was wondering whether the £14 price tag was really worth it, well let me tell you. You're in for a ride.

Free Roam, 3RD person, zombie apocalyptic atmosphere and all round brilliant game play mechanics make this game the perfect zombie game we have all been waiting for. Granted it is not perfect with the many bugs and various glitches but for £14 you are getting what you pay for and more. I would go as far to say that this game could have become a full retail game with a rescale of the map and a bit more content but at its standard at the moment, an arcade game going for £14 is perfect and just what consumers are looking for.

Of course, this game would have got a solid 10 from myself if it was not for the one thing every consumer has been begging for, they have emailed, posted on forums and petitioned for something you would think every zombie apocalyptic game would have... Co-Op. It is not there and needs to be, it is such a perfect game to incorporate co-op and is a real shame that was not released at launch, but we can all hold our breaths for a post-release update that will hopefully come our way that includes that game mode we are all waiting for.

That's it really, a great team of developers who are quick and responsive with a Title Update 1 coming just a couple of weeks after release. It is a perfect game at an even more perfect price.
  85. Jun 15, 2013
    -Graphics- 7/10. The graphics aren't the worst, but they aren't up to par with other Xbox 360 games. Still, the world is vast and beautiful (for a zombie apocalypse, that is), and nothing really looks the same. A lot of diversity with buildings.

-Performance- 7/10. This game has a lot of bugs and frame rate drops, especially while driving in a vehicle. Zombies are seen through walls and doors, and sometimes they are stuck, along with the playable characters. It isn't too distracting, though. Small bugs that really don't kill the game play.

-Game Play- 10/10. This is where it REALLY shines. You have an open world full of zombies, and there are a ton of things you are able to do. You have to scavenge for supplies to help your group of survive, and you always have missions to do, where you can kill zombies, rescue survivors, scavenge for something that your group wants, etc. But this is what really makes the game.

-Sound- 9/10. The sound is great. The zombies sound realistic, and they sound scary when you are trying to sneak around in a house, scavenging and what not. The Screamers really get you, when they let out a piercing scream when they see you. The sound is great for the game.

-Conclusion- Multiplayer really should be added, because it would really make this game a 9 or a 10. But I give it a solid 8/10. The bugs can get annoying at times, but aren't game breaking, and the graphics are definitely not up to par with current Xbox 360 games, but other than that, the game really shines, and is well worth the $20 for it.
  86. Jun 12, 2013
    Very intresting game. when i started playing i coundt stop for a few hours. And next day i started it over because of my stupidity which costed me the death of Maya and Marcus
  87. Jun 16, 2013
    For a $20 title this game has blown me away. This would be a 10/10 if I could play with friends online. I really hope the developer can use this as a gateway into a full blown Xbox (Xbox One) MMO style RPG in the future. I will pre-order if they ever announce one.
  88. Jun 7, 2013
    State of Decay brings much needed innovation and diversity to the survival horror genre by implementing so many features and executes them so well. A dynamic open world dynamic missions and events. The perfect mix of difficulty and fun along with managing a community of survivors and a bunker while switching between certain ones (which this game does not get credit for doing so well) andState of Decay brings much needed innovation and diversity to the survival horror genre by implementing so many features and executes them so well. A dynamic open world dynamic missions and events. The perfect mix of difficulty and fun along with managing a community of survivors and a bunker while switching between certain ones (which this game does not get credit for doing so well) and even an rpg system in place to make every playable character feel unique and not another person who can shoot guns and wave bats. The combat is serviceable and really feels like you are fighting zombies one or two at a time a steel pipe to the face can be enough. Five or more zeds and you shoot an I suppressed gun you can see yourself in an in winnable situation... And that's what survival horror has been trying to accomplish all this time. Now you can draw comparisons to dayZ but dayZ only provides the open world factor while state of decay has this (in a smaller package) it all has a plethora of other features that work really well. This game unlike many others today does no handholding so any reviews you read saying that the game does not execute its base building and community management features most likely doesn't take sometime to read and use some perception. This all being said the game suffers from minor clipping and pop ins when driving at high speeds but the technical blemishes can be easily overlooked especially for a game this fun and well executed the AI is intelligent the GI reviewer most likely was already compromised by zeds when he said his companions wouldn't sneak with him as the AI will do what is most reasonable for survival. Why another neat little thing is sending some of your survivors (some that can be switched into being played may I remind you) on supply runs well my runner was in a building surrounded by a horde but the AI took a long route home sneaking most of the way and even bringing a car back home! So those complaints are unfounded. If you can look past technical blemishes for a very open fleshed out constant fear-thrill ride that is state of decay chances are you'll be so caught up searching for supplies and running many missions to notice a zombie arm or a tree popping in. While these thing can get severe they happen rarely and personally to not get in the way of enjoying the unique forary into survival horror. If you're all about having a fun experience like you've never had before you won't even notice that zombie arm in a window. Expand
  89. Jun 8, 2013
    This game is definitely worth the 20$. There are so many different things to do in this open world zombie game, and it all affects you or the people you are surviving with. The game does have a slight learning curve to it but once you get past it (and the graphical problems at times) the game is worth much more than just 20$. The game is very time consuming and you can get attached to yourThis game is definitely worth the 20$. There are so many different things to do in this open world zombie game, and it all affects you or the people you are surviving with. The game does have a slight learning curve to it but once you get past it (and the graphical problems at times) the game is worth much more than just 20$. The game is very time consuming and you can get attached to your character(s). There is some great aspects, such as the perma-death feature, it makes it seem much more dangerous considering the fact that if you die with the character you are in you can't get them or their skills back, and have to use another character, you can still retrieve their items from their bodies though if you go to them. The combat is a good mix of melee and shooting, considering the fact that ammo will run out very fast you have the feeling that you need to make ammo count. The shelter that you can manage and manage the survivors within is another piece on this great game, as you must manage the people's needs, and help them if they get in a tough spot outside of the shelter, for they can also die. You can send other survivor to gather supplies however it is very risky. Over all the game is very time consuming, having all the tasks you must do to keep you and the other survivors alive, it is worth much more than 20$, and is a great game for any zombie game lovers out there. Expand
  90. Jun 9, 2013
    State of Decay is an awesome game. The huge open world, the tons of characters with unique traits, the fun of killing zombies, and the fear and suspense of sneaking around them. I've been waiting for a zombie game like this. One where you actually have to survive. There is a game on PC like this called DayZ except its not a game it's only a mod for a game which you need a good computer toState of Decay is an awesome game. The huge open world, the tons of characters with unique traits, the fun of killing zombies, and the fear and suspense of sneaking around them. I've been waiting for a zombie game like this. One where you actually have to survive. There is a game on PC like this called DayZ except its not a game it's only a mod for a game which you need a good computer to run. This is the closet thing to a true zombie apocalypse simulator you will find on consoles. It's like playing in The Walking Dead tv show, except the writing is not up to that level which is ok, because the gameplay is so entertaining. Graphically it's unimpressive. The graphics look outdated and there are some glitches which I rarely encountered. I think it's less of a lack of polish and more of that this game is so huge and is so ambitious and it mostly succeeds. But the graphical glitches certainly do not take away from the overall experience. One thing that does though, dumb AI. Other "survivors" or people in your community will constantly get in your way or randomly go missing where you have to track them down like a lost dog repetitively. Apparently these survivors of the apocalypse are to stupid to make it back home on their own or take shelter in a safe house or "outpost". I literally had a guy run out the gate of my community and it said he was missing. I don't know why the developers thought this would be enjoyable. There are other small things like there is no multiplayer as of yet but it could be brought later with an update, this game is practically yelling co-op. I would also like to see more types of weapons like bows and crossbows (so I can go Daryl Dixon on them zeds) and the ability to assign members of the community to go on missions and supply runs and patrol and wipe out hordes so I don't have to do everything. All in all these minor things and outdated graphics keep it from getting a perfect score but the sheer entertainment value gets it a 9. If this is Undead labs first shot at a game I can't wait to see what they do with their next game code named class4 until then, try not to get ripped apart Expand
  91. Jun 9, 2013
    The zombie game the masses have been waiting for. Yes, there are annoying glitches. Yes, there are graphical issues that cause frame-rate problems and pop in textures. Yes, some of the cut-scenes are hilariously bad. Yes, you can't bring survivors with you unless it is a specially designed mission. Fear not the developers are already pushing out a title update that will fix numerousThe zombie game the masses have been waiting for. Yes, there are annoying glitches. Yes, there are graphical issues that cause frame-rate problems and pop in textures. Yes, some of the cut-scenes are hilariously bad. Yes, you can't bring survivors with you unless it is a specially designed mission. Fear not the developers are already pushing out a title update that will fix numerous bugs. I respect your opinion to purchase games that you feel are worth it, but at $20 this is one of the best 10 games to come out this year regardless of platform.

The gameplay of State of Decay offers so much to a player. Do you love action games where your goal is to kill thousands of zombies? Check. Do you love simulation games where it is your job to manage resources and people? Check. Do you love action-rpg games? Check. Do you love open world games? Check. Do you love games that offer you choice on how to handle situations? Check.

The graphics have issues. That is probably limited to the size of the game (XBLA games have a 2 GB limit). However, the graphics are still above many other games and have some truly brilliant moments. The day/night cycle produce some backdrops and images that really show off the engine and the skills of Undead Labs.

I tried to keep this review under a 1,000 characters. (I failed). I attempted to point out all of the flaws of the game, so for anyone who reads the review, would know about some of the game's deficiencies. With that being said, State of Decay is an instant classic and hopefully will be the beginning of an amazing franchise. This game could easily have sold for much more and still been well worth it. Do yourself a favor and pick up State of Decay.
  92. Dec
    Jun 9, 2013
    Best zombie simulator game out there. Finally a game where you have to take everything in account and not just go shooting zombies with a mini gun with infinite ammo.
  93. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game! It offers a difficulty that is realistic and provides incentives for ingenuity, stealth, resource management, and combat prowess. The only reason I didn't give this game a higher rating than an 8/10 is that it does have some bugs, glitches, and it's fair share of technical problems. Seeing as how these problems are being addressed by the development team and they're also taking suggestions and input from the community on ways to improve the game further, I think I may give it an unofficial 9/10. I've read a few other reviews on here, and the ones who gave it a negative review (Disappointed246 and Hopry) I believe just didn't know how to play a game. Yes, it is difficult, but not impossible. I played through without a single casualty, other than those that were scripted. As for poor frame rate and less-than ultra-modern graphics, IT'S A FRICKIN $20 XBLA GAME! I've played commercial games that cost $60 and they were way worse than SoD, so get over it. They game is fantastic, difficult, and fun to play. I'd give it 3 thumbs up, but I'm not a freak. Enjoy! Expand
  94. Jun 9, 2013
    State of decay is basically if you took dead island mixed it with tell tale games walking dead and add a huge world to explore. It may have a rocky start but it is fun and addictive let me tell you why. Its one of the first zombie games Ive played that has rpg elements and type features. You may argue dead island has but that feels much more fake when state of decay gives you cardio andState of decay is basically if you took dead island mixed it with tell tale games walking dead and add a huge world to explore. It may have a rocky start but it is fun and addictive let me tell you why. Its one of the first zombie games Ive played that has rpg elements and type features. You may argue dead island has but that feels much more fake when state of decay gives you cardio and fighting and wits to make things easier for you if you get your wits up you search things fast. You also have a base with survivors that you need to take care of. You do this by going on supply runs which is my favorite part about this game exploring for supplies it captures the feel of a zombie apocalypse perfectly. It feels like zombieland more than anything. For example i was out in the forest when i came along a road and saw a supermarket across the street which had medicine and food i ran towards it when a horde spotted me i ran into the super market to be greeted with more i killed some grabbed the supplies ran outside found a truck and hightailed my ass out of there. Moments like these is what makes the game fun. But this game has some glitches and bugs holding it back a little once these get patched though its a 10 out of 10 game for me but even now i suggest you go and buy it its great Expand
  95. Jun 9, 2013
    This is actually a pretty fantastic game. There are some bugs that need to be worked out, but seriously what brand new game doesn't? The variation of the characters is pretty amazing (better than Walking Dead that's for sure) and you definitely feel connected to them and to the game. Weapons are nice and I love gathering essential items for everyday survival.
    Good Job UndeadLabs!!!!!
  96. Jun 9, 2013
    Some annoying flaws keep this game from being a sublime "true" horror-survival game. That said, its still one of the best zombie games. What it does attempt is great, and where it falters can be mostly fixed with a patch or three.
    The combat is functional, but not particularly fun. The zombies start off kind of laughable, but soon their ability to 'hear' you can draw waves of them to your current location. Some run, some jump for your neck. Its not so easy to get away. Two zombies is not such a chore, but a 'special' zombie or 4 regular ones (or more) and maybe discretion is the better part of valor.
    I disliked the rushed pace the missions were given to me, barking on the radio about them frequently and unlocking sometimes 5 at a time. Some missions have a shelf-life, but you don't know which ones will expire.

+positives
    The base building is pretty well done, many options and dealing with morale and moods
    Scavenging is fun and often needed
    Tons of items to hoard
    Many weapons, ranged and melee. They can break but there is a way to repair them.
    Its got a learning curve, and sometimes its hard, thats a good thing sometimes.

-negatives
    The lack of a wingman really hurts(or even a small team), you have to do nearly all the misisons alone.
    Radio girl wants you to do all the missions, NOW
    Some of the team building issues 'anger management' come up a bit too frequently
    Cars are fairly finite, but quite OP. Way better than grenades.
    Decent graphics, but zombies clip through walls, half-vanish through front porch, such oddities.
  97. Jun 9, 2013
    This game has been such a fun experience. I have been waiting for a game like this for ages. After playing Day Z and War Z this one felt just right. The thing that made this game different was that it actually had a story line. Also it had many different missions to do and you had to use your survival skills. Even the survivors had different back stories and you can even play as them. YourThis game has been such a fun experience. I have been waiting for a game like this for ages. After playing Day Z and War Z this one felt just right. The thing that made this game different was that it actually had a story line. Also it had many different missions to do and you had to use your survival skills. Even the survivors had different back stories and you can even play as them. Your base is also made your way. In fact the whole game is shaped on your choices! If you like anything that has zombies and a great story line then buy this game. Expand
  98. Jun 9, 2013
    Overall, I rate this game a 9.7 out of 10 based on a personal rating system. I strongly suggest buying this game if you like realistic survival-horror, zombies, or DayZ. I typically don’t return to games after completing them, but I will most likely be playing this game through a few times even after a completion.

The Seattle-based developer Undead Labs and legendary composer Jesper Kyd

The Seattle-based developer Undead Labs and legendary composer Jesper Kyd teamed up to “create the definitive zombie-survival game for gamers”, and I feel confident in saying they have done so. Between the many hours of gaming and the fantastic soundtrack, State of Decay sucks you in to the gaming experience so well that you will forget to eat or sleep. While not flawless, the game could easily become one of the best and most realistic zombie-survival games ever made.

Full review here: http://iyellatreviews.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/spoilers-ahead-a-review-of-state-of-decay/
  99. Jul 11, 2013
    One of the best downloadable games I've played. It is really realistic, not to DayZ standards, but still great. Wish it had coop though, would make it a lot better
  100. Jun 11, 2013
    To start with, I've been following this game for some time now, eagerly awaiting its arrival long before it was still known as "class3". And i am extremely pleased with what came out of that wait.
    This game is a Xbox Live ARCADE game, many people seem to be forgetting this fact.
    this game does have some flaws (as every other game out there does) but has many brilliant moments to it too.
    To start with the major problem with me was that I felt somewhat rushed while playing the game. Certain resources seemed a little tight at the beginning (ammo and materials) and finding them (especially ammo) took some time, time that I couldn't really spare due to trying to rescue missing survivors, helping people hunt freaks and all the other timed missions that kept popping up every 10-20 minutes of play. I just think that if they need help doing these things, don't leave the house on your own to take down a 10 foot behemoth who wins in a head on collision with a truck...
    Another little annoyance was the bases themselves, only one watchtower per base and you cant even choose who is assigned to it, if i get the choice of putting a guy with a rifle and a guy with a sawn-off i think I'll choose the first, yet I constantly kept finding the latter up there because the rifle wielder had run off to kill a "freak that could be a problem" despite said freak being a full 5 minutes drive away. Little annoyances. Nothing gamebreaking though. And certainly nothing that stopped the game being fun, i mean, yes i did find myself on the long road to the Wilkerson's killing freaks alot more than in town finding food for everyone, but shooting an armless freak in the face before barreling over his posse in my pizza delivery car still brought a smile to my sadistic face.
    Now onto the good.
    extremely beautiful game, ARCADE game remember. yes the frame rate would dip if there were over 15 zed's and a survivor onscreen, its just an incentive to thin their numbers quicker, its a game that you payed £14 or $20 for, don't complain about a little lag every now and then. The animations were very varied and extensive, the RPG element was very detailed (maybe a little overlooked but still certain skills were definitely helpful in a pinch) The story progression was a little strange, waiting for your radio to go off with a new voice shouting a new problem at you, but it still flowed very well.
    All in all State of Decay is an amazing instalment to XBLA, and owning it should be a necessity for everyone who likes zombie games.
    Cant wait to see how the near patches will alter the game, and of course, multiplayer is in the future.
    Well done Undead Labs, your little arcade game has been as fun and in some ways more fun that most full console games of the same genre.
  101. Jun 5, 2013
    The controls are pretty good, though you cant change the sensitivity.

The negatives are the reason I "only" give 8.5 out of 10:

- you cant adjust brightness in-game
    - some really heavy stuttering sometimes especially when driving in a car )
    - many little bugs but nothing big )
    - some frame drops even with the low-level graphics

1. Oct 7, 2013
    An entertaining zombie apocalypse sandbox. It's a bit rough visually, but makes up for it with a persistent world. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    It's not the most beautiful and polished game, but the end of the world with all it’s small and big problems rarely felt this real.
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    The Last of Us meets The Sims, mashed, salted and served with a few lumps. [Oct 2013, p.64]