State of Decay Xbox 360

7.2

1. Jul 25, 2013
    Without a doubt this game deserves a good rating, its a combination of all the good zombie game elements. It's got the RTS feeling to it where you have to establish safe havens for other survivors, and for people who are looking for action.. there are zombies around just about every corner. The game also has quite a few horror elements. People who are looking for a game with a lot ofWithout a doubt this game deserves a good rating, its a combination of all the good zombie game elements. It's got the RTS feeling to it where you have to establish safe havens for other survivors, and for people who are looking for action.. there are zombies around just about every corner. The game also has quite a few horror elements. People who are looking for a game with a lot of content are not going to be let down by State of Decay there is a plethora of weapons of all kinds, vehicles, and survivors to mingle with. However this game does come with a few bugs, but if you can see past them this game really does become enjoyable. You can play as just about anybody that you befriend. Speaking of people the game introduces you to life-like people, with their own struggles and emotions, one time I really started to like one of my survivors and while playing as her she was brutally killed in combat- it really hit me like nothing else really has. This just goes to show you how diverse and in-depth the game really goes....

It doesn't stop there new features are going to be introduced to the game including Sandbox Mode, Multiplayer, and a port to PC.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    Ok this game I could not wait for I was so excited and it came out. I played it a lot it was super fun. Then I started to get overwhelmed with missions and things to do and became too much. This is a good game, and the asking price is not much so if you don't have a ps3 too get The Last Of Us which is way better get this game it is a good zombie game 7.5/10
  3. Jul 21, 2013
    In my last review.. I stated that you can't drive in the game. My apologizes. You can drive in the game. I just wish that there was more variety in the vehicles that you can drive. The game is so broken that it is a blast to play through. Anyway... the game is funny and exciting so definitely give this game a shot!
  4. Jun 7, 2013
    This is the kind of zombie game that ive been waiting for in so many years. In short.

Pros: -Fantastic open world design. -Challenging gameplay. -Home fort management system give you a purpose in the game. -Persistent side-missions system. -Survivors feel alive thanks to a generally good A.I and good voice acting. -Somewhat engaging plot. Cons: -No character creation or

Pros:
    -Fantastic open world design.
    -Challenging gameplay.
    -Home fort management system give you a purpose in the game.
    -Persistent side-missions system.
    -Survivors feel alive thanks to a generally good A.I and good voice acting.
    -Somewhat engaging plot.

Cons:
    -No character creation or appearance customization.
    -Some heavy frame rate and stuttering issue (especially while driving)
    -Occasional glitch like zombies getting stuck in walls or getting through walls.
    -Can get a bit repetitive after a while.
  5. Jun 7, 2013
    This game is truly amazing. I usually don't give praise around to releases like this... its buggy and the framerate is poor but in a way that doesnt affect gameplay. When zombies go through a wall or floor, they dont get STUCK, you can still hit em and then can walk to you still so nothing game breaking occurs, and after a while it feels natural. Everytime I feel like stopping to take aThis game is truly amazing. I usually don't give praise around to releases like this... its buggy and the framerate is poor but in a way that doesnt affect gameplay. When zombies go through a wall or floor, they dont get STUCK, you can still hit em and then can walk to you still so nothing game breaking occurs, and after a while it feels natural. Everytime I feel like stopping to take a break, after 1 hour, I feel like Ive been away for hours. Get this! Expand
  6. Jun 8, 2013
    AMAZING. Best XBLA game out there. TherFe is so much to do, so many things to try, so many missions/quest that are meaningful, tension and fear are high because of permanent death, I would even go as far to compare it to day z. Way better and more stable than day z in it's current state. Not to mention a lot more fun than surviving for 8 hours then getting sniped by some ass head campingAMAZING. Best XBLA game out there. TherFe is so much to do, so many things to try, so many missions/quest that are meaningful, tension and fear are high because of permanent death, I would even go as far to compare it to day z. Way better and more stable than day z in it's current state. Not to mention a lot more fun than surviving for 8 hours then getting sniped by some ass head camping on top of a water tower chuckling to himself (day z). 10/10 best game I have played in a long time. Expand
  7. Aug 15, 2013
    For a game with it's fair share of bugs and niggling little issues I really enjoyed my playthrough. It's got a fresh take on the way you explore and I liked the inclusion of being able to switch between characters due to the well implemented fatigue and damage mechanics. The storyline is 'safe' for a zombie survival game and the characters at least tried to have some personality. For anFor a game with it's fair share of bugs and niggling little issues I really enjoyed my playthrough. It's got a fresh take on the way you explore and I liked the inclusion of being able to switch between characters due to the well implemented fatigue and damage mechanics. The storyline is 'safe' for a zombie survival game and the characters at least tried to have some personality. For an arcade release I couldn't have expected much more. Expand
  8. Jun 11, 2013
    Fantastic game, better and much deeper than I ever expected. I've played several zombie games, but I find this one much more enjoyable than the big budget ones. Contrary to some of the criticism I've read on the net, I love the perma-death feature. Most games today are far too forgiving and as a result, don't create the tense moments that this game delivers. Perma-death will make you thinkFantastic game, better and much deeper than I ever expected. I've played several zombie games, but I find this one much more enjoyable than the big budget ones. Contrary to some of the criticism I've read on the net, I love the perma-death feature. Most games today are far too forgiving and as a result, don't create the tense moments that this game delivers. Perma-death will make you think twice before you attack a herd of zombies, or take a newbie character out far from the base. To the whiners about it being too hard, grow a pair. Great job Undead Labs! Expand
  9. Jun 8, 2013
    Perfect 10 this game is not, but I have it a 10 for the fact this game gave Me totally unique experiences I've never had in gaming & I've been gaming since original NES!!! So assuming you know what the game is about I'll set up the premise of My experience...I'm about 10-12hrs into the game, I've finally moved bases & My main character Marcus (the guy you start with) is fully maxed & aPerfect 10 this game is not, but I have it a 10 for the fact this game gave Me totally unique experiences I've never had in gaming & I've been gaming since original NES!!! So assuming you know what the game is about I'll set up the premise of My experience...I'm about 10-12hrs into the game, I've finally moved bases & My main character Marcus (the guy you start with) is fully maxed & a real badass. It's late night during the zombie apocalypse & I'm cruising in what looks like a sweet 67 chevelle ss or something similar. My car is slightly on fire but nowhere near exploding & I was being cautious avoiding zombies as to not further damage My sweet muscle car that I was planning on parking so My workshop could do some repairs overnight. Low & behold I'm going down a dark road & the frickin road runs out & I crash into a deep ravine upon which My car explodes & Marcus, the main zombie slayer of My crew, dies instantly. I was in utter shock. Once it wore off I realized how amazingly cool this game truly is for providing Me such a powerful moment in gaming history!!! Totally unique, never felt anything quite like it. I could of course just have continued without him, but therein lies the genius of State of Decay. I WANTED to start a new game, I wanted to take all My knowledge gained & apply it again in a fresh play through & make sure My main man Marcus didnt make such a painfully tragic mid-game death, & so I went back to menu & pressed "start new game" & was never happier to be replaying it all over again for a better result. Now about 8hrs in I'm further than I was before & Marcus is alive & kicking major ass!!! This game isn't technically flawless, but it has so much under the hood you can easily forgive a few scratches in the paint!!!

Please support Undead Labs!!!! This game MUST be added onto & made into the superb MMO it is meant to be!!!! Fair warning: atmosphere & emotion drive this game, if you are a boring person who finds no pleasure in danger, fear of death, & constant conflict in gaming then go back to your linear & predictable big-name franchises & let the game hold your hand til your dead. This is a balls-to-the-wall survival-horror rpg that plays like a run-down GTA. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! You may want to play some more CoD or Gears until you're 90, but I'm supporting FRESH IDEAS & the companies that TAKE RISKS to offer bold new gameplay!!!
  10. Jun 18, 2013
    First thing first: State of Decay is an XBOX Live Arcade game. And when I say it I mean: ARCADE. GAME. It's simple, ugly, low-budget, choppy, with a horrible engine. Now, even after that, State of Decay manages to bring a compelling open-world, with many characters and iterations in the story. One doesn't feel like one's surviving (I blame single player for that) like in other gamesFirst thing first: State of Decay is an XBOX Live Arcade game. And when I say it I mean: ARCADE. GAME. It's simple, ugly, low-budget, choppy, with a horrible engine. Now, even after that, State of Decay manages to bring a compelling open-world, with many characters and iterations in the story. One doesn't feel like one's surviving (I blame single player for that) like in other games (DayZ, The War Z, etc). It's more like a smash-n-grab looting simulator placed in a zombie apocalypse. A kind of Grand Theft Auto meets Left 4 Dead, but not quite. It has something more. Something that adds replayability. And that's a very important factor in an XBOX Live Arcade game, specially for one worth 20 bucks. It makes you come back to check on it after a while.

I'd say "grab it while on sale" but XBOX doesn't have any sales unless you're gold, and chances are it won't be on sale any time soon so I'l say "grab it if you're a zombie fan".
  11. Jun 11, 2013
    State of Decay has shocked me. I was first skeptical about this game and was wondering whether the £14 price tag was really worth it, well let me tell you. You're in for a ride.

Free Roam, 3RD person, zombie apocalyptic atmosphere and all round brilliant game play mechanics make this game the perfect zombie game we have all been waiting for. Granted it is not perfect with the many bugs and various glitches but for £14 you are getting what you pay for and more. I would go as far to say that this game could have become a full retail game with a rescale of the map and a bit more content but at its standard at the moment, an arcade game going for £14 is perfect and just what consumers are looking for.

Of course, this game would have got a solid 10 from myself if it was not for the one thing every consumer has been begging for, they have emailed, posted on forums and petitioned for something you would think every zombie apocalyptic game would have... Co-Op. It is not there and needs to be, it is such a perfect game to incorporate co-op and is a real shame that was not released at launch, but we can all hold our breaths for a post-release update that will hopefully come our way that includes that game mode we are all waiting for.

That's it really, a great team of developers who are quick and responsive with a Title Update 1 coming just a couple of weeks after release. It is a perfect game at an even more perfect price.
  12. Jun 15, 2013
    -Graphics- 7/10. The graphics aren't the worst, but they aren't up to par with other Xbox 360 games. Still, the world is vast and beautiful (for a zombie apocalypse, that is), and nothing really looks the same. A lot of diversity with buildings.

-Performance- 7/10. This game has a lot of bugs and frame rate drops, especially while driving in a vehicle. Zombies are seen through walls and doors, and sometimes they are stuck, along with the playable characters. It isn't too distracting, though. Small bugs that really don't kill the game play.

-Game Play- 10/10. This is where it REALLY shines. You have an open world full of zombies, and there are a ton of things you are able to do. You have to scavenge for supplies to help your group of survive, and you always have missions to do, where you can kill zombies, rescue survivors, scavenge for something that your group wants, etc. But this is what really makes the game.

-Sound- 9/10. The sound is great. The zombies sound realistic, and they sound scary when you are trying to sneak around in a house, scavenging and what not. The Screamers really get you, when they let out a piercing scream when they see you. The sound is great for the game.

-Conclusion- Multiplayer really should be added, because it would really make this game a 9 or a 10. But I give it a solid 8/10. The bugs can get annoying at times, but aren't game breaking, and the graphics are definitely not up to par with current Xbox 360 games, but other than that, the game really shines, and is well worth the $20 for it.
  13. Jun 12, 2013
    Very intresting game. when i started playing i coundt stop for a few hours. And next day i started it over because of my stupidity which costed me the death of Maya and Marcus
  14. Jun 16, 2013
    For a $20 title this game has blown me away. This would be a 10/10 if I could play with friends online. I really hope the developer can use this as a gateway into a full blown Xbox (Xbox One) MMO style RPG in the future. I will pre-order if they ever announce one.
  15. Jun 7, 2013
    State of Decay brings much needed innovation and diversity to the survival horror genre by implementing so many features and executes them so well. A dynamic open world dynamic missions and events. The perfect mix of difficulty and fun along with managing a community of survivors and a bunker while switching between certain ones (which this game does not get credit for doing so well) andState of Decay brings much needed innovation and diversity to the survival horror genre by implementing so many features and executes them so well. A dynamic open world dynamic missions and events. The perfect mix of difficulty and fun along with managing a community of survivors and a bunker while switching between certain ones (which this game does not get credit for doing so well) and even an rpg system in place to make every playable character feel unique and not another person who can shoot guns and wave bats. The combat is serviceable and really feels like you are fighting zombies one or two at a time a steel pipe to the face can be enough. Five or more zeds and you shoot an I suppressed gun you can see yourself in an in winnable situation... And that's what survival horror has been trying to accomplish all this time. Now you can draw comparisons to dayZ but dayZ only provides the open world factor while state of decay has this (in a smaller package) it all has a plethora of other features that work really well. This game unlike many others today does no handholding so any reviews you read saying that the game does not execute its base building and community management features most likely doesn't take sometime to read and use some perception. This all being said the game suffers from minor clipping and pop ins when driving at high speeds but the technical blemishes can be easily overlooked especially for a game this fun and well executed the AI is intelligent the GI reviewer most likely was already compromised by zeds when he said his companions wouldn't sneak with him as the AI will do what is most reasonable for survival. Why another neat little thing is sending some of your survivors (some that can be switched into being played may I remind you) on supply runs well my runner was in a building surrounded by a horde but the AI took a long route home sneaking most of the way and even bringing a car back home! So those complaints are unfounded. If you can look past technical blemishes for a very open fleshed out constant fear-thrill ride that is state of decay chances are you'll be so caught up searching for supplies and running many missions to notice a zombie arm or a tree popping in. While these thing can get severe they happen rarely and personally to not get in the way of enjoying the unique forary into survival horror. If you're all about having a fun experience like you've never had before you won't even notice that zombie arm in a window. Expand
  16. Jun 8, 2013
    This game is definitely worth the 20$. There are so many different things to do in this open world zombie game, and it all affects you or the people you are surviving with. The game does have a slight learning curve to it but once you get past it (and the graphical problems at times) the game is worth much more than just 20$. The game is very time consuming and you can get attached to yourThis game is definitely worth the 20$. There are so many different things to do in this open world zombie game, and it all affects you or the people you are surviving with. The game does have a slight learning curve to it but once you get past it (and the graphical problems at times) the game is worth much more than just 20$. The game is very time consuming and you can get attached to your character(s). There is some great aspects, such as the perma-death feature, it makes it seem much more dangerous considering the fact that if you die with the character you are in you can't get them or their skills back, and have to use another character, you can still retrieve their items from their bodies though if you go to them. The combat is a good mix of melee and shooting, considering the fact that ammo will run out very fast you have the feeling that you need to make ammo count. The shelter that you can manage and manage the survivors within is another piece on this great game, as you must manage the people's needs, and help them if they get in a tough spot outside of the shelter, for they can also die. You can send other survivor to gather supplies however it is very risky. Over all the game is very time consuming, having all the tasks you must do to keep you and the other survivors alive, it is worth much more than 20$, and is a great game for any zombie game lovers out there. Expand
  17. Jun 9, 2013
    State of Decay is an awesome game. The huge open world, the tons of characters with unique traits, the fun of killing zombies, and the fear and suspense of sneaking around them. I've been waiting for a zombie game like this. One where you actually have to survive. There is a game on PC like this called DayZ except its not a game it's only a mod for a game which you need a good computer toState of Decay is an awesome game. The huge open world, the tons of characters with unique traits, the fun of killing zombies, and the fear and suspense of sneaking around them. I've been waiting for a zombie game like this. One where you actually have to survive. There is a game on PC like this called DayZ except its not a game it's only a mod for a game which you need a good computer to run. This is the closet thing to a true zombie apocalypse simulator you will find on consoles. It's like playing in The Walking Dead tv show, except the writing is not up to that level which is ok, because the gameplay is so entertaining. Graphically it's unimpressive. The graphics look outdated and there are some glitches which I rarely encountered. I think it's less of a lack of polish and more of that this game is so huge and is so ambitious and it mostly succeeds. But the graphical glitches certainly do not take away from the overall experience. One thing that does though, dumb AI. Other "survivors" or people in your community will constantly get in your way or randomly go missing where you have to track them down like a lost dog repetitively. Apparently these survivors of the apocalypse are to stupid to make it back home on their own or take shelter in a safe house or "outpost". I literally had a guy run out the gate of my community and it said he was missing. I don't know why the developers thought this would be enjoyable. There are other small things like there is no multiplayer as of yet but it could be brought later with an update, this game is practically yelling co-op. I would also like to see more types of weapons like bows and crossbows (so I can go Daryl Dixon on them zeds) and the ability to assign members of the community to go on missions and supply runs and patrol and wipe out hordes so I don't have to do everything. All in all these minor things and outdated graphics keep it from getting a perfect score but the sheer entertainment value gets it a 9. If this is Undead labs first shot at a game I can't wait to see what they do with their next game code named class4 until then, try not to get ripped apart Expand
  18. Jun 9, 2013
    The zombie game the masses have been waiting for. Yes, there are annoying glitches. Yes, there are graphical issues that cause frame-rate problems and pop in textures. Yes, some of the cut-scenes are hilariously bad. Yes, you can't bring survivors with you unless it is a specially designed mission. Fear not the developers are already pushing out a title update that will fix numerousThe zombie game the masses have been waiting for. Yes, there are annoying glitches. Yes, there are graphical issues that cause frame-rate problems and pop in textures. Yes, some of the cut-scenes are hilariously bad. Yes, you can't bring survivors with you unless it is a specially designed mission. Fear not the developers are already pushing out a title update that will fix numerous bugs. I respect your opinion to purchase games that you feel are worth it, but at $20 this is one of the best 10 games to come out this year regardless of platform.

The gameplay of State of Decay offers so much to a player. Do you love action games where your goal is to kill thousands of zombies? Check. Do you love simulation games where it is your job to manage resources and people? Check. Do you love action-rpg games? Check. Do you love open world games? Check. Do you love games that offer you choice on how to handle situations? Check.

The graphics have issues. That is probably limited to the size of the game (XBLA games have a 2 GB limit). However, the graphics are still above many other games and have some truly brilliant moments. The day/night cycle produce some backdrops and images that really show off the engine and the skills of Undead Labs.

I tried to keep this review under a 1,000 characters. (I failed). I attempted to point out all of the flaws of the game, so for anyone who reads the review, would know about some of the game's deficiencies. With that being said, State of Decay is an instant classic and hopefully will be the beginning of an amazing franchise. This game could easily have sold for much more and still been well worth it. Do yourself a favor and pick up State of Decay.
  19. Dec
    Jun 9, 2013
    Best zombie simulator game out there. Finally a game where you have to take everything in account and not just go shooting zombies with a mini gun with infinite ammo.
  20. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game! It offers a difficulty that is realistic and provides incentives for ingenuity, stealth, resource management, and combat prowess. The only reason I didn't give this game a higher rating than an 8/10 is that it does have some bugs, glitches, and it's fair share of technical problems. Seeing as how these problems are being addressed by the development team and they're also taking suggestions and input from the community on ways to improve the game further, I think I may give it an unofficial 9/10. I've read a few other reviews on here, and the ones who gave it a negative review (Disappointed246 and Hopry) I believe just didn't know how to play a game. Yes, it is difficult, but not impossible. I played through without a single casualty, other than those that were scripted. As for poor frame rate and less-than ultra-modern graphics, IT'S A FRICKIN $20 XBLA GAME! I've played commercial games that cost $60 and they were way worse than SoD, so get over it. They game is fantastic, difficult, and fun to play. I'd give it 3 thumbs up, but I'm not a freak. Enjoy! Expand
  21. Jun 9, 2013
    State of decay is basically if you took dead island mixed it with tell tale games walking dead and add a huge world to explore. It may have a rocky start but it is fun and addictive let me tell you why. Its one of the first zombie games Ive played that has rpg elements and type features. You may argue dead island has but that feels much more fake when state of decay gives you cardio andState of decay is basically if you took dead island mixed it with tell tale games walking dead and add a huge world to explore. It may have a rocky start but it is fun and addictive let me tell you why. Its one of the first zombie games Ive played that has rpg elements and type features. You may argue dead island has but that feels much more fake when state of decay gives you cardio and fighting and wits to make things easier for you if you get your wits up you search things fast. You also have a base with survivors that you need to take care of. You do this by going on supply runs which is my favorite part about this game exploring for supplies it captures the feel of a zombie apocalypse perfectly. It feels like zombieland more than anything. For example i was out in the forest when i came along a road and saw a supermarket across the street which had medicine and food i ran towards it when a horde spotted me i ran into the super market to be greeted with more i killed some grabbed the supplies ran outside found a truck and hightailed my ass out of there. Moments like these is what makes the game fun. But this game has some glitches and bugs holding it back a little once these get patched though its a 10 out of 10 game for me but even now i suggest you go and buy it its great Expand
  22. Jun 9, 2013
    This is actually a pretty fantastic game. There are some bugs that need to be worked out, but seriously what brand new game doesn't? The variation of the characters is pretty amazing (better than Walking Dead that's for sure) and you definitely feel connected to them and to the game. Weapons are nice and I love gathering essential items for everyday survival.
    Good Job UndeadLabs!!!!!
  23. Jun 9, 2013
    Some annoying flaws keep this game from being a sublime "true" horror-survival game. That said, its still one of the best zombie games. What it does attempt is great, and where it falters can be mostly fixed with a patch or three.
    The combat is functional, but not particularly fun. The zombies start off kind of laughable, but soon their ability to 'hear' you can draw waves of them to your current location. Some run, some jump for your neck. Its not so easy to get away. Two zombies is not such a chore, but a 'special' zombie or 4 regular ones (or more) and maybe discretion is the better part of valor.
    I disliked the rushed pace the missions were given to me, barking on the radio about them frequently and unlocking sometimes 5 at a time. Some missions have a shelf-life, but you don't know which ones will expire.

+positives
    The base building is pretty well done, many options and dealing with morale and moods
    Scavenging is fun and often needed
    Tons of items to hoard
    Many weapons, ranged and melee. They can break but there is a way to repair them.
    Its got a learning curve, and sometimes its hard, thats a good thing sometimes.

-negatives
    The lack of a wingman really hurts(or even a small team), you have to do nearly all the misisons alone.
    Radio girl wants you to do all the missions, NOW
    Some of the team building issues 'anger management' come up a bit too frequently
    Cars are fairly finite, but quite OP. Way better than grenades.
    Decent graphics, but zombies clip through walls, half-vanish through front porch, such oddities.
  24. Jun 9, 2013
    This game has been such a fun experience. I have been waiting for a game like this for ages. After playing Day Z and War Z this one felt just right. The thing that made this game different was that it actually had a story line. Also it had many different missions to do and you had to use your survival skills. Even the survivors had different back stories and you can even play as them. YourThis game has been such a fun experience. I have been waiting for a game like this for ages. After playing Day Z and War Z this one felt just right. The thing that made this game different was that it actually had a story line. Also it had many different missions to do and you had to use your survival skills. Even the survivors had different back stories and you can even play as them. Your base is also made your way. In fact the whole game is shaped on your choices! If you like anything that has zombies and a great story line then buy this game. Expand
  25. Jun 9, 2013
    Overall, I rate this game a 9.7 out of 10 based on a personal rating system. I strongly suggest buying this game if you like realistic survival-horror, zombies, or DayZ. I typically don’t return to games after completing them, but I will most likely be playing this game through a few times even after a completion.

The Seattle-based developer Undead Labs and legendary composer Jesper Kyd

The Seattle-based developer Undead Labs and legendary composer Jesper Kyd teamed up to “create the definitive zombie-survival game for gamers”, and I feel confident in saying they have done so. Between the many hours of gaming and the fantastic soundtrack, State of Decay sucks you in to the gaming experience so well that you will forget to eat or sleep. While not flawless, the game could easily become one of the best and most realistic zombie-survival games ever made.

Full review here: http://iyellatreviews.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/spoilers-ahead-a-review-of-state-of-decay/
  26. Jul 11, 2013
    One of the best downloadable games I've played. It is really realistic, not to DayZ standards, but still great. Wish it had coop though, would make it a lot better
  27. Jun 11, 2013
    To start with, I've been following this game for some time now, eagerly awaiting its arrival long before it was still known as "class3". And i am extremely pleased with what came out of that wait.
    This game is a Xbox Live ARCADE game, many people seem to be forgetting this fact.
    this game does have some flaws (as every other game out there does) but has many brilliant moments to it too.
    To start with the major problem with me was that I felt somewhat rushed while playing the game. Certain resources seemed a little tight at the beginning (ammo and materials) and finding them (especially ammo) took some time, time that I couldn't really spare due to trying to rescue missing survivors, helping people hunt freaks and all the other timed missions that kept popping up every 10-20 minutes of play. I just think that if they need help doing these things, don't leave the house on your own to take down a 10 foot behemoth who wins in a head on collision with a truck...
    Another little annoyance was the bases themselves, only one watchtower per base and you cant even choose who is assigned to it, if i get the choice of putting a guy with a rifle and a guy with a sawn-off i think I'll choose the first, yet I constantly kept finding the latter up there because the rifle wielder had run off to kill a "freak that could be a problem" despite said freak being a full 5 minutes drive away. Little annoyances. Nothing gamebreaking though. And certainly nothing that stopped the game being fun, i mean, yes i did find myself on the long road to the Wilkerson's killing freaks alot more than in town finding food for everyone, but shooting an armless freak in the face before barreling over his posse in my pizza delivery car still brought a smile to my sadistic face.
    Now onto the good.
    extremely beautiful game, ARCADE game remember. yes the frame rate would dip if there were over 15 zed's and a survivor onscreen, its just an incentive to thin their numbers quicker, its a game that you payed £14 or $20 for, don't complain about a little lag every now and then. The animations were very varied and extensive, the RPG element was very detailed (maybe a little overlooked but still certain skills were definitely helpful in a pinch) The story progression was a little strange, waiting for your radio to go off with a new voice shouting a new problem at you, but it still flowed very well.
    All in all State of Decay is an amazing instalment to XBLA, and owning it should be a necessity for everyone who likes zombie games.
    Cant wait to see how the near patches will alter the game, and of course, multiplayer is in the future.
    Well done Undead Labs, your little arcade game has been as fun and in some ways more fun that most full console games of the same genre.
  28. Jun 11, 2013
    This is the best zombie game to be made.16km to explore, fight, and hunt for along having random quests giving to you at anytime. The game is also really hard that is when the stealth element comes in. in order to survive you must use stealth. Now the content where do I begin on the content there is so many things to do like finding survivors, looking for guns and ammo, and so much more.This is the best zombie game to be made.16km to explore, fight, and hunt for along having random quests giving to you at anytime. The game is also really hard that is when the stealth element comes in. in order to survive you must use stealth. Now the content where do I begin on the content there is so many things to do like finding survivors, looking for guns and ammo, and so much more. The game does so much right but of course even the best games have problems let look over the problems. sometimes it may lag and thats about it.
    Pros
    Great graphics
    fun gameplay
    huge world
    lots of content
    and more
    CONS
    lag
    The score
    Even though it lags sometimes, The content is amazing and it is so much fun. I would give this awesome game a 9/10. BTW this is not on PC or PS3 and it is not on disc it is a XBLA (Xbox live arcade) game which means it is a downloable game. And it is only like 15$ (which is about 1600 Microsoft points)
  29. Jun 11, 2013
    I'm really down with the whole realistic zombie survival thing we have going at the moment across most platforms. This game while undeniably buggy in places does a very good job at making the tension run high due to prema death. After you work on a character for quite a few hours and lose them it feels like that time u lost your best man in Xcom. where the game seems to fall short is the aI'm really down with the whole realistic zombie survival thing we have going at the moment across most platforms. This game while undeniably buggy in places does a very good job at making the tension run high due to prema death. After you work on a character for quite a few hours and lose them it feels like that time u lost your best man in Xcom. where the game seems to fall short is the a few menu systems. The whole build up your home base idea is fantastic but a little confusing at first. Put it this way i knew i had to get mats to build with and i knew the mats were the little blocks in the menu screen. but i wasnt quite sure where to get them. I finally realized after exploration i needed to get the bulk from building sites and such which is pretty obvious when i think about it. But there was nothing that told me this in the beginning (at least nothing i noticed) i only found out after exploration which is also great but there was still no hint at this. Now im not saying i need my hand held through all games i play not at all i love the freedom its great. The thing is these things don't stand out when they are an integral part of the game. a casual gamer will just skim the surface of these things and not look twice. And this is a shame because this adds so much more depth to the game. On the side of glitches i never really ran into game breakers. Although i did have a glitch where on of my towns people i sent on a mission to pick up supplies. It was just after u move to the church and she moved all the way to the top of the map i didn't tell here to go here) and just stayed there. I went up to find her and she was just standing there till i arrived at which point she ran into a wall and stayed there. She did not come back to the home town again till i moved base again. Like i said not game breaking but very frustrating. Also had a few zombies with bad path-finding similar to that of day Z but still not to bad. that's the bad done so now onto the good. I really liked the looting system the fact u could rush the process but it makes more noise and attracts more Zs very cool. The freedom of the map was excellent, being able to go into every building i found was very satisfying in a exploration sense. The building of your base as confusing as it could be was great and the stat boost that came with it was very welcome. The leveling system was similar to that of skyrim, use a skill more often and you'll level it up faster. And perma death like i said earlier, i love perma death i think it adds a tension you cant get any other way. any game with this option i always use it and to then move onto a new character when you die and have to run back to grab the loot from the dead player was great. all in all i really enjoyed my time here with a few minor bug fixes this game could be much better. But in the end its a fantastic zombie survival game if your not sick of bashing in zombies brains and shooting them in the face this is a must have Expand
  30. Jun 11, 2013
    Probably one of the best games I have played in a while especially for the price. Of course a $20 game will have its fair share of glitches but they don't affect your gameplay at all. Extremely time consuming and very addicting. The only thing I found frustrating was the length of night. I do think that the game would have been a lot better if it was multiplayer which I heard a rumor thatProbably one of the best games I have played in a while especially for the price. Of course a $20 game will have its fair share of glitches but they don't affect your gameplay at all. Extremely time consuming and very addicting. The only thing I found frustrating was the length of night. I do think that the game would have been a lot better if it was multiplayer which I heard a rumor that they were making and I hope that its true Definitely the best zombie game I have ever played. Would have been cool if you could pick up weapons of the ground like Dead Rising but that's just my opinion all in all amazing game that you can play over and over again and I would not hesitate recommending this to anyone, unless you don't like gore cuz this game is pretty brutal at some times. If u r considering buying this game DO IT! It is definitely worth the money Expand
  31. Jun 12, 2013
    A great game for any survival open-world zombie fan. The game starts out very quick and the controls and inventory system are a little bit challenging to get used too, but it gets easier along the way. I got this game a few days ago and already packed in 15 hours and I am not even finished. The game is only 20$ and I believe will eventually get a PC port. I have also heard rumors of aA great game for any survival open-world zombie fan. The game starts out very quick and the controls and inventory system are a little bit challenging to get used too, but it gets easier along the way. I got this game a few days ago and already packed in 15 hours and I am not even finished. The game is only 20$ and I believe will eventually get a PC port. I have also heard rumors of a multiplayer update. Expand
  32. Jun 12, 2013
    IF you love zombies or survival games GET THIS NOW!! the game is very realistic to the zombie mythos. the story is not the best. There are a lot of glitches like zombies clipping through walls and windows. that also happens with your partner. there is so much to explore like a couple farmhouses small homes gas stations and a city hall. the guns is the game seem underpowered every time iIF you love zombies or survival games GET THIS NOW!! the game is very realistic to the zombie mythos. the story is not the best. There are a lot of glitches like zombies clipping through walls and windows. that also happens with your partner. there is so much to explore like a couple farmhouses small homes gas stations and a city hall. the guns is the game seem underpowered every time i shot even the gun models looked weak. and there are melee weapons too with nails sticking out one end. To baseball bats ammo is scarce across the world for real! the zombies are very dangerous in a group of 1 or 2 you can take them on. But if you encounter a horde on foot your DEAD! And once that character is dead there dead forever. Expand
  33. Jun 16, 2013
    9/10 because there is no co-op and because of technical issues. But aside from that, it's a great game, and the kind of zombie survival we have been waiting on
  34. Jun 15, 2013
    As a cheap arcade title, this game is worth every penny. It is a step in the right direction for that perfect open world zombie survival game that we have all been waiting for. If Undead Labs continues on doing what they originally implied, then this game is the starting point to a zombie survival MMO called "Class 4" for PC and Xbox 360. The element of survival is always there. Never goAs a cheap arcade title, this game is worth every penny. It is a step in the right direction for that perfect open world zombie survival game that we have all been waiting for. If Undead Labs continues on doing what they originally implied, then this game is the starting point to a zombie survival MMO called "Class 4" for PC and Xbox 360. The element of survival is always there. Never go out alone in concentrated areas or you will never make it. The depth of this game is unprecedented when it comes to weapons, skills, base creation, etc. I give this game a 10 simply because it is a steal for the price. But it does have a few minor issues such as frame rate and lag when entering new areas. Also the combat is a bit lackluster. But this stuff is very easy to overlook once you start getting in to it. Expand
  35. Jun 16, 2013
    I decided to pick up state of decay on the day of released, and man, was I surprised at how fun it was. I really enjoy the game mechanics and I had been looking for an open world zombie game like this for a while. Sure, the game has its fair share of graphical mishaps and bugs, but they are very easy to work past and enjoy the game. For an arcade title, there is easily 10-20 hours ofI decided to pick up state of decay on the day of released, and man, was I surprised at how fun it was. I really enjoy the game mechanics and I had been looking for an open world zombie game like this for a while. Sure, the game has its fair share of graphical mishaps and bugs, but they are very easy to work past and enjoy the game. For an arcade title, there is easily 10-20 hours of quality playtime, possibly a lot more if you enjoy scavenging and helping your group of survivors survive..

The developers have been starting to release title updates which improve the graphical bugs and annoyances a lot. Also, they have said they plan to implement co-op into this game which would add even more re-playabilty. So, if you're into zombie games and enjoy open worlds, SoD is a must buy.
  36. Jun 16, 2013
    State of Decay has everything a great game should. It has its open world adventure element allowing people to color outside of the lines and really form the picture they want. It has an involving storyline making you feel attached to certain Survivors of the groups and allows you to switch between certain Survivors allowing you to hone their skills and upgrade each member accordingly butState of Decay has everything a great game should. It has its open world adventure element allowing people to color outside of the lines and really form the picture they want. It has an involving storyline making you feel attached to certain Survivors of the groups and allows you to switch between certain Survivors allowing you to hone their skills and upgrade each member accordingly but not in a way that makes you feel confused when switching between characters and you don't have to so it doesn't feel like a chore but more of an achievement or a incentive. The game play is easy as well as friendly making everyone from hardcore gamers to casual gamers enjoys its long haul of a wild storyline. With so many extra things to do and things constantly coming up you will find yourself getting distracted quite often exploring a new region or a new house for supplies or maybe expanding your outposts. Maybe you were helping clear an infestation and you ended up finding some building supplies which you needed to build that new library you wanted. This game has a very strong replay value as you can choose how the story goes. You will always have the same ending but how you get there is all the adventure. I give State of Decay a 8 out of 10. Expand
  37. Jun 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I purchased state of decay the day it came out, I must say at first playing I didn't think much of the game the gameplay was jittery and it seemed to just lack any terms of overall decent gameplay. But I must say after letting the game develop through the story I found it was a game that was extremely enticing in the terms of making decisions to let certain survivors stay and sending them out to collect supplies etc. the bad sides to this game have to be the fact there is no co-op multiplayer even!! And the story was possible to complete in a matter of 4 days!!!! That's getting all 30 achievements possible!!! I think for future reference if undead labs want to bring out a state of decay 2 they should make it much longer, have co-op and make the choices a lot harder to make. But i must say overall top game definitely worth the buy. Expand
  38. Jun 17, 2013
    A very good game that has had little publicity in France but sells a lot.
    We all hope so a co-op mode.
  39. Jun 19, 2013
    A fun zombie game that relies on scavenging for supplies to keep your people alive. Although it suffers from minor bugs that have since been squashed the game retains the most important factor in a zombie apocalypse game; survival and for a twenty dollar price tag this is a definite buy.

40. Jun 18, 2013
    A great game with a good story i only wish I wasn't comparing with games like red dead and gtawhich have big open worlds. I enjoyed the combat and the gunplay.
  41. Jun 18, 2013
    This game is what I've always wanted for a zombie game. With nice survival elements and good combat. It makes use of a neat system where zombies are attracted by sound (Guns, Cars, Looting, Melee combat etc). Aside from the FPS drops and screen tearing this game is a solid zombie survival game. You are given the choice to be the player who builds up the home area and acquires moreThis game is what I've always wanted for a zombie game. With nice survival elements and good combat. It makes use of a neat system where zombies are attracted by sound (Guns, Cars, Looting, Melee combat etc). Aside from the FPS drops and screen tearing this game is a solid zombie survival game. You are given the choice to be the player who builds up the home area and acquires more survivors to build a colony or you can be the lone wolf all your choice. Cars are good but I find myself to be running or sneaking around. If you enjoy zombie games L4D, DayZ, (It takes certain aspects of these games and very nicely makes this game) Then State of Decay is for you. At a price of 1600 msp its worth it, there is always the free trial if you are unsure. Expand
  42. Jun 18, 2013
    This game is nothing but pure FUN. And thats what games should be ALL ABOUT. This type of game people have been waiting for, for a very long time. And we got it, and its perfect. Sure it has its bugs and not the prettiest game (to some, i think its fine) but nothing that can't be fixed through an already coming patch by undead labs. This game has been going through the charts and ULThis game is nothing but pure FUN. And thats what games should be ALL ABOUT. This type of game people have been waiting for, for a very long time. And we got it, and its perfect. Sure it has its bugs and not the prettiest game (to some, i think its fine) but nothing that can't be fixed through an already coming patch by undead labs. This game has been going through the charts and UL deserves it. This game is just another acheivment in the gaming industry, that its not all about big budget shooters, but about pure fun. Thats what makes this game, is its actually FUN. Expand
  43. Jun 20, 2013
    I can say that State of Decay, albeit being built on a terrible engine and being visually ugly, was a pleasant surprise. But there are many catches to this monster of an open world game. There are no frightening moments whatsoever. The open world compelled and begged me to explore it, and was quite fun to actually do this. This game is tricky. It has the potential to immerse youI can say that State of Decay, albeit being built on a terrible engine and being visually ugly, was a pleasant surprise. But there are many catches to this monster of an open world game. There are no frightening moments whatsoever. The open world compelled and begged me to explore it, and was quite fun to actually do this. This game is tricky. It has the potential to immerse you quite a lot but failed to do so to me. Expand
  44. Jun 20, 2013
    One of the great XBLA games,gameplay is really good.
    Pretty good open world game,but co-op should be there.
    Anyway,if score is needed it gets 8/10: MUST HAVE FOR ZOMBIE FANS!
  45. Jun 21, 2013
    Finally a zombie game that focuses on survival. The story is not a highlight at all and there are a lot of bugs but you need to enjoy this game for the little things. From having to go on runs for supplies which don't respawn by the way) to having to debate weather your safe at your home or if going to save someone is worth the risk to even having to put down your infected survivors ThisFinally a zombie game that focuses on survival. The story is not a highlight at all and there are a lot of bugs but you need to enjoy this game for the little things. From having to go on runs for supplies which don't respawn by the way) to having to debate weather your safe at your home or if going to save someone is worth the risk to even having to put down your infected survivors This game will be overlooked by a lot of people but it truly is a SURVIVAL horror game Expand
  46. Jun 25, 2013
    The game is fun to play even though it a little glitchy with the zombies walking through doors and how it may not have good graphics from a far away distance. But it is more cheap then most games and if you like killing zombies with many weapons in an open world game then this is the game for you.
  47. Jun 27, 2013
    One of the best zombie horror survival games that I've ever played. However, some flaws make the game less enjoyable, like how; the story is weak, graphics are average, fraps drop regularly and characters feel like a re-skinned male or female. Characters often repeat dialog also. But the game is very fun the first play through, but it is less enjoyable after completion. Also, a big letOne of the best zombie horror survival games that I've ever played. However, some flaws make the game less enjoyable, like how; the story is weak, graphics are average, fraps drop regularly and characters feel like a re-skinned male or female. Characters often repeat dialog also. But the game is very fun the first play through, but it is less enjoyable after completion. Also, a big let down, was NO MULTIPLAYER. Also, and this might be just me, but the game was quite easy, as about 3 of my group members died, and 1 was because I got bored of everyone living, so I purposely handicapped her so that she would die. But this is a really good game for zombie fans if you can get past bugs and frame rate drops.This game will be MUCH better after the patches, updates, and general improvements. Expand
  48. Jun 27, 2013
    The survival aspect of the game if unique and a lot of fun, and it kept me on my couch for hours. And you eventually get to know the characters, and if you get i favorite one they could die if you make one mistake.
  49. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is good, the plot is interesting too. But the number of bugs and "curves" moments do not allow to put this game out of 10 points. Open world towards the end of the story, unfortunately, doesn't allow to explore it's area as early in the game. For example, to complete the story line, no need to set up a camp base in the third town. The history of the factory, closed military quarantine, and that apparently caused the apocalypse, generally never emerges in the course of the story. But this game is something exciting, Therefore 8 points. Expand
  50. Jul 12, 2013
    This is the only true Survival Horror game I have ever played. State of Decay would be an easy 10/10 if the few glitches were not present. At the price of $20, the value is incredible.
  51. Jul 13, 2013
    To start off i loved the game its fun and addictive, there were a few things that did help lower the rating a bit. Aside from the janky bits (lets be honest if you let some jank ruin the gaming experience, you are nothing more than a spoiled child). The wish list is pretty short for this one ,more storyline, more interaction with the other survivors and maybe a few more add ons, as far asTo start off i loved the game its fun and addictive, there were a few things that did help lower the rating a bit. Aside from the janky bits (lets be honest if you let some jank ruin the gaming experience, you are nothing more than a spoiled child). The wish list is pretty short for this one ,more storyline, more interaction with the other survivors and maybe a few more add ons, as far as base building goes. The atmosphere leaves a little bit to be desired as there is very little fear involved in scavenging. The "zombies" are fine and i even like the juggernaut as he really instills fear into the game play. over all this is a good game, that will eat a lot of your time and is well worth the money. Lets hope that undead labs can continue to add on and refine this game as it has potential to be a game you could play for a long time. Expand
  52. Jul 15, 2013
    a pretty good game good thing than when you die you re spawn as a new survivor and can get your stuff back and do not have to restrat the story its a perty good game
  53. Jul 20, 2013
    Now SoD definitely deserves a spot among games like Left 4 Dead and Dead Island. This $20 title is absolutely brilliant. It runs fairly fast, and I had little to no bugs during my playthrough. The graphics are great, the OST fits all situations, and the gameplay...ohhhh that gameplay. You know a zombie game is great when you can even feel the struggle of your character's survival. Can'tNow SoD definitely deserves a spot among games like Left 4 Dead and Dead Island. This $20 title is absolutely brilliant. It runs fairly fast, and I had little to no bugs during my playthrough. The graphics are great, the OST fits all situations, and the gameplay...ohhhh that gameplay. You know a zombie game is great when you can even feel the struggle of your character's survival. Can't wait to see a sequel. Expand
  54. Nov 29, 2013
    Best zombie game ever made. Feels like your in 'The walking Dead'. Micro management, Permanent character deaths (important because you can switch to these people) permanent vehicle loss. You have to maintain everything. Little missions constantly pop up to distract you from the main incentive (pursuing these can save playable characters lives)

Setting up a camp- deciding what buildings

Setting up a camp- deciding what buildings to develop (med, ammo, sniper nests etc)

Talking to people that are depressed/have issues helps more than you realise

If you send someone on a mission to collect resources they will physically go across the map and attempt to collect and return. You must kit them out well if you dont want them to die. If they die, any resources they collected will drop at the place of death.

Little details like this make this game special.

LOADS of weapons/ammo types/items. Shooting is perfect, the lighting is beautful. Its a reminder of why we play games and where the medium is going.

The start of this game does not do it justice. Keep on playing
  55. Nov 11, 2013
    This game is an obvious beta. It has tremendous potential, being the first decent open world zombie premise I've ever seen. Unfortunately, the developers haven't put nearly enough polish into it, and you are liable to encounter a game-breaking bug.
  56. Aug 5, 2013
    My review of State of Decay

SINGLE PLAYER: 8/10. good story, holds up pretty well GRAPHICS: 7/10. nothing special. a lot of pop in, and poor draw distance. also, zombies glitch through walls :/ SOUND: 7/10. serviceable, but not outstanding. decent voice acting GAMEPLAY: 7.5/10. fun but simple fighting and navigation, but poor vehicle handling. there is also a whole assortment of
    My review of State of Decay

SINGLE PLAYER: 8/10. good story, holds up pretty well
    SOUND: 7/10. serviceable, but not outstanding. decent voice acting
    GAMEPLAY: 7.5/10. fun but simple fighting and navigation, but poor vehicle handling. there is also a whole assortment of glitches
    FUN FACTOR: 8/10. it is fun, but needs patches and fixes
    TOTAL: 8/10
  57. Aug 29, 2013
    Este jogo muito bom, manter esse horror por trás dele sendo que um jogo de sobrevivência coletar suplementos armas e até mesmo carros que será muito útil, uma vez morto sempre morto não há mais volta, muito bom mas os gráficos e os erros que avilta o jogo, caso contrário o jogo recomendado tai um bom simulador de apocalipse zumbi. ótimo jogo survival
  58. Aug 21, 2013
    Great game, exceptionally good! Although The Walking Dead game is really good, this mist just be at the height or even more! An open world game that, besides just getting the zombies brains blown out, makes you think a good strategy to survive. With the option of choosing your own safe house and rescuing people in trouble, this is the best Xbox 360 game.
  59. Sep 23, 2013
    Hell yeah! ladies and gentlemen the RPG zombie game we want. this game feels so polished and feels like it has alot of potential alot of other rpg zombie games could not achieve, and with the PC release coming soon, forget this on the xbox and you thought that was good! imagine mod support and... increased graphics! XBLA game of the year!!! buy plz.
  60. Oct 19, 2013
    So, I have a solid Reputation as the "Survivor" in my group, because I LOVE survival horror. This is amazing, especially the scavenging. My only issue is that multiplayer would be the best addition. I'm not sure if there is a patch, but there needs to be. Get hyped. A solid 8 out of 10, 9 IF a multiplayer patch is involved.
  61. Nov 14, 2014
    Great game. I bought this hoping I'd get a good 10 hours of gaming out of it. I think I've played through the main story line 6 or 7 times now ... probably 100+ hours now.
    I think I was hooked the on the first playthru the first time I started getting cocky - moved to my first new homestead, had a community of 9 people, had 2 characters rocking some decent fighting stats - and died horribly. Wow. Stayed out looting too long, ran out of stamina and snacks, flipped my car, got zerg'd, and watched the biters tear me in half and munch on my parts. Yes, my best character was GONE.
    PLAY THIS GAME!
  62. Mar 2, 2015
    Its certainly well put together for an xbox arcade game. Sure its not as polished as a big budget monster but there is loads of potential and heaps to do. If you are happy to accept the odd glitch and not so dazzling graphics it makes up for it with far more originality than yet another generic title from the pond scum developers such as EA and ubis**t.

Possibly the few criticisms would

Possibly the few criticisms would hinge upon a little greater explanation of how to actually build up your base and keep the residents happy. I was stuck for ages with my residents being unhappy and angry and not a clue what to do about it. Additionally you also cannot simply execute the troublesome people with a swift gunshot or swing of an axe to resolve the issues which I suppose is a refreshing change from the grand theft auto style of doing things, albeit a little frustrating at times.
  63. Jul 1, 2013
    I've been waiting for an open-world zombie game ever since Activision canceled "Dead Rush" at the beginning of this PS3/360 console generation. This is the game I'd hoped to get.

"State of Decay" does just about everything right. Instead of relying on cinematics to tell the story and impress the player with a sense of drama and urgency, the gameplay itself manages to keep the player engaged and immersed in the world Undead Labs has created. Scavenging, sneaking, and fighting, players must try and keep their ever-depleting stock of supplies from dwindling to nothing.

Most notably, rather than playing a single character, players much change between various members of their community due to fatigue or death, which allows playing different ways with different characters, due to each one's specific abilities.

This game would be a perfect 10 for me, but it has some jarring camera problems, frequent framerate chugging, and a number of bugs which made it difficult to keep my base going. However, it's not enough to dock a point for it, and this is the best XBLA title I've ever played.
  64. Jan 7, 2015
    This was a lovely surprise. At its core, an open-world zombie game, State of Decay is made so much more interesting by the strategic additions to its gameplay - building up a team of survivors, developing their unique perks and combat skills, keeping them all happy, and alive. Permadeath awaits any member unfortunate enough to be caught out by poor preparation for an encounter with theThis was a lovely surprise. At its core, an open-world zombie game, State of Decay is made so much more interesting by the strategic additions to its gameplay - building up a team of survivors, developing their unique perks and combat skills, keeping them all happy, and alive. Permadeath awaits any member unfortunate enough to be caught out by poor preparation for an encounter with the undead. Most individual zombies are straightforward enough to deal with (apart from some of the "freak" ones), but if you're negligent enough to be ganged up on by more than three or four at once without any of your allies in tow then you run a real risk of being a goner. And when one of your most developed characters gets their torso ripped clean off the rest of their body and they're gone for good, it's a real kick-to-the-stomach feeling. The fact that there's the potential for this to happen at any time means you never feel safe in this game, you're always on edge.

In addition, everything I wanted to do, whether it be move my group to a larger home base, or expand the facilities therein, something always seemed to happen to make that goal just out of arm's reach. You're not really playing State of Decay, you really are just survivng through it. Possibly the closest any game has ever come to making you feel how you probably would do if zombies really did take over. It's not the most polished game, a relatively low-budget offering, it's a little rough around the edges technically, but such deficiencies are easy to forgive when you consider the wider picture and the unique experience the game does offer. Even the story is somewhat involving. It's the best Grand Theft Auto game I've played.
  65. Jun 30, 2013
    Another zombie game? Really? Yep. This one, from aptly-named dev Undead Labs, promised to be a different kind of zombie game. Yeah, it's going to be chock full of everybody's favorite brain-obsessed creepies, but lots of games have that. Case in point, the perennial winner of zombie memories, Left 4 Dead. So is this Microsoft Arcade-only (and pricey to boot) release anything special? Is itAnother zombie game? Really? Yep. This one, from aptly-named dev Undead Labs, promised to be a different kind of zombie game. Yeah, it's going to be chock full of everybody's favorite brain-obsessed creepies, but lots of games have that. Case in point, the perennial winner of zombie memories, Left 4 Dead. So is this Microsoft Arcade-only (and pricey to boot) release anything special? Is it worth 1700 Microsoft points? Yes and yes. Let's look at State of Decay, the new breed of zombie apocalypse. First of all, this is not like the vast majority of zombie games: it is an open world, you-get-one-shot, game that requires you to, brace yourselves here, think about what you're doing. You cannot blunder into situations and expect to reliably get out of it. Everything you do, just like in reality, makes noise. Noise attracts zombies. So you need to plan ahead, recon your intended area of operations, and keep your eyes open for uninvited guests. The world is varied, well-made, and the entire thing is part of your game. It's not a lot of set dressing buildings like in Fallout 3: every building can be entered, every building can be searched. You are in a constant need, and thus constant search for supplies of varying descriptions. From weapons and ammo to building and medical supplies, food, and a whole host of inventory items, you need it all to survive and thrive. Every building has the potential to house something valuable, and most buildings contain several searchable containers. (This feeds back into the previous gameplay mechanic genius: you can search slowly and methodically, which takes time, or search quickly, which makes an incredible racket and draws zombies.) The entire map, which is huge, is built for you to explore. The AI is plenty clever, with a very good predator/prey algorithm implementation; zombies are both solo and pack hunters, and react predictably to given simuli. The AI is also smart enough to be stupid, a mark of the well-built AI: it will fall for decoys and tricks, not see through them and cheat because the game knows everything (hey, Need for Speed...lookin' at you). Missions are randomly created and, although a little limited in the number of types, still keeps the game from getting stale. Combat is neither overly complex nor too simplified, and breaks down into melee and firearm, with melee divided into weight classes and weapon types. And, much like Ubisoft's I Am Alive, you must concern yourself with not only health but stamina; overexert yourself and you may find yourself completely winded, surrounded by zombies, unable to fight or flee. But best of all, it's up to you to fortify and improve your base of operations, decide when and where to move, and set up safe houses. You're not stuck with what the game gives you; it's up to you to choose everything. You're given a menu of options for things to build at your base, all of which require a given amount of various supplies. As long as you can cover the cost, you can have what you want, but it's up to you to choose, and choose wisely. Moreso than any game in easy memory, State of Decay puts you in a world that's unbelievably open and gives you so much freedom that if you can see it, you can get there. With all this glowing praise, are there downsides? Yes, there are. Most seriously, the game's interface is somewhat unpolished. It's based on the common journal-as-user-interface frame (with a pleasant Tropico 4 graphical motif), but the player's understanding of the tools and options is left more to trial and error than anything else. Instructions are available, to a degree, but are not very complete and cannot be recalled at will; miss it the first time, and it's gone. On the heels of that is a lack in firearms controls; aiming is arduous, without any sort of aim assist, and against rapidly bobbing and weaving zombies, lining up a shot is downright frustrating. Controls are fixed, so you cannot customize your controller. Vehicle physics are a little too floaty, and the vehicles themselves are severely lacking in durability (probably to avoid balancing problems). You'll receive warnings that fellow survivors may be in trouble, but no solid indication of where they are, leaving you feeling a little helpless from time to time. You cannot recruit other survivors as backup, which means you're usually on solo. This wouldn't be so bad, except that any time any character dies, that's it; it's character permadeath every time. This is a pain as you can spend hours tuning up your "primary" character only to have him chewed up and lost because of bad luck or some unfortunate timing. (Some gamers may enjoy this, as it does add a major sense of urgency!) Some have complained about graphics quality, but it's really not bad at all. So, all told, State of Decay is an excellent game with a few teething troubles. Despite its high cost on XBLA marketplace, it's well worth it for would be World War Z'ers. A solid 8 to State of Decay. Go and enjoy. Expand
  66. Apr 15, 2014
    This game is amazing, original and much better than last of us, because you have more freedom in it. Is worth it to get an xbox just to play this piece of art
  67. Jun 30, 2013
    Great game. I'd go so far as to say best zombie game out there. If The Walking Dead franchise is going to have a game they need to take a leaf out of State of Decay's book. Make that TONS of leaves.

Bug-wise, I've only experienced a few very minor ones after hours of play; collision detection is a little wonky sometimes and companions have a nasty habit of blocking doors (and they don't often move when pushed). Aside for those it's been pretty flawless so far and not a single game breaking bug experienced by me. I HIGHLY recommend this game for any zombie/Walking Dead fan.
  68. Nov 12, 2013
    Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version. My mistake sry guys. Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for XboxWhoops I wrote a review for Xbox version. My mistake sry guys. Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version. Expand
  69. Oct 10, 2013
    Anyone who complains about this game not being good because it is too punishing should get their head checked. Permadeath and real time continuation (even with game off) makes for a tense gameplay indeed. Usually in such games, you can leave a mission forever, in SoD, there is a reasonable timeframe (there needs to be or you wouldn't be able to stop playing it or everyone would die). IfAnyone who complains about this game not being good because it is too punishing should get their head checked. Permadeath and real time continuation (even with game off) makes for a tense gameplay indeed. Usually in such games, you can leave a mission forever, in SoD, there is a reasonable timeframe (there needs to be or you wouldn't be able to stop playing it or everyone would die). If you do leave a mission too long, thinking main quest lines will always be there, do not be fooled.
    The best feature of SoD is the societal mechanics and group formation of your survival pack. You can establish outposts, set up traps in them, scavange supplies. If you're weighed down you can call in a runner, who runs across the map in real time to search and take all the supplies there. Certain characters respond better to others in different quests, and each are affected by fatigue, hunger and sickness. This can be avoided in building a workshop and using materials to construct extra bedding, or a watch-tower etc.
    I will talk more about the negative features of the game, solely because there's enough positive already.
    The game is at times buggy, and it seems interesting that everyone advises against you using a car, as it can alert zombies, even though in a car you can plow through hordes and hordes before the car becomes unusable.
    I won't go into graphics, with the exception of saying they are good. Regardless of what people say, graphics dont really matter that much.
    The inclusion of "special" zombies is an irritation, as it seems like they were simply thrown in for some extra difficulty, with little or no regard for the fact that they don't fit in at all. If most zombies can go down in a headshot, why create a fat one who takes 5+headshots? It removes the sense of believability.
    The game world itself is wonderful to explore, each house is unique and searchable, and the potential always draws you in. However, with the amount of missions on your screen at any one time, you never really get the chance to do some proper exploration.
    The game is also very emotionally distant. If someone (your best friend) dies, nothing happens bar a little notification on your screen. You will not become emotionally attached to characters or situation- it is certainly not trying to be TellTale Games: The Walking Dead.
    Lastly, the system to swap between characters is excellent, however you cannot trade weapons between them, so you will have some characters without weapons who can only get them by going into where they would need weapons. If you don't have enough influence to buy weapons from the community, you wont have enough to bring someone with you to help you find a weapon. I do not believe getting a playable member to accompany you should cost influence.
    In summary, despite its few flaws, and the potential negative impacts of permadeath and real-time, as well as rediculously punishing auto-saves (dont bother screwing up something and trying to reload to before it happened) SoD is at its heart a fantastic open world infection game, with solid core mechanics
  70. Oct 8, 2013
    This is an excellent game for being bound to the confines of 2GB on XBLA. I will say that if you do not like to:

1. Manage resources 2. Play as a community and not as an individual 3. Be careful when to engage, who to send for what 4. Pay attention to morale and deal with relationships Then you will NOT like this game as its more about those things than it is about combat.

1. Manage resources
    2. Play as a community and not as an individual
    3. Be careful when to engage, who to send for what
    4. Pay attention to morale and deal with relationships

The driving is decent, the combat is fun, shooting is a bit funky but serviceable (its loud and loud is BAD), graphics are decent and the voice acting is well done with a good storyline. Also your choices have real impact. Additionally its a living, breathing persistent world that will continue on without you, so if you log off and are away for a while you will see that either things got a bit better or could have gotten a LOT worse.

The game is large and you could blaze through the story in probably 10 to 12 hours or take your time like I am and I am maybe 1/2 way through with 17 hours logged in.

I am anxiously awaiting the future Class 4 game which is said to be coop or MMO version with the same game mechanics, which are well done and very fun to work with.
  71. Nov 15, 2013
    Fantastic. From the sneaking house to house for supplies, to offing straggler zombies in your way, plowing them over in cars, and managing and economizing your home base, this game is great. Perma-death makes your decisions very important, and intensifies the game play. New survivors are always spawning, but the stats you earn from using characters is where you can grow attached to oneFantastic. From the sneaking house to house for supplies, to offing straggler zombies in your way, plowing them over in cars, and managing and economizing your home base, this game is great. Perma-death makes your decisions very important, and intensifies the game play. New survivors are always spawning, but the stats you earn from using characters is where you can grow attached to one moreso than others.

With State of Decay's success, I'm really looking forward to future installments.
  72. Jul 6, 2014
    One of, if not the best game available on the XBLA. This was something fresh amongst all the zombie survival games that were just becoming popular, the base mechanics and having to scavenge for food and supplies makes it feel like there are things you should always be doing. Being able to switch between the characters in your base makes for some interesting variation as many have differentOne of, if not the best game available on the XBLA. This was something fresh amongst all the zombie survival games that were just becoming popular, the base mechanics and having to scavenge for food and supplies makes it feel like there are things you should always be doing. Being able to switch between the characters in your base makes for some interesting variation as many have different stats/traits. It definitely suffers from some problems such as frame rate drops and textures not loading properly, and the story wasn't particularly the best - however the situations i would find myself in more than made up for this and in a sense each player will make their own story depending on what happens to the group of survivors/base they develop Expand
  73. Nov 10, 2013
    I was very hyped for this game. In fact, it was one of my most hyped game of the first half of this year, right up there with Metro: Last Light and Bioshock Infinite. I couldn't wait for State of Decay. Until I played it. Now, don't get me wrong, very little in State of Decay is broken. It just...isn't all that entertaining. The combat felt pretty simplistic, the visuals were ugly, theI was very hyped for this game. In fact, it was one of my most hyped game of the first half of this year, right up there with Metro: Last Light and Bioshock Infinite. I couldn't wait for State of Decay. Until I played it. Now, don't get me wrong, very little in State of Decay is broken. It just...isn't all that entertaining. The combat felt pretty simplistic, the visuals were ugly, the framerate was choppy, the interface a little clunky, and the glitches numerous and obvious. When State of Decay works right, though, it's still just "kinda fun". It's not a bad game by any means. It just doesn't do enough to keep the player engaged. Expand
  74. Dec 17, 2013
    Welcome to the land of hell. State Of Decay is one of the most remember-able "zombie games" that will stand in the light with Left 4 Dead or Dead Island. Being a Xbox arcade game and becoming the 2nd best selling Xbox live game to date, you could say State Of Decay was praised by the general public. Forget about the dated graphics and crashes and your left with a solid zombie premise thatWelcome to the land of hell. State Of Decay is one of the most remember-able "zombie games" that will stand in the light with Left 4 Dead or Dead Island. Being a Xbox arcade game and becoming the 2nd best selling Xbox live game to date, you could say State Of Decay was praised by the general public. Forget about the dated graphics and crashes and your left with a solid zombie premise that can revival AAA games. For all Zombie and open world gamers you would be missing out if you hadn't already got your fixture on this game. State of Decay is a excellent Game with ground braking machines and a half hearted story that shouldn't be missed no madder the short comings. Expand
  75. Jul 1, 2013
    The sense of survival is at your every step since making the slightest sound in this game will send a horde of zombies your way. I found though after you meet up at the Church... which happens about 30 min. into the game. The game itself no longer is a go explore this open sand box world of zombies and have fun.

My experience with this game is.. It seriously makes you do chore after

My experience with this game is.. It seriously makes you do chore after chore after chore after chore.
    It never stops.. Once you engage in a story progression mission (chore) you quickly become inundated with Lilly on the radio telling you your next chore.
    The impossible Tower Deffense mentality of the game making you Protect the ZONE HOME with defense measures which in itself cost you by doing more Chores to get things built.

The game will tell you at some point that an EXPERT of sorts are required to build a certain item.
    what the game doesn't help you with is letting you know if a character has gone missing or killed...
    that character could be the very EXPERT your needing.

So yeah the thing would be not to let anyone Die but that's where this game fails from being FUN to down right frustrating Despite the odds thrown at you you bound to either lose the characters that your not controlling or your going to lose the character you are controlling because of all the damn MICRO MANAGING you have to keep up with in this game.

Frustration only compiles when you find out that you lose your items that you scavenged the map relentlessly for.
    As you place these in the SUPPLY SAFE... The game will CHARGE you reputaion points to remove those very same items.

That's like a BANK charging you a fee to make withdrawl. Not from a ATM but from the Branch you put the money into.

As for RARE items you place into the Supply Locker.. The Non controlled characters have free roam to pillage your hard earned items like your M4 Rifle and you will never see it again.

End Result I do enough chores in my Real World Life. Killing Zombies is FUN.
    Doing chores to kill zombies is not.

Also... When the hell did Machete Blades start breaking after 5 swings ?

Gah.. This game sux. Really. I want my 10 hours back... you can keep the money.
  76. Jul 1, 2013
    For an Arcade game, this is fantastic. Graphics aren't the greatest and I feel like the pacing is a little slow but other than that it's great. It's addictive, driving cars over zombies is so much fun and it is challenging at times. Recommending this game to all my gaming friends!
  77. Jul 2, 2013
    State Of Decay was a great, fun arcade game. Unfortunately it does have its flaws, like its vast amount of bugs, okay graphics and texture bugs. But besides that it really is an enjoyable experience. The MMO aspects are great and the perma-death mechanics are well done.
  78. Jul 11, 2013
    The game was great on the first play through. lots of stuff that makes the game something that you just cant put down. Although, if you cant put the game down and become a master of the game, it can get kinda repetitive and too easy. I they come with a difficulty setting in the future then the game will once again have that fear struck into me like a child watching a horror film when myThe game was great on the first play through. lots of stuff that makes the game something that you just cant put down. Although, if you cant put the game down and become a master of the game, it can get kinda repetitive and too easy. I they come with a difficulty setting in the future then the game will once again have that fear struck into me like a child watching a horror film when my character gets ripped apart by a horde of zombies. the game has some frame rate issues(nothing game breaking), if your community gets to large(like 30 people) then it can cause a never ending load screen(will probably be fixed in TU3) and sadly, wont have co-op which would have been a great feature. The good parts of the game is its above all things fun, has those tense moments where you have to think fast or lose your greatest asset, it rely's on your decisions (not just a bunch of scripted event(although they do have a scripted story), and the list just keeps on going. Can confidently say it deserves at least a 8/10 Expand
  79. Feb 23, 2014
    There is no shortage of zombies in State of Decay. The game keeps you very busy with missions, building facilities, tending to other survivors, maintaining your home base and, of course, killing tons of (re-spawning) zombies. If you like to go at your own pace, then you'll be disappointed with SOD; Missions expire, infestations grow and materials deplete daily. There is no difficultThere is no shortage of zombies in State of Decay. The game keeps you very busy with missions, building facilities, tending to other survivors, maintaining your home base and, of course, killing tons of (re-spawning) zombies. If you like to go at your own pace, then you'll be disappointed with SOD; Missions expire, infestations grow and materials deplete daily. There is no difficult selector, so if you're not too coordinated with an XBOX controller, or like to buzz through games on easy, you will get frustrated. The music and sounds effects are nice, the graphics have some frame rate issues, driving feels good until it catches on fire from mowing down a few zombie hordes, combat is repetitive but satisfying (however your weapon breaks frequently), voice acting and writing is decent, and night cycles add an extra challenge. You won't get bored playing SOD and might even feel a little overwhelmed, but not always in a fun way. Not for the casual gamer (review the various strategy guides online for help), a solid game for the Zombie sub-genre. Expand
  80. Aug 30, 2014
    THE BEST ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME EVER!!!! From perma death, to scavenging, base building, to survivor recruitment, this game has it all. This game is about stealth and survival and not being a zombie killing badd-ass. Full of tension, thrills and strategy you can put in tons of ours into this game.
  81. Dec 22, 2013
    State of decay is an awesome zombie simulation with a few reasons to keep on playing past the quest line.
    Firt of all SoD is not graphically impressive, textures are constantly popping in and the frame rate is unacceptable at times but these issues have not impacted the fun of the game. The controls are very simple making it very easy to play and all of the survival elements are cool but my biggest issue with the game is difficulty at times it is too easy and Undead Labs really need to pull a hardcore mode together that will run in real-time and leaving the game shouldnt just have negative effects. whats wrong? does everyone forget that they need to collect food for survival?
    If you buy this game skip the main game and skip towards the breakdown DLC for a more open and challenging experience
  82. Nov 5, 2013
    State of Decay is a zombie survival game. There have been many zombie survival games to come out recently, riding off the success of the wildly popular ARMA II mod DayZ. State of Decay's unique twist is that you control a compound of survivors, being able to switch characters with differing stats with some RPG elements. If you like zombie survival games, you're probably going to get thisState of Decay is a zombie survival game. There have been many zombie survival games to come out recently, riding off the success of the wildly popular ARMA II mod DayZ. State of Decay's unique twist is that you control a compound of survivors, being able to switch characters with differing stats with some RPG elements. If you like zombie survival games, you're probably going to get this game no matter what. It's a pretty fun game, but it can get repetitive after completing the same side quests over and over. The graphics are nothing special that's perfectly fine and the melee combat is at least VASTLY better than say, Survivor Stories Infestation AKA The WarZ but it's not a top notch and deep melee system. It does the job just fine.

If you like zombie survival games, you should definitely add this game to your collection.
  83. Nov 21, 2013
    An incredibly well thought out game for an excellent price from an indie developer constantly in touch with their fan base. Undead Labs vision of an apocalyptic zombie filled open world brings in aspects of several great open world titles and throws in much of their own unique twist.

An absolute must buy.
  84. Oct 28, 2013
    Its good, its original, there's not that much else that needs to be said, Sandbox RPG Zombie-Apocalypse sums it up. I would definitely recommend it, and I plan to go for a second play through.
  85. Oct 26, 2013
    An outstanding game that's high on playability and tension. The game play is so good its easy to live with the few technical problems the game has. Survival is the name of the game and the constant stream of missions keep you on your toes. All the things that make the zombie genre great are crammed into this game; tense moments of quietly searching so as not to attract attention fromAn outstanding game that's high on playability and tension. The game play is so good its easy to live with the few technical problems the game has. Survival is the name of the game and the constant stream of missions keep you on your toes. All the things that make the zombie genre great are crammed into this game; tense moments of quietly searching so as not to attract attention from the undead, satisfying kills with a vast array of weapons, the option to stay and fight or run away screaming when zombies attack. The game mixes strategy and action well and delivers an enjoyable game that keeps you coming back for more. If the world did wake up to a zombie apocalypse you should play this game to learn how to survive..! Expand
  86. Oct 27, 2013
    Why do game devs think releasing a bug riddled finished product is acceptable? anyhow, still fun to play, some frustrating oversights in game play: I can look through the bag but not take the bag, zombie has axe in head but I can't take the axe, Can't drive the car because doors are locked. I had really hoped that this would be a true go anywhere, do anything, post apoc experience.. but itWhy do game devs think releasing a bug riddled finished product is acceptable? anyhow, still fun to play, some frustrating oversights in game play: I can look through the bag but not take the bag, zombie has axe in head but I can't take the axe, Can't drive the car because doors are locked. I had really hoped that this would be a true go anywhere, do anything, post apoc experience.. but it still adheres to many rules that no longer apply in times like this. I may purchase the sequel, but only when it's on sale for $19.99 Expand
  87. Nov 1, 2013
    A very well-executed take on the open-world zombie apocalypse trend. It is, by far, one of the best ones we've gotten yet. The character animations are smooth, the world design is believable and varies every inch, there's a lot to explore and do. The combat is smooth and fun, and you can upgrade your home base to do many things such as allow overtime weapon and vehicle repairs.

That's

That's right, this game has cars, that you can drive in the open world, not many games of this type have done it let-alone done it correctly. There is no main playable character, as you change survivors often in order to prevent over-tiring any of them in particular. You can scavage equipment and save them in your base so other survivors may use them when you begin to play them, you can maintain the mood of of your base crew and upgrade your fortress in order to keep zombies away.
  88. Nov 7, 2013
    Absolute best zombie game I have EVER played.
    Absolute best zombie game I have EVER played.
    They got the survival aspect of this game perfected. You have limited space on survivors so before you go out looking for goods you have to think "do I bring guns? more ammo? more food? what about medicine? My car isn't looking so good should I leave it or bring it?" and each survivor can be built differently. Don't like frontal assaults? You can spec for stealth if you want! There are a decent amount of choices.
    The game feels like a satisfying mix of Deadrising, Day z, and Red Dead Redemption.

If you're a fan of zombies this game is a must have!!
  89. Jun 20, 2014
    I'm sorry... I want to love this game. It's an amazing idea and has potential to be an amazing game. However as much as I want to love this game.... it won't let me. I don't need incredible graphics to enjoy a game. Matter in fact I would rather take a larger world vs high visuals. The main problem I have with this game is the lack of quality. Late loading causing pop ins, which happens toI'm sorry... I want to love this game. It's an amazing idea and has potential to be an amazing game. However as much as I want to love this game.... it won't let me. I don't need incredible graphics to enjoy a game. Matter in fact I would rather take a larger world vs high visuals. The main problem I have with this game is the lack of quality. Late loading causing pop ins, which happens to many open world games, even GTA 5. But I've had too many situation where I was going fast down a road and suddenly a broke down car will magically appear right in front of me causing a head on collision destroying my vehicle (or damaging it pretty bad). The numerous glitches can either just be hilarious, annoying or down right game breaking. But the worst of them are the crashed games. I can't tell you how many times I've crashed, having to do a hard restart on my console. Sometimes I have a continuous crash where I restart, play for 10 seconds and crash, no matter what I do 10 seconds into game time I crash. I had to completely start a new game because I couldn't load a previous save... because there are no previous saves. Just the stupid auto-save. Gaming companies, stop with the reliant autosave! Let us save our own games.

I have a very high patients... hell I played through Two Worlds. But with this? It's just too riddled with bugs and glitches. Starting over is annoying. Crashes aren't good for my console. Framerate is horrid at times. I think it's more annoying when the game is actually good, and I want to play it. I really want to play this game... it just won't let me! No it's not my consoles they are both practically brand new but it crashes on PS3 and Xbox 360 so there isn't a difference between consoles, PC is a different story. Please polish your games before you release them.

(NOTE: This is just my review for consoles. I've heard PC has less problems and if that's true 7/10)
  90. Nov 30, 2013
    The game is great... but not as great as everyone makes out to be its not a perfect masterpiece that some say, the game has issues but not to extreme. There was a lot of potential in the characters but was quickly ruined when most character traits such as psychopathic don't change anything, there is no character relationship, if a character dies you feel nothing and if you do its aThe game is great... but not as great as everyone makes out to be its not a perfect masterpiece that some say, the game has issues but not to extreme. There was a lot of potential in the characters but was quickly ruined when most character traits such as psychopathic don't change anything, there is no character relationship, if a character dies you feel nothing and if you do its a disappointment because you put a lot of time into him/her and it was suddenly lost, the story and voice acting are dull and show almost no effort into it. However the games combat and survival aspects are great, and great enough to set aside all the disappointments this game had, and with the new Breakdown DLC it has gotten better with heroes you unlock by completing challenges all with there own weapons, traits and attributes, The only bad thing about the DLC is that the map does not change if you choose to move in the RV. There isn't much more to say, it has great survival and RPG elements, good combat except for gun controls being clunky. But overall the game is great. Expand
  91. Dec 13, 2013
    State of Decay is a fun game because there is nothing quite like it. No other game has successfully achieved surviving in an apocalypse as State of Decay. The gameplay is fun, but the story is mediocre.
  92. Dec 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion (i've played this title for 70h+) this game captures the essence of survival in a fictional apocalypse-scenario: resource gathering, enough self-feature to inspire moving forward (or stay in a global "status quo" inside the game), fight without end giving enough desperation to hope for a better outcome. OK, the characters voices are not the best so far (i hope a DLC would correct that, adding sound and bugfix material, also some new features like areas which can be "cleansed" for a longer time /2-3 real-time hours/, or fuel consumption in cars) and the bugs can be hellraiser (a Juggernaut comes trough the door.......), but we got permadeath and mood crisises (effectively almost all the same, but in sense makes different) and a currency system which will generate itself and fluctuate if you are offline.

This means that the open-world constantly moves: survivors get chewd up, others may come and go, resources get depleted or replenished, psych issues can/will make the offline process harder or sometimes a little easier so in one sentence: it is not a bad game. I do not say "awesome" because there is a lot features what aren't explained thoroughly in the game's manual (there is a wikia for that); it is just simply a "give-it-a-go" game: if you play it you will realize that you like it or not. So all in all: it is balanced by the positive features and some bug-related gameplay flaws; it is fun.

And remember: it is not about the zombies. It is about management and survival. Stealth wins the day, gun-hoes will be joining the mindless creep on the street.
  93. Jan 2, 2014
    This title was exactly what I was looking for when I thought 'Zombie Apocalypse Survival'. I was looking for a game that challenged you to survive and have a realistic element tied in with the fictional element of zombies. Not just beat up zombies, but actually survive. You can gather resources, build up a home base, find survivors that you will help you but occasionally will need yourThis title was exactly what I was looking for when I thought 'Zombie Apocalypse Survival'. I was looking for a game that challenged you to survive and have a realistic element tied in with the fictional element of zombies. Not just beat up zombies, but actually survive. You can gather resources, build up a home base, find survivors that you will help you but occasionally will need your protection as well... it's very well thought out and even though it could go farther, it's already better than any of the other zombie apocalypse games I've tried that are more focused on brain splatter or following some story line. You can draw comparisons to GTA in how the game plays, and switching between characters is a must. I think the only thing that makes it a 9 rather than a 10 for me is that I can't really secure larger areas to prevent the zombies from just spawning and killing my team. At the very least, I'd like to see a short period of time, after securing a house or building, before zombies start showing up out of no where. If I clear a path for my scavengers, I'd like to know they aren't going to randomly be destroyed by a horde that spawned a minute or two after I left the area. That part takes away from the realism a bit, but it does add a challenge, no doubt. Either way, they are on the right track, and I'd like to see more games like this one, that seem to focus on the game-play more-so than the brain splatters. Expand
  94. Jan 13, 2014
    Very entertaining. I must have spent over 30 hours on this game scavenging alone. The different zombie types are nice, even if not TOO original. Would definitely keep playing and recommend.
  95. Jan 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game impressed me! You can pick any survivor and go out of home base, searching for supplies. You have to be very careful. Make sure to always bring weapons [firearms and a side weapon] and medicine when leaving home base if you wish to survive. You have the ability to bring fellow survivors too. If the character you are playing dies, then you cannot play as that character anymore. Therefore, be careful. One part of the game that is annoying is when zombie hordes come frequently. Another annoying thing is when survivors often end up lost. Can't I ever get a break? I like rescuing survivors. Expand
  96. May 24, 2014
    best survival / zombie game ever not for 10 min gamers this game wont hold your hand and death is everlasting i dont even think there is cheats for this game ...a game made for gamers
  97. Jun 30, 2014
    Fiery, Feral and Ferocious; this game is a clear winner. It's Xbox's answer to The Last of Us, and although it may not have the finesse or attention to detail of Naughty Dog's piece of art, it comes damn close. For those of you who are obsessed with the Walking Dead (guilty!), this game is for you. It encompasses the elements of a real zombie-survival horror story, forcing you to makeFiery, Feral and Ferocious; this game is a clear winner. It's Xbox's answer to The Last of Us, and although it may not have the finesse or attention to detail of Naughty Dog's piece of art, it comes damn close. For those of you who are obsessed with the Walking Dead (guilty!), this game is for you. It encompasses the elements of a real zombie-survival horror story, forcing you to make tough decisions, look after your 'camp' and also rewards you for putting in time and effort. I played a good 18 hours of the game, and I still want to play more. The game is very original (especially with its real-time gameplay), and addictive. Just make sure you take breaks from this game, don't turn into a zombie yourself!
    This is an absolute must for zombie fans! Go eat them brains!
  98. Jul 15, 2014
    I have wanted to play an extensive zombie survival game for a long time, and the day this came out on the xbox store, i knew it was worth a look. The storyline isnt too extensive but is still not repetitive which means it can be completed in a single sitting. However the storyline isnt the main focus for most players in this game. The survival aspect is amazing. Food and water needs to beI have wanted to play an extensive zombie survival game for a long time, and the day this came out on the xbox store, i knew it was worth a look. The storyline isnt too extensive but is still not repetitive which means it can be completed in a single sitting. However the storyline isnt the main focus for most players in this game. The survival aspect is amazing. Food and water needs to be collected along with medicine to keep your survivors alive, whom you can recruit from nearby 'enclaves' by earning their trust. You can do this through many short missions which can often take you to undiscovered areas and provide you with the resources you need. Ammunition and fuel can be stored to help the camp's survival and building materials can be found which can upgrade the players home facility or allow them to move to an entirely new one. These systems work smoothly with each other albeit a few minor bugs. Expand
  99. Jul 22, 2014
    State of Decay is the only game I have ever played that actually makes me scared of dying, which is very much needed in the video game industry. You can explore the massive world, scavenge, recruit, claim territory and of course, kill zombies. You feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders when managing your base. There is nothing like running back to base with a backpack ofState of Decay is the only game I have ever played that actually makes me scared of dying, which is very much needed in the video game industry. You can explore the massive world, scavenge, recruit, claim territory and of course, kill zombies. You feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders when managing your base. There is nothing like running back to base with a backpack of supplies with a horde of zombies right behind you, with your friends desperately trying to save you. This is the game all zombie games will be compared to. Expand
  100. Jul 22, 2014
    Really awesome game! Very innovative and very satisfying.Combine the survival element with stealth and combat. I really enjoy it,despite having to babysit everybody in the game,but that's what makes it fun! Because it's a zombie survival game,you gotta take care of everybody,including yourself! Great Game!

Hope there will be more games like this in the future!

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 7, 2013
    An entertaining zombie apocalypse sandbox. It's a bit rough visually, but makes up for it with a persistent world. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    It's not the most beautiful and polished game, but the end of the world with all it’s small and big problems rarely felt this real.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Sep 4, 2013
    The Last of Us meets The Sims, mashed, salted and served with a few lumps. [Oct 2013, p.64]