State of Decay Xbox 360

7.2

1. Jun 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It sucked me in right from the beginning and I really enjoyed the forest and prologue campaign, and I really enjoyed the first town too. But then the map opened up, resources became pinpointed, and the Zombies would never stay gone! What I'm trying to say is that it is a good game with a great start that gives you immersion from the very get go, but that doesn't last the whole experience and before you've reached the middle of the game you realize it's just that, a game. Zombies are everywhere and they never go away. You can't really clear an area, they will just re-spawn (and I don't mean wanders, but specific re-spawn points). Hordes are way too common and where it is SO much fun to annihilate a horde in one sweep of a car, but cars are stupidly fragile (to make them a scarcer resource) so you can't rely on that tactic forever. There are a lot of cars though, at least at first until you burn through them if you're not careful.
    Story: It's fine for a zombie survival game and offers some downright HARD missions that are a nice challenge to overcome and leave you feeling victorious but vulnerable. And that's the best thing about this game, it makes you feel vulnerable. You resources are constantly a concern. Your guns, ammo, and even melee weapons are finite don't last long. You're people are vulnerable and need you, and you all need resources from around the zombie infested towns. Up until you get into the military zone where there are guns and ammo EVERYWHERE (late game), you DON'T use your guns unless it's an emergency, you save your favourite (most powerful/effective) weapon for dire situations, and you are grateful when you find that box of resource you were so desperately low on.
    Combat is good, with the problems of physical combat that all third person sandbox games (like GTA) have but there is a light "homing" system added to physical combat that helps compensate for realism in a game. Smart levelling also allows for great advantages in combat.
    This brings me to the RPG elements of this game, levelling and relations. Levelling works well, you gain experience in stats through different actions. On top of basic stats, each character has a list of traits that offer strengths and weaknesses. Traits go from natural talents to previous jobs and hobbies, and they all affect the character in some way. This makes each character be unique in some way or another, but in the end you'll end up prioritizing the combat and leadership specialists because the "skill tree" of these characters offer special moves that are incredibly effective.
    Regarding the base, the developers did it right and created a number of potential bases for you to choose from, varying in size, location, and overall difficulty to manage. The base is where you do your maintenance and resource/relationship management. The character relationships and interaction is the RPG element I believe they fell short on. This game has what seems like a wide variety of conversation and interaction, but after the world opens up after the first town you quickly realize that this is not the case. Constant errands and characters have the same issues that have the same solutions with the same awkward and un-fluid dialog. Characters lack personality and as a result seem underdeveloped, breaking the immersion. All of a sudden they are no longer a person in your camp, but instead just another resource to be managed.
    There is also a base development mechanic which I like, but don't love. There's a decent variety of options for structures each with their own upgrades through the use of resources you've collected. The flaw is that even in the biggest base, you still have very little space to work with. I understand not being able to build every structure in order to retain difficulty and keep the pressure, but when there is plenty of space left between structures it’s frustrating to know you could fit more but you’re not allowed to.
    The game also keeps track of your real time and so every real day it consumes resources, giving the player a feeling of pressure and urgency in real life as well as the game.
    VI: It's OK. Not terrible, but definitely not great. Issues with pathing and just poor decisions in aggro and combat. They're not too present, but they are still there. There are a few issues with the VI of the zombies as well, but I actually think that's a good thing because zombies are supposed to have flawed behaviour and dulled senses, so the issues can be attributed to zombie traits through immersion.
    Exploration in this game is fun. There are plenty of nice areas to discover and explore. Fuel may not be a very stressed issue in this game, but night time is still stressful to traverse and scavenge in.
    Also, they have “freak zombies” which take away from the realism that the zombie apocalypse naturally has.
    I don't mean to say that this is a bad game. In fact, it's good. I played it, and enjoyed it, but expect a zombie survival GAME.

2. Apr 2, 2015
    State of decay may be an awesome game if your a hardcore fan boy of zombies and survival horror. If not, then you will get bored of this game very easily. The controls were neat and easy to handle and maneuver, but at the same time unresponsive.This game has pretty weak gameplay and the graphics are average. This game also has a few glitches that I have noticed. Besides that, the RPGState of decay may be an awesome game if your a hardcore fan boy of zombies and survival horror. If not, then you will get bored of this game very easily. The controls were neat and easy to handle and maneuver, but at the same time unresponsive.This game has pretty weak gameplay and the graphics are average. This game also has a few glitches that I have noticed. Besides that, the RPG elements to this game are pretty good for a survival horror game, and storing loot from abandoned houses and stores to upgrade yourself is thoroughly addictive. I wouldn't recommend it, but its way better than Resident evil and other bad zombie games. Buy this if you want to. Expand
  3. Feb 22, 2015
    I love zombie games, and thought I would love this one, but I was proven wrong. The game has a nice presentation to it, but it doesn't sit right with me. Immediately several things just proved bothersome.

The day/night cycle, which is set to real time and no option to skip either. This proves futile when you and your characters are injured and need that required rest in order to explore and fend off hordes. So be prepared to be wandering around your home base at night, not being able to explore, because you're at too low of a level. Which is boring. Walking around aimlessly for an hour in real time.

Another thing I didn't like was the offline simulation. Really? You're going to play the game while I'm not playing it? So when I come back I find my survivors dead and my food/meds/weapons gone?

The one thing I found most frustrating was the amount of zombies. Supposedly there is a limit to the number of zombies the game can generate at any given time. But this isn't true. I found 6 zombie hordes within the same area at once during daylight hours. I fear what that would be like at night. Also the fact that there are zombies during the daytime? I guess the developers never read up on classic zombies when making this game. I can understand them being inside houses and whatnot, but roaming the streets during the day time? Come on.

This is one of those games that gets rave reviews and I just end up not liking it.
  4. Jul 27, 2014
    This game if very appealing to every survival game fan, yet it lacks what would be great. This game is decent in it's survival aspects, I could clear out entire crowds of zombies just by using melee weapons and walking back about 10 feet. The only time I felt like it was a challenge was when they threw in Left 4 Dead zombies, which doesn't make sense when they advertised it as realistic.This game if very appealing to every survival game fan, yet it lacks what would be great. This game is decent in it's survival aspects, I could clear out entire crowds of zombies just by using melee weapons and walking back about 10 feet. The only time I felt like it was a challenge was when they threw in Left 4 Dead zombies, which doesn't make sense when they advertised it as realistic.

A lot of the survival stuff is very bare-bones. Collect supply, Gather food, Get weapons. It all gets stale because this is very easy to do. No challenge fighting zombies and surviving. It is a breath of fresh air and has a lot of stuff I have been wanting in a game for years, yet it is executed as unpolished and minimal.
  5. Feb 23, 2014
    There is no shortage of zombies in State of Decay. The game keeps you very busy with missions, building facilities, tending to other survivors, maintaining your home base and, of course, killing tons of (re-spawning) zombies. If you like to go at your own pace, then you'll be disappointed with SOD; Missions expire, infestations grow and materials deplete daily. There is no difficultThere is no shortage of zombies in State of Decay. The game keeps you very busy with missions, building facilities, tending to other survivors, maintaining your home base and, of course, killing tons of (re-spawning) zombies. If you like to go at your own pace, then you'll be disappointed with SOD; Missions expire, infestations grow and materials deplete daily. There is no difficult selector, so if you're not too coordinated with an XBOX controller, or like to buzz through games on easy, you will get frustrated. The music and sounds effects are nice, the graphics have some frame rate issues, driving feels good until it catches on fire from mowing down a few zombie hordes, combat is repetitive but satisfying (however your weapon breaks frequently), voice acting and writing is decent, and night cycles add an extra challenge. You won't get bored playing SOD and might even feel a little overwhelmed, but not always in a fun way. Not for the casual gamer (review the various strategy guides online for help), a solid game for the Zombie sub-genre. Expand
  6. Dec 22, 2013
    State of decay is an awesome zombie simulation with a few reasons to keep on playing past the quest line.
    Firt of all SoD is not graphically impressive, textures are constantly popping in and the frame rate is unacceptable at times but these issues have not impacted the fun of the game. The controls are very simple making it very easy to play and all of the survival elements are cool but my biggest issue with the game is difficulty at times it is too easy and Undead Labs really need to pull a hardcore mode together that will run in real-time and leaving the game shouldnt just have negative effects. whats wrong? does everyone forget that they need to collect food for survival?
    If you buy this game skip the main game and skip towards the breakdown DLC for a more open and challenging experience
  7. Nov 30, 2013
    The game is great... but not as great as everyone makes out to be its not a perfect masterpiece that some say, the game has issues but not to extreme. There was a lot of potential in the characters but was quickly ruined when most character traits such as psychopathic don't change anything, there is no character relationship, if a character dies you feel nothing and if you do its aThe game is great... but not as great as everyone makes out to be its not a perfect masterpiece that some say, the game has issues but not to extreme. There was a lot of potential in the characters but was quickly ruined when most character traits such as psychopathic don't change anything, there is no character relationship, if a character dies you feel nothing and if you do its a disappointment because you put a lot of time into him/her and it was suddenly lost, the story and voice acting are dull and show almost no effort into it. However the games combat and survival aspects are great, and great enough to set aside all the disappointments this game had, and with the new Breakdown DLC it has gotten better with heroes you unlock by completing challenges all with there own weapons, traits and attributes, The only bad thing about the DLC is that the map does not change if you choose to move in the RV. There isn't much more to say, it has great survival and RPG elements, good combat except for gun controls being clunky. But overall the game is great. Expand
  8. Nov 12, 2013
    Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version. My mistake sry guys. Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for XboxWhoops I wrote a review for Xbox version. My mistake sry guys. Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version.Whoops I wrote a review for Xbox version. Expand
  9. Nov 10, 2013
    I was very hyped for this game. In fact, it was one of my most hyped game of the first half of this year, right up there with Metro: Last Light and Bioshock Infinite. I couldn't wait for State of Decay. Until I played it. Now, don't get me wrong, very little in State of Decay is broken. It just...isn't all that entertaining. The combat felt pretty simplistic, the visuals were ugly, theI was very hyped for this game. In fact, it was one of my most hyped game of the first half of this year, right up there with Metro: Last Light and Bioshock Infinite. I couldn't wait for State of Decay. Until I played it. Now, don't get me wrong, very little in State of Decay is broken. It just...isn't all that entertaining. The combat felt pretty simplistic, the visuals were ugly, the framerate was choppy, the interface a little clunky, and the glitches numerous and obvious. When State of Decay works right, though, it's still just "kinda fun". It's not a bad game by any means. It just doesn't do enough to keep the player engaged. Expand
  10. Nov 5, 2013
    State of Decay is a zombie survival game. There have been many zombie survival games to come out recently, riding off the success of the wildly popular ARMA II mod DayZ. State of Decay's unique twist is that you control a compound of survivors, being able to switch characters with differing stats with some RPG elements. If you like zombie survival games, you're probably going to get thisState of Decay is a zombie survival game. There have been many zombie survival games to come out recently, riding off the success of the wildly popular ARMA II mod DayZ. State of Decay's unique twist is that you control a compound of survivors, being able to switch characters with differing stats with some RPG elements. If you like zombie survival games, you're probably going to get this game no matter what. It's a pretty fun game, but it can get repetitive after completing the same side quests over and over. The graphics are nothing special that's perfectly fine and the melee combat is at least VASTLY better than say, Survivor Stories Infestation AKA The WarZ but it's not a top notch and deep melee system. It does the job just fine.

If you like zombie survival games, you should definitely add this game to your collection.
  11. Oct 27, 2013
    Why do game devs think releasing a bug riddled finished product is acceptable? anyhow, still fun to play, some frustrating oversights in game play: I can look through the bag but not take the bag, zombie has axe in head but I can't take the axe, Can't drive the car because doors are locked. I had really hoped that this would be a true go anywhere, do anything, post apoc experience.. but itWhy do game devs think releasing a bug riddled finished product is acceptable? anyhow, still fun to play, some frustrating oversights in game play: I can look through the bag but not take the bag, zombie has axe in head but I can't take the axe, Can't drive the car because doors are locked. I had really hoped that this would be a true go anywhere, do anything, post apoc experience.. but it still adheres to many rules that no longer apply in times like this. I may purchase the sequel, but only when it's on sale for $19.99 Expand
  12. Sep 21, 2013
    State of Decay is a very ambitious game.

However, it's not that good. It's very buggy, repetitive and after the first two hours or so, not so fun. Where's the fun in breaking in a gun store, evading 15 zombies on your way if your abilities remain virtually the same? The concept is amazing. The implementation, not so much. In time, it will get better and polished but for now, it's
    State of Decay is a very ambitious game.

The concept is amazing. The implementation, not so much. In time, it will get better and polished but for now, it's more a tech demo of what a open world zombie survival game should look like and not a finished product.
  13. Aug 29, 2013
    State of Decay is one of the most ambitious games of 2013 and one of the most flawed. For every thing it does right it, its brought down by being poorly made. The stealth mechanics and home building are fantastic but the combat is poor and the amount of damage done seems random. The missions are entertaining but tedious. The world is large and filled with things to do, but their areState of Decay is one of the most ambitious games of 2013 and one of the most flawed. For every thing it does right it, its brought down by being poorly made. The stealth mechanics and home building are fantastic but the combat is poor and the amount of damage done seems random. The missions are entertaining but tedious. The world is large and filled with things to do, but their are glitches everywhere. Its worth playing, just don't have your expectations to high. Expand
  14. Aug 29, 2013
    Este jogo muito bom, manter esse horror por trás dele sendo que um jogo de sobrevivência coletar suplementos armas e até mesmo carros que será muito útil, uma vez morto sempre morto não há mais volta, muito bom mas os gráficos e os erros que avilta o jogo, caso contrário o jogo recomendado tai um bom simulador de apocalipse zumbi. ótimo jogo survival
  15. Aug 18, 2013
    For $20, SoD is an excellent ARCADE game. Don't go in thinking that you're about to be entertained by a AAA-title. Despite our recent obsessions with zombies, this manages to keep it alive and fresh for as long as the game lasts. It has its flaws, its short-comings, and its bugs, but it's definitely worth a playthrough or two.
  16. Jul 24, 2013
    State of Decay
    Average User Score: 7.5
    9 State of Decay ImageThink of this game as a hybrid. It combines elements of Left 4 Dead, Dead Island, Dead Rising, Red Dead Redemption (Undead Nightmare) and so on. Add on the element of building a base, keeping it going, expanding it, resource gathering and all the trappings of an RPG and you have one helluva Arcade game. For $20 I dare you to
    State of Decay
    Average User Score: 7.5
    State of Decay ImageThink of this game as a hybrid. It combines elements of Left 4 Dead, Dead Island, Dead Rising, Red Dead Redemption (Undead Nightmare) and so on. Add on the element of building a base, keeping it going, expanding it, resource gathering and all the trappings of an RPG and you have one helluva Arcade game. For $20 I dare you to find me a better game, if so please let me know. Only reason I didn't give it a 10 same thing most are saying lack of co-op. If they add this on it could become one of the best Arcade games and or best zombies games of this (soon to be over) console generation.
  17. Jul 21, 2013
    In my last review.. I stated that you can't drive in the game. My apologizes. You can drive in the game. I just wish that there was more variety in the vehicles that you can drive. The game is so broken that it is a blast to play through. Anyway... the game is funny and exciting so definitely give this game a shot!
  18. Jul 20, 2013
    State of decay is a fun game do not get me wrong, but as a person that has watched someone play this game and not getting into the experience it just feels rushed, i do not know if they have patched it yet as i have not played this game in some time.
  19. Jul 1, 2013
    The sense of survival is at your every step since making the slightest sound in this game will send a horde of zombies your way. I found though after you meet up at the Church... which happens about 30 min. into the game. The game itself no longer is a go explore this open sand box world of zombies and have fun.

My experience with this game is.. It seriously makes you do chore after

My experience with this game is.. It seriously makes you do chore after chore after chore after chore.
    It never stops.. Once you engage in a story progression mission (chore) you quickly become inundated with Lilly on the radio telling you your next chore.
    The impossible Tower Deffense mentality of the game making you Protect the ZONE HOME with defense measures which in itself cost you by doing more Chores to get things built.

The game will tell you at some point that an EXPERT of sorts are required to build a certain item.
    what the game doesn't help you with is letting you know if a character has gone missing or killed...
    that character could be the very EXPERT your needing.

So yeah the thing would be not to let anyone Die but that's where this game fails from being FUN to down right frustrating Despite the odds thrown at you you bound to either lose the characters that your not controlling or your going to lose the character you are controlling because of all the damn MICRO MANAGING you have to keep up with in this game.

Frustration only compiles when you find out that you lose your items that you scavenged the map relentlessly for.
    As you place these in the SUPPLY SAFE... The game will CHARGE you reputaion points to remove those very same items.

That's like a BANK charging you a fee to make withdrawl. Not from a ATM but from the Branch you put the money into.

As for RARE items you place into the Supply Locker.. The Non controlled characters have free roam to pillage your hard earned items like your M4 Rifle and you will never see it again.

End Result I do enough chores in my Real World Life. Killing Zombies is FUN.
    Doing chores to kill zombies is not.

Also... When the hell did Machete Blades start breaking after 5 swings ?

Gah.. This game sux. Really. I want my 10 hours back... you can keep the money.
  20. Jun 28, 2013
    Ok this game I could not wait for I was so excited and it came out. I played it a lot it was super fun. Then I started to get overwhelmed with missions and things to do and became too much. This is a good game, and the asking price is not much so if you don't have a ps3 too get The Last Of Us which is way better get this game it is a good zombie game 7.5/10
  21. Jun 27, 2013
    One of the best zombie horror survival games that I've ever played. However, some flaws make the game less enjoyable, like how; the story is weak, graphics are average, fraps drop regularly and characters feel like a re-skinned male or female. Characters often repeat dialog also. But the game is very fun the first play through, but it is less enjoyable after completion. Also, a big letOne of the best zombie horror survival games that I've ever played. However, some flaws make the game less enjoyable, like how; the story is weak, graphics are average, fraps drop regularly and characters feel like a re-skinned male or female. Characters often repeat dialog also. But the game is very fun the first play through, but it is less enjoyable after completion. Also, a big let down, was NO MULTIPLAYER. Also, and this might be just me, but the game was quite easy, as about 3 of my group members died, and 1 was because I got bored of everyone living, so I purposely handicapped her so that she would die. But this is a really good game for zombie fans if you can get past bugs and frame rate drops.This game will be MUCH better after the patches, updates, and general improvements. Expand
  22. Jun 27, 2013
    State of decay sounded like an amazing game. It had everything I had ever wanted in a zombie horror game. The sheer survival of you group, you had the task of keeping your group safe, fed and supplied. But the execution of it was not the best. The frame rate is shockingly bad, shockingly. The gameplay itself is pretty good, the zombies are terrifying, although after playing it the 3rd timeState of decay sounded like an amazing game. It had everything I had ever wanted in a zombie horror game. The sheer survival of you group, you had the task of keeping your group safe, fed and supplied. But the execution of it was not the best. The frame rate is shockingly bad, shockingly. The gameplay itself is pretty good, the zombies are terrifying, although after playing it the 3rd time around I gradually lost the fright of the zombies and the hoards, it seemed a simple job after a while, just get in a car and run them over.

Undead labs must think we are pretty stupid. Don't get me wrong I really like the game, but my first play through I had a survivor called Raul. During my second play through I had another survivor which I thought was Raul, but turned out to be a man named Sawyer. I mean come on! He had the same face and voice. It's just lazy and takes away the experience a lot. And the fact that there's really only 5 safe houses you can have including the church.

The story... The story. Well it's s*it! There was no need for a story in this game, it should of been just about survival, there was no need for it. And the ending?... Jesus.

But overall, the game is great and is probably the best zombie game out now, where you have full control over everything.
  23. Jun 24, 2013
    There is in the game and the world of beautiful things open or open map
    And but their fault unity it is not present on all devices!
    But the price of the Xbox Live good!
    Game needs serious part of the best and the best in the movement of the characters and beatings!
    The need to modify the beam some thing and modify the nature of fees for the better!
  24. Jun 21, 2013
    This game is defiantly not on a big budget as the animations are rather bad and some of the voice acting is awful but the game is self is a hell of alot of fun. The idea of the game is great and it really is the best open world zombie game out at the moment. The game can get a little repetitive tho and that lets it down quite alot but I assure you that the group management system andThis game is defiantly not on a big budget as the animations are rather bad and some of the voice acting is awful but the game is self is a hell of alot of fun. The idea of the game is great and it really is the best open world zombie game out at the moment. The game can get a little repetitive tho and that lets it down quite alot but I assure you that the group management system and searching the map will give you a few hours of fun and the developers seem like great people who are only going to add more to game and keep improving it. The driving in this game is really quite bad as I found my car just wanted to flip over at every given chance and my characters would be flung all over the place in a rather buggy rolling animation. The melee combat is really simple, it is pretty much a buttons masher so it gets boring very quickly.

Overall the game is great but it's a little buggy and the animation/voice acting is not great plus the melee combat gets very repetitive. I would say that you should only buy this if you are a big zombie fan.
  25. Jun 20, 2013
    I can say that State of Decay, albeit being built on a terrible engine and being visually ugly, was a pleasant surprise. But there are many catches to this monster of an open world game. There are no frightening moments whatsoever. The open world compelled and begged me to explore it, and was quite fun to actually do this. This game is tricky. It has the potential to immerse youI can say that State of Decay, albeit being built on a terrible engine and being visually ugly, was a pleasant surprise. But there are many catches to this monster of an open world game. There are no frightening moments whatsoever. The open world compelled and begged me to explore it, and was quite fun to actually do this. This game is tricky. It has the potential to immerse you quite a lot but failed to do so to me. Expand
  26. Jun 19, 2013
    "State of Decay" is certainly worthy of being green, but it's not quite an 8 or 9. My only large gripe is that as the developers tried to blend single-person zombie survival-action with fortress-building and group-management/rpg elements, instead of coming off as a multi-faceted, unified personality, the game seems to often suffer from a split personality disorder and identity crisis. This"State of Decay" is certainly worthy of being green, but it's not quite an 8 or 9. My only large gripe is that as the developers tried to blend single-person zombie survival-action with fortress-building and group-management/rpg elements, instead of coming off as a multi-faceted, unified personality, the game seems to often suffer from a split personality disorder and identity crisis. This is a shame as a game more focused on one core mechanic with the others merely feeding it might have made the game 8- or 9-worthy. It's still well worth the purchase. Expand
  27. Jun 18, 2013
    First thing first: State of Decay is an XBOX Live Arcade game. And when I say it I mean: ARCADE. GAME. It's simple, ugly, low-budget, choppy, with a horrible engine. Now, even after that, State of Decay manages to bring a compelling open-world, with many characters and iterations in the story. One doesn't feel like one's surviving (I blame single player for that) like in other gamesFirst thing first: State of Decay is an XBOX Live Arcade game. And when I say it I mean: ARCADE. GAME. It's simple, ugly, low-budget, choppy, with a horrible engine. Now, even after that, State of Decay manages to bring a compelling open-world, with many characters and iterations in the story. One doesn't feel like one's surviving (I blame single player for that) like in other games (DayZ, The War Z, etc). It's more like a smash-n-grab looting simulator placed in a zombie apocalypse. A kind of Grand Theft Auto meets Left 4 Dead, but not quite. It has something more. Something that adds replayability. And that's a very important factor in an XBOX Live Arcade game, specially for one worth 20 bucks. It makes you come back to check on it after a while.

I'd say "grab it while on sale" but XBOX doesn't have any sales unless you're gold, and chances are it won't be on sale any time soon so I'l say "grab it if you're a zombie fan".
  28. Jun 16, 2013
    Very fun game! Love the idea and it plays very well but the reason I gave it a 6 is because it is clearly not finished. It is sooo bug ridden in some parts can be virtually unplayable! e.g Lag when driving, people going missing right outside you house, and broken animations more! It is bad that Undead labs did not put anywhere that this game is in Alpha, because that is the state it isVery fun game! Love the idea and it plays very well but the reason I gave it a 6 is because it is clearly not finished. It is sooo bug ridden in some parts can be virtually unplayable! e.g Lag when driving, people going missing right outside you house, and broken animations more! It is bad that Undead labs did not put anywhere that this game is in Alpha, because that is the state it is unofficially in. I would demand for my money back but I actually had some good fun on this game. My advise, wait for a few updates to come out then buy it! Expand
  29. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is way more funner than it should be. It feels buggy, the melee combat is basic and the world is quite uninteresting at times. BUT it just goes to show, the game doesn't need to be perfect to be fun! in-fact, I think if the melee system and gun play was more in-depth, it would be more boring. Most games today try to go way into gun play and other mechanics which makes it noThis game is way more funner than it should be. It feels buggy, the melee combat is basic and the world is quite uninteresting at times. BUT it just goes to show, the game doesn't need to be perfect to be fun! in-fact, I think if the melee system and gun play was more in-depth, it would be more boring. Most games today try to go way into gun play and other mechanics which makes it no longer fun. If you remember classic games all it would be is click and shoot, and it was fun! because its basic and feels old school. This game feels like it has had so much effort put into it, especially for an Xbox arcade game, I really wouldn't be surprised if it got a retail release due to success! it really does the zombie genre proud! Expand
  30. Jun 13, 2013
    sooooooooooo disappointed with this game. Its so repetitive.
    iam still wait for a great zombie game. I waited 5 months for this game and iam so angry.
  31. Jun 11, 2013
    I'm really down with the whole realistic zombie survival thing we have going at the moment across most platforms. This game while undeniably buggy in places does a very good job at making the tension run high due to prema death. After you work on a character for quite a few hours and lose them it feels like that time u lost your best man in Xcom. where the game seems to fall short is the aI'm really down with the whole realistic zombie survival thing we have going at the moment across most platforms. This game while undeniably buggy in places does a very good job at making the tension run high due to prema death. After you work on a character for quite a few hours and lose them it feels like that time u lost your best man in Xcom. where the game seems to fall short is the a few menu systems. The whole build up your home base idea is fantastic but a little confusing at first. Put it this way i knew i had to get mats to build with and i knew the mats were the little blocks in the menu screen. but i wasnt quite sure where to get them. I finally realized after exploration i needed to get the bulk from building sites and such which is pretty obvious when i think about it. But there was nothing that told me this in the beginning (at least nothing i noticed) i only found out after exploration which is also great but there was still no hint at this. Now im not saying i need my hand held through all games i play not at all i love the freedom its great. The thing is these things don't stand out when they are an integral part of the game. a casual gamer will just skim the surface of these things and not look twice. And this is a shame because this adds so much more depth to the game. On the side of glitches i never really ran into game breakers. Although i did have a glitch where on of my towns people i sent on a mission to pick up supplies. It was just after u move to the church and she moved all the way to the top of the map i didn't tell here to go here) and just stayed there. I went up to find her and she was just standing there till i arrived at which point she ran into a wall and stayed there. She did not come back to the home town again till i moved base again. Like i said not game breaking but very frustrating. Also had a few zombies with bad path-finding similar to that of day Z but still not to bad. that's the bad done so now onto the good. I really liked the looting system the fact u could rush the process but it makes more noise and attracts more Zs very cool. The freedom of the map was excellent, being able to go into every building i found was very satisfying in a exploration sense. The building of your base as confusing as it could be was great and the stat boost that came with it was very welcome. The leveling system was similar to that of skyrim, use a skill more often and you'll level it up faster. And perma death like i said earlier, i love perma death i think it adds a tension you cant get any other way. any game with this option i always use it and to then move onto a new character when you die and have to run back to grab the loot from the dead player was great. all in all i really enjoyed my time here with a few minor bug fixes this game could be much better. But in the end its a fantastic zombie survival game if your not sick of bashing in zombies brains and shooting them in the face this is a must have Expand
  32. Jun 9, 2013
    In a nutshell, its a poor man's Grand Theft Zombie. They take a lot of interesting ideas and pull them off some of the time. The game falls down in the areas of repetitive quests and uninspired combat. The day night cycle makes driving a pain at night and the twitchy driving controls don't help. Anytime you enter a cut-scene you have to wait it out... no skipping over boring dialogueIn a nutshell, its a poor man's Grand Theft Zombie. They take a lot of interesting ideas and pull them off some of the time. The game falls down in the areas of repetitive quests and uninspired combat. The day night cycle makes driving a pain at night and the twitchy driving controls don't help. Anytime you enter a cut-scene you have to wait it out... no skipping over boring dialogue you've read long before the actors actually speak it.

But despite the weaknesses, they do a great job with some of the core concepts. You are continuously bombarded with quest options, many of which may either save new potential recruits or ask you to save an already recruited friend in trouble somewhere. You may be sent to kill zombie infestation, or strike a deal with neighbors with ambiguous intentions. You can switch between certain friends you have recruited and brought home once your current character gets injured or just tired out. Fatigue is a major game play factor. And perma-death is a real risk for characters you may have used and leveled up often, although there usually others for you to switch to, albeit with less development.

I enjoyed the music well enough to not turn it off, which for me is unusual. The sound design works. You almost always know where the zombies are coming from, even when you can't see them. There are some clipping errors where they pop through walls or through closed doors. While annoying, it doesn't happen rampantly enough to ruin game play. The "barricade" mechanic is used as a gimmick in some missions, but isn't useful otherwise, and your barricades disappear when you leave and come back later. Your group collects resources you have scavenged and either brought back yourself, or radioed in for someone else to come get the items you have found at that location. It is interesting, but as you can only carry one pack at a time and can only call friends out a couple times a day it can get tedious trying to accumulate enough materials to start up in a new location or build a new tent in your mini fort, such as sleep areas or medical tents.

For poor technical performance and the inability to skip cut scene dialogue performance I'd take a point and that's being nice.. For repetitive combat, original but repetitive quests, useless features like "barricading", the incredibly boring and annoying "morale" quests, an un-fun scavenging mechanic and too much needless driving with twitchy cars, and many other little issues that detract more than contribute for another two points off.

I give it a 7. There are many great ideas here, and the game is a good value for it's price. Whether you can slog it out for long haul or not, you should find it a worthy distraction. I am excited for the developers to take their success here (second fastest selling game of all time on XBLA after Minecraft) and build on it for a more refined second pass sometime in the future.

I like seeing these larger games for reasonable prices, like Far Cry Blood Dragon or the new Call of Juarez releases on XBLA and don't feel bad about supporting this one at this price anyway.
  33. Jun 9, 2013
    Extremely overrated,
    I jumped on the hype train, so to speak, wanting to experience a game that promised to be atmospheric open-world and unforgiving. Instead I got a buggy and unfair experience.
    First let me start off with the positives: 1. The atmosphere is great 2. Some character's are memorable 3. Open-world. 4. Survival element 5. The amount of activities 6. Non-linearity.
    Extremely overrated,
    First let me start off with the positives:
    1. The atmosphere is great
    2. Some character's are memorable
    3. Open-world.
    4. Survival element
    5. The amount of activities
    6. Non-linearity.

Elements that were...meh:
    1. Graphics are Ok at best.
    2. Dialogues are ok most of the time, but sometimes certain discussions arise that make absolutely no sense, for example one of the protagonists gets very defensive and emotional about a character they literally knew 5 minutes).

Aspects that absolutely sucked:
    1. Bugs and frame rate wouldn't mind it that much if not for: constant clipping through walls, zombies that can see through walls, texture load time after starting a new game (I got one of my best characters killed off just because zombies didn't load in properly).
    2. Brainless combat system mash the x button until something dies.
    3. Super zombies are BS I must have had the worst or something because I literally stumbled upon them every 8 minutes. You will probably break any weapon you carry due to the amount of hp the zombie has. They jump out from absolutely nowhere and take out half of your HP if they pummel you to the ground.
    4. I will endorse perma-death ONLY if its as a consequence of the player's mistakes. I lost my first character, because the zombies that were hitting me didn't load in properly. I lost my second character, because the camera got stuck behind some bushes, while I was swatting aimlessly at zombies that attacked me from behind. I lost my third character, because the idiotic AI decided to block an entrance to a house, resulting in me getting ganked by 10 zombies.

The aforementioned negatives completely destroyed my gaming experience. Its not a terrible game, so if you are willing to look past some of it's glaring drawbacks, you should definitely at least check out the trial version.
  34. Jun 7, 2013
    For me, I'm finding it quite boring. It's a scavenger hunt mixed with whack-a-mole combat. It's not a particularly good looking game, poor framerates are a constant. There is a perma-death aspect, but unless you're running around like an idiot the game is pretty easy. Idk, it's ok, apparently some people think it's amazing. It's only $20 so there is that.
  35. Jun 6, 2013
    I have no clue how this passed Microsoft certification but performance wise this game is horrible Constant frame-rate issues, stuttering, extreme slowdowns on level of detail pop-in and full-blown screen-tearing. All that on CryEngine 3 with average graphics 0_o I kinda expected a little bit more polished product especially when its a time exclusive title published by Microsoft itself andI have no clue how this passed Microsoft certification but performance wise this game is horrible Constant frame-rate issues, stuttering, extreme slowdowns on level of detail pop-in and full-blown screen-tearing. All that on CryEngine 3 with average graphics 0_o I kinda expected a little bit more polished product especially when its a time exclusive title published by Microsoft itself and has a entry fee of $20, So if you are a PC person or really picky when it comes to that kinda stuff wait for PC port. Expand
  36. Jul 13, 2013
    To start off i loved the game its fun and addictive, there were a few things that did help lower the rating a bit. Aside from the janky bits (lets be honest if you let some jank ruin the gaming experience, you are nothing more than a spoiled child). The wish list is pretty short for this one ,more storyline, more interaction with the other survivors and maybe a few more add ons, as far asTo start off i loved the game its fun and addictive, there were a few things that did help lower the rating a bit. Aside from the janky bits (lets be honest if you let some jank ruin the gaming experience, you are nothing more than a spoiled child). The wish list is pretty short for this one ,more storyline, more interaction with the other survivors and maybe a few more add ons, as far as base building goes. The atmosphere leaves a little bit to be desired as there is very little fear involved in scavenging. The "zombies" are fine and i even like the juggernaut as he really instills fear into the game play. over all this is a good game, that will eat a lot of your time and is well worth the money. Lets hope that undead labs can continue to add on and refine this game as it has potential to be a game you could play for a long time. Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 7, 2013
    An entertaining zombie apocalypse sandbox. It's a bit rough visually, but makes up for it with a persistent world. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    It's not the most beautiful and polished game, but the end of the world with all it’s small and big problems rarely felt this real.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Sep 4, 2013
    The Last of Us meets The Sims, mashed, salted and served with a few lumps. [Oct 2013, p.64]