7.2

1. Jun 5, 2013
    Such a fun game to play! So much content and things to do and the fact that it's an Xbox Live Arcade game blows my mind. A must get for all zombie fans. Something original, fresh and and new.
  2. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is a time consuming, absorbing entertaining thrill ride. I've just got off my xbox after a 15 hour gaming session, in which I've hardly made a dent in it. The little things make this game, like the resource gathering and the ability to change character and home, etc. Some of the craziest stuff can happen, for instance my car broke down when I was in the middle of no where and I had hike back to my base with just a baseball bat and a few snacks. It's things like that, which make this game. If you can look over its obvious flaws like the frame rate issue, the glitches and the occasional face palm moment, you'll find a game which really can be admired and loved. At it's core it feels like an old school game. If you're a fan of casual games which go easy on you, this probably wont be for you. This is a game us zombie fans and survival fans have all been waiting for and although it isn't perfect, it's an incredibly good, deep and well thought out game. I can tell this is something I'll be playing for months to come. Expand
  3. Jun 5, 2013
    good game way better then WarZ even better then dayZ but of course it is coz dayz is a mod anyways this game kicks ass
  4. Jun 5, 2013
    big, scary and awesome; it's reminds me of walking dead season 1. the game has its flaws, but nothing that ruins it. scavenge, build bases, make friends and enemies and beat zombies to pulp. i also love that death is permanent (but you can play as any ally from your base).

you need to try this game.
  5. Jun 6, 2013
    In two days I have played this game for 14 hours, I still haven't finished it, and every moment has been fantastic fun. Yes the game has some issues, but I can over look all of these issues because how thrilling this game can be. It is a survival game, taking on zombies should be avoided, and when your best character is cornered it is terrifying, and when you escape by the skin of my teeth it was incredibly satisfying. If you're a fan of zombie games, or even someone looking for something unique, you must absolutely at least give this a try. Expand
  6. Jun 5, 2013
    This game was a blast, it was more another persons try on dead rising or a Day z for people who don't like to watch paint dry. For the price you are getting a great deal.
  7. Jun 6, 2013
    very saddened about this game as I was excited for it but it turned out I was wrong. Firstly the game is too hard and the perma death feature and it's autosaving is obnoxious, and the overpowered "big un" zombie killing two of my best characters on a "zed hunt" leaving me to use the lesser skilled or in my opinion useless members of the base. The had been injured and refused to heal for 4 days straight in game time and even able bodied team members are lazy that they can't sprint for more than 2 seconds.

This game is the embodiment of cruel developers trying to snatch control and fun away from gamers and ruining any hard work a player makes or progress that is made thus leaving them with the bottom of the barrel team members. Also zombies have an unfair grappling animation that is frustrating and overpowered even when the player is a few feet from the car.

0/10 too hard

A really sad attempt by developers to torment and punish gamers with permadeath and creating a depressing result and sucking out any fun there is to be had.
  8. Jun 6, 2013
    With so-so graphics and the occassional frame rate or glitch State of Decay is still a whole lot of fun and intense zombie-killing action! HUGE open world with lots to see and do. Scary, intense and stress-inducing. Clocked almost 15 hours and barely scratched the beginning. Must buy if you are into the whole End of the World Zombie stuff.
  9. Jun 6, 2013
    9/10 because it doesn't include co-op. Amazing arcade game and well worth the $20 admission price. Very well done. Graphics aren't spectacular but the gameplay is. Always something to do. If you like hugs while playing this game will probably drive you crazy because it is constantly trying to kill you. In that I mean it is not easy. Think like a real survivor or else. Don't wander out after dark unprepared and if you wouldn't take on 10 zombies alone in real life you probably shouldn't in this game either, you will die and death is permanent. Expand
  10. Jun 6, 2013
    With the amount of content in this open-world, survival (emphasis on survival) game, $20 is the deal of the century. There are some framerate issues, to be sure, but the game itself is unbelievably compelling and I can't put it down. Very, very impressed.

In addition to the exploration and zombie fighting, there's an interesting fort/companion management mode that really serves to
    invest the player in keeping the fort safe and the companions alive. The huge open world is full of interesting places to check out and loot, and the Assassin Creed-like survey points help you scope out the best places.

With Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and now State of Decay, 2013 has seemingly been the year of the arcade game so far. I see this as a great thing as each of those games have impressed me, especially at what they are each priced at.

State of Decay is a great game that really deserves the attention it's getting. A very solid 9 score for me.
  11. Jun 5, 2013
    Without a doubt in my mind the best zombie game I've ever played. The game feels nice, looks nice, and plays nice. Definitely one for the zombie killer in all of us. I strongly recommend it.
  12. Jun 13, 2013
    sooooooooooo disappointed with this game. Its so repetitive.
    iam still wait for a great zombie game. I waited 5 months for this game and iam so angry.
  13. Jun 16, 2013
    Very fun game! Love the idea and it plays very well but the reason I gave it a 6 is because it is clearly not finished. It is sooo bug ridden in some parts can be virtually unplayable! e.g Lag when driving, people going missing right outside you house, and broken animations more! It is bad that Undead labs did not put anywhere that this game is in Alpha, because that is the state it is unofficially in. I would demand for my money back but I actually had some good fun on this game. My advise, wait for a few updates to come out then buy it! Expand
  14. Jun 6, 2013
    Anyone who paid $60 for Dead Island or Left 4 Dead should feel pretty well ripped off by now. This game is $20, and is an objective-based, open world game with a solid narrative to boot. The frame rate drops, but I doubt you'll even care much once the ball gets rolling in this game. You have $20 to spend on a zombie survival game, so do yourself a favor and spend it here.
  15. Jun 7, 2013
    For me, I'm finding it quite boring. It's a scavenger hunt mixed with whack-a-mole combat. It's not a particularly good looking game, poor framerates are a constant. There is a perma-death aspect, but unless you're running around like an idiot the game is pretty easy. Idk, it's ok, apparently some people think it's amazing. It's only $20 so there is that.
  16. Jul 24, 2013
    State of Decay
    Average User Score: 7.5
    State of Decay ImageThink of this game as a hybrid. It combines elements of Left 4 Dead, Dead Island, Dead Rising, Red Dead Redemption (Undead Nightmare) and so on. Add on the element of building a base, keeping it going, expanding it, resource gathering and all the trappings of an RPG and you have one helluva Arcade game. For $20 I dare you to
    find me a better game, if so please let me know. Only reason I didn't give it a 10 same thing most are saying lack of co-op. If they add this on it could become one of the best Arcade games and or best zombies games of this (soon to be over) console generation. Expand
  17. Jun 5, 2013
    State of Decay is one of the few Arcade Games that are worth the money. (1600MSP btw.)
    It has a lot of content and the map has a pretty decent size for a SP-only Open World Arcade Game.
    The controls are pretty good, though you cant change the sensitivity.
    The graphics are not the best, but its an Arcade Game and all about gameplay so I wont complain about that much. The social features
    are great and force you to do something by collecting resources which are needed to keep the base secured and the community happy. The atmosphere is great and you really have to pay attention on what you are doing and how, cause there are a lot of zombies which can get alerted pretty easy if you dont pay attention.
    There also is a huge variety of weapons, gadgets and consumable which can be really useful in some situations.

The negatives are the reason I "only" give 8.5 out of 10:

- you cant adjust brightness in-game
    - some really heavy stuttering sometimes especially when driving in a car )
    - many little bugs but nothing big )
    - some frame drops even with the low-level graphics
  18. Jun 12, 2013
    I was one of the many people very excited for this game and really wanted to like it but sadly I just can not! Besides the terrible graphics (not a big deal being its an arcade game) everything else pretty much sucks too! The combat is just button mashing, the homefront management sucks and every time I start to really begin exploration or even on my way to a mission I get a radio call telling me someone in in trouble so I have to rush and save them! This doesn't provide a sense of tense urgency but rather a huge sense of. "Just let me do something that i actually want to do!" Also wtf is up with every time I turn the game off and come back half of the stuff I collected is gone? Why are you punished for having other things to do in life other than play a garbage game that DOES have potential to be very good. Unfortunately the potential is just that Expand
  19. Jun 6, 2013
    This game can be summed up in one sentence; Grand Theft Auto, with zombies. That's probably over-simplifying things, but it's fair assessment. The mission structure, open-world sandbox & feel of the game are very reminiscent of the GTA franchise, with the sense that this world would continue to function without your presence. SOD is a bit rough around the edges, and feels like a game that would have been at more at home on the PS2, but I was undeniably hooked once I had worked my way through the tutorial missions at the beginning. I haven't really had time to explore the resource management aspect of the game yet (you can strike out from a base of operations, recruiting survivors and scavenging for resources), but there's a definite thrill gained from sneaking into shops or gas stations, looking for medicine, food or fuel to keep your community going. The game seems quite buggy at present, with zombies (or 'zeds', in the games parlance) just popping in randomly sometimes, or glitching through walls. Also, a quick glance at both user and professional reviews will repeatedly mention the camera; it's not great, and can prove annoying when trying to sneak about, especially when hiding in the undergrowth. But it's fiendishly addictive, and I'm now writing this review at 1am after a solid four hours of play, when I had only intended to pop the game on for half an hour or so. Fans of GTA, The Walking Dead and, of course, DayZ will definitely want to check this out, and I can't wait to see what future updates bring. If they enabled online multiplayer/co-op, this game would just explode. Check out the demo, see what you think, and don't be afraid to persevere for a rewarding experience. Expand
  20. Jun 9, 2013
    One of the best arcade titles of 2013. Some much content kept me playing for days. Better than dayz or warz. They exucuted suspense and horror perfectly for a game like this. Well done, undead studios!!
  21. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed everything the game was day z and war z That be and is not, because the only problem in the game for me and the game is not coop, why was this game and perfect upon history. excellent advise playing game Expand
  22. Jun 5, 2013
    Having been disappointed by games like War Z, Dead Island, and Dead Rising this one finally hits the mark that zombie games should be aiming for. State of Decay is a combination of a LOT of genres including survival, action, RPG, strategy, and simulation. While it doesn't exactly nail each of these genres in the gameplay it comes pretty damn close.

SoD is a game that is not based about
    a singular character in a linear storyline but rather a community of characters in a dynamic sandbox environment. Yes, there are missions and quests but they seem to be optional and the player can play at their own pace (with some exceptions). That being said, the difficult does ramp up as you progress further in the storyline. This sort of gameplay is a unique and refreshing take on zombies and you'll be pressured to avoid combat rather then shoot your way through it. This game does feature permanent death so making mistakes can easily and quickly kill off your favorite character causing you to play as another team member.

Characters in the game are mostly semi-randomly generated with the exceptions being storyline or plot characters and, for me, they are the core of the game. While they could use a bit more visual variety (mostly with the heads) they all have unique traits, skills, and abilities that make them valuable to your community. Furthermore, you have an outpost that you call home and can use resources to build additions, upgrade, and perform unique functions with it giving you distinct advantages. These choices matter and are hard; do you build a garden for food or a workshop to repair vehicles? With the pressure this game provides it is difficult to make these difficult decisions.

Downsides of the game is that there are technical hurdles that I hope the developer will fix and the game does tend to become increasingly difficult making it difficult to survive. Some performance lag does occur when driving or when multiple enemies are on the screen at one time. I also find night time terrifying and wish there was an option to just sleep through it. It is also somewhat difficult to trade items and equipment as you must drop everything in storage, switch characters, and then pick it up. Lastly, there is no multiplayer (though the developers have hinted at wanting to do a co-op DLC). I feel that most of these issues can be addressed and resolved through patches, difficulty sliders, and a few game options.

Anyways, SoD is looking to be a huge XBOX Live Arcade hit and is one sale for $18-20 or 1600 MS points. If you've been waiting for that "real" zombie survival simulator then give it a shot.
  23. Jun 6, 2013
    This is by far the best zombie game ever created. Not only is it open world sandbox it also mixes rpg, resource and community management, and it all works fantastically. This has to be Xbox arcade game of the year. It's ambitious and lives up to it promises of being a realistically fun zombie game that you would be brain dead to not buy this! It's only $20 btw soo worth it!!
  24. Jun 11, 2013
    Oh wow, another zombie survival game with an enormous country-side map. If at least they made it in a big city where there's actually something to see, the game could be a little bit interesting. Literally nothing new, the game is another dumb copy of Dayz with some new mechanics to make it a little bit different from the others.

People, please, stop making these games. Leave the zombie
    games to the few companies that really did something smart with this genre and move on to something else, I personally had enough of this.

If you want to play something decent with zombies, buy Arma 2 and play Dayz, buy Dead Rising, or just play to the zombie modes on CoD.
  25. Jun 5, 2013
    Just plain simple fun with nice game play all wrapped up in a $20 XBLA downloadable with plenty to do and with solid interactions with the AI this game is a must have for any one who loves the Zombie-Survival genre
  26. Jun 6, 2013
    Best sandbox game I've ever played. A true zombie survival game.After playing for hours i have lost only 1 survivor and i learned you have to be careful and don't bash every zombie you see. As for the downs. Boarding up windows for me just delays finishing off a zombie attack on your neighbors and the frame rates is little off sometimes. But it doesn't bother my game play at all. I love that you can run out of supplies in the town and cars don't re-spawn. Once an item or survivor is gone, they are gone. Making this a true survival game. Leveling up is excellent. There is always something to do. Mission, building friendship and moral, and just scavenging for supplies. All this just for 20$. Expand
  27. Jun 7, 2013
    The Zombie game we've all been waiting for, i think that pretty much sums up State of Decay. All that you could wish for in a survival horror game is here. Fun satisfying melee combat with plenty of weapons of all different varieties from machetes to baseball bats, lots of guns with sparse amounts of ammunition that needs to be scavenged and even craft able silencers to remain undetected. There's stealth kills and sneaking, there's full on battles with different combos to behead or de-leg zombies. There's skills to build and special moves to learn.. There's allies to find and bring back to your personal safe haven that you yourself can find and build around using materials found whilst scavenging the local towns and campsites. You can drive in cars at the risk of alerting hoards or you can choose to run if you have the stamina. You can make friends with local enclaves that will help you should you ask, for example i helped an army officer who then offered me the use of his mortar teams should i find myself in a sticky situation. There's literally too much to put down in this review, why waste time writing when i need to be scavenging medical supplies for my injured fellow survivors.. The thing that prevents me from giving State of Decay a 10/10 is the occasional technical glitch that often accompanies such ambitious titles and lets not forget that this is a £15 arcade title.If you like zombies, RPGs, horror, survival, looting, item management or just pummeling a zombies brains in go buy this game, i promise you that you wont regret it! Expand
  28. Jun 29, 2013
    This is the buggiest game I have ever seen. It has lots of screen freeze too many bugs because of lazy programming and poor testing.

They are basically using you to be a paying beta tester. BUYERS BEWARE!!
  29. Jun 6, 2013
    While I disagree with those who award the game a 10, I do completely understand their enthusiasm. The game is good... in fact really good... bordering on great... but there are some obvious problems that keep it from being a 10 IMO. Some problems like texture pop ins, dated graphics, clipping issues... etc. But with that said this does nothing to detract from the core gameplay mechanics... and in a nutshell it is the gameplay that is the star here. From what I understand the game is almost like a beta for a planned MMO zombie game... if this is true then the game developer is off to a good start and on the right track.

I will not go into the gameplay mechanics that make the game so good as others have already made some great comments on this already. But if you like zombies, RPG's, and survival horror then this is the game for you!
  30. Jun 9, 2013
    In a nutshell, its a poor man's Grand Theft Zombie. They take a lot of interesting ideas and pull them off some of the time. The game falls down in the areas of repetitive quests and uninspired combat. The day night cycle makes driving a pain at night and the twitchy driving controls don't help. Anytime you enter a cut-scene you have to wait it out... no skipping over boring dialogue you've read long before the actors actually speak it.

But despite the weaknesses, they do a great job with some of the core concepts. You are continuously bombarded with quest options, many of which may either save new potential recruits or ask you to save an already recruited friend in trouble somewhere. You may be sent to kill zombie infestation, or strike a deal with neighbors with ambiguous intentions. You can switch between certain friends you have recruited and brought home once your current character gets injured or just tired out. Fatigue is a major game play factor. And perma-death is a real risk for characters you may have used and leveled up often, although there usually others for you to switch to, albeit with less development.

I enjoyed the music well enough to not turn it off, which for me is unusual. The sound design works. You almost always know where the zombies are coming from, even when you can't see them. There are some clipping errors where they pop through walls or through closed doors. While annoying, it doesn't happen rampantly enough to ruin game play. The "barricade" mechanic is used as a gimmick in some missions, but isn't useful otherwise, and your barricades disappear when you leave and come back later. Your group collects resources you have scavenged and either brought back yourself, or radioed in for someone else to come get the items you have found at that location. It is interesting, but as you can only carry one pack at a time and can only call friends out a couple times a day it can get tedious trying to accumulate enough materials to start up in a new location or build a new tent in your mini fort, such as sleep areas or medical tents.

For poor technical performance and the inability to skip cut scene dialogue performance I'd take a point and that's being nice.. For repetitive combat, original but repetitive quests, useless features like "barricading", the incredibly boring and annoying "morale" quests, an un-fun scavenging mechanic and too much needless driving with twitchy cars, and many other little issues that detract more than contribute for another two points off.

I give it a 7. There are many great ideas here, and the game is a good value for it's price. Whether you can slog it out for long haul or not, you should find it a worthy distraction. I am excited for the developers to take their success here (second fastest selling game of all time on XBLA after Minecraft) and build on it for a more refined second pass sometime in the future.

I like seeing these larger games for reasonable prices, like Far Cry Blood Dragon or the new Call of Juarez releases on XBLA and don't feel bad about supporting this one at this price anyway.
  31. Jun 6, 2013

0/10 too hard

1. Oct 7, 2013
    An entertaining zombie apocalypse sandbox. It's a bit rough visually, but makes up for it with a persistent world. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    It's not the most beautiful and polished game, but the end of the world with all it’s small and big problems rarely felt this real.
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    The Last of Us meets The Sims, mashed, salted and served with a few lumps. [Oct 2013, p.64]