7.7

1. Feb 29, 2012
    I'm not sure how this game was in 2007 but lets talk about it now in 2012 after at least some updates. Fantastic game. According to previous reviews read I didn't think this game looked worth a look but it is fantastic. The Hong Kong Crime Spree/Mob vs Cop game didn't really appeal to me but I decided to play this none the less and really admire this game for many reasons. The action inI'm not sure how this game was in 2007 but lets talk about it now in 2012 after at least some updates. Fantastic game. According to previous reviews read I didn't think this game looked worth a look but it is fantastic. The Hong Kong Crime Spree/Mob vs Cop game didn't really appeal to me but I decided to play this none the less and really admire this game for many reasons. The action in this game is non stop and mimics action movies with my highest praise. Never were there any dead spots in this game. Enemy wise we have and notice different ranks in the characters and they do not always spawn in the exact position on every level every time so gameplay can be different each time you play much like Killzone 2. The story is not stand still cut scenes and is very well implemented and the cut scenes compliment the gameplay thus immersion very well. Strategy wise this game forces you to adapt different game styles each chapter. I'm a slow cautious FPS/TPS style I like to pick off certain enemies then when safe go in hard and finish off the brutes. This style only works on some chapters so there was a lot of forethought in the making of this game. Other chapters force you to go into a fire fight and be very aggressive. My small complaints with this game and they are minor but apparent are that the camera can have a bit of a mind of its own as it blends FPS and Third person shooter characterization at the same time and can zoom in and out on its own sometimes - also in some set piece battles you run out of ammo and pick up a replacement weapon you at all costs did not want to pick up in the fray of an intense battle and then have no means to discard it easily. Apart from that this game was a fantastic roller coaster of action and FPS/TPS goodness. Gameplay was quite varied from typical FPS/TPS to set piece firefights to helicopter rampages to cutscenes standoffs (which actually i didn't care for). Regardless there is entertaining diversity you have to appreciate as it alleviates boredom and also adds to immersion in the characters and story. I don't have any complaints about the graphics they are easily average to above average of all the games I've played. Overall I'd definately say this is the biggest sleeper or hidden gem game I've played that I've never really heard anyone talk about back in the day. I've never really been into story and never ever became immersed in a shooter game with respect to the charcters. Expand
  2. Oct 21, 2010
    Meh. If you took out the bullet time you'd just have a generic third-person shooter. The plot's bad, the level design is dull, and there isn't much variety. Just a few guns, just a few enemy types, some enemies instantly kill you if they melee you. The way the game relies on bullet time to make things interesting is like eating a tub of frosting for dessert; it's got part of the equation,Meh. If you took out the bullet time you'd just have a generic third-person shooter. The plot's bad, the level design is dull, and there isn't much variety. Just a few guns, just a few enemy types, some enemies instantly kill you if they melee you. The way the game relies on bullet time to make things interesting is like eating a tub of frosting for dessert; it's got part of the equation, but it's missing so much more. Worth a rental or a bargain bin purchase. Collapse
  3. Nov 26, 2011
    Absolutely fun game to play, if a bit dated on some of the graphical points. Still, the nearly unlimited use of bullet time is a Woo classic here, and the fact that it's a nearly direct sequel to the classic Hard Boiled, I'd say it's a win for anyone willing to play it. Give it a shot, if it's not your cup of tea, so be it. But for those of you that enjoy it like I did, that's all it really needs.
  4. Apr 27, 2011
    If you can find this game for about $5 id say go for it. Very repeatitive. Online is empty. Bullet time is cool, though id rather just be playing max payne.
  5. Jul 26, 2011
    A great game, but much of it is a Max Payne rip-off. The story is great, but the gameplay is not original. Even with a John Woo name on it, the game still feels as a pirated DVD.
  6. Jul 4, 2013
    If "Stranglehold" weren't the first name of this game, its second name would naturally be "badass." John Woo, Chow Yun-Fat and Midway games make the style, mechanics, and destructibility brilliantly entertaining.
  7. Jan 18, 2014
    Stranglehold is the most average videogame ever it's not good and not terrible, I do have a soft spot as the game did produce a fond memory of me and my mates being stoned playing the game and finding John Woo's name extremely amusing and making lots of jokes about it. The game itself is just a collection of gameplay elements picked from all over, the worst being a fist fight between coverStranglehold is the most average videogame ever it's not good and not terrible, I do have a soft spot as the game did produce a fond memory of me and my mates being stoned playing the game and finding John Woo's name extremely amusing and making lots of jokes about it. The game itself is just a collection of gameplay elements picked from all over, the worst being a fist fight between cover based shooting and bullet time. This was this generations first greatest hits gameplay compilation with absolutely nothing to stand on it's own two legs with. Expand
  8. Oct 21, 2010

This is the true sequel to "Hard Boiled," which means Stranglehold is more about style than substance. So, not surprisingly, the story is melodramatic and forgettable and the adrenaline-pumping action is the star of the show.
    Stranglehold might stumble occasionally under its own ambitious weight, and might not quite deliver on all its promises and potential, but it's still a unique and absorbing 8-hour tour through a legendary action director's potent unfilmable dreams.
  3. Stranglehold is not a disaster. If you desire nothing more than to kill criminals on a massive scale, turn nightclubs into a war zone, and look cool doing it – this is your game.