8.8

1. MikeShipley
    Nov 30, 2008
    Beautiful visuals and impressive music are a real treat, but the offline play is ridiculously punishing, even on the standard difficulty level, and the online competition is far too hardcore for this game to be enjoyable for even normally capable Street Fighter fans. Unless you have local friends you enjoy playing with, or you are used to fending off wave after wave of challengers in theBeautiful visuals and impressive music are a real treat, but the offline play is ridiculously punishing, even on the standard difficulty level, and the online competition is far too hardcore for this game to be enjoyable for even normally capable Street Fighter fans. Unless you have local friends you enjoy playing with, or you are used to fending off wave after wave of challengers in the arcade, this version may be more infuriating than fun. Casual players stay FAR away. Collapse
  2. LarryOji
    Dec 2, 2008
    I may have worked on the game (helping assemble the new soundtrack for OverClocked ReMix), but of course I love HD Remix regardless of that. Street Fighter II was an important game that got me hooked on both game music and the Street Fighter series in the first place.

Besides UDON creating some excellent art in HD, David Sirlin really put his all into creating a much deeper, more balanced and more sophisticated playing experience by compressing the character tiers. Both Sirlin's vision and his execution of that vision created the foundation of excellence that the rest of us were able to build upon and accentuate.

So HD Remix isn't for everyone, but the gameplay represented in this download is extraordinarily balanced and deep.
  2. A legendary game comes to life again with this amazing remake of the amazing Super Street Fighter II Turbo. HD Remix is awesome, featuring the great combat system with new HD graphics, and game modes like the long waited Online. If you like videogames, you must have this little gem. Without excuse.
    I can answer the more immediate question -- whether HD Remix holds up in online play -- with a resounding "Hell, yes." Backbone wisely co-opted fan-favorite peer-to-peer platform GGPO.net, which you can essentially think of as the netcode equivalent of the Google algorithm. This crazy Internet voodoo works well, and it makes for the most lag-free versus play this side of a brick-and-mortar arcade.