7.3

1. Mar 27, 2013
    I've put over 200 hours into Terraria for the PC. After all of this the console version succeeds in being a true port and holds all of the greatness and fun that the original game did. The controls are smooth (although pretty different from the keyboard & mouse) The graphics are the same charming pixel artwork the PC version held so well and it looks like it'll be fun building back up to where I was on the PC. Overall it's one of the best xbox arcade games I've played in while and the replay value is very high for me. Expand
  2. Apr 2, 2013
    The idea is great. I love the game overall,but the one thing that puts it down is the controls. It's clunky and uncomfortable. Otherwise,great game! (I also love all the customization and crafting you can do.)
  3. Apr 7, 2013
    I plag in mincreft but dis game insted. 2 deep world confuzeen. I lost unergroun somewon halp pleze. I be heer sense Marchge. Tall me familee to eraz histry on bowser. 2/10 stars.
  4. Mar 29, 2013
    Terraria has always been a pleasure of mine, and the Xbox adaption is no exception, at first I thought the controls were difficult, but the different cursor selection really helped. This is quality, content, and fun all in one. For me it's more fun than minecraft, and buddying up with friends just makes it that much more fun.
  5. Jun 3, 2013
    Color scheme is all weird, controls are clunky, crafting glitches not showing all you can craft low unstable FPS, having more then 4 people in a game is unplayable due to lag, when you do lag in multiplier you'll glitch into walls, 15$.....

My advice, go get the PC one when its on sale for $2.50 there are NO problems on that one
  6. Mar 30, 2013
    Terraria has been one of my very favorite games ever since it graced the Steam store back in 2011. I have been amazingly excited for its console release because of the promised extra content. The console version definitely delivers on every front, and stays true to the incredible open feeling Terraria has always had. One small caveat is that the controls take a bit of getting used to after playing over 100 hours on the PC. The thumb sticks are a clunky way to mine in comparison to a smooth mouse. Expand
  7. Apr 11, 2013
    Terraria is oftentimes referred to as the "2D Minecraft", and left at that. While this is true, it's also...so much more, and I feel this was why Minecraft radically changed it's game.

Graphics and Performance: Very clean 2D visuals, with virtually no slowdown, except in the most extreme of circumstances. The environments are very nice and detailed, and react to how you interact with
    them appropriately. The only complain I have are the animations: There's hardly any on the monsters, most of them may as well be still images.

Sound: Relaxing music is a given, but the sound effects are pretty good. All the enemies have their own sound effects, and your weapons make correct sounds, too. If you have a flaming greatsword, you can hear the flames crackling off the blade as you swing.

Control: Overall, it's okay. Jumping can be a bit annoying until you get used to it, but once you get that down, you'll be gathering materials and chopping down monsters like a pro.

Gameplay: Compared to Minecraft, the basics remain the same: Take squares to put on top of other squares in order to build things, gather materials to craft items and gear in a randomly generated world, repeat ad-nausium. That hasn't changed. What has changed is about everything else.

Terraria plays like an Action RPG more than a sandbox game. There is a wide variety of enemies to fight, treasure chests to discover containing rare items, and even giant bosses to take down for rare materials and gear! Unlike Minecraft, where combat feels like an afterthought, it was very much thought of here.

The amount of gear in the game is just insane: Jet boots, grappling hooks, machine guns, speed boosters, meteor-summoning swords...just to name a few! It always feels like there's always something new to find and explore.

It actually reminds me of an old PS2 game I liked, called Dark Cloud. You can build up your town, and as you do, you summon NPCs to live there. These NPCs can heal your wounds, sell you gear and items, or provide helpful advice. The "town building" aspect gives you a motivation to actually build things as opposed to, "build it...just 'cause you can".

Not that there's a shortage of things to build. All kinds of decorations and crazy things you can set up, it's as diverse as the gear you can craft!

There are a few problems, though. The beginning of the game can be absolutely miserable. Once you go underground, you'll find yourself being murdered by enemies you stand no chance against, struggling to survive with your most basic of equipment. You'll fall down a horrible pit, and immediately die. You may run right into the Corruption right into the beginning of the game, and, again, die.

What is the Corruption? It's bad stuff. It slowly spreads around the world, bringing with it rather powerful enemies, deep pits, and thorns to impede your progress. It is interesting how it slowly spreads throughout the world, but running into it early is a death sentence.

This is a game you need to devote a lot of time into. It's not like Minecraft, where you can suddenly start building random stuff, dig a bit, and be like, "Oh, I found Diamond" and suddenly be godlike. You need a LOT of items in order to reach that stage, and this will take a lot of trial and error. If you aren't willing, or able, to invest a lot of time in this game (It takes hours just to start getting beyond the early-level caves), this may not be for you.

If you like building things, which this game does well, it, still, may not be for you. Minecraft has with it wayyy more building options, and, of course, it's in a 3D environment. This makes it way better if all you want to do is build structures, as you both have more to work with, and more in the way of options, such as crazy electronic devices.

However, if an action-packed time sink is what you're after, Terraria is a good jack-of-all-trades. It does a lot of things, and is a master of none of them, but it's a pretty solid experience overall. So much to explore and build, you'll spend weeks, STILL finding things about your first world that you didn't even know about, yet!

Try before you buy, but it really depends on what you like more: Combat and exploration, or building and exploration.
  8. Apr 3, 2013
    Great game, couldn't wait for the Xbox and PS3 release. With all the patches from the pc version plus new bosses, materials, weapons, armors, enemies and just the overwhelming amount of content this is easily one of the best downloadable games you can get. Oh and did I say it's very small in size? And just like Minecraft you can save and upload multiple worlds/characters.
  9. May 1, 2013
    I did not have the pleasure of playing the PC version, but after spending around 30 or more hours with the xbox 360 version, I easily recommend it. The controls are great but do take a bit of time to adjust to, and the game only gets more interesting as you continue to play. It has an excellent way to not hold your hand, but instead, kill you to show you that you need to improve your armor, accessories or weapons. There is just so much content, and the replay value is crazy since the world is all randomized. For those who want a fun platformer with lots of RPG elements, random loot all over the place and a good emphasis on exploration, look no further. 30 hours so far, and I have not even unlocked hard mode, which gives you a whole new set of enemies, items, etc. Amazing game. Expand
  10. May 17, 2013
    While the controls don't carry over as well as they could from the PC to the XBLA port, Terraria is still the great 2D sandbox game people have come to know and love since its release on Steam. It's fun with friends or solo, and provides you with hours upon hours of mindless fun. If you're looking for a time-sink with a charming SNES feel along with one of the best video game soundtracks in recent memory, give Terraria a go. You might be quite happy you did. Expand
  11. Mar 27, 2013
    I have played this game on PC since the first month it was out and instantly liked the HUGE amount of content/items/aspects and the RPG Sandbox mix. 505 Games has done a great job of making this true to it's PC counterpart on Consoles.
  12. Apr 6, 2013
    It's not as precise without a mouse, but it's still just as addictive, and the platforming and combat feel more natural. Aside from a couple glitches, this is a solid port. Full review at http://www.bloodwcinnamon.com/rev/terraria.html
  13. Mar 28, 2013
    This game is so much fun, it's great with friends, and is very challenging, also, I didn't expect anything else from a Terraria game, because it's too great
  14. Apr 5, 2013
    Game is awesome, one of the most successful indie games right behind MineCraft and others. Now its on Xbox, amazing game.. only thing are the controls in which trying to pick is a bit slow but overall get the game and see how fun it is.
  15. Apr 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is very addictive I absolutely love it and my friends think ot is awesomeI would like to say i found a demon altar under my house but I'm not in the corrupted zone Expand
  16. Apr 8, 2013
    I, overall, have put 72 Hours straight into Terraria since it came out on the xbox.Being able to enjoy this experience with my brother has made it Ten times better! The port is absolutely perfect and, unlike minecraft, Terraria came out with the latest update on the xbox. The controls are simple and make the experience a joy. Anyone that has played the pc version of Terraria will find this a fantastic port. Enjoy! Expand
  17. Apr 12, 2013
    I'm not going to deny that Terraria is a great game, and I won't dispute that for some people it fully deserves a "10" rating; however that is not the rating I feel comfortable giving this game. The reason is simple: to me, Terraria is not finished based on what the game promises and what it actually achieves. I don't mean the "oh, we're updating it and brining in new content" kind of unfinished (in fact I'm a staunch supporter of games which use this model to bring early releases to hungry fans); Terraria is unfinieshed in an abandoned kind of way. The features which are fully there are great, and there's a lot of great things to be said about the game, but unfortunately it falls short of what it could and should be. Of course, a lot of this is no fault of the developers; however I wouldn't reccomend Terraria to people unless they wanted a game to invest heavily into. If you want a game where you can build, explore or duke it out in PVP then Terraria offers all of that, however IMO none of these features are fully polished enough to warrant a high score.

That said, if the rumoured update does happen then my rating could well go up...
  18. Apr 9, 2013
    I've played Terraria for pc since 2011 for over 120+ hours. This game is amazing and has a great replay value. The adventure to be the best hero is amazing. Scouring the depths of the world to grow, build ,and create grandiose things.
  19. Apr 16, 2013
    On the PC, i have exactly 347.46 hours of gameplay and still counting, i have maxed out everything quite literally and have made countless videos, and they made a great "transfer on the xbox" i am just a little mad that they didn't do anything really eye opening like adding new armor or something, but i guess it was fine because they were connecting console players to the most amazing world ever. It's worth your money and i hope they add dlc whether it's a new type of tree or armor i don't care. Expand
  20. Apr 24, 2013
    In my opinion, this game is well worth the price of 1,200 Microsoft points. It is very addicting to find all of the amazing items around the randomly generated worlds. The bosses are quite difficult to kill alone but since it's on Xbox you can play with anyone. It's so fun to explore and find something that will just make you so proud of yourself that you found it. Then you can show it off to your friends. The game is just so fun to play overall but the graphics are at a low level but the content in the game goes over the reason for the good graphics. I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes Minecraft or exploration games. Expand
  21. Apr 29, 2013
    Terraria can keep you Engrossed for hours, making you want to explore, build and craft. I hate saying this but it is "like" a 2D Minecraft but also has some of it's own amazing features and content. The amount of different unique items will keep you exploring to find more.

When I played this game with my friends I would stay up for hours trying to find new weapons and tools to show off.
    I have put around a hundred of hours into it! I would highly recommend this game but is allot more funnier playing with people. Collapse
  22. Jun 8, 2013
    When i first heard of Terraria on the Xbox 360, i was thinking it was going to be something like a side-scrolling Minecraft, but it is much more. So many different things to do, let me name them off for you: Building houses for your people to live it, huge/awesome boss battles, so many different ores (the higher you get with more gear, the better and more difficult it gets),and so many more! I only rated it a 7 because the game didn't really get to me (i wasn't hooked like all my other friends were). But overall it's pretty impressive. (Oh, did i forget to mention, in this version there are quite some glitches to look out for, i'm mostly talking about multiplayer WARNING: This game does come with same-console multiplayer ONLY if you have an HD-TV. Expand
  23. Jun 18, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF BULL CRAP. OK let me start of by saying the control scheme is TOTAL BULL. buy the PC version PLEASE I dare you to get the free demo and try to build a house i DARE YOU.
    Don't waste your money with this. Just buy state of decay. thank you
  24. Jun 12, 2013
    This game is still epic on xbox like it was on PC the only bad thing is lag but not so bad you break the controller i love it SO EPIC there are so many more mobs, armor, bosses and just way more fun.
  25. Jun 15, 2013
    Could be better. I My friends were raving about the game and then they invited me over to try it. I did and it wasn't all that good. The controls are hard to understand, and building is almost impossible. It's pretty much a ripoff of Minecraft except with more pointless features. Hard to learn how to do anything and there are so many features, but they take forever to reach. I still can't get past the fact that it's in 2D. It was still fun though, just could use a lot of improvements. Expand
  26. Jul 21, 2013
    Terraria is one of the best indie games around, and has been a favorite on mine since it was originally released on the PC. This Xbox 360 port is not bad at all, and you won't feel bothered by it like you feel on a lot of Xbox ports.
  27. Oct 14, 2013
    It the best game I think I have haven't play with my friends because I don't want to stop playing this game I got it for 7.99 I think it worth 100,000 I would pay for it.
  28. Apr 18, 2014
    PLEASE READ THIIS :[ I hope people actually see this but I was having a good time with the old update and I had just dumped EVRYTHING I HAD into a chest in my world before the new update came out. now that I downloaded it and tried to play my old world so I could get my stuff and now I cant open the WORLD!!! so now my legendary Tizona and all of my dragon armor is gone and also my 7 platinum coins I am hoping that there will be a fix for this SOON! Expand
  29. Jul 21, 2014
    While people consider it as a Minecraft clone, Terraria does a lot of things differently, all of them amazing. The sheer amount of content is staggering. The game is extremely satisfying, giving a brilliant and fair risk and reward feeling. The game's mining, building, exploring and fighting is as extensive as it is wonderful. Completing a task will always translate into another, so much so that you will find it very hard to get bored. Terraria is unrecognized by its quality, and is the most underrated game I can think of. Expand
  30. Jul 23, 2014
    Anyone who has ever said "Terraria is basically 2-D Minecraft" should just stop and play the game. Nearly endless things to find and craft, so much space to explore, and perfect for the person who wants a game to play for fun, for a challenge, or playing with your friends. The content goes far beyond that of minecraft. You can do so many things, fight all the bosses, craft tons of amazing items, go spelunking, try and destroy your friends with the gear you've collected, house and trade with the NPC's for new items, and the list goes on. Terraria is LITERALLY endless fun. Expand
  31. Apr 29, 2013

1. Jun 3, 2013
    It may not be the best possible way to play Terraria, but taken on its own merits the Xbox version is still a triumph.
  2. May 22, 2013
    As absorbing and oddly addictive an experience as you'll find on 360. Just keep an eye on the clock - this game devours hours at a time. [Issue#98, p.81]
  3. May 20, 2013
    It's a slow starter, then, but you'll struggle to find a game this year that offers quite so much as Terraria. [Issue#135, p.122]