8.1

1. Oct 22, 2010
    a intresting game with a really good story for a FPS game . this game was kind of a suprise to me . i really liked the powers you get and they are very useful and fun to wach in use. playing a villian i thought was a nice touch out to take down your uncle for trying to kill you. the graphics are very well done the story grabs you nicely . the gun play is a mixed bag the up close anda intresting game with a really good story for a FPS game . this game was kind of a suprise to me . i really liked the powers you get and they are very useful and fun to wach in use. playing a villian i thought was a nice touch out to take down your uncle for trying to kill you. the graphics are very well done the story grabs you nicely . the gun play is a mixed bag the up close and personal kills look great but range shooting is very iffy .the online is a giant mess and should never be played it was very tacked on . i would have liked to see a sequel to this game. Expand
  2. Sep 21, 2010
    The story has made it a personal favorite of mine, however the game is so unrefined and could have been so much more. Though I cut Starbreeze some slack because I think they operate on a low budget.
  3. Aug 24, 2011
    This is my favorite fps game. great graphics, very good story. Some bugs but the game is great. Waitng to se sequel!!
  4. Aug 4, 2011
    The story line in this game is really amazing, but the gameplay is a little bit strange, Jakie walks as if he has 2 broken legs, and the accuracy on the guns are retarded, but still, this is almost the best game ive played in a long while, mostly becuase of the epic storyline, another bad thing about this game was the terrible multiplayer it was by far the worst, i liked the idea of theThe story line in this game is really amazing, but the gameplay is a little bit strange, Jakie walks as if he has 2 broken legs, and the accuracy on the guns are retarded, but still, this is almost the best game ive played in a long while, mostly becuase of the epic storyline, another bad thing about this game was the terrible multiplayer it was by far the worst, i liked the idea of the game modes, but hated the fact that the multiplayer was an utter lagg fest. In the end, i really enjoyed this game and cant actually wait until the second game. Expand
  5. Nov 21, 2011
    First of all, it's gonna have to be a pretty bad game that can mess up a combination of trigger happy Mafioso style bloodlust and demonic evil-bound carnage. Thankfully this game far from messes it up and instead pulls it off and pulls it off in style! Itâ
  6. Dec 12, 2011
    Graphics 3 STARS: This game is supposed to be played in the dark. Not that you're going to turn off your own light but you are going to flick every light switch in the game or just shoot the hell out of the lightbulbs. Even though you don't shoot out the lights the game is still being to dark even if you're playing with the gamma and light at max. If you're playing with gamma on the maxGraphics 3 STARS: This game is supposed to be played in the dark. Not that you're going to turn off your own light but you are going to flick every light switch in the game or just shoot the hell out of the lightbulbs. Even though you don't shoot out the lights the game is still being to dark even if you're playing with the gamma and light at max. If you're playing with gamma on the max it's to dark in i.e Alleys or behind dumpsters but when you are then going down into the subway station it's too bright so you may need to lower the light settings or gamma settings. For being such an old release for this generation The Darkness has a lot of good spots here and there in the graphics. Lightning when you don't have total darkness is okay for it's time being but when you are in too dark areas you spot pixelated shadows and low res textures. It haves animation worth the price. Awesome animations. The game world is based in New york but it doesn't seem like the big apple since the environment is just boring houses and the city that never sleeps ..... SLEEPS!

Story 1 STAR: It don't want to spoil the main plot(what i know about it) for you guys but for me this plot aint that attractive. The story is being told to you in such a way that it doesn't matter. I've played this game for more then 5 hours and so far i haven't really got it. To me it's just a game of hide and seek. I take the train to every subway station and just go up to the surface and ding here is a part of the story. You're being attacked by people with what seems to be too pale faces. All the sudden you're in "WW2" and shooting what seems to be nazis... i'm just confused. For me this is the biggest problem of it all. I don't get it.

Audio 4 STARS: Something that Starbreeze never fails with is the audio. The audio is awesome and with surround headphones it's incredible. Unfortunately the game have some corny voice acting except the voice acting on the darkness. People in the subway have "dead" sounding voices and sometimes the voices from the darkness sound different than before. Gun sounds are as good as they can be. Gameplay 3 STARS:
    The gameplay is okay for an 2007 shooter but it has some flaws(Control issues both when you play as jackie and as the darkness.) Sometimes the darkness get stuck between wall and ground if your trying to smash a lightbulb. The gun play is close to the second resistance game or for 360 owners Perfect Dark Zero. It's kind of stiff but you will get used to it. The game has alot of cool animations when you're in close combat, unfortunately these are animated and you can't do anything with them so you can't basically die in a close combat situation. When you have your'e time lapse back to ww2 the control issues come forward but that is corrected with excellent gun play. I paid 5$ for this game and it's worth that but i wouldn't pay 59,99 for it. That's for sure. btw. i'm swedish and it's 3am so don't complain about the language.
  7. Apr 8, 2012
    Sick of same old FPS? Then get this 5 years old game. Great graphics. Great story. A nice change in this often stale genre. The AI is a bit mixed. Sometimes the enemy will peak out from behind cars etc. Then will just walk by a dead body. Sometimes the controls can be slightly clunky. But all of this can be forgiven as the game is such a great overall experience. And I picked it up forSick of same old FPS? Then get this 5 years old game. Great graphics. Great story. A nice change in this often stale genre. The AI is a bit mixed. Sometimes the enemy will peak out from behind cars etc. Then will just walk by a dead body. Sometimes the controls can be slightly clunky. But all of this can be forgiven as the game is such a great overall experience. And I picked it up for £5. Absolute bargain. Expand
  8. Feb 28, 2013
    I wanted to like this game, but the controls were way too frustrating and nothing was pulling me forward to keep playing the game. The beginning grabbed me in with its atmosphere, dark music, and the voice of the darkness...but the shoot outs are terrible, the game feels like it wasn't finished. The environments are very bland and there's barely anything to interact with. One thing II wanted to like this game, but the controls were way too frustrating and nothing was pulling me forward to keep playing the game. The beginning grabbed me in with its atmosphere, dark music, and the voice of the darkness...but the shoot outs are terrible, the game feels like it wasn't finished. The environments are very bland and there's barely anything to interact with. One thing I enjoyed about the game was the humor, but even that can't save this game. I payed 5 dollars for this game and it still wasn't worth playing. Expand
  9. Jul 2, 2012
    A great story. However, the gameplay is kinda meh. The targeting system seemed a little awkward to me. I liked using the darkness powers but it was kinda awkward with those too. I loved the story and the voice acting was top notch. I don't like metal music but I felt that the soundtrack was really good. I felt energized when I played it. Either way, a good game.
  10. Aug 8, 2012
    One of the best games I know. Great storyline and great gameplay it also has an amazing sountrack that has made me find out about great artists. If you are going to buy this game BUY IT, it will be the best thing that will happen to you
  11. Oct 14, 2012
    This game is BORING AS HELL. I mean the story is confusing and the graphics and game-play are really stupid and cheap also the main character looks a lot older than a actual 21 year old.
  12. Jun 20, 2013
    One of my all time favorite games. This game all about the story line. It sucks you in and holds you there. Makes you fall in love and makes you HATE every enemy you come accrossed. I never yell at my TV so much as I killed groups of bad guys. Plus make sure you write down phone numbers you find. You will want to call them all.
  13. Jul 4, 2013
    Wow this game was way better than I thought it was gonna be especially for buying it used at GameStop for only $6. The best thing about the game is it story involving the main character Jackie and the being he's fighting against the Darkness. For a game that came out in 2007 the graphics are decent and the gameplay is pretty good as well. Also the fact that you can watch whole tvWow this game was way better than I thought it was gonna be especially for buying it used at GameStop for only $6. The best thing about the game is it story involving the main character Jackie and the being he's fighting against the Darkness. For a game that came out in 2007 the graphics are decent and the gameplay is pretty good as well. Also the fact that you can watch whole tv episodes and old cartoons on the TVs in the game was a really nice touch and have never seen anything like that in a video game. So if you own an Xbox 360 this is a must own game for only $6. Expand
  14. Dec 13, 2013
    Although short in terms of the games I usually play (Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim and the like), the Darkness proves that not all games have to be monumentally long to be superb. You really get a feel for the characters both dark and light. The game was a pleasure from start to finish.
  15. Jan 18, 2014
    This game was bought for me and from the cover art I was led to believe this was a B-movie level production but I gave it a chance and found one of the most compelling experiences the 360 has to offer. It has everything, fantastic art style (that even makes New York not boring for one of the only times this gen), solid gameplay, gripping story line and a great comic book presentation. TheThis game was bought for me and from the cover art I was led to believe this was a B-movie level production but I gave it a chance and found one of the most compelling experiences the 360 has to offer. It has everything, fantastic art style (that even makes New York not boring for one of the only times this gen), solid gameplay, gripping story line and a great comic book presentation. The story runs on the edge of gritty gang crime in New York and adds dark fantasy to the mix but the Darkness is based on a comic book, having not read any of the comics I can not tell you how well it captivates the general ideas, moods and characters. Overall a great videogame and well worth a play, not much replay value but a good chunky single player campaign that can be picked up for very cheap now. Expand
  16. Jun 11, 2014
    The creators did a good job emerging the player to the story and the characters, So much that it feels strangely like your in the game at some moments, even though it's just a videogame, This game emerged me into it like no other game ive ever played, Made me feel uncomfortable at times but there is some light to this game and not all of it was morbid, I wish more games could immerge thereThe creators did a good job emerging the player to the story and the characters, So much that it feels strangely like your in the game at some moments, even though it's just a videogame, This game emerged me into it like no other game ive ever played, Made me feel uncomfortable at times but there is some light to this game and not all of it was morbid, I wish more games could immerge there players like in this game instead of the typical shootemup. Expand
  17. Jun 18, 2014
    Without a doubt, the first thing that will catch your eye after you slip The Darkness into your drive is the incredible job the folks at Starbreeze did on nailing all of the little details that immerse a player in a world. The presentation is top-notch, from the menus to the cutscenes, each of which happens in real-time. As you explore the world, you'll likely notice dozens of littleWithout a doubt, the first thing that will catch your eye after you slip The Darkness into your drive is the incredible job the folks at Starbreeze did on nailing all of the little details that immerse a player in a world. The presentation is top-notch, from the menus to the cutscenes, each of which happens in real-time. As you explore the world, you'll likely notice dozens of little things that catch your eye, be it the graffiti in the subway stations or the peeling paint in the abandoned buildings. There's no doubt about it: this is next-gen eye candy. Our only real qualms with the whole open-world thing is the fact that you need to travel across town using subway stations which, while very realistic, are just as much a pain in the ass as they are in the real world.

The first half hour or so of the game feels like a fairly standard first-person shooter, albeit one that looks excellent. Jackie's weapons of choice are dual-wielded pistols, although you'll find plenty of old standbys (shotguns, rifles, etc.) as you progress through the game. When you're dual-wielding, each of the triggers fires a weapon, while the left trigger is used for melee attacks when using a single firearm. It's likely that you won't use the firearms that much once you unlock the Darkness powers, but it's always nice to have them handy. One of the coolest gunplay elements is the ability to pull off "execution-style" kills when you're close to a foe. It's a lot of nasty, noisy fun that fits in perfectly with game's twisted theme.

Although the shooter is all well and good, it's the Darkness powers that really make the game special. After a little while, you'll gain the ability to send out a snake-like appendage called The Creeping Darkness. You can use this guy to sneak through vents (allowing you to open locked doors from the other side) or simply send it off to literally bite the faces off of your foes. They also have the ability to devour the hearts of your fallen enemies, which allows you to gain more power when you're in the dark. You'll also earn a tentacle that can impale foes and smash out lights, as well as Darkness-powered pistols that actually aren't quite as cool as they sound. You'll need to spend a bit of time in the shadows to fill up your stores of Darkness power.

The most powerful of the Darkness powers is the Black Hole, which sucks anything within about 20 feet into a swirling vortex. While this power is impressive, it's actually too overpowered and makes the last few hours of the action a lesson in repetitive gameplay. Actually, all of the Darkness powers are like that, and you'll probably spend most of the game killing enemies in an area, breaking all of the lights to power back up, then moving on to the next batch of enemies. This "lather, rinse, repeat" style of gameplay gets old around the 5 hour mark, which is only about halfway through the game. Of course, you could always just fight your way through with the firearms at your disposal, but then you'll be missing out on the gory fun.

While the Darkness powers add a nice bit of fun to the game, the "Darklings" that you can conjure are simultaneous awesome and annoying. When you're in Darkness mode, you can stand near any of the portals on the ground and create one of several mean little imps. The Darklings come in a variety of flavors, from the Berserkers that jump on your enemies to the Kamikazes that will act as suicide bombers (they can clear paths or kill baddies). The one that comes in most handy is probably the Lightkiller, who can enter a room and destroy any light that threatens you. Although the Darklings are a blast to watch (they'll urinate on your dead enemies or say some horribly inappropriate things), they can be extremely frustrating to control at times.

Once you're done with the single-player campaign (which, unfortunately, has a disappointing ending), you can take the action online against your buddies. The Darkness features some fairly run-of-the-mill multiplayer gametypes, but the proceedings are improved by the fact that you can play as a human, a darkling, or a shapeshifter. This make the multiplayer fun for a while, but the action is ultimately hindered by poor controls and an unstable framerate. The maps are all surprisingly small, too, which theoretically keeps the action intense, but in reality just makes everything that much more confusing. If you don't have an Xbox Live account you can play via System Link, but there's no splitscreen mode or anything for single-box play.

In the end, the development team may have been a little too ambitious, as the game tries some new things, succeeding in some areas and falling just short in others. The presentation and visuals are absolutely top-notch, but the gameplay ultimately becomes a bit too repetitive and the multiplayer feels tacked-on. Still, this is definitely a promising next-gen start for the folks at Starbreeze, and I can't wait to see what they've got in store for us next time.

1. The back-and-forth structure is tedious, and the narrative needed to be much more fleshed-out. Too bad great loading-screen treatments can't make up for overall shortcomings.
  2. Part of The Darkness’s charm is its wealth of extravagant, often irrelevant detail.
    A fantastic game with an engaging story that only manages to slip up towards the end. The unforgiving amounts of violence are enjoyable and the demonic powers more than make up for its lack of innovation in the gunplay department.