8.4

1. Nov 13, 2011
    I originally thought that this game was one of those stupid JRPG games that have medieval castles with motor cycles and faries, and I don't usually play Medieval style games but I gave Skyrim a try, and I was amazed, and surprised that a game like Skyrim was good. I was playing practically all day, and I couldn't seem to get myself off the game. It is really enjoyable, yes it will onlyI originally thought that this game was one of those stupid JRPG games that have medieval castles with motor cycles and faries, and I don't usually play Medieval style games but I gave Skyrim a try, and I was amazed, and surprised that a game like Skyrim was good. I was playing practically all day, and I couldn't seem to get myself off the game. It is really enjoyable, yes it will only last you roughly two hours if you stick with the main quests. However if you do the side quests there is about 50-60 hours worth of content in this game.

I really love the enchanting the weapons and armor. It allows you to take a special effect from one weapon and apply it to another weapon.

I really recommend Skyrim, even if you haven't played Oblivion before.
  2. Nov 12, 2011
    Don't listen to any of the haters, Skyrim is definitely a worthy entry in the revered Elder Scrolls franchise, and a fantastic game over all. Yeah, the texture issue sucks, but Bethesda is working on it. A lot of these bad reviews are from trolls who live to stir s*** up for laughs. Anyway, on to the review. I've played Elder Scrolls since 2004, and one thing loved about every game wasDon't listen to any of the haters, Skyrim is definitely a worthy entry in the revered Elder Scrolls franchise, and a fantastic game over all. Yeah, the texture issue sucks, but Bethesda is working on it. A lot of these bad reviews are from trolls who live to stir s*** up for laughs. Anyway, on to the review. I've played Elder Scrolls since 2004, and one thing loved about every game was the freedom to do what I want, when I wanted. I'll admit, when I was first given the freedom to freeroam in Skyrim, I felt overwhelmed; the game world feels extremely vast, with sweeping plains and imposing mountains. Bethesda has done an excellent job of making the world feel gigantic. One minor disappointment I do have however is the inability to choose major/minor skills. The ability to level up every ability is nice and fluid, but at the same time it also feels a little messy, because you're unsure of what archtype to play as. Anyway, that's just a minor, personal gripe. One thing I LOVE however is how powerful some of the enemies are. In Morrowind, you could go anywhere, but stray too far and you die quickly. This really made you wanted to increase your skills, and when you finally killed that difficult enemy, you felt bad ass. In Oblivion, this wasn't the case; I rarely died in that game, even on harder difficulties. Skyrim however, taught me a lesson; never bum rush a frost troll at a low level with a weak fire spell.

Another thing I absolutely adore is how they used some of the songs from Morrowind. I loved Morrowind, so having that nostalgia kick in while I explore the countryside is a real treat. The original soundtrack is equally fantastic. In terms of actual gameplay, it really comes down to opinion. The magic is VERY improved over Oblivion, and is a blast to use. The dual-wielding aspect works incredibly well, and gives you a nearly endless variety of ways to play. The spriting mechanic works, but is merely average. Aiming with the bow has also been improved, and no longer feels clunky and slow like in Oblivion; you also move slowly while aiming with the bow now, so you have to think more tactically; no more circling that bear and pelting it with arrows until it falls. I also love the kill animations; they're pretty infrequent, but extremely satisfying when they happen. All in all, Skyrim is a fantastic title that everyone should play, regardless if you haven't played any other elder scrolls. it's a little rough around the edges, but then again, so is Skyrim's terrain. Buy it, play it, love it.
  3. Nov 21, 2011
    alright ive seen alot of trollin on here, how is there repetitve visuals? the landscape is very much varied, everything from frozen tundras, snowy mountains, swamps, forests, and alot of brilliantly made dungeons. i think this game is gonna be game of the year. everything is significantly improved from oblivion.. sure the games buggy, but it doesnt detract from the overall game, i putalright ive seen alot of trollin on here, how is there repetitve visuals? the landscape is very much varied, everything from frozen tundras, snowy mountains, swamps, forests, and alot of brilliantly made dungeons. i think this game is gonna be game of the year. everything is significantly improved from oblivion.. sure the games buggy, but it doesnt detract from the overall game, i put atleast 120 hours and im not bored of it and the game crashed twice.. honestly i dont have any issues with this game at all, its a game that i can actually call a work of art. the graphics are really good, a big upgrade from oblivion, now im not gonna say it has the most intuitive combat system, but it is improved from oblivion. all in all, this is probably the best n the series, most content rich game ive ever had the joy of playing. good job bethesda, you really have outdone yourself haha. worth every nickle and dime for this game. Expand
  4. Dec 14, 2011
    Something is seriously wrong with this game! I can't seem to reach any destination I'm suppose to get to! ZZZZZZ!! Major snooze fest too, boring, full of bugs and glitches!! No wonder they reduced the price of it after 4 weeks!!! Terrible game
  5. Nov 13, 2011
    Incredible Rpg game. The graphics and gameplay are absolutely stunning. The plot and environment is awesome. There is a huge epic scale of things to explore. It feels like playing a single player mmorpg. I'm 20 hours in and still haven't scratched the surface because there is so much things to do such as exploring dungeons, crafting, and enchanting. This game draws you in and keeps youIncredible Rpg game. The graphics and gameplay are absolutely stunning. The plot and environment is awesome. There is a huge epic scale of things to explore. It feels like playing a single player mmorpg. I'm 20 hours in and still haven't scratched the surface because there is so much things to do such as exploring dungeons, crafting, and enchanting. This game draws you in and keeps you wanting to play more. Expand
  6. Nov 13, 2011
    this is one of the best games i ever played it is so good in every aspect luckily i havent experienced one glitch yet and have played for 30 hours it has an amazing world to explore its my 2nd favourite rpg game fallout 3 being first and my 4th favourite game of all time (u2 first fallout 3 2nd uncharted 3 3rd) but i will be playing this game forever :)
  7. Nov 12, 2011
    The game is AMAZING!
    I never played that good, that interesting, that long, it's **** everything!
    It's better than Oblivion, Fallout, Dragon Age:Origins or any other good RPG game!
    This game is a MASTERPIECE.
  8. Nov 30, 2011
    Skyrim is one of the beat games ever to be released,bar none. The best this year no doubt. It literary has hundreds of hours of gameplay, vast sprawling cities, tons of small settlements and an extremely detailed and beautiful wilderness to explore. Though i was disappointed in the "main" story line, to me it just didnt seem as long as oblivion or other previous similar titles. Even thoughSkyrim is one of the beat games ever to be released,bar none. The best this year no doubt. It literary has hundreds of hours of gameplay, vast sprawling cities, tons of small settlements and an extremely detailed and beautiful wilderness to explore. Though i was disappointed in the "main" story line, to me it just didnt seem as long as oblivion or other previous similar titles. Even though the main story quest was short to me afterwards there are still literally tons of things to experience from joining several types of guilds, cave and dungeons to explore. The leveling up system to me was a little confusing to me at first but i grew to love it and i can navigate through the menus on the fly easily. There is so much to do here in the game it is definitely worth the money, i highly recommend it. As for the people who comeon here abd say the game crashes and freezes, well im not calling them liars but im willing to bet their system is going to crap, i havent had one technical issue with this game. I give this a 9.5 out of 10. I hope this helps folks out. Expand
  9. Dec 14, 2011
    I have never played such a broken unplayable game in my life! I was only able to play the game for 4 hours (on xbox 360), but within that time all I saw were glitches, confusing ineterfaces, and zero direction. They don't even tell you how to play, so I wasted 20 minutes getting frustrated trying to get out of the area where you create your character! Once I finally found my way, every.I have never played such a broken unplayable game in my life! I was only able to play the game for 4 hours (on xbox 360), but within that time all I saw were glitches, confusing ineterfaces, and zero direction. They don't even tell you how to play, so I wasted 20 minutes getting frustrated trying to get out of the area where you create your character! Once I finally found my way, every. single. enemy was frozen! Everyone stood still, even as I hacked at them with my sword. Elk were rigid and still in the forest, travelers weren't traveling, just standing around, and nobody in the first town could move. I restarted the game, which got them moving, but the glitches didn't end there. The game is a bore when working, but not even fun to laugh at the rest of the time. If it works I could see why people enjoy it, but Bethesda has really messed up this time. How could they release such a mess? Expand
  10. Nov 15, 2011
    I will never see the sun again nuff said

Also this game is amazing..... i don't want to unleash my wave of how awesome this game is..... i end there... OOOOMMMGGG no don't do it. hahaha im not going to do it. im gonna hold in my excitement. everytime i think about this game. it makes me happy
  11. Nov 14, 2011
    Simply the bes game yet from Bethesda, Eclipses Oblivion and out does Fallout 3, A true work of genius and the best game I have ever played.

Great story telling from what i consider to be the best company in gaming right now and this game certainly shows that. It is an absolute must for any serious gamers collection.
  12. Nov 16, 2011
    I purchased Skyrim on launch day, and once I started up the game, there were no load times, no advertisements, no logos besides Bethesda's but a clean interface going straight to the menu screen and new game. Starting and playing the game itself is like living in a fantasy world. The music, sounds, graphics and everything make you feel totally immersed. This game is improved from OblivionI purchased Skyrim on launch day, and once I started up the game, there were no load times, no advertisements, no logos besides Bethesda's but a clean interface going straight to the menu screen and new game. Starting and playing the game itself is like living in a fantasy world. The music, sounds, graphics and everything make you feel totally immersed. This game is improved from Oblivion in every way because there are no game breaking bugs, crashes, graphic, or performance issues, and the ones that they do have are very minor and can be patched. I have played about 35 hours so far and I can say that this game is a masterpiece. I have only been to one city so far and have been doing quests only in that city. I have not even gone through half of the quests yet as I have a long list of things to do, and each quest doesn't feel generic like other RPGs' fetch quests and kill quests. There are 8 more holds in the game, so I know I can expect much more than the 300 hours Bethesda advertised. Overall, I can't even begin to describe what this game offers and how much you can do in it while having so much fun. Expand
  13. Nov 11, 2011
    Simply put, the best game i have ever played. Bethesda outdid themselves once again. I just love to see a company really put this much time and effort into a game. With a project of this magnitude there will be bugs and glitches but as long as they aren't game breaking i actually find them quite amusing. I'll definitely be playing this game for quite some time.
  14. Nov 12, 2011
    This should revolutionize the standard and depth of games. If you want to watch pretty special effects but play a shallow game then get call of duty, but if you want a proper game that you'll get value out of this is the right choice
  15. Nov 12, 2011
    I'm 17 hours into Skyrim, and more than anything, there is only one problem I have with it. The more I play, the better it gets, and the better it gets, the more I play. If you have any respect for Video Games, or Fantasy in general, you need to play this game. It's unquestionably the best game I have ever played - so much depth, an impressive world, that feels very much alive, and some ofI'm 17 hours into Skyrim, and more than anything, there is only one problem I have with it. The more I play, the better it gets, and the better it gets, the more I play. If you have any respect for Video Games, or Fantasy in general, you need to play this game. It's unquestionably the best game I have ever played - so much depth, an impressive world, that feels very much alive, and some of the best combat in a first person RPG to date. Just Play it. It makes full use of the Xbox's limited hardware, and is a truly beautiful game. FUS DOH RAH! Expand
  16. Nov 13, 2011
    Elder scrolls noob but 6 hours in I'm hooked, well worth a go, even if this type of game isn't your norm! Glad I got rid of mw3 for this! The story and quests so far have been interesting and not the usual 'fetch this' dull ones from games past.
  17. Nov 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would rate this game a 9.7, but since I can't, and I felt that giving this game a 9 was way too low, I gave it a 10. This game is outstanding. Although Oblivion was great as well, it did have it's flaws, and I think that Bethesda Game Studios has really made an effort to eliminate these flaws, and they have also added some successful features from Fallout 3. The graphics are the best I've seen in a video game to date. Think about it, what could possibly be better than a game where you can fight dragons, raid caves and dungeons, breathe fire, turn enemies into ice, become invulnerable for a a short period of time so you can jump off cliffs and mountains, and call down a befriended dragon to kill your enemies? This game is definitely worth the £40 ($60) I paid for it. Expand
  18. Nov 13, 2011
    My favourite game, only one problem is that I'm having a bit of trouble with this glitch that causes the first option to be chosen when speaking to anyone, even if I have a different option highlighted.
    However, this game is extraoridinary graphically, the gameplay is smooth and in-depth, and it is very realistic as far as stealing something in plain sight as opposed to stealing something behind closed doors...
    Conversation is excellent, the voice acting is wonderful, and combat is fluid and addicting. I highly reccomend this game to anyone and everyone looking for adventure in Tamriel!
  19. Nov 13, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls series is a massive thing in many peoples lives, sad as it may be it is and it is in my life. On the 11th of November the culmination of 8 months (or so) of long hard wait ended as I dipped into the world of Tamriel for the second time (getting hooked on oblivion) in the province to the north called Skryim. And my god was I overwhelmed.

You start being led to your

You start being led to your execution, this alone shows the power of the graphical engine, and being 'saved' by a dragon. This was the best 'cutscene' I have ever played. From this I went out into a beautifully crafted world with a variety to choose from.

To save your eyes from reading and my fingers from typing I will not list the games huge collection of successes but concentrate on what led me to rate it 9/10.

First off I would have liked to dub it 97/100 but this is how the system works, so here we go. There are a few fundamental flaws in the game, one being texture loading bugs (soon to be patched) and also the overwhelming sense of basically being overwhelmed.

Now to finish off all I can say is this is the GOTY and you should buy it, 100% play it, it is the best in the series and I am sure TES 6 will be mind blowing, just as this is, but there are places (small) that the warm gooey liquid of Skyrim could have filled, though I still don't mind taking a swig of it.
  20. Nov 13, 2011
    Aside from an occasional glitch and game freeze (understandable for a game this size; future title updates should fix remaining issues) Skyrim soars in every area it attempts: combat, story & side quests, loot, and exploration of a breathtaking world. If I must find a complaint I would say more tutorials for understanding the various professions- alchemy, enchanting, etc.
  21. Nov 13, 2011
    I absolutely love every aspect of this beautiful, entrancing masterpiece of a game. Sure there are things that Oblivion or Morrowind may have done better, and there are bugs here and there, but they don't get in the way of the rich story, addictive exploration, combat, great side quests, amazing detailed high-definition graphics, and excitement in every hour I play this game. AnotherI absolutely love every aspect of this beautiful, entrancing masterpiece of a game. Sure there are things that Oblivion or Morrowind may have done better, and there are bugs here and there, but they don't get in the way of the rich story, addictive exploration, combat, great side quests, amazing detailed high-definition graphics, and excitement in every hour I play this game. Another great thing is that you don't need to have played the previous games to understand the story, since it takes place 200 years after any of the events of Oblivion. Go buy this game immediately, it contains one of the best experiences with a game that I've had in a long time. Expand
  22. Nov 13, 2011
    Skyrim is one of those games that people are going to either **** and complain about endlessly, or proclaim to be flawless and without error. It is neither of those.
    The bad:
    Visually; the lighting can make certain things hard to see at times, the text is too small(especially on a standard def TV, some of it being unreadable), there are quite a few low res textures and pop-ins.
    The bad:
    Gameplay; The controls can feel a bit clunky at times, and you may find yourself missing every other power attack. The implementation of dual wielding weapons, while cool, doesn't always work well. Arrows, just like in Oblivion, feel far too weak to be used for anything but stealth. Most enemies are too easy, with the occasional creature that pops out of nowhere and kills you in two hits. Spellmaking has been removed from the game, and there isn't much variety in the spells that are left.
    The good:
    Visuals; this game is absolutely beautiful. The draw distance they have achieved is incredible, and the attention to detail of the world is insane. You'll see a lot of people comparing the visuals to Fallout 3, but they are infinitely superior. All of the interiors, caves, mines, etc, are done by hand. All of the exteriors have more foliage and feel more alive. The water flows realistically, like it has a destination, and is close to perfect. Despite the fact that some of the textures don't look so great up close, walking through the world of this game is more immersive than Oblivion, and on par with Morrowind. Gameplay; Everything is overhauled. Everything is better. The combat feels like you're hitting a creature with your sword, instead of swinging it mindlessly through the air. Shield bashing adds some much needed strategy into the blocking system. Spells, though they have less variety, are much more useful, and playing a character that tows the line between two specialties is much easier. The leveling system is much better than Oblivion, and doesn't force you to plan out your character before you even start the game. Items are more expensive, alchemy is more difficult, and to become a powerful character you really have to explore. Everything about Skyrim is improved over Oblivion other than the spellmaking system.
    Bottom line: Skyrim is not a perfect game, but it is so much more than the sum of its parts. It does nothing perfectly, but does everything better than most other games released today. Bethesda took the best parts of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3, and made a game that may surpass all of them.
    I give this game a 9 because it needs to be patched. Once that has happened, it will truly be everything Elder Scrolls fans could have hoped for, and maybe a lot more.
  23. Nov 13, 2011
    Yet another amazing game from an amazing publisher. Worth every single penny spent on the game. Fantastic visual experience, character development, NPC personalization, quests. Everything is amazing.
  24. Nov 13, 2011
    Only 12 hours in, but so far I haven't seen any glitches. I love the new menu layouts and all the extra interactivity they added. This game is way to addicting, I'm scared but I think I'm in love.
  25. Nov 14, 2011
    Epic, incredible how much depth there is this game. To be fair its not without the usual Bethesda glitches and random freezes every now and then. It doesn't really effect the gameplay that much because the game is breathtaking and highly addictive. I WA playing it for something like 14 hours yesterday and didn't even really notice that the time had past.
  26. Nov 14, 2011
    Is one of those games you will remember in your life. the graphics are beautiful. the world is big. if you never played a rpg in your life this is the game. best $60.00 i ever spent.
  27. Nov 14, 2011
    This game is breathtaking. As a long time fan of the Elder Scrolls series, I was not disappointed by Skyrim. Everything in this game is SUPERB; graphics, sound, gameplay, and story. The most impressive part of the game is the amount of detail that the developers have managed to put into this game. I have played this game nonstop since the release, and i'm loving every minute of it. ThisThis game is breathtaking. As a long time fan of the Elder Scrolls series, I was not disappointed by Skyrim. Everything in this game is SUPERB; graphics, sound, gameplay, and story. The most impressive part of the game is the amount of detail that the developers have managed to put into this game. I have played this game nonstop since the release, and i'm loving every minute of it. This game is GOTY material. Expand
  28. Nov 14, 2011
    It doesnt get much better than this. This is a Bethesda style RPG at its finest. The story is very interesting. the characters are likable, and the sound is amazing. I've had the game for 3 days and already have 26 hours logged and im not even close to finishing the main quest. Worth $60. All the way
    This is the only game coming out this month that deserves a 10
  29. Nov 15, 2011
    I'm going to write the things that come to my mind... This game is simply amazing! The most ambitious game of bethesda and the most captivating one too. When I started playing I didn't knew what to expect but after many hours of gameplay I just wanted to keep playing and keep exploring the beautiful lands of Skyrim. The character creation is simplified for good and for bad too. You chooseI'm going to write the things that come to my mind... This game is simply amazing! The most ambitious game of bethesda and the most captivating one too. When I started playing I didn't knew what to expect but after many hours of gameplay I just wanted to keep playing and keep exploring the beautiful lands of Skyrim. The character creation is simplified for good and for bad too. You choose sex and race and that's all. Start playing. After some minutes you start building your "role" by using some skills (magic, one handed, heavy armor, etc.) The good thing about this is that if you want to change from a sneaky char to a aggressive mage you are going to spend some time building the new role, just keep using the skills and in some time you can be a sneaky aggressive mage. How beauty is that?. The shouts (dragon type powers) are amazing and very fun to use. The companion system is good but some times my companions sucks. The music and the sounds are superb, the dialogue is amazing. The world feels alive (I love to watch how the salmon swims against the waterfalls), the dungeons are very well crafted. The story is very deep and the main quests, the side quests, the miscellaneous quests and the subquests are well crafted and very inmersive. This is for sure a GOTY contender. Try this game, you deserve it. Expand
  30. Nov 15, 2011
    A absolute work of genius so far found nothing wrong with the game is you remotely like any RPG game you will love this. i would highly recommend this game
  31. Nov 15, 2011
    After some 30 hours in, I am still blown away by how great this game is. It truly is a masterpiece in gaming. One moment you could be scaling an huge mountain, the next plundering the tomb of a long dead king or even fighting to the death with an ancient dragon. The graphics are fantastic and yes there are a few bugs but they are so minor, unless you are intentionally hunting for errorsAfter some 30 hours in, I am still blown away by how great this game is. It truly is a masterpiece in gaming. One moment you could be scaling an huge mountain, the next plundering the tomb of a long dead king or even fighting to the death with an ancient dragon. The graphics are fantastic and yes there are a few bugs but they are so minor, unless you are intentionally hunting for errors because you are another game's fan-boy you very rarely notice them.

If you are still some how on the fence about buying this game I urge you to do it as soon as possible. Each moment you are spending not in Tamriel (the games setting) is a moment wasted.
  32. Nov 16, 2011
    The best game ever created. Simple as that. Whether you want to compare this game to other RPGs or any other genre, Bethesad has cemented themselves as the based developers in the business. Truly a monumentous achievment in gaming. Kudos to you guys and please continue to take my money, I will be happy to dish out as long as you keep creating games like this.
  33. Nov 16, 2011
    best game there is around. Beautiful graphics and great game play. this game could definteley be able to occupy anybody for over a year and not have them waste money on any other game
  34. Nov 22, 2011
    Pour kickinit525 : J'ai pas aimé la jouabilité de Skyrim alors 0/10 ^^ et oui ! Désolé mais bon ce type m'a tellement soulé ... enfin bref avec tous les pro-machin ou truc sa deviens horrible ce genre de site.
  35. Nov 24, 2011
    Skyrim is a brilliant game that takes the best parts of Morrowind and Oblivion and then correct the problems that both games had. Of course a game this size has a couple of problems but compared to other large RPG's they are few and far between. The most common glitch i have encountered is where you cannot open doors for some odd reason but all you need to do is just either sleep for a daySkyrim is a brilliant game that takes the best parts of Morrowind and Oblivion and then correct the problems that both games had. Of course a game this size has a couple of problems but compared to other large RPG's they are few and far between. The most common glitch i have encountered is where you cannot open doors for some odd reason but all you need to do is just either sleep for a day or exit somewhere else and the problem goes away. Expand
  36. Nov 26, 2011
    This game truly is the closest to perfect I have ever seen. It does have certain moments in which bugs, or difficulty spikes may harm the experience, but otherwise, perfect. I loved every minute of this game, and I plan to enjoy far, far more. The graphics, are good, not amazing, good, but matters little. My favorite game in existence as of now, definitely a buy.
  37. Nov 27, 2011
    First, the pros: The graphics are occasionally downright sublime. The water effects are especially spectacular. There are some fresh game elements, but enough has stayed the same so as to let Oblivion fans jump right in. With some notable exceptions, just about everything that I liked about Oblivion is back.
    Now the cons: Let's start with load times. In a word, extreme. It is not unusual for me to wait 2-3 minutes when simply opening a door, if that door requires the loading of a new section. That would be bearable if opening such doors weren't something the game requires so frequently. During some stretches, I think I spend an equal split of time between playing and waiting for things to load. Next, some of the additions were fun at first but quickly became annoying, like the random dragon attacks. You can't go much of anywhere in the game without yet another dragon attacking. Okay, enough already. I've got enough dragon souls to last awhile...could you just go away?! The dungeons impressed me with their massiveness, at first. Then they just started to seem too massive...massive just for the sake of being massive. On one not particularly unusual dungeon, it took more than 10 minutes (after I'd cleared out all the baddies) to run at full speed from the start of the level to the end. That would be great if the dungeons were at all interesting, but they're just room after monotonous room, to the point where you're thinking, all right enough already, just get me to the end so I can advance the story.
    Those are my biggest grievances. Oh wait...let me just say that if I ever come across the Bethesda employee that came up with the idea to eliminate Oblivion's Feather spells, I'm going to drag him into a dark alley in Riften and go to work with my ebony battle axe!
  38. Nov 28, 2011
    This is simply the greatest game I have ever played. If you are a fan, in any way, of RPG's you should play this. If you enjoyed Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, you will love this game. It is so good that there are already thousands of reviews saying as much so I will leave you to them. Just rest assured, it is a god among games.
  39. Nov 28, 2011
    This game is amazing whoever is giving it bad ratings should not be playing video games. The graphics are great the fighting and magic are great, and the story is on point.
  40. Dec 1, 2011
    One of the few western RPGs I have been truly taken with in recent years. An addictive game with just the right mixture of challenge and ease to appeal to the majority as a whole. There is so much to explore that you will be spoilt for choice. Great enemies, and a fantastic choice of weapons, attacks, and armour. It is easy to immerse yourself as a result of the music and the beautifulOne of the few western RPGs I have been truly taken with in recent years. An addictive game with just the right mixture of challenge and ease to appeal to the majority as a whole. There is so much to explore that you will be spoilt for choice. Great enemies, and a fantastic choice of weapons, attacks, and armour. It is easy to immerse yourself as a result of the music and the beautiful scenery. Expand
  41. Dec 2, 2011
    A can not recommend this game enough. To say it is the greatest game i have ever played would be a under statement. Riding on the success and popularity of Morrowind and Oblivion, Skyrim takes the open world and massive amount of content and adds a distinctive art style and game play that makes this the Game of The Year without question. If you enjoy freedom, adventure, lore and a sense ofA can not recommend this game enough. To say it is the greatest game i have ever played would be a under statement. Riding on the success and popularity of Morrowind and Oblivion, Skyrim takes the open world and massive amount of content and adds a distinctive art style and game play that makes this the Game of The Year without question. If you enjoy freedom, adventure, lore and a sense of fantasy you will love this game. Expand
  42. Feb 11, 2012
    Boring clunky combat. Dull depressing graphics and colours. Alot of the game is spent in menus. Gamebreaking bugs all over. Constant crashes. Boring/Repetitve quests. Dragons become very irritating as theres too many. NPCs have bad animations etc. The AI is absolutely terrible. No way to respec skills if mistakes are made or you change your play style. The only good thing aboiut this gameBoring clunky combat. Dull depressing graphics and colours. Alot of the game is spent in menus. Gamebreaking bugs all over. Constant crashes. Boring/Repetitve quests. Dragons become very irritating as theres too many. NPCs have bad animations etc. The AI is absolutely terrible. No way to respec skills if mistakes are made or you change your play style. The only good thing aboiut this game is the exploration but even that is ruined by the boring visuals. Avoid at least until its fixed. Much better RPGs around. Expand
  43. May 24, 2012
    Tedious comes to mind as do exhausting, laborious, unsatisfying, drawn out, bloated, broken unfinished, excruciating.. and more. This game at times is beautiful.. well for a computer game.. and i mean at times.. some other times it looks awful.. The world you become immersed in soon dissipates when you come across clunking animatronics and badgers flying in the sky. The extremely clunkyTedious comes to mind as do exhausting, laborious, unsatisfying, drawn out, bloated, broken unfinished, excruciating.. and more. This game at times is beautiful.. well for a computer game.. and i mean at times.. some other times it looks awful.. The world you become immersed in soon dissipates when you come across clunking animatronics and badgers flying in the sky. The extremely clunky combat system is an absolute game killer for me. Totally unsatisfying.. When will a developer realize this is a very important part of a game like this? I have so many legitimate complaints about this game from papier mache npcs to excruciatingly dull crafting systems! i could write a book and i have only played 20 to 30 hours. Ultimately this game after a 10 hour stint made me feel hollow and depressed... yet another title i will be returning.. i give it a 9 for world and graphics but whats the point if the gameplay is wholly unsatisfying? Expand
  44. Mar 8, 2012
    I bought the game when it came as did a lot of other people, and found it to be a disappointment. The world is a generic bleak, depressing fantasy setting which I'm growing increasingly tired of. Despite having an 'open world' it was really a chore to explore most of it and it became extremely repetitive and dull. I usually try to immerse myself in RPGs I play, but Skyrim really failed toI bought the game when it came as did a lot of other people, and found it to be a disappointment. The world is a generic bleak, depressing fantasy setting which I'm growing increasingly tired of. Despite having an 'open world' it was really a chore to explore most of it and it became extremely repetitive and dull. I usually try to immerse myself in RPGs I play, but Skyrim really failed to pull me in. The main quest was short and lacked any sort of tension. I even found the Dark Brotherhood quests lacking, these quests being a series highly praised in previous Elder Scrolls game. I found that all the races looked outright ugly or filthy in this installment, aside from the Imperial female. I can see what they were going for with the graphic design, but it really just made me want to leave Skyrim rather than do anything to save it. That aside, I did spend a full week playing a fun hack-n-slash action game as a 2-handed wielding twig. It was especially easy since every skill is a breeze to train (another letdown imo) and some of the scenery was downright beautiful. I enjoyed the music scores a lot, except for the main theme that they keep using everywhere. In the end I sold my copy to a friend of mine for a discounted price, and while I didn't seem to play the same immersive RPG everyone else seemed to play I still had fun playing it with a different perspective Expand
  45. Mar 28, 2012
    What an awesome game, you know! Laggy, buggy and ugly, it's combat mechanic is broken, upgrades are useless, and the world is empty. Story is just awful (dragons are back, what a tragedy!). At the beginning, people discuss uriels, kings and others, whom I even don't know. That is the why the score is 0. Do not buy it.
  46. Apr 5, 2012
    When I first saw this game, I was excited. I mean, YES!!!!! A sequel to oblivion, a game I enjoyed the hell out of, is having a sequel. It's going to be amazing. And it was. For maybe 2 hours. However, after that honeymoon, the game falls off. The quests feel bland. The guild quests try to create a storyline instead of it actually me being a thief. I mean, one of the thief quests actuallyWhen I first saw this game, I was excited. I mean, YES!!!!! A sequel to oblivion, a game I enjoyed the hell out of, is having a sequel. It's going to be amazing. And it was. For maybe 2 hours. However, after that honeymoon, the game falls off. The quests feel bland. The guild quests try to create a storyline instead of it actually me being a thief. I mean, one of the thief quests actually let me kill the one person guarding the house! We're not the dark brotherhood, but I could, and I did, because it was tedious as hell to get that one person away. The story of Skyrim... who cares. I mean, nobody cared. It's all about the open world. However, the combat was very simplistic and Oblivion had the same system. The combat was not refreshing, magic was more like 2 good spells and gimicky spells that you would only use cause they looked good. Dual wielding was nice, and I have no problems with it. But I could not start a new character. Sure, I could start out a mage, or a warrior, or a thief, but there's no classes. There's no bonuses, no anything. Becoming that master warrior is something you could do on your first character except that he probably has better gear, better gold, and better health. But I'm ok with that, if combat wasn't boring. Dragon fights are completely foolish, and a pain in the ass if you don't have the shout to bring them down. All it is is hacking and slashing when it falls down, and running around hoping it drops again. Also, the world is stale as hell. I killed the emperor, THE EMPEROR for christ's sake, and no one even bated an eye. Skyrim is part of the empire, loyal to the emperor, but there was no big mourning, no one crying in the streets, people saying it was the stromcloaks who killed him, NO! It was just the same old thing when I came back to town. I went for the stromcloaks, and guess what... nothing changed. No big changes. Nothing. This gives very little sense of reward or progression. It only matter in story quests, but those are alright, but make up 3 hours or so. With bland quests with very little reward besides gold or awesome daedra weapons, questing just isn't fun. Also, 90% of the quests are all just conventient. They just happen right when you get there. Maybe it'd be alright if it was a traditional rpg where you actually go town to town in a set order, but it isn't like this. It happens SOOOOOO much. How come I didn't feel this way in Oblivion, or Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Because they intergrated their quests nicely. Skyrim did it poorly. I'd rather just go to an inn, and literally just live my life like a lumberjack then go questing. But there are TONS of dungenons. Oh wait, all them are the same. Maybe not exactly the same, but once you go in one crypt, you've been in them all. Loads of zombies you hack and slash through, and reach the end, get a new shout, and you leave. While shouts are nice, they just seem gimmicky and a bit clunky, and some of them are useless. Well this game is good for the honeymoon phase, after that OMG THIS IS SKYRIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! part, this game just falls off and feels uneventful and a lifeless, stale world where your actions mean nothing. Even though your doing so much stuff. It's pretty. Combat is boring, quests are boring, everything is boring. Expand
  47. Jan 17, 2014
    A big, expansive open world RPG with lots to do and nice graphics, let down by the forgettable plot and dated combat system.

I did all main Qs plus all but a couple of sides and clocked about 60 hours which is a big plus. Some 'AAA' games only manage 5 or 6 hours of single player. Like all Elder Scrolls games, get used to caves. You'll be seeing a lot of them. Plot is tired 'you are

Like all Elder Scrolls games, get used to caves. You'll be seeing a lot of them. Plot is tired 'you are the chosen one ' as always with TES. Dull colours, forgettable NPCs. A result of having such a large game world? Obsidian did OK with New Vegas.

That aside (and I can forgive all that), my major gripe is the dated combat TES has had since way back. No active dodge, no target lock. Blocking seems pointless, dodging means you move slowly backwards or to the side and hope you don't get hit. Or just charge in with power attacks and potions; you'll be fine. Magic has been simplified to the point of having little use beyond healing spells.

And of course, dragons; less would mean more. Towards the end of the game I just ran away because I was so bored of them.

Another Elder scrolls game that sticks to the generic fantasy formula but has a lot of value for money. If Bethesda had taken a chance on some changes to that formula, this game could have really deserved all that hype.
  48. Aug 19, 2013
    I thought this game would be much more exciting than that it actually is, especially since all professional reviewers claimed it as a must-have. The gameplay is slow and dare-I-say tedious. The storyline is thin and absent from much of the game, in fact you can't really tell the difference between a main quest and a side-quest. So the main storyline is not that engaging, it does not standI thought this game would be much more exciting than that it actually is, especially since all professional reviewers claimed it as a must-have. The gameplay is slow and dare-I-say tedious. The storyline is thin and absent from much of the game, in fact you can't really tell the difference between a main quest and a side-quest. So the main storyline is not that engaging, it does not stand out from the other quests you do. Likewise the characters in the game are flat and robotic. It is true that this game is visually impressive and that you have a huge open-world to move around, but everything else was just too boring for me. I wish reviewers, professional ones in particular, could recognize that people like different things in their games and I wish their reviews would reflect this fact, instead of pushing their bias unto others, claiming their judgement as Absolute. Bottomline: if you like pretty graphics, interactions with your environment such as learning a trade and getting married, and a huge open-world to move around in you'll probably enjoy Skyrim a lot. If you want a deep storyline, characters with some degree of personality, and variation in your gameplay look elsewhere. Expand
  49. Aug 30, 2013
    So, I purchased this game after getting bored of Fallout: New Vegas (~50 hours played). I was expecting it to be really good because of the positive reviews, and tons of people I know telling me it was good. So, long story short, this is one of the worst RPG's I've played. I totally wasted $60 by purchasing this game. By the time I was ~8 hours in I was literally bored out of my mind. ISo, I purchased this game after getting bored of Fallout: New Vegas (~50 hours played). I was expecting it to be really good because of the positive reviews, and tons of people I know telling me it was good. So, long story short, this is one of the worst RPG's I've played. I totally wasted $60 by purchasing this game. By the time I was ~8 hours in I was literally bored out of my mind. I forced myself to play it though so I didn't feel like I wasted $60, and I was hoping it would get better; it didn't. after 12 more hours of forced play time I couldn't take it anymore. My favorite genre to play is an RPG, this didn't feel like an RPG at all. Pretty much ZERO equipment upgrades, no super cool weapons that do crazy no cool armor, exploring got tedious and questing bored me after the first few I completed. I literally have nothing good to say about this game and I'm not sure what other people see in this game to rate it so high. To each his own, but I definitely feel like I wasted my money on this. Expand
  50. Nov 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a serious disappointment. Its not the worst game ever made, far from it, but it has some serious flaws. The combat and customization is bad, the world is lifeless, and the story is boring, and before everyone gets the pitchforks and torches, please let me explain.

First, The combat is not deep at all. It is literally just spamming the same attack( whether melee or spells) over and over till the foe is dead. It really feels like it was made for fans of COD style combat. The new duel-wielding system is broken and completely useless. I did like having a sword in one hand and a staff in the other like Gandalf), and having a spell in each hand was a hoot. But, having a sword in each hand is worthless. It amounts to little more than attacking from a different direction. Basically, the combat is the exact same as Oblivion, with some useless additions.

Next, the world is a empty place, with little to see or do. A good portion of the country is snow, and is very similar to New Vegas's baron desserts. The parts that are more organic are okay, but you will lose interest soon. There are a few cities and towns that all look the same. The dungeons are the biggest letdown for me. While they look good, they really aren't that interesting to explore. I had a ball checking each of the caves in Oblivion, because each felt like they had a story and each had a new foe to face. Here, most of the "Dungeons" are crypts, where you will face the same type of enemies(mostly undead, spiders, and a new non-playable race called the "Falmer"). The one place that I really did enjoy was the "Sovngarde." It was the most unique place that I went, but it was near the end, and you don't get to stay long.

Now onto a really important feature for me, and that is Customization. The character models do look better, but there is very little in the way of making a character your own. I made several different people, and they all ended up looking basically the same. On top of this, the level system has been dumb-down to an insulting degree. They took out the point system and made a useless skill-tree( its sort of like Fallout 3's skill tree, but nowhere near as good. This is suppose to be an RPG, not brainless shooter. It really is an insult for game developers to be dumbing down games like this. Also, the amour has been reduced to being a single piece of clothing( with a few exceptions), so no more putting together your own outfit.

At least the graphics though. That is when you get out of the friggin snow and ice. I didn't notice any real pop-ins or screen-breaks. All the architecture and "dungeons" look fine. It also has some of the best water I have ever seen in a game. Not much else to say, its a beauty.

Finally, the main-story and side-quest are a giant step-down for oblivion. Oblivion had a great story of trying to stop an evil Dadra Lord from conquering the world. To stop him, you had to gain allies, salvage ancient items, and go to the Hell itself. Here, you do stuff that doesn't seem important and meet people that are forgettable. The Main Dragon is as dumb as the other brain-dead dragons and doesn't come close to the greatness of the "Prince of Destruction." As for the side-quest: most are not very interesting( like just about everything else about this game). They amount mostly to either "Go here and kill this guy" or "Go here, and get this item." This would be fine if the rest of the game was okay. The guilds don't fare much better, not even coming close to the brilliance of Oblivion's guilds.

Well, that is my view of the game. Its a dumb down version of Oblivion, with pretty graphics. The combat is shallow, the customization is terrible, and the story is just not interesting. I really cannot recommend this game to anyone, when there are better choices. Go play Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma, or even Oblivion for that matter, just leave this one alone.
  51. Dec 22, 2011
    Skyrim is an amazing, jaw-droppingly vast RPG, with spells, swords, axes, quests and monsters galore. It isn't perfect (but what is?) thanks to repeated phrases and voice actors. And like all Bethesda game, it's got a crap-ton of glitches. BUT, Skyrim is very, very big, and it's only matched by it's quality. A trip down a forest with a talking dog. A quest reminiscent of The Hangover. EpicSkyrim is an amazing, jaw-droppingly vast RPG, with spells, swords, axes, quests and monsters galore. It isn't perfect (but what is?) thanks to repeated phrases and voice actors. And like all Bethesda game, it's got a crap-ton of glitches. BUT, Skyrim is very, very big, and it's only matched by it's quality. A trip down a forest with a talking dog. A quest reminiscent of The Hangover. Epic Dark Brotherhood questlines. Skyrim packs a lifetime of content into one game-giving astonishing value for money. The Xbox 360 game of the year. Expand
  52. Nov 16, 2011
    This game is the best and it rocks. It's the least buggiest game to come out at this time. With BF3 being buggy and populated by non existent team work and no voice users, then the appalling user score of COD this is the game for you. The dragon fighting mechanics is awesome. Give it a go. It has such an awesome score for a reason.
  53. Nov 15, 2011
    Sometimes starry eyed optimism is necessary to become immersed in an RPG, but not with Skyrim. With this game you are rewarded with a rich story for the spontaneous decisions you make and winding paths you tread towards your destination. "Oblivion expansion pack" accusations are tiring, as much has been improved here beyond a graphical overhaul.

NPC interaction is much less of a chore.

NPC interaction is much less of a chore. While I got a sense of satisfaction playing the speechcraft mini game in Oblivion to obtain better prices or information, its necessity caused it to be a time sink - I don't miss it.

Interface is pleasingly minimal compared to Oblivion. Main quests are separated from a "Miscellaneous" category which allows my sanity to stay in tact as I accumulate a pile of them in the first town of Whiterun. Beyond that, every button (aside from the joysticks) can be remapped as you please. Such a simple freedom, but sometimes makes all the difference. The "Favorite" button follows the form of the interface being an easy way to quickly swap frequently used items.

One gripe I do have is that poisons still seem too awkward to use regularly. I'd really like to see a "poison queue" option so I could select concoctions to be automatically applied to whatever equipped weapon I was using at the time until the entire queue ran dry. And perhaps even a little indicator to show when a new one had been auto-applied. Another problem I have is the inability to go beyond the "follow" and "wait" commands for companions. I would really like Passive/Aggressive/Defensive stances so that I don't have to do as much micromanagement.

Now Skyrim is very much like Oblivion in many ways, but I think it's unfair to use this as leverage against it. I enjoyed Oblivion thoroughly even though I hardly made it halfway through the main quest line. For the same reason, I have thoroughly enjoyed Skyrim so far as the immersion has been deeper for me. Ultimately, an RPG does require some effort on the player's part to become part of the story - to be invested in their character. This isn't a shooting gallery type of game where you're a track expecting to be entertained by cinematic pomp and circumstance that would make Michael Bay blush. It's a role-playing game that does a fantastic job of urging you to be invested in your own story through its setting in a vibrant world and organic leveling system allowing you to choose your path as you progress rather than as a weighted decision at character creation. In short, suspend cynicism and enjoy this game with the patience you would give to a good book - it deserves it.
  54. Dec 15, 2011
    Goddamn, this game is so awesome. This is my last game on my list for this year that I wanted to play and I am having an absolute blast playing this game. I was skeptical at first because Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion was a complete bore to me and I never got in to it even though I tried to. Skyrim, to me, is a complete revelation. Lush open world presentation, absolutely epic music,Goddamn, this game is so awesome. This is my last game on my list for this year that I wanted to play and I am having an absolute blast playing this game. I was skeptical at first because Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion was a complete bore to me and I never got in to it even though I tried to. Skyrim, to me, is a complete revelation. Lush open world presentation, absolutely epic music, accessible but complex menu system , deep RPG gameplay and absolutely endless replay value. Though even with the awesome features that has been improved from Oblivion, Skyrim still has bugs and glitches that other Bethesda games suffer from but that isn't enough to ruin the experience that completely immerses you into this new world of epicness. From the first time I put the disc in to my 360, I was hooked straight away. This is one the best games I have ever played this year and I suggest buying it RIGHT NOW Expand
  55. Dec 28, 2011
    Having never played an Elder Scrolls game outside of a demo back when the 360 was released, I had only the reputation and high remarks for the game to set any kind of expectation. After around 50 hours invested into Skyrim, and having done only 7 of the main store quests at the moment, I can safely say Skyrim is the game of the year for me. Other titles were good this year, but for aHaving never played an Elder Scrolls game outside of a demo back when the 360 was released, I had only the reputation and high remarks for the game to set any kind of expectation. After around 50 hours invested into Skyrim, and having done only 7 of the main store quests at the moment, I can safely say Skyrim is the game of the year for me. Other titles were good this year, but for a single-player experience, Skyrim really knocks all the others out of the park when it comes to quality. Even with several noticeable bugs scattered throughout the game, it still supremely impresses over and over again. It may not be for everyone, but if you enjoy action/adventure games and are looking to get lost in a big world full of customization and plenty of bunny trails to divert from the main objective: Skyrim is more than worth a look. Expand
  56. Nov 28, 2012
    Currently on my 2nd play thru and have downloaded the add ons. With Dragonborn Expansion this is the best time to go thru the game again. By far the best RPG to date.
  57. Nov 24, 2011
    Bethesda deserves all the lavish praise that is and will continue to be laid on their new masterwork, skyrim. The improved graphics combined with one of the most meticulously and beautifully created worlds ever comitted to video game form help to further hammer home the feeling that you are choosing you're destiny, and skyrim is you're canvas. The sheer amount of content is indeedBethesda deserves all the lavish praise that is and will continue to be laid on their new masterwork, skyrim. The improved graphics combined with one of the most meticulously and beautifully created worlds ever comitted to video game form help to further hammer home the feeling that you are choosing you're destiny, and skyrim is you're canvas. The sheer amount of content is indeed staggering and even overwhelming at times. As you explore, random conversations will bring a healthy list of quest ensuring that you always feel as though you are shaping you're own experience. Whether you choose to progress the main story, hunt for bears, clear out caves full of witches, join a guild, or engage a frost dragon head on, Skyrim never let's up, and you will always feel as though you're actions are shaping a much bigger overall picture. Player choice is integral to the immersion, and Bethesda has nailed it here with aplomb. I need to go have thanksgiving but I needed to write this because people need to realize how lucky we are to have such talented developers like Bethesda to deliver one of the best experiences this generation. Expand
  58. Nov 24, 2011
    Oblivion was the best game I've played and now Skyrim has taken over that title. I'm an RPG fan and the game offers an unparalled level of depth and immersion. The province of Skyrim is a beautiful place, with tumbling waterfalls and snow capped mountins. At one point I felt a lump in my throat as I stood looking out at a particularly awe inspiring view. Quests can be picked up from 80Oblivion was the best game I've played and now Skyrim has taken over that title. I'm an RPG fan and the game offers an unparalled level of depth and immersion. The province of Skyrim is a beautiful place, with tumbling waterfalls and snow capped mountins. At one point I felt a lump in my throat as I stood looking out at a particularly awe inspiring view. Quests can be picked up from 80 percent of NPCs - even random nobodies. I don't want to rant on about why this game's so great as I'll be here all day - just go out and buy it. You'll be playing it a few years from now, especially as there's bound to be loads od DLC. Expand
  59. Nov 21, 2011
    No other company EVER goes into this much detail and depth for content, that frankly, most players will never even see. I work in software and games and at every company I've worked at we always try to put the most stuff in front of the user so they experience it. It's like a 5-year-old child doing something and pestering his parents for attention. Bethesda, however, is more than contentNo other company EVER goes into this much detail and depth for content, that frankly, most players will never even see. I work in software and games and at every company I've worked at we always try to put the most stuff in front of the user so they experience it. It's like a 5-year-old child doing something and pestering his parents for attention. Bethesda, however, is more than content to put countless hours of attention and blood, sweat, and tears into the little things, the minutiae, the details that no one else cares about. All that stuff that we say "it's not worth it, only 1% of players will see this" they go after, and I have the utmost respect for them because of it.

To be frank, this game is more of the same for anyone who has played Morrowind or Oblivion, just larger in scale. But what a game it is; the technology has finally caught up to Bethesda's vision. The mountain peaks are covered in mists, the land, the creatures, everything feels so real.

Are there a lot of bugs? yes. My friend randomly had a dragon carcass fall out of the sky on his quest NPC, I myself have had plenty of issues of teleporting enemies and arrows hitting invisible walls etc. But honestly, when you do as much as this game does, it's easy to forgive things like this. They have just done so much and so much well that it seems like nitpicking to harp on things that would be core gameplay bugs in any other game.

In my opinion, the RPG to beat this year was The Witcher 2, but Skyrim has edged it out. The Witcher 2 is an amazing game, especially for long-time Witcher fans like myself, but Skyrim has just humbled me. Sometimes when you see something great, you just have your mouth open, jaw slack, saying 'wow.' But when you play Skyrim, you are speechless. I was STUNNED by the level of detail and care woven into this game. Every single thing in this game, from each individual blade of grass, to the majestic dragons is a testament to the love that each Bethesda employee put into this game.

In a genre where everyone is trying to rehash MMOs and the psychological gaming mechanics that WoW made so popular, it's always refreshing to see a purist.
  60. Nov 28, 2011
    An amazing game in scale and fun. To each their own but I can't even comprehend people who badmouth this game. Skyrim is so rich with great design and moments, that is shines far brighter then any other game that has come out this year. Those with poor reviews obviously did not actually play the game. If they would have they would have come to see how deep and enjoyable this game is truly.An amazing game in scale and fun. To each their own but I can't even comprehend people who badmouth this game. Skyrim is so rich with great design and moments, that is shines far brighter then any other game that has come out this year. Those with poor reviews obviously did not actually play the game. If they would have they would have come to see how deep and enjoyable this game is truly. Of course this kind of game is not for everyone, but if you like RPG's there is no denying that Skyrim is quite possibly the greatest RPG game ever made....so far! Expand
  61. Nov 19, 2011
    Skyrim is a delicious game to play. It has everything an RPG wants: Freedom, Character build, story, a realitic world environment...

Unfortunately it also has one thing (like previous Bethesda games) that no game wants in it: BUGS. After 9 hours of gameplay the dialogs stopped to work for me and I had to go back to a previous gamesave 3 hours before (time flies while playing!). It's a wonderful game but by no means deserves a score over 9.
  62. Nov 14, 2011
    With Skyrim, Bethesda has created the greatest video game of all time. There is no other video game currently on the market that even comes close to comparing to Skyrim. The best quote out of all of the reviews for Skyrim is from The Onion AV Club - "Where many games with lavish production values seek to direct player's imaginations, Skyrim seeks to ignite them." This is the perfect way toWith Skyrim, Bethesda has created the greatest video game of all time. There is no other video game currently on the market that even comes close to comparing to Skyrim. The best quote out of all of the reviews for Skyrim is from The Onion AV Club - "Where many games with lavish production values seek to direct player's imaginations, Skyrim seeks to ignite them." This is the perfect way to sum up Skyrim. While games like Uncharted 3 and Gears of War 3 just offer shallow, scripted events that are forgotten days after, Skyrim gives you a massive playground that eclipses any other in the digital realm, and gives you the tools to make your own fun, regardless of what kind of games you like to play. Without a doubt in my mind, the greatest video game ever created. Expand
  63. Nov 27, 2011
    If you were new to the Bethesda RPG games, this game would be a ten because you'll be amazed out how this game is so huge. If you have already experienced and loved the Elder Scroll series, then this game is a nine because basically it is Oblivion tweaked. Graphics aren't really that much updated or revolutionary; nothing we haven't seen since 2008 from other AAA games. The characters areIf you were new to the Bethesda RPG games, this game would be a ten because you'll be amazed out how this game is so huge. If you have already experienced and loved the Elder Scroll series, then this game is a nine because basically it is Oblivion tweaked. Graphics aren't really that much updated or revolutionary; nothing we haven't seen since 2008 from other AAA games. The characters are not as hideous looking as before and the girls actually look attractive this time around. But I swear, Bethesda and Bioware must have a running bet on who can make the ugliest elves in their games. The storyline is just as long as Oblivion's, and the numerous sidequests are about on the same level and uniqness. The combat is as unimpressive as before with the exception you now get, more often than not, pretty cool finishing moves. That's kind of disappointing because today it is possible for some RPG franchises to blend in well the combat action into their RPG games without turning them into hack-n-slashes; Fable and the Witcher come to mind. I was really hoping for an epic battle against a dragon in this game, but it was not so. But those are just small issues considering how impressive Oblivion was five years ago that this game's overall experience is far from dissappointing. Expand
  64. Nov 16, 2011
    It's difficult to see how this could be improved upon. The characters, stories and environments are all matchless; combat is fun and involving, and even just running around is a pleasure. Having spent hundreds of hours in Morrowind and Cyrodiil it's already clear to me that I'll be spending even more time in Skyrim.
  65. Nov 14, 2011
    Skyrim is a huge improvement over Oblivion in nearly every way. First the setting. The land of Skyrim is huge, beautiful, and varied, unlike the ultimately 'pretty but boring' Cyrodiil of the previous Elder Scrolls game. Gone are the copy and pasted caves, forts, and ruins. Every single dungeon is hand crafted and it shows. Just like the exterior lands the dungeons are gorgeous to look atSkyrim is a huge improvement over Oblivion in nearly every way. First the setting. The land of Skyrim is huge, beautiful, and varied, unlike the ultimately 'pretty but boring' Cyrodiil of the previous Elder Scrolls game. Gone are the copy and pasted caves, forts, and ruins. Every single dungeon is hand crafted and it shows. Just like the exterior lands the dungeons are gorgeous to look at and compelling to explore. The level of detail given to character and item models is a HUGE step forward. The animation has been given a complete overhaul and at long last characters move naturally and believably in a Bethesda game. The combat has been improved as well. The ability to bind spells and weapons to each hand creates a much needed depth and customization to combat. The spell casting is much faster, more powerful, and more spectacular to look at. The sound design and music are similarly amazing. I'm trying hard to find things to dislike about this game, and the only thing I can come up with is the interface. The interface isn't horrible, but it take some getting used to. I've played the game for about ten hours now, and I haven't seen a glitch or had my game crash, which is also a plus considering this is a Bethesda game. All in all, I'll be playing Skyrim for a very long time, and I think this is easily the game of the year. Expand
  66. Dec 18, 2011
    Bethesda has created an incredibly immersive and realized fictional world in the fifth game in the Elder Scrolls. NPC's interact realistically, with improved animation and voice acting. Although the total number of skill categories has been reduced, the game does not suffer. In fact, cutting away the excess fat of past games put Skyrim ahead of its predecessors. Combat has been streamlinedBethesda has created an incredibly immersive and realized fictional world in the fifth game in the Elder Scrolls. NPC's interact realistically, with improved animation and voice acting. Although the total number of skill categories has been reduced, the game does not suffer. In fact, cutting away the excess fat of past games put Skyrim ahead of its predecessors. Combat has been streamlined and improved so that the player can switch between different weapons and magic easily. The menu and inventory systems have been given a similar treatment, with the primary focus being on making it easier for the player. The game is also very well balanced. Wielding swords, bows, magic or taking a more stealthy approach are equally emphasized and all seem like viable ways to play the game. Expand
  67. Jan 17, 2012
    For a game that prides itself on exploration, customization and variety, it falls short on every category. I remember Todd Howard touting how much more diversity it has over Oblivion. That is true for the first 2 hours of the game. You'll immediately notice how much better the graphics are. People aren't as hideous looking as the lemon-shaped faces in Oblivion, the water effects areFor a game that prides itself on exploration, customization and variety, it falls short on every category. I remember Todd Howard touting how much more diversity it has over Oblivion. That is true for the first 2 hours of the game. You'll immediately notice how much better the graphics are. People aren't as hideous looking as the lemon-shaped faces in Oblivion, the water effects are amazing and Bethesda did try to make every dungeon as different from each other as possible, but after a while, all that means nothing when they offer the same boring experience. What's the point of all this extra space when every 10 miles is the same town with the same people with the same problems? My biggest gripe is the loot. Again, if you are familiar with Bethesda games, you'd know you can open every container and pick pocket every NPC or loot their corpse, but there's no incentive to do those when a Jarl carries nothing better than the next beggar and you can't steal the same items shop keepers are selling. I'm not going to further explain the stale main quest and bugs. It's not a bad game overall. If you've enjoyed the past Elder Scrolls/Fallout games, you'd know what to expect, if not, tread with caution. Expand
  68. Nov 14, 2011
    Currently *the* best western-style RPG available.
    Perfect? No, but very close to it.
    There is such an unbelievable amount of stuff to do, the first playthrough of the average player will easily take 250-300 hours. Great story, great lore, great graphics, great music, great everything! Then why no 10, you ask? Simple, even this game has a few strange design decisions, and also has its
    Currently *the* best western-style RPG available.
    Perfect? No, but very close to it.

Great story, great lore, great graphics, great music, great everything!

Then why no 10, you ask? Simple, even this game has a few strange design decisions, and also has its fair share of bugs (...I literally just lost my freakin' face for example O_o ). And there's also a 360-specific bug; if you install the game, certain textures will eventually stay low-ress. This has something to do with streaming and cache and whatnot.
    But none of these problems has been game breaking, and Bethesda will fix them as soon as possible.
    It's also a shame that console players are unable to participate in the awesome modding community, but this is not Bethesda's fault.

Why are you still reading this? Go buy Skyrim!
  69. Dec 19, 2011
    It is true, Skyrim has issues, bugs, glitches and, if you're really unlucky, dragons that fly backwards. I have not yet seen the latter, but just about everything else - not all in the first playthrough, though.

Yes, this is one of those titles where you can zip through the main story in around fifty hours, but the average time is about twice as much, and it is said there is enough content to keep you busy for 300 to 400 hours. While I still miss a proper, decent revival of old-school RPG adventuring titles like Eye of the Beholder, Wizardry or even Dungeon Master, Skyrim is the best I've seen in quite some time. While that in itself is an easy accomplishment, simply for the lack of there being no competition whatsoever, it has to be said that a game that makes one forgive and forget the many, many flaws really must do some of the more important things right.

Mind you, this game really is not without flaw, and I sincerely hope Bethesda will get rid of the underlying problems big and small, but I found my visit to Skyrim to be interesting, refreshing and very, very inspiring. It's one of those few games where starting over with a completely different character makes sense, to see how things would have turned out if you had chosen a different path, sided with 'that other side'. It is true that there are not quite enough of those game-changing options that have an impact on the whole game world. But, seeing as how exponentially complicated these things easily and quickly get, I was happy with what we got. If you manage to resist the temptation of exploiting any levelling shortcut or other cheating, Skyrim offers an astonishing amount of story and background, with an unequalled freedom to do as you please. Classes are not a one-time choice, you get better at whatever you choose to do by doing it. So your rogue could conjure up a tank or a decoy, or your mage could very well resort to maces or axes if things get rough and you find yourself in a closed quarters combat situation. Even your destruction mage could eventually be sneaky enough to silently pick off single foes with a deadly arrow before shooting fire and ice and lightning bolts, which makes for quite some diversified action. I admit: I really did not want to like this, but I ended up loving it.
  70. Nov 12, 2011
    So i worte a short text because of hate Steam. But now about game. I really like this Skyrim!!!! It is a wonderfull game, i promise dont use graphics mods for it. :) It is really perfect to world... Everything fine. The people(emo's, fan of manga guess dont see so hehe) Sure it is a console port and everything really simple but work so perfectly. The fatalities are good and system ofSo i worte a short text because of hate Steam. But now about game. I really like this Skyrim!!!! It is a wonderfull game, i promise dont use graphics mods for it. :) It is really perfect to world... Everything fine. The people(emo's, fan of manga guess dont see so hehe) Sure it is a console port and everything really simple but work so perfectly. The fatalities are good and system of fight good too. Only speed and lucks miss to perfect rpg feeling. And guess some things miss for example when i use imperial armor the rebels should attack me as it happen in Fallout new vegas. But i put 10 to this game because it is a really universum and i really like it :) Expand
  71. Nov 14, 2011
    This is the best game I've played in a very long time. It has absorbed my weekend and caused me to get far too little sleep. Bethesda have surpassed themselves. They've merged together the best elements of Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3. They've improved the graphics, the game play, character creation, levelling up, crafting, oh and the music is a delight. This is a fantastic game thatThis is the best game I've played in a very long time. It has absorbed my weekend and caused me to get far too little sleep. Bethesda have surpassed themselves. They've merged together the best elements of Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3. They've improved the graphics, the game play, character creation, levelling up, crafting, oh and the music is a delight. This is a fantastic game that illustrates how RPGs should be made. Although there are a few minor bugs it would be ungenerous to give this game any less than 10 out of 10. Game of the Year. Expand
  72. Nov 15, 2011
    Skyrim manages to be beautiful, sublime and engrossing all at the same time and i personally would like to congratulate the developers for bringing us this fantastic game.

Game of the year
  73. Nov 15, 2011
    This game is incredible and deserves nothing less than a 10. People who rate lower have obviously never played a Bethesda game and don't realize the enormous scale of Skyrim. It is beautiful and well done. No doubt there are bugs but they are few and don't effect the experience what so ever. Buy this game so Bethesda will continue to make great RPG's.
  74. Nov 15, 2011
    One of the greatest games of all time. Takes a crap on both Oblivion & Morrowind. It is what Oblivion wished it was. With all the improvements and added content that Oblivion left out. Skyrim is a complete game.
  75. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is amazing! Yes there are bugs, but that is to be expected with such an incredibly large game. I'm still in awe at how huge the world is, how many quests there are, and how much there is to do. There is so much life in this game and the detail is jaw-dropping; I didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion because their worlds felt dead to me and I was never inspired to explore or quest...This game is amazing! Yes there are bugs, but that is to be expected with such an incredibly large game. I'm still in awe at how huge the world is, how many quests there are, and how much there is to do. There is so much life in this game and the detail is jaw-dropping; I didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion because their worlds felt dead to me and I was never inspired to explore or quest... Skyrim is different. The dungeons are unique and creative, the boss fights are fun, and the quests are exciting! People interact with you constantly, making the world feel alive. On top of all of that you have the massive, beautiful environments plus all of the stuff you normally get with Elder Scrolls games (professions, great music, etc.) What am I doing even writing this review? I should be playing Skyrim! Expand
  76. Nov 14, 2011
    Liked oblivion? This improves. Ten-fold. Leveling is now a fluid masterpiece, being able to form your character from your play style is new and unrestricted. No more guessing at the beginning of the game of what you will like, it is all what you use through out.
  77. Nov 15, 2011
    Some people really have missed the point of this game. Yes, it's buggy, but I'd love to see anyone create a game this large, this in-depth and have the time to sort out every bug in the game in time for a release date. Then there's the people complaining about the interface: It took some getting used to, but I've managed to navigate the UI fine now. Then there was that one guy who said itSome people really have missed the point of this game. Yes, it's buggy, but I'd love to see anyone create a game this large, this in-depth and have the time to sort out every bug in the game in time for a release date. Then there's the people complaining about the interface: It took some getting used to, but I've managed to navigate the UI fine now. Then there was that one guy who said it took itself to seriously: right, I did a quest yesterday involving me getting drunk and ensuing carnage on Skyrim. It was basically like The Hangover: I sold a farmer's goat to a giant, swore at some monks and angered a witch by saying I'd marry her and then called it off.
    Oh, and the people who say "it's too much like Fallout." YES! FALLOUT WAS BASED ON OBLIVION, THE PREVIOUS GAME IN THE ELDER SCROLLS SERIES! seriously, get your facts right before you mouth off about how supposedly overhyped and bad this game is when it's clearly not. This is probably Bethesda's crown jewel. The game is awesome in almost every way: the gameplay, the story, the RPG elements, the sheer scale of the map in which you get to explore as you see fit right down to mundane things like buying a house and organizing books. Again, I'll repeat, I challenge ANYONE to fix bugs in a game this massive. And for those convincing themselves that the critics have been bribed by Bethesda, go choke on your on phallus. The game is outstanding in every sense of the word, get a grip or get lost.
  78. Nov 13, 2011
    I love Skyrim. There is so much to do and so much to explore and the quests are genuinely intriguing and exciting. The amount of quality content is absolutely staggering and sure to keep me around for a long, long time. One of the biggest things I noticed in Skyrim is that there is just enough familiarity within Skyrim to let you know that it's Oblivion's successor, but at the same time itI love Skyrim. There is so much to do and so much to explore and the quests are genuinely intriguing and exciting. The amount of quality content is absolutely staggering and sure to keep me around for a long, long time. One of the biggest things I noticed in Skyrim is that there is just enough familiarity within Skyrim to let you know that it's Oblivion's successor, but at the same time it adds and improves on so many things that it makes sure it's its own game. I can't wait to explore the College of Winterhold, the Dark Brotherhood, and the Daedric quests. If Bethesda can follow this game up with DLC on the same level as Shivering Isles and Fallout 3, This game is sure to keep me hooked for hundreds of hours. Expand
  79. Nov 14, 2011
    It's still the best open world RPG I love this game. The fun of discovering new areas and killing new foes in fun ways.The only problem I am having is me I am all add with my perks I am all over the place, on my next play through I will try to be more structured.
  80. Nov 14, 2011
    Astounding. Lifted to a work of art. A contender for the best video game ever made, this is stratospheric. I've never been so invested or enthalled. If in any doubt, just buy it
  81. Nov 14, 2011
    Skyrim is a good game, but it could have been much better. On the plus side the amazing A/V quality, the usual to-be-expected vast open world with loads of places to explore, greatly improved combat that finally feels good and dynamic, leveling and world scaling that doesn't punish you for not knowing how to do it right, but still offer a lot of fun and challenge. However there are thingsSkyrim is a good game, but it could have been much better. On the plus side the amazing A/V quality, the usual to-be-expected vast open world with loads of places to explore, greatly improved combat that finally feels good and dynamic, leveling and world scaling that doesn't punish you for not knowing how to do it right, but still offer a lot of fun and challenge. However there are things in this game, that could have been much better. Underlaying RPG-world is one of those things: there is simply nothing fun about it, there is no "magic" in it, that we grew to love about say Forgotten Realms. Same can be said about story and quality of npc interactions, dialogues, the overall script. No better is the RPG-system used in TES, which offers bland items, overly problematic crafting options that are best ignored and cumbersome console-oriented interface, that quickly shift your gameplay into few-tricks pony whack-em-all because doing anything more complex is just impossible. Have to say however, that current system is still an improvement over Oblivion. Expand
  82. Nov 14, 2011
    One word : Masterpiece. Love the story/setting/combat and the sound effects are incredible. Only issue is the PS3 version has some terrible shadows which should have been turned off but otherwise this is one of those games that comes along and shatters everything else. Worth the money definitely. My only hope is Bethesda re-releases this for next-generation consoles...would love to playOne word : Masterpiece. Love the story/setting/combat and the sound effects are incredible. Only issue is the PS3 version has some terrible shadows which should have been turned off but otherwise this is one of those games that comes along and shatters everything else. Worth the money definitely. My only hope is Bethesda re-releases this for next-generation consoles...would love to play with better graphics without investing in a new PC. Morrowind was excellent, Oblivion was rushed and un-interesting, but Skyrim reigns supreme. Expand
  83. Nov 14, 2011
    Im sorry, but this game is one of the closest games ive ever even thought of considering as a 10/10 game..but as we all know, there is no such thing. Anyway, back to the game, if you're a guy who doesnt get what the hype is all about then i can give you some advice, GET THIS GAME, as soon as you can. It is worth every penny and more and i can guarantee you it is going to be the game of theIm sorry, but this game is one of the closest games ive ever even thought of considering as a 10/10 game..but as we all know, there is no such thing. Anyway, back to the game, if you're a guy who doesnt get what the hype is all about then i can give you some advice, GET THIS GAME, as soon as you can. It is worth every penny and more and i can guarantee you it is going to be the game of the year

Why am i so confident in this game, well, like its predecessor, the game developers worked hard day and night for many years. These guys dont just release titles for sake of t unlike otehr game companies, these guys make games with the aim of getting the highest possible success, you can look at all their games and see for yourself. With that said, It comes as no surprise as to why the world had to stand still in awe when the game hit and why everyone is such a fan.

You're probably thinking "what a biased review" and to that I say "GET THE GAME and you'll see what I'm talking about" If you've never played this game or are even considering getting it, this will be one of those amazing games that you'll never forget and be grateful you bought, you have my word for it.
  84. Nov 13, 2011
    So I bought this for the 360, and all I can say IS THANK YOU. I love this game. 20 hours into and I've been doing nothing but exploring and so far I haven't ran into or seen anything that has not amazed me. For all those people that (I'll be fair) rate this game below a 7, you all are morons. I read alot of complaints from pc users got a few things to say to you guys. 1) Update yourSo I bought this for the 360, and all I can say IS THANK YOU. I love this game. 20 hours into and I've been doing nothing but exploring and so far I haven't ran into or seen anything that has not amazed me. For all those people that (I'll be fair) rate this game below a 7, you all are morons. I read alot of complaints from pc users got a few things to say to you guys. 1) Update your computer so Skyrim can be played the way it should be and 2) maybe it's time to get a PS3 or 360. So while you guys complain that the graphics dont look good on your screen, I'm going to sit and enjoy the graphics on mine GIVE THIS GAME A 10 Expand
  85. Dec 19, 2011
    Wow. No wonder the Elder Scrolls only comes out with a new game every few years. This is completley brilliant and well, virtually stunning. It has it's awkward moments, but that's nothing too strange. It's one of those games you will NEVER forget. The lack of multiplayer might break an easy addiction, but this is something that you must at least test. Skyrim is already becoming a big hitWow. No wonder the Elder Scrolls only comes out with a new game every few years. This is completley brilliant and well, virtually stunning. It has it's awkward moments, but that's nothing too strange. It's one of those games you will NEVER forget. The lack of multiplayer might break an easy addiction, but this is something that you must at least test. Skyrim is already becoming a big hit and will break sales records like the also recommended Modern Warfare 3, and perhaps Battlefield will catch up someday. Expand
  86. Dec 19, 2011
    The game isn't flawless, but what game is? It's got its bugs, some small, some big, but even they can't take away from the experience I took away after playing this masterpiece. It's the first time I've ever seen a game live up to such hype. I love the combat, the plot, the lore, everything. Bethesda has raised the bar here and created the game that all RPGs will be judged by. It'll beThe game isn't flawless, but what game is? It's got its bugs, some small, some big, but even they can't take away from the experience I took away after playing this masterpiece. It's the first time I've ever seen a game live up to such hype. I love the combat, the plot, the lore, everything. Bethesda has raised the bar here and created the game that all RPGs will be judged by. It'll be tough to beat. Buy Skyrim. Expand
  87. Nov 15, 2011
    Best RPG ever. Beautiful visuals, interesting quests, great music. If you like RPG's this is a must have. Now - what to do with the family for the next three months?
  88. Nov 14, 2011
    Juego muy completo pero aburrido, extremadamente lento al avanzar y lleno de bugs. La forma de atacar es muy repetitiva y realmente cansina. Las misiones secundarias y el diseño del "mundo", un acierto, eso si.
  89. Jan 19, 2012
    I traded in my PS3 copy for the xbox copy. I The game is extremely easy. You can easily kill everything in the game. The AI is horrible. The bugs are very annoying, but not quite broken like the PS3 version. I am sorry that I went through all of the trouble and expense to play this game.
  90. Feb 6, 2012
    If this equation - Fallout 3>Morrowind>Oblivion - looks right to you then this may well be the review you're after. Having now played through Skyrim for over 100 hours I'd say that it fits into that equation like this - Fallout 3>Morrowind>Skryrim>Oblivion. For me Oblivion was a sidestep from Morrowind as opposed to a step forward and Skyrim is no different. On the plus side Skyrim's meleeIf this equation - Fallout 3>Morrowind>Oblivion - looks right to you then this may well be the review you're after. Having now played through Skyrim for over 100 hours I'd say that it fits into that equation like this - Fallout 3>Morrowind>Skryrim>Oblivion. For me Oblivion was a sidestep from Morrowind as opposed to a step forward and Skyrim is no different. On the plus side Skyrim's melee combat is deffinately getting there - the extra weight and overall feel is far more satisfying than it has been previously. The asthetics are superb with immensely atmospheric music, some lovely graphics, and dungeons that are no longer cookie-cutter bland. However, once you actually get into the game it's not all that long before it really starts to drag and those asthetics can no longer cover up what is just a souless and often boring game. Morrowind's main appeal was in it's exploration and sense that you were out in this big wide world where you could stumble across anything at anytime. However, thanks to the reliance on fast travel and the return of the compass which magically shows you things which you have yet to find the feeling of exploration is killed dead, and the game feels more like a test of your organisational skills than anything - not fun. The encumberance system just means you spend hours trudging back and forth collecting and selling loot and it just gets tiresome. Bethesda either have to dump the encumberance and persist with Skyrim's setup, or dump the fast travel and make the game more about exploration. The story is very thinley spread out too, and often handled badly with dragons swooping out of nowhere in the middle of an important conversation or other NPCs spouting some random BS at you during them instead. In fact the whole RPG element is nothing short of dire, with your choices and actions affecting very little - with a lot of quests often prevent you with 2 choices - "yes" or "yes". Throw in an essentially broken magic system, and a leveling system which kills the joy of finding any rare weapons, and suddenly you become aware of what a mishmash of gaming genres this is and how badley the series as evolved. Whilst not as mind-numbingly dull as Oblivionis, it's still something I couldn't recommend to folk. It's kinda like the Lost In Translation or Blaire Witch Project of games - a lot of hype and a empty husk of an experience. All Bethesda have to do is give Morrowind Skryim's combat feel and asthetics and you'll have a far greater game than the one served up here, which is a damn shame as I was so hoping they'd learnt there lesson from Oblivion. However, they most certainly have not. Less size, more substance next time Bethesda please. Expand
  91. Dec 18, 2011
    Fantastic game! If you are a fan of Rpg's you will love this game! I would write a longer review but you should go rent/buy it and I will let the game do the talking.
  92. Jan 15, 2013
    Originally, at release, I gave this game a 10 (for the 360). Over a year later I fired it up again... but it felt empty. I wasn't attached to any single part of it and wasn't compelled by any single mechanic. Once you've explored the world, you're left wondering "what else?" So I put it down. Weeks later I had the opportunity to load it up on my PC. At that point, I got into all ofOriginally, at release, I gave this game a 10 (for the 360). Over a year later I fired it up again... but it felt empty. I wasn't attached to any single part of it and wasn't compelled by any single mechanic. Once you've explored the world, you're left wondering "what else?" So I put it down. Weeks later I had the opportunity to load it up on my PC. At that point, I got into all of the wonderful mods available. It was then that I realized that this game is merely "pretty good" until you mod the everliving **** out of it. With hours worth of mod collecting and testing you can assemble a highly replayable experience... but by that time you're more concerned with mods than the game itself. This is a good game. But with the benefit of some time and perspective I'd say it's more of an 8.5 than a 10. And since Metacritic doesn't allow for half-scores, I have to round down to 8, since it is more of an 8 than a 9. Expand
  93. Nov 30, 2011
    Being 80 in game, all I can say is: This game, is so epic, that it kicks your ass so hard that diarrhea comes out of your dick! World is absolutely huge, very many things and places to explore and discover. Beatiful sights when you are at the top of the mountain. Obtaining dragon's soul feels epic - you can feel your blood circulating a bit faster. A lot of skills to level up, it will takeBeing 80 in game, all I can say is: This game, is so epic, that it kicks your ass so hard that diarrhea comes out of your dick! World is absolutely huge, very many things and places to explore and discover. Beatiful sights when you are at the top of the mountain. Obtaining dragon's soul feels epic - you can feel your blood circulating a bit faster. A lot of skills to level up, it will take months of gameplay to actually get your skills to 100. Not a super huge armor and weapon choice, but they look very good and feel very powerful. There are guilds, companies, parties to join, call them how you want. I personally joined the Thieves Guild, because I can make a lot of coin for me and guild, and level up skills that usually aren't going up as fast as direct combat skills. Skills like sneak, lockpicking, pickpocketing. Huge amount of side-quests. Big choose of races, every race has it's own pros (no cons). For example, Redguards can't be harmed with poison; they are immune of it. Nords are 50% resistant to cold. Khajii't pickpocket and sneak better. I absolutely love this game, this the Game of The Year, the Decade, the Century and the Millennium! You are a fool if you don't try this game. Expand
  94. Nov 29, 2011
    My girlfriend HATES Skyrim. Why? Because I want to play it every free moment I have. I have to force myself to shut off the XBOX or the consequences could have a detrimental impact on my sex life. What makes this game Crack for nerds can be summarized in one word. Immersion. You will be utterly helpless as the incredible world of Skyrim becomes more engaging with every hour you play.My girlfriend HATES Skyrim. Why? Because I want to play it every free moment I have. I have to force myself to shut off the XBOX or the consequences could have a detrimental impact on my sex life. What makes this game Crack for nerds can be summarized in one word. Immersion. You will be utterly helpless as the incredible world of Skyrim becomes more engaging with every hour you play. Skyrim will likely win Game of the Year for 2011 even though there were some amazing games released this year. Expand
  95. Dec 7, 2011
    'The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim' is a game that only happens once every 10-15 years. Like 'Ocarina of Time' before it, Skyrim sets a new standard in video games and blurs the line of "Virtual-reality". From the onset, you have the ability to change anything and everything about your character (except height and weight). The game starts off like previous games in the Elder Scrolls series,'The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim' is a game that only happens once every 10-15 years. Like 'Ocarina of Time' before it, Skyrim sets a new standard in video games and blurs the line of "Virtual-reality". From the onset, you have the ability to change anything and everything about your character (except height and weight). The game starts off like previous games in the Elder Scrolls series, with you taking the place of a nameless prisoner. From there, you choose: the race, sex, origin, and name of your character. Then, the story starts; and it never stops. The game is massive, and every side quest, miscellaneous quest, and main-story quest all have their unique dialog, story, and characters. The game also doesn't take any shortcuts on content. Almost every chest is filled with goodies to loot, every person has their own personality, every city has a unique layout, and their are no two vistas that share common form. Everything in this game is detailed, from the buildings and roads, to the people and mountains; everything has been giving some area of uniqueness. The game will also keep you busy for a while; with the main storyline lasting about 10-15 hours and side quests/misc quests lasting well over 100 hours. It is possible to beat Skyrim in 10 hours, but chances are you won't want to. I am 50+ hours into the game, and maybe 10% through the main storyline. The game is massive, expansive, and highly detailed; which leads to some of the few flaws in the game. The game, very rarely will chug when multiple enemies (5+) are all fighting on screen. The game will also render in front of you and texture pop also happens. But, keep in mind; I have only experienced these issues 3 times in 50 hours.

'The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim' is the ultimate game. A game for RPG fans, hack-n-slash fans, and action-adventure games; Skyrim is a game for everyone. And, like The Ocarina of Time before it, Skyrim is the best game this gen; and in my opinion, all-time.
  96. Nov 11, 2011
    I'm a big fan of TES games, been playing them since Daggerfall
    I just wanna say that Skyrim is the best TES game, the best RPG ever, and IMO the best game ever.
    I've never been so hyped up for a video game, and Skyrim surpasses my expectations. GOTY 2011
  97. Nov 12, 2011
    Without out a doubt one of the greatest if not THE greatest RPG of all time. Bethesda soft-works has created the most alive, fleshed out, deep and interesting world i have ever played in, quests and dialogue from NPC are fluent and realistic and even the most minuscule of quests have a sense of satisfaction and reality to them.

The diversity in content is amazing, literally hundreds of

The diversity in content is amazing, literally hundreds of engaging and challenging quests ranging from taking or defending cities for the Imperials or Stormcloaks, taking contract killings, stealing Skyrim's most precious artefacts and tonnes of other personal or faction related quests, there is a lot to do.

Combat, although similar to Oblivion's, is great. Character movements and attacks feel weighted and realistic and the combinations between martial and magic is amazing. Going in thinking i was going to play a pure 'barbarian' character simply didn't happen because of the fun of spell casting.

This truly is one of the greatest games of the generation. It is hard to place scrutiny or criticism on anything in this amazingly hand-crafted open world experience. Game of the year.
  98. Nov 14, 2011
    A massive amount of content, a beautiful world, and an endless ride of combat, customization, and just a great game. There are a few minor flaws here, but they can be easily overlooked. Get this game, and get it immediately.
  99. Nov 11, 2011
    I had to write a review after playing the game and seeing the haters giving scores of zero. It's amazing, it's really a lot of fun, a beautiful huge game. As for the glitches, hardly noticed them and you know what? A game with 100+ hours of amazing content might have a few glitches here and there. I've played a lot smaller games with a lot more glitches that actually interfere withI had to write a review after playing the game and seeing the haters giving scores of zero. It's amazing, it's really a lot of fun, a beautiful huge game. As for the glitches, hardly noticed them and you know what? A game with 100+ hours of amazing content might have a few glitches here and there. I've played a lot smaller games with a lot more glitches that actually interfere with your game play experience, these glitches do not interfere. I'd give it a 9.5 for the glitches but the slider doesn't do that so I'm rounding up to a 10! Expand
  100. Nov 16, 2011
    Don't get fooled by all the review, this game does not deserve a 10 cause it's not perfect. It has a few bugs and glitches and some other minors problems. But overall, you should really check this game out cause it's a lot of fun and you actually get for what you paid ( from 100 to 300 hours of gameplay and more )
  101. Nov 15, 2011

1. Feb 6, 2012
    This epic role-playing game might be Bethesda's best game yet, and offers an unique and spectacular world filled with fun. The freedom ensures a great experience for both the casual and hardcore gamer, as you're free to play the game how you like.
  2. Dec 16, 2011
    Skyrim is the largest, and most compelling work that I've had the opportunity to play this year. It's engaging, engrossing, and will take over your gaming life for many months to come. Not only is Skyrim among the best that 2011 has to offer, but for me, this is, without hesitation, the Game of the Year.
  3. Dec 16, 2011