8.4

1. Nov 28, 2011
    The amount of content is astonishing and diverse. It seems like Bethesda has tried to balance quantity and quality, and has done so wonderfully in most cases. In some cases however, quantity seems to outbalance the depth. This seems to characterize the entire game, from the storylines, to both graphics and gameplay. However, the quantity creates its own sense of depth.

Most areas are

Most areas are beautiful, while some are unimaginative, grey, and bland. The graphics engine, though a bit dated, is put to great use in most cases. Sometimes however, low-res textures stand out as contrasts to an otherwise high-res environment. The bland areas also complement the beautiful places. Wander through a grey and cold cavern and find a beautiful underground oasis with flowers, ponds, and sunlight shining through holes in the roof. Escape the snowy planes and discover a beautiful plane with rivers and massive giants traversing the landscape.

Each gameplay component, swording and boarding, sneaking, and magic can be fun and exhilirating in their own right. However, rely on only one of these over a longer period of time, they might start to feel lacking, repetetive, and boring. Here, deep gameplay is not achieved through elaborate systems for each component, but through mixing them in unique ways and finding ways for one component to complement the other. Depth seem to be achieved through diversity. The way the game is constructed, with all its content, is affecting how it should be played. You want to sword and board your way through the game? Fine, but you will get bored. Make use of everything the game has to offer, and the gameplay feels a lot more rewarding. Mix all playstyles (warrior, thief, mage) and the fun never stops. When I first started playing, I used nothing but a shield and an axe. Around level 34, I got tired and bored. I then decided to start a new character, a warrior/thief hybrid making use of illusion magics to complement my playstyle. I have never had as much fun in a game since. Sniping one enemy with a bow, luring another one to me by making myself visible, casting invisibility, sneak-kill him, casting calm on a miniboss while talking another one out with a sword, then blast the miniboss with destruction magics. The options are endless. All in all, how fun this game is depends on how you play. Focus on only one aspect of the game and you will get bored. Make use of all the content this game has to offer, and you will find depth in the diversity. Some of the storylines are amazing, and could be the entire theme of other games. Other storylines are dull, and something you would only complete for the potential rewards. Some of the dull storylines complement the amazing ones, and help create a richer, more complete experience. This is a game I should dislike. I would take quality over quantity any day. I have always preferred balanced and polished content over anything else. This game is in no way balanced and polished. Glitches, bugs, non-elaborate gameplay systems. You come up with some bad, and this game has it. Still, quality seem to be achieved through the diversity. Name something good, and this game has plenty of that, too. This might not be a perfect game. It might have strayed away from some things that made it predecessors good. But it is still a damn good game. I It is a world. It is art.
  2. Nov 30, 2011
    I am only a few hours in to the game and I have only done one main quest, the time I have spent in Skyrim I have been to Hendry land, giggity giggity DON'T!!! Basically what I'm trying to say is the game brilliant. I have never had so much fun playing an RPG before.
  3. Nov 30, 2011
    I really love this game. Just thinking about how huge it is hurts my head at times. Side mission on top of side mission leads to a feeling that you are doing important things in the world. Combat is a blast. Play this game.
  4. Dec 3, 2011
    Este es un juego destinado ha hacer historia... Utilizando el sistema de calificacion de 3DJuegos mi nota seria esta:

Jugabilidad: 10 = Uno de los mundos mas extensos creados en los videojuegos. No se si supera a Oblivion, pero practicamente es un pais hecho desde cero. Puedes hacer todo lo que quieras, desde robar hasta ayudar a los mas pobres... Desde elegir un arco a una espada...

Jugabilidad:

Puedes hacer todo lo que quieras, desde robar hasta ayudar a los mas pobres... Desde elegir un arco a una espada... Desde nadar hasta caminar... Desde ser vampiro a hombre lobo... Es una jugabilidad epica.

Tecnologia y graficos: 10 = Toda va muy fluido, sin ralentizaciones. Tiene un motor grafico del 15 y eso da merito teniendo un mapeado tan grande como el que tiene. Ese puro arte. Puede que tenga bugs pero eso no quita que sea una maravilla, ya que son de poca importancia y no afecta demasiado a la experiencia de juego.
    Los graficos son insuperables y las texturas muy bien hechas. Algo que hechaba en falta en muchos juegos es el trabajo que le se pone a la zona facial, y con este juego no tengo queja ninguna.

Sonido:

10 = Banda sonora epica, y calidad sonora espectacular. Nada mas que decir.

Innovacion:

10 = El mejor TES a la fecha. Este juego innova muchisimo respecto a sus antecesores... Pasara a la historia.

Nota final:

10 = Juego epico, con jugabilidad epica, graficos epicos, BSO epica y innovacion epica. Nada mas que decir.
  5. Dec 5, 2011
    should add some people have made posts saying there are no stats for anyone who is intrested there are plenty of stats available, kills ,quests,places visted theres about 3 pages worth. some reviews are plain troll reviews and do not tell the truth.
  6. Dec 6, 2011
    There are bugs and things that could have been made better. There are a few things I would've done different myself, but, then, it's personal. Even then, Skyrim can comfortably be described as a masterpiece. Among the many qualities that could be pointed out, the feature that makes Skyrim unique is its unmatched immersion. I've always loved the fantasy setting. I've played a lot ofThere are bugs and things that could have been made better. There are a few things I would've done different myself, but, then, it's personal. Even then, Skyrim can comfortably be described as a masterpiece. Among the many qualities that could be pointed out, the feature that makes Skyrim unique is its unmatched immersion. I've always loved the fantasy setting. I've played a lot of tabletop role-playing games - rolled many dices. I used to draw a lot when I was younger: dragons, armored knights, angels, demons and monsters. The desire to experience a fantasy world is latent in people like me. "It is snowing. The wind is cold and silent. I'm running along the foot of a mountain range towards my next destination when I spot a lone deer, feeding under a tree. It hasn't spotted me. I crouch and draw my bow, slowly getting closer, trying not to scare it. A well placed shot will hopefully be enough. I halt and pull the string, aiming carefully, trying to guess the right height offset for the distance. Suddenly, a roughly cross-shaped shadow runs across the ground, bigger than that of birds. I look up: a dragon! Drums start beating in the background as the beautiful winged lizard roars, going from a gracious hover into a furious swoop. I run to behind the tree for cover, sheathing my bow and drawing my sword and shield. The dragon's cold breath is blocked by the tree as it swoops over. I turn to it and shout in its own language: Joor Zah Frul! Forced to behold its previously unknown mortality, the beast drops to the ground. I charge in to make it meet its fate." This was an artistic description of a sequence of events which actually happened while I was playing. Like I always do when there's someone nearby, be it my wife or my 7 years old cousin, I shouted: "Come see! A dragon!" The feeling is priceless. This is Skyrim. With all the bugs and imperfections, couldn't give it any less than 10. Expand
  7. XLX
    Dec 6, 2011
    With such a legacy as The Elder Scrolls it is hard to even start a review on a game as expansive as Skyrim. With so much going on in the land of Skyrim there are countless hours to be lost exploring caves, tombs, towns, and ruins. When you are not getting attacked by dragons from above ore wolves at your feet it is nice to take a look at the beautiful landscape that has been created forWith such a legacy as The Elder Scrolls it is hard to even start a review on a game as expansive as Skyrim. With so much going on in the land of Skyrim there are countless hours to be lost exploring caves, tombs, towns, and ruins. When you are not getting attacked by dragons from above ore wolves at your feet it is nice to take a look at the beautiful landscape that has been created for the player to enjoy. The game itself has many flaws and bugs that should never have made it through quality assurance testers. However I have only seen one or two game breaking bugs and even then it usually means you cant finish a certain quest line. I am impressed with this game even though I think they ruined a bit of the fun by adding in the perk tree forcing me to choose what I really want to be proficient in where in the other games in the series if I used it I received the perks. Many good things have been taken out but also many bad things have been corrected.

Bethesda has made a great game but falls back into the problem of not truly listening to what the gamer wants to see especially the little things that should be truly easy to program and change.

If you like the other Elder Scrolls games this game is worth every penny and even though small things will still upset you it is great in the grand scheme. If you have never played an Elder Scrolls game before you may want to borrow/rent it for two hours, If you aren't having fun in the first two hours you probably wont like the rest of it.

Games

Pros: Lots of things to do and places to explore
    Cons: Didn't fix some problems from Oblivion/ Lots of bugs still with little acknowledgement
    (1) Recommend: Yes
    (3) Enjoyment: 3 I have played well over 120 hours and still want to play more
    (3) Art: 3 Beautiful landscape and scenes
    (3) Sound: 2 Great music but lacks variety
    Grade: 90%
  8. Sep 24, 2012
    This game receives all the greatness it gets! It is truly a fun addicting game, with stunning visuals, and tons of content! 10 out of ten!
  9. Dec 21, 2011
    Skyrim is a revolutionary game. It's High definition clouds, Battle sequences and Interactive environment is astounding. For an example, if you see a mountain, that's not for show. You can climb that every environmental structure. As for the combat, Bethesda has taken the essence of Oblivion, but added power attacks, finishing moves and actual cut-scenes to make it feel more like realSkyrim is a revolutionary game. It's High definition clouds, Battle sequences and Interactive environment is astounding. For an example, if you see a mountain, that's not for show. You can climb that every environmental structure. As for the combat, Bethesda has taken the essence of Oblivion, but added power attacks, finishing moves and actual cut-scenes to make it feel more like real life. There are minor glitches here and there, but they are usually for laughs and cannot harm your gameplay. The Dragons are incredibly marvelous, the texture, movement, AI, everything. Skyrim is an enjoyable, creative RPG, full of exploration, epic battle, and amazing spells at your disposal. I would recommend this game to anyone and everyone, as it is bewildering, no matter what age or gender you are. Expand
  10. Dec 22, 2011
    Every few years a game comes along that elevates the genre and sets a new bar. This game has some bugs and glitches, but the overall product is so enjoyable you easily look past them. It's a game changer, and will be a defining game the likes of Mario 3, Zelda, and Halo.
  11. Dec 23, 2011
    A magical game, such a great experience one of the best games I've ever encountered I really hope bethesda keep up the amazing work and release some mind blowing DLC.
  12. Jan 6, 2012
    Skyrim... Where to begin. Well lets begin with game play, the meatiest part of this game.
    The game play is very similar to other Bethesda games such as Oblivion, and the newest two Fallout titles. The game is an open world, fantasy, role-playing game set in the northern most province called Skyrim in the Elder Scrolls world known as Tamriel (and yes I am not only a huge fan of the series, but a major nerd as well). You play as a legendary character known as the "Dovahkiin" or "Dragonborn" which will be explained later in my review, and get to play as 1 of 10 races, each with its own perks, and weaknesses. There is also a clever levelling system where by you level up after increasing any number of skills X number of times, which allows you to be any type of class you wish, and allows you to change class without having to start a new game, a generous plus in the games favour. From the first person perspective you can use either hand to either cast magic, use a weapon or shield, use both for two handed weapons, or use a bow. This also adds for a multitude of choices, and allows more people to play the game how they want. One added feature, which I prefer to the other recent Bethesda games, is the removal of an item wear system, now instead of weapons and armour degrading from use, they can be improved rather then fixed. Combat is fun, but dragon combat is where the game strives, as the beasts feel like they have power, and advantage over you, and fighting them feels just about as epic, as the idea of fighting dragons is. This is one of the first times dragons have been done right, and given justice in games. I could continue on for days on end, describing the quests, numberless items, and millions of ways to play the game, and still not come close to finishing just the game play of Skyrim, so instead I'll say that you can do pretty much anything you want (except that you sick perverts!) and from what I've already described, there's a lot to do.
    On to the presentation of the game, the graphics are outstanding. It is clear that Bethesda had spent some time on the look of the game as everything has detail, items can be inspected (key to some quests), character models are attractive, and the world itself is full of endless beauty. The sounds of the game are fantastic, and all well done, and dragons roar with intimidation, and it wont be uncommon to feel a chill do down your spine, and you begin frantically searching the skies for the winged beast. It should be noted though that it is clear that they had a limited staff of voice actors as the same voice will be heard multiple times from different characters, and when in conversation with characters, although not directly in their face like in other Bethesda titles, they still stand there with little emotion. Now I wish I could give this game a perfect score, but being honest and fair, I cannot as all games do have some flaws. For Skyrim, as with open world games in general, there are some glitches, and bugs that while not necessarily game breaking, are frustrating. Numerous times you will end up trapped in a rock or wall, and if you're not saving frequently, can be frustrating to have to go back because the only way to get unstuck is to load a save. My only other major gripe with the game is the whole concept of being the Dragonborn character. What the Dovahkiin is, is a character that is able to kill dragons, then adsorb their souls into them, and harness the dragons ability to spew fire, ice, shock waves, esc... by shouting. Let me explain, in Skyrim, dragons don't simply spew fire down at their enemies, they have some magical power to scream, or shout, and the energy of fire, of frost, of what ever that particular dragon is capable of doing radiates out from that shout. That's right, the first dragon you kill in the game isn't really fighting you, it's yelling at you. And after you kill it, you now have the ability to kill your enemies by yelling at them, and if you get into a fight with another dragon, you can make it nothing more then a yelling match. While it fits appropriately with a Norse based society, it's ridiculous to think about, and wasn't very necessary to the game.
    All in all, Skyrim is a great game, and with the amount of fun you can have, as well as an exponential amount of content for a $60 price tag, Skyrim is a must buy. FUS RO DAH! MOTHA#$%&ERS! (play the game if you don't get it)
  13. Dec 29, 2011
    Great Game but definitely over rated The main and Companion's questlines were terrible. boring and short.The Dark Brotherhood was different which i liked. College of Winterhold was fun and the end was oh so satisfying BUT The Thieves Guild stole the show it was a beautifully crafted questline this game has its bugs it has annoying characters (Cicero,Lydia,Orcs) but in all it's a wonderfulGreat Game but definitely over rated The main and Companion's questlines were terrible. boring and short.The Dark Brotherhood was different which i liked. College of Winterhold was fun and the end was oh so satisfying BUT The Thieves Guild stole the show it was a beautifully crafted questline this game has its bugs it has annoying characters (Cicero,Lydia,Orcs) but in all it's a wonderful experience.
    Skyrim =
  14. Dec 29, 2011
    Skyrim is a massive game. Itâ
  15. Jan 4, 2012
    Skyrim is definitively a game I will be playing for a while. It is the best game I have played with its superior graphics, beautiful sound, and above all its outstanding gameplay. The storyline is immense considering all that you can do, from fighting in the civil war, doing side quests, companion quests, to the actual story campaign. There is always something to explore or do in Skyrim.Skyrim is definitively a game I will be playing for a while. It is the best game I have played with its superior graphics, beautiful sound, and above all its outstanding gameplay. The storyline is immense considering all that you can do, from fighting in the civil war, doing side quests, companion quests, to the actual story campaign. There is always something to explore or do in Skyrim. Perfect game for any person, and is impossible to not like. Expand
  16. Jan 9, 2012
    This game is so vast and immense it is impossible to do everything. The graphics are amazing and the story is great. You actually feel like you're apart of the game. The lore behind this game is so deep that you it feels like a real world. The magic system is fun and interesting. Combat is way better this time around and isn't hack and slash like before. This is an awesome game that I willThis game is so vast and immense it is impossible to do everything. The graphics are amazing and the story is great. You actually feel like you're apart of the game. The lore behind this game is so deep that you it feels like a real world. The magic system is fun and interesting. Combat is way better this time around and isn't hack and slash like before. This is an awesome game that I will be playing for many years to come. Easily the best game this year. Probably the last great game of this generation. Expand
  17. Jan 6, 2012
    I simply cannot fault this game in any way. You pay the price of a standard game and get about 10 games worth of things to do. I've never particularly paid attention to the studios behind games, but since playing the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series, I'm a HUGE Bethesda fan. Their games are incredible, with hours and hours of content. Either way, Skyrim has endless amounts of fun; the plotI simply cannot fault this game in any way. You pay the price of a standard game and get about 10 games worth of things to do. I've never particularly paid attention to the studios behind games, but since playing the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series, I'm a HUGE Bethesda fan. Their games are incredible, with hours and hours of content. Either way, Skyrim has endless amounts of fun; the plot is excellent, the people that inhabit it are intriguing and the fact you can level up however you like to become whoever you want is brilliant. You need this game in your life - simple as. Expand
  18. Jan 15, 2012
    I have been a elder scrolls fan since daggerfall,But Morrowind was by far my favourite elder scrolls game,Then oblivion came out,I was dissapointed,DOnt get me wrong there! i loved oblivion,but i didnt get that elder scrolls feeling i used to get while playing daggerfall and morrowind,And it didnt have that fantasy element i loved.It was more medievel.I didnt like that,and more things iI have been a elder scrolls fan since daggerfall,But Morrowind was by far my favourite elder scrolls game,Then oblivion came out,I was dissapointed,DOnt get me wrong there! i loved oblivion,but i didnt get that elder scrolls feeling i used to get while playing daggerfall and morrowind,And it didnt have that fantasy element i loved.It was more medievel.I didnt like that,and more things i didnt like,bu i still loved that game.After playing years of oblivion,I got bored,And dreamed of a sequel..I did more and more research at the elder scrolls lore,and listened to the npcs in oblivion talking.I thougt the next elder scrolls game was going to take place on either summerset isles or skyrim.Every E3 i hoped bethesda would be there and announce the next elder scrolls game,They didnt.After every E3 i discussed about rmors on TES V on forums and chatted about it.I was thinking that a new elder scrolls game would never happen,But one day..I logged in on a gaming site,i didnt believe my eyes what it said " Elder scrolls v skyrim announced!
    I thaugt i was dreaming! i began to get excited,watched the trailer/teaser and got even more excited.And the land it took place on was skyrim! wich i hoped it would take place at! It was like a dream come true,i couldnt sleep that night,i could not sleep at all..Everything i was thinking about was skyrim,I couldnt wai,Now,after waiting for a long time.The game was finally in my hands,i loved it! and still love it! i have played more then 300 hours and i am not bored at all,and if i get bored i just create a new character, or roleplay the way i want,And also i love this game,a true masterpiece,the design,art of the game is just fantastic,and like every elder scrolls game this game has a rich story and a amazing lore wich you could gaze into for hours,I also think this game lived up to its hype,at least for me,I get that old classic morrowind feeling all over again,This Game is by far now my favourite elder scroll game along with morrowind,I love bethesda really much for creating this wonderful world,
    10/10.
  19. Jan 28, 2012
    This is the First bethesda game i have ever played and it was a GREAT first impression i love how you can do anything you want theres no restrictions its just an awesome game im gonna have to give it a 9 though due to the fact that it gets boring after a while
  20. May 27, 2012
    This game is really overated. Yes on a technical level, the game is extroadinary, but the combat is so bad and the look so bland, the fun factor level for me was a 6.
  21. Jun 5, 2013
    The game is beautiful. The art design, the world-it is all beautiful. And huge. And immersive. The world feels lived in. You ran across a small village in the middle of nowhere and you talk to a woodcutter and he tells you about his life and his terrible wife. You talk to his wife and she'll go on about her good for nothing husband. I found myself wanting to know more about the lives ofThe game is beautiful. The art design, the world-it is all beautiful. And huge. And immersive. The world feels lived in. You ran across a small village in the middle of nowhere and you talk to a woodcutter and he tells you about his life and his terrible wife. You talk to his wife and she'll go on about her good for nothing husband. I found myself wanting to know more about the lives of these insignificant people in the game. These are people who have no role in any storyline through the games many many storylines. But they are there and they have a story to tell. It does so much to make the game feel like a real place.

Now, for the one reason this game doesn't get a 10/10 in my opinion. No memorable characters. Yes, there are plenty characters and they feel like real people in this world but there are no characters that you really care about. That is the one way this game could have been the best gaming experience I've ever had. But unfortunately no. That being said though I played this game for over 60 hours. It is worth getting and obsessing over.
  22. Jan 25, 2014
    Recently I bought the legendary edition of this game and it was nothing short of a true masterpiece, I like the feeling of a breathing living world that feels like it was there before you arrived and will still be there long after, i have never experienced so many quests and side missions before - One cannot simply finish Skyrim, it will last over 100 hours and still be entertaining, withRecently I bought the legendary edition of this game and it was nothing short of a true masterpiece, I like the feeling of a breathing living world that feels like it was there before you arrived and will still be there long after, i have never experienced so many quests and side missions before - One cannot simply finish Skyrim, it will last over 100 hours and still be entertaining, with all the daedric quests, armors, guilds, or even the nords hilarious accent, and then there's: Dawnguard, Dragonborn and Hearthfire, the dawnguard quest is HUGE! and can be played from 2 completely different perspectives - and who doesn't want to be a vampire and I'm not talking about the 'Twilight Disco Ball Vampires' I mean you actually get weaker in the sunlight, Dragonborn gives you a whole island to explore - just don't go there unprepared, Athen there's Hearthfire,it may be only a minor DLC but would you: a. give 5000 gold to a stewerd to a Town house, Or , B. buy a plot of land, build a HOUSE add anything you want to it and then adopt 2 kids like Blaise and Lucia, and then have a wife like Ysolda (hint,hint), this game is truly something to remember and i will happy to See an Elder Scrolls VI (6) wherever or whenever it may be. And no one can forget the main theme song. Expand
  23. Oct 28, 2013
    I found trying to love skyrim very difficult. Not only is this game overrated but it is nowhere near the game i thought it would be. I find walking for a long time to get to certain quests boring. The combat is average. Graphics are very good as a whole. This is not a bad game. I just didnt find it my cup of tea. Exploring the caves was a chore. Puzzles, more bad guys. However, theI found trying to love skyrim very difficult. Not only is this game overrated but it is nowhere near the game i thought it would be. I find walking for a long time to get to certain quests boring. The combat is average. Graphics are very good as a whole. This is not a bad game. I just didnt find it my cup of tea. Exploring the caves was a chore. Puzzles, more bad guys. However, the missions on land were better. There are some good things. Its not a BAD game. Its just not interesting or fun to play. Most things feel stiff Expand
  24. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most outstanding games I've ever seen graphics awesome fighting technics amazing also giant spiders skeletons awesome flaming hands swords my type of game Expand
  25. Apr 10, 2014
    This actually is a mustplay! BEst RPG ever. It has some bugs but they are most of all funny and laughy. JUst play it! youll have lots of fun. Thats go
  26. Mar 6, 2014
    The game has it's positive sides and have really nice graphics and all, absolutely, but we can't go around and judge a game for only it's graphics. Today it feels like most game developers focus on graphics and doesn't think to much about the content itself. This game made me very disappointed because, sure, as I said the graphics are nice but the game has extremely many bugs and glitchesThe game has it's positive sides and have really nice graphics and all, absolutely, but we can't go around and judge a game for only it's graphics. Today it feels like most game developers focus on graphics and doesn't think to much about the content itself. This game made me very disappointed because, sure, as I said the graphics are nice but the game has extremely many bugs and glitches in it and the builds of the classes doesn't have a good balance. The game simply doesn't feel "done". I've played extremely many RPG games and when i heard my friends speaking so well about Skyrim then I felt that I had to play it. But this game wouldn't even hit my top 10 list of RPGs. If it wouldn't have been for the visual graphics and the detailed environment then i bet this game wouldn't have been so popular. There is so many other RPGs out there which is so much better in every way and i can seriously not understand how people can still choose to play this crap. It's sad to see how many "graphic whores" there is out there. Expand
  27. Jan 27, 2012
    Overall the game was alright and I have to give the devs credit where credit is due. Amazing graphics, very expansive world, decent (or maybe not so decent) story. It did definately give me a fair few hours of enjoyment.

Now onto the bad. The main complaint I have (and one that can apply to many dev companies these days) is that it is very clear that little to no thought was put into game mechanics and gameplay. I imagine the design team was populated entirely by very creative, artistic-minded individuals who love designing beautiful graphics and thinking up "creative" new ideas (i.e. dual-casting) but put absolutely no thought into how the elements of the game will actually play out. Will the player be able to use them? As an example, the spell-casting system is, in my mind, ruined. Sure the idea that you have to equip spells in each hand sounds cool but it in fact plays out as a regression from one of the few major improvements between morrowind and oblivion. That is, with the removal of equipping spells in oblivion a player could now better utilize magic in mixed classes. Alternating between spells that boost their combat style and swinging their sword, shooting their bow or even using their staff. Not to mention the need to go through a laborious unequip/equip action while an enemy is trying their best to swat you. This, of course, is only one example out of a myriad of poorly planned gameplay mechanics that make Skyrim, at best, a decent game.

It seems too many dev companies these days are moving in the direction of making great interactive movies (read Skyrim and the original Assassin's Creed) instead of making fun games. They appear to use their projects as excuses for artistic self-indulgence ("Wow look how beautiful those graphics are. Good job all!") rather than creating something that will be enjoyable to their audience. These companies would do well to mix their design teams up a little. Sure, employ the talented artists but don't exclude the analytical individual. The one who will assess things like game balance and gameplay mechanics.
  28. May 4, 2012
    The most overrated game I have ever seen, not as fun as it promises to be, cool in the beginning but it ends boring, and brings almost nothing new to the series.
  29. Dec 8, 2011
    It's great that an RPG to take itself as seriously as Skyrim has been so successful as it will ensure that we continue to receive more epic RPG in the future. Skyrim's Nordic setting is good, the vast scope and the depth of the quests and skills are also compelling. The character skills, progression and the amount of things to do in the game are fun and rewarding which does make SkyrimIt's great that an RPG to take itself as seriously as Skyrim has been so successful as it will ensure that we continue to receive more epic RPG in the future. Skyrim's Nordic setting is good, the vast scope and the depth of the quests and skills are also compelling. The character skills, progression and the amount of things to do in the game are fun and rewarding which does make Skyrim value for money and worth peoples time. Unfortunately I found the main story fairly lame and I felt disinterested in most of Skyrim's characters and skipped over most of the dialog which should not be the case in an RPG. I found myself only completing quests for rewards rather than any story purpose which is a missed opportunity. I also did not like most of the character models in Skyrim, the humanoid faces were awkward to look at. As I played Skyrim on PC I was disappointed that the UI was very console friendly at the expense of much keyboard/mouse support, which is something that is inexcusable for a game originating on the PC. Overall Skyrim is an epic game and one that has a lot of depth, its a pity that the characters and overall story of the game are not better but it is what it is. Recommended. Expand
  30. Mar 8, 2012
    I bought the game when it came as did a lot of other people, and found it to be a disappointment. The world is a generic bleak, depressing fantasy setting which I'm growing increasingly tired of. Despite having an 'open world' it was really a chore to explore most of it and it became extremely repetitive and dull. I usually try to immerse myself in RPGs I play, but Skyrim really failed toI bought the game when it came as did a lot of other people, and found it to be a disappointment. The world is a generic bleak, depressing fantasy setting which I'm growing increasingly tired of. Despite having an 'open world' it was really a chore to explore most of it and it became extremely repetitive and dull. I usually try to immerse myself in RPGs I play, but Skyrim really failed to pull me in. The main quest was short and lacked any sort of tension. I even found the Dark Brotherhood quests lacking, these quests being a series highly praised in previous Elder Scrolls game. I found that all the races looked outright ugly or filthy in this installment, aside from the Imperial female. I can see what they were going for with the graphic design, but it really just made me want to leave Skyrim rather than do anything to save it. That aside, I did spend a full week playing a fun hack-n-slash action game as a 2-handed wielding twig. It was especially easy since every skill is a breeze to train (another letdown imo) and some of the scenery was downright beautiful. I enjoyed the music scores a lot, except for the main theme that they keep using everywhere. In the end I sold my copy to a friend of mine for a discounted price, and while I didn't seem to play the same immersive RPG everyone else seemed to play I still had fun playing it with a different perspective Expand
  31. Nov 11, 2011
    First of all
    I'm not a RPG lover, but I still find big joy in this game
    I just start and have been playing it non-stop for 6 hours!
    My record was 1 hours for Fallout NV!
    Masterpiece? YES
    GOTY? YES
    Here am I, sitting and waiting for another masterpiece called Fallout 4
  32. Dec 6, 2011
    Just what some others have said. Huge world, but poorly designed, bleak-looking lacking variation. Sure, all people do is rant and rave about the 100+ hours of content, but whats so great about quests that regenerate? You get the same boring quests throughout the game.
  33. Dec 6, 2011
    This game is loads of fun and there is a ton to do. That being said, after a few days of non-stop addiction this game grows very stale. Searching dead bodies, unlocking chest and selling goods starts to get real old. The combat interface is simply put "Awful." When you go to use your power move, there is no adjusting your aim. So you just will randomly swing hardcore at the air. WhoThis game is loads of fun and there is a ton to do. That being said, after a few days of non-stop addiction this game grows very stale. Searching dead bodies, unlocking chest and selling goods starts to get real old. The combat interface is simply put "Awful." When you go to use your power move, there is no adjusting your aim. So you just will randomly swing hardcore at the air. Who would do that? Also, the glitches are funny when you first start playing, but they start to get very annoying after a couple day. If you need some comparison, it is Oblivion with dragons. Nothing else. 6/10. Expand
  34. May 26, 2013
    For the first 10 hours, Skyrim is a pretty decent game. There's plenty to do, weapons to find, civilians to save, rabbits to kill, but after that, the game just ends. After I got through the stupidly short main quest, which barely scraped by as 4 hours, I figured I start with some of the guilds. The guild quests lines consisted of 3 fetch quests, 1 big fetch quest, and then I was head ofFor the first 10 hours, Skyrim is a pretty decent game. There's plenty to do, weapons to find, civilians to save, rabbits to kill, but after that, the game just ends. After I got through the stupidly short main quest, which barely scraped by as 4 hours, I figured I start with some of the guilds. The guild quests lines consisted of 3 fetch quests, 1 big fetch quest, and then I was head of the guild, all in under an hour. This is the same for all the guilds, including Mage's, Theive's, Dark Brotherhood's, and Companion's. The side-quests are equally disapointing. They all consist of the same formula: recieve quest, go to cave/fort, kill Draugr, return for gold. This is the rubrick for EVERY SINGLE QUEST.

All I'm going to say about combat is that it is a joke. Two enimies run up to each other and swing their swords until the other one dies, not bothering to roll, dodge, or move out of the way. They do occasionally block however, but not that it matters if you do, because you could just stand in the corner sucking your thumb until your health regenerates.

Almost everything from Oblivion and Morrowind has been dumbed down. Intricate alchemy system with calcinators and alembics? Gone. Fun spell making? Gone. Interesting quests? Gone.

The A.I. in Skyrim is laughable at best. I had just got done single-handedly taking out the entire Stormcloak army defending Windhelm, (my fellow Imperials just stood around shouting, bumping into each other) and had just slain Ulfrich. I then proceded to walk outside and was immediately called a "milk-drinker" by one of my comrades. This is just one of the many instances where the A.I. completely ignores your achievements. I have slain hundreds of "powerful" dragons, become the head of every guild, lopped off Ulrich's head and single handedly took out his entire army, and sold my soul to 16 different daedra, and still people treat me like a piece of sub-human trash.

Overall, Skyrim is fun for a while, until you realize that it a dumbed down version of Oblivion with laughable A.I. and dragon fights, complete with a boring world and copy-pasted side quests.
  35. Nov 28, 2012
    Currently on my 2nd play thru and have downloaded the add ons. With Dragonborn Expansion this is the best time to go thru the game again. By far the best RPG to date.
  36. Nov 14, 2011
    Skyrim is a good game, but it could have been much better. On the plus side the amazing A/V quality, the usual to-be-expected vast open world with loads of places to explore, greatly improved combat that finally feels good and dynamic, leveling and world scaling that doesn't punish you for not knowing how to do it right, but still offer a lot of fun and challenge. However there are thingsSkyrim is a good game, but it could have been much better. On the plus side the amazing A/V quality, the usual to-be-expected vast open world with loads of places to explore, greatly improved combat that finally feels good and dynamic, leveling and world scaling that doesn't punish you for not knowing how to do it right, but still offer a lot of fun and challenge. However there are things in this game, that could have been much better. Underlaying RPG-world is one of those things: there is simply nothing fun about it, there is no "magic" in it, that we grew to love about say Forgotten Realms. Same can be said about story and quality of npc interactions, dialogues, the overall script. No better is the RPG-system used in TES, which offers bland items, overly problematic crafting options that are best ignored and cumbersome console-oriented interface, that quickly shift your gameplay into few-tricks pony whack-em-all because doing anything more complex is just impossible. Have to say however, that current system is still an improvement over Oblivion. Expand
  37. Feb 6, 2012
    If this equation - Fallout 3>Morrowind>Oblivion - looks right to you then this may well be the review you're after. Having now played through Skyrim for over 100 hours I'd say that it fits into that equation like this - Fallout 3>Morrowind>Skryrim>Oblivion. For me Oblivion was a sidestep from Morrowind as opposed to a step forward and Skyrim is no different. On the plus side Skyrim's meleeIf this equation - Fallout 3>Morrowind>Oblivion - looks right to you then this may well be the review you're after. Having now played through Skyrim for over 100 hours I'd say that it fits into that equation like this - Fallout 3>Morrowind>Skryrim>Oblivion. For me Oblivion was a sidestep from Morrowind as opposed to a step forward and Skyrim is no different. On the plus side Skyrim's melee combat is deffinately getting there - the extra weight and overall feel is far more satisfying than it has been previously. The asthetics are superb with immensely atmospheric music, some lovely graphics, and dungeons that are no longer cookie-cutter bland. However, once you actually get into the game it's not all that long before it really starts to drag and those asthetics can no longer cover up what is just a souless and often boring game. Morrowind's main appeal was in it's exploration and sense that you were out in this big wide world where you could stumble across anything at anytime. However, thanks to the reliance on fast travel and the return of the compass which magically shows you things which you have yet to find the feeling of exploration is killed dead, and the game feels more like a test of your organisational skills than anything - not fun. The encumberance system just means you spend hours trudging back and forth collecting and selling loot and it just gets tiresome. Bethesda either have to dump the encumberance and persist with Skyrim's setup, or dump the fast travel and make the game more about exploration. The story is very thinley spread out too, and often handled badly with dragons swooping out of nowhere in the middle of an important conversation or other NPCs spouting some random BS at you during them instead. In fact the whole RPG element is nothing short of dire, with your choices and actions affecting very little - with a lot of quests often prevent you with 2 choices - "yes" or "yes". Throw in an essentially broken magic system, and a leveling system which kills the joy of finding any rare weapons, and suddenly you become aware of what a mishmash of gaming genres this is and how badley the series as evolved. Whilst not as mind-numbingly dull as Oblivionis, it's still something I couldn't recommend to folk. It's kinda like the Lost In Translation or Blaire Witch Project of games - a lot of hype and a empty husk of an experience. All Bethesda have to do is give Morrowind Skryim's combat feel and asthetics and you'll have a far greater game than the one served up here, which is a damn shame as I was so hoping they'd learnt there lesson from Oblivion. However, they most certainly have not. Less size, more substance next time Bethesda please. Expand
  38. Jan 15, 2013
    Originally, at release, I gave this game a 10 (for the 360). Over a year later I fired it up again... but it felt empty. I wasn't attached to any single part of it and wasn't compelled by any single mechanic. Once you've explored the world, you're left wondering "what else?" So I put it down. Weeks later I had the opportunity to load it up on my PC. At that point, I got into all ofOriginally, at release, I gave this game a 10 (for the 360). Over a year later I fired it up again... but it felt empty. I wasn't attached to any single part of it and wasn't compelled by any single mechanic. Once you've explored the world, you're left wondering "what else?" So I put it down. Weeks later I had the opportunity to load it up on my PC. At that point, I got into all of the wonderful mods available. It was then that I realized that this game is merely "pretty good" until you mod the everliving **** out of it. With hours worth of mod collecting and testing you can assemble a highly replayable experience... but by that time you're more concerned with mods than the game itself. This is a good game. But with the benefit of some time and perspective I'd say it's more of an 8.5 than a 10. And since Metacritic doesn't allow for half-scores, I have to round down to 8, since it is more of an 8 than a 9. Expand
  39. Dec 9, 2011
    Fantastic game. if you enjoyed the rest of the elder scrolls series you will love it. it has some of the best audio i have ever heard on a game. Highly recomended to people who enjot RPG games.
  40. Nov 29, 2011
    Oblivion + better combat system + better graphics + longer main quest + dragons + more quests + dual wield magic + completely unique dungeons = greatest game ever.
  41. Nov 11, 2011
    I've never played an RPG in my life, they just aren't my type of game. However after viewing trailers and gameplay it was hard to ignore this game and not get sucked in so I went and bought the game this morning. I've been playing it all day and i'm hooked.

The game really sucks you in from the very beginning. Whether it be main quests or side quests there's always loads to do and looking at the size of the map I can't begin to imagine how long it would even take to explore everywhere.

So to anyone worried they won't like this game, if they're like me and don't play many RPG's... don't be worried. The game will suck you in with its incredible environment, great combat system, likable characters, cool puzzles, imaginative quests and the rewards achieved when leveling up. JUST GO BUY IT NOW!
  42. Dec 22, 2011
    The elder scrolls franchise has always been one of the most amazing series' of all time, all of the games in this series have been extremely popular in the gaming community and greatly loved by many gamers and Skyrim does not differ. After it's announcement in december 2010, the hype began. It continued to grow and skyrim became what was probably one the most anticipated games of 2011.The elder scrolls franchise has always been one of the most amazing series' of all time, all of the games in this series have been extremely popular in the gaming community and greatly loved by many gamers and Skyrim does not differ. After it's announcement in december 2010, the hype began. It continued to grow and skyrim became what was probably one the most anticipated games of 2011. Upon it's release millions of gamers, including long-time fans and those new to the series spent hours of their lives in the living, breathing fantasy world of skyrim, which lived up to all of it's expectations and well deserved hype. With its stunning graphics, amazing story telling, almost infinite amount of content and its expansive world and lore. Skyrim is just one of those games that will live on, and be remembered for a long time. But on a more personal level, I look at skyrim as more than a game, I see it as a work of art because wherever you look in skyrim you can see it's true artistic Beauty. You can walk through a field and everyone will have a different experience, one may see a dragon soar overhead, one may meet a trader or bandits, or see a butterfly float past. Each dungeon in skyrim is uniquely crafted and they all tell a story, with the simple placement. An rpg should be about playing a role and in skyrim you can play many, it's up to you, and telling a story which skyrim does both verbally and physically. With the perfect AI, perfectly crafted environment and the way they have replicated nature and society, Bethesda has made alot more than a game, they have made a whole world. Perfection 10/10 Expand
  43. Dec 4, 2011
    I was looking at the reviews for this great game and i was appalled to see a single person rated this game bad. Yes, it crashes every once in awhile, yes it's occasionally buggy, but this game is spectacular. There's no other game I'd rather play. This game stole my life, so now i have none but to play Skyrim.
  44. Jan 9, 2012
    This game has been optimised for X360, so it's getting the highest score from me out of the 3 releases. Nevertheless, I'm underwhelmed. ...... I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series (I've been there since the beginning!), and I love my PS3 and PC versions of Oblivion (PC version is modded beyond belief, and still gets a lot of my time). However, there were niggling issues with thatThis game has been optimised for X360, so it's getting the highest score from me out of the 3 releases. Nevertheless, I'm underwhelmed. ...... I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series (I've been there since the beginning!), and I love my PS3 and PC versions of Oblivion (PC version is modded beyond belief, and still gets a lot of my time). However, there were niggling issues with that game that I hoped would be resolved. They haven't. ....... Combat is still clunky and unbalanced, dialogue is awful, the UI is appalling, quests are linear and forgetful, the game engine (Gamebryo not 'Creation'!) is as buggy and weak as ever, and the animations in the game are 2004-spec......... The music and sound, however, are VERY strong, the world is well realised (Bethesda actually had art direction this time!), and the allure of the big open gamespace is as strong as ever. Dragons are fun, if easy to kill and repetitive. Dragon-shouts differentiate the PC from the NPCs, which is important. These are the plus points, but there should really have been more........... Besthesda are not pushing themselves. Oblivion 1.5 is nice, but where's the innovation, guys? Deep inside i'll always know that this is not yet the RPG I know this dev can make.......... Next time- get a new engine (a REAL, new engine), redesign combat entirely, come up with decent stealth mechanics, hire new writers and build a better connection between the game world and the people that inhabit it (better AI, animations etc.). Because as much as I love the Elder Scrolls, I can't pretend forever that this isn't a bit of a mess. -Loco Expand
  45. Dec 20, 2011
    I had hoped for this game to be really engaging, but there's not much to do at all. The main quest is sweet but a bit short, the Companions questline was just forgettable, College of Winterhold Questline was boring, and the Dark brotherhood and Thieve's Guild questlines were alright. Miscellaneous quests are an absolute **** The textures aren't great at all, the animations were reallyI had hoped for this game to be really engaging, but there's not much to do at all. The main quest is sweet but a bit short, the Companions questline was just forgettable, College of Winterhold Questline was boring, and the Dark brotherhood and Thieve's Guild questlines were alright. Miscellaneous quests are an absolute **** The textures aren't great at all, the animations were really stiff. It's quite boring after you do a bunch of stuff, and apparently Giants are stronger than DRAGONS. Also, the dragons themselves aren't that big, and can EASILY be killed. Also, the amount of bugs are HUGE. This is quite a disappointment in terms of content. Everyone thinks this is the best game ever, but in truth it's far from it. Rage all you want fanboys. Expand
  46. Jul 16, 2012
    One of the most annoying games i have ever played. I really don't understand what most people mean when they say the Graphics are good. They are pathetic!Terrible! And how can someone call this game Non-linear. The (disappointing) story is kinda straight, except for even more annoying side missions. But what tops all of this is the traveling you have to do after every mission. Literally,One of the most annoying games i have ever played. I really don't understand what most people mean when they say the Graphics are good. They are pathetic!Terrible! And how can someone call this game Non-linear. The (disappointing) story is kinda straight, except for even more annoying side missions. But what tops all of this is the traveling you have to do after every mission. Literally, and i mean literally, a new mission meant traveling to other corner of the Map. It takes a while for you to level-up your stamina, and therefore you can't event sprint the whole distance. So you'll end up walking from one end to the other, and to do what!! Deliver a jewel, kill a wolf, talk to a lady. OMG! And while everyone keeps talking about you being the Dragonborn, there is not a moment in the game when you feel you've actually achieved anything in the game. Leveling up makes no sense, as the other characters move with you, so you pretty much remain where you are. A huge letdown. I am amazed at the score the reviewers have given this game. Do yourself a favor by laying your hands off this one. I have promised myself never to get another game by Bethesda. Expand
  47. Feb 24, 2012
    I'm probably just a minor crowd here but it seems this and oblivion aren't the games for me.. I don't want a game where I can explore walking about and looking at the scenes. Those are good but not a main selling point for me. I'm tired of this game showing up when i try to find top 10 RPGs of 2011. I'm into RPGs for captivating stories.. games that fill me with a sense of purpose whenI'm probably just a minor crowd here but it seems this and oblivion aren't the games for me.. I don't want a game where I can explore walking about and looking at the scenes. Those are good but not a main selling point for me. I'm tired of this game showing up when i try to find top 10 RPGs of 2011. I'm into RPGs for captivating stories.. games that fill me with a sense of purpose when I get around a main turning point. I want to read a story book without having to open a book :). In this game the story seems to be in the background with other features shining in the foreground. That doesn't represent the Role Playing Game genre to me.. But.. from the ratings this game is generally getting, it seems I am a rare breed. Expand
  48. Dec 8, 2011
    Out of principal I didn't buy this game because of the travesty that was Oblivion. That game ranks among the greatest disappointments in my gaming life and I'll just assume they still employ the same adolescent dough heads that created that piece of crap. If you hated Oblivion then DO NOT buy this game. Don't encourage them. We need to some how get the video game industry back on track.
  49. Jun 28, 2012
    I was a big fan of Oblivion and Morrowwind but skyrim managed to never really be anything but terrible. When I first bought it crashed and manages to allmost every hour not matter what console, glitches dont help keep the experiance fun and the RPG mechanics aren't implemented well, pretty much a let down for many fans and allthough many people can play through through this buggy mess, II was a big fan of Oblivion and Morrowwind but skyrim managed to never really be anything but terrible. When I first bought it crashed and manages to allmost every hour not matter what console, glitches dont help keep the experiance fun and the RPG mechanics aren't implemented well, pretty much a let down for many fans and allthough many people can play through through this buggy mess, I find that the game was ruined by all the technical issues and bad bugs. Expand
  50. Mar 28, 2012
    What an awesome game, you know! Laggy, buggy and ugly, it's combat mechanic is broken, upgrades are useless, and the world is empty. Story is just awful (dragons are back, what a tragedy!). At the beginning, people discuss uriels, kings and others, whom I even don't know. That is the why the score is 0. Do not buy it.
  51. Feb 4, 2012
    I wanted to like this game, really bad. With all the hype surrounding it I was expecting a lot. However in recent years Bethesda seems to just be churning out mediocre games filled with bugs and ultimately feel unsatisfying. There's no real challenge here, just an extraordinary amount of things to do. The biggest fault of this game for me was the combat. Simply put, the combat is justI wanted to like this game, really bad. With all the hype surrounding it I was expecting a lot. However in recent years Bethesda seems to just be churning out mediocre games filled with bugs and ultimately feel unsatisfying. There's no real challenge here, just an extraordinary amount of things to do. The biggest fault of this game for me was the combat. Simply put, the combat is just boring and easy; no matter what type of combat you choose to specialize in you can do well, because there is little strategy at all to approaching fights. The game world, while beautiful, utilizes the same type of randomly generated events and encounters we've been seeing in these types of games for years now. Overall, the game isn't terrible, but it nots nearly as ground-breaking or flawless as people make it out to be. Expand
  52. Dec 31, 2011
    I had HUGE expectations in this after oblivion...and now im twisted...there are a lot of sidequests and places to visit..the world truely is huge, and i think it´s better set alive than in oblivion by the random encounters you will have on roads, like talmor carrying a prisoner ( you could walk by or rescue him), and there are a lot of these moments...the dragons wereI had HUGE expectations in this after oblivion...and now im twisted...there are a lot of sidequests and places to visit..the world truely is huge, and i think it´s better set alive than in oblivion by the random encounters you will have on roads, like talmor carrying a prisoner ( you could walk by or rescue him), and there are a lot of these moments...the dragons were impressive, i had a lot of fun only watching the random fights between dragons and giants :D...the Thuums can be used tactically by setting the power of the individual Thuum and by thinking about its cooling-time...the graphics are nice. But then again there really are reasons to not like this game...the world is huge, but you will end up in a rotation of town-dungeon-town-dungeon etc....money really has nothing to say anymore, the only things worth buying were some potions if you run low on them and spells,youll end up with thousands of septimes just hanging in your inventory unused because the loot is practically all you need...the character-creation was dumped down to be more actionlike,it really is more action than before, but it has lost a lot of its roleplaying by deleting classes and stats...the perks do add and are usefull, but not necessary, so leveling only becomes intresting for raising health/magicka/stamina...the quests are simply repetitive, go get that, kill him, walk there, kill dragon, learn word nr. 56 etc....the quests where you had npcs fighting at your side were rather annoying, i would have apretiated doing those quests alone, for the npcs always seemed to die really fast or break down if they were immortal,and they only mindlessly charged forward into battle without making use of tactics/stealth or anything...although there are random moments adding to the whole plot, the story seems just poorly thought out...dragon x wants to destroy the world, the land is twisted because of a civil war, and the quests are just poor in storytelling...the guilds seem rather pointless, i felt dumb being guildleader after 3 quest, being raised from a little fish to the leader of the famous and legendary companions guild, and all those guildquests are like that... the civil war is a joke,2 or 3 quests to prove your loyalty, then some quests just slicing through hordes of enemies in castles to conquer them--> civil war won yuhey!...the game seems awesome and stunning at first, but it gets boring really fast...many people complained about the smithing perk being owerpowered, the whole difficulty being to low if you got your hands on this uberequipment which is fairly easy, but i dont understand those...if the game is too easy for your taste, set the difficulty higher...if you hate the uberequipment because it kills the challenge, then dont use it...simple as that...i always had challenging fights, but you really have to be one patient guy if you want to play this through with sidequests etc.... especially for i see no replayability in this due to a lack of classes,stat costumization and a general lack of options in every case...from my point of view its far from a metascore of 96, i would have given it 9 points after the first 2 hours, but the first impression in this case, even if its sad, is wrong. Expand
  53. Dec 17, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is a let down in the sense that it is not a evolution from Oblivion. 5 years on from Oblivion and Skyrim still feels like a rehash and instead of a brand new game a huge expansion with better graphics. I really wanted to love Skyrim but I could not help feeling disappointed with the game that was so hyped. The main story is just boring full of uninterestingThe Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is a let down in the sense that it is not a evolution from Oblivion. 5 years on from Oblivion and Skyrim still feels like a rehash and instead of a brand new game a huge expansion with better graphics. I really wanted to love Skyrim but I could not help feeling disappointed with the game that was so hyped. The main story is just boring full of uninteresting characters but the side quest lines save the game from being a utter snore-fest. The voice acting is varied to say the least and some truly bad facial animation keep me from being fully immersed in this world. It used to be that I like Elder Scrolls better then Fallout but now the times have changed and I would rather see another Fallout game rather then a Elder Scrolls game. I did like the game but I was disappointed. Expand
  54. Nov 17, 2011
    What to say about a game,is this really a game,is it fiction,is it reality?Is it a dream,let me tell you without trying so hard not to go over the top.Perfection.Will you put this game in your console 10 years from now?Without a doubt I would put this game in my console for 20+ years if the good lord lets me.This game is deserving of a perfect 10 out of any other games I have ever playedWhat to say about a game,is this really a game,is it fiction,is it reality?Is it a dream,let me tell you without trying so hard not to go over the top.Perfection.Will you put this game in your console 10 years from now?Without a doubt I would put this game in my console for 20+ years if the good lord lets me.This game is deserving of a perfect 10 out of any other games I have ever played and I have played them all from donkey Kong on the Atari,when I was a kid waiting in line,to playing Dragon's Lair at the arcade to Halo, to this,ect...This is a gamer's dream come true and truth be said my favorite game, up to the point, was Mass effect 2 and I thought I would be at least saying that for the next decade.There are game companies with so much talent and innovation and there getting better and better but no one can touch Bethesda with a mile long stick.Not even the much loved Bioware,EA and Rockstar.Play this,live this, enjoy this, an epic masterpiece has entered the horizon my fellow ladies and gentlemen.We are not perfect as people,the world is not perfect but this really is. Expand
  55. Dec 7, 2011
    Skyrim rocks. If you want a single-player 'team' game, where the storyline is tighter and supporting cast are memorable and develop over time, this will be less fulfilling than the Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or Grand Theft Auto sandpit-type rpg's. But if you want the ultimate in lone-wolf hero RPG freedom, like to explore and/or craft, or just want a ridiculous variety of gameplay optionsSkyrim rocks. If you want a single-player 'team' game, where the storyline is tighter and supporting cast are memorable and develop over time, this will be less fulfilling than the Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or Grand Theft Auto sandpit-type rpg's. But if you want the ultimate in lone-wolf hero RPG freedom, like to explore and/or craft, or just want a ridiculous variety of gameplay options for the price of one, this is it. The storyline is more coherent to the casually-interested than the last few games, but the best memories you'll get from this iteration are still the ones that emerge almost randomly and unexpectedly, when you take a detour from a detour and just let the world take you wherever it's going to take you. Expand
  56. Nov 13, 2011
    Its good, but its not as good as Oblivion or Fallout 3. There is a sense of streamlining (aka dumbing down) that is a bit disappointing after playing Beth's older games. No item degradation, uninspired clunky menus, inclusion of health regen makes healing items less useful etc. The FPV combat is better but its not as visceral and strategic as that seen in Dead Island, also with still notIts good, but its not as good as Oblivion or Fallout 3. There is a sense of streamlining (aka dumbing down) that is a bit disappointing after playing Beth's older games. No item degradation, uninspired clunky menus, inclusion of health regen makes healing items less useful etc. The FPV combat is better but its not as visceral and strategic as that seen in Dead Island, also with still not many weapon types to choose from it can get a bit repetitive. The removal of stats and some skills makes the game feel much less like an RPG than it used to. Kinda feels like what BioWare have done to their RPG's, in that they turned them into dumb action games for the masses. Much of the nuance is missing which means the game is less fulfilling to gamers who grew up playing these games. The game is good though, and it looks a lot prettier than Oblivion. The archery is a lot better, and the TP anims look great. The new setting and dragons are really cool. But overall its a bit less awesome than previous Beth games imo. Expand
  57. Dec 29, 2011
    Well I am now 120 hours in level 40 and still dont feel I scratched the surface this game is amazing and fully deserves the GOTY award it got. Yes some bugs are there. Followers can get stuck, weapons can remain hovering, but after all this time these are the only issues I found and on a game this massive in size and scope its inevitable. Anyway I think im about halfway through theWell I am now 120 hours in level 40 and still dont feel I scratched the surface this game is amazing and fully deserves the GOTY award it got. Yes some bugs are there. Followers can get stuck, weapons can remain hovering, but after all this time these are the only issues I found and on a game this massive in size and scope its inevitable. Anyway I think im about halfway through the main quest and College, im yet to start the companions, thieves guild, dark brotherhood or the civil war line!! The soundtack, landscapes, environments and interactions are amazing. Im going to be playing this for months, if not years and I know it has already become one my favourite games of all time. Expand
  58. Nov 28, 2011
    What a masterpiece! Skyrim has far surpassed my expectations and is one of my favorite games ever created. The main story is fun and interesting. There is also a great sense of scale and content in skyrim. Everywhere you look there is an interesting side quest or dungeon to explore. Oh and can i mention the random sidequests are actually really fun and interesting? Also all of the FactionsWhat a masterpiece! Skyrim has far surpassed my expectations and is one of my favorite games ever created. The main story is fun and interesting. There is also a great sense of scale and content in skyrim. Everywhere you look there is an interesting side quest or dungeon to explore. Oh and can i mention the random sidequests are actually really fun and interesting? Also all of the Factions are full of quality as well. Like the Thieves guild and Dark brotherhood two of my favorites! The soundtrack is beautiful as well i was so happy to hear the morrowind theme in Skyrim! Plus the whole game is around 300+ hours of quality. Bethesda has outdone themselves! Expand
  59. Nov 29, 2011
    I'm honestly surprised by the negative attitude this game is getting. If you say you put a zero to offset the high scores, and you wanted to give it a 5 or a 6, then you're not reviewing a game right. Reviews are based on your personal experience, and mine has been pretty great so far, barring a few glitches. I think the game looks and plays better than Oblivion, and comparing it to otherI'm honestly surprised by the negative attitude this game is getting. If you say you put a zero to offset the high scores, and you wanted to give it a 5 or a 6, then you're not reviewing a game right. Reviews are based on your personal experience, and mine has been pretty great so far, barring a few glitches. I think the game looks and plays better than Oblivion, and comparing it to other games in the genre is a little bit maddening. I'm reading a lot of reviews comparing it to Dark Souls, and thats apples and oranges there, and of course, a little similar to the two main FPS games that came out this year. In my opinion this game is near perfect, and despite it locking up on me two or three times I'm having an amazing time playing through these quests. I'm currently playing a spellcaster, and the animations for the spells are great, as well as the set pieces and dungeons throughout skyrim. This game is worth playing, and is a worth while Elder Scrolls sequel. Expand
  60. IMN
    Nov 14, 2011
    Masterpiece! I just climb over the throat of the world and this is astonishing! Then I was killed by throll and that was astonishing too! I wish this piece of art will never ends! Love it! Best game ever!
  61. Nov 14, 2011
    This game is why 10's are awarded and absolutely what all gaming should strive for. I guarantee you will get your money's worth and then some. Just be prepared to put a hefty amount of time in; so much to do! I could sit here and tell you know how beautiful, satisfying and amazing this game is but I'll keep it as simple as possible: this game is the best release for 360 to date.
  62. Nov 14, 2011
    love this game apart from ,ive unlock 4 words for my shout, 2 are working fine but the onther 2 are not ,as ive kiled 7 more dragons and the shouts are not working
  63. Nov 28, 2011
    I pre-ordered this game no daring to expect what I had heard. Several big titles in the past few years have been a huge letdown simply because of hype, and from my experience, not a single one lived up to it completely. At first, when the game started, the graphics seemed odd, and I dreaded, for a fleeting few minutes, that I was right, this game is overhyped and won't be as good as theI pre-ordered this game no daring to expect what I had heard. Several big titles in the past few years have been a huge letdown simply because of hype, and from my experience, not a single one lived up to it completely. At first, when the game started, the graphics seemed odd, and I dreaded, for a fleeting few minutes, that I was right, this game is overhyped and won't be as good as the past Elder Scrolls titles. But I gritted my teeth and pressed onward, and after the intro my complete immersion began. I immediately set off in the opposite direction of where it told me to go. I happened upon a butterfly, and decided to fire off a spell at it, it fell to the ground, clearly dead. I blinked, never before had aesthetic effects like butterflies been intractable in this manner, I found I was able to loot it, which again is a major thing (to me) for a game this immense to have. 40 hours later I hadn't looked back, this game completely consumed my free time. The story was amazing, the scope is so vast it is hard to grasp. When I tore away from the game to do a paper, I realized, I wasn't even 1/6 of the way through the game. And this is one character, in a game with so many unique play-styles and races.
    Worth mentioning is the random encounters. When I played the Fallout games I was very very happy with the random encounters, and in sky-rim, I won't spoil anything, but they get better and better, sometimes resulting in sequences of action that are non scripted, but resemble a multi million dollar blockbuster film. These events can do anything from giving you an item, or literally almost destroying a towns population.
    The attention to the natural scape is the first i've actually noticed in a game without someone else commenting on it. The jagged mountains jut haphazardly into the sky, sometimes draped in clouds or hidden by snow. And the best part? You can climb all of it. In conclusion many features from Oblivion have been removed, but the additions far outweigh the removals. What you are getting here is not only the game of the year, but perhaps the best game for many years to come, offering a completionist an Everest of a mountain to climb. Oh, and FINALLY, after all of Bethesda's games, STEALTH FINALLY IS USEABLE.
  64. Nov 28, 2011
    Possibly one of the best games of the year. This RPG is one for everyone. I had never played an Elder Scrolls game before, tried Fallout 3 but didn't like it too much. But Skyrim got me very excited. "See that mountain over there? Yeah, you can climb that mountain." That's one of the main attractions to the game - it's so large and full of adventure. The graphics are very good for a gamePossibly one of the best games of the year. This RPG is one for everyone. I had never played an Elder Scrolls game before, tried Fallout 3 but didn't like it too much. But Skyrim got me very excited. "See that mountain over there? Yeah, you can climb that mountain." That's one of the main attractions to the game - it's so large and full of adventure. The graphics are very good for a game so large and the dragon encounters are very fun. They appear randomly, which can shock you when they appear when you're not prepared, like they did for me in the middle of a city. But they all do essentially the same thing and can become repetitive. There are bugs but it doesn't affect the overall experience, most of them are good to laugh at. The bugs are forgivable mainly because they are to be expected in such a big game. But Bethesda have already patched the PS3 version, with a X-Box and PC patch coming tomorrow. I think most people will enjoy this game because you can play it anyway you want. Prefer to be stealthy and love Assassins Creed? Then go for archery and become a Dark Elf. Love melee and hate magic? Try the Khajiit or an Ork. Nobodies experience will be the same, rather like Minecraft. I encourage everyone to pick up this game. Expand
  65. Nov 20, 2011
    The first couple hours felt like a mixture of Two Worlds and Call of Duty MW2 combined. I found it difficult to fully immerse myself into the story because the scripting is just too darn cheesy, and I was definitely left wanting more in combat. Most movements are rigid, and lack variety which is paired with poorly calibrated physics. The consideration put into physics becomes apparent whenThe first couple hours felt like a mixture of Two Worlds and Call of Duty MW2 combined. I found it difficult to fully immerse myself into the story because the scripting is just too darn cheesy, and I was definitely left wanting more in combat. Most movements are rigid, and lack variety which is paired with poorly calibrated physics. The consideration put into physics becomes apparent when watching a dragon fly around, or how the wooden bridge falls after Hadvar pulls the lever in the beginners area, OR how you can stand upright on a almost vertical mountainside.

The game has been dumbed down extensively, which I see as contradictory to the genre of Role Playing in general. I almost didn't know what to think when I picked up the first weapon and the only stats for it were damage, weight and value. The world is beautiful and fully traversable, and worth a score of 5 in its own right, and an additional 1 for effort. The rest speaks for itself. Fix the physics, and completely revamp the combat system... its about time. Or maybe make skyrim a DLC/Expansion for morrowind. Ho ho ho...

P.S. where did my acrobatics skill go?
  66. Nov 20, 2011
    i think is a good game but i think it doesn't evolve from past series, the game could do a lot more, and i mean a looooot but i am disappointed. the graphics are great and the sound to, the gameplay is the same
  67. Nov 28, 2011
    This game is a phenomenal addition to the Elder Scrolls series. Since playing Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas, I've been looking forward to a new installment that introduced a new engine and a game that brings home the dinner in every aspect and Skyrim does just that. It's in-depth game play and detail is so immense, it will disgrace future games as they are comparedThis game is a phenomenal addition to the Elder Scrolls series. Since playing Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas, I've been looking forward to a new installment that introduced a new engine and a game that brings home the dinner in every aspect and Skyrim does just that. It's in-depth game play and detail is so immense, it will disgrace future games as they are compared to Skyrim's beautiful world. Expand
  68. Nov 29, 2011
    An overall great game. The few bugs are overshadowed by the immense open world and sheer number of side missions to do. I've played over 100 hours as a 2H Warrior so far and I still can't wait to try out a mage. Wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack!
  69. Nov 29, 2011
    I must say, this game definitely fits its title. ADHD's worst enemy! I already have 45 hours logged, problem is I just got into the third main quest.... I do not have the time for this GAME! I love it. Best. Game. EVAR! Seriously though, the care they put into this game literally makes it show that Bethesda actual cares about creating a game people can be proud to admit they put soI must say, this game definitely fits its title. ADHD's worst enemy! I already have 45 hours logged, problem is I just got into the third main quest.... I do not have the time for this GAME! I love it. Best. Game. EVAR! Seriously though, the care they put into this game literally makes it show that Bethesda actual cares about creating a game people can be proud to admit they put so many hours into it! Good job, can't wait for some of your other games! Expand
  70. Nov 29, 2011
    A great game with a lot to do and see. There's nothing so annoying that it detracts from the good things in the game. Some things are a little weird like the menu system and the fact that you can't see your character in the menu, but other than that there is so much that this game does right that you can deal with minor inconveniences.
  71. Dec 4, 2011
    Best game I have ever played. Skyrim boasts the most immersive, beautiful, and evocative world ever fit into a T.V. screen. Writing this game off because of a few bugs which will be fixed in a few weeks with a few updates is utterly insane. There's so much to say about this game so I will pick something you might have missed -- the music!!! The music is beautiful and it is woven intoBest game I have ever played. Skyrim boasts the most immersive, beautiful, and evocative world ever fit into a T.V. screen. Writing this game off because of a few bugs which will be fixed in a few weeks with a few updates is utterly insane. There's so much to say about this game so I will pick something you might have missed -- the music!!! The music is beautiful and it is woven into gameplay in a way that makes you stand on the edge of a mountain and stare off into the sunset every few minutes. Expand
  72. Dec 9, 2011
    If I were to sum this game up in to one word, its would be "Beautiful". This is everything that is good about video games, in one giant package. Bethesda has put allot of love into this project, and it shows. An amazing game with an amazing amount of amazing content with an amazing story and an amazing.... Well, you get the point. There are a few flaws here'n there, but the detail andIf I were to sum this game up in to one word, its would be "Beautiful". This is everything that is good about video games, in one giant package. Bethesda has put allot of love into this project, and it shows. An amazing game with an amazing amount of amazing content with an amazing story and an amazing.... Well, you get the point. There are a few flaws here'n there, but the detail and content in this game is so great, you will just flick them away and instantly forget them. Are you a gamer?, then this is a must buy!!!. Expand
  73. Jan 2, 2013
    The game features nice graphics, good sound, bad gameplay and very good longevity. When you play this game, you will get bored very soon: the gameplay doesn't have a point, a competition. You just play it for relaxing. You go and get some special object, but the game isn't competitive. It doesn't have a point. Very extended world, good graphics, but poor performance, and the game is fullThe game features nice graphics, good sound, bad gameplay and very good longevity. When you play this game, you will get bored very soon: the gameplay doesn't have a point, a competition. You just play it for relaxing. You go and get some special object, but the game isn't competitive. It doesn't have a point. Very extended world, good graphics, but poor performance, and the game is full of bugs. Good plot. Gameplay 2/10 Graphics/Performance 2/10 Plot 5/10 Longevity 6.25/10 Average: 3.81 OVERALL SCORE: 3/10 (not an average) Expand
  74. Dec 19, 2011
    Skyrim wins for most overrated game of the year. Seriously, I find nothing good about this game that is worthy of getting all of the attention it is getting right now. This game is probably more overrated and overhyped than COD has ever been. Battlefield 3 **** on this game so bad yet all of the awards this year only talked about this **** ass game.
  75. Dec 3, 2011
    Overall: A game of extreme pros and cons, Skyrim is ultimately too much of a grind to play for enjoyment. Pros: -The music is phenomenal. -It is chock full of quests of different sorts, some with story lines, some are one-offs.
    Cons: -I've played 2 different characters, for a total of 100 hours or so, and I can't stand how hard it is to max-out each character's main skills. It's damn impossible. It makes the game a slog. You can't experience everything that each skill has to offer without putting in 100 hours per character.
    -It's somewhat buggy. -Some of the combat is just as tedious as the leveling.
    -The dialogue and voice acting, especially on the people you talk to the most, is grating and annoying. -A few of the races [lizard with boobs, cats] are absolutely stupid.
  76. Aug 30, 2013
    So, I purchased this game after getting bored of Fallout: New Vegas (~50 hours played). I was expecting it to be really good because of the positive reviews, and tons of people I know telling me it was good. So, long story short, this is one of the worst RPG's I've played. I totally wasted $60 by purchasing this game. By the time I was ~8 hours in I was literally bored out of my mind. ISo, I purchased this game after getting bored of Fallout: New Vegas (~50 hours played). I was expecting it to be really good because of the positive reviews, and tons of people I know telling me it was good. So, long story short, this is one of the worst RPG's I've played. I totally wasted $60 by purchasing this game. By the time I was ~8 hours in I was literally bored out of my mind. I forced myself to play it though so I didn't feel like I wasted $60, and I was hoping it would get better; it didn't. after 12 more hours of forced play time I couldn't take it anymore. My favorite genre to play is an RPG, this didn't feel like an RPG at all. Pretty much ZERO equipment upgrades, no super cool weapons that do crazy no cool armor, exploring got tedious and questing bored me after the first few I completed. I literally have nothing good to say about this game and I'm not sure what other people see in this game to rate it so high. To each his own, but I definitely feel like I wasted my money on this. Expand
  77. Nov 19, 2011
    Been playing for several days, about 10 hours in. For a first few hours everything seemed to be good, but then eventually I started to get really bored. I feel that Skyrim lacks the kind of magic that was in Oblivion for example. Also, while all the critics universally praised music in Skyrim, I think that Oblivion had much better and more beautiful music. Skyrim sounds doesn't evokeBeen playing for several days, about 10 hours in. For a first few hours everything seemed to be good, but then eventually I started to get really bored. I feel that Skyrim lacks the kind of magic that was in Oblivion for example. Also, while all the critics universally praised music in Skyrim, I think that Oblivion had much better and more beautiful music. Skyrim sounds doesn't evoke emotions in me as Oblivion did.

And the main complaint I have is that the game has too little differences and improvements from Oblivion, I honestly expected much more. It's almost like MW2 and MW3. Yes, the map is new, but all other things are pretty much the same. Gameplay got Old, imo, staying the same as 5 years ago.

Quests are mostly boring: go there, bring that, talk to him, kill dragon, learn the word, repeat x 100. When I look back on other Bethesda games, I come to conclusion that Fallout 3 is the best game they made. Skyrim gets 7 from me.
  78. Feb 11, 2012
    Boring clunky combat. Dull depressing graphics and colours. Alot of the game is spent in menus. Gamebreaking bugs all over. Constant crashes. Boring/Repetitve quests. Dragons become very irritating as theres too many. NPCs have bad animations etc. The AI is absolutely terrible. No way to respec skills if mistakes are made or you change your play style. The only good thing aboiut this gameBoring clunky combat. Dull depressing graphics and colours. Alot of the game is spent in menus. Gamebreaking bugs all over. Constant crashes. Boring/Repetitve quests. Dragons become very irritating as theres too many. NPCs have bad animations etc. The AI is absolutely terrible. No way to respec skills if mistakes are made or you change your play style. The only good thing aboiut this game is the exploration but even that is ruined by the boring visuals. Avoid at least until its fixed. Much better RPGs around. Expand
  79. Dec 11, 2011
    Fire the guy who designed the interface. Just. Fire. Him. It's the worst interface I've ever seen. We have a mouse, non a gamepad. Apart from that, is the same game we already knew from Oblivion. Lots of bugs, pleasant graphics (but you can do better IF you don't do a straight from console porting) et cetera. If you liked Oblivion you will like this. If you couldnÃ
  80. Dec 29, 2011
    Horrible and disapointing game. Skyrim is everything Elder Scrolls fans did not want. Its smaller,stripped,mainstreamed,buggy and ugly game. If this is the new direction of Elder Scrolls then this serie is dead for me. It certainly won my FOTY(Fail of the year) award this year.
  81. Nov 27, 2011
    First, the pros: The graphics are occasionally downright sublime. The water effects are especially spectacular. There are some fresh game elements, but enough has stayed the same so as to let Oblivion fans jump right in. With some notable exceptions, just about everything that I liked about Oblivion is back.
    Now the cons: Let's start with load times. In a word, extreme. It is not unusual for me to wait 2-3 minutes when simply opening a door, if that door requires the loading of a new section. That would be bearable if opening such doors weren't something the game requires so frequently. During some stretches, I think I spend an equal split of time between playing and waiting for things to load. Next, some of the additions were fun at first but quickly became annoying, like the random dragon attacks. You can't go much of anywhere in the game without yet another dragon attacking. Okay, enough already. I've got enough dragon souls to last awhile...could you just go away?! The dungeons impressed me with their massiveness, at first. Then they just started to seem too massive...massive just for the sake of being massive. On one not particularly unusual dungeon, it took more than 10 minutes (after I'd cleared out all the baddies) to run at full speed from the start of the level to the end. That would be great if the dungeons were at all interesting, but they're just room after monotonous room, to the point where you're thinking, all right enough already, just get me to the end so I can advance the story.
    Those are my biggest grievances. Oh wait...let me just say that if I ever come across the Bethesda employee that came up with the idea to eliminate Oblivion's Feather spells, I'm going to drag him into a dark alley in Riften and go to work with my ebony battle axe!
  82. May 24, 2012
    Tedious comes to mind as do exhausting, laborious, unsatisfying, drawn out, bloated, broken unfinished, excruciating.. and more. This game at times is beautiful.. well for a computer game.. and i mean at times.. some other times it looks awful.. The world you become immersed in soon dissipates when you come across clunking animatronics and badgers flying in the sky. The extremely clunkyTedious comes to mind as do exhausting, laborious, unsatisfying, drawn out, bloated, broken unfinished, excruciating.. and more. This game at times is beautiful.. well for a computer game.. and i mean at times.. some other times it looks awful.. The world you become immersed in soon dissipates when you come across clunking animatronics and badgers flying in the sky. The extremely clunky combat system is an absolute game killer for me. Totally unsatisfying.. When will a developer realize this is a very important part of a game like this? I have so many legitimate complaints about this game from papier mache npcs to excruciatingly dull crafting systems! i could write a book and i have only played 20 to 30 hours. Ultimately this game after a 10 hour stint made me feel hollow and depressed... yet another title i will be returning.. i give it a 9 for world and graphics but whats the point if the gameplay is wholly unsatisfying? Expand
  83. Apr 5, 2012
    When I first saw this game, I was excited. I mean, YES!!!!! A sequel to oblivion, a game I enjoyed the hell out of, is having a sequel. It's going to be amazing. And it was. For maybe 2 hours. However, after that honeymoon, the game falls off. The quests feel bland. The guild quests try to create a storyline instead of it actually me being a thief. I mean, one of the thief quests actuallyWhen I first saw this game, I was excited. I mean, YES!!!!! A sequel to oblivion, a game I enjoyed the hell out of, is having a sequel. It's going to be amazing. And it was. For maybe 2 hours. However, after that honeymoon, the game falls off. The quests feel bland. The guild quests try to create a storyline instead of it actually me being a thief. I mean, one of the thief quests actually let me kill the one person guarding the house! We're not the dark brotherhood, but I could, and I did, because it was tedious as hell to get that one person away. The story of Skyrim... who cares. I mean, nobody cared. It's all about the open world. However, the combat was very simplistic and Oblivion had the same system. The combat was not refreshing, magic was more like 2 good spells and gimicky spells that you would only use cause they looked good. Dual wielding was nice, and I have no problems with it. But I could not start a new character. Sure, I could start out a mage, or a warrior, or a thief, but there's no classes. There's no bonuses, no anything. Becoming that master warrior is something you could do on your first character except that he probably has better gear, better gold, and better health. But I'm ok with that, if combat wasn't boring. Dragon fights are completely foolish, and a pain in the ass if you don't have the shout to bring them down. All it is is hacking and slashing when it falls down, and running around hoping it drops again. Also, the world is stale as hell. I killed the emperor, THE EMPEROR for christ's sake, and no one even bated an eye. Skyrim is part of the empire, loyal to the emperor, but there was no big mourning, no one crying in the streets, people saying it was the stromcloaks who killed him, NO! It was just the same old thing when I came back to town. I went for the stromcloaks, and guess what... nothing changed. No big changes. Nothing. This gives very little sense of reward or progression. It only matter in story quests, but those are alright, but make up 3 hours or so. With bland quests with very little reward besides gold or awesome daedra weapons, questing just isn't fun. Also, 90% of the quests are all just conventient. They just happen right when you get there. Maybe it'd be alright if it was a traditional rpg where you actually go town to town in a set order, but it isn't like this. It happens SOOOOOO much. How come I didn't feel this way in Oblivion, or Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Because they intergrated their quests nicely. Skyrim did it poorly. I'd rather just go to an inn, and literally just live my life like a lumberjack then go questing. But there are TONS of dungenons. Oh wait, all them are the same. Maybe not exactly the same, but once you go in one crypt, you've been in them all. Loads of zombies you hack and slash through, and reach the end, get a new shout, and you leave. While shouts are nice, they just seem gimmicky and a bit clunky, and some of them are useless. Well this game is good for the honeymoon phase, after that OMG THIS IS SKYRIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! part, this game just falls off and feels uneventful and a lifeless, stale world where your actions mean nothing. Even though your doing so much stuff. It's pretty. Combat is boring, quests are boring, everything is boring. Expand
  84. Jan 20, 2013
    I have had an infinite amount of issues. The combat. It's boring dialogue. Copy and paste dungeons. Lack of variety. Quantity over quality. Environments are repetitive. Disarm shouts making you lose your weapons permanently. Consistent freezing. Quests being impossible to complete due to glitches. Constant trips to sell/store items due to being overencumbered. Repeat voice actors. Won'tI have had an infinite amount of issues. The combat. It's boring dialogue. Copy and paste dungeons. Lack of variety. Quantity over quality. Environments are repetitive. Disarm shouts making you lose your weapons permanently. Consistent freezing. Quests being impossible to complete due to glitches. Constant trips to sell/store items due to being overencumbered. Repeat voice actors. Won't let me fast travel even if there isn't an enemy near me. Too much walking. Lockpicking breaks don't reset my pick to where it was when it broke. No reason to care about my character's role in the story. Dragons become repetitive too after you've fought 10 of them. All the mountains in my way ... WHY CANT I CLIMB?! Also, no distance meters to show me how far target locations are. ...some quests I can't do because I need a key from another quest I haven't gotten yet. All of these glitches and issues...

...all of these glitches and issues....

...yet I love the game. It is very easy to overlook the technical hiccups due to just how immersed you can become in this wonderfully crafted world. I think they just tried to put *too much* in, and in doing so were unable to fix every little glitch. This game looks great, can be played however you want to play it, and is a definitive RPG for the ages.
  85. Nov 14, 2011
    Simply an amazing game. Skyrim is clearly not for everybody. If you don't have a lot of time for games, this is not a great choice. This game takes time and patience to get good. If you're a gamer who is expecting fast and easy mindless fun, go play Call of Duty, because this game will not please you either. But if you're looking for a truly immersive game, full of choices and a huge openSimply an amazing game. Skyrim is clearly not for everybody. If you don't have a lot of time for games, this is not a great choice. This game takes time and patience to get good. If you're a gamer who is expecting fast and easy mindless fun, go play Call of Duty, because this game will not please you either. But if you're looking for a truly immersive game, full of choices and a huge open world for exploration you'll love this game. Expand
  86. Nov 14, 2011
    To say that this is a poorly crafted game is as ignorant a statement as one can make. Sure, there are some flaws, sure some aspects of it are slightly choppy. Juxtaposed to the size of the game, none of that matters. Everything is seamless. The hard work and effort put into designing a game this massive is awe inspiring. Get this game, it's going to change the way we perceive games for theTo say that this is a poorly crafted game is as ignorant a statement as one can make. Sure, there are some flaws, sure some aspects of it are slightly choppy. Juxtaposed to the size of the game, none of that matters. Everything is seamless. The hard work and effort put into designing a game this massive is awe inspiring. Get this game, it's going to change the way we perceive games for the future. It's a work of art. I will never be satisfied with anything lesser, and I don't see anything topping it anytime soon. Expand
  87. Mar 26, 2013
    The first few hours into Skyrim are the best few hours, after that you realize how bland the world is and how all the quests are the same. The story is feels non-existent and not explained, the guild quests all end in the same way, a lot of the skills are unnecessary. However my biggest problem with the game is that your character has no impact in the world even though your character isThe first few hours into Skyrim are the best few hours, after that you realize how bland the world is and how all the quests are the same. The story is feels non-existent and not explained, the guild quests all end in the same way, a lot of the skills are unnecessary. However my biggest problem with the game is that your character has no impact in the world even though your character is essentially a God. However it is easy to get immersed into the Relm of Skyrim with its 10/10 soundtrack, but you can easly get pulled out when you see some npc's and how there is 10 voice actors. If you don't mind having worse graphics and combat but a more detailed world, better towns/npc/skills/quests/challenge then I would recoment you play TES 3 Morrowind instead. I am intrested in what Bethesda does next and to see if is more casualised. Expand
  88. Dec 4, 2011
    Best game ever created.I know this sounds a bit bold but it's true.This game really is a thing of beauty , and I'm really looking forward to the next ES game, can't wait!
  89. Dec 6, 2011
    This game is awfully good. Bethesda has a great track record in general, but this time they really made something good. I agree that It's a contender for all sorts of game of the year awards, but it's not the perfect game that it's been made out to be. I wont even touch on what it does right (i.e., almost everything), but I have to point a few things out. The game is pretty glitchy,This game is awfully good. Bethesda has a great track record in general, but this time they really made something good. I agree that It's a contender for all sorts of game of the year awards, but it's not the perfect game that it's been made out to be. I wont even touch on what it does right (i.e., almost everything), but I have to point a few things out. The game is pretty glitchy, which quite a few critics have described as "endearing," but a glitch is a glitch. When I fast travel to a city I shouldn't see a dead wooly mammoth lying in the middle of a bustling marketplace. Next, the game is too big. Usually I would like that, but Skyrim has a learning curve that Fallout 3 or even Oblivion did not have. Side quests are thrown into your log a little too liberally. Players simply won't know where to begin. Finally, the improved leveling system creates too much temptation. It allows players the ability to switch their play style easily, which is fantastic and all, but it also affords the ability to stretch their skillpoints and perks out too far. Your character can become far too underpowered because you want your character to specialize in every skill, forcing no skill to become powerful enough to actual handling late-game challenges. I appreciate being able to make the game unfold how I want to, which is what these games are all about, but a tighter focus may have lowered the accidental difficulty some players (me) may be experiencing.
    Otherwise it's pretty great.
  90. Dec 12, 2011
    I haven't played the game yet but from what I have seen from previews and reviews it looks like it's a really fun game to play. I can't wait to play it myself. I haven't played the others yet either but I'm sure I will soon enough. For now I give this an 8.
  91. Mar 3, 2012
    This game offers a huge world with endless choice. The environment, the soundtrack and the depths of detail in the story are all to this game's credit. The gameplay, particularly the combat, is what lets this game down in my view; in terms of melee it is essentially hack n slash. For religious RPG fans this game will appeal but for the general gamer it may leave you feeling let down.
  92. Mar 13, 2012
    A revelation to those who have never played an RPG before, boasting impressive graphics, a lavish soundtrack and one of the most costly and cinematic advertising campaigns yet for a game of the genre, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim struggles to satisfy experienced players used to more in depth roleplaying games, especially those who have enjoyed the previous Elder Scrolls titles.

The

The positive aspects of the game are immediately obvious, beginning with the graphics. Technically the game is impressive, boasting much improved textures over previous games, particularly on water, as well as huge draw distances and lighting. On the flipside however, the artistic design is incredibly bland, the game presenting a sea of muddy greens and greys. This seems to be a symptom of the current game climate, with developers afraid to venture into colourful environments in hope of pleasing the cash cow that is the CoD audience, so used to dark and dingy palettes. The hollowness of the art style is most exposed in the 60% of identical villages and character models. When compared with previous games Skyrim is extraordinarily samey, Oblivion boasted startlingly different cities and Morrowind used the fantastical Dunmer architecture, at its most impressive in the city of Vivec (that happens to dwarf any attempt made by Skyrim), the fifth title rests on the simple log shack in the woods, copied and pasted repeatedly, bar a handful of exceptions.

It can be argued that when graphics are ignored, Skyrim presents one of the least believable worlds presented in a roleplaying game to date. Firstly, the games NPC's have extremely little to say, and all seem to say it in the same voice. The developers seemed to trade off the rich scripts of morrowind in exchange for a handful of words to be voice acted. As a downgrade from Oblivion, not even every NPC can be engaged with in dialogue, with the majority seemingly filling up the background to be killed by dragons at a random interlude. As a result, characters are not developed and dont hold any weight in the quests, the game lacks the Martin of Oblivion, a character to grow with and engage with. Similarly the towns and cities are very unfulfilling, with even the largest "metropolises" boasting four to six houses for NPCs to live in. This would be acceptable if Skyrim didnt completely rely on its quantity of content instead of its quality, but the game seemingly fails in both, boasting more quests and NPCs than previous games, when in fact it delivers less, as well as losing the sens eof a personal touch in its quality. True, the game features more rabbits and foxes than any other RPG, but the trade off is unacceptable.

The questlines in Skyrim are among the weakest in an RPG that I have ever encountered, with extremely short guilds in comparison the its predecessors, as well as a main quest that delivers graphically, but with very little sense of satisfaction to be had from completing, not to mention the frustration of random dragon encounters. The Dark Brotherhood in particular pales in comparison to that of Oblivion. The majority of the other quests are simply killing bandits in caves, and while the deadric artifact quests are strong, with so few in comparison to so much filler, it hardly seems worthwhile. The game offers very little in terms of unique items and it also offers less armor than other RPGs, and this all culminates to a game that rewards bland questing with very little, and thus delivers a very weak character progression system, ultimately unerming the "role playing" factor. The withdrawal of a class system adds to this effect, and exposes the game as the most broad and borderline of RPGs, I would in fact argue that Skyrim is more of an action adventure or hack and slash, and unfortunately this brings us on to the combat, which has never been strong in Elder Scrolls games, but is now not even propped up with satisfying levelling and unique weaponry, where forging iron daggers over and over again can afford you the best equipment. The repeated hacking at enemies with no illusion of contact breaks the immersion, and while archery picks up, the slow down perks make the skill so embaressingly easy that any scope for being anything less than perfect at it is lost. The equipment in question also contains less depth than in other games, where the option to customise is lessened by having simply one suit, instead of all of the constituent parts that where once open to enchanting and renaming accordingly. The game then is weak, and has traded depth for graphics and thinly spread mechanics such as cooking. I haven't mentioned the game-braking bugs and glitches, but rest assured they are there. Experienced roleplayers will see through this game for what it is, and leave it to the thousands of 13 year olds who are on a break from CoD and FIFA. Play Oblivion/Morrowind instead.
  93. Dec 14, 2011
    Something is seriously wrong with this game! I can't seem to reach any destination I'm suppose to get to! ZZZZZZ!! Major snooze fest too, boring, full of bugs and glitches!! No wonder they reduced the price of it after 4 weeks!!! Terrible game
  94. Dec 7, 2011
    A definite 'buy' If you want to amuse your friends with Dragons that fly spastically backwards, Weapon racks that fail to activate (oh hold on... that is Whiterun only... my Windhelm one activates and places the weapons 'through' the wall), Mannequins that have their assorted body parts that vanish when adding your armor for display, Book shelves that no longer activate to hold books andA definite 'buy' If you want to amuse your friends with Dragons that fly spastically backwards, Weapon racks that fail to activate (oh hold on... that is Whiterun only... my Windhelm one activates and places the weapons 'through' the wall), Mannequins that have their assorted body parts that vanish when adding your armor for display, Book shelves that no longer activate to hold books and of course my favorite... LAGGGGGGGGGGGG. Expand
  95. Nov 16, 2011
    It is what it is. I am writing this after my 5th or so game ending bug. Infinite load screens, broken quests, and ugly overlapping sound issues about. It's not a BAD game, but it IS too large, way too buggy, and overall FEELS like Fallout 3 with a coat of fantasy paint (not the nicest coat I might add). Overall I got swept up in the hype and had to have it. As I finish writing this, IIt is what it is. I am writing this after my 5th or so game ending bug. Infinite load screens, broken quests, and ugly overlapping sound issues about. It's not a BAD game, but it IS too large, way too buggy, and overall FEELS like Fallout 3 with a coat of fantasy paint (not the nicest coat I might add). Overall I got swept up in the hype and had to have it. As I finish writing this, I am going to pop Dark Souls back in and REALLY be transported to another world. I'm sure I will come back to Skyrim sometime, but right now, this is just SUB freaking PAR. Expand
  96. Nov 23, 2011
    It is a pretty good game withg an engaging storyline, with amazing graphics, but the system is still outdated, and very laggy and crashy, and it is still following the same simple fomat since oblivion, and in some parts there are a lot of glitches, crashes, and sowtware lags.
  97. Dec 8, 2011
    Skyrim is a great game brought down by bugs, great sound and great role play features brought down by a confusing and semi-difficult to use menu system where I end up either equipping an unintended item or accidentally closing the menu all together, and the infamous bugs, many quests are currently bugged and by Bethesda's own admission they will not even begin working on the majority ofSkyrim is a great game brought down by bugs, great sound and great role play features brought down by a confusing and semi-difficult to use menu system where I end up either equipping an unintended item or accidentally closing the menu all together, and the infamous bugs, many quests are currently bugged and by Bethesda's own admission they will not even begin working on the majority of them untill January if i'm not mistaken, also there is a texture problem for most xbox 360 users to where the game looks like it could have been made in 2006 which is quite frankly inexcusable considering I noticed this within the first 10 minutes of playing (This is why we beta test). Bethesda has not treated this game well considering it is there trademark series, they tried to update the game to fix the texture issues among other bugs instead however they did NOT fix the issues and broke resistances to everything which is a key mechanic, also they have not given any word as to when they will fix the texture issues which means it most likely will not get fixed in a long time by which I most likely will have put it on the shelf forgetting about it. Expand
  98. Mar 31, 2012
    To clarify, I do not actually thing Skyrim is a 0/10 game. I enjoyed it a lot, but i believe it in no way deserves high score it got, especially compared to other games on the top list, and that is why i'm giving it such a low score.
    The game is actually pretty enjoyable.Everything good that can be said about the game was already said, so i'm going to concentrate on the bad things.
    First,
    First, the game is repetitive. It was accused of being a 'single player MMO' and i agree with this judgement. There is a bajilion identical dungeons (90% of them consisting of one main tunnel, 1 or 2 dead ends and a 'secret passage' leading back to the entrance, that can be opened only after completing he dundeon. The last one is in every single cave in the game. Every. Single. solitary. One.) and most of the quests consist of "go there, kill everything, get back, so i can tap you on the shoulder". You will also see the same tower/altar/building with a broken roof/campfire reused and copy-pasted over and over again.
    Also, there are barely any memorable characters. Again, just like dungeons and buildings, most of the npc lines are reused for every blacksmith/mage/whatever. Even when you meet one interesting, kind-of-dickish merchant, and you thing "hey, i like this guy", you'll later travel to the other city, and find out dark ef living there has the same voice, and is telling the same lines. Cheap.
    Story...is very basic. And very boring. And doesn't affect the world around you in any way, other than comments from the guards. You can save the entire world, and then go to some lord or somebody, that you -just personally saved or helped- and he'll never recognize you, and then send you to give a letter to his assistant. Who then rewards you with a "Good upgrade to your equipment", obviously not seeing your full dragonbone plate, that every city guard talks about.
    If you are not slaughtering people for fun, there's no way to affect the world around you in any way. You are being told you did something, but you never see what it changed. Unlike, for example, bioware RPG's, where you can actually experience how yor actions affect other people's lives, here...Well, you just kill the most powerful man in Skyrim, yet all his people are still running around, war camps are still set, and every quest given to you by his followers is still active. There's of course a lot of good stuff to the game, but -there's over 1000 good reviews here. They already praised every single dragonscale pixel of this game.
  99. Jun 10, 2012
    If I were to define Skyrim in only four words, that is about what you could expect from me. For as interesting a world Skyrim is to look at, the developers seemed fine filling it with repetitious, "uninspired" quests, given to you by countless amounts of npcs', none of which in possession of what I would call an actual personality.
  100. Nov 25, 2011
    I hate it when they give perfect score without even finishing i mean it has many bugs, boring battle scene, boring gameplay attack, boring story, it only has huge world but always the same they took 5 years to make it but still it has many bugs.
  101. Jan 19, 2012
    The Elder Scrolls v: skyrim is the best ever RPG i have played. The Elder Scrolls IV: oblivion was amazing but they have improved it with skyrim i like how they add werewolves and the daedric armour have been improved but I think the best part of the game is the Dragons and the Dragon shouts. You can create your own character the argonian can breathe under water, 50% Resist to Disease soThe Elder Scrolls v: skyrim is the best ever RPG i have played. The Elder Scrolls IV: oblivion was amazing but they have improved it with skyrim i like how they add werewolves and the daedric armour have been improved but I think the best part of the game is the Dragons and the Dragon shouts. You can create your own character the argonian can breathe under water, 50% Resist to Disease so you cannot turn into a vampire and Dark Elves Resist Fire 50%, Wood Elves have a 50% Resist to Poison and Disease and the Khajiit a Claw Attacks and the Power of Night Eye which means you can see in the dark. To become a vampire whenever a vampire casts Vampiric Drain on you, there is a 10% chance for you to be infected. The best thing to level up is your black Smiting then you will be able to make the daedric armour and the heavy dragon armour and the low dragon armour. I found the best way to earn money is the dark brother hood. To join the dark brother hood you have to complete a quest Innocence Lost. Speaking to Innkeepers and later on you will get a horse that is completely black with red eyes I think the best weapons in the game is the dual daedric swords and the daedric bow. The game includes a lot of guilds which are called the dark brotherhood the thiefâ Collapse

1. Feb 6, 2012
    This epic role-playing game might be Bethesda's best game yet, and offers an unique and spectacular world filled with fun. The freedom ensures a great experience for both the casual and hardcore gamer, as you're free to play the game how you like.
  2. Dec 16, 2011
    Skyrim is the largest, and most compelling work that I've had the opportunity to play this year. It's engaging, engrossing, and will take over your gaming life for many months to come. Not only is Skyrim among the best that 2011 has to offer, but for me, this is, without hesitation, the Game of the Year.
  3. Dec 16, 2011