8.4

1. Nov 5, 2012
    Simply put, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has raised the bar in the RPG genre, offering a plethora of engaging and unique content in one of the most immersive and beautiful game worlds ever created. Plus, any game that uses the word
  2. Dec 15, 2011
    Patch arrived and my issues are fixed. As promised, an updated review. Skyrim is just huge you can spend countless hour walking around and finding things to do virtually everywhere you go. The simplified systems make character creation fast and not nearly so easy to mess up. Visuals are stunning at every turn. The lack of acrobatics/athletic skill takes any reward from walking from place to place, but not everything is instantly lit up on the map either so you get in some good foot time and that's good for the immersion. Combat is refined and magic is now fixed. You even get your fallout combat moments every now and then, albeit they are less gory and explody but still epic. The thing that keeps this from a 10 (Perfect) is a coop. Because even with all that they add. There is always that thought in the back of your head of how many more times amazing it would be if you could blast a real player with magic or share with them your equipment. Expand
  3. Nov 17, 2011
    What to say about a game,is this really a game,is it fiction,is it reality?Is it a dream,let me tell you without trying so hard not to go over the top.Perfection.Will you put this game in your console 10 years from now?Without a doubt I would put this game in my console for 20+ years if the good lord lets me.This game is deserving of a perfect 10 out of any other games I have ever played and I have played them all from donkey Kong on the Atari,when I was a kid waiting in line,to playing Dragon's Lair at the arcade to Halo, to this,ect...This is a gamer's dream come true and truth be said my favorite game, up to the point, was Mass effect 2 and I thought I would be at least saying that for the next decade.There are game companies with so much talent and innovation and there getting better and better but no one can touch Bethesda with a mile long stick.Not even the much loved Bioware,EA and Rockstar.Play this,live this, enjoy this, an epic masterpiece has entered the horizon my fellow ladies and gentlemen.We are not perfect as people,the world is not perfect but this really is. Expand
  4. Mar 12, 2012
    This is without a doubt the best game released in 2011.

A wonderfully immersive RPG experience; the likes of which have become increasingly rare in the generic, cookie-cutter gaming industry.
  5. Dec 22, 2011
    Skyrim is an amazing, jaw-droppingly vast RPG, with spells, swords, axes, quests and monsters galore. It isn't perfect (but what is?) thanks to repeated phrases and voice actors. And like all Bethesda game, it's got a crap-ton of glitches. BUT, Skyrim is very, very big, and it's only matched by it's quality. A trip down a forest with a talking dog. A quest reminiscent of The Hangover. Epic Dark Brotherhood questlines. Skyrim packs a lifetime of content into one game-giving astonishing value for money. The Xbox 360 game of the year. Expand
  6. Nov 11, 2011
    A beautiful and mystifying game. A true step forward in the series, and a mark of excellence. Small inconsistencies will be fixed with patches soon, but none are game breaking. Unimaginative sequels take note! (MW3) this is how you make a sequel. There are honestly too many high points about this game to list, so just go play it! Special thanks to Chopper79 for completely missing the point, enjoy playing MW3 with the rest of the sheep. Expand
  7. Nov 16, 2011
    This game is the best and it rocks. It's the least buggiest game to come out at this time. With BF3 being buggy and populated by non existent team work and no voice users, then the appalling user score of COD this is the game for you. The dragon fighting mechanics is awesome. Give it a go. It has such an awesome score for a reason.
  8. Nov 13, 2011
    The game is absolutely mind blowing from the scenary , to the sound , to the graphics. The game is packed with overwhelming content that would take your life away. I see there are 48 minority trolls who are votingdown the game they are nobodies.
  9. Nov 11, 2011
    It's rare that a game comes along to not only improve on previous games of its kind but exceeds them. Skyrim improves in nearly all areas from oblivion from graphics to Talking to the characters and their interaction. The menu system and the leveling up system is also improved. But the most amazing thing IMO is EVERY object you collect from food to weapons can be looked at in high detail in a 3d area. People giving this game a 0 are either brain dead or work for competing game companies Expand
  10. Oct 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A magnificent hive of creativity and technical clout, and holds a world so open it frequently threatens to overwhelm. Skyrim is forever charming and consistently engaging, and will carve a completely different adventure for every player put under its dazzling spell. Expand
  11. Aug 4, 2012
    With each new chapter in the Elder Scrolls, it has become increasingly polished at the expense of being watered down.

TES V is a polished RPG for the masses. Easy to get in to, yet rather un-rewarding to demanding gamers.
    There is no choice and consequence outside of picking a side in the civil war or becoming/not becoming a vampire and/or werewolf.
    The story is passable, but much of
    the content is based on "radiant" or randomly generated content vs monster type to get item from location. While it is a great way to generate nearly endless content, random will always be a less great option than specific structure and purpose.
    Many bugs exist in the game. You will lose followers, scripted quest events will bug, however, in a game of this scope ... bugs are just few enough to not be a major pain.
    Magic is terribly underpowered (that or melee is imba) ... the synergy that exists between smithing, enchanting and alchemy is game-breaking (your player will become a god, even on master).
    Combat is sloppy ... if you have allies, summoned pets, followers etc ... it is nearly impossible to actively contribute to a fight and not inflict friendly fire damage regardless if you are playing a warrior, mage, thief or hybrid.
    Most quest items have a weight and cannot be dropped (adding to the frustration of what to loot).
    Graphics look nice, especially the world at large and weather events. The ragdoll physics are a bit over the top. Animations are average ... I always thought this was not Bethesda's strong suit, but they have improved slightly. Music is the biggest plus for me in this game. I do like the perk/skill system although I find it to be another aspect of imbalance. That's about all I have ...

Decent game, wildly popular because it looks nice, caters to the masses, some frustrating bugs (that remain in version 1.7), virtually no choice and consequences for the user, excellent game sound track.

This review was based on 400 hours I spent with it. While I did finish both sides of the Dawnguard expansion, I have never had the desire to finish the main story. I have several level 40 characters.

THANKS for reading!
  12. Feb 14, 2012
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a magical, overwhelmingly beautiful and engaging gaming experience with some beautiful graphics and a masterpiece soundtrack, let down by some frustrating glitches and bugs. A player can easily put 40+hours into exploration of the world without making much progress in the true 'story' which relates to the return of dragons to the province of Skyrim. There are numerous caves, bandit camps, towns and holds (the larger towns) to visit with an exhaustive array of quests to complete and plentiful loot to collect along the way. The levelling system is very well executed and encourages a player to concentrate on one part at a time - ie levelling up conjuration or heavy armour or smithing. Although I have yet to complete the story, I have travelled to every corner of Skyrim (and beyond...) and feel it is time to review. Whilst it will find a place in my heart to be one of my top 5 favourite games ever, there are some minor issues with bugs and glitches, although hopefully with time these will be ironed out. It should be noted that I had never played an Elder Scrolls game before Skyrim, but that didn't prevent me thoroughly enjoying almost every minute of it. Expand
  13. Dec 15, 2011
    if you play just one game this year this is THE GAME you should choose.it's not only epic in scale it's also the game that just keeps giving and giving.from the graphics to the characters the story and everything else this game does its pure class,I'd defiantly recommend it to all gamers.even if your not into role playing games you will be after playing this one.go on you owe it to yourself !
  14. Nov 23, 2011
    Fun, addictive, basically electronic crack. Get some Depends so you don't have to get up to go to the bathroom. Careful you don't get couch sores; remember to flip every few hours.
  15. Nov 22, 2011
    I had never played Oblivion like most of my friends, however Skyrim is by far the most incredibly addicting and phenomenal game that i've ever been encouraged to try. It reminds me of the good ol Runescape days except the action is there and a brilliant level up system that gives endless customization. Not to mention the seemingly endless adventures and treasures around every corner. GAME OF THE YEAR HANDS DOWN Expand
  16. Nov 11, 2011
    A masterpiece of a game that can be related to a rare object in history, but in entertainment form. Games like this are rare. Not only have they improved upon nearly all aspects of Oblivion, but they have added a new sense of individuality, depth, and quality of the world. It may be smaller than Cyrodiil, but make no mistake, Skyrim is much larger. The character creation is fantastic, and to give away no spoilers, can really take up quite a lot of your time as you delve into it's in depth features. The graphics are some of the best I've seen, and being on a console, it looks fantastic. The story already seems to be more realistic than Oblivion's (in terms of progression.) Look no further, this is the game of the year. No. It's the game of the century. Expand
  17. Nov 15, 2011
    Sometimes starry eyed optimism is necessary to become immersed in an RPG, but not with Skyrim. With this game you are rewarded with a rich story for the spontaneous decisions you make and winding paths you tread towards your destination. "Oblivion expansion pack" accusations are tiring, as much has been improved here beyond a graphical overhaul.

NPC interaction is much less of a chore.
    While I got a sense of satisfaction playing the speechcraft mini game in Oblivion to obtain better prices or information, its necessity caused it to be a time sink - I don't miss it.

Interface is pleasingly minimal compared to Oblivion. Main quests are separated from a "Miscellaneous" category which allows my sanity to stay in tact as I accumulate a pile of them in the first town of Whiterun. Beyond that, every button (aside from the joysticks) can be remapped as you please. Such a simple freedom, but sometimes makes all the difference. The "Favorite" button follows the form of the interface being an easy way to quickly swap frequently used items.

One gripe I do have is that poisons still seem too awkward to use regularly. I'd really like to see a "poison queue" option so I could select concoctions to be automatically applied to whatever equipped weapon I was using at the time until the entire queue ran dry. And perhaps even a little indicator to show when a new one had been auto-applied. Another problem I have is the inability to go beyond the "follow" and "wait" commands for companions. I would really like Passive/Aggressive/Defensive stances so that I don't have to do as much micromanagement.

Now Skyrim is very much like Oblivion in many ways, but I think it's unfair to use this as leverage against it. I enjoyed Oblivion thoroughly even though I hardly made it halfway through the main quest line. For the same reason, I have thoroughly enjoyed Skyrim so far as the immersion has been deeper for me. Ultimately, an RPG does require some effort on the player's part to become part of the story - to be invested in their character. This isn't a shooting gallery type of game where you're a track expecting to be entertained by cinematic pomp and circumstance that would make Michael Bay blush. It's a role-playing game that does a fantastic job of urging you to be invested in your own story through its setting in a vibrant world and organic leveling system allowing you to choose your path as you progress rather than as a weighted decision at character creation. In short, suspend cynicism and enjoy this game with the patience you would give to a good book - it deserves it.
  18. Dec 15, 2011
    Goddamn, this game is so awesome. This is my last game on my list for this year that I wanted to play and I am having an absolute blast playing this game. I was skeptical at first because Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion was a complete bore to me and I never got in to it even though I tried to. Skyrim, to me, is a complete revelation. Lush open world presentation, absolutely epic music, accessible but complex menu system , deep RPG gameplay and absolutely endless replay value. Though even with the awesome features that has been improved from Oblivion, Skyrim still has bugs and glitches that other Bethesda games suffer from but that isn't enough to ruin the experience that completely immerses you into this new world of epicness. From the first time I put the disc in to my 360, I was hooked straight away. This is one the best games I have ever played this year and I suggest buying it RIGHT NOW Expand
  19. Dec 7, 2011
    Skyrim rocks. If you want a single-player 'team' game, where the storyline is tighter and supporting cast are memorable and develop over time, this will be less fulfilling than the Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or Grand Theft Auto sandpit-type rpg's. But if you want the ultimate in lone-wolf hero RPG freedom, like to explore and/or craft, or just want a ridiculous variety of gameplay options for the price of one, this is it. The storyline is more coherent to the casually-interested than the last few games, but the best memories you'll get from this iteration are still the ones that emerge almost randomly and unexpectedly, when you take a detour from a detour and just let the world take you wherever it's going to take you. Expand
  20. Feb 9, 2012
    This game was made with obvious passion. I've never had so much fun sneaking and poking about a world. I don't think it would be possible to make the game better with the current technology.
  21. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim is an amazing game building on what Bethesda achieved with Fallout 3 and Oblivion to create a superb RPG with a good story so far anyway gizzilions of side quests and great graphics there are a few bugs but they don't damage the experience and will hopefully get patched if you are an RPG fan you need to get this game!!!!
  22. Mar 18, 2012
    Skyrim was a game I couldn't wait to own. A departure from my staple diet of COD which has left me seeking a new experience & this certainly achieves that. I liked the freedom given to the gamer in Red Dead Redemption which was pure escapism and this does that even more so. Think World of Warcraft for grown ups!
    Skyrim is a beautifully crafted & textured game on so many levels. The
    intricacy & detail is nothing short of stunning. Little wonder you can immerse yourself for hours in its gorgeous world. From meadows with butterflies to snowy, blizzardy wastes. From castle to vampire's lair. Fabulous changing light & weather all add to the atmospherics here. A rich spectrum of creatures that will happily rip you limb from limb and a powerful array of weaponry & magic to learn & deploy at every opportunity.
    One of the strengths of the game is that it is very lateral & not so linear. Anywhere you can see, you can go. You are not tied to missions, you can roam freely (often at your peril) and it is this kind of exploration that keeps the game fresh and fascinating.
    I cannot really think of anything to criticise about Skyrim and you are guaranteed to have a blast. Ps. - the dragons are spectacular and at times appear out of nowhere to scare the hell out of you.
    Best played at night in the dark!
  23. Dec 4, 2012
    It's a game that you will absolutely lose the time on. I played it for about 8 hours and only felt like 1. It's goddamn great. Graphics, voice acting, story. It's got it all
  24. Dec 28, 2011
    Having never played an Elder Scrolls game outside of a demo back when the 360 was released, I had only the reputation and high remarks for the game to set any kind of expectation. After around 50 hours invested into Skyrim, and having done only 7 of the main store quests at the moment, I can safely say Skyrim is the game of the year for me. Other titles were good this year, but for a single-player experience, Skyrim really knocks all the others out of the park when it comes to quality. Even with several noticeable bugs scattered throughout the game, it still supremely impresses over and over again. It may not be for everyone, but if you enjoy action/adventure games and are looking to get lost in a big world full of customization and plenty of bunny trails to divert from the main objective: Skyrim is more than worth a look. Expand
  25. Nov 17, 2011
    this game is an absolute masterpiece, the most complete game ive ever played. It engrosses you at every level and constantly leaves you breathless. Its not perfect in terms of bugs and glitches, but to be honest, playing on the 360, they dont hinder the experience nearly at all. Ive noticed a lot of complaints that clearly have to do with the PC version on 360 user reviews, please be careful, because skyrim has been flawless on my 360 and it doesnt deserve to get its score dragged down by people playing on a different system Expand
  26. Nov 26, 2011
    How can some of the negative reviews say the graphics are barely better than Oblivion? This game has the best graphics of the year. The bugs aren't nearly as bad as other people are saying, and the combat has been much improved. Their are actually stats in your skills, and I really don't mind the loss of classes and attributes. It actually makes it more like an RPG, since the Role(R) you're playing (P) in the game (G) completely shapes the way your character progresses. There are lots of weapons and quests, dungeons are incredibly varied and unique. Dragons are a blast to fight, and so are most of the other enemies. 10/10 for sure, one of the greatest games ever made, EVER. Expand
  27. Nov 23, 2011
    One of the best single player games I have ever played. I wasn't expecting much and was blown away. My only disappointment is that it will sometime end.
  28. Feb 8, 2014
    If you're a novice, this game will be too big and too punishing. It doesn't hold your hand. But if you know what you're doing, it's a joy. Beautiful game.
  29. Nov 28, 2012
    Currently on my 2nd play thru and have downloaded the add ons. With Dragonborn Expansion this is the best time to go thru the game again. By far the best RPG to date.
  30. Sep 20, 2012
    The best Bethesda game I've ever played. I even ended up completing the main storyline and being how I didn't get far into Oblivion and Fallout 3 before I called it quits that's quite the compliment. The "immersion" of these games isn't quite there yet, but there is improvement little by little as each one of these games gets released. Skyrim was still way too repetitive. The greatest aspect of this game was the soundtrack. Beautiful stuff. Expand
  31. Nov 20, 2011
    Skyrim is a real work of art. I've poured more than 20 hours into it and have barely scratched the surface. Anybody who says that Oblivion is better is just stuck in a nostalgic land. Skyrim offers an RPG experience like no other. Be who you want to be. That's exactly how Bethesda wants you to play it; and play it like that you will, because Bethesda perfected the Western RPG genre with this chapter in the Elder Scrolls Saga. Dragons, Draugr and Daedra. What more do I have to say? Expand
  32. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is just excellence on all levels, from the gameplay to the soundtrack, i just love it! The story is brilliant and so are the many adventures that await you!
  33. Dec 8, 2011
    took me a while to get it, but I can now say that despite the weird game mechanics, and many strange flaws in this game, this is probably the best game ever made. If you are like I was, and you think its really boring and pointless, just keep playing it. Eventually the world of Skyrim will open up to you, and video gaming will never be the same.
  34. Nov 15, 2011
    This game is the most amazing game I have ever played. Ever. There is such an overwhelming amount of content in this one disc, an amount that has yet to be duplicated on a game with four discs! The landscape is insanely diverse and beautiful. Girlfriend, say goodbye ;)
  35. Nov 22, 2011
    It's worth every penny thst you should spend on it and every hour youu should put it into beating the game. There are no words in existence to describe how much fun Skyrim is so; orgasmazing.
  36. Nov 16, 2011
    A significant improvement over Oblivion's non-responsive melee combat and the "stroke victim" expressions on all of the characters. The wild world is a treat to wander about--stepping off of the main road and poking around in hidden glades and snowy crags and the unexpected surprises that come with off-roading it. Character advancement is engrossing and always filled with tough choices regarding which talents to bump up - so much so that it begs for multiple plays with totally different character builds. A few bugs and glitches are evident and the game occasionally "cheats" (such as making some NPCs unkillable no matter how well you beat them down) but I can overlook that stuff in such a vast, densely packed game. Expand
  37. Dec 6, 2011
    This game is loads of fun and there is a ton to do. That being said, after a few days of non-stop addiction this game grows very stale. Searching dead bodies, unlocking chest and selling goods starts to get real old. The combat interface is simply put "Awful." When you go to use your power move, there is no adjusting your aim. So you just will randomly swing hardcore at the air. Who would do that? Also, the glitches are funny when you first start playing, but they start to get very annoying after a couple day. If you need some comparison, it is Oblivion with dragons. Nothing else. 6/10. Expand
  38. Nov 24, 2011
    Bethesda deserves all the lavish praise that is and will continue to be laid on their new masterwork, skyrim. The improved graphics combined with one of the most meticulously and beautifully created worlds ever comitted to video game form help to further hammer home the feeling that you are choosing you're destiny, and skyrim is you're canvas. The sheer amount of content is indeed staggering and even overwhelming at times. As you explore, random conversations will bring a healthy list of quest ensuring that you always feel as though you are shaping you're own experience. Whether you choose to progress the main story, hunt for bears, clear out caves full of witches, join a guild, or engage a frost dragon head on, Skyrim never let's up, and you will always feel as though you're actions are shaping a much bigger overall picture. Player choice is integral to the immersion, and Bethesda has nailed it here with aplomb. I need to go have thanksgiving but I needed to write this because people need to realize how lucky we are to have such talented developers like Bethesda to deliver one of the best experiences this generation. Expand
  39. Nov 24, 2011
    Skyrim is a great game, but suffers from glaring flaws. Ai is not the greatest and the game is full of glitches and bugs. The majority of these bugs are more humorous than problematic, but a few are going to cost you a lot of play of time and they occur more than anyone would like. Another issue is the lack of a strong central story. I sunk hours into this game and nothing about the "main" quest really made me think that it was of more importance than the numerous large side quests available. The gameplay is great and the graphics are gorgeous for an rpg of this size, but a weak story and numerous bugs dull the experience. Expand
  40. Nov 24, 2011
    Oblivion was the best game I've played and now Skyrim has taken over that title. I'm an RPG fan and the game offers an unparalled level of depth and immersion. The province of Skyrim is a beautiful place, with tumbling waterfalls and snow capped mountins. At one point I felt a lump in my throat as I stood looking out at a particularly awe inspiring view. Quests can be picked up from 80 percent of NPCs - even random nobodies. I don't want to rant on about why this game's so great as I'll be here all day - just go out and buy it. You'll be playing it a few years from now, especially as there's bound to be loads od DLC. Expand
  41. Nov 14, 2011
    Simply an amazing game. Skyrim is clearly not for everybody. If you don't have a lot of time for games, this is not a great choice. This game takes time and patience to get good. If you're a gamer who is expecting fast and easy mindless fun, go play Call of Duty, because this game will not please you either. But if you're looking for a truly immersive game, full of choices and a huge open world for exploration you'll love this game. Expand
  42. Nov 15, 2011
    I hated Morrowind and never got around to playing Oblivion so this game has been a revelation.

It is simply magnificent. It would be easier to to list my few minor gripes: clunky and immersion-breaking console interface ported to the PC, Dragons seem a bit weak and there's a few CTD/minimizer bugs on the PC.

99% of the time I am just marvelling at the brilliance of this game and
    struggling to stop myself playing through the night. Expand
  43. Mar 9, 2012
    I'm writing this review pretty late and you have probably made up your mind about the game so I will just share a spoiler free experience with you that convinced me that this game was well worth the money and definitly with my time.

I'm a level 3 Nord and about 3 quests into the game when this happens.

I walk into a village and a strange shadow passes over me. I look around and up
    into the sky to see nothing. Then the village police draw there bows for no apparent reason. They run behind one of the houses and then you hear it. The dragon roars, and then it gets epic.
    I switch from my sword to my bow and sprint around the house to get my first glimpse of a dragon just toasting these villagers with his breath and I put two arrows in him. He then shoots up into the sky and circles around me.
    The villagers are in a panic and I find myself a soldier among soldiers protecting a town I'm only just discovering from a truly awe inspiring danger. Two minutes and 10 well placed arrows later the dragon plunges to the ground with a crash of dirt and rock and deteriorates in front of my eyes. And I feel like I could conquer the world.
    This wasn't scripted either. These things happen randomly and the number of dragons in the world is infinite.
    It will suck your life away as any Elder Scrolls game worth it's name will but the difference between Oblivion and this is huge. This is one of the best games I have ever played on the Xbox 360 and maybe ever. Check it out if you have the time.
  44. Nov 13, 2011
    Its good, but its not as good as Oblivion or Fallout 3. There is a sense of streamlining (aka dumbing down) that is a bit disappointing after playing Beth's older games. No item degradation, uninspired clunky menus, inclusion of health regen makes healing items less useful etc. The FPV combat is better but its not as visceral and strategic as that seen in Dead Island, also with still not many weapon types to choose from it can get a bit repetitive. The removal of stats and some skills makes the game feel much less like an RPG than it used to. Kinda feels like what BioWare have done to their RPG's, in that they turned them into dumb action games for the masses. Much of the nuance is missing which means the game is less fulfilling to gamers who grew up playing these games. The game is good though, and it looks a lot prettier than Oblivion. The archery is a lot better, and the TP anims look great. The new setting and dragons are really cool. But overall its a bit less awesome than previous Beth games imo. Expand
  45. Nov 19, 2011
    Been playing for several days, about 10 hours in. For a first few hours everything seemed to be good, but then eventually I started to get really bored. I feel that Skyrim lacks the kind of magic that was in Oblivion for example. Also, while all the critics universally praised music in Skyrim, I think that Oblivion had much better and more beautiful music. Skyrim sounds doesn't evoke emotions in me as Oblivion did.

And the main complaint I have is that the game has too little differences and improvements from Oblivion, I honestly expected much more. It's almost like MW2 and MW3. Yes, the map is new, but all other things are pretty much the same. Gameplay got Old, imo, staying the same as 5 years ago.

Quests are mostly boring: go there, bring that, talk to him, kill dragon, learn the word, repeat x 100. When I look back on other Bethesda games, I come to conclusion that Fallout 3 is the best game they made. Skyrim gets 7 from me.
  46. Nov 11, 2011
    I have had this game for a week now, and I have literally had a hard time sleeping because I am so excited to continue playing it. It is the best game I have played to date, hands down... it is the best. Even with the glitches, it does not matter... Other games do not compare... but it isn't like they ever had a chance anyways. I laugh at anyone giving this game a negative score, if you cannot see the value in this game, then you are not much of a gamer after all Expand
  47. Nov 15, 2011
    I am 43 years old and have been playing games since Pong. The first RPG I ever played was The Bard's Tale for the Commodore 64. This game had me playing for hours on end, and at times realizing that the sun was coming up since I played all night. This game was a joy to play, and I have been looking for that same feeling in a game ever since.
    Skyrim has fulfilled that feeling.
    I get
    chills when I am trying to sneak past a ghosts in a dungeon. Discovering a new area feels exciting. Opening a chest usually yields something useful or valuable.
    I feel like I am working toward making Skyrim a better place, even when I am not on the main storyline. Anything can happen at any time and usually does.
    I have heard that there are some glitches, and I have had some short pauses from time to time, but this is due to my equipment, not the game.
    Don't tell Bethesda, but they could make more by making half of this game DLC and they could still get 60 bucks for this game. Luckily RPG fans demand more that the average 12yr old playing MW3 where they can get away with cloning a previous release.
    Keep it up Bethesda! Great job.
  48. Jan 13, 2013
    if you dont own it get it. just so nice to wander around in and most of what you can see you can get to and explore. load times when opening a door or quick travel can be long but all is forgiven for just such a great game
  49. Nov 20, 2011
    I feel sorry for those who somehow manage not to enjoy this game. Maybe Zelda on the wii is more your speed? It's good that we have a choice, don't you think?
  50. Jan 21, 2012
    The hours of gameplay left me dissapointed really. I cant see how can someone be entertained by doing the same routine over and over and over again. Everything is repetetive in this game, and it gets repetetive so quickly. The most fun I had was in the first 3-5 hours when I created my character, explored the map a little and made few quests.
  51. EJA
    Jul 29, 2013
    I wanna give this a 9 or a 10 but the loading times get RIDICULOUS after playing for a while. I mean they just get longer and longer. And this game has tons of places where it needs to load so there might be 100 plus hours of gameplay but you will spend 100 plus hours in loading screens.

What a shame because the scope of the game is huge. It is a tad shallow in terms of character
    development but exploration is the name of the game here. The visuals vary, the dungeons are individually unique, and the terrain is grandiose.

It's in the same vein as Oblivion and Morrowind so if you like those you will love this. Morrowind is still the best but this is way better than Oblivion.
  52. Nov 15, 2011
    I honestly don't see how this game is getting so many 10/10 ratings. Yes its got amazing depth of exploration and I am enjoying playing it. But at the same time I spend most of my time frustrated with the interface and extremely poor mechanics. You have to weather far too much poor implementation than a modern AAA quality game should provide you.
    Great game for its RPG content, extremely
    poor implementation, physics, combat mechanics, voice overs, sound, the list goes on. If you enjoy RPGs like I do it is probably worth the purchase, but its really hard to see how everyone is so blind to the problems. Expand
  53. Nov 11, 2011
    An honest 9 for what it deserves, yes it could Easley be more however, a few graphical issues. Not problems or anything to disrupt your playing experience but I have to say why it doesn't get my "10" score, this is one that I don't feel is "perfect" but very good. Anyway the story I was instantly taken by, and a game to grab your attention like that IS what a game is alllll about! Yes graphics add to it, but like a film it doesn't matter if it's avatar pretty it all comes down to the story. And also why I mention the story it is a lot better then oblivion! Oblivion i was always 50/50 with. Skyrim has no bugs from what I have seen, and tbh if someone experiences one it's going to be something stupid which on a game of this scale is NOT a problem. Lifespan...all matters on your imagination. And while I have scored this high, I can honestly say that an RPG of this size that gets scores of a zero are nothing but trolls! It's like someone watching one episode of lost and reviewing the whole series, it's just stupid not funny and created by morons who have nothing better to do! If you liked oblivion then this IS for you even if you didn't like I said I wasn't too sure about, it could STILL be for you. Great job Bethesda honestly. And talking about trolls and scores what is it with the real critics on metacritic now, there is always a ton of 100 scores on any page.... 10= fan ;) 0= troll O.o you know it but don't wanna show it!! Expand
  54. Jan 5, 2012
    I love this game! A truly massive world that I cannot find in any other game. Its like an MMO except there aren't tens of thousands of mages and warriors running around. Its also a more rewarding experience than an MMO because the story revolves around you. Faces look a little weird. Some NPCs do strange things and combat can feel less intimate than other games. Otherwise I would give this game a straight up 10/10 Expand
  55. Nov 21, 2011
    No other company EVER goes into this much detail and depth for content, that frankly, most players will never even see. I work in software and games and at every company I've worked at we always try to put the most stuff in front of the user so they experience it. It's like a 5-year-old child doing something and pestering his parents for attention. Bethesda, however, is more than content to put countless hours of attention and blood, sweat, and tears into the little things, the minutiae, the details that no one else cares about. All that stuff that we say "it's not worth it, only 1% of players will see this" they go after, and I have the utmost respect for them because of it.

To be frank, this game is more of the same for anyone who has played Morrowind or Oblivion, just larger in scale. But what a game it is; the technology has finally caught up to Bethesda's vision. The mountain peaks are covered in mists, the land, the creatures, everything feels so real.

Are there a lot of bugs? yes. My friend randomly had a dragon carcass fall out of the sky on his quest NPC, I myself have had plenty of issues of teleporting enemies and arrows hitting invisible walls etc. But honestly, when you do as much as this game does, it's easy to forgive things like this. They have just done so much and so much well that it seems like nitpicking to harp on things that would be core gameplay bugs in any other game.

In my opinion, the RPG to beat this year was The Witcher 2, but Skyrim has edged it out. The Witcher 2 is an amazing game, especially for long-time Witcher fans like myself, but Skyrim has just humbled me. Sometimes when you see something great, you just have your mouth open, jaw slack, saying 'wow.' But when you play Skyrim, you are speechless. I was STUNNED by the level of detail and care woven into this game. Every single thing in this game, from each individual blade of grass, to the majestic dragons is a testament to the love that each Bethesda employee put into this game.

In a genre where everyone is trying to rehash MMOs and the psychological gaming mechanics that WoW made so popular, it's always refreshing to see a purist.
  56. Nov 28, 2011
    An amazing game in scale and fun. To each their own but I can't even comprehend people who badmouth this game. Skyrim is so rich with great design and moments, that is shines far brighter then any other game that has come out this year. Those with poor reviews obviously did not actually play the game. If they would have they would have come to see how deep and enjoyable this game is truly. Of course this kind of game is not for everyone, but if you like RPG's there is no denying that Skyrim is quite possibly the greatest RPG game ever made....so far! Expand
  57. Apr 19, 2012
    Skyrim: straight to the point it is a good game, you can spend a lot of time just exploring and filling in minor and unrelated quests. However after a 200+ hours it can get a little repetitive and lose its lustre even if you have played a couple of different characters and taken different paths.

That said it is a solid game that is easy to get into and enjoy, while your character does not
    have a true overall impact on the game world outcomes apart from the main quests there are moments which make you smile. There are some detractions but this is to be expected with a game of this size, glitches are many and annoying at times. The game engine has notable memory lag/leak problems if you enable all auto saves and have too many save files (which can grow to enormous sizes). Load times are just plain embarrassing and get worse as you progress. The so called witty humour deployed by developers at every turn may not seem apparent and will fly over heads of those who have not played the previous elder scrolls games â Expand
  58. Nov 13, 2011
    Definite Game Of The Year in my eyes. Everything that is to be expected from an Elder Scrolls game. Plenty of quests and a decent level cap will have me playing this game for hundreds of hours.
  59. Nov 22, 2011
    The graphics are like the beard of Chuck Norris, The story is like the story of Chuck Norris' third fist inside his beard, and the game play is viscous enough to round-house kick you to Pluto and back.
  60. Nov 28, 2011
    The reason this gets 1 point is that at least it looks decent. The muddy color palette does have its moments, even though it looks awful the majority of the time. The character creation is also very awful looking, it takes playing around with it for an hour or more to get something that looks good. One you get into the world, it is a impressive game. The cities are fun to walk around in the environment is fun to explore. However, the dreadful winter landscapes soon lose their appeal. The dungeons, which at first seem to offer chances and opportunities for exploration soon lose their luster as you realize you have one path to make, and that is it. The game loses all of its points however when it comes to three things. The controls on the PC are archaic. The controls were obviously made for a console, not updating to take advantage of the mouse is just lazy. So many frustrating things stem from this basic UI mistake. Like the fact that you cannot pick up items and place them where you want. You can only blunder into them like some oaf. The second major mistake is the companion system. They suck. The AI controlling them is retarded. The followers and companions are best left out of the game. This is frustrating because as a magic using class I wanted and needed a meat shield.

Everything to this point can be forgiven. However, they make one mistake that once uncovered, caused the game to fly off my hard drive. They give this illusion to being able to choose the path you want, to be able to explore. However, tying the main plot to the thievesâ
  61. Nov 18, 2011
    Quite possibly the greatest game ever made. This isn't goty, this could be game of the freaking decade. I found myself completely immersed in a totally beautiful world with alnost not limits. The skill system is much improved, as you're no longer limited to a single class and simply get skill gains by putting them into practice, which is pretty awesome, not to mention using a spell while smashing someone in the face with an axe is pretty damn satisfying. Next up is the story, which is cool, but you can put it on permanent hold if you wish as there are more or less and infinite amount of side-quests to do with alternating storylines. Speech and interaction is better than in oblivion and graphics are far superior too. All in all, 10/10. Expand
  62. Feb 12, 2013
    I will be honest, I began to really hate this game at first. The reason why is the first time I played it, I couldn't complete 1 quest because the 1st enemies were frustratingly hard. I do a simple trick to level up my character, but I still get killed more times than a Call of Duty game. Also, I really hated that friggin' Loading Screen. It takes forever, even when I'm killed all the time it takes me back to the Loading Screen. I was seriously about to get my money back....that is till I noticed that there is a Difficulty Setting, I never knew there would be one in a game like this. So I changed it, and now I finally got through the game much better. All I can say is THANK GOD I didn't return it! After completing multiple Quest's and powered up my characters armor and weapons, I became so addicted to the game for hours. The Quest's is great, the Side Quest's are great, the Design is great, the RPG Experience is great, the multiple character classes and stories were great.....everything is absolutely perfect in this game. The only thing that still pisses me off is the Loading Screen. I can understand that it's an Open-World RPG, and the game is HUGE! But still, the loading screen takes forever. Aside from that, this game is absolutely recommendable. If you never played this game yet, GET IT! Just be sure to change the Difficulty Setting just in case you get frustrated like I did. I'm glad I played it and looking forward to play more of it. Expand
  63. Apr 9, 2012
    Outstanding, a game you can and will spend hundreds of hours playing, and you can play it any way you want to, first or third person, do you go in stealthily or head first hacking and slashing, do you fight with a mace in one hand and shooting fire out of the other or do you choose the classic sword and shield approach, you can also choose your race and appearance, the leveling up system is fantastic, skills increase as you use them, focus on archery and your skill with it will increase, pick a lock and you get better at doing so, and it's just so much fun to play, it's easy to fall into the just one more quest trap because there are just so many of them, seriously almost every character in the game will give you one, this game also has what I personally believe is the biggest open world of all time that's jammed pack with content, and unlike most other open world RPG's this world feels truly alive and is a blast to explore, this game does have some flaws however, it's got quite a few bugs and glitches, the main quest is kind of short I completed it in a little under 17 hours and that was with me completing side quests, exploring, and just goofing around, and it has a kind of disappointing ending, but it's fun and after you complete the main quest you get to keep playing basically forever to complete all the side quests and just have fun, and when I first bought it (the day after it came out) the graphics sucked, but with all the updates from Xbox Live it looks good now, but if your not connected to Xbox Live you'll be playing an ugly game, it doesn't hinder your enjoyment of it, and it may have just been my copy but it's something to consider, but even with it's flaws this is still an outstanding and fun experience that you'll lose yourself in for several days, realize that you've played nonstop for days, grab a snack and jump right back into it for several days more, your truly getting more than your moneys worth, so go out and buy this, you wont be disappointed. Expand
  64. Dec 29, 2011
    Horrible and disapointing game. Skyrim is everything Elder Scrolls fans did not want. Its smaller,stripped,mainstreamed,buggy and ugly game. If this is the new direction of Elder Scrolls then this serie is dead for me. It certainly won my FOTY(Fail of the year) award this year.
  65. Nov 21, 2011
    This game, in my personal opinion, is the best single player experience you will have on this generation of consoles. It blows oblivion completely out of the water. No, its not perfect, but it is as close to perfect a game of this scope can be and for that I give it a 10 for the best RPG game ever made. The End.
  66. Nov 19, 2011
    Skyrim is a delicious game to play. It has everything an RPG wants: Freedom, Character build, story, a realitic world environment...

Unfortunately it also has one thing (like previous Bethesda games) that no game wants in it: BUGS. After 9 hours of gameplay the dialogs stopped to work for me and I had to go back to a previous gamesave 3 hours before (time flies while playing!). It's a
    wonderful game but by no means deserves a score over 9. Expand
  67. Nov 21, 2011
    As a gigantic fan of Oblivion, I didn't think it was possible for a game to get any bigger, more detailed, and more immersive; Skyrim proved me wrong. The graphics are awesome, the fights are thrilling, the quests are interesting and fun and the dragons: Genius. This is about as close to a perfect game that will be made, and most definitely one of the best of all time. A masterpiece on every level. Expand
  68. Dec 2, 2011
    This is literally the best game I have played. It's so good that it confuses me how it is even possible. The main thing that confuses me is how magically the loading times for this game are significantly shorter than those of it's predecessor. This game has much better graphics, complex textures, excellent lighting effects, sophisticated AI and somehow they made the loading times shorter. It has been greatly streamlined and leveling up is a lot more fun now! Much better balanced than the last games as well. In ES III Morrowind, melee was heavily favored because magica did not replenish over time. In Oblivion, magic was highly favored because it did replenish and you could also make ridiculous custom spells that made you essentially invincible and arrows were too hard of a skill to level up as well as hard to come by. In Skyrim, it is unfortunate that I will only have one lifetime and therefore will only have enough time to make the most of either a magic, warrior or stealth character. I have balanced my character to do all three with a focus on magic because each one is more fun than the others! Three very distinct play styles with many sub-classes between them. The gameplay is finally that good and also set in a massive, beautiful world full of really fun things to do. No doubt I will be playing this until the next Elder scrolls game comes out.
    I know there are only so many regions in Tamrielle to base games in. So I hope that when they run out, they find another continent so that they can keep making games.
  69. Jan 9, 2013
    Why does this game get a 10 from me? Well to make a long review short; it has everything I want in a game. Great story, versatile gameplay, freedom of choice, doesn't get easily bored and so much more. I have yet to play a game that gives me the same exiting feeling every time I play it, especially after the amount of hour's I have played it (at least 300 hours). I only have it on the xbox, but I'm planing to buy it for my pc as well. My sister say's it's a lot better there, especially when it comes to graphics. Expand
  70. Nov 14, 2011
    Skyrim is a difficult game to review, largely because your level of enjoyment will depend on what time of gamer you are. The game provides you with an enormous feature set and plenty of toys to play with in an impressive sandbox of a world. But if you don't have the time, patience, or interest to seek those things out, the game is never going to spoon-feed you reasons to keep playing. Also, there's rarely any sense of actual accomplishment, as the combat and questing rely more on diligence than actual challenge, and enemy mobs are surprisingly sparse. If you just like exploring and building your character, though, there is quite a bit of optional content that will keep you distracted for 100+ hours, but all that content will feel like filler for less adventurous players. The weather system, day-night cycle, enhanced social interaction, and housing are among my favorite parts of the game, and they go far in adding a sense of immersion. Practically everything is improved over Oblivion, and many of the most annoying aspects of that predecessor have been changed or entirely removed. Technical issues still abound, such as arrows getting stuck in your character and never disappearing like they're supposed to, horses and other animals getting launched into the air randomly, and corpses twitching eratically, but none of these are prevalent enough to kill the overall experience. My biggest gripe is actually against the combat, which is inexcusably loose and lacks any real innovation over previous Elder Scrolls titles, and it's fortunate that the enemies aren't any tougher than they are since you'll probably have a hard time landing a hit in close quarters. Overall, I have really enjoyed my time with Skyrim in spite of its drawbacks, and I'm sure that most role-playing fans will feel the same way. Just make sure that you have some time to devote to it before making the purchase. Expand
  71. X11
    Feb 21, 2012
    Do I even need to say anything about this game? No. Nope I don't think so. Attempting to put it into words would be foolish, foolish I say. Ehem. 10/10.
  72. Nov 25, 2011
    They took what was good about the first game and made it a little better. They aren't the improvements by leaps and bounds over the predecessor however they are pretty decent. The only draw back that I see thus far is the menu. Normally you hit the O button to back out of a sub menu this time you are completely taken out. That takes a little getting used too. Not being able to wield a weapon at the same time you are using magic actually really sucks. I mean SUCKS!!!! The gameplay is nice and fluid. The character interactions are decent, and true to Bethesda history. They took enough out of character building just to keep in interesting for diehards and newbies alike. But seriously the magic thing really is a bust. Simply put I hate that aspect of the game. Expand
  73. Nov 22, 2011
    With the overabundance of linear games on the market, Skyrim is a treat for anyone looking for a title with open adventuring and exploration.

For the amount of content in this game, the value is simply unmatched by any other game out there. Bethesda is showing other companies how to treat a consumer right. No day 1 DLC content, few bugs, great production value and a downright fun game!

This game is huge and the improvements over Oblivion are great. Improved graphics, better voice overs, better AI, faster loading, quicker and improved UI, every dungeon feels different... the list goes on and on.
  74. Nov 20, 2011
    I hadn't heard of Elder Scrolls until my friend told me of Skyrims recent release. I tried it, and I must say it is the best RPG experience I've had. A few downsides: 1. Combat system could've been more intense and advanced. Skyrim is far ahead of Dragon Age, but the DA 2 combat system might be a good inspiration for Bethesda on how to make combat more intense and smooth, of cause WITHOUT the "targeting" aspect. Combat is perhaps a little too dull and glitchy in some cases.

2. Generally there are way too many world glitches, mainly NPCâ
  75. Nov 21, 2011
    Although the game is growing on me, I must say that for something from such an established production company like Besthesda it sure does have its detractions. As has been said countless times already, the textures are stunningly low quality, the combat mechanics are dull, and the menu system is annoying at best. If the time put forth here had been put into Fallout 4 instead, that game would be life-changing. Instead, we get this. Expand
  76. Nov 15, 2011
    I am giving this game a 10 for various reasons. 1 reason is we have haters on here that give this game a 0! I am sorry, no game deserves a ZERO!! The crappiest games should get a 1 or a 2. A zero would mean that it didnt have ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT IT which is not true. 1. The music IS COMPLETELY EPIC. If any of you liked lord of the rings music then you would LOVE the music being played. Out of the last 2 games, the music is GREAT. The music is what you would expect from a Grade A fantasy movie. The graphics are BEAUTIFUL. Even on the xbox 360 it still stands out. Now, some complain about graphic textures from far away. Let me tell you that the xbox is a 6 year old console. The developers can only improve so much before system limitations get in the way. What gaming rig can actually produce awesome draw distances and cystal clear textures from a far way distance. FEW! That is why it is pointless for the developers to put all this effort in to deter texture distances. Just wait until the next series comes out to where its on a next gen console and latest hardware....you wont have anything to complain about then...but on current hardware, its maxes any machine out. Wait until the next gen ...you will see superior and close to perfection draw distances/distant textures but for right now your machines wont handle it. The world IS HUGE!! There are so many places to explore, side quests and main quests to complete. Some people complain about how big the world is. God, that is the point of a game like this...to be able to get LOST in it and discover something new. Afterall, its an ACTION RPG ADVENTURE!! part of the adventure is exploring and discovering....morons. OF course, you can get a map or game guide and it will help ease any confusion. To me, I suggest not using the game guide or map that much. Just explore and enjoy yourself...the reward is finding and completing quests without any help. The NPCs and enemies look awesome...they are as detailed as you can get on a console or pc of this generation. Character creations is pretty detailed and I have not seen any other open world game to beat it. I made my character look like me or at least resemble me. The UI is good and some say its like fallout. Fine, but how many other fan boy games did you buy that kept the same UI? Stupid thing to complain about! You can zoom into your items and assign spells, weapons, potions and etc to your favorites. Working a job like chopping wood and etc is cool. Fable did the same thing and got praise for it. Cooking food, potion crafting, and smithing is pretty neat as well. Although, previous ES series have done this, they added a little more umph to it. A new feature is mining which is what RISEN did. Essentially, they took fables jobs, house, marriage and Risens style of crafting and put it together. VERY GOOD MIX. Combat has improved, one thing to note about Two worlds 2 is the combat animations. Skyrim has mimic this effect from fallout TW2. With ES, it doesnt happen every single time like it does with fallout and TW2. This leaves the effects enjoyable as you don't SEE THEM ALL THE TIME. Dragon fights are riveting. Combat is VERY enjoyable! its a hack and slash with spells. If you like turn based RPGs...then stay away from Skyrim. The various guilds you can join is still impressive as it was in the previous games. Being a thief, assassin, mage, a fighter, and etc puts all the favorite game styles together so ANYONE can enjoy at LEAST one aspect of the game. I could write a WHOLE book on this game but I wont. music-9.7
    graphics-9.5
    gameplay-10
    UI-9.1
    combat-9.0
    content-10
    game is truely worthy of a 95%. I am giving it 10 because of the losers giving it a complete 0
  77. Nov 18, 2011
    Where most games give you 6-7 hours of playtime, Skyrim gives you 50+. The world is breathtaking, the myriad of caves, ruins and various dungeons are interesting to explore, many with small quests or story behind them. The graphics are excellent, especially when exploring the open world, which is huge, bigger than both oblivion and fallout. Quests vary in length, and are far easier to find than in previous games. Every detail has been considered, every pillar of the game is solid, combat is rewarding, the world is vibrant and interesting, the monsters, locations and quests are all varied and interesting, and the enemies scale just enough so its not too hard or too easy, but you still feel powerful at higher levels.The sheer number of quests and locations is mind boggling, Ive been playing for at least 30 hours and there is still so much to do! If your an RPG fan, then this game is the definition of the genre. Expand
  78. Nov 11, 2011
    I loved Morrowind and i loved Oblivion. Even though the last one got criticised a lot for things i do understand. But Skyrim... this... this game is just so incredibly good i have no words for it. Got the game on monday too, around 30 hours in now and i have only seen the tip of the iceberg. There is so ridiculously much content, the world design is so well done and feels alive , the combat is so much more fun, the radiant ai is so much better, i could keep going. And the atmosphere... oh my god. I was afraid too buy the xbox version, as i always bought the pc versions. But since my pc isn't up to date anymore i went for the xbox version. How they can manage to squeeze such beauty out of so dated hardware is beyond me. anyway, i give the game a 10. It is NOT glitch free. There are definately some issues, but it's easily forgivable once you're several hours in and see how ambitious and great this game is. I have played hundreds of games and loads of rpg's, but this just might be one of the best gamign experience of my life. I see myself sinking hundreds of hours in this game and playing it for years to come. It is not overhyped. The only bad reviews are coming from people who are experiencing bugs or people who have always hate bethesda anyway. Expand
  79. Nov 14, 2011
    With Skyrim, Bethesda has created the greatest video game of all time. There is no other video game currently on the market that even comes close to comparing to Skyrim. The best quote out of all of the reviews for Skyrim is from The Onion AV Club - "Where many games with lavish production values seek to direct player's imaginations, Skyrim seeks to ignite them." This is the perfect way to sum up Skyrim. While games like Uncharted 3 and Gears of War 3 just offer shallow, scripted events that are forgotten days after, Skyrim gives you a massive playground that eclipses any other in the digital realm, and gives you the tools to make your own fun, regardless of what kind of games you like to play. Without a doubt in my mind, the greatest video game ever created. Expand
  80. Nov 30, 2011
    I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. In today's market more and more big publishers are giving us less for more, this is not the case with Skyrim. From an Elder Scrolls veteran player's point of view this game has improved it's fluidity of movement, I no longer feel like a camera. Battle feels a lot like Fallout 3 or Vegas without Vats (Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System). A npc buddy system has been added. Crafting has been improved. Graphics have been improved. Map size has remained the same but the world content has increased at least two fold. There's no exclusive content to miss out on if you purchase this at any particular merchant. I don't feel obligated to wait for a game of the year edition as there is no content that has been obviously and intentionally left out of this game. Expand
  81. Nov 11, 2011
    If You liked Oblivion you will love Skyrim, it's everything Oblivion was and improved to near perfection. Hundreds of hours of gameplay with almost infinite things to do. The sound and immersion, the dragons, the magic, the world of Skyrim itself, it's all close to excellence.
    The bugs are still there though, like the animations which are pretty bad and the melee combat that, once again,
    could be better.

Even for the newcomers in this saga I couldn't recommend any other game to buy this Christmas, none other deserves that much the money you'll pay.
  82. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is fantastic, the improvements over Oblivion are huge. The way the fighting has changed (mainly magic). This game definitely has the most potential this year to be GOTY.
  83. Nov 11, 2011
    After seeing countless previews and gameplay vids,I was already expecting a magnificent game.But this!This has taken my already super high expectations and bashed me around the head with them while laughing maniacally like Cicero.Beautiful graphics,amazing audio,and the sheer amount of content make Skyrim the greatest RPG of all in my eyes and possibly the greatest game ever made.A special shout-out goes to the elegant menu system and awesome spells.Also,the excellent duel-wield system is the best I've used in any game. While I noticed occasional pop-up and low-res textures,as well as some melee issues,I simply don't care.A majestic GOTY from me. Expand
  84. Nov 20, 2011
    Skyrim may not be a quantum leap forward for Bethesda, but they've mastered their own unique open world rpg formula and this game delivers the best experience yet. The number of locations and variety of interesting things to do in them is truly staggering. Every few minutes you'll find yourself enjoying a new epic vista, each more amazing than the last. It isn't perfect; the hand-to-hand combat still feels a bit unresponsive and the AI pathfinding is still easy to exploit, but these are miniscule issues in the face of how much fun this title is. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some trolls to torch, bandits to decapitate, and... volumes on Dwemer history to read. Expand
  85. Nov 12, 2011
    Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Thank You, Bethesda.

Just when you thought that everyone had sold out & everything was plastic... so much substance, depth, & detail...

It shows. *Hats off the artists of the game* Well deserved. Musical score & ambiance? Fantastic.

Well done, Bethesda, employees... well done. *bow*
  86. Nov 11, 2011
    Great game! So much better than Oblivion and so close to Morrowind. Love it. Every RPG fan should go and own it immediately. Todd Howard is great man, and I hope he'll make us great Fallout 4.
  87. Dec 10, 2011
    Mmmmm, WHERE to start? Obviously, many users now know of the many bugs, glitches, borked gameplay issues, errors that have plagued various versions of SKYRIM. -From broken quest lines to missed triggers, flying horses, missing heads on player-toons, backward dragons and more, SKYRIM's reviews have also been blessed with PERFECT 10s and desultory 0s, depending upon the multivariable motivations or largesse of individual reviewers. And, while this writer's XBOX version game state evidences missing heads, collision errors between AI and objects, poor pathing, disappearing textures, falling thru the world, hardlocking of the console repeatedly; it does NOT, at least presently, demonstrate sack-crushing lag. . . . BUT, of course, IF game reviews were based solely upon game design documents or designer-fantasies, then EVERY game might garner accolades and generous sell-thru at retail. SKYRIM, on the obverse, has enjoyed massive sales, skewing reviews, and growing condemnation from irate gamers and a limited number of gaming publications and sites, late to the party, due to an avalanche of bugs and broken content. Many users and reviewers have touted argumentation that a game with as much vision as SKYRIM would be bound to have anomalies and glitches. Yes, due to sheer size and scope, a larger aggregation of code would tend to increase the possibility of glitches or odd circumstances. Conversely, when a specific version of a game does NOT work on the system or console that it was designed for; then, something is amiss. Emergent gameplay does NOT mean, random crashes, falling thru the world, disappearing npcs, backward dragons and other oddities; particularly, when nearly ALL of those issues could be easily reproduced, by testers, prior to launch and remedied. Yes, BETHESDA dropped SKYRIM on 11-11-2011, but it might have actually worked as intended IF they'd waited a bit; maybe 11-11-3011. So, then, the conundrum remains: Is SKYRIM worthy of a 10 due to its ambition or a 0 due to its faulty and broken implementation? Alternatively, should movies be rated based upon any future "Director's Cut" version or secret "second ending" on a proposed DVD release or the version the moviemakers shovel into the theaters for your initial approval at launch? Can a game garner GoTY accolades and awards when, in fact, it does NOT run as intended or, not at all, in the case of the PS3 version? For BETHESDA-supporters to intimate that the game's problems are due, in large majority, to the limitations of various hardware is specious; seeming logical but utterly false when closely examined. Moreover, reconsider all the various and SIMILAR issues that other titles from BETHESDA have had, including curiously similar problems with FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS, its own DLC and savegame corruption, incompatibilities and base code issues. . . . BETHESDA, have created their own fact-pattern; repeatedly releasing games with issues and hurried remedies, often to no avail. Expand
  88. Nov 27, 2011
    If you were new to the Bethesda RPG games, this game would be a ten because you'll be amazed out how this game is so huge. If you have already experienced and loved the Elder Scroll series, then this game is a nine because basically it is Oblivion tweaked. Graphics aren't really that much updated or revolutionary; nothing we haven't seen since 2008 from other AAA games. The characters are not as hideous looking as before and the girls actually look attractive this time around. But I swear, Bethesda and Bioware must have a running bet on who can make the ugliest elves in their games. The storyline is just as long as Oblivion's, and the numerous sidequests are about on the same level and uniqness. The combat is as unimpressive as before with the exception you now get, more often than not, pretty cool finishing moves. That's kind of disappointing because today it is possible for some RPG franchises to blend in well the combat action into their RPG games without turning them into hack-n-slashes; Fable and the Witcher come to mind. I was really hoping for an epic battle against a dragon in this game, but it was not so. But those are just small issues considering how impressive Oblivion was five years ago that this game's overall experience is far from dissappointing. Expand
  89. Nov 16, 2011
    It's difficult to see how this could be improved upon. The characters, stories and environments are all matchless; combat is fun and involving, and even just running around is a pleasure. Having spent hundreds of hours in Morrowind and Cyrodiil it's already clear to me that I'll be spending even more time in Skyrim.
  90. Nov 12, 2011
    OK! What can i say about this masterpiece that Bethesda has given us that already has not been said. Well from my perspective the game isn't perfect, (and no game ever will be just like people) but it absolutely NOT matched, but exceeded my expectations! And that folks is a VERY rare thing indeed! Albeit said that i have seen a couple of minor glitches, one example is where i killed two bandits only to come back a couple hours later to find the gear i left on the ground levitating about 3 to 4 feet in the air, HEHE! But hey in a game this massive that's chicken sh!t, This game is absolutely amazing! I am now about 40 or more hours into it and i will absolutely say with confidence that this is the most amazing "GAME" not RPG but game ever made period. If you are a gamer you MUST own this game, and newcomers be patient this game is in no rush so either should you be, believe me the rewards will start flowing from the game before you know it. God bless the true artistic gifts we receive from time to time in this life, AMAZING! Expand
  91. Nov 11, 2011
    I am a fan of multi-player epics like Modern Warfare, Battlefield, and Halo, but I have to say this may be the best game i now own for the 360. It is incredibly detailed and immerses you in a complete movie like experience that doesn't end in 2 hours. All around i have to say that this is a must buy for any owner of any console.
  92. Nov 14, 2011
    Skyrim is a huge improvement over Oblivion in nearly every way. First the setting. The land of Skyrim is huge, beautiful, and varied, unlike the ultimately 'pretty but boring' Cyrodiil of the previous Elder Scrolls game. Gone are the copy and pasted caves, forts, and ruins. Every single dungeon is hand crafted and it shows. Just like the exterior lands the dungeons are gorgeous to look at and compelling to explore. The level of detail given to character and item models is a HUGE step forward. The animation has been given a complete overhaul and at long last characters move naturally and believably in a Bethesda game. The combat has been improved as well. The ability to bind spells and weapons to each hand creates a much needed depth and customization to combat. The spell casting is much faster, more powerful, and more spectacular to look at. The sound design and music are similarly amazing. I'm trying hard to find things to dislike about this game, and the only thing I can come up with is the interface. The interface isn't horrible, but it take some getting used to. I've played the game for about ten hours now, and I haven't seen a glitch or had my game crash, which is also a plus considering this is a Bethesda game. All in all, I'll be playing Skyrim for a very long time, and I think this is easily the game of the year. Expand
  93. Jan 22, 2012
    This game has everything. A virtually unlimited number of quests ranging from the lengthy main quest to the guild quests to a seemingly numerous amount of miscellaneous quests. And I haven't even started talking about the dungeons. The world itself is massive. I've only even neared the edge of the game border once...in all my 60 hours of playing so far! And yet despite its size, it is packed to the gills with stuff in each individual area of the game world. I can hardly go in one direction for more then a minute without stumbling upon a landmark, be it a miscellaneous quest opportunity and/or a dungeon or some other intriguing pastime. This game has more content then I have seen before...ever. Not even GTA4 came close to this. Each quest has been treated with a level of thought and detail that it hardly ever seems thrown in just for the sake of making the game longer. In each quest (be it main, guild, or miscellaneous) I always meet new characters who are colorful and diverse in personality, and a plot woven delicately enough to keep me engaged all the way through. And then there's the graphics. For the size of the game world, I am amazed to see the level of detail that each individual object of the game has been rendered with. The amount of detail, combined with how much there is detailed, is unbelievable. It has been six years since Oblivion came out, and I can easily believe that Bethesda has spent all that time perfecting every nook and cranny of Skyrim, from the quests to the graphics to the game world itself. This is a must buy, not just for RPG fans, but for any gamer out there. You cannot know what a perfect RPG is until you have played this game. Expand
  94. Dec 18, 2011
    Bethesda has created an incredibly immersive and realized fictional world in the fifth game in the Elder Scrolls. NPC's interact realistically, with improved animation and voice acting. Although the total number of skill categories has been reduced, the game does not suffer. In fact, cutting away the excess fat of past games put Skyrim ahead of its predecessors. Combat has been streamlined and improved so that the player can switch between different weapons and magic easily. The menu and inventory systems have been given a similar treatment, with the primary focus being on making it easier for the player. The game is also very well balanced. Wielding swords, bows, magic or taking a more stealthy approach are equally emphasized and all seem like viable ways to play the game. Expand
  95. Nov 24, 2011
    Any game that can make you want to be a master blacksmith deserves a ten. The hours I have lost on this! There are glitches in the game but they make it funny to find them in summary another classic Elder Scrolls game.
  96. Nov 18, 2011
    I want to start this review by taking you back to Oblivion. I played the game on the Xbox 360 and was amazed, stunned, overwhelmed by how deep the game was, by the way that the game world evolved around the player, and how i could be sucked in, just walking around a settlement, watching people live their day to day lives. This was by far the greatest RPG that i had seen or played. The operative word in that sentence being 'was'. Skyrim. The new name on everybody's lips. After Bethesda's last 3 RPG games were solid gold, Skyrim carried great promise. Has it lived up to this promise? Oh yes. Without a shadow of a doubt. The depth of gameplay i experienced in oblivion was back, with a vengeance. The ability to mine precious metals, chop wood, craft weapons, its all there. It all adds to the depth of the world. Spending days working, then going back to your home which you bought, to your wife whom you married, and cooking a meal with the ingredients you harvested. But enough of that. The main quest is comprised of some nice battles against dragons, and the usual Travel to A and clear it of enemies before returning to B with an artifact. This is one of my only criticisms of the game. It would be nice to see some more variety, but this hardly affects the score, because the way that they are presented, and the will the player has to level up are easily enough to make you want to check out every inch of a cavern, to find more loot, and to fight more enemies. The perk system is a little different to fallout, where you have different areas to gain perks in, and they are more progressive than Fallout's, which seem somewhat removed at times, but they feel natural to the progression of the character. So its all good so far for the folks at Bethesda, but the negatives to the game. Yes there are a few, but they are more along the lines of fly in the ointment, rather than worm in the apple. Primarily, the frame rate has some serious issues at times, dropping to a painfully low level where the camera jerks around, and all there is to do is swing your sword blindly or cast a spell in any direction and hope you kill whats in front of you. Secondly, you can enchant items, and create potions, but you cant create your own spells like you could in oblivion, which gave the feel of real purpose to leveling up your magic abilities. I was gutted to find out that. No spell to open any door can be crafted, no charm of invisibility, they must all be found or learned in the game. But despite these minor errors which sadly take the game down to merely being excellent instead of perfect are not nearly enough to stop any gamer who likes RPGs and has half a brain buying it. Is AWSOME! Expand
  97. Jan 17, 2012
    For a game that prides itself on exploration, customization and variety, it falls short on every category. I remember Todd Howard touting how much more diversity it has over Oblivion. That is true for the first 2 hours of the game. You'll immediately notice how much better the graphics are. People aren't as hideous looking as the lemon-shaped faces in Oblivion, the water effects are amazing and Bethesda did try to make every dungeon as different from each other as possible, but after a while, all that means nothing when they offer the same boring experience. What's the point of all this extra space when every 10 miles is the same town with the same people with the same problems? My biggest gripe is the loot. Again, if you are familiar with Bethesda games, you'd know you can open every container and pick pocket every NPC or loot their corpse, but there's no incentive to do those when a Jarl carries nothing better than the next beggar and you can't steal the same items shop keepers are selling. I'm not going to further explain the stale main quest and bugs. It's not a bad game overall. If you've enjoyed the past Elder Scrolls/Fallout games, you'd know what to expect, if not, tread with caution. Expand
  98. Nov 16, 2011
    First off, haters watch the video " if you hate skyrim, watch this video " on youtube please.This game may be the best game ever. Everything about it is fantastic. Sure, there are some very small bugs, but they don't even matter because everything else is done perfectly. There are no other open world games with this much to do or with this much detail, the graphics are the best than any rpg or open world game has ever seen, the game is huge and offers so much to do, and the musical score is fantastic. I understand that people have different opinions and taste, but the haters that have written reviews scoring it 5 or below are either just really imature or ignorant because even if u don't like it, there is nothing horrible about SKYRIm. In fact, there is a video on youtube the hatere must watch its call........" if you hate skyrim, watch this video " check it out please. Expand
  99. Nov 13, 2011
    The pinnacle of open world RPG design. This game takes the best of Morrowind and Oblivion, and even earlier games (random quests from Daggerfall, for example) and takes it to an entirely new level. The world is beautifully designed and very interactive.

One of the best games I've played in a long, long time.
  100. Nov 14, 2011
    Currently *the* best western-style RPG available. Perfect? No, but very close to it. There is such an unbelievable amount of stuff to do, the first playthrough of the average player will easily take 250-300 hours. Great story, great lore, great graphics, great music, great everything! Then why no 10, you ask? Simple, even this game has a few strange design decisions, and also has its fair share of bugs (...I literally just lost my freakin' face for example O_o ). And there's also a 360-specific bug; if you install the game, certain textures will eventually stay low-ress. This has something to do with streaming and cache and whatnot.
    But none of these problems has been game breaking, and Bethesda will fix them as soon as possible.
    It's also a shame that console players are unable to participate in the awesome modding community, but this is not Bethesda's fault.

Why are you still reading this? Go buy Skyrim!

1. Feb 6, 2012
    This epic role-playing game might be Bethesda's best game yet, and offers an unique and spectacular world filled with fun. The freedom ensures a great experience for both the casual and hardcore gamer, as you're free to play the game how you like.
  2. Dec 16, 2011
    Skyrim is the largest, and most compelling work that I've had the opportunity to play this year. It's engaging, engrossing, and will take over your gaming life for many months to come. Not only is Skyrim among the best that 2011 has to offer, but for me, this is, without hesitation, the Game of the Year.
  3. Dec 16, 2011