The First Templar Xbox 360

• Release Date: May 17, 2011
  • Also On: PC
6.3

1. Jun 17, 2013
    I knew very little about this game before purchase.I began playing with a friend on co-op and it was very easy to connect and play through the story. Although, the graphics are not anywhere comparable to Skyrim, nor was the budget of this game comparable either. The story is interesting enough to keep my attention, and the game play is engaging enough to make me keep slashing away. OverallI knew very little about this game before purchase.I began playing with a friend on co-op and it was very easy to connect and play through the story. Although, the graphics are not anywhere comparable to Skyrim, nor was the budget of this game comparable either. The story is interesting enough to keep my attention, and the game play is engaging enough to make me keep slashing away. Overall for $20 you get a pretty good story, about 8 hours of game play, and a good game to play with a buddy or alone. Expand
  2. Apr 9, 2015
    This is the game that could have, and should have been. Releasing itself in a world of fps games, this game tried to integrate a new style of stealth, beat 'em up and linear RPG this game, however did not deliver these things seamlessly and thus is receiving a 7 as game-play gets redundant after awhile.
  3. May 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. Well, first off, it is EASY to understand why critical reviews have been negative. BUT, to me, this game was more engaging, more fun, combined more backstory and historically relevant detail with, simply, more variety than many games of its ilk, for a much-better gameplay experience! :) -I liked it. A lot. . .
    To be sure, I did trash DA2 in my review here on Metacritic and for the reasons included in THAT brief review; but, comparatively, I had much more FUN playing First Templar than DA2. While DA2 obviously touts grander production values, better animation and set-pieces, etc. First Templar often hews to historical facts and personages and the whole thing "smacks" of attention-to-detail albeit a bit under-financed and under-cooked.

YES, First Templar is not without aggravating bugs in a few spots, particularly imo, the controller-hurling boss-fight with "General Muzaffar" which devolved into a PITA. BUT, the odd glitch, the wonky camera and much of what might be askew can, rightly, be patched-away. The weird lip-synch, plasticky models and, sometimes, poor collision (especially during puzzle segments) do need more attention and more revision. BUT, the difference with First Templar compared to other, similar, games are the devs apparent painstaking and arduous attempts to deliver to fans the kind of game that gamers really want, as opposed to, say, a DLC cash grab from other companies disguised as extra features. First Templar boasts better-than-average in-the-round sword fighting with a variety of skill unlocks. Enemies do not explode, nor teleport wearing full plate, or even (/facepalm) drop from the heavens. When your player-character is knocked to the ground, wearing partial-plate, he will roll on the ground and struggle to upright himself while often being surrounded and pummeled by enemy assault. The AI is not bad, although combat animations, death animations, idle animations need more motion-captured adherence to normal movement cycles.
    So, then, the game seems like a throwback to earlier development cycles? The environments are well-appointed and simulate large expanses quite well with directed pathing. It's progressively an homage to multivariable gameplay conceits such as stealth, puzzles, action, fighting with a heavier than normal dose of historical-relevancy tossed on top for narrative coherence. The story, ahem, makes sense and the gameplay captures the ambience of the era despite language localization and UI accessibility issues. First Templar might be an enigma. . . The devs bit off a huge chunk and in their attempt to realize their goal have floundered a bit in translation from plan-to-project, BUT First Templar is most definitely worth a playthrough, imo.

1. games(TM)
    Jul 23, 2011
    Consistently let down by poor design decisions and outdated play mechanics. [Issue#111, p.116]
  2. Jul 20, 2011
    First Templar leaves me with mixed feelings. One the one hand it's a very fun and engaging game to make your way through with a friend, but on the other hand it has little problems here and there that mar the gameplay. It seems like it was sloppily put together and could have been better constructed all around in order to make the gameplay more fluid. It's a decent game to go through at least once and is definitely worth picking up. Not necessarily at full price, but it's certainly worth playing.
  3. Games Master UK
    Jul 8, 2011
    Too cheap and nasty by half. They used to crusade against this kind of thing. [Aug 2011, p.91]