6.1

1. JangO.
    Dec 4, 2007
    It was a pretty fun game for what it was - I didn't expect a whole lot but it by and far surpassed my expectations. I agree with Cris - God Bless Activision Value!
  2. JackS.
    Nov 28, 2007
    Excellent gameplay, the action kept me glued to the chair for hours. Along the wAy Some things about the war in the pacific were made clear for me as well. Edutainment at its finest.
  3. ThomasA.
    Dec 3, 2007
    This game was incredibly realistic and historical. The amount of history that took place in World War II was enormous, and you can always count on the History Channel to present it in new and exciting ways! Now you don't just learn about the history - you experience all of the history from a first-person perspective! It's really amazing what they have done!
  4. JamesC.
    Nov 28, 2007
    I've never had so much fun playing a game where I learn things at the same time! History Channel: Battle For the Pacific combines awesome game play with historical cut scenes in way thats fun for the whole family. Finally I get to shoot the Japanese, I was so bored with the standard European remake of WWII games. Keep up the good work Activision.
  5. CrisS.
    Nov 28, 2007
    Seeing the visuals in this game were more magical then watching my child being born. It's a non stop action thrill ride that will go down in my books as one of the greatest experiances of my life. God Bless Activision Value and God Bless AMERICA!
  6. Mar 16, 2011
    this game is as close as you can get to a real life world war sim, everything from the controlls to the graphics are quite simply amazing. the gameplay is absolutely phenomenal and the pace is incredible too, this has set the bar for world war 2 shooters, one that maybe can never be matched in the near future. any call of duty fans that have not played this need to trade in their copiesthis game is as close as you can get to a real life world war sim, everything from the controlls to the graphics are quite simply amazing. the gameplay is absolutely phenomenal and the pace is incredible too, this has set the bar for world war 2 shooters, one that maybe can never be matched in the near future. any call of duty fans that have not played this need to trade in their copies for this as it is an incredible piece of software.

from bone shattering explosions to next gen set pieces, this is a game that NO first person shooter fan should avoid.
  7. Dec 21, 2016
    By no means a triple A production with cadres of designers and programmers, The History Channel: Battle for the Pacific nonetheless manages to be a great deal of fun and offers several innovative ideas and flourishes that others would do well to copy.

Cons:You can gripe about a somewhat stuttery framerate that happens often. The sergeant and other team members you follow can get stuck and do nothing until you try something to wake them up like press on forward past his stationary form. There's no friendly fire on your fellow soldiers. Some others have complained that aiming is difficult but I wonder if that particular challenge is not intentional, as it gives you the feel of trying to bring the 9 lb M-1 rifle or a 31 lb Browning machine gun to bear on a target. Likewise, lack of boss battles is a net plus to me because using a video game cliche like bosses really has no place in a game based on history.

Pros: Something about the design of this game just makes it all work to make it feel like what it must have been like for real. There are things I've never seen in any other game.
    - You are constantly chasing someone who is giving orders, who moves when you might prefer to stay because there are other objectives he has in mind, and who sometimes recklessly plows guns blazing into enemy fire. There's a saying "you can't manage people into battle, you have to lead them." It's a cliche that someone has to lead the charge, to go over the perimeter first, and rally the troops to take the hill. We see that in this game, maybe not done to perfection, but done in a way that makes you realize that's what it must have been like. You may want to stick around to get that last of 3 snipers that opened up on you but the sergeant is going around the bend yelling at you to keep up. If you lag too far behind you restart the level, so there's lots of incentive to keep up.
    - Try as you might, you won't be killing all or even most of the enemy. In fact, if you don't keep up you can enter a firefight, duck in shame, and when you finally get nerve to peek out again your comrades have already mopped up and are, once again, moving on and calling you to catch up.
    - Sometimes you're just trying to save your skin and basically ignore everything else but to follow your sergeant. So just as in real life there's no artificial goal to kill every enemy. It's good enough to make it onto the beach, past the falling artillery, through the machine gun fire, and over the embankment to safety.
    - Flanking the enemy produces the most satisfying moment in a FPS I've ever experienced. They don't scatter in 8 directions but are simply taken out by your machine gun in a line.
    - Your path through the battlefield takes twists, turns, backtracks--all of the things you'd expect in the fog of war. When your sergeant hauls off to the left fork in one of the many trenches don't be surprised if you run into a dead end and come back. And now you've finally taken the position? Good for you, but you might give it back in two minutes and have to retake it later.
    - Don't expect to take your time behind that mounted gun the sergeant asked you to take over. Before they stop coming at you he may call you off of it--time to move out.

If you are at all willing to forgive less than state-of-the-art mechanics for a unique experience, try this game.

1. The History Channel implementation, level setup and graphic selections are A+ choices; it’s the execution that tanks the experience.
  2. There are a ton of fine shooters hitting shelves this year that are good enough to go down in history. It would be a shame to waste your money paying full price for this heap, which instead takes history down with it.
    The History Channel: Battle for the Pacific isn't necessarily an atrocious game, but it just isn't that fun and brings so very little to the table.