• Publisher: 2K Play
  • Release Date: Feb 17, 2010
  • Also On: PC
7.5

1. Aug 11, 2010
    The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom is one of the most interesting arcade games I have ever played, it's score, storyline, grainy animation, and comical poetry make this game so satisfying. It is very artistic and enjoyable. This is one Platform Puzzle game you have to play. If the pies don't make you salivate the gameplay will everything about this game is original and fun. One of myThe Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom is one of the most interesting arcade games I have ever played, it's score, storyline, grainy animation, and comical poetry make this game so satisfying. It is very artistic and enjoyable. This is one Platform Puzzle game you have to play. If the pies don't make you salivate the gameplay will everything about this game is original and fun. One of my favorite arcade games I have played, and I have played a lot. You will get so much more out of this game than the money you put into it. Expand
  2. Jun 3, 2013
    I love the aesthetic of this silent film-inspired game. Its mind-bending puzzles are even more innovative than Braid's and gradually increase in complexity until the end. Stealing pies has never been so much fun!
  3. Apr 11, 2013
    An amazing little gem. Winterbottom is loaded with black'n'white-old-school-cinema humor. How often can you play a *good* game in black and white? The graphical style is really great (artsy stuff!) and soundtrack is really "old-school-movie evocative". Winterbottom consists various of short stages, each a puzzle of it's own. It's not a long game, but it's quite inexpensive, and it has goodAn amazing little gem. Winterbottom is loaded with black'n'white-old-school-cinema humor. How often can you play a *good* game in black and white? The graphical style is really great (artsy stuff!) and soundtrack is really "old-school-movie evocative". Winterbottom consists various of short stages, each a puzzle of it's own. It's not a long game, but it's quite inexpensive, and it has good replay value. A great game for anyone who's into indie games, old movies or just wants a blast of "different" gameplay. It's also available for PC. Expand
  4. Sep 29, 2010
    The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom is certainly an unique game, but the mechanics of the game are far too simple to compare to classics such as Braid. If Winterbottom is purely seen from an independent developer standpoint, then yes, it is a highly innovative game considering its low budget. But from a consumer viewpoint, the game is more average than fun. While the mechanics ofThe Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom is certainly an unique game, but the mechanics of the game are far too simple to compare to classics such as Braid. If Winterbottom is purely seen from an independent developer standpoint, then yes, it is a highly innovative game considering its low budget. But from a consumer viewpoint, the game is more average than fun. While the mechanics of having clones and controlling time is fun, it is not done so in a clever way. The drawings are very simple, and the missions are much too tedious. The backgrounds are dull and repetitive, it becomes monotonous after the first world. Winterbottom is fun for a couple minutes, but its dullness and monotony overcomes that entertainment. But in a developer standpoint, Winterbottom is an achievement for Indie companies, but that does not cut it in the mainstream audience. Expand
  5. Jan 11, 2011
    Though I really enjoyed the art and goofy poetry, there was not enough story to hold my attention, and the puzzles became too frustrating as they became based on crackshot timing. It was worth playing for a little while, but ultimately I didn't see the reward in persevering.

5 for great look, but gameplay appealing only for someone that's more of a hardcore twitch platform fan.

1. Maybe it's fitting that a game about pies leaves you hungry. Even if it ultimately ends up with your stomach growling, Winterbottom's very best bites are still worth every penny. [Mar 2010, p.80]
  2. Smart games should be championed, not feared, and the mental challenges contained within this game are only more impressive once you solve them. Upon completing them, I felt as if I had truly conquered something. Of course, I also felt like I could really go for a nice piece of warm pie. Preferably a la mode.
    Braid may seem like the closest contemporary to Winterbottom, as time manipulation is key to each game's platform challenges, but World of Goo is a near-equal counterpart in my mind. Both offer devious challenges complemented by fantastically clever aesthetics, but regardless of which game makes the most sense as an existing touchstone, simply mentioning The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom in their company should say a lot about how worthwhile and refined a game The Odd Gentlemen have created.