8.9

1. Apr 10, 2014
    Although the game is merely repackaged content, no one can deny that each and every game on the disc is brilliant and innovative in their own ways; whether it be the multiplayer warfare of TF2, the crowbar-strike and slash of Half Life 2 or the puzzles of Portal, all will enjoy this game.
  2. Mar 13, 2014
    To say that any fan of gaming needs to own this collection is an understatement. Unless you already own HL2 plus eps 1&2, and Portal and don't feel the need to buy the whole thing simply for Team Fortress, you can't really consider yourself a fan of quality video games without owning this usually budget price box. The value in here is like finding a still wrapped original pressing of the White Album in the $2 bin at your local charity store...with cake. Expand
  3. Feb 7, 2014
    Great content. Half life 2 and portal would be worth buying on their own. The episodic content is less good and I couldn't get in to team fortress 2 at all. But I would still recommend this to anyone
  4. Jan 26, 2014
    This review is mainly for Half-Life 2 and its episodes. Half-Life 2 is one of the best games I've played in a long time and The Orange Box has to be the best game/bundle I've played on the 360. Why is it so good? Presentation: Eventhough these are all old games, the graphics still look pretty good. Especially Episode Two and Portal hold up fine. The best thing however are the physics. It has an amazing physics engine that is one of the best in gaming (even today), break wood, move cars, throw rocks, it's all there.
    The presentation aside from the engine is excellent too: the eerie music, creepy sounds and believable world all make for a very immersive experience, one that not many games can top.
    The story is also were Half-Life 2 shines. You really bond with the characters and your mission to defeat the Combine (or is it to protect Alyx?).

GAMEPLAY:
    Half-Life 2 and Portal are extremely innovative games that make use of their great engine. They are linear games yet leave the clues to progression up to you.

VERDICT:
    + Fantastic story and characters
    + Fun and innovative physics based gameplay
    + Creepy setting, atmosphere and attention to detail

Half-Life 2 is one of the best games I've played.
    (3 main categories in my review, 3 big plus points, I mentioned HL2 5 times. Half life 2. 5-2=3. Half Life 3 confirmed?)
  5. Jan 21, 2014
    Half Life 2 (and Valve in general), have earned a place in the hearts of gamers that play video games in the regular biases.
    It is strange to find someone that doesn't even know at the slightest what the whole Half Life universe it's about, even then it happens to be understandable.

Half Life 2 starts where the first installment of the series, Half Life, left you. You begin to
    understand the overall thematic, and situation of the entire experience even if you never happened to touch the first game, or even know it's slightest about it, however, if what you're looking it's for a compelling story, that will somehow compensate, and go hand to hand with the gameplay, then you're looking at another game.
    Half Life has always have a very simplistic story (which is fine by me), it never truly fills you in into your outgoing objectives, and goals, rather than that the true essence that's going to impulse you to keep playing this incredible experience, it's going to be it's gameplay (which ironically tends to be the most important aspect of any game).

The fluidity of the gameplay it's incredible, it never truly removes the control to the player, and even when it does, it still gives the player the freedom to do whatever he pleases to do.
    This mixture in between the linearity of the entire level design, accompanied with the pure sheer of beauty that it's the freedom, to give full control to the player. It is truly something that stands out, and even to this date some developers should take note on how to do so.

There's several different key components that make the Half Life series so popular, for starters, it's the enigmatic moments in the game that truly share an extremely unique, and unforgettable experience, Ravenholm, the several different vehicle sections, the sudden stop of the experience to get the gravity gun, the game it's filled with moments that are extremely memorable, and even while i'm writing this im still getting flashbacks, on a couple of the splendorous moments, inside what is already, an splendorous moment.
    And that's the pure sheer, nor substance that makes this particular game to be so recognizable.

The game does not only shares with you an already incredible experience, but it allows you to create your own experience.
  6. Jan 16, 2014
    The ability to be able to play Half-Life 2 on console earned the Orange Box a 9, the fact that Portal was thrown in there puts it above and beyond a 10 in terms of content within a disc. Team Fortress 2 is also a great game but doesn't really have the user base on the 360 that it does on Steam so is deemed pretty useless despite it being a solid game. To split them up Half-Life 2 is an absolute classic that is still talked about as one of gaming top achievements and I have to agree, the controls port from PC a little poorly but it doesn't detract from the essential experience of the game, the only other negative is that the graphics look a bit out dated. Portal is another great experience that deserves to be in the echelons of gaming history, only really worth playing through once but the level design, puzzle design, short length and general witty presentation of the game make it a must play for all gamers. All this in one box loses out on game of the year by being unlucky enough to have been released the same year as Bioshock. Expand
  7. Jan 7, 2014
    Half Life 2 and its episodic additions set the bar for first person shooters almost a decade ago. Even today, that standard is almost unmatched by today's games. While many modern shooters are good, even great, none combine every conceivable facet of gaming and put it into a superb product.

I still play this game every once in a while and it still amazes me how I can be entertained even
    9 years later. The graphics still hold up with superior animation and physics engine. Half Life 2 is able to weave a story that is truly epic, but not so over the top so as to lose credibility. Overthrowing an evil alien regime has never been more fun. There is appropriate pacing, where it's not non stop pointless action like the COD series, yet moments where you can connect with the characters and gives purpose to your goal. The AI was terrific, reacting to grenades, seeking cover when hurt, using coordinated teamwork. Some games even today can't get the basics right when it comes to AI. There are varied environments and challenging, but not frustrating puzzles to overcome with your famed gravity gun. You're never just running down the same drab corridor again and again with endless respawning enemies due to lack of creativity. The best part is no playthrough is the same twice. You can always try new tactics, made possible by the sweet gravity gun.

The other games include Portal 1 and Team Fortress, which is a physics based puzzle game and a team multiplayer game respectively. Both are well done and Portal is probably the most thought out physics game ever. Team Fortress is a little cartoonish, but the gameplay is solid fun.

In short, it's hard to find a better deal than these five games rolled into one bundle. These games have really showed that graphics arent everything and that gameplay and story are the most important aspects for a gaming experience.
  8. Jan 6, 2014
    Contains the greatest (top 3?) game ever created, at least in my little world. The orange box is a no brainer, despite being fairly old now and oddly rare on the 360, the OB is a real piece of work. Half-Life 2 is ported 100% perfectly and in the most recent of patches (at the time of release). Even in the year. 2014, HL2 still looks quite good and is as fun as ever to play. The epic single player saga is as every bit amazing as it once was! Couple the fact you get Episodes 1 and 2 2 being the length of a full game and better than most and you have the best value out there! Oh and portal is fun too! But don't bother with this version of TF2, it has about 15-20% of the con-current PC version. Total valve fan service and the best boxed deal on planet earth...Outside of Stuffed Crust meat lovers... so Second best Expand
  9. Oct 21, 2013
    one of the best games i ever bought. this is what introduced me to the half life franchise and pc gaming. I played tf2 for hours and played and replayed all the other games multiple times i seriously recommend getting this game if you dont want to pay much and want the most bang for your buck
  10. Jun 27, 2013
    Why spend $60 on a new game when you can spend only $30 on 5 games? The Orange Box is one of the best deals in gaming. It contains Half Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode 1, Half Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. So, essentially you're getting one of the best FPS games, one of the best puzzle games, and one of the best multiplayer games all in one bundle. There really isn't much more to say. Just play it for yourself. Expand
  11. Apr 9, 2013
    Graphics: 7/10 Gameplay: 8/10 Enjoyment: 7/10 Value For Money: 10/10 8/10
    This game is... Wow! If you have a gaming computer I would obviously recommend this on there. However here it is just a little bit worst... BUT STILL AMAZING!!!!!
  12. Mar 26, 2013
    I'd give it a 9.5 if it let me. This is simply an amazing deal. Obviously the graphics are a little dated by today's standards considering when this was released, but they hardly look bad by any regard either. Team Fortress 2 remains in it's original vanilla state, which is somewhat disappointing, but it still provides many hours of multiplayer enjoyment regardless. For the three of you who haven't played Portal yet, it provides an entertaining puzzle game with a interesting story to boot, and remains one of my top games of all time despite not being considerably long, and provides challenges to add to the replayability of it. Finally, the best part of it is Half Life 2 and it's two story expansions. Half Life 2 has a certain elegance about it where the music, gameplay, and story all combine to make one of the best game experiences in a long time. It's too hard to explain what about it exactly is so great, but just trust me when I say it's a must play that still holds up as an amazing experience to this day; sure beats most of the shovelware coming out these days anyways in almost every regard. 3 great games for the price of half a single game: what's not to love? The only complaints I have about this are that there were definitely a large number of loading screens, the ai often got in your way, and vehicle controls could have been better. Nothing gamebreaking, just minor complaints. Expand
  13. Jan 28, 2013
    You've read the reasons this game is an easy 10. Let's be honest here. And although it feels dated in some ways by now (obviously), it still is just so great.
  14. Jan 1, 2013
    The value of this set is extraordinary, but hardly the most impressive thing about the Orange Box. This is quite possibly the best set of Valve games ever created. You are not a gamer until you have played and beaten all of these games. Half-Life on its own is one of the greatest games ever made! Portal is ingenious in its design, and my all-time favorite game. Team Fortress 2 is one of the most original or entertaining multiplayer games, I love it to death and have played countless hours. all in all...PERFECT. Expand
  15. Oct 27, 2012
    Truly the best deal in gaming history! A rarity in gaming in that the characters are interesting. Game-play, graphics and story are all marvelous! Often disappointed by sequels but was so happy that this was good.
  16. Sep 20, 2012
    Not much replay value in this package. The Half-Life 2's and Portal are absolutely worth experiencing at least once. If you like first person shooters these are some of the best campaigns you could play.
  17. Aug 25, 2012
    I was excited when I got the Orange Box. I saw that there were basically 5 games on it and they were supposedly all good. Unfortunatley, I was dissapointed. Portal was fantastic and I loved playing it. However, I couldnt get into Half Life 2 and in the end I just gave up on trying to be entertained. Team fortress 2 is also good but i'm not a big multiplayer fan. So, The orange Box is good for some people and not so good for others. Expand
  18. Aug 4, 2012
    All 5 games on this disc are winners. Half Life 2 is one of the best games of the decade and stands up even now roughly 7 years later. Portal is an original and interesting puzzle game that does not disappoint but sadly it's about 3 hrs on your first run through, I've gotten it down to about an hour and a half. Team Fortress 2 is very fun but I wish they'd bring the updates that it got on the PC to the Xbox. Half Life 2 and it's episodes are all amazing, my one complaint are the many loading screens, while short they can break up the action. Another gripe is that if you are going for all Gold Medals on Portal Challenges is that the challenge times and steps were not converted for the Xbox controller. The mouse and keyboard allow for much faster and accurate movement that a standard controller can not provide, making some challenges almost impossible without using cheat codes.

So in conclusion:
    Fantastic games, highly recommend
    Dirt cheap now, you can't go wrong
    Some Portal Challenges haven't ported well to consoles
    No updates to TF2

This is a must buy and one of my favorite games of all time, the best DEAL in gaming history. Half Life 2 took me about 15 hrs my first time through. Both episodes are about 5-6 hrs each. Portal, about 3 hrs on your first play through. Team Fortress 2 has a lot of replay value but with about 6 maps it can get old.

So if you beat all the single player games you'll sink in about 30 hrs + However long you spend on TF2. Not counting all 99 achievements for this game (I got all of them and it took me quite a while) this should keep you occupied for quite a while.
  19. Jun 6, 2012
    Eh?? Whilst Portal is most possibly THE best gimmick-game ever made, it is still just a gimmick game and if it lasts you 2 hours you'll be lucky. As for Half life 2 & it's expansion well they are horrible, dated, boring and weak games. P*ssing about with see-saws and other puzzles designed to show off a physics engine is just tedious and makes for a tiresome game. I really don't get what people see in this other than nostalgia and a cute little bonus puzzle game?? Expand
  20. May 27, 2012
    A masterpiece. One of gamings best offerings. A gaming experienced that will be remembered for a lifetime. Mind blowing. Superb. Revolutionary. Another all time fav. Of mine
  21. Apr 28, 2012
    Essentially Portal and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 + 3 games you probably already own, but it's forgivable, because they're truthfully three of the best games on the market. Half-Life 2 and its episodes are a beacon of intelligent game design and compelling narrative, while Team Fortress 2 is a well balanced shooter, but lacks enough content to enthral any fps fan for too long, and you'll find yourself being drawn back to much more populated games like Halo, Call of Duty and Battlefield. Portal...short, sweet, hilarious, intelligent and individual, a truly original piece of gaming that'll have you addicted from sublime start to perfect finish. Valve just really gets what it is that gamers want, you have to think to progress, these are games that involve the player, and that's what makes them so incredible Expand
  22. Apr 26, 2012
    Portal is the best puzzle game I have played in some time. It is very original and enjoyable. Half-life is also my favorite first person shooter series, so I enjoyed that too.
  23. Apr 24, 2012
    When i bought this Box in 2007 i was mainly getting it for Half Life. I did not play it before and so i finally wanted to get my hands on it. It blew me away ... the game is absolutely amazing. The story is interesting, the characters memorable, the graphics are still great today and the gameplay is just spot-on.

But before i even got to Half Life I tried out Portal because I was told it
    was pretty short... and so I played through it in 1 sitting. This is absolutely one of the best games ever created. The puzzles themselves are enough to sell the game even at full price. But what makes this game so outstanding is the dialogue and the humor. This game is touching and made me laugh out loud multiple times ... the end almost made me cry. This game is just brilliance.

Team Fortress 2 was probably what I was least interested in ... but let me tell you something : I still play it. It has no single player and no real goal or anything, but just the incredibly fun gameplay is enough to keep you playing for years.

Overall : This would be worth tripple the amount they charge you for ... or even more. I would happily buy this box for 100â
  24. Apr 3, 2012
    Great games. Great value. TF2 is kind of a useless add-on (for consoles that is). Otherwise if you haven't played any of HL2 and of course Portal, then get this!
  25. Mar 20, 2012
    You can pick up this game for around $10 now, which is probably the best game bargain out there. Even at it's original $50 price tag, it was more than worth it. You get 5 games, 5 FULL games. Each episode of Half-Life: 2 is easily a full game. Throw in Portal and Team Fortress 2 and you get the best compendium ever created. This game is impossible to rate at less than a 10; you won't get more for $10; Hell, you won't get more for $60 these days. Expand
  26. Jan 3, 2012
    Not really a game, but a compilation of several, both new and old. There's the Half LIfe 2 which I know and love so well and its Episode 1, plus the all new Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal, and, man, they are all simply awesome.
    Episode 2 brings back that epic quality and feel of Half-Life 2 and expands it to new dimensions.
    Team Fortress 2 is a really good and quirky multiplayer
    which probably requires gamers with at least half a brain.
    And lastly, Portal is the surprise package of the package, packing an intriguing and charming story, combined with fun and fresh gameplay into a short game.
    The Orange Box is unconventional, but Valve shows their prowess once again. Always a pleasure.
  27. Nov 22, 2011
    An amazing package.
    Half Life 2 and its expansion packs may have aged a little with time, but is still eminently playable, and very engaging at that, which given its age is testament to quite what a game it was on release.
    Portal makes up the other marvelous aspect of this package. Creative, thoughtful, and often ingenious.

Overall the Orange Box makes for some of the best gaming
    anywhere, let alone for the price you can get it for nowadays. Expand
  28. Nov 21, 2011
    It's a must play. I would have given it a 9, but with the addition of Portal...it's an absolute 10. There's also a 20gig expansion pack you can download that "freshens" up Half-LIfe 2, and is amazing. Highly recommended. Enjoy.
  29. Nov 20, 2011
    This is the best thing ever created. Considering the Half-Life series was my favorite game series to begin with there wasn't a chance i was not going to like this. I recommend this to anyone who likes video games in general. Your getting three Half-Life games which have an amazing story and are very fun to play, then you have Portal which is an awesome and extremely well made puzzle game, and last you have Team Fortress 2 which is a fun cartoon multiplayer game. Expand
  30. Nov 15, 2011
    Just buy this package, you will enjoy the games immensely, plenty on gameplay hours, and the greatest hits Valve has ever made. Valve is awesome once again.
  31. Nov 8, 2011
    It's games like this that show Valve is one of the only developing companies that demonstrate extraordinary consistency.

The Half Life series seems to have most every quality of a single player shooter that people receive well; original, great pacing, interesting environments, fun weapons, etc. Not only does it have those qualities that are just generally talked about, but it also the
    small amounts of polish added to the game to make it that much more enjoyable, and make no mistake; the small things matter, gamers are way to OCD to ignore the small things. I'm talking about the way set pieces are placed to where it doesn't take away control of the character when it comes time to explain the story. I see this as a very good median between those who are interested and less interested in the story. If we look at past releases that were extremely successful (Bioshock, Oblivion), it is obvious that gamers love freedom. Half Life does have more linear elements to it than open elements, however I would go as far to say that Half Life 2 has the based pacing for any other linear single player game I have played that I can remember.

Portal is one of those games where it's really hard to find something wrong with it. At least in Half Life you could probably FIND something to **** about, regardless of the fact it's a fantastic game. Portal has nothing against it; if it's your kind of game, you will LOVE it. I could not find one instance while playing through it where I found myself frustrated by things that were not necessarily dependent on my playing. So many games will have potential, but it will have crappy controls, or lack of polish, or it doesn't run smoothly enough, Portal is all good challenge. I suppose one could make the case that Portal is not original because it was based on a student made game called Narbacular Drop; my response to that is, which one did YOU play? (Exactly). There were other first person shooters before Doom and probably Wolfenstein, doesn't take away from those games one bit. It had no technical short comings, it was cleverly staged, amazingly creative in its puzzle and level design, it offered more of a challenge for more advanced players, and it had very decent humor (although I suppose that's subjective).

I'm not sure I should review Team Fortress 2, because I suck at it. Yet, I can also put credit to the game for still being a blast despite my terrible performance. I do think that they should not stray away from having everyone on a level playing field, which is what I felt made it significantly more balanced than Call of Duty. I don't know if they have always had the store, but I think that was a little step away from an aspect I liked about the game. I also think they could have done a better job of gauging the speed a each class should move based on their primary weapon(s). If I had to guess what makes TF2 as popular as it is, is the obvious reason that every multiplayer game should emulate; it is a shooter that most can just jump right into.

These games have all of the wow-factor and originality of a good game, except no one can touch Valve when it comes to polish, for it takes out all of the annoying nuances of a good game to turn it into a mediocre game. Stunning!
  32. Nov 8, 2011
    Graphics suck on Xbox but as a package it's extraordinary value. I picked it up for just £15 and it was worth every penny. I'd be happy to pay that just for Portal and TF2 alone. But Valve shoved in 3 classics too. So you're getting 2 new games and the HL2 series on top. In here you're bound to find some enjoyment. Can't go wrong with 5 games.
  33. Nov 6, 2011
    ive seen this game for the pc back in 2004 and it blew me away, i never played it till it hit the xbox, and lemme tell you, this is the best 1st person solo campaign i have evr witnessed. its jsut amazing, every aspect of the game is crazy. **** the whole package is a steal.... 5 games on a disk? come on now, thats too easy not to pass up... **** i dont think i should say more? **** buy this bih if you havent already Expand
  34. Oct 23, 2011
    Let me start off by saying that I agree with those who are saying that The Orange Box is a deal - 5 games in a case. Yeah but these games are just terrible. Team Fortress 2 makes for one of the worst online FPS I've played. The gameplay reminds of Q3 arena but with no fun in it + it is impossible to play this game on a console(it is an okay PC game however) Then, there is Portal. It has 19 and the ending part(would be a spoiler), but all of these chambers are not challenging at all!!! The game takes around an hour to complete! Chambers are not creative compared to what could be done and it's too easy, but you always have to listen that annoying GlaDos. Finally there is Half Life 2 and both add-ons/expansions for it(episode 1 and 2) I found both, the original Half-Life 2 and the Episode 1 to be extremely boring, the plot was awful and, i usually dont mind when the main protagonist is mute, but in this game he NEEDS to speak. Episode 2 was better, i'd even say i liked it, and it was the only good time i had with Orange Box. People are saying it's 5 games for 60$(at launch) , while it is more like 2 games(TF2 and HL2) with 2 add-ons(Episode 1 and 2) and a Mini-game(Portal) IMO it isn't worth 60$ even for 2007, however I picked it up for 9.99$ so I don't feel so bad. Expand
  35. Oct 17, 2011
    this is just the best package ever. granted portal is too short and team fortress looks dodgy, they are all great games at a very low price. excellent value and overall i think it is even better than blops, dead rising, fable 3 (by miles) and even guitar hero (for value)
  36. Aug 30, 2011
    The Orange Box is the best value ever. Half life 2 is amazing. Portal is a new fresh puzzle and TF2 is a great team based multiplayer game.
  37. Jul 24, 2011
    Wow. Just wow. Valve has always been an amazing developer, all of their games I've played are fantastic. This just blew me away. I have to admit, I very recently picked this up. I know, my bad. I grabbed this collection, used, for $17.00. This is the best video game value I've seen, ever. I haven't played Half Life 2 up until now, but I finally see what the hype is about. That game alone is worth the $17.00. Then adding the amazing Portal, which needs no introduction, as well as Team Fortress is a great deal. Also, the Xbox ports are not bad like everyone says. Expand
  38. Jul 24, 2011
    One of the greatest gaming deals ever, it comes with 5 great games. Half Life 2 and its episodes are already great on their own, offering great FPS playing, puzzle solving and fun achievements to complete. Portal, though short, is a marvel to play and you'll see just how fantastic it is when you dive into it. Team Fortress 2 is probably one of the greatest online games ever, though it does play better on the PC. Overall - superb package. Expand
  39. Jul 3, 2011
    In my opinion, the Orange box is the best game ever released. This game is a great deal, getting five really amazing games for a low price. You will not hate anything about this game, if you ever get it.
  40. Jun 26, 2011
    3 games and 2 expansions for halflife 2 all for the price of $60 is a great value . you get half life 2 which is a great game and the gravity gun is just a neat idea not just for a wepon but for solving puzzles . Portal is such a fun and intresting game although short i still found myself runing through it a few times and just having a ton of fun . team fortress didnt do any thing for me i didnt hate it or any thing i just didnt get into it. all in all the orange box is a sure buy . you are bound to find some fun in atleast one of thoose games. Expand
  41. Jun 21, 2011
    The best game on Xbox, bar none. The Orange Box has 5 truly brilliant games on one disc. Team Fortress 2 is a bloody, shouty shooter that's only flaw is it's small fan-base. With more support, it could be amazing. The three Half Life games are an example of how to make shooters constantly fun, always throwing around new ideas, always being supremely playable. Finally, Portal is a brand new (though at the time of writing, Portal 2 has been released) puzzle shooter that unique, yet fits in with the Half Life mythology. It's truly mind bending and simply unmissable. And, as is The Orange Box itself. A collection of five unmissable games in one unbeatable package. Get it! Expand
  42. Jun 14, 2011
    i have to give this 10 out of 10 due to the fact i am a big valve fan i love there games like l4d and l4d2 and tfc and so on there the best game creators to date tf2 is awesome hl2 hl2e1 and hl2e2 is my favourte single player games ever the grapics are very outdated on these games and so am i for reviewing the game 4 years after release. but hey will still play half-life 1.
  43. Jun 1, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyed this. 5 games in one game is great value for money. Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One and Half-Life 2: Episode Two are incredible games and the story is great and takes about 15-20 hours to complete them all. Portal 2 may now be out but Portal is still an incredible game, it challenges you and is often quite funny. Team Fortress 2 is a really good multiplayer game but unfortunately now does not have many players although you can usually get into full games if you are on at the right time. All in all, The Orange Box is one of the best games I have ever played and at the price it is to buy now, it's worth it. Expand
  44. Jun 1, 2011
    Bundle Half-Life 2 with it's 2 episode installments, the out-of-nowhere masterpiece Portal and the PC sensation TF2 and you have any gamer's wet dream. This is pretty much an essential element to any gamer's collection. Where Half-Life 2 might not have aged particularly well, its still a great game. Portal will please every part of your brain with it's quirky humor and brain-bending puzzles and TF2 will potentially occupy hundreds of hours of your time. Do yourself a favor and play this game. Expand
  45. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = Best Compilation disc . . . EVER!!!
  46. Mar 26, 2011
    Even considering its age.Half-life 2 is one the finest games ever made and still the benchmark in FPS's.Packed with the add-ons,(Portal especially)The Orange Box is truly excellent.
    For the younger Gen though,you may wonder what all the fuss is about considering that COD and Halo have most of your attention(I can't,for the life of me,figure out why)
  47. DME
    Mar 21, 2011
    Team Fortress 2 is the only game of the five that I don't really like. Sure, the PC version is freakin' awesome but this XB360 version is definitely not. Portal was awesome and left me disappointed when I found out how short it was (about 4 hours worth) but even so... Half-Life 2 series is the best of the bunch with a great story and great gameplay. The only thing that's not top-notch about HL2 is it's sound effects, which I found poor at times. But don't let the small gripes outweight the incredible package that this game is! $20 is an AMAZING deal for this game. If you like FPS games... The Orange Box is for you. Expand
  48. Mar 19, 2011
    Valve is one of my favorite game developer companies, and I now love them even more when they released "The Orange Box". The orange box includes Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. Let's start with Half-Life 2, Episode 1, and Episode 2. If you never played the first Half-Life and started the second, you might ask "WTF is the purpose of this game?" You really need to know the storyline of the Half-Life franchise or you'll be stuck in a confused territory. After playing "Portal", I now know what is my favorite puzzle game. I thought the timing of "Portal" was a bit too short and I wished it had harder puzzles. Team Fortress 2 is a class-based multiplayer that I love so much. I really love the style in Team Fortress 2. You might be thinking "This is going to be really expensive." Well you're wrong, because this whole package is less than $20. I really love the style in Team Fortress 2. Now the Verdict.

Valve always impresses my with their products and this product blew me away. This package would've easily cost "$60". You are getting a good deal. Please buy it!

+ 5 Games
    + Cheap
    + Creative Puzzle Game
    - Needed harder puzzles.

RATING: 9/10
  49. Mar 17, 2011
    Well worth its money HOW many games,shooters,puzzles and portal what a gem of a game,half life love it..but the puzzler portal is brillant..spent a week completeing the shooters then 2 (cough) weeks puzzling out portal.....man am i thick....but had great fun......:-)
  50. Mar 13, 2011
    How could this game be given anything other than 10? 5 fantastic games at no extra charge. Half Life 2 is a classic FPS with unparalleled level design and storytelling. Its following episodes continue this well. Team Fortress 2 is an addictive, frantic online shooter that only has a handful of maps, although the ones given are highly polished. The real showstopper here is Portal, a darkly comedic and mind bending puzzle game. Its short length is a perfect fit, ensuring that it doesnt outstay its welcome. Glados is a magnificent video game creation, a character who uses dry wit, sarcasm and just about every other kind of humor to good effect with a hefty sprinkling of judgement. The Orange Box is incredible and you would be a fool to not buy it. Expand
  51. Nov 26, 2010
    Half-Life 2 on it's own is worth a million dollars let alone put with the genius that is portal. DO yourself a favour if you haven't played this get on it now.
  52. Nov 25, 2010
    This has so many games packed into one game I hesitate at giving it a 9 instead of a 10. But 9 it is because the game is showing it's age, especially now a few years after its release. I feel like it's a better experience on the PC, and that Xbox 360 makes the game lag and stutter in places and it just doesn't have that same polish on the Steam side of things. It's great, don't get me wrong: there is so much to do in this package... but I still feel like I'm coming up short somehow. Expand
  53. Nov 24, 2010
    I think I was a little late to the Orange Box party. By the time I picked this up, the Half Life 2 portion of it seemed a little dated. Portal was awesome, just very short. I got my money's worth out of this title, I just wish I had gotten to it earlier.
  54. Oct 8, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the finest,immersive,clever game ever.
    i played this package for more than 90 hours now...
    portal is genial,the half life saga is simply the best fps ever made and team fortress 2 is one of the best multiplayer game available.
  55. Sep 25, 2010
    The original half life 2 that was released 4 years ago and is included in this package is worth the price of the entire package. If you rate this package lower then a 9 you just don't know what makes games fun.
  56. Aug 14, 2010
    This is the best game including more games since the Chronicles of Riddick, and that wasn't that good. This box has some of the games that will be remembered for many, many years, until after the sequels come out for them. Portal; Yes, it's short, and a confusing puzzle game, but that makes it even more fun, when it tests your mind. The very anticipated sequel could make this game a for sure Game of the Year! Half- Life; Yes, a cliffhanger, but that just makes you wanna play it more before Episode III comes out. Team Fortress; Yes, just a game for Live, which I was a little disappointed at, but once I got Live, this game became more fun than Halo 3! Valve is still well- into the Zombie category as well as the action- adventure category. This game made me stay inside for two weeks, 25 hour days, skipping meals, sleep in my clothes, or stay awake in my PJ's, and made me anticipate harder and longer than I was for Bioshock 2, which was a big disappointment. This game is one that will stay in my library for many, many years, at least until Episode III of Half- Life comes out, as well as Portal 2. Expand

For first-person shooter fans, it doesn't get much better than this. What's even better is that each individual game runs amazingly well on the Xbox 360. The graphics are amazing as is the presentation. The interface that Valve created for navigating through the content is also wonderful.
    That so much great content is offered at the standard single-game price is astonishing.
  3. The Orange Box can't stop giving. It's a sci-fi masterpiece, a clever puzzler and a multiplayer monster wrapped into one, making this a landmark achievement in gaming value and one of the easiest buying decisions you'll make all year. Color us impressed.