8.9

1. DME
    Mar 21, 2011
    Team Fortress 2 is the only game of the five that I don't really like. Sure, the PC version is freakin' awesome but this XB360 version is definitely not. Portal was awesome and left me disappointed when I found out how short it was (about 4 hours worth) but even so... Half-Life 2 series is the best of the bunch with a great story and great gameplay. The only thing that's not top-notchTeam Fortress 2 is the only game of the five that I don't really like. Sure, the PC version is freakin' awesome but this XB360 version is definitely not. Portal was awesome and left me disappointed when I found out how short it was (about 4 hours worth) but even so... Half-Life 2 series is the best of the bunch with a great story and great gameplay. The only thing that's not top-notch about HL2 is it's sound effects, which I found poor at times. But don't let the small gripes outweight the incredible package that this game is! $20 is an AMAZING deal for this game. If you like FPS games... The Orange Box is for you. Expand
  2. Jun 21, 2011
    The best game on Xbox, bar none. The Orange Box has 5 truly brilliant games on one disc. Team Fortress 2 is a bloody, shouty shooter that's only flaw is it's small fan-base. With more support, it could be amazing. The three Half Life games are an example of how to make shooters constantly fun, always throwing around new ideas, always being supremely playable. Finally, Portal is a brand newThe best game on Xbox, bar none. The Orange Box has 5 truly brilliant games on one disc. Team Fortress 2 is a bloody, shouty shooter that's only flaw is it's small fan-base. With more support, it could be amazing. The three Half Life games are an example of how to make shooters constantly fun, always throwing around new ideas, always being supremely playable. Finally, Portal is a brand new (though at the time of writing, Portal 2 has been released) puzzle shooter that unique, yet fits in with the Half Life mythology. It's truly mind bending and simply unmissable. And, as is The Orange Box itself. A collection of five unmissable games in one unbeatable package. Get it! Expand
  3. Sep 25, 2010
    The original half life 2 that was released 4 years ago and is included in this package is worth the price of the entire package. If you rate this package lower then a 9 you just don't know what makes games fun.
  4. Oct 8, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the finest,immersive,clever game ever.
    i played this package for more than 90 hours now...
    portal is genial,the half life saga is simply the best fps ever made and team fortress 2 is one of the best multiplayer game available.
  5. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = Best Compilation disc . . . EVER!!!
  6. Nov 26, 2010
    Half-Life 2 on it's own is worth a million dollars let alone put with the genius that is portal. DO yourself a favour if you haven't played this get on it now.
  7. Jan 28, 2013
    You've read the reasons this game is an easy 10. Let's be honest here. And although it feels dated in some ways by now (obviously), it still is just so great.
  8. Mar 26, 2011
    Even considering its age.Half-life 2 is one the finest games ever made and still the benchmark in FPS's.Packed with the add-ons,(Portal especially)The Orange Box is truly excellent.
    For the younger Gen though,you may wonder what all the fuss is about considering that COD and Halo have most of your attention(I can't,for the life of me,figure out why)
  9. Mar 13, 2011
    How could this game be given anything other than 10? 5 fantastic games at no extra charge. Half Life 2 is a classic FPS with unparalleled level design and storytelling. Its following episodes continue this well. Team Fortress 2 is an addictive, frantic online shooter that only has a handful of maps, although the ones given are highly polished. The real showstopper here is Portal, a darklyHow could this game be given anything other than 10? 5 fantastic games at no extra charge. Half Life 2 is a classic FPS with unparalleled level design and storytelling. Its following episodes continue this well. Team Fortress 2 is an addictive, frantic online shooter that only has a handful of maps, although the ones given are highly polished. The real showstopper here is Portal, a darkly comedic and mind bending puzzle game. Its short length is a perfect fit, ensuring that it doesnt outstay its welcome. Glados is a magnificent video game creation, a character who uses dry wit, sarcasm and just about every other kind of humor to good effect with a hefty sprinkling of judgement. The Orange Box is incredible and you would be a fool to not buy it. Expand
  10. Mar 19, 2011
    Valve is one of my favorite game developer companies, and I now love them even more when they released "The Orange Box". The orange box includes Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. Let's start with Half-Life 2, Episode 1, and Episode 2. If you never played the first Half-Life and started the second, you might ask "WTF is theValve is one of my favorite game developer companies, and I now love them even more when they released "The Orange Box". The orange box includes Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. Let's start with Half-Life 2, Episode 1, and Episode 2. If you never played the first Half-Life and started the second, you might ask "WTF is the purpose of this game?" You really need to know the storyline of the Half-Life franchise or you'll be stuck in a confused territory. After playing "Portal", I now know what is my favorite puzzle game. I thought the timing of "Portal" was a bit too short and I wished it had harder puzzles. Team Fortress 2 is a class-based multiplayer that I love so much. I really love the style in Team Fortress 2. You might be thinking "This is going to be really expensive." Well you're wrong, because this whole package is less than $20. I really love the style in Team Fortress 2. Now the Verdict.

Valve always impresses my with their products and this product blew me away. This package would've easily cost "$60". You are getting a good deal. Please buy it!

+ 5 Games
    + Cheap
    + Creative Puzzle Game
    - Needed harder puzzles.

RATING: 9/10
  11. Jun 1, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyed this. 5 games in one game is great value for money. Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One and Half-Life 2: Episode Two are incredible games and the story is great and takes about 15-20 hours to complete them all. Portal 2 may now be out but Portal is still an incredible game, it challenges you and is often quite funny. Team Fortress 2 is a really good multiplayer gameThoroughly enjoyed this. 5 games in one game is great value for money. Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One and Half-Life 2: Episode Two are incredible games and the story is great and takes about 15-20 hours to complete them all. Portal 2 may now be out but Portal is still an incredible game, it challenges you and is often quite funny. Team Fortress 2 is a really good multiplayer game but unfortunately now does not have many players although you can usually get into full games if you are on at the right time. All in all, The Orange Box is one of the best games I have ever played and at the price it is to buy now, it's worth it. Expand
  12. Jun 14, 2011
    i have to give this 10 out of 10 due to the fact i am a big valve fan i love there games like l4d and l4d2 and tfc and so on there the best game creators to date tf2 is awesome hl2 hl2e1 and hl2e2 is my favourte single player games ever the grapics are very outdated on these games and so am i for reviewing the game 4 years after release. but hey will still play half-life 1.
  13. Jul 3, 2011
    In my opinion, the Orange box is the best game ever released. This game is a great deal, getting five really amazing games for a low price. You will not hate anything about this game, if you ever get it.
  14. Apr 28, 2012
    Essentially Portal and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 + 3 games you probably already own, but it's forgivable, because they're truthfully three of the best games on the market. Half-Life 2 and its episodes are a beacon of intelligent game design and compelling narrative, while Team Fortress 2 is a well balanced shooter, but lacks enough content to enthral any fps fan for too long, and you'll findEssentially Portal and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 + 3 games you probably already own, but it's forgivable, because they're truthfully three of the best games on the market. Half-Life 2 and its episodes are a beacon of intelligent game design and compelling narrative, while Team Fortress 2 is a well balanced shooter, but lacks enough content to enthral any fps fan for too long, and you'll find yourself being drawn back to much more populated games like Halo, Call of Duty and Battlefield. Portal...short, sweet, hilarious, intelligent and individual, a truly original piece of gaming that'll have you addicted from sublime start to perfect finish. Valve just really gets what it is that gamers want, you have to think to progress, these are games that involve the player, and that's what makes them so incredible Expand
  15. Jul 24, 2011
    Wow. Just wow. Valve has always been an amazing developer, all of their games I've played are fantastic. This just blew me away. I have to admit, I very recently picked this up. I know, my bad. I grabbed this collection, used, for $17.00. This is the best video game value I've seen, ever. I haven't played Half Life 2 up until now, but I finally see what the hype is about. That game aloneWow. Just wow. Valve has always been an amazing developer, all of their games I've played are fantastic. This just blew me away. I have to admit, I very recently picked this up. I know, my bad. I grabbed this collection, used, for $17.00. This is the best video game value I've seen, ever. I haven't played Half Life 2 up until now, but I finally see what the hype is about. That game alone is worth the $17.00. Then adding the amazing Portal, which needs no introduction, as well as Team Fortress is a great deal. Also, the Xbox ports are not bad like everyone says. Expand
  16. Aug 30, 2011
    The Orange Box is the best value ever. Half life 2 is amazing. Portal is a new fresh puzzle and TF2 is a great team based multiplayer game.
  17. Oct 17, 2011
    this is just the best package ever. granted portal is too short and team fortress looks dodgy, they are all great games at a very low price. excellent value and overall i think it is even better than blops, dead rising, fable 3 (by miles) and even guitar hero (for value)
  18. Jan 3, 2012
    Not really a game, but a compilation of several, both new and old. There's the Half LIfe 2 which I know and love so well and its Episode 1, plus the all new Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal, and, man, they are all simply awesome.
    Episode 2 brings back that epic quality and feel of Half-Life 2 and expands it to new dimensions.
    Team Fortress 2 is a really good and quirky multiplayer
    Team Fortress 2 is a really good and quirky multiplayer which probably requires gamers with at least half a brain.
    And lastly, Portal is the surprise package of the package, packing an intriguing and charming story, combined with fun and fresh gameplay into a short game.
    The Orange Box is unconventional, but Valve shows their prowess once again. Always a pleasure.
  19. Nov 6, 2011
    ive seen this game for the pc back in 2004 and it blew me away, i never played it till it hit the xbox, and lemme tell you, this is the best 1st person solo campaign i have evr witnessed. its jsut amazing, every aspect of the game is crazy. **** the whole package is a steal.... 5 games on a disk? come on now, thats too easy not to pass up... **** i dont think i should say more? **** buyive seen this game for the pc back in 2004 and it blew me away, i never played it till it hit the xbox, and lemme tell you, this is the best 1st person solo campaign i have evr witnessed. its jsut amazing, every aspect of the game is crazy. **** the whole package is a steal.... 5 games on a disk? come on now, thats too easy not to pass up... **** i dont think i should say more? **** buy this bih if you havent already Expand
  20. Nov 8, 2011
    It's games like this that show Valve is one of the only developing companies that demonstrate extraordinary consistency.

The Half Life series seems to have most every quality of a single player shooter that people receive well; original, great pacing, interesting environments, fun weapons, etc. Not only does it have those qualities that are just generally talked about, but it also the small amounts of polish added to the game to make it that much more enjoyable, and make no mistake; the small things matter, gamers are way to OCD to ignore the small things. I'm talking about the way set pieces are placed to where it doesn't take away control of the character when it comes time to explain the story. I see this as a very good median between those who are interested and less interested in the story. If we look at past releases that were extremely successful (Bioshock, Oblivion), it is obvious that gamers love freedom. Half Life does have more linear elements to it than open elements, however I would go as far to say that Half Life 2 has the based pacing for any other linear single player game I have played that I can remember.

Portal is one of those games where it's really hard to find something wrong with it. At least in Half Life you could probably FIND something to **** about, regardless of the fact it's a fantastic game. Portal has nothing against it; if it's your kind of game, you will LOVE it. I could not find one instance while playing through it where I found myself frustrated by things that were not necessarily dependent on my playing. So many games will have potential, but it will have crappy controls, or lack of polish, or it doesn't run smoothly enough, Portal is all good challenge. I suppose one could make the case that Portal is not original because it was based on a student made game called Narbacular Drop; my response to that is, which one did YOU play? (Exactly). There were other first person shooters before Doom and probably Wolfenstein, doesn't take away from those games one bit. It had no technical short comings, it was cleverly staged, amazingly creative in its puzzle and level design, it offered more of a challenge for more advanced players, and it had very decent humor (although I suppose that's subjective).

I'm not sure I should review Team Fortress 2, because I suck at it. Yet, I can also put credit to the game for still being a blast despite my terrible performance. I do think that they should not stray away from having everyone on a level playing field, which is what I felt made it significantly more balanced than Call of Duty. I don't know if they have always had the store, but I think that was a little step away from an aspect I liked about the game. I also think they could have done a better job of gauging the speed a each class should move based on their primary weapon(s). If I had to guess what makes TF2 as popular as it is, is the obvious reason that every multiplayer game should emulate; it is a shooter that most can just jump right into.

These games have all of the wow-factor and originality of a good game, except no one can touch Valve when it comes to polish, for it takes out all of the annoying nuances of a good game to turn it into a mediocre game. Stunning!
  21. Nov 15, 2011
    Just buy this package, you will enjoy the games immensely, plenty on gameplay hours, and the greatest hits Valve has ever made. Valve is awesome once again.
  22. Nov 20, 2011
    This is the best thing ever created. Considering the Half-Life series was my favorite game series to begin with there wasn't a chance i was not going to like this. I recommend this to anyone who likes video games in general. Your getting three Half-Life games which have an amazing story and are very fun to play, then you have Portal which is an awesome and extremely well made puzzle game,This is the best thing ever created. Considering the Half-Life series was my favorite game series to begin with there wasn't a chance i was not going to like this. I recommend this to anyone who likes video games in general. Your getting three Half-Life games which have an amazing story and are very fun to play, then you have Portal which is an awesome and extremely well made puzzle game, and last you have Team Fortress 2 which is a fun cartoon multiplayer game. Expand
  23. Nov 21, 2011
    It's a must play. I would have given it a 9, but with the addition of Portal...it's an absolute 10. There's also a 20gig expansion pack you can download that "freshens" up Half-LIfe 2, and is amazing. Highly recommended. Enjoy.
  24. Apr 3, 2012
    Great games. Great value. TF2 is kind of a useless add-on (for consoles that is). Otherwise if you haven't played any of HL2 and of course Portal, then get this!
  25. Mar 20, 2012
    You can pick up this game for around $10 now, which is probably the best game bargain out there. Even at it's original $50 price tag, it was more than worth it. You get 5 games, 5 FULL games. Each episode of Half-Life: 2 is easily a full game. Throw in Portal and Team Fortress 2 and you get the best compendium ever created. This game is impossible to rate at less than a 10; you won'tYou can pick up this game for around $10 now, which is probably the best game bargain out there. Even at it's original $50 price tag, it was more than worth it. You get 5 games, 5 FULL games. Each episode of Half-Life: 2 is easily a full game. Throw in Portal and Team Fortress 2 and you get the best compendium ever created. This game is impossible to rate at less than a 10; you won't get more for $10; Hell, you won't get more for $60 these days. Expand
  26. Apr 24, 2012
    When i bought this Box in 2007 i was mainly getting it for Half Life. I did not play it before and so i finally wanted to get my hands on it. It blew me away ... the game is absolutely amazing. The story is interesting, the characters memorable, the graphics are still great today and the gameplay is just spot-on.

But before i even got to Half Life I tried out Portal because I was told it

But before i even got to Half Life I tried out Portal because I was told it was pretty short... and so I played through it in 1 sitting. This is absolutely one of the best games ever created. The puzzles themselves are enough to sell the game even at full price. But what makes this game so outstanding is the dialogue and the humor. This game is touching and made me laugh out loud multiple times ... the end almost made me cry. This game is just brilliance.

Team Fortress 2 was probably what I was least interested in ... but let me tell you something : I still play it. It has no single player and no real goal or anything, but just the incredibly fun gameplay is enough to keep you playing for years.

Overall : This would be worth tripple the amount they charge you for ... or even more. I would happily buy this box for 100â
  27. Jan 26, 2014
    This review is mainly for Half-Life 2 and its episodes.

Half-Life 2 is one of the best games I've played in a long time and The Orange Box has to be the best game/bundle I've played on the 360. Why is it so good? Presentation: Eventhough these are all old games, the graphics still look pretty good. Especially Episode Two and Portal hold up fine. The best thing however are the
    This review is mainly for Half-Life 2 and its episodes.

Presentation:
    Eventhough these are all old games, the graphics still look pretty good. Especially Episode Two and Portal hold up fine. The best thing however are the physics. It has an amazing physics engine that is one of the best in gaming (even today), break wood, move cars, throw rocks, it's all there.
    The presentation aside from the engine is excellent too: the eerie music, creepy sounds and believable world all make for a very immersive experience, one that not many games can top.
    The story is also were Half-Life 2 shines. You really bond with the characters and your mission to defeat the Combine (or is it to protect Alyx?).

GAMEPLAY:
    Half-Life 2 and Portal are extremely innovative games that make use of their great engine. They are linear games yet leave the clues to progression up to you.

VERDICT:
    + Fantastic story and characters
    + Fun and innovative physics based gameplay
    + Creepy setting, atmosphere and attention to detail

Half-Life 2 is one of the best games I've played.
    (3 main categories in my review, 3 big plus points, I mentioned HL2 5 times. Half life 2. 5-2=3. Half Life 3 confirmed?)
  28. May 27, 2012
    A masterpiece. One of gamings best offerings. A gaming experienced that will be remembered for a lifetime. Mind blowing. Superb. Revolutionary. Another all time fav. Of mine
  29. Oct 27, 2012
    Truly the best deal in gaming history! A rarity in gaming in that the characters are interesting. Game-play, graphics and story are all marvelous! Often disappointed by sequels but was so happy that this was good.
  30. Aug 4, 2012
    All 5 games on this disc are winners. Half Life 2 is one of the best games of the decade and stands up even now roughly 7 years later. Portal is an original and interesting puzzle game that does not disappoint but sadly it's about 3 hrs on your first run through, I've gotten it down to about an hour and a half. Team Fortress 2 is very fun but I wish they'd bring the updates that it got onAll 5 games on this disc are winners. Half Life 2 is one of the best games of the decade and stands up even now roughly 7 years later. Portal is an original and interesting puzzle game that does not disappoint but sadly it's about 3 hrs on your first run through, I've gotten it down to about an hour and a half. Team Fortress 2 is very fun but I wish they'd bring the updates that it got on the PC to the Xbox. Half Life 2 and it's episodes are all amazing, my one complaint are the many loading screens, while short they can break up the action. Another gripe is that if you are going for all Gold Medals on Portal Challenges is that the challenge times and steps were not converted for the Xbox controller. The mouse and keyboard allow for much faster and accurate movement that a standard controller can not provide, making some challenges almost impossible without using cheat codes.

So in conclusion:
    Fantastic games, highly recommend
    Dirt cheap now, you can't go wrong
    Some Portal Challenges haven't ported well to consoles
    No updates to TF2

This is a must buy and one of my favorite games of all time, the best DEAL in gaming history. Half Life 2 took me about 15 hrs my first time through. Both episodes are about 5-6 hrs each. Portal, about 3 hrs on your first play through. Team Fortress 2 has a lot of replay value but with about 6 maps it can get old.

So if you beat all the single player games you'll sink in about 30 hrs + However long you spend on TF2. Not counting all 99 achievements for this game (I got all of them and it took me quite a while) this should keep you occupied for quite a while.

For first-person shooter fans, it doesn't get much better than this. What's even better is that each individual game runs amazingly well on the Xbox 360. The graphics are amazing as is the presentation. The interface that Valve created for navigating through the content is also wonderful.
    That so much great content is offered at the standard single-game price is astonishing.
  3. The Orange Box can't stop giving. It's a sci-fi masterpiece, a clever puzzler and a multiplayer monster wrapped into one, making this a landmark achievement in gaming value and one of the easiest buying decisions you'll make all year. Color us impressed.