7.6

1. Dec 30, 2012
    Amateurish at best. The game greets you first of all with a notice that autosaves are not a part of the game, so "don't forget to save manually!". Obviously an easy way out for lazy developers, and let me say, there seems to be plenty of those. After the awkward controls, the sub-par voice acting and the ridiculous first tutorial plotline (a trained monkey steals a necklace by cutting glass with a diamond) I just turned it off.

Sherlock is a great franchise and you should be ashamed for this.
  2. Sep 26, 2012
    This game is not anything special. The graphics are so and so, the plot is decent, the game,altogether, okay. I wouldn't spend forty dollars on a game like this. Maybe twenty-five, i think the makers had a hard time deciding on some things in the game. If you like Sherlock Holmes, and your bored, this may be a good game for you. Otherwise, i don't recommend it.
  3. Oct 23, 2012
    I didn't like this game as much as the Jack The Ripper game. I just didn't think it captured the atmosphere as much as the other game. The puzzles didn't seem as much fun or as challenging. It was an easy 1000 points so if you need to boost your gamer score it is a pretty fun way to get a quick 1000 but it won't be a game that you keep or play again. Also the children in the intro are creepy and unnecessary. Expand
  4. Sep 28, 2012
    Great game. This game is all about puzzles-solving, you really feel like a great detective, for fans of sherlock holmes is a must buy. For me the best game of holmes so far. The real Sherlock Holmes is back not that ridiculous Holmes from the modern movies copying the james bond style.
  5. Sep 27, 2012
    Loved the game, best yet of the series, you can see how they are constantly learning from the previous games and adjusting the difficulty, complexity and variation of the levels, puzzles and progression.

Unique story featuring a classic twist.
  6. Nov 14, 2012
    I am a big fan of this game. It looks beautiful, the story is fascinating and the puzzles challenging. The campaign took me around 15 hours to beat and I had fun the whole time. Sherlock Holmes is a much more disturbed character this time around, making him more interesting. If you enjoyed his previous adventures, this game is a step up in every way.
  7. May 9, 2013
    Okay so I've just finished The Testament of Sherlock Holmes the video game. Here is my review. I give it a 4.5 out of 10 due to the fact of simple graphics and poor game play as well as a general lack of open game play. This is the first game I ever bought used that I'm glad the company who made this will never see a dime.

Okay lets tackle the first thing that annoyed me in this game.
    The lack of instructions. Every time you had to do a minigame it just said solve the mini game. Which got very annoying and since they aren't repetitive, I keep saying what do I have to do here? Even as I looked this up on youtube to try to solve them, the narrations of the people where highly confused taking them on average 6 or 7 minutes to figure it out what you needed to do and then another 6 to 10 just solving it even after they themselves looked it up on the internet.
    Another thing besides the minigames that confused me were the items and how they were used. Near the ending it got better because they became more obvious, like a ladder just standing 3 feet away from a window with an action icon next to it. But in the game you had to go to an attic tear open a magician's cloak, which was in a locked trunk, get the keys that will open anything sewn into the cloak on the inside after turning the cloak upsidedown manually which the stitch you had to pull could barely be seen due to poor lighting and bad graphics, just to open a tool shed which you could have used a crowbar on, (which was in your inventory) in real life.

Next were the graphics. It irked me that this game looked like it should have been in the N64 era of gaming. No real detail in anything including the faces or even in the cut scenes. This game was clearly never about good graphics.

Last but not least the non open play that the game states on the cover. This game promises to be an open game where you can interrogate who ever you want and do what ever you want. That is a bold faced lie. You have to do everything down to the exact detail of what they wanted of you and if you do not do it, you can not progress in the story. You can't even guess at combinations. You have to find the paper with the combination on it, decode it, find some key to unlock it as well and then come back and put it in. It is like that for almost every lock in the game. It's a nice feature but it gets so repetitive and annoying after the first 2 times you do it.
  8. Dec 14, 2013
    A Sherlock Holmes game is always compelling, and so even after seeing the sub-par graphics, experiencing the awkward controls, and completing the ridiculous trained-monkey-steals-a-necklace tutorial, I wanted to give it a go. Yet, as I continued with the game I became more and more disappointed.

To make up for the graphics and control, I expected the game to at least have decent
    character development, a compelling plot, and intellectually stimulating mysteries/puzzles. I quickly realized that there is nothing endearing about Holmes and Watson as they are presented in this game. I felt luke-warm at best towards these characters, and at times became incredibly annoyed at Holmes--it was a far cry from, say, Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal. As for the plot, it was intriguing in the beginning when I was still waiting for it to unfold, but soon became so-so--something you could find in pretty much any average mystery paperback. As for the mysteries/puzzles, I did have fun combing the scene of the Bishop's murder.
    There are some decent puzzles in this game, and it's not an entirely bad thing

Voice acting's okay. [Issue#91, p.79]
    A game so scary, even it doesn't know what it is. [Dec 2012, p.101]
  3. Oct 19, 2012
    Adventure game fans may be delighted by this return to the old-school style game from Frogwares. However, more casual fans of the genre may find Telltale's approach more accessible and graphically strong. Fans of the genre, or of prior entries in the series, will probably want to pick it up, for everyone else it may be an anachronistic curiosity.