8.6

1. Oct 24, 2015
    Telltale has done an amazing job on this game. It takes the popular Walking Dead universe of the comics and gives gamers an incredible tale. One that allows hardcore Walking Dead fans to directly interact with the universe they love in a personal way. Decision making is a key aspect of this game and it pulls players into it's world and story in ways few other games have.

There is a set

There is a set outcome to the tale. The fates of Lee and his fellow survivors are largely already planned out. However that doesn't mean these decisions don't mean anything. They affect how scenarios play out even in the strictest of scripted moments. Your choices will influence what characters think of you and often who lives or dies. Your actions not only shape the character of Lee, but those around him as well. It's pretty powerful stuff that makes your choices meaningful even if there are things in the story that are just going to happen no matter what.

The tale is emotional and dark. Filled with believable characters and moments that make your decisions matter in ways few other games are capable of. The real hook of the story though comes from the relationship between Lee and Clementine. That little girls is under your protection and the bond between the characters is chosen by you. There is an almost instant emotional connection established between the player and Clementine, just as there is between the two characters. That's an incredible strength the game has.

Despite being set in the comic universe, the way the game is set up references the show. It's an episodic experience. You complete one episode and move on to the next with all of your choices carrying over to the next episode(s). At the beginning and end of every episode you'll get a "previously on The Walking Dead" or "Next time on The Walking Dead" complete with scenes from that episode. It's a cool way to reference the show. However that's not all of the treat hardcore fans of the show and comic have in store for them. Several great cameos and subtle references are sure to bring a smile to the face of the fans.

The majority of the gameplay does consist of making decisions or choosing dialog options that influence elements of the story, often in surprising ways. However plenty of puzzles, action-packed quick-time events, and deadly shooting sections help ensure that you are doing more than just listening and reading all of the time. Puzzles are never difficult. Usually they have straightforward solutions that are easy to figure out. However they are still fun to play thanks to cool ideas and some great settings.

Telltale has created an emotionally impactful game. One that's filled with tough choices to make, fun gameplay, and plenty of references for fans. It's a must play for Walking Dead fans and anyone who enjoys gaming with a fantastic story. It's an all around masterpiece and a game I can't recommend highly enough. It's a lot more than just a game for Walking Dead fanatics. You don't have to be familiar with the material at all to enjoy it. It's just that well-crafted an experience.

After averaging out each score I gave the individual episodes, I give the season as a whole a 9.1/10.
  2. Jan 19, 2013
    Telltale Games have created a niche for themselves where their graphic adventure titles such as Sam and Max and Back to the Future. The Walking Dead Season 1 takes this formula to create an interactive movie. To be honest there is very little actual gameplay to be spoken of other than the odd simple puzzle to solve.

Fortunately however the creators have managed to create an engrossing

Fortunately however the creators have managed to create an engrossing tale full of interesting characters and, although your choices actually have very little on the overall plot, they do have an impact on the way the other characters think of you. As a result most gamers will quickly become invested in the events that transpire and with some truly unexpected twists and turns along the way most players will be compelled to see Season One right through to its conclusion.
  3. Mar 13, 2017
    En préambule, qu'il me soit permis de vilipender comme il se doit le principe des jeux en épisodes, une couillonnade débectante et le lot pour ne pas dire la marque des développeurs opportunistes et minables. Ensuite, permettez-moi de conchier cette foire aux QTE, ces graphismes de fond de poubelle, cette VO marshmallow et une interface à tout le moins problématique à la manette. Quant àEn préambule, qu'il me soit permis de vilipender comme il se doit le principe des jeux en épisodes, une couillonnade débectante et le lot pour ne pas dire la marque des développeurs opportunistes et minables. Ensuite, permettez-moi de conchier cette foire aux QTE, ces graphismes de fond de poubelle, cette VO marshmallow et une interface à tout le moins problématique à la manette. Quant à l'histoire elle-même de cette BD à l'interactivité presse-bouton très limitée, elle ne casse pas des briques, loin de là ! Même Heavy Rain faisait mieux... Je ne connais pas la BD originale mais elle ne peut certainement pas être pire que cette abjecte saison de non-jeu. Expand
  4. Mar 6, 2014
    walking dead video game is brilliant expect the fact where the challenges are hard also getting the weapons . but this is a great game and i love the zombies and the gore
  5. Mar 11, 2013
    As a game it really is weak. It gives you the illusion of choice, but in reality it more or less always ends up in the same place and the story's conclusion really does leave you wondering what was the point of all the decisions. As a story, it is very good and delivers a great narrative (even though there are a few small inconsistencies.) Visually it is very pretty but tends to focus moreAs a game it really is weak. It gives you the illusion of choice, but in reality it more or less always ends up in the same place and the story's conclusion really does leave you wondering what was the point of all the decisions. As a story, it is very good and delivers a great narrative (even though there are a few small inconsistencies.) Visually it is very pretty but tends to focus more on the the character animation than than anything else. Characters are very well thought out, but ultimately the game leaves you wondering why did they bother building most of them up. I will give it credit for having some really shock worthy moments and some really unexpected twists. But once you've seen them once, the novelty has worn off. Overall: This isn't really a game but rather an interactive story. Choice in this game is an illusion, but one good enough to keep you going until the end. I recommend getting this, but rather treat it as a spin-off show than an actual game. Expand
  6. Jan 19, 2014
    Telltale's The Walking Dead is absolutely amazing! This choose-your-own-adventure-esque zombie games provides a fantastic story that has plenty of emotional depth as well as some jump-out-of-your-seat scares. Featuring characters that players can care for (that are fantastically well-acted of course), players can fully immerse themselves into the experience that is The Walking Dead game.Telltale's The Walking Dead is absolutely amazing! This choose-your-own-adventure-esque zombie games provides a fantastic story that has plenty of emotional depth as well as some jump-out-of-your-seat scares. Featuring characters that players can care for (that are fantastically well-acted of course), players can fully immerse themselves into the experience that is The Walking Dead game. You may be thinking why have I not given this game a 10 out of 10. Well, the game certainly has some technical hiccups, such as the occasional bad frame rate, tedious load times and other glitches like that. But those technical flaws aside, The Walking Dead is a must play and an experience worth experiencing. NOTE: The game might leave you in tears by the end. Expand
  7. May 30, 2015
    There is not much to say about this game, his strength already enough, his plot reaches the edge of understanding, is a complete human drama and full of memorable moments, perhaps in the coming years, this game becomes a classic, by unless already entered history.
  8. Jan 29, 2016
    Telltales' The Walking Dead is one of the best games of our generation. Real consequences for your actions, gripping story, amazing character development, and that ending made me want to cry, if you've already bought the terrible Survival Instinct, use it a a drink coaster while you play this masterpiece. This game makes me even more exited for The Wolf Among Us. Buy this game.
  9. Dec 23, 2012
    OK so I have written a review for each individual episode already. But this game, this game is the best game to have been produced in a long time. The last game that made me feel this way about characters and my decisions was Heavy Rain back in 2010 and this could arguably do it better. The Walking Dead sets itself in the comic book universe, not the TV one. You play as Lee Everett, aOK so I have written a review for each individual episode already. But this game, this game is the best game to have been produced in a long time. The last game that made me feel this way about characters and my decisions was Heavy Rain back in 2010 and this could arguably do it better. The Walking Dead sets itself in the comic book universe, not the TV one. You play as Lee Everett, a convicted murder being sent to jail. As the escort car crashes Lee is knocked unconscious, upon awakening he finds himself in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. After being rescued by a little girl named Clementine, Lee promises to take her to Savannah to find her parents. Along the way you'll meet Kenny, Duck, Ben, Omid, Christa, Katja, Chuck and so many more characters including Herschel Greene and Glen from the comics. As you travel across America you learn the true value of having someone to love, someone to care for, forgiveness, revenge and how to diffuse a sticky situation. You will encounter a blackmailer, cannibals, suicidal's and people wanting to watch Lee curl up and die before their eyes.
    The Walking Dead is a truly astounding game, emotionally engaging and a well deserved winner of GOTY 2012. A game that everyone must play.
  10. Mar 9, 2013
    This is a truly phenomenal gaming experience. Deeply immersive thanks to flawless voice acting and script and the way your every choice effects the way you progress. I was expecting great things from Telltale games after having enjoyed their monkey island games but they've really gone all out here. Has an old school feel to it to due to the adventure aspect, which is really refreshing.This is a truly phenomenal gaming experience. Deeply immersive thanks to flawless voice acting and script and the way your every choice effects the way you progress. I was expecting great things from Telltale games after having enjoyed their monkey island games but they've really gone all out here. Has an old school feel to it to due to the adventure aspect, which is really refreshing. It's completely unique, innovative, and I just can't praise it enough really. I feel like I'm actually living in a zombie apocalypse when I play it. Intense and brilliant. Expand
  11. Dec 23, 2013
    the walking dead is absolutely an terrific game,the story is amazing and i liked a lot the choice system,the only problem is thatis an point and click game.
  12. Mar 6, 2017
    The game that made me a fan of TellTale games. I bought this as it reminded me of the old Broken Sword style of games only this was set in the Walking dead universe and as a fan of the series it was worth a look. Well this game is more than worth a look it is amazing and a must play game.
  13. Jun 24, 2013
    The Walking Dead is not just a game, rather it is an experience that all gamers should undertake. Everything from the amazing characters to the tragic setting help aid this game's outstanding story and premise. The beginning will instantly hook you as you're immediately thrown into a world gone to chaos. Any game that can bring a tear to my eye gets special recognition from me. A must play.
  14. Jan 21, 2015
    This game is fun in all, but needs plenty of work

PROS
    -Great story
    -nice graphics

CONS
    -boring gameplay

Worth buying the first episode, but not the rest.
  15. Apr 16, 2013
    This game is in my opinion, a cult classic in gaming history. No matter who you are, you should play this game. Everything about this game is flawless, original, gripping, perfection. Voice acting was at an all time high for this, your decisions really suck you in and make you pay the consequences. This game has everything...
  16. Apr 5, 2013
    I haven't played a game with so much emotional interaction and player's choice as this one in a long time. The game play is rather simple in such a way that you locate objects and interact with them to progress through the game as cutscenes play out. Conversation is also an important role as you and your fellow survivors begin to bond or become antagonists along the way. I've read someI haven't played a game with so much emotional interaction and player's choice as this one in a long time. The game play is rather simple in such a way that you locate objects and interact with them to progress through the game as cutscenes play out. Conversation is also an important role as you and your fellow survivors begin to bond or become antagonists along the way. I've read some who say that there isn't any real player choice, and yet, having to choose who to save and let the other person be eaten is a very profound choice that you'll find yourself making. Considering the price for the overall series and the payoff in entertainment that you'll receive, this game is a must have. Expand
  17. Aug 1, 2013
    I normally don't like this type of game but I liked it very much. Big fan of The Walking Dead series. This game was very fun, although I got stuck at times because I'm an idiot. lol
  18. May 23, 2015
    Telltale Games’ The Walking Dead (season one, which is essentially the first game) offers not just something that’s unique but something that’s great. It’s a decision-based game mixed with a well-crafted point-and-click adventure. The game was made to look like the comic book but follows its own story. As Lee, a man who was being tried for murder just before the zombie apocalypse, you meetTelltale Games’ The Walking Dead (season one, which is essentially the first game) offers not just something that’s unique but something that’s great. It’s a decision-based game mixed with a well-crafted point-and-click adventure. The game was made to look like the comic book but follows its own story. As Lee, a man who was being tried for murder just before the zombie apocalypse, you meet up with new survivors as you watch over a girl named Clementine. Your morals are used time and time again during your adventure. Plot twists are around every corner as you fight for survival, sometimes making decisions without thinking due to the limited time provided to make them, which is realistic. The survivors you’re with change frequently and the situations you’re in are consistently unique from each other so things don’t get stale. My only real complaints: this game has too many glitches and it stutters and loads too frequently. So are you a generous helping hand or a cold survivor? It's up to you! Expand
  19. DME
    Jan 18, 2013
    It's more of an interactive movie than a video game. But, if you're okay with that, it has an excellent story and great voice acting. Lots of cool moments and it's especially interesting to see how your choices affect them. The only flaw I found in this game is it's persistent framerate drops during cutscenes. (In other words, the animations lag a lot).
  20. Feb 24, 2013
    This this is barely playable.
    Episodes 1 and 2 were fine although very laggy. but once you finish episode 2 the game freezes and won't let you play episode 3. and you even have to restart episode 2!
    I like the idea of this game but it's just unplayable...
  21. Jan 17, 2014
    The Walking Dead By Telltale Games Is least enjoyable for me i did not enjoy this game that much the gameplay is one things that was good however the way you play is very confuse i was at were you have find the health aid kt to a guy and i was just so confuse i dont know were it was or is but im not going enjoy playing this game in the future
  22. May 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game has its moment. I never liked children, but this game made me care about Clementine so much, she is the sunshine. Every time I had to make a decision, I will think about what is good for Clementine first. The story writing (in the video game) is phenomenal, and since I stopped believing choice matters in a video game after ME3, I had no compliant about the choices/how it affect the ending in this game. No complaint, however, since this game based on choices which doesn't really matter at all, the game has no reply value for me. But one good play-through is enough for me to recommend this game to everyone. I think I started to love this game in episode two, that human-flesh eating scene is totally surprising and shocking. The last decision you had to make, (either make Clem to kill or not) is the toughest one, and the only one I became so selfish and think about 'me' first. Well, I should let Clem save that one bullet for later, it might save her life. Expand
  23. May 30, 2013
    This game is so wonderful that word's can't do it justice. It has some of the greatest character development ever, a attention grabbing story and I've played through it several times over. I've never liked point and click games, but this is one of my favorites. Only reason I can't give it a 10 is because it isn't as open as I'd like. What I mean is, no matter what you do, the same overallThis game is so wonderful that word's can't do it justice. It has some of the greatest character development ever, a attention grabbing story and I've played through it several times over. I've never liked point and click games, but this is one of my favorites. Only reason I can't give it a 10 is because it isn't as open as I'd like. What I mean is, no matter what you do, the same overall thing happens. There is different dialogue for each choice you make, but it would've been cool to have a completely different ending if you would've played the game in a different way. Bottom line. Buy this game. Expand
  24. Dec 8, 2013
    I know, its very stupid to put a 0 to a masterpiece
    but the point is THE GAMEPLAY IS HORRIBLE
    THIS GAME COULD BE FUN BUT IS LIKE A MIX
    OF MASS EFFET WITH HEAVY RAIN I DONT LIKE IT
    ANYWAY,I MUST ADMITE THAT IS MASTER PIECE
    BUT I DONT KNOW,THIS GAME IS NOT FOR ME
  25. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Cell shaded graphics; there not the best looking either, they are average. 7.

Sound: Nice themes, grade, “A” voice acting, although some of the voices aren’t synced properly, and at times the game scene will completely halt, and then a different scene will pop up and the sound just blasts in without a fade or anything to make it unnoticeable. The game will completely pause a scene just to load a new scene of the same environment. 8.

Gameplay: The game is more of a point and click adventure, but it does have some shooting scenes. There are dialog decisions that are timed, similar to the first Mass Effect. The decisions make a huge impact in the overall gameplay. This game is truly Telltale Games best point and click ever. Most of the game is broken down by environments that need exploring, and dialog to figure out the next move. This was definitely one of the best point and click adventures ever. 10.

Story: The story is amazing, it’s just so intense, and the decision made change the way the story pans out. Definitely worth playing, and the episodes can be played more than once with different results. 10.
    Lasting Appeal/Value: Definitely worth getting, and at least playing through once. The game is $15 and usually has been going on sale. Each episode is about 3 hours, with the final episode about 1.5 hours. 10.

Overall Score: 9 out of 10.
  26. Dec 29, 2012
    One of the best games iv'e played since iv'e been gaming. An engaging story line with a great selection of characters makes this the best story driven game iv'e ever played. The game play is simple and a bit lacking but telltale has proven that you don't need great game play to make a great game. You need a great story with characters that you will care for and remember for years to come.One of the best games iv'e played since iv'e been gaming. An engaging story line with a great selection of characters makes this the best story driven game iv'e ever played. The game play is simple and a bit lacking but telltale has proven that you don't need great game play to make a great game. You need a great story with characters that you will care for and remember for years to come. It also won game of the year which was very well deserved in my opinion. Expand
  27. Oct 24, 2013
    One of the most engrossing and captivating stories ever told. Some may say this barely qualifies as a videogame due to a lack of interactivity but you do play a large portion of the title directing your characters and interacting with the environment. The choices you make may not change the overall outcome of the story but it is huge fun just being absorbed in the gripping narrative andOne of the most engrossing and captivating stories ever told. Some may say this barely qualifies as a videogame due to a lack of interactivity but you do play a large portion of the title directing your characters and interacting with the environment. The choices you make may not change the overall outcome of the story but it is huge fun just being absorbed in the gripping narrative and just waiting to see what happens next.

It is definitely worth playing through a few times to experience all possibilities and if season 2 can add more depth and choice; we'll have another stunning and thrilling game to explore.
  28. May 2, 2014
    For a comic book I took control of it's pretty good. If considered a game... not as much. I really did enjoy the story, although I wish my actions had more effect on it in the long run. It really did bring out some genuine emotions in this here dad. For gameplay purposes an inverted camera option would've been helpful, but I won't bust it's balls too bad for it. Not sure how manyFor a comic book I took control of it's pretty good. If considered a game... not as much. I really did enjoy the story, although I wish my actions had more effect on it in the long run. It really did bring out some genuine emotions in this here dad. For gameplay purposes an inverted camera option would've been helpful, but I won't bust it's balls too bad for it. Not sure how many seasons this can hold my interest, though. A lot of slow walking back and forth that adds nothing but game length. Expand
  29. Oct 14, 2013
    This game series brings to light an old argument over what qualities of a game matter the most. Does gameplay make a videogame worth playing or does the story? With this divergent entry in the Walking Dead universe, Telltale presents us with compelling characters, difficult choices, and a path we help to create. They've placed all their eggs in the story basket. In doing so, the gameplayThis game series brings to light an old argument over what qualities of a game matter the most. Does gameplay make a videogame worth playing or does the story? With this divergent entry in the Walking Dead universe, Telltale presents us with compelling characters, difficult choices, and a path we help to create. They've placed all their eggs in the story basket. In doing so, the gameplay such as quicktime events and slow exploration is bland and not very entertaining. But the conversations, the choices, and the personalities keep you playing. You'll have a hard time putting your controller down because much like the television series, you won't be able to wait for what comes next. Telltale did the Walking Dead justice, but I do wish the game part of the game was better. Expand
  30. Apr 4, 2013
    Good: Nice Comic Graphics, Intresting Gameplay,Fantastic Story, Good Moral Choices, Actual good Gameplay, Fluid Presentation, A l t of Replayability
    Bad: Some Annoying Glitches, Camera is sometimes at awkward angles, Some Really Annoying Sections.

A Great Game and a Good price For What You Get.

1. Edge Magazine
    Jan 29, 2013
    This series offered some of the most memorable hours we spent holding a gamepad during 2012. [Feb 2013, p.102]
  2. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Jan 29, 2013
    A masterclass in how to tell stories in games. [Issue#94, p.80]
  3. Jan 7, 2013
    Engaging, dramatic, touching: The Walking Dead is one of this year's masterpieces. Absolutely a must-have.