8.5

1. DME
    Jan 18, 2013
    It's more of an interactive movie than a video game. But, if you're okay with that, it has an excellent story and great voice acting. Lots of cool moments and it's especially interesting to see how your choices affect them. The only flaw I found in this game is it's persistent framerate drops during cutscenes. (In other words, the animations lag a lot).
  2. Dec 19, 2012
    The Walking Dead is powerful BECAUSE it's a video game. Though it may not often feel like one. The choices you make feel real. The consequences resonate in your heart. The characters transcend polygons. They become your friends. Telltale shows just how powerful this medium can be. Through the gameplay, you become Lee. You care for Clementine (one of the most brilliantly written charactersThe Walking Dead is powerful BECAUSE it's a video game. Though it may not often feel like one. The choices you make feel real. The consequences resonate in your heart. The characters transcend polygons. They become your friends. Telltale shows just how powerful this medium can be. Through the gameplay, you become Lee. You care for Clementine (one of the most brilliantly written characters EVER). Movies and books do this to an extent. But nothing like Telltale's The Walking Dead. The barrier is shattered. And that's what ultimately makes it so heartbreakingly beautiful. Expand
  3. Dec 29, 2012
    It baffles me why people consider this game to be the best of the year. There's nothing in this game that hasn't been done before and its linearity and weak gameplay are really off-putting.
  4. Jan 7, 2013
    These guys have good writers and the TellTale engine supports doing that; writing directly to gamers a zombie movie in so many parts is successful and this is one of the few games I'm on my second time through and limited it may be replay wise I just love the different ways to get my characters killed and chose to slay. The comic series is a good playground for writing plays and this isThese guys have good writers and the TellTale engine supports doing that; writing directly to gamers a zombie movie in so many parts is successful and this is one of the few games I'm on my second time through and limited it may be replay wise I just love the different ways to get my characters killed and chose to slay. The comic series is a good playground for writing plays and this is very much like seeing a play with button clicks and dramatic choices you imagine in the comic's atmosphere. If you want a single player puzzler this isn't it. I've played Myst even read the novels and loved it, this is just different in its scope and delivery. If you want non-linear gameplay or rpg this isn't it. Its a narrative from start to finish and you don't get side quests for rewards and extra characters because its a story without that as its features. I see a lot of 10's and a few 0's and I want to prevent fellow gamers from spending money on something without knowing its origins or why certain aspects are relevant. Follow the story of a man with a couple choices in a zombie apocalypse. If you don't like graphic novels you might not like playing one literally. Expand
  5. Feb 11, 2013
    This is the best game I've played in weeks. Graphics, sound, gore, plot, gameplay, controls. All top notch. And the way it ties back into the plot of the TV series is incredible.
  6. Feb 12, 2013
    Where's the game? This is essentially a choose your own adventure comic book. The format was tired in the early 80s with Space Ace and Dragon's Lair and it's no more enjoyable today 30 years later.

The story is engaging but the pacing is terrible as it stops while the player tries to solve a puzzle. The game is non existent, limited to finding and using items in puzzles that a 5 year old could solve and mashing buttons in QTEs. We are a looooong way away from the cryptic imagination high of Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island. The much hyped "real consequences" are smoke and mirrors. Choosing who to save and who to let die has no real consequence, the game keeps on going and presents the same puzzles and story in the next scene. Player choice is rigidly restricted and often what the player wants to do and would choose to do in that situation is not presented as a choice so they are forced to pick an option which doesn't resonate with them emotionally thereby reducing further emotional attachment to both characters and story.

They should have released this as a non interactive mini web based series like The Guild. If you want a fun zombie game with an emotional response, play Left4Dead and read the wall graffiti. Now THATs how you tell a story without sacrificing the game.
  7. Jan 18, 2013
    This game has a gripping and fast-paced story, with beautiful detail and memorable characters. It is a welcome and long-overdue change of pace from your standard shoot-em-up zombie game. Plus, it is easy to play and has an intuitive interface.

The Walking Dead is one of the few games that I've played in recent memory that not only evoked an emotional response from me, but that I completed from start to finish. Because I am an older gamer with three young kids, that is a luxury I can rarely afford. This game was worth it. I would highly recommend it to older, more experienced gamers that want to have an engaging experience without the stress of competitive gameplay.
  8. Mar 4, 2013
    This is outstanding storytelling and character building on display and it carries the entire game. The Graphics are decent and have a nice style, but sadly the animation is terrible and the cut scenes are often choppy. Telltale has always been extremely bad at things that are as basic as lip sync and walking animations (the characters look like they are skating on ice and not natural) andThis is outstanding storytelling and character building on display and it carries the entire game. The Graphics are decent and have a nice style, but sadly the animation is terrible and the cut scenes are often choppy. Telltale has always been extremely bad at things that are as basic as lip sync and walking animations (the characters look like they are skating on ice and not natural) and it boggles my mind that they haven't upped their game by now. For a simple game of decision making and a few action sequences, you would think that they could at least have it run smoothly. The ONLY saving grace which makes this game incredible is the story and the voice acting which is so strong that it makes up for these shortfalls. Hopefully, Telltale will not lean on this crutch again though, because without it it is clear to see that they are way behind the times. This game was way better than their other games based on beloved franchises that they are cashing in on, but they need to realize that if they spent the extra effort to really optimize the experience they could not only create something memorable, but truly flawless. ---Sorry but there should NOT be objects that are clipping and disappearing during cut scenes and flickering textures. It is just lazy--- with all of that said though, the story is still very fun and keeps you wanting to play through the end. It is worth a play, just don't expect a polished all round experience. Expand
  9. Jan 5, 2013
    This game was a real treat, and I dont even like most point-and-click type games in the first place. If youre a fan of the show then you'll definitely like this for sure- its like an interactive season of the show- its that good!!!
  10. Mar 9, 2013
    This is a truly phenomenal gaming experience. Deeply immersive thanks to flawless voice acting and script and the way your every choice effects the way you progress. I was expecting great things from Telltale games after having enjoyed their monkey island games but they've really gone all out here. Has an old school feel to it to due to the adventure aspect, which is really refreshing.This is a truly phenomenal gaming experience. Deeply immersive thanks to flawless voice acting and script and the way your every choice effects the way you progress. I was expecting great things from Telltale games after having enjoyed their monkey island games but they've really gone all out here. Has an old school feel to it to due to the adventure aspect, which is really refreshing. It's completely unique, innovative, and I just can't praise it enough really. I feel like I'm actually living in a zombie apocalypse when I play it. Intense and brilliant. Collapse
  11. Jan 13, 2014
    Captures the essence of The Walking Dead Comic Book perfectly!

This game is truly a masterpiece. The Walking Dead has fantastic gameplay that relies on the player choices moreso than anything else and the game benefits from this as there are many heart-pounding sections that require quick thinking or else the Zombies kill one of your extremeley likeable comrades! These characters are
    Captures the essence of The Walking Dead Comic Book perfectly!

These characters are even better written than they are in the TV Show and engage the player into their unique back stories that are inextricably linked to the present events. Everything feels right; not a single objective in the game seems pointless. Character development here is one of the best in this medium as each character goes through their own grim, adult and realistic arcs that are very intriguing - It sucks you in right from the get-go.

The graphics are perfect! Brings the comic books to life better than anything else (I really wish the TV Series followed up on this style as it actually resembles the source material.)

Overall, a true modern masterpiece and a perfect representation of The Walking Dead by Telltale Games. The Zombie genre has never been better!
  12. Jan 20, 2013
    Well scripted, emotive and thoroughly enjoyable game. Loved the graphic novel style graphics and was very impressed with the voice acting of all the characters. The writers know how to surprise and you genuinely feel for the characters and care what decisions you make. You don't want to make a decision that affects the future plot but sometimes the game does not leave you a choice. TheWell scripted, emotive and thoroughly enjoyable game. Loved the graphic novel style graphics and was very impressed with the voice acting of all the characters. The writers know how to surprise and you genuinely feel for the characters and care what decisions you make. You don't want to make a decision that affects the future plot but sometimes the game does not leave you a choice. The game has a good pace and does not overload you with hectic or dull moments. My only criticism is that a few times the save time affects some of the more cinematic moments and made the first few seconds stutter a bit. But this is so easily overlooked. I liked the episodic style and next time on the walking dead parts, but I thought the gap between each chapter was a bit long in the release schedule. I would have preferred these to be a little shorter but I realise the studio had reasons. I hated the end of the game. Knowing that there was nothing left to play! However I wanted to go back and replay making different choices. I hope they make a sequel and also would love to see other games made in this way. Must Buy! Expand
  13. Jan 1, 2013
    The Walking Dead Game was incredible, Lee Everett is the best game character of the year, maybe one of the best of all time. My hat goes off to Telltale Games for creating such a memorable experience, and I definitely expect more in the future. It is my personal game of the year, I enjoyed it more than Mass Effect, and I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet, but it most certainly was anThe Walking Dead Game was incredible, Lee Everett is the best game character of the year, maybe one of the best of all time. My hat goes off to Telltale Games for creating such a memorable experience, and I definitely expect more in the future. It is my personal game of the year, I enjoyed it more than Mass Effect, and I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet, but it most certainly was an unforgettable ride. Expand
  14. Apr 5, 2013
    I haven't played a game with so much emotional interaction and player's choice as this one in a long time. The game play is rather simple in such a way that you locate objects and interact with them to progress through the game as cutscenes play out. Conversation is also an important role as you and your fellow survivors begin to bond or become antagonists along the way. I've read someI haven't played a game with so much emotional interaction and player's choice as this one in a long time. The game play is rather simple in such a way that you locate objects and interact with them to progress through the game as cutscenes play out. Conversation is also an important role as you and your fellow survivors begin to bond or become antagonists along the way. I've read some who say that there isn't any real player choice, and yet, having to choose who to save and let the other person be eaten is a very profound choice that you'll find yourself making. Considering the price for the overall series and the payoff in entertainment that you'll receive, this game is a must have. Expand
  15. Aug 1, 2013
    I normally don't like this type of game but I liked it very much. Big fan of The Walking Dead series. This game was very fun, although I got stuck at times because I'm an idiot. lol
  16. Dec 26, 2012
    Amazingly powerful story, that's all that's there to be had here, no real innovative gameplay, but the story is more than worth it. It doesn't half ass its adaptation to your choices like almost every other game, and breaks dozens of tropes.
  17. Mar 27, 2013
    Not a fan of point-and-click style, but this game deserves to be applauded. The apocalypse theme once again is proved that it is not yet old-fashioned. The different choice throughout the game will keep you play, the impressive voice-acting is also a good factor. No real action can make this game boring somehow, but worth a try
  18. Nov 10, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a point and click adventure game created by Telltale Games. I've tested the game on PC, and the compelling story, along with visuals reminiscent of the comics and really interesting characters made it one of the best games of 2012, with some glitches that weren't game-breaking, but a little annoying. The on-disc console version, however, not only ramps up the amount ofThe Walking Dead is a point and click adventure game created by Telltale Games. I've tested the game on PC, and the compelling story, along with visuals reminiscent of the comics and really interesting characters made it one of the best games of 2012, with some glitches that weren't game-breaking, but a little annoying. The on-disc console version, however, not only ramps up the amount of glitches in the game, but also lags pretty much constantly. In a game like this where quick-time events can appear from nowhere, this is a flaw that can bring the entire game down.
    The story is still one of the best in the "The Walking Dead" franchise and probably of all video games, while the main characters are the best duo. However, the core gameplay is near unplayable because of one horrendously major flaw: lag.
    You see, in The Walking Dead, most of the game is spent in three sections: "pointing and clicking", quick-time events, and dialogue choices. The thing is that, the two latter are almost impossible to win unless you already played them and know which button you must press. The first part is the only one that can be played normally, but even then, it's the one the game least focuses about.
    In the end, it's a shame that The Walking Dead turned out to be a horrendous port. A compilation of the five episodes would have easily got a 9 or a 10, but when more than half of the game is full of glitches, it's a wonder if Telltale tested this release. This could be a 1 point game, but the story it's still the best in gaming. Also, certain episodes hold better than others (Both episode 2 and 5 ran without any major problems, with some hicc-ups. It helped that these). With a GotY edition and the second season right around the corner and Telltale saying that the latter will be a lot less buggier, luckily we'll have a new on-disc release of these wonderful games that isn't as buggy. Don't buy this version at all. Obtain any other version.
  19. Jan 19, 2013
    Telltale Games have created a niche for themselves where their graphic adventure titles such as Sam and Max and Back to the Future. The Walking Dead Season 1 takes this formula to create an interactive movie. To be honest there is very little actual gameplay to be spoken of other than the odd simple puzzle to solve.

Fortunately however the creators have managed to create an engrossing

Fortunately however the creators have managed to create an engrossing tale full of interesting characters and, although your choices actually have very little on the overall plot, they do have an impact on the way the other characters think of you. As a result most gamers will quickly become invested in the events that transpire and with some truly unexpected twists and turns along the way most players will be compelled to see Season One right through to its conclusion.
  20. Dec 17, 2012
    This series of episodes starts out a bit rough but when you look to a book or movie, the ending is really what becomes the deciding factor. And that's the amazing thing about this game, is that the storytelling is comparable to a book or movie. The gameplay and graphics have their rough patches here and there, and there are times where you may need to look up a guide because nothing makesThis series of episodes starts out a bit rough but when you look to a book or movie, the ending is really what becomes the deciding factor. And that's the amazing thing about this game, is that the storytelling is comparable to a book or movie. The gameplay and graphics have their rough patches here and there, and there are times where you may need to look up a guide because nothing makes sense. But all in all, this game portrays a great story and one that is well worth checking out. For anyone on the fence about this game, play through the first two chapters (roughly 4 hours) and you will not regret it for a second. The fact that you can get all this for $20 is amazing. You actually get to highly influence the story and how all of the characters (live or die) will keep pushing towards the end. The 3rd and last chapter of it all are really mindblowing, particularly the last. I was really floored by the story on this one, and that truthfully hasn't happened to me since I played through the first bioshock. I can't think of many things that provide more value for $20. Check it out if you haven't. You will not regret it. Expand
  21. Oct 14, 2013
    This game series brings to light an old argument over what qualities of a game matter the most. Does gameplay make a videogame worth playing or does the story? With this divergent entry in the Walking Dead universe, Telltale presents us with compelling characters, difficult choices, and a path we help to create. They've placed all their eggs in the story basket. In doing so, the gameplayThis game series brings to light an old argument over what qualities of a game matter the most. Does gameplay make a videogame worth playing or does the story? With this divergent entry in the Walking Dead universe, Telltale presents us with compelling characters, difficult choices, and a path we help to create. They've placed all their eggs in the story basket. In doing so, the gameplay such as quicktime events and slow exploration is bland and not very entertaining. But the conversations, the choices, and the personalities keep you playing. You'll have a hard time putting your controller down because much like the television series, you won't be able to wait for what comes next. Telltale did the Walking Dead justice, but I do wish the game part of the game was better. Expand
  22. Dec 28, 2012
    You can't deny its emotional potency and engagement, but the illusion of choice seems to fall away as you realize you've been funneled through a tunnel. The story itself is worth the purchase, but its gameplay and "choose-your-own-adventure" mask really aren't that fantastic.
  23. Aug 21, 2013
    Telltale Games have succeeded in creating a new type of game. An interactive story where characters, dialogue and decisions take precedence over the hand-eye co-ordination required of gamers in FPS or racing games. The puzzles are fairly simple and are successful in some, but not all, of the episodes. However, the storyline is fantastic and elicits rare emotion from gamers. The wholeTelltale Games have succeeded in creating a new type of game. An interactive story where characters, dialogue and decisions take precedence over the hand-eye co-ordination required of gamers in FPS or racing games. The puzzles are fairly simple and are successful in some, but not all, of the episodes. However, the storyline is fantastic and elicits rare emotion from gamers. The whole season is a rollercoaster ride of emotion and leads us to an ending that is brave and thought-provoking. Expand
  24. Mar 9, 2013
    This is even better than Dreamworks Superstar Karting for the PS3 and Xbox 360 (but only by a little bit). Fantastic game, amazing lead characters, can't wait for the sequel.
  25. Mar 15, 2013
    Harrowing. Absolutely harrowing. Such a great story driven experience. The first episode is very slow, but fight through it because the rest is fantastic. I would have given it a but for the odd graphical glitches, and little things such as characters lips moving when they have finished speaking, which jars you out of the zone periodically.
  26. Oct 14, 2013
    The Walking Dead tells perhaps the most engaging, phenomenally written, character driven, decision impacting and tension-packed stories ever told in a video game. Only time will tell. But anyone and everyone who loves an incredible story should definitely play this.
  27. Dec 29, 2012
    THIS GAME IS GREAT. One of the best games I have ever played, and I can't remember the last time a said it about a game.. The story is so captivating, engaging, unexpected, and just plain amazing. I highly recommend it. Whoever wrote this is a genius. The story was so good, I felt it was better wrote than some movies out there. Let me just clear something up first. The only negativeTHIS GAME IS GREAT. One of the best games I have ever played, and I can't remember the last time a said it about a game.. The story is so captivating, engaging, unexpected, and just plain amazing. I highly recommend it. Whoever wrote this is a genius. The story was so good, I felt it was better wrote than some movies out there. Let me just clear something up first. The only negative comments about this game complain that there is no real gameplay and the choices you make dont really give a difference. In reality, here is what is going on. This game is not like a regular game. There arent really a good amount of controls, but that isn't bad. This game plays out more like an interactive movie and the gameplay is different. This does not in any way take away from the awesome quality of the game. And I don't know how people say the choices dont matter. About half of the story is not influenced by your decisions, but that other half that you control with your choices is equally important as the other half. The choices you make in this game are vital, it's not like they don't mean anything, and they even carry on through episodes, which makes you really think about the long term affect of your actions. The character development was also outstanding, so much to the point that by the end of episode 5, I was so attached to the characters and it made me want more out of the story. The Walking Dead won 2012 Game of the Year. Wow. It definitely deserved it. That alone is impressive. It has received TONS of accolades. Definitely more worth my money than the Halo 4 or Black Ops 2 storyline gave me. You will be so happy when you start playing this game. It doesn't start out slow. It begins and ends with a bang, as it should. Try not to read any spoilers along the way, or any guides. You will be better off trying to get through the game on your own and then you can rewind or start a new game in a blank game slot to see how different Lee's journey would've been if he made some different choices. The last episode is just perfect. They could not have written it better. The music fits perfectly and adds awesome suspense, adding to the amazing craft of the game. There are great twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat for every episode. You go into the last episode expecting certain things from this season finale, and it gives you such a rewarding conclusion that sets you up perfectly for season two, also the best episode in my opinion (sorry for the ambiguity, I just really dont want to give anything away!). I wish season 2 would come out right now! Gahh!!! You will probably feel the same after you are done.Thank goodness that season 2 will come out in 2013. I hope that the wait wont be too long. Definitely a 10/10. Expand
  28. Dec 28, 2012
    It's fun for at least one playthru. The story is great, and there are plenty of surprises. Characters come and go in dramatic fashion, and you never know who is "safe". It's a semi-throwback to the old Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry style of play, with point and click puzzles and the occasional quicktime battle. Fun game!
  29. Dec 12, 2012
    One of the best stories in a game, makes you feel for the characters and regret your hard decisions even though you know in your heart it was the right choice.

Speaking of the right choice, the right choice is to buy this now!
  30. Dec 20, 2012
    My GOTY for sure. First, for the handful that doesn't call this a "game" is an unfair statement. You walk around the environment, solve basic puzzles to traverse the levels, have some light shooting and of course make decisions that your group will or will not back you on.

The story is far and away better than the TV show because its based more on the comic book universe which is a braver world, one where death can be drawn out and heartbreaking, or sudden and feeling lacking in resolution. The decisions really grind home the "every-man" aspect because you are no Commander Shepard, or chosen one of any kind. Sometimes your decisions haunt you, and sometimes you don't even get the luxury of choice. The result is a tight narrative story that will ultimately be the same as most people, but with a varying cast of characters to give input along the way, as well as a few major changes in the ending story. Clementine is the most fleshed out, realistic child character in any video game. She's smart, innocent and very adaptable to her surroundings. Without going into any spoilers, there were many times in many episodes where I wept at the idea of her lost innocence. Terrifying and funny. Heartwarming and infuriating, action packed and well paced are all words to describe "The Walking Dead"
  31. Mar 9, 2013

1. Jan 29, 2013
    This series offered some of the most memorable hours we spent holding a gamepad during 2012. [Feb 2013, p.102]
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    A masterclass in how to tell stories in games. [Issue#94, p.80]
  3. Jan 7, 2013
    Engaging, dramatic, touching: The Walking Dead is one of this year's masterpieces. Absolutely a must-have.