8.5

1. Dec 11, 2012
    Who doesn't like surprises? This game is one of the biggest surprises ever. Like, ever. You've heard of the Walking Dead somewhere, so we don't hafta go over that. Gameplay is to the point, but phenomenal story writing, a flawless tailored multiple storyline flow that competes and possibly beats quantic dream's work, and suspenseful sequences of pure awesome. You get connected to this game. There's no endless hordes or zombies, no endless amounts of AK-47 ammo to mow zombies down with, no UAV's... It's just you, Clementine, and the infected outside world. Go save Clem Clem! Expand
  2. Dec 22, 2012
    The Walking Dead is one of the most amazing, shocking, emotionalising, Imustplaythenextpartnow-ing games you will even play. Some of the episodes are a bit better than others (for me the first, second, fourth and fifth were amazing, and the third was just... Very good). Choices you make in the early portion of the game are reflected even in the last, some choices being better than others, and you may wish to play the game again to pick all the best choices.

TWD, though fantastic, can also be one of the glitchiest games you will ever play. Many times have all my saves been temporarily reset or just not do what I want, but in the end, the game was well worth it, left me begging for more and made me cry. 10/10 for sure.
  3. Dec 11, 2012
    For 30 years, games have been held back by the idea that 'fun' is a defining factor. Sure, I love fun, and it is one of the most powerful ways to engross a player, but imagine if all films fit under the category of fun? We wouldn't have films like Schindler's List, Hurt Locker, Apocalypse Now, and the Godfather. Our medium has never had our own Citizen Kane, or it's own Godfather. Until now. If Spec Ops: The Line was the Apocalypse now of gaming, and Skyrim is the Lord of the Rings, The Walking Dead is the Dead Alive, and even that isn't doing it justice, as Dead Alive is the best zombie film ever. Look past the glitches, and we have a near perfect game. The puzzles are tricky and take a fair bit of though, the art style is the best use of cell-shading I've seen, the characters are well-written and have arcs, its atmosphere is very tense, and you have the urge to play it to the very end once you've picked it up. The episodes themselves were quite short, 3 hours at best, but the retail release actually makes it seem like one coherent game, instead of playing parts of a game months apart. Actions have consequences. The littlest choice has the hugest effect at the end of your game. Talk to another person who played this game and, most likely, his outcome would of been entirely different. All of this makes the Walking Dead compulsively playable, but not fun. It's not about the thrills of killing zombies, this game focuses on the realtionships between characters in a zombie apocalypse scenario, and makes you see how ordinary people can get along (and indeed fall out) in this scenario. Play it because you like Telltale, play it because you love zombies, play it because you love point and click adventure games, play it because you love substantial choice in games, play it because it's cheap, play it because you're sick of Halo, the bottom line remains the same: DO NOT MISS THE WALKING DEAD. Expand
  4. Dec 11, 2012
    Video games are art, or are they? This is a question that has been floating around the industry for years but has never truly been taken serious until this generation of gaming. In many ways it really comes down to how grounded your opinion of art is. Is art free form to you? Is it something that can only be achieved via deep principals, or is it simply anything and everything that is created as a form of expression? While I am not going to further this argument with this review, I will say this. If video games have the ability to be art simply through story telling and tapping at the spine of our emotions then Telltale Expand
  5. Dec 12, 2012
    The most overrated game I have seen In my life, tell me what is the most important thing in a videogame, yeah the story is very important and this game has a good one but the story is not the most important thing is the gameplay wich this game has not, the "gameplay" if i can call it that is a bunch of QTE and interactive cutscenes and point and click stuff and like I said the story is really good but the gameplay kills it you just move your cursor and watch things happen. Expand
  6. Dec 24, 2012
    This game is being overhyped for it's engrossing story, which supposedly features choices and consequences that allow you to tailor the story in your own unique way. The problem that many reviews neglect to mention is that these "choices" are not choices. What exists is merely the illusion of choice. Around 5 times each episode, you will be confronted with a "tough decision" that will supposedly shape the story depending on what you do. The only "consequences" that actually occur are some altered dialogue between characters that reflect your choice. In this way, you are not really affecting the story, but merely the attitude of characters in the story towards you, the player. Basically, some characters will either love you or hate you. There's really no middle ground, as each character will treat you in a very black and white way (no grey area). That is all your "choices" really affect.

An example of the illusion of choice in action: An early choice in episode 1 features a choice between saving a man caught under a piece of farm equipment and a child. Both are being attacked by zombies and you can only save one. Choose carefully... Yeah right. No matter who you "choose" to save, the same event happens - the man dies, the boy will be taken to safety by his father. The "consequence" of this "choice" of one life over the other is not the life and death of a character, but merely if the child's father will treat you nicely due to you saving his boy. So tell me, why did I even have to make a "choice" of who to save if the game already predetermined who would live? Every single choice in this game series is of this nature. Thus, choices do not matter. I repeat for emphasis CHOICES DO NOT MATTER. Naysayers will say that it's about the story and the characters that you shape, but the simple truth is that the story is not shaped by you in anyway. It is being told to you and you merely decide how each character talks to you. The same events happen, but the details of dialogue change. Is that real player choice? It's not. Nevertheless, the story is at least entertaining, if cliche. I recommend watching a playthough on youtube, as you will get the same experience as those who purchased this game. No need to waste money on a game with shallow gameplay elements.
  7. Dec 12, 2012
    Let me just get this out of the way now; this is not a hack-and-slash zombie massacre type of game. This is far more than the generic zombie game. It focuses far more on character development and story progression than this mindless action. The Walking Dead is a masterpiece. Starting from the first chapter, the game gets you engrossed with it's depressing and engrossing sequences. Think you can waltz through the game making all the "good" choices so everyone survives? Nope, no matter what choices you decide to make, almost everything has a downside. But believe it or not, this is a good thing. It adds an intense amount of realism to the game, and the way characters interact to your decisions and overall disposition is remarkable. The best part about the game is how depressing it actually is. The Walking Dead is definitely one of the best games of the year. If you love games with a powerful, dramatic story, you should definitely check this game out. Expand
  8. Mar 9, 2013
    You can get a pretty good idea of whether or not you'll like this game before you play it as long as you know where the focus of its design was and what generalities of game elements you like/don't like. Do you generally like zombie movies, even the bad ones, even the ones that have VERY little focus on zombies? Do you like the attempt of a unique art style more than the success of its execution? Do you like the illusion of choice in games? Can you tolerate an extended quick-time event trying to pass for a game? I didn't care for this game at all, but will give it credit for trying. The engine feels underpowered, constantly loading between rooms, micro freezing (1/8th second delay) between camera angle switches, clunky body animation (almost all the focus was on the faces). The game warns you that the choices you make will affect the outcome of the game. What they don't tell you is that the choices you make won't have logical consequences and frequently the reactions of other characters won't make any sense. The character writing is idiotic. There are a million things wrong with the storytelling i.e. people yelling don't get noticed by zombies, girl locks herself in a motel room by nailing a board to the OUTSIDE of the door when she's locked inside, characters react before events happen. The slop gets tiring. Most of the action is nothing more than repeating an attack 3 times. Boring. The credit I give this game is for trying to transcend gaming, horror, and storytelling. It would have been amazing had it been successful. It just wasn't. Expand
  9. Dec 12, 2012
    Video games have started to grow dull on me, the same **** in different "revolutionary" engines and what not, and I was honestly beginning to quit gaming all together until I started playing this magnificent piece of entertainment! I had zero expectations to the content and expected it to be just as boring as all the other games out there in the market, but half an hour into it i was completely sold. Truth be told, just by completing the fist episode i was more satisfied with the choices i was able to make than the entirety of mass effect 3! definitely worthy of game of year 2012, kudos. Expand
  10. Dec 16, 2012
    Overall a pretty great game. I can say without refrain that this is immensely better than the show, as players are given the chance to craft Lee, and in turn Clementine, as you see fit. The unfortunate consequence of programming is that ultimately everything will lead to a point, so the choices you make will only tend to have immediate consequences, but it's still a joy to see them pay off. The story is one of the best gaming has to offer, as getting to know the characters is a truly enjoyable experience, and the best moments come from tense situations where Lee is forced to make a tough decision. The cel-shaded graphics are very impressive to look at, despite their constant hiccups when the action is high. It's convenient that you can pause at any point during the game; however, it's less convenient that cutscenes can not be skipped through during repeat playthroughs. The gameplay takes about half an hour to get used to, and by then you should be handling yourself fine, but ultimately you'll find yourself walking into walls in episodes 4 and 5. Given the fact that cutscenes cannot be skipped and each character's fate is always the same, I don't believe I'll be picking this game up again any time soon, but don't let that sway you from an initial playthrough. Experience the game at least once to get to know Clementine and Lee as they are the core of the narrative, and it's well worth the cheap price tag. Expand
  11. Jan 21, 2013
    The Walking Dead is one of the most surprisingly best games ever in my opinion. Never did I think that I would like a game based on a TV series, so buying The Walking Dead never reached my mind, but when I noticed it's great reviews I thought I'll just buy the first one and I'll see how it is. Right after that I found myself anxious to get the next. I thought that I would just spread it out over a long time, five dollars a time, but if you do that you'll find that it's impossible. This is an amazingly addictive game, the story is fantastic as well as the voice acting. The little girl you protect, Clementine, will quickly attach to you with her innocence in a world where it seems that it doesn't exist. She is also very understanding. You have to make very tough choices, which will make you want to strangle the little bar telling you how much time you have to make a choice, and eventually you're going to kill a walker or a dangerous human. Clementine will question some of these hard decisions, but you can easily convince her that it was the only thing to do. The graphics are pretty good and have a Borderlands like, comic book feel. The suspense is very exciting and not one episode will let you down. I ran into something weird where people repeated lines, though it didn't last too long. There's also a very annoying part where you have to inch up to someone with a gun, but if you get too close she shoots instead of just stopping you when you get near her, but thankfully reloading checkpoints is a piece of cake and the game gets you back into the action in a split second. My final problem with it is that there are a couple parts where you get to shoot that just seem forced and are very hard to control. Telltale Games did a fantastic job with this game and I'm dying to see what they do with season 2. Expand
  12. Dec 29, 2012
    It baffles me why people consider this game to be the best of the year. There's nothing in this game that hasn't been done before and its linearity and weak gameplay are really off-putting.
  13. Dec 26, 2012
    Save your money. You'll get the same experience watching each episode on YouTube. The decisions you make do not actually affect the storyline and without any gameplay actions beside point and click there's nothing left thats good in this game besides the story.
  14. Dec 14, 2012
    This is game is the first that the I will call truly emotional experience. Seeing Lee and Clementine's relationship develop throughout the five episodes were simply outstanding. I think other developers should use this game as inspiration for creating interesting characters for their games. TellTale really nailed the essence of The Walking Dead: It's not about killing zombies, it's about the people and how they get along in a world gone to hell.

Despite some technical flaws, I still believe this game was the best experience with a video game I've ever had. Can't wait to see what TellTale can show us in the next game.
  15. Dec 14, 2012
    The surprise of the year, blowing away AAA Game of the Year contenders twice it's price with 100x the budget. An absolute must buy and revival of a lost genre. Hopefully other developers take note and stop sh*tting out stupid junk like Call of Duty ever year. I can't wait for Season 2!
  16. Dec 18, 2012
    Good story, but is much more of an interactive TV show than a game. No actual gameplay is involved. Just watch the show rather than wasting your money on this "game."
  17. Jan 31, 2013
    Why is this even classified as a game? It's not a game, it's an interactive movie, it's like calling Katawa Shoujo a game. Even worse is that it somehow got GoTY, why?
  18. Jan 1, 2013
    One of those super budget advertising games that try and convince you with lots of PR that this game is any good. They even paid off Spike TV, have fake reviews in the users section and 45 thumbs up on the cheeesiest and fakest reviews. Soon we'll need a metacritc for metacritic if they keep manipulating the votes like this.
  19. Dec 13, 2012
    This game is great. The few people that didn't like the game were because they are so shallow they cannot accept a game without good gameplay. This is a game that is played solely for story. If you like that, pick this game up. If you don't, still pick this game up.
  20. Dec 12, 2012
    This isn't a game. This is an experience. One that will touch your heart, hurt you, make you feel love, and make you cry. Its an experience those looking for a truly remarkable tale.

Action junkies, and idiots who complain leave now. The walking dead is in its own class
  21. Dec 14, 2012
    best game EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  22. DDK
    Dec 31, 2012
    How anyone could rate this game higher than a 3 is beyond my meagre ability to comprehend. It's incredibly buggy on all platforms. It has high requirements despite having poor quality graphics. The characters in it are beyond moronic. The drama is forced to the point of complete farce. The actual gameplay is atrocious and almost random in its application and you have zero real choice in anything that happens despite the wondrous claims of Telltale (a telling name if there was any). The sole redeeming factor of the series is the artwork and animation. The people who gave this Indie GotY were either paid off or smoking crack. Expand
  23. Jan 14, 2013
    I never read the comic and quit watching the show after that nonsensical arm hacksawing three episodes in, so maybe I've missed out on something, but for all of the hype surrounding this game, I only felt that the story was "good"--perhaps even "very good," in spite of its predictability, due to its execution. However, the lauded "choices" do not greatly alter the game's course, and, in fact, increase the formula-dependency of the story arcs, which, combined with an overabundance of foreshadowing, renders most major events entirely predictable, and routinely left me wondering how any of the characters couldn't see everything coming. Even so, the story is definitely something the game has going for it.

However, almost all of the characters are intolerable. You will encounter entirely too many people who simply will not be reasonable, and it is infuriatingly unrealistic. I found myself anticipating each character's inevitable demise, and, in fact, was perturbed by only two characters' deaths, both of which I fully expected. Characters will routinely ask for your advice and then completely ignore it, and they will talk about how much work they do, but never do it. The game basically boils down to you doing all of the hard stuff while everyone else complains about it.

But the hard stuff isn't even all that hard. I realize that Telltale didn't want the adventure game mechanics to detract from the story's pacing, but the puzzles are entirely too easy. Yet, they still exist, so if you wanted to play through the game a second or third time, I imagine you would feel like you were wasting time on the same silly puzzles when there's different conversations to be had. Some of the puzzles are so simple, the dialog actually pokes fun at them, which was humorous, but also begged the question "why include it?" So in the end, I felt that these mechanics still removed from the experience.

This is definitely one of Telltale's best offerings, but It mostly left me feeling like they could have done better. I encountered several bugs, and one saved game reset, but fortunately I backed each save up before starting the next episode. I only played it through once, and it was clear to me where the various other decisions would line up or balance out, which, coupled with the host of wholly unlikeable characters, ultimately killed my desire to replay the game.

Now, to be fair, this is mostly just my dissenting opinion on the game; it has received so much praise that I feel it needs to be grounded a bit. It is not a phenomenal game, but it was a very enjoyable experience, and I still recommend it.
  24. Feb 6, 2013
    As enamored as people are with the characters and the story of this series, they continually overlook one thing: there is NOT ENOUGH GAMEPLAY. It can barely be called as a game, more an interactive motion comic. As stellar as the storytelling is, it is dragged down by poor gameplay, which at it's worse becomes a series of quick time events. You will be spending 75% of your time watching cutscenes. If that's your thing, then more power to you. Me, I'd rather be playing a game. The choices you make don't seem to meaningfully impact the story either. It will still continue down the same linear storyline no matter what choice you make, albeit with some minor tonal changes. Other aspects are lackluster as well; you can tell the team was working on a budget, as a lot of the animations and artwork aren't as polished as they could be. So on those merits, I give this a solid 7. A good outing by Telltale, but there is a lot of room for improvement. I think people have been so starved of good storytelling in games recently, that they jumped all over this and proclaimed it GOTY. Once the dust settles I think we will be able to view what this is with more objective eyes. Expand
  25. Dec 21, 2012
    I didn't like this game due to its linear story line, and only story line. No matter what paths you take, you will ALWAYS end up doing the same thing. After episode 2, your saved games are wiped for some reason.

"Beautiful hand-drawn style" Seriously?? Its a piece of crap. Not even lips are synced half the time, and some models aren't even models. They're just drawn on textures
  26. Dec 31, 2012
    No inverted Y-Axis - Play the Trial/Demo before buying

This is more of a warning than a review, but I think people need to be aware of this. There is no option to invert the Y-axis of your reticule/pointer control, which makes it really hard for people used to an inverted Y-axis (camera stick pushed up -> you look down) to enjoy the game. Furthermore, Telltale has declared repeatedly
    that they have no intention of adding in the option via patch/Title Update, despite a considerably campaign on their forums that started on release day and is still going strong. I was looking forward to the game, since I was a fan of the comic for quite some time. I enjoyed Telltale's other games on the PC, but my PC has gotten old. Ready to buy the game on release day, I still tried the Trial Version first - and was mighty glad I did. No inverted Y-Axis for the "aiming" makes games pretty much unplayable for me. Call it muscle memory, or a trained reflex, or simply the accumulated force of neurons and axons that have been used in this specific way for decades. While this handicap might not be as bad in a point&click adventure like this, there are still action sequences that require you to aim or quickly point at something, and it it's incredibly annoying to feel like someone reversed the controller in your hand.

Some people are obviously not affected ,some people might not mind, others might be able to "re-train" themselves just for this game, but I refuse to do so, for the simple reason that there is no valid argument whatsoever for a game these days not to have this option. Telltale's outright refusal to integrate it only adds insult to injury. It's something incredibly simple to do, something that can in no way whatsoever adversely affect the game for anyone, yet Telltale does not seem to care. And as such, I see no reason to buy their game, no matter how much I would've enjoyed it.
  27. Dec 12, 2012
    One of the best stories in a game, makes you feel for the characters and regret your hard decisions even though you know in your heart it was the right choice.

Speaking of the right choice, the right choice is to buy this now!
  28. Dec 18, 2012
    This game is so damn awesome on so many levels I cannot even describe it. Every second is suspenseful and you have no idea what might happen next. The character development is excellent, and for having 5 different writer's for each episode, they did a good damn job overall. Actual game play may not be that spectacular compared to other zombie games, but there is enough to suffice. Overall this game was amazing, and definitely deserves to be one of the best games of the year 2012. Expand
  29. Dec 11, 2012
    It may not be action packed, but it really touches the game like no other, and I find pretty cool to see how other people reacted to the same situation when I finish an episode.
  30. Dec 16, 2012
    The walking dead is best Arcade game that i playing! very nice very fun.i am very happy because i know we can continue playing this game in season 2 so i give this game 10 out of 10 !

1. Jan 29, 2013
    This series offered some of the most memorable hours we spent holding a gamepad during 2012. [Feb 2013, p.102]
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    A masterclass in how to tell stories in games. [Issue#94, p.80]
  3. Jan 7, 2013
    Engaging, dramatic, touching: The Walking Dead is one of this year's masterpieces. Absolutely a must-have.