8.5

1. Jan 19, 2014
    Telltale's The Walking Dead is absolutely amazing! This choose-your-own-adventure-esque zombie games provides a fantastic story that has plenty of emotional depth as well as some jump-out-of-your-seat scares. Featuring characters that players can care for (that are fantastically well-acted of course), players can fully immerse themselves into the experience that is The Walking Dead game. You may be thinking why have I not given this game a 10 out of 10. Well, the game certainly has some technical hiccups, such as the occasional bad frame rate, tedious load times and other glitches like that. But those technical flaws aside, The Walking Dead is a must play and an experience worth experiencing. NOTE: The game might leave you in tears by the end. Expand
  2. Dec 21, 2012
    Game of the year. Nothing else has come close. The brilliant writing and acting overshadowed the minimal game play elements. So maybe it is more of an evolved graphic novel than a game.. whatever it is I want more.
  3. Jan 23, 2013
    Despite its plethora of invisible walls, glitches, screen tearing, and straight out freezes, The Walking Dead: A Telltale Game Series manages to touch an emotional level that no game has really ever achieved. The decision never feel fixed, even when they are. But many other decisions have a severe impact on the remaining track of the game. Its the best decision tree in a video game yet, and brings interactive gaming to a new level. Expand
  4. Apr 1, 2013
    First of all would like to say i am not obsessed with the walking dead. I only bought the game because microsoft was having a sale and i heard it was good. At first i felt it might be overhyped but It did not disappoint! If you are looking for a traditional zombie game like resident evil look elsewhere. This is not a shooter and doesn't have any shooter mechanics. The gameplay is simple and there are quick time scenes but where this game shines is the story. Its about the people you are traveling with and the way you want your character to act. There are no traditional choices and there is only one ending but the choices you make do change your character. I don't consider that the illusion of choice personally. You might not be able to change your destination but you can change your character and partially how you get there which for me counts. My only complaints are sometimes the game can feel slow but it makes up for it with the story, the surprises that occur from time to time and the choices you make. If your a fan of the show get it if you prefer games with a great story get it, if you want something similar to a shooter horror game you won't find it here but if want something different if your willing to take the chance what you will find is an surprisingly excellent adventure. I wouldn't say it deserved game of the year but it is for sure a great game. Expand
  5. Jan 2, 2013
    The game is not without flaws (I thought a few animations looked a bit thrown together), but it's easily one of the best games I played in 2012. This is a game for people who like their games to tell them a story, and who like to feel something for the character they play as.
  6. Dec 17, 2012
    This game honestly was the best game I played all year. It had something that most games lack, feeling. The story and the character development were amazing. The story had its twists and its turns. There were two main problems that cause people to dislike this game. First, the gaming part of this game is really just figuring out what to do and making decisions. While this at first seems lackluster, the story and the characters keep you wanting to play. Along with this, the decision-making can sometimes seem useless. These two things however can be overlooked by the simple fact that the story was easily one of the best stories I have encountered in years. The Walking Dead TV show could use a story as good as this. It may not be the best game ever, but it definitely should be a must play for anyone who likes RPGs. It was my Game of the Year. Expand
  7. Dec 19, 2012
    Outstanding characters, a great script and brilliant comic-style graphics. Some of the most emotionally engaging and upsetting moments in video-game history. Only the fairly straight-forward gameplay and over-reliance on QTE stops it getting a 10 - but don't let that put you off. Absolutely my GOTY.
  8. Dec 25, 2012
    So, I finally got the game and I finished it in three days, last night playing up to half past four with christmas before and all. So let's see, what's there to like:

- Graphics are beautifully low-fi (which is what I liked best about). Sure, it's a little too polished maybe, but I still got the feeling I was watching a comic book being read out to me as a video that someone actually
    made with any kind of emotion to it while drawing. You all know this "Oh, it looks mindblowingly great", but you still don't feel anything besides that? It's different with this one. You take what you see for real, because a little human touch is still within all those textures and pixels.

- The writing: I really don't know what's there to complain about as I have read in some mixed or negative reviews. I got the season-pass via steam and i paid well below twenty euros in some kind of christmas-special and I really can't think about any movie I have seen in the last five years that even came close to "the walking dead" in terms of emotion, story and character-development (which is a word I normally hate). Get yourself any fresh blue-ray ("Prometheus" for example) and tell me you got the same value out of the script. Should that be the case: I don't believe you. Period. I immediately had a feeling for the characters, sided with them in seconds or thought "Yeah, all right, whatever you say, pal". And you might not believe it, throughout the story, I sometimes really had to bother to change my mind about some of them. And guess what, changing my mind cost me some energy to really pull through with it.

- "Freedom": That's why I compared it to movies in the first place. Sure, I have only one playthrough, sure, sometimes I felt like "Why in God's holy name did that character just die, I tried everything to not make that happen", but nonetheless I never felt angry about it, it literally broke my heart. Well not literally, but I guess you catch my drift, it's just the feeling it carried along of all of it to have been in vain. And isn't this what would happen in a world full of zombies and only thin rays of hope fading in and out? Maybe, as some other reviewers mentioned, the choices I made didn't have the huge effect that was prominently advertised before every episode, but I never cared. For almost every response I wanted to give to any character in the game, there was a dialogue option that was to choose, my favorite being "Are you **** nuts" when this was all I could think of to "say". And yes, I felt like I was actually saying it and that's what I call freedom instead of some fifteen million different endings. When you're able to build up a situation to the point, where 99 percent of the people have the choice they want to choose, then that's all right with me in terms of freedom. After all, people are just people and maybe I'm a bit simple or something, but I'll manage.

- Addictiveness: It's there, believe me. I had to think about it like half a minute every time I was to select "Exit" from the menu, even though I was running late for some family-meal already.

Now to what's caused the game to lose it's 10 out of 10:

- Invisible walls: C'mon, man, just put a solid barrier in front of where you don't want me to go. That shouldn't be too hard in terms of level design. (Although I like invisible walls better than areas you can go to that have absolutely nothing in it four you to do and you have to walk back empty handed)

- Quicktime-Events: Q and E alone? Klicking some bubbles with your mouse? How about giving me a challenge at times, please. But let's be honest, all these action-scenes are probably only in there so you could lable it as a video-game, which it barely is (which is not a bad thing to begin with). But as I said, a little more challenge and I'd have been even more involved.

- Dialogue choices are sometimes missleading. At one or two times I thought I was going to calm things down, but instead I was screaming at someone. Also they sometimes involve dialogue forced unto me that had nothing to do with what I intended to say (For made-up example: I wanted to say "I went to the carneval without you", instead of directly saying I slept with someone else there, which I wanted to reveal with my next answer, but the talked to character asked "Why?", and I said, "It's not important" without me having a chance to do anything about it any more, thus not coming clean).

- WASD to move around isn't the best option considering that "The Walking Dead" isn't an FPS most of the time.

- I really don't like being told that there is a dialogue-option when it's going to cause me to hear a non-skipable, non-ineractive, "Hey, you all right"-"Yes,-"See you later then"-cutsceen.

But all in all, 9 out of 10 it is.
  9. Dec 26, 2012
    A really good game. Short, cheep and quality. This game is so dramatic and well done. Deep story and very innovating. I give it a 9 because I think it´s a little bit short in my opinion. I´m happy because this game won the VGA´s and that helps a lot the industry motivating developers moving forward this types of experiences.
    GOOD JOB TELLTALE GAMES!
  10. Dec 28, 2012
    When I first saw the trailer for Telltale's The Walking Dead I had mixed feelings towards it. Point-and-click? Apparently lousy animations? That wasn't how I imagined a TWD Adaptation to my console. But when the first episode came out, everyone was so pleased by it I gave it a go. And since, I couldn't stop. Episode 1: It was a great beginning to the franchise. The important decissions and the story wrapped me in the game since the beginning. In Episode 2 the story flew away, although it was still good and tense. Episode 3 (My favourite) was with episode 5, the most shocking of the saga. Also I found an interesting variety of gameplay that made it excellent. Then came Episode 4, which was a little bit repetitive but also tremendously entertaining. And Episode 5, which made me cry like a little b***. After drying my face, I'm proud to say TWD is my GOTY. It isn't perfect (The animations show lots of flaws) but the story, the characters....I've never felt so touched by a game before. Telltale has made something bigger than a game. They have made a story we can build and, even though the ending is the same in any way the story is constructed, the journey is a hell of a ride. Describe The Walking Dead in terms of gameplay is also hard. Point-and-click may seem like an easy, childish term for the game's mechanic, but it isn't. Point-and-click includes choosing answers and decissions quickly, shooting with guns, rifles and snipers, and to be honest....That's what we do in any mainstream big-budget FPS game. Just point and click and maybe click another time. And TWD isn't easy! I died many times, and in Episode 3 for example, I had to get a concussion trying to sort out a puzzle, but still, the game Is so enjoyable. Well, let's put it on another way. Enjoyable for the people who enjoy stories, as TWD proved "Fun" and "Constant Gameplay" is not necessary to make a great game. I would give it a 9.5, but because I can't at least I am an official game critic, I think a 90 will do the same thing I wish it will do. To convince you trying this game. NOW! Expand
  11. Jan 6, 2013
    I love this game and haven't been able to put it down since I bought it! The characters are so well written and you will care for some and hate others. When my favourite character abruptly and unexpectedly died I literally got up shouted "WTF!" at the TV. Some superb writing makes this one of the most engrossing stories I have ever become trapped in. Although I realize the game is meant to look like a comic book some of the textures are very pixelated. I know not a lot of Telltale games look very amazing but it is kind of disappointing when you compare the visuals to those of Borderlands 2. Along with quite a few glitches the game is not perfect but definitely worth the low price. One of my new favourites. By the way, why do people keep on giving this game terrible scores for the slight inconvenience of no option for inverted Y axis? Seriously, who still uses inverted Y. Expand
  12. Jan 11, 2013
    A narative based game with good game play. This game is one of the games of the year in 2012. Some of the best writing in games, this game shows why Telltale is the king at Point and Click gaming. This game is art in the swarms of Call of Duty's, I tell you all, go play this game(probably not on an Xbox 360 with 4 GBs).
  13. Jan 11, 2013
    Loved the series and was very pleased to see a game that offered the same suspense and satisfaction while being able to dictate situations. A very solid game and story.
  14. Jan 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first saw the way the game was set up after playing the demo, I was a bit disappointed. But then one day, after I was purchasing games to play on my Xbox, I spent my remaining 400 pts (or $5) on The Walking Dead - Episode 1: A New Day. My disappointment slowly began to deteriorate as I saw the major strengths of this game: the characters, the development of those characters, and the story. The story begins when the protagonist of the series, Lee Everett, is being sent to prison (which the crime is mentioned later in the story of him killing of a man who the wife was cheating on him with), but with some "luck", the car hits something on the road which causes the vehicle to flip into a wooded area. As Lee escapes from the wrecked car, he slowly begins to see that the world he once knew is becoming a barren wasteland filled with zombies (or what the series calls them "Walkers"). Later on, he meets a little girl named Clementine and takes her in under his care. And that is when the adventure kicks off!
    Throughout the game, you'll meet other characters like Kenny, Glenn from the TV series, Larry (my most hated character in the game), and many others as you go through the game. Now the character development is built by dialogue and choices. Choices that the player has to make in a select amount of time. This mechanic makes the game truly interesting with the choices people make, like which character do you save situation that makes the player decide who to save and who to let die. The characters are also a delight for this game. By learning more and more about the characters throughout the episodes, you either become more bonded to them or have more hatred towards them. This game also has a lot of moments where you are on the edge of your seat and moments when you want to cry. One of the moments when you want to cry is in Episode 3: Long Road Ahead, where you have to decide whether Kenny kills his son who is infected or Lee does it. It makes the story ever more stronger and it also makes you feel more and more attached to the characters.
    Now good things aside, there is only one problem I have with the game, the controls. The game is a point and click adventure, yet the 360 has a really weird way of pulling it off. You either move in a different direction or the game doesn't seem to click the item that you want. It gets a little bit annoying, but only for the first 5 times it happens.
    In conclusion, the game is deep with story and character development. You can either purchase this game via XBLA or buy it on retail. This is one of those games you can't miss!
  15. Jan 21, 2013
    The Walking Dead is one of the most surprisingly best games ever in my opinion. Never did I think that I would like a game based on a TV series, so buying The Walking Dead never reached my mind, but when I noticed it's great reviews I thought I'll just buy the first one and I'll see how it is. Right after that I found myself anxious to get the next. I thought that I would just spread it out over a long time, five dollars a time, but if you do that you'll find that it's impossible. This is an amazingly addictive game, the story is fantastic as well as the voice acting. The little girl you protect, Clementine, will quickly attach to you with her innocence in a world where it seems that it doesn't exist. She is also very understanding. You have to make very tough choices, which will make you want to strangle the little bar telling you how much time you have to make a choice, and eventually you're going to kill a walker or a dangerous human. Clementine will question some of these hard decisions, but you can easily convince her that it was the only thing to do. The graphics are pretty good and have a Borderlands like, comic book feel. The suspense is very exciting and not one episode will let you down. I ran into something weird where people repeated lines, though it didn't last too long. There's also a very annoying part where you have to inch up to someone with a gun, but if you get too close she shoots instead of just stopping you when you get near her, but thankfully reloading checkpoints is a piece of cake and the game gets you back into the action in a split second. My final problem with it is that there are a couple parts where you get to shoot that just seem forced and are very hard to control. Telltale Games did a fantastic job with this game and I'm dying to see what they do with season 2. Expand
  16. Jan 27, 2013
    This is one of the few games that has actually made me cry. It does have parts that really slow down as you're trying to figure things out, but this serves also to build tension and increase interaction with the other characters. That's what ends up mattering the most by the end when you know not everyone is going to survive and others have already died as a result of your choices. The point and click format works in some places but can also make things a bit cumbersome. Overall a fantastic experience with some minor complaints that are easily trumped by the amazing story. Expand
  17. Jan 23, 2013
    The mechanic of you make the decisions is the best part. Sure Mass Effect may have done it first, but The Walking Dead did it better. Mostly because of no starchild ending. Somethings there is slow down, and chugging which won't take away from your experience. 9/10
  18. Jan 27, 2013
    TellTale Games most definitely redeemed themselves with this game. It is a well though out; well developed trawling story that manages to capture your empathetic emotions. I don't have kids of my own but I've talked to people who do, and for them the true meaning of the game really captured their hearts. While waiting for the episodic content to release was a pain, I was a fun experience. Just like a child waiting for the next issue of a comic book to come out, TellTale did it right in keeping all of its fans cringing for that next episodic content of the game.

I gave the game a 9 because of the tech issues I and many other encountered during gameplay. Some bugs here and there didn't allow for a smooth gameplay, none the less a smooth transition from cut-scene to cut-scene. To anyone debating wither they should play this game or not, I say don't even think about it just play it! This is more then a game, It is an interactive movie to say the least.
  19. Feb 5, 2013
    I had no idea this game would be as good as it is. For me this was the sleeper hit of 2012. Games before it have touted tough choices that dramatically change story. They need to take a page from Telltale Games. The first time I played through this game, I found myself thinking about what I would do during a real zombie apocalypse. Some of the choices I made during this game, I had no idea I could be that vicious. This is a must play game, it'll teach you something about yourself you never knew. It is the only game that actually make your choices matter. Expand
  20. Feb 16, 2013
    To me the walking Dead Series and comics are amazing, they bring out the Drama in a zombie apocalypse instead of the violence. When I heard of a Walking Dead game, I was worried that this was going to flop, replacing drama with action and gore, all those worries vanished once I played the game, it is a masterpiece, using graphics from the comic books and developing its own story line, and how it was like when the outbreak first started, while I find the TV series cameos to be a tad bit desperate for fans, the game itself is flawless, being a point and click puzzle game and knowing what it is, not trying to be anything else, while there are some awkward shooting sequences, they go with the game rather well. Now the main bit, the core of the game, characters, this game is souly based around the relationship and the drama between all characters involved, and while episode 1 is slow, the other 4 are just incredible, with one of the best endings to a game that I have seen in a long time, never before have I cried at a video game ending, but this one really got to me, I would suggest this game to everyone and anyone. Expand
  21. Mar 24, 2013
    After playing the walking dead i will never look at video games in the same way. This game has given me a new standard for what I want in video game stories. Every single character, even characters who have the tiniest of roles feel real and have genuine emotion. Sure the story might not be as epic as mass effect or halo, but that is not the point of the story to show off epic battle and saving the world from world destroying aliens. But instead it is about the relationship between convicted felon Lee Everett and 8 year old Clementine in an unforgiving world and the inseparable bond these two create over the course of the story. There are still some technical hiccups and some missteps but the overall quality of the story makes you forgot about these missteps all together. This game is a major triumph of a game and should not be missed by anyone who truly respect the story of a game. Expand
  22. Jun 24, 2013
    The Walking Dead is not just a game, rather it is an experience that all gamers should undertake. Everything from the amazing characters to the tragic setting help aid this game's outstanding story and premise. The beginning will instantly hook you as you're immediately thrown into a world gone to chaos. Any game that can bring a tear to my eye gets special recognition from me. A must play.
  23. Feb 21, 2013
    Where the hell did this come from? A point and click linear game based on a popular series? How did this become one of my favorite games? Simple. From the very start this game is a story, one not told through battlefields, or action. But rather through characters, emotions, sounds and setting. The connection developed for the two main characters, and their impact on the audience is legendary. Never have I cared so much for fictional people. Voice acting, writing, and all small details elevate this small work into AAA status. At a low cost for the series, I highly suggest you see for yourself. The only reason this game loses a point from perfect is numerous glitches, slowdowns and save game erases, which hurts the immersion. Expand
  24. Feb 26, 2013
    not much action here but no other story has drug me in so deep. I fell in love with the characters. the story is the best of this millennium. poor graphics and little glitches keep this game from getting a perfect 10.
  25. Mar 8, 2013
    An absolute gem of a game one of the highlights of last year's game line-up. The emotionally-driven core of the game puts technical issues and the simplicity of the game's mechanics in the shade. A breath of fresh air in a market saturated with carbon-copy, cliched storylines that provides no emotional attachment for the reader. A must play.
  26. Mar 20, 2013
    I can see why this game was top 10 of 2012. The gameplay was simple, but that's what it was about choices and not shoot 'em up. the graphics weren't amazing, but for what it was and the price I paid it was very, very well worth it. The storyline leaves you hanging, so I'm looking forward to the sequel since the FPS TWD came out with is a flop. Oh and who doesnt absolutely ADORE little Clementine?
  27. Apr 4, 2013
    Good: Nice Comic Graphics, Intresting Gameplay,Fantastic Story, Good Moral Choices, Actual good Gameplay, Fluid Presentation, A l t of Replayability
    Bad: Some Annoying Glitches, Camera is sometimes at awkward angles, Some Really Annoying Sections.

A Great Game and a Good price For What You Get.
  28. Mar 23, 2013
    I really don't like this type of gameplay, but only cause it's not my style, but i know this game is amazing and it has an awesome story, characters
  29. Apr 10, 2013
    this game by a narrative stand point is HUGE. but my two big gripes are 1. there is not very much "game" to it, which does not mean there is not fun parts of it. 2. the decisions you make don't have very different outcomes or happens no matter what you do.
  30. Apr 27, 2013
    I was skeptical of this game and debating buying it for quite a while. However, my doubts were quickly removed after playing the first Episode that was released for free on Xbox Live which subsequently caused me to go out and buy the full retail version right away! I wouldn't say it is necessary to have watched the Walking Dead TV series or read the comics but I can definitely say the game more as a result of loving the show and the parallels between them become apparent the more you play.

This game is truly a unique experience that you really can't experience in another game of this generation. Each character you interact with is very developed and one character in particular you will certainly become more emotionally invested in as the game progresses. Throughout the game you are presented with choices at pretty much every step of the way. Some choices have more of an effect on the game than others. Your character's dialogue options are presented in the form of an on screen prompt which allow you to tailor your responses to the type of character you want to be. On top of that, your choices are also timed, so for the most part you will have a limited amount of time to make a decision. While I suppose you could pause the game to ponder a dialogue option, I feel the game is meant to be played in a way that mimics real life. In reality, choices have to be made quickly and you don't always have the luxury of being able to weigh all the pros and cons. This game encourages you to make quick choices and live with the consequences.

During my playthrough I experienced some technical issues that appear to be only on the retail disc version such as an usual amount of lag at the main screen. This may be as a result of having to pull information from the disc as this game cannot be installed to the hard drive if you purchase the disc version. This issue was more of a minor annoyance rather than a game breaking problem.

Unlike the Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, the Telltale Games series take on the Walking Dead is clearly the definitive Walking Dead experience. I highly encourage anyone who is interested in this game and may be turned off issues such as graphics or the more story driven style of game versus gameplay heavy (such as Left 4 Dead) to give this game a chance. It is a memorable experience that will make you hate that is has to end.

1. Jan 29, 2013
    This series offered some of the most memorable hours we spent holding a gamepad during 2012. [Feb 2013, p.102]
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    A masterclass in how to tell stories in games. [Issue#94, p.80]
  3. Jan 7, 2013
    Engaging, dramatic, touching: The Walking Dead is one of this year's masterpieces. Absolutely a must-have.