8.5

1. Dec 11, 2012
    Who doesn't like surprises? This game is one of the biggest surprises ever. Like, ever. You've heard of the Walking Dead somewhere, so we don't hafta go over that. Gameplay is to the point, but phenomenal story writing, a flawless tailored multiple storyline flow that competes and possibly beats quantic dream's work, and suspenseful sequences of pure awesome. You get connected to this game. There's no endless hordes or zombies, no endless amounts of AK-47 ammo to mow zombies down with, no UAV's... It's just you, Clementine, and the infected outside world. Go save Clem Clem! Expand
  2. Dec 22, 2012
    The Walking Dead is one of the most amazing, shocking, emotionalising, Imustplaythenextpartnow-ing games you will even play. Some of the episodes are a bit better than others (for me the first, second, fourth and fifth were amazing, and the third was just... Very good). Choices you make in the early portion of the game are reflected even in the last, some choices being better than others, and you may wish to play the game again to pick all the best choices.

TWD, though fantastic, can also be one of the glitchiest games you will ever play. Many times have all my saves been temporarily reset or just not do what I want, but in the end, the game was well worth it, left me begging for more and made me cry. 10/10 for sure.
  3. Dec 11, 2012
    For 30 years, games have been held back by the idea that 'fun' is a defining factor. Sure, I love fun, and it is one of the most powerful ways to engross a player, but imagine if all films fit under the category of fun? We wouldn't have films like Schindler's List, Hurt Locker, Apocalypse Now, and the Godfather. Our medium has never had our own Citizen Kane, or it's own Godfather. Until now. If Spec Ops: The Line was the Apocalypse now of gaming, and Skyrim is the Lord of the Rings, The Walking Dead is the Dead Alive, and even that isn't doing it justice, as Dead Alive is the best zombie film ever. Look past the glitches, and we have a near perfect game. The puzzles are tricky and take a fair bit of though, the art style is the best use of cell-shading I've seen, the characters are well-written and have arcs, its atmosphere is very tense, and you have the urge to play it to the very end once you've picked it up. The episodes themselves were quite short, 3 hours at best, but the retail release actually makes it seem like one coherent game, instead of playing parts of a game months apart. Actions have consequences. The littlest choice has the hugest effect at the end of your game. Talk to another person who played this game and, most likely, his outcome would of been entirely different. All of this makes the Walking Dead compulsively playable, but not fun. It's not about the thrills of killing zombies, this game focuses on the realtionships between characters in a zombie apocalypse scenario, and makes you see how ordinary people can get along (and indeed fall out) in this scenario. Play it because you like Telltale, play it because you love zombies, play it because you love point and click adventure games, play it because you love substantial choice in games, play it because it's cheap, play it because you're sick of Halo, the bottom line remains the same: DO NOT MISS THE WALKING DEAD. Expand
  4. Dec 11, 2012
    Video games are art, or are they? This is a question that has been floating around the industry for years but has never truly been taken serious until this generation of gaming. In many ways it really comes down to how grounded your opinion of art is. Is art free form to you? Is it something that can only be achieved via deep principals, or is it simply anything and everything that is created as a form of expression? While I am not going to further this argument with this review, I will say this. If video games have the ability to be art simply through story telling and tapping at the spine of our emotions then Telltale Expand
  5. Dec 12, 2012
    The most overrated game I have seen In my life, tell me what is the most important thing in a videogame, yeah the story is very important and this game has a good one but the story is not the most important thing is the gameplay wich this game has not, the "gameplay" if i can call it that is a bunch of QTE and interactive cutscenes and point and click stuff and like I said the story is really good but the gameplay kills it you just move your cursor and watch things happen. Expand
  6. Dec 24, 2012
    This game is being overhyped for it's engrossing story, which supposedly features choices and consequences that allow you to tailor the story in your own unique way. The problem that many reviews neglect to mention is that these "choices" are not choices. What exists is merely the illusion of choice. Around 5 times each episode, you will be confronted with a "tough decision" that will supposedly shape the story depending on what you do. The only "consequences" that actually occur are some altered dialogue between characters that reflect your choice. In this way, you are not really affecting the story, but merely the attitude of characters in the story towards you, the player. Basically, some characters will either love you or hate you. There's really no middle ground, as each character will treat you in a very black and white way (no grey area). That is all your "choices" really affect.

An example of the illusion of choice in action: An early choice in episode 1 features a choice between saving a man caught under a piece of farm equipment and a child. Both are being attacked by zombies and you can only save one. Choose carefully... Yeah right. No matter who you "choose" to save, the same event happens - the man dies, the boy will be taken to safety by his father. The "consequence" of this "choice" of one life over the other is not the life and death of a character, but merely if the child's father will treat you nicely due to you saving his boy. So tell me, why did I even have to make a "choice" of who to save if the game already predetermined who would live? Every single choice in this game series is of this nature. Thus, choices do not matter. I repeat for emphasis CHOICES DO NOT MATTER. Naysayers will say that it's about the story and the characters that you shape, but the simple truth is that the story is not shaped by you in anyway. It is being told to you and you merely decide how each character talks to you. The same events happen, but the details of dialogue change. Is that real player choice? It's not. Nevertheless, the story is at least entertaining, if cliche. I recommend watching a playthough on youtube, as you will get the same experience as those who purchased this game. No need to waste money on a game with shallow gameplay elements.
  7. Dec 12, 2012
    Let me just get this out of the way now; this is not a hack-and-slash zombie massacre type of game. This is far more than the generic zombie game. It focuses far more on character development and story progression than this mindless action. The Walking Dead is a masterpiece. Starting from the first chapter, the game gets you engrossed with it's depressing and engrossing sequences. Think you can waltz through the game making all the "good" choices so everyone survives? Nope, no matter what choices you decide to make, almost everything has a downside. But believe it or not, this is a good thing. It adds an intense amount of realism to the game, and the way characters interact to your decisions and overall disposition is remarkable. The best part about the game is how depressing it actually is. The Walking Dead is definitely one of the best games of the year. If you love games with a powerful, dramatic story, you should definitely check this game out. Expand
  8. Mar 9, 2013
    You can get a pretty good idea of whether or not you'll like this game before you play it as long as you know where the focus of its design was and what generalities of game elements you like/don't like. Do you generally like zombie movies, even the bad ones, even the ones that have VERY little focus on zombies? Do you like the attempt of a unique art style more than the success of its execution? Do you like the illusion of choice in games? Can you tolerate an extended quick-time event trying to pass for a game? I didn't care for this game at all, but will give it credit for trying. The engine feels underpowered, constantly loading between rooms, micro freezing (1/8th second delay) between camera angle switches, clunky body animation (almost all the focus was on the faces). The game warns you that the choices you make will affect the outcome of the game. What they don't tell you is that the choices you make won't have logical consequences and frequently the reactions of other characters won't make any sense. The character writing is idiotic. There are a million things wrong with the storytelling i.e. people yelling don't get noticed by zombies, girl locks herself in a motel room by nailing a board to the OUTSIDE of the door when she's locked inside, characters react before events happen. The slop gets tiring. Most of the action is nothing more than repeating an attack 3 times. Boring. The credit I give this game is for trying to transcend gaming, horror, and storytelling. It would have been amazing had it been successful. It just wasn't. Expand
  9. Dec 12, 2012
    Video games have started to grow dull on me, the same **** in different "revolutionary" engines and what not, and I was honestly beginning to quit gaming all together until I started playing this magnificent piece of entertainment! I had zero expectations to the content and expected it to be just as boring as all the other games out there in the market, but half an hour into it i was completely sold. Truth be told, just by completing the fist episode i was more satisfied with the choices i was able to make than the entirety of mass effect 3! definitely worthy of game of year 2012, kudos. Expand
  10. Dec 29, 2012
    It baffles me why people consider this game to be the best of the year. There's nothing in this game that hasn't been done before and its linearity and weak gameplay are really off-putting.
  11. Dec 16, 2012
    Overall a pretty great game. I can say without refrain that this is immensely better than the show, as players are given the chance to craft Lee, and in turn Clementine, as you see fit. The unfortunate consequence of programming is that ultimately everything will lead to a point, so the choices you make will only tend to have immediate consequences, but it's still a joy to see them pay off. The story is one of the best gaming has to offer, as getting to know the characters is a truly enjoyable experience, and the best moments come from tense situations where Lee is forced to make a tough decision. The cel-shaded graphics are very impressive to look at, despite their constant hiccups when the action is high. It's convenient that you can pause at any point during the game; however, it's less convenient that cutscenes can not be skipped through during repeat playthroughs. The gameplay takes about half an hour to get used to, and by then you should be handling yourself fine, but ultimately you'll find yourself walking into walls in episodes 4 and 5. Given the fact that cutscenes cannot be skipped and each character's fate is always the same, I don't believe I'll be picking this game up again any time soon, but don't let that sway you from an initial playthrough. Experience the game at least once to get to know Clementine and Lee as they are the core of the narrative, and it's well worth the cheap price tag. Expand
  12. Jan 21, 2013
    The Walking Dead is one of the most surprisingly best games ever in my opinion. Never did I think that I would like a game based on a TV series, so buying The Walking Dead never reached my mind, but when I noticed it's great reviews I thought I'll just buy the first one and I'll see how it is. Right after that I found myself anxious to get the next. I thought that I would just spread it out over a long time, five dollars a time, but if you do that you'll find that it's impossible. This is an amazingly addictive game, the story is fantastic as well as the voice acting. The little girl you protect, Clementine, will quickly attach to you with her innocence in a world where it seems that it doesn't exist. She is also very understanding. You have to make very tough choices, which will make you want to strangle the little bar telling you how much time you have to make a choice, and eventually you're going to kill a walker or a dangerous human. Clementine will question some of these hard decisions, but you can easily convince her that it was the only thing to do. The graphics are pretty good and have a Borderlands like, comic book feel. The suspense is very exciting and not one episode will let you down. I ran into something weird where people repeated lines, though it didn't last too long. There's also a very annoying part where you have to inch up to someone with a gun, but if you get too close she shoots instead of just stopping you when you get near her, but thankfully reloading checkpoints is a piece of cake and the game gets you back into the action in a split second. My final problem with it is that there are a couple parts where you get to shoot that just seem forced and are very hard to control. Telltale Games did a fantastic job with this game and I'm dying to see what they do with season 2. Expand
  13. Dec 26, 2012
    Save your money. You'll get the same experience watching each episode on YouTube. The decisions you make do not actually affect the storyline and without any gameplay actions beside point and click there's nothing left thats good in this game besides the story.
  14. Dec 14, 2012
    This is game is the first that the I will call truly emotional experience. Seeing Lee and Clementine's relationship develop throughout the five episodes were simply outstanding. I think other developers should use this game as inspiration for creating interesting characters for their games. TellTale really nailed the essence of The Walking Dead: It's not about killing zombies, it's about the people and how they get along in a world gone to hell.

Despite some technical flaws, I still believe this game was the best experience with a video game I've ever had. Can't wait to see what TellTale can show us in the next game.
  15. Dec 18, 2012
    Good story, but is much more of an interactive TV show than a game. No actual gameplay is involved. Just watch the show rather than wasting your money on this "game."
  16. Dec 14, 2012
    The surprise of the year, blowing away AAA Game of the Year contenders twice it's price with 100x the budget. An absolute must buy and revival of a lost genre. Hopefully other developers take note and stop sh*tting out stupid junk like Call of Duty ever year. I can't wait for Season 2!
  17. Jan 31, 2013
    Why is this even classified as a game? It's not a game, it's an interactive movie, it's like calling Katawa Shoujo a game. Even worse is that it somehow got GoTY, why?
  18. Jan 1, 2013
    One of those super budget advertising games that try and convince you with lots of PR that this game is any good. They even paid off Spike TV, have fake reviews in the users section and 45 thumbs up on the cheeesiest and fakest reviews. Soon we'll need a metacritc for metacritic if they keep manipulating the votes like this.
  19. Dec 13, 2012
    This game is great. The few people that didn't like the game were because they are so shallow they cannot accept a game without good gameplay. This is a game that is played solely for story. If you like that, pick this game up. If you don't, still pick this game up.
  20. Dec 12, 2012
    This isn't a game. This is an experience. One that will touch your heart, hurt you, make you feel love, and make you cry. Its an experience those looking for a truly remarkable tale.

Action junkies, and idiots who complain leave now. The walking dead is in its own class
  21. Dec 14, 2012
    best game EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  22. DDK
    Dec 31, 2012
    How anyone could rate this game higher than a 3 is beyond my meagre ability to comprehend. It's incredibly buggy on all platforms. It has high requirements despite having poor quality graphics. The characters in it are beyond moronic. The drama is forced to the point of complete farce. The actual gameplay is atrocious and almost random in its application and you have zero real choice in anything that happens despite the wondrous claims of Telltale (a telling name if there was any). The sole redeeming factor of the series is the artwork and animation. The people who gave this Indie GotY were either paid off or smoking crack. Expand
  23. Jan 14, 2013
    I never read the comic and quit watching the show after that nonsensical arm hacksawing three episodes in, so maybe I've missed out on something, but for all of the hype surrounding this game, I only felt that the story was "good"--perhaps even "very good," in spite of its predictability, due to its execution. However, the lauded "choices" do not greatly alter the game's course, and, in fact, increase the formula-dependency of the story arcs, which, combined with an overabundance of foreshadowing, renders most major events entirely predictable, and routinely left me wondering how any of the characters couldn't see everything coming. Even so, the story is definitely something the game has going for it.

However, almost all of the characters are intolerable. You will encounter entirely too many people who simply will not be reasonable, and it is infuriatingly unrealistic. I found myself anticipating each character's inevitable demise, and, in fact, was perturbed by only two characters' deaths, both of which I fully expected. Characters will routinely ask for your advice and then completely ignore it, and they will talk about how much work they do, but never do it. The game basically boils down to you doing all of the hard stuff while everyone else complains about it.

But the hard stuff isn't even all that hard. I realize that Telltale didn't want the adventure game mechanics to detract from the story's pacing, but the puzzles are entirely too easy. Yet, they still exist, so if you wanted to play through the game a second or third time, I imagine you would feel like you were wasting time on the same silly puzzles when there's different conversations to be had. Some of the puzzles are so simple, the dialog actually pokes fun at them, which was humorous, but also begged the question "why include it?" So in the end, I felt that these mechanics still removed from the experience.

This is definitely one of Telltale's best offerings, but It mostly left me feeling like they could have done better. I encountered several bugs, and one saved game reset, but fortunately I backed each save up before starting the next episode. I only played it through once, and it was clear to me where the various other decisions would line up or balance out, which, coupled with the host of wholly unlikeable characters, ultimately killed my desire to replay the game.

Now, to be fair, this is mostly just my dissenting opinion on the game; it has received so much praise that I feel it needs to be grounded a bit. It is not a phenomenal game, but it was a very enjoyable experience, and I still recommend it.
  24. Feb 6, 2013
    As enamored as people are with the characters and the story of this series, they continually overlook one thing: there is NOT ENOUGH GAMEPLAY. It can barely be called as a game, more an interactive motion comic. As stellar as the storytelling is, it is dragged down by poor gameplay, which at it's worse becomes a series of quick time events. You will be spending 75% of your time watching cutscenes. If that's your thing, then more power to you. Me, I'd rather be playing a game. The choices you make don't seem to meaningfully impact the story either. It will still continue down the same linear storyline no matter what choice you make, albeit with some minor tonal changes. Other aspects are lackluster as well; you can tell the team was working on a budget, as a lot of the animations and artwork aren't as polished as they could be. So on those merits, I give this a solid 7. A good outing by Telltale, but there is a lot of room for improvement. I think people have been so starved of good storytelling in games recently, that they jumped all over this and proclaimed it GOTY. Once the dust settles I think we will be able to view what this is with more objective eyes. Expand
  25. Dec 21, 2012
    I didn't like this game due to its linear story line, and only story line. No matter what paths you take, you will ALWAYS end up doing the same thing. After episode 2, your saved games are wiped for some reason.

"Beautiful hand-drawn style" Seriously?? Its a piece of crap. Not even lips are synced half the time, and some models aren't even models. They're just drawn on textures
  26. Dec 31, 2012
    No inverted Y-Axis - Play the Trial/Demo before buying

This is more of a warning than a review, but I think people need to be aware of this. There is no option to invert the Y-axis of your reticule/pointer control, which makes it really hard for people used to an inverted Y-axis (camera stick pushed up -> you look down) to enjoy the game. Furthermore, Telltale has declared repeatedly
    that they have no intention of adding in the option via patch/Title Update, despite a considerably campaign on their forums that started on release day and is still going strong. I was looking forward to the game, since I was a fan of the comic for quite some time. I enjoyed Telltale's other games on the PC, but my PC has gotten old. Ready to buy the game on release day, I still tried the Trial Version first - and was mighty glad I did. No inverted Y-Axis for the "aiming" makes games pretty much unplayable for me. Call it muscle memory, or a trained reflex, or simply the accumulated force of neurons and axons that have been used in this specific way for decades. While this handicap might not be as bad in a point&click adventure like this, there are still action sequences that require you to aim or quickly point at something, and it it's incredibly annoying to feel like someone reversed the controller in your hand.

Some people are obviously not affected ,some people might not mind, others might be able to "re-train" themselves just for this game, but I refuse to do so, for the simple reason that there is no valid argument whatsoever for a game these days not to have this option. Telltale's outright refusal to integrate it only adds insult to injury. It's something incredibly simple to do, something that can in no way whatsoever adversely affect the game for anyone, yet Telltale does not seem to care. And as such, I see no reason to buy their game, no matter how much I would've enjoyed it.
  27. Feb 12, 2013
    Where's the game? This is essentially a choose your own adventure comic book. The format was tired in the early 80s with Space Ace and Dragon's Lair and it's no more enjoyable today 30 years later.

The story is engaging but the pacing is terrible as it stops while the player tries to solve a puzzle. The game is non existent, limited to finding and using items in puzzles that a 5 year
    old could solve and mashing buttons in QTEs. We are a looooong way away from the cryptic imagination high of Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island. The much hyped "real consequences" are smoke and mirrors. Choosing who to save and who to let die has no real consequence, the game keeps on going and presents the same puzzles and story in the next scene. Player choice is rigidly restricted and often what the player wants to do and would choose to do in that situation is not presented as a choice so they are forced to pick an option which doesn't resonate with them emotionally thereby reducing further emotional attachment to both characters and story.

They should have released this as a non interactive mini web based series like The Guild. If you want a fun zombie game with an emotional response, play Left4Dead and read the wall graffiti. Now THATs how you tell a story without sacrificing the game.
  28. Dec 12, 2012
    One of the best stories in a game, makes you feel for the characters and regret your hard decisions even though you know in your heart it was the right choice.

Speaking of the right choice, the right choice is to buy this now!
  29. Dec 18, 2012
    This game is so damn awesome on so many levels I cannot even describe it. Every second is suspenseful and you have no idea what might happen next. The character development is excellent, and for having 5 different writer's for each episode, they did a good damn job overall. Actual game play may not be that spectacular compared to other zombie games, but there is enough to suffice. Overall this game was amazing, and definitely deserves to be one of the best games of the year 2012. Expand
  30. Dec 11, 2012
    It may not be action packed, but it really touches the game like no other, and I find pretty cool to see how other people reacted to the same situation when I finish an episode.
  31. Dec 16, 2012
    The walking dead is best Arcade game that i playing! very nice very fun.i am very happy because i know we can continue playing this game in season 2 so i give this game 10 out of 10 !
  32. Dec 19, 2012
    The Walking Dead is powerful BECAUSE it's a video game. Though it may not often feel like one. The choices you make feel real. The consequences resonate in your heart. The characters transcend polygons. They become your friends. Telltale shows just how powerful this medium can be. Through the gameplay, you become Lee. You care for Clementine (one of the most brilliantly written characters EVER). Movies and books do this to an extent. But nothing like Telltale's The Walking Dead. The barrier is shattered. And that's what ultimately makes it so heartbreakingly beautiful. Expand
  33. Dec 29, 2012
    THIS GAME IS GREAT. One of the best games I have ever played, and I can't remember the last time a said it about a game.. The story is so captivating, engaging, unexpected, and just plain amazing. I highly recommend it. Whoever wrote this is a genius. The story was so good, I felt it was better wrote than some movies out there. Let me just clear something up first. The only negative comments about this game complain that there is no real gameplay and the choices you make dont really give a difference. In reality, here is what is going on. This game is not like a regular game. There arent really a good amount of controls, but that isn't bad. This game plays out more like an interactive movie and the gameplay is different. This does not in any way take away from the awesome quality of the game. And I don't know how people say the choices dont matter. About half of the story is not influenced by your decisions, but that other half that you control with your choices is equally important as the other half. The choices you make in this game are vital, it's not like they don't mean anything, and they even carry on through episodes, which makes you really think about the long term affect of your actions. The character development was also outstanding, so much to the point that by the end of episode 5, I was so attached to the characters and it made me want more out of the story. The Walking Dead won 2012 Game of the Year. Wow. It definitely deserved it. That alone is impressive. It has received TONS of accolades. Definitely more worth my money than the Halo 4 or Black Ops 2 storyline gave me. You will be so happy when you start playing this game. It doesn't start out slow. It begins and ends with a bang, as it should. Try not to read any spoilers along the way, or any guides. You will be better off trying to get through the game on your own and then you can rewind or start a new game in a blank game slot to see how different Lee's journey would've been if he made some different choices. The last episode is just perfect. They could not have written it better. The music fits perfectly and adds awesome suspense, adding to the amazing craft of the game. There are great twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat for every episode. You go into the last episode expecting certain things from this season finale, and it gives you such a rewarding conclusion that sets you up perfectly for season two, also the best episode in my opinion (sorry for the ambiguity, I just really dont want to give anything away!). I wish season 2 would come out right now! Gahh!!! You will probably feel the same after you are done.Thank goodness that season 2 will come out in 2013. I hope that the wait wont be too long. Definitely a 10/10. Expand
  34. Jan 18, 2013
    Now i played this "game" for 3 days. What i think about it ? Well, people don't like liberty. That's why Obama was re-elected and that's why TWD was GOTY 2012. It's an extremely restrictive "game" with an acceptable story. It's not a game, it's a movie. There is no real gameplay and the graphics are poor. If i wanted to buy something ONLY for it's story, I would have bought the TWD TV series on Blu-ray. TWD HQs are so much better than this. Buy the HQs instead of this "game". Expand
  35. Dec 30, 2012
    This game makes you feel. I have never been so emotionally attached to a video game character like I am to Clementine, Lee must stop at everything and consider Clementine in all of his actions. This game makes you feel desperate and afraid to turn the next corner. It may be lacking in the actual " game" part (mostly quick time events) but the story sure as hell makes up for the game play. I'm not sure if it deserves game of the year status, but it is definitely the best story told this year, and one of the best stories ever told in gaming. Expand
  36. Jan 10, 2013
    First i wanna say the game is good as far as story , however as everyone else already said the choices you make dont effect anything at all in the end except a few characters may not be with you, but there disposable characters and just added in for a filler. Overall there is little to do , levels are very very linear no exploring at all, and thats very disappointing. this could have been so much better, and for those inverted players out there forget it u cant change controls.... wow how did this get game of the year Expand
  37. Jan 18, 2013
    This game has a gripping and fast-paced story, with beautiful detail and memorable characters. It is a welcome and long-overdue change of pace from your standard shoot-em-up zombie game. Plus, it is easy to play and has an intuitive interface.

The Walking Dead is one of the few games that I've played in recent memory that not only evoked an emotional response from me, but that I
    completed from start to finish. Because I am an older gamer with three young kids, that is a luxury I can rarely afford. This game was worth it. I would highly recommend it to older, more experienced gamers that want to have an engaging experience without the stress of competitive gameplay. Expand
  38. Apr 5, 2013
    I haven't played a game with so much emotional interaction and player's choice as this one in a long time. The game play is rather simple in such a way that you locate objects and interact with them to progress through the game as cutscenes play out. Conversation is also an important role as you and your fellow survivors begin to bond or become antagonists along the way. I've read some who say that there isn't any real player choice, and yet, having to choose who to save and let the other person be eaten is a very profound choice that you'll find yourself making. Considering the price for the overall series and the payoff in entertainment that you'll receive, this game is a must have. Expand
  39. Dec 17, 2012
    This series of episodes starts out a bit rough but when you look to a book or movie, the ending is really what becomes the deciding factor. And that's the amazing thing about this game, is that the storytelling is comparable to a book or movie. The gameplay and graphics have their rough patches here and there, and there are times where you may need to look up a guide because nothing makes sense. But all in all, this game portrays a great story and one that is well worth checking out. For anyone on the fence about this game, play through the first two chapters (roughly 4 hours) and you will not regret it for a second. The fact that you can get all this for $20 is amazing. You actually get to highly influence the story and how all of the characters (live or die) will keep pushing towards the end. The 3rd and last chapter of it all are really mindblowing, particularly the last. I was really floored by the story on this one, and that truthfully hasn't happened to me since I played through the first bioshock. I can't think of many things that provide more value for $20. Check it out if you haven't. You will not regret it. Expand
  40. Dec 20, 2012
    My GOTY for sure. First, for the handful that doesn't call this a "game" is an unfair statement. You walk around the environment, solve basic puzzles to traverse the levels, have some light shooting and of course make decisions that your group will or will not back you on.

The story is far and away better than the TV show because its based more on the comic book universe which is a
    braver world, one where death can be drawn out and heartbreaking, or sudden and feeling lacking in resolution. The decisions really grind home the "every-man" aspect because you are no Commander Shepard, or chosen one of any kind. Sometimes your decisions haunt you, and sometimes you don't even get the luxury of choice. The result is a tight narrative story that will ultimately be the same as most people, but with a varying cast of characters to give input along the way, as well as a few major changes in the ending story. Clementine is the most fleshed out, realistic child character in any video game. She's smart, innocent and very adaptable to her surroundings. Without going into any spoilers, there were many times in many episodes where I wept at the idea of her lost innocence. Terrifying and funny. Heartwarming and infuriating, action packed and well paced are all words to describe "The Walking Dead" Expand
  41. Dec 21, 2012
    Game of the year. Nothing else has come close. The brilliant writing and acting overshadowed the minimal game play elements. So maybe it is more of an evolved graphic novel than a game.. whatever it is I want more.
  42. Feb 24, 2013
    This this is barely playable.
    Episodes 1 and 2 were fine although very laggy. but once you finish episode 2 the game freezes and won't let you play episode 3. and you even have to restart episode 2!
    I like the idea of this game but it's just unplayable...
  43. Dec 17, 2012
    This game honestly was the best game I played all year. It had something that most games lack, feeling. The story and the character development were amazing. The story had its twists and its turns. There were two main problems that cause people to dislike this game. First, the gaming part of this game is really just figuring out what to do and making decisions. While this at first seems lackluster, the story and the characters keep you wanting to play. Along with this, the decision-making can sometimes seem useless. These two things however can be overlooked by the simple fact that the story was easily one of the best stories I have encountered in years. The Walking Dead TV show could use a story as good as this. It may not be the best game ever, but it definitely should be a must play for anyone who likes RPGs. It was my Game of the Year. Expand
  44. Dec 18, 2012
    Seriously, one of the greatest gaming experiences to date, I urge anyone with the love of great games to purchase this one. The emotion that this game creates is phenomenal, very few games or movies for that fact can reach the places that The Walking Dead takes you. The gave speaks braveness and risks that few developers are willing to take. Please, ignore all the people saying this game is not a "game", it's biased comments like this that are ruining the games reputation, and preventing some from experiencing this game braking game. And please, don't try the demo and say you have made up your mind, you have to experience the game from start to finish to fully develop a opinion. I will leave you with one last not, regarding those that think that The Walking Dead is not a "game": Considering that adventure games have been going on since 1975 and been considered a legit genre of video gaming for years, I don't think you have the right to determine what constitutes as the definition of what makes a video game, well, a video game. The adventure genre has always been about controlling a protagonist in an interactive story focusing on exploration and puzzle-solving instead of physical challenges. Some of the best games were adventure games: King's Quest, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight, etc. Accept it, it's a real game and which won game of the year due to having a emotionally driven story, great voice-acting, characters that mattered, and went above being just a gaming experience. People will remember moments from this game for years. I could not care less if you hate the game, but to say that The Walking Dead is not a game is pure ignorance. Expand
  45. Dec 19, 2012
    Outstanding characters, a great script and brilliant comic-style graphics. Some of the most emotionally engaging and upsetting moments in video-game history. Only the fairly straight-forward gameplay and over-reliance on QTE stops it getting a 10 - but don't let that put you off. Absolutely my GOTY.
  46. Dec 21, 2012
    This game is amazing. I bought every episode via Xbox Live as soon as they became available and I was not disappointed by any aspect of any of the levels. The story is brilliant and the character development is phenomenal; every character has their part and every level is meaningful. This game is truly incredible and anyone who loves games should play it. One of my favourite games of the year.
  47. Dec 23, 2012
    Who said GOTY??? Me? Hell yeah!!! What a game it is....we are thrilled to the very end of the game. The first time i cried in a game ever....thanks telltale for let me see feelings i have never expected to experience in a video game. Cant wait for season 2... A big 9.5 out of 10 for me.
  48. Dec 25, 2012
    So, I finally got the game and I finished it in three days, last night playing up to half past four with christmas before and all. So let's see, what's there to like:

- Graphics are beautifully low-fi (which is what I liked best about). Sure, it's a little too polished maybe, but I still got the feeling I was watching a comic book being read out to me as a video that someone actually
    made with any kind of emotion to it while drawing. You all know this "Oh, it looks mindblowingly great", but you still don't feel anything besides that? It's different with this one. You take what you see for real, because a little human touch is still within all those textures and pixels.

- The writing: I really don't know what's there to complain about as I have read in some mixed or negative reviews. I got the season-pass via steam and i paid well below twenty euros in some kind of christmas-special and I really can't think about any movie I have seen in the last five years that even came close to "the walking dead" in terms of emotion, story and character-development (which is a word I normally hate). Get yourself any fresh blue-ray ("Prometheus" for example) and tell me you got the same value out of the script. Should that be the case: I don't believe you. Period. I immediately had a feeling for the characters, sided with them in seconds or thought "Yeah, all right, whatever you say, pal". And you might not believe it, throughout the story, I sometimes really had to bother to change my mind about some of them. And guess what, changing my mind cost me some energy to really pull through with it.

- "Freedom": That's why I compared it to movies in the first place. Sure, I have only one playthrough, sure, sometimes I felt like "Why in God's holy name did that character just die, I tried everything to not make that happen", but nonetheless I never felt angry about it, it literally broke my heart. Well not literally, but I guess you catch my drift, it's just the feeling it carried along of all of it to have been in vain. And isn't this what would happen in a world full of zombies and only thin rays of hope fading in and out? Maybe, as some other reviewers mentioned, the choices I made didn't have the huge effect that was prominently advertised before every episode, but I never cared. For almost every response I wanted to give to any character in the game, there was a dialogue option that was to choose, my favorite being "Are you **** nuts" when this was all I could think of to "say". And yes, I felt like I was actually saying it and that's what I call freedom instead of some fifteen million different endings. When you're able to build up a situation to the point, where 99 percent of the people have the choice they want to choose, then that's all right with me in terms of freedom. After all, people are just people and maybe I'm a bit simple or something, but I'll manage.

- Addictiveness: It's there, believe me. I had to think about it like half a minute every time I was to select "Exit" from the menu, even though I was running late for some family-meal already.

Now to what's caused the game to lose it's 10 out of 10:

- Invisible walls: C'mon, man, just put a solid barrier in front of where you don't want me to go. That shouldn't be too hard in terms of level design. (Although I like invisible walls better than areas you can go to that have absolutely nothing in it four you to do and you have to walk back empty handed)

- Quicktime-Events: Q and E alone? Klicking some bubbles with your mouse? How about giving me a challenge at times, please. But let's be honest, all these action-scenes are probably only in there so you could lable it as a video-game, which it barely is (which is not a bad thing to begin with). But as I said, a little more challenge and I'd have been even more involved.

- Dialogue choices are sometimes missleading. At one or two times I thought I was going to calm things down, but instead I was screaming at someone. Also they sometimes involve dialogue forced unto me that had nothing to do with what I intended to say (For made-up example: I wanted to say "I went to the carneval without you", instead of directly saying I slept with someone else there, which I wanted to reveal with my next answer, but the talked to character asked "Why?", and I said, "It's not important" without me having a chance to do anything about it any more, thus not coming clean).

- WASD to move around isn't the best option considering that "The Walking Dead" isn't an FPS most of the time.

- I really don't like being told that there is a dialogue-option when it's going to cause me to hear a non-skipable, non-ineractive, "Hey, you all right"-"Yes,-"See you later then"-cutsceen.

But all in all, 9 out of 10 it is.
  49. Jan 29, 2013
    I had heard good things about this game, and had decided to give it a try. To be frank, what I had heard about the game made me think it was overrated, but I still wanted to try it myself.

The problem? The disc version is severely broken. Stuttering and slowdown is frequent, and while it's merely an annoyance for most of the game, these issues make the life-or-death quick-time-events
    nigh-impossible to complete.

After a dozen attempts to succeed at one single QTE, I had to throw in the towel. While there's plenty of hype for this game, it can't drive me to overcome this crippling flaw in the game knowing that it won't be the last time a normally-simple task is made almost-unwinnable by poor programming. While the developer has offered to help people afflicted by faulty discs, it doesn't help people who are unable to download the digital versions of the episodes
  50. Mar 12, 2013
    I actually joined this site, just so I could review this game and warn people not to waste their money. How this game received a 92 metacritic rating absolutely blows my mind. I had just finished playing Tomb Raider (86 metacritic rating) and then started Walking Dead expecting greatness. I'll tell you it's not even close to the same league. The "stylized" graphics look weak. The gameplay, is the worst I've experienced in years. Maybe like 15 years. The story is decent but really slow do to the poor mechanics of the game. I'm a huge fan of the TV series. But I'm also a respectable gamer. No respectable gamer should be caught "dead" playing this game. It doesn't live up to the graphic novel or tv show, but in a way it lives up to the name....it's truly walking dead in the boredom department. It probably deserves a 3, but because so many people gave it a 10 which blows my mind, I'm going to balance the scales with a 0. Hope I saved you $60, go use it on Tomb Raider instead. Expand
  51. Jan 5, 2013
    I played like 10 minutes of the first episode BECAUSE IT WAS FREE. Please if you are going to give the game a 95/100 at least make an Xbox live arcade rating. Miniseries in video game format, spread over a year? Not fun. Not my type of **** This game is proof you can take ANYTHING with huge popularity and sell it off to a bunch of diehards for huge profit.
  52. Jul 3, 2013
    This isn't really a game, it's a combination of a TV show, Where's Waldo, and quicktime events.

The game engine itself is terrible on the the 360. There's no way to save other than playing to a random checkpoint, you can't invert the right analog stick, and worst of all a lot of times you have to aim with the right stick and then immediately press either A,B,X or Y. Very difficult to do
    if you only have one thumb on your right hand. Expand
  53. Apr 26, 2013
    Probably the most over hyped game ever. In fact I can't even call it a game. It's a movie where every now and then they make you hit a few buttons. Sure the story is alright (sub par when comparing to the writing of the show) but at the end of the day that's all it has going for it. I found myself slogging through it just to get the achievement points and was completely sick of it before episode 1 even ended. This sums up the game formula perfect, cut scene, click on everything on the screen, cut scene, repeat those steps dozens of time until the end of the game. I "played" the last couple episodes while doing other things like browsing the internet, that's how unlike a game this crap is. Expand
  54. Jun 6, 2013
    The Walking Dead is an experience you shouldn't miss. I recommend everyone play this, even if you normally don't care about video games. It's an emotional experience unlike anything else. It's a journey with characters that feels very real. It has the usual staples of a great game. Fun gameplay, Amazing story unlike anything else, very memorable characters that all feel real, a soundtrack that will stick... but the most amazing power of this game is it's ability to make you feel. Anger, sadness, fear, joy, guilt and regret, despair... and hope. It has one of the best morality systems in any game ever, there is no red or blue choice, there's no right or wrong choice, it's all about how you survive and what you let the world turn you into. Expand
  55. Dec 29, 2012
    One of the best games iv'e played since iv'e been gaming. An engaging story line with a great selection of characters makes this the best story driven game iv'e ever played. The game play is simple and a bit lacking but telltale has proven that you don't need great game play to make a great game. You need a great story with characters that you will care for and remember for years to come. It also won game of the year which was very well deserved in my opinion. Expand
  56. Mar 19, 2013
    Most over rated game of the decade so far, it's not worth a 10 nor is it worth a 9 or a 8. Episode 4 and 5 were a major let down, it was laggy and rather painful to play. I thought we were over the zombie fad in gaming! Stop saying it has the best story, I got news for you people, Tomb Raider and Halo 4 were written far better than this game. A few months from now I have to put up with another 5 episodes and people saying "Oh my god, it made me cry, so many choices" Boo F***ing Hoo, choices in this game don't even matter. So shut up and play Tomb Raider if you want a well written story. Expand
  57. Jan 12, 2013
    This game is fun for the first 3 episodes. Then episode 4 comes along and just ruins it. It never saves when I beat it so I have to replay alot of the episode 4 over and over again. Then get to the end and it still wont let me play Episode 5. its Jan. 12 2013. I am sure its out. Just says coming soon. Every week I replay episode 4 to get to the end in hopes I can play episode 5, NOPE. BUT when I delete the game and reinstall. I have the option of playing episode 5 but it tells me I never beat episode 4 and it will choose the decisions for me. BUT THAT IS THE GAME! so to play the last part of the game, I have to forget all the work I did and let the computer choose my path??!?! Now I am playing an Episode 5 based of choices the Computer made for me? This **** sucks. and TellTale blew me off for helping. So I have to give this game a 1. Collapse
  58. Jan 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first saw the way the game was set up after playing the demo, I was a bit disappointed. But then one day, after I was purchasing games to play on my Xbox, I spent my remaining 400 pts (or $5) on The Walking Dead - Episode 1: A New Day. My disappointment slowly began to deteriorate as I saw the major strengths of this game: the characters, the development of those characters, and the story. The story begins when the protagonist of the series, Lee Everett, is being sent to prison (which the crime is mentioned later in the story of him killing of a man who the wife was cheating on him with), but with some "luck", the car hits something on the road which causes the vehicle to flip into a wooded area. As Lee escapes from the wrecked car, he slowly begins to see that the world he once knew is becoming a barren wasteland filled with zombies (or what the series calls them "Walkers"). Later on, he meets a little girl named Clementine and takes her in under his care. And that is when the adventure kicks off!
    Throughout the game, you'll meet other characters like Kenny, Glenn from the TV series, Larry (my most hated character in the game), and many others as you go through the game. Now the character development is built by dialogue and choices. Choices that the player has to make in a select amount of time. This mechanic makes the game truly interesting with the choices people make, like which character do you save situation that makes the player decide who to save and who to let die. The characters are also a delight for this game. By learning more and more about the characters throughout the episodes, you either become more bonded to them or have more hatred towards them. This game also has a lot of moments where you are on the edge of your seat and moments when you want to cry. One of the moments when you want to cry is in Episode 3: Long Road Ahead, where you have to decide whether Kenny kills his son who is infected or Lee does it. It makes the story ever more stronger and it also makes you feel more and more attached to the characters.
    Now good things aside, there is only one problem I have with the game, the controls. The game is a point and click adventure, yet the 360 has a really weird way of pulling it off. You either move in a different direction or the game doesn't seem to click the item that you want. It gets a little bit annoying, but only for the first 5 times it happens.
    In conclusion, the game is deep with story and character development. You can either purchase this game via XBLA or buy it on retail. This is one of those games you can't miss!
  59. Jan 19, 2013
    Now, I really like The Walking Dead as a series, the show, the comic, and now the game. I started the playing the game with low hopes, but it surprised me. It was fun, got dark later on, and had a nicely crafted plot. BUT, I also had a few issues with it. While everyone says the game is completely altered by your decisions, a lot of you decisions end up not mattering within a short amount of time. And while decisions are fun, I would like them to have more of an effect later. Also, I have had various glitches for it on my PC, and I've heard many complaints about texture pop ins and freezes. Overall though, I feel this is a good game, has it's flaws, but should be played by any fan of The Walking Dead. Expand
  60. Jan 24, 2013
    There are three points that could give this game a good rating, there they are: 1) Limited time for an answer. Which is novel for such games, 2) Plot. Which is very simple actually, but it could buy your attention. 3) Nothing to compare in 2012. Good quests are so rare to see nowadays and the Telltale is only company that supports this genre. Summing it up, The game of the year ? NO! The game that you should play at least once? Maybe, if you are hungry for quests. Expand
  61. Jan 25, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a game based on the comics and television show of the same name, made by Telltale Games who is known for making point and click games. The story of The Walking Dead is gripping. You want to follow Lee and Clementine through their survival in the breakout if a zombie apocalypse. However the gameplay is not so much the same as the storytelling. After all, it is a point and click game. This game is being overhyped and overrated by it's "flawless story" and "choosing your own story and teammates" but I have to point out that it doesn't matter what who you save or do in the story the outcome is still the same. And the story isn't flawless, it's not the best thing ever. I have played games with better storylines. This game is an interactive story. Expand
  62. Apr 16, 2013
    This game is in my opinion, a cult classic in gaming history. No matter who you are, you should play this game. Everything about this game is flawless, original, gripping, perfection. Voice acting was at an all time high for this, your decisions really suck you in and make you pay the consequences. This game has everything...
  63. Apr 26, 2013
    Déception totale, jeu annoncé avec les actions du joueur pouvant influencer l'histoire et la suite du jeu....Faux 200%, les choix sont DEJA décidés. Déroulement non logique, peu de liberté au joueur, inter-action limitée avec les PNP et les objets. Avec tout le matériel, la nourriture et toutes les armes en quantité pléthorique dans les magasins et super-marchés aux USA (où est censé se dérouler l'histoire), il est impossible de croire que le au joueur ne puisse s'armer, se nourrir ou faire démarrer un véhicule: NON SENS dans ce pays. L'épisode du cannibalisme est le plus stupide que j'ai jamais vu, seulement développé pour choquer. Je regrette vraiement cet investissement. Expand
  64. May 2, 2013
    Just WOW... Didn't see that coming today I tell ya.We are in 2013 what kind of is this,They made these sort of games 16 years ago when I was kid.I feel scammed.

The graphics are such crap that I would prefer reading the comic than finish this game and the game play is so simple that a 2 year old could do this...

I still cant believe how this rating is so high.Are they paying you
    for these good rating?Seriously wtf! Expand
  65. Jun 3, 2013
    This game is one of the worst games I’ve ever seen. The graphics are slow, and provide no realistic motion. The game requires a reload at almost every camera angle change. The dialogue must have been written by a moron with Tourette’s Syndrome. The idiot protagonist trips over everything in sight, and there isn’t anything you can do about it. The story line is a guy is being transported by an incredibly old and chatty Sheriff’s deputy to jail, and they have an accident killing the Deputy. The rest of the story concerns the prisoner trying to get away from the hordes of zombies. If the X-box controller’s complete capability had been utilized it might have been more interesting, but no such luck. In fact the controller is completely worthless most of the time, as the characters do not react to input from the controller unless it shows on the screen as a decision point. Why would someone write a program in which the triggers on the controller don’t fire the guns..? The graphics looks like it came out of a bad 1950’s TV show. Was the purpose of the lame graphics to try to make it look like the comic book..? If that was the purpose then the game should have been priced the same as the comic, rather than costing $50.00. It get’s worse the deeper you get into this joke of a game. The game is disappointing on every level. Expand
  66. Sep 15, 2013
    This game changed my opinion on point click games, this game was based off of the walking dead series and for the most part this is the best story out of the whole walking dead universe. The tv show is ok and the comic books are great but the best is this game. The thing that I'm constantly telling people is that this is my favorite because its on my favorite media, games are a huge part of my life and I don't really like the show because of how the story is told. The comic books are the original bases for the whole story that been said the story of Lee and Clementine is my favorite story that has ever been told. They have the best relationship out of anyone in all of the books and in the tv show. The whole reason this game is really great was because of the characters the writes made, the whole experience was amazing and I can't wait to play season 2. Expand
  67. Aug 25, 2013
    Please, please, please, don't buy this game. TTG released a totally broken product (Disc on 4GB slim doesn't work *at all*, signifigant, game-breaking issues on every other version. There was obviously little to no QA done on this at all and TTG has done little to nothing to resolve the issues and let people know. You see a lot of GOTY ads, but nothing about how you can't even play it if you don't have a hard drive. Thanks TTG for giving me a massive headache. Expand
  68. Dec 8, 2013
    I know, its very stupid to put a 0 to a masterpiece
    but the point is THE GAMEPLAY IS HORRIBLE
    THIS GAME COULD BE FUN BUT IS LIKE A MIX
    OF MASS EFFET WITH HEAVY RAIN I DONT LIKE IT
    ANYWAY,I MUST ADMITE THAT IS MASTER PIECE
    BUT I DONT KNOW,THIS GAME IS NOT FOR ME
  69. Oct 24, 2013
    One of the most engrossing and captivating stories ever told. Some may say this barely qualifies as a videogame due to a lack of interactivity but you do play a large portion of the title directing your characters and interacting with the environment. The choices you make may not change the overall outcome of the story but it is huge fun just being absorbed in the gripping narrative and just waiting to see what happens next.

It is definitely worth playing through a few times to experience all possibilities and if season 2 can add more depth and choice; we'll have another stunning and thrilling game to explore.
  70. Apr 30, 2014
    The Walking Dead game is a great example to all gamers on how to make your choices matter in a game. What makes this game great is the characters, the story, the setting, and the experience overall.
    You play as a guy named Lee, a convicted criminal during the zombie outbreak. He comes across a little girl named Clementine who he feels obligated to protect. I really liked seeing my
    choices in the game make an impact to the story overall. I thought the setting really helped the story. My favorite part of the game is the characters you meet; you really feel like anyone can die at any moment and also the acting is really good. For example when Lee first kills a zombie he reacts with an expression of “ What happened to this person?” and he expresses a real state of shock. Clementine is also portrayed as a real character as she tries to be brave but she is still only a little girl.
    The experience I had with this game is different than most others because there is not much game play, its all really a point and click game. The timed decisions mechanic is great; you sometimes only have a few seconds to make a decision which really adds to the tension and panic of the situation. The game is broken down into five episodes, each are about less than two hours. If you are a fan of the walking dead show then I highly recommend buying this game as its the best point and click game I have ever played.
  71. DME
    Jan 18, 2013
    It's more of an interactive movie than a video game. But, if you're okay with that, it has an excellent story and great voice acting. Lots of cool moments and it's especially interesting to see how your choices affect them. The only flaw I found in this game is it's persistent framerate drops during cutscenes. (In other words, the animations lag a lot).
  72. Jan 7, 2013
    These guys have good writers and the TellTale engine supports doing that; writing directly to gamers a zombie movie in so many parts is successful and this is one of the few games I'm on my second time through and limited it may be replay wise I just love the different ways to get my characters killed and chose to slay. The comic series is a good playground for writing plays and this is very much like seeing a play with button clicks and dramatic choices you imagine in the comic's atmosphere. If you want a single player puzzler this isn't it. I've played Myst even read the novels and loved it, this is just different in its scope and delivery. If you want non-linear gameplay or rpg this isn't it. Its a narrative from start to finish and you don't get side quests for rewards and extra characters because its a story without that as its features. I see a lot of 10's and a few 0's and I want to prevent fellow gamers from spending money on something without knowing its origins or why certain aspects are relevant. Follow the story of a man with a couple choices in a zombie apocalypse. If you don't like graphic novels you might not like playing one literally. Expand
  73. Feb 11, 2013
    This is the best game I've played in weeks. Graphics, sound, gore, plot, gameplay, controls. All top notch. And the way it ties back into the plot of the TV series is incredible.
  74. Mar 4, 2013
    This is outstanding storytelling and character building on display and it carries the entire game. The Graphics are decent and have a nice style, but sadly the animation is terrible and the cut scenes are often choppy. Telltale has always been extremely bad at things that are as basic as lip sync and walking animations (the characters look like they are skating on ice and not natural) and it boggles my mind that they haven't upped their game by now. For a simple game of decision making and a few action sequences, you would think that they could at least have it run smoothly. The ONLY saving grace which makes this game incredible is the story and the voice acting which is so strong that it makes up for these shortfalls. Hopefully, Telltale will not lean on this crutch again though, because without it it is clear to see that they are way behind the times. This game was way better than their other games based on beloved franchises that they are cashing in on, but they need to realize that if they spent the extra effort to really optimize the experience they could not only create something memorable, but truly flawless. ---Sorry but there should NOT be objects that are clipping and disappearing during cut scenes and flickering textures. It is just lazy--- with all of that said though, the story is still very fun and keeps you wanting to play through the end. It is worth a play, just don't expect a polished all round experience. Expand
  75. Jan 5, 2013
    This game was a real treat, and I dont even like most point-and-click type games in the first place. If youre a fan of the show then you'll definitely like this for sure- its like an interactive season of the show- its that good!!!
  76. Mar 9, 2013
    This is a truly phenomenal gaming experience. Deeply immersive thanks to flawless voice acting and script and the way your every choice effects the way you progress. I was expecting great things from Telltale games after having enjoyed their monkey island games but they've really gone all out here. Has an old school feel to it to due to the adventure aspect, which is really refreshing. It's completely unique, innovative, and I just can't praise it enough really. I feel like I'm actually living in a zombie apocalypse when I play it. Intense and brilliant. Expand
  77. Jan 13, 2014
    Captures the essence of The Walking Dead Comic Book perfectly!

This game is truly a masterpiece. The Walking Dead has fantastic gameplay that relies on the player choices moreso than anything else and the game benefits from this as there are many heart-pounding sections that require quick thinking or else the Zombies kill one of your extremeley likeable comrades!

These characters are
    even better written than they are in the TV Show and engage the player into their unique back stories that are inextricably linked to the present events. Everything feels right; not a single objective in the game seems pointless. Character development here is one of the best in this medium as each character goes through their own grim, adult and realistic arcs that are very intriguing - It sucks you in right from the get-go.

The graphics are perfect! Brings the comic books to life better than anything else (I really wish the TV Series followed up on this style as it actually resembles the source material.)

Overall, a true modern masterpiece and a perfect representation of The Walking Dead by Telltale Games. The Zombie genre has never been better!
  78. Jan 20, 2013
    Well scripted, emotive and thoroughly enjoyable game. Loved the graphic novel style graphics and was very impressed with the voice acting of all the characters. The writers know how to surprise and you genuinely feel for the characters and care what decisions you make. You don't want to make a decision that affects the future plot but sometimes the game does not leave you a choice. The game has a good pace and does not overload you with hectic or dull moments. My only criticism is that a few times the save time affects some of the more cinematic moments and made the first few seconds stutter a bit. But this is so easily overlooked. I liked the episodic style and next time on the walking dead parts, but I thought the gap between each chapter was a bit long in the release schedule. I would have preferred these to be a little shorter but I realise the studio had reasons. I hated the end of the game. Knowing that there was nothing left to play! However I wanted to go back and replay making different choices. I hope they make a sequel and also would love to see other games made in this way. Must Buy! Expand
  79. Jan 1, 2013
    The Walking Dead Game was incredible, Lee Everett is the best game character of the year, maybe one of the best of all time. My hat goes off to Telltale Games for creating such a memorable experience, and I definitely expect more in the future. It is my personal game of the year, I enjoyed it more than Mass Effect, and I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet, but it most certainly was an unforgettable ride. Expand
  80. Aug 1, 2013
    I normally don't like this type of game but I liked it very much. Big fan of The Walking Dead series. This game was very fun, although I got stuck at times because I'm an idiot. lol
  81. Dec 26, 2012
    Amazingly powerful story, that's all that's there to be had here, no real innovative gameplay, but the story is more than worth it. It doesn't half ass its adaptation to your choices like almost every other game, and breaks dozens of tropes.
  82. Mar 27, 2013
    Not a fan of point-and-click style, but this game deserves to be applauded. The apocalypse theme once again is proved that it is not yet old-fashioned. The different choice throughout the game will keep you play, the impressive voice-acting is also a good factor. No real action can make this game boring somehow, but worth a try
  83. Nov 10, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a point and click adventure game created by Telltale Games. I've tested the game on PC, and the compelling story, along with visuals reminiscent of the comics and really interesting characters made it one of the best games of 2012, with some glitches that weren't game-breaking, but a little annoying. The on-disc console version, however, not only ramps up the amount of glitches in the game, but also lags pretty much constantly. In a game like this where quick-time events can appear from nowhere, this is a flaw that can bring the entire game down.
    The story is still one of the best in the "The Walking Dead" franchise and probably of all video games, while the main characters are the best duo. However, the core gameplay is near unplayable because of one horrendously major flaw: lag.
    You see, in The Walking Dead, most of the game is spent in three sections: "pointing and clicking", quick-time events, and dialogue choices. The thing is that, the two latter are almost impossible to win unless you already played them and know which button you must press. The first part is the only one that can be played normally, but even then, it's the one the game least focuses about.
    In the end, it's a shame that The Walking Dead turned out to be a horrendous port. A compilation of the five episodes would have easily got a 9 or a 10, but when more than half of the game is full of glitches, it's a wonder if Telltale tested this release. This could be a 1 point game, but the story it's still the best in gaming. Also, certain episodes hold better than others (Both episode 2 and 5 ran without any major problems, with some hicc-ups. It helped that these). With a GotY edition and the second season right around the corner and Telltale saying that the latter will be a lot less buggier, luckily we'll have a new on-disc release of these wonderful games that isn't as buggy. Don't buy this version at all. Obtain any other version.
  84. Jan 19, 2013
    Telltale Games have created a niche for themselves where their graphic adventure titles such as Sam and Max and Back to the Future. The Walking Dead Season 1 takes this formula to create an interactive movie. To be honest there is very little actual gameplay to be spoken of other than the odd simple puzzle to solve.

Fortunately however the creators have managed to create an engrossing
    tale full of interesting characters and, although your choices actually have very little on the overall plot, they do have an impact on the way the other characters think of you. As a result most gamers will quickly become invested in the events that transpire and with some truly unexpected twists and turns along the way most players will be compelled to see Season One right through to its conclusion. Expand
  85. Oct 14, 2013
    This game series brings to light an old argument over what qualities of a game matter the most. Does gameplay make a videogame worth playing or does the story? With this divergent entry in the Walking Dead universe, Telltale presents us with compelling characters, difficult choices, and a path we help to create. They've placed all their eggs in the story basket. In doing so, the gameplay such as quicktime events and slow exploration is bland and not very entertaining. But the conversations, the choices, and the personalities keep you playing. You'll have a hard time putting your controller down because much like the television series, you won't be able to wait for what comes next. Telltale did the Walking Dead justice, but I do wish the game part of the game was better. Expand
  86. Dec 28, 2012
    You can't deny its emotional potency and engagement, but the illusion of choice seems to fall away as you realize you've been funneled through a tunnel. The story itself is worth the purchase, but its gameplay and "choose-your-own-adventure" mask really aren't that fantastic.
  87. Aug 21, 2013
    Telltale Games have succeeded in creating a new type of game. An interactive story where characters, dialogue and decisions take precedence over the hand-eye co-ordination required of gamers in FPS or racing games. The puzzles are fairly simple and are successful in some, but not all, of the episodes. However, the storyline is fantastic and elicits rare emotion from gamers. The whole season is a rollercoaster ride of emotion and leads us to an ending that is brave and thought-provoking. Expand
  88. Mar 9, 2013
    This is even better than Dreamworks Superstar Karting for the PS3 and Xbox 360 (but only by a little bit). Fantastic game, amazing lead characters, can't wait for the sequel.
  89. Mar 15, 2013
    Harrowing. Absolutely harrowing. Such a great story driven experience. The first episode is very slow, but fight through it because the rest is fantastic. I would have given it a but for the odd graphical glitches, and little things such as characters lips moving when they have finished speaking, which jars you out of the zone periodically.
  90. Oct 14, 2013
    The Walking Dead tells perhaps the most engaging, phenomenally written, character driven, decision impacting and tension-packed stories ever told in a video game. Only time will tell. But anyone and everyone who loves an incredible story should definitely play this.
  91. Dec 28, 2012
    It's fun for at least one playthru. The story is great, and there are plenty of surprises. Characters come and go in dramatic fashion, and you never know who is "safe". It's a semi-throwback to the old Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry style of play, with point and click puzzles and the occasional quicktime battle. Fun game!
  92. Jan 19, 2014
    Telltale's The Walking Dead is absolutely amazing! This choose-your-own-adventure-esque zombie games provides a fantastic story that has plenty of emotional depth as well as some jump-out-of-your-seat scares. Featuring characters that players can care for (that are fantastically well-acted of course), players can fully immerse themselves into the experience that is The Walking Dead game. You may be thinking why have I not given this game a 10 out of 10. Well, the game certainly has some technical hiccups, such as the occasional bad frame rate, tedious load times and other glitches like that. But those technical flaws aside, The Walking Dead is a must play and an experience worth experiencing. NOTE: The game might leave you in tears by the end. Expand
  93. Jan 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This it's not a "game" as we usually think about. This is more than a movie in which "you" are the protagonist. You can choose what to answer to questions, what to say and how to live throughout the story. In the end i almost cried, it was so deep, so "real"... just like a movie/tv series masterpiece. I liked it very much, many hours of "playing" spent well. Thank Telltale! Expand
  94. Jan 6, 2013
    I was sceptical when I bought the first episode of Telltale's Walking Dead game. I thought I had an idea of what was going to happen, and it left me smiling. This is my game of the year (2012). I literally can't wait for the next season.
  95. Jul 22, 2013
    Rarely does a game make me tear up multiple times and even rarely does it make me scream at my TV in disbelief. This is one of the best games I've ever played in my life. This game proves that games don't need amazing "The Last of Us" graphics to make a great game. 10/10
  96. Feb 7, 2013
    As a big follower of The T.V. Series I considered giving this game ago and see what the big hype was about, and surprisingly, I was completely taken aback of how compelling and rewarding the story was! I find it very hard for people to fault this game apart from some very minor things like frame rate. By far one of the best XBLA games I've ever played! Even before the 1st episode became free 400 Microsoft points is a bargain! but now that the 1st episode is free you reallly should give it a go! You will not be disappointed! Choose your decisions wisely! an EASY 10/10 Expand
  97. Jan 23, 2013
    Despite its plethora of invisible walls, glitches, screen tearing, and straight out freezes, The Walking Dead: A Telltale Game Series manages to touch an emotional level that no game has really ever achieved. The decision never feel fixed, even when they are. But many other decisions have a severe impact on the remaining track of the game. Its the best decision tree in a video game yet, and brings interactive gaming to a new level. Expand
  98. Dec 31, 2012
    The Walking Dead is a worthwhile game to play for any fan of the series. Each episode is about 1 hour long, so you should be able to beat the game in about 5 hours. The art style stands out and shows it is geared more towards the comic book rather than the TV show. If you are a fan of Telltales point and click adventures this game will suite you well. This is the most polished and best Telltale games outside of the Lego realm. Expand
  99. Jan 3, 2013
    Incredible game, intense emotion and very good character, and the story, well, simple amazing, It's a must buy, a very good visual active novel!, Congratulation to Telltale!
  100. Mar 7, 2014
    This game IS overrated but it's still a solid game. The most overrated aspect of the game is the story. While it serves it's purpose to drive the game and the player forward, there was nothing outstanding about it. There was no character in the game that matched the level of Rick or Daryl from the show. However, it was nice that it felt like no character was 'safe' from death, as that added some suspense. The art style is good enough, but the performance leaves a lot to be desired. A game like this simply should NOT have screen tearing and problems keeping a solid, non-stuttering frame-rate. All of that being said, the game is still a high-end of average experience and is worth a playthrough if you're a fan of the comics/show/genre. Just be aware that it plays like a highly interactive, choose-your-path, storybook. 7/10 Expand
  101. Jan 12, 2013

1. Jan 29, 2013
    This series offered some of the most memorable hours we spent holding a gamepad during 2012. [Feb 2013, p.102]
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    A masterclass in how to tell stories in games. [Issue#94, p.80]
  3. Jan 7, 2013
    Engaging, dramatic, touching: The Walking Dead is one of this year's masterpieces. Absolutely a must-have.