8.6

1. Dec 20, 2013
    If you were a fan of Season 1 then this Season 2 is exactly what was anticipated and more. It would of been easy for them to play it safe and just extend the original story of Clementine, tying up loose ends as they go... But they haven't. They've broke new grounds in terms of narrative and decision making and emotional moments all of which is what made Season 1 so great. The amazing thing is that in a zombie world, the last thing you'd want to be is a little girl. And that's exactly how this game makes you feel, a vulnerable child being thrown from pillar to post in order to ensure survival. They've done an amazing job truly making you feel in the shoes of Clementine. After the first episode, there's so much room for growth. So far this hasn't disappointed! Expand
  2. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fantastic episode. I had some concerns about playing as Clem, since I care about her and want to protect her, but not being her. However, it turned about perfectly fine... I still love her and in a way i can still protect her as being her.... The opening of the episode is jaw dropping for me, really good.. The dog scene is quite dog, no one wants to kill a cute dog.... The stitches scene is, just so intense.... The ending is just ok, i really dont care neither of them All in all, an amazing and a strong start for season 2.... (I put the review in PC by accident, I played the game on xbox) Expand
  3. Dec 20, 2013
    The Walking Dead: Season 1 ranks in my top ten games of the PS3/Xbox 360 era. Telltale games completely revitalized the point-and-click genre that I enjoyed so much when I was younger and Lucas Arts was churning out classic after classic. The tradeoff, however, from those days of Sam and Max and Indiana Jones is that the puzzles have diminished in complexity in almost the same degree that the story and emotional involvement in the game have increased. Unfortunately, The first chapter of Season 2 sees a further drop in the complexity in the logical puzzles which Clementine encounters; but the story the characters, and Clementine’s difficult choices are on par with the best moments of Season 1.

Telltale Games once again shows the humanity of the people scattered about the increasingly resource-scavenged and dangerous landscape. People are pushed into desperation and enough time has gone by since the beginning of the infection that people have adapted and have become consumed with the reality of a situation that just does not seem to get better. Some are even facing the prospect of bringing new life into this living hell. People distrust out of past trauma and are territorial and selfish of possessions out of a strict sense of survival the smallest of generosities, then, can make an average person look a paragon. In this world, the characters are consistent and believable; they act as I imagine people would in these situations, and therefore I can become emotionally tied to this story care about the decisions I make.

Telltale takes these decisions and fashions a unique experience for each player.
    Personally, I weighed my decisions and made them, as best I could, in the role of the Clementine that perhaps I would perhaps have turned out to be given all that had happened. I measured the loss, the lassitude, and the uncertainty of the times and made choices that showed the effects of Clementine’s childhood being stripped in a death-soaked, paranoid world. At these moments, the game simultaneously became superb storytelling and cause for introspection.

Still, this is an interactive game and as such, is a bit weak. Action-wise there were some great moments where I was pounding my controller’s button with genuine desperation and panic, but there were also some moments where only the most minimal effort on my part was enough to see me through a very perilous situation safely. The puzzles, as well, were also far too easy this time around. The range of exploration was quite small and the use and function of nearly all items was clear even before they were picked up. No one expects Telltale to produce a game like Dark Souls, but cleverer problem-solving and more challenging action sequences would definitely be welcome.

This current chapter is a bit disappointing in terms of play, but the gnawing sense of anticipation I feel to be able to place this episode into its full-season context assures me that these games are truly something special.
  4. Dec 29, 2013
    Not entirely sure what the PC critic reviewers were playing, but clearly it wasn't this...

TWD S1 remains one of the best gaming and storytelling experiences of all time, offering the first true example of multi-threaded narrative defined by player choice. So many games claim to do this, but offer a hollow imitation and choices that really mean nothing to the player. TWD is an emotional
    rollercoaster and one of the only games to ever make me shed a tear for the characters.

TWD: S2E1 is a fitting return to the series. The pacing is a lot slower than the end of S2 as you would imagine after a change of protagonists, the story needs time to set up new characters and situations. Despite a sometimes slowed down pace, you are never far from an action-packed scene of tension and horror. This is an episode that doesn't shy from cringeworthy violence or "OMG" hand-over-the-mouth moments of horror. Clementine makes a wonderful protagonist and her development from the end of S1 is marked and genuine.

The game's interface has been redesigned and improved, making use of the fantastic control system from Telltale's other absolute gem, "The Wolf Among Us". This results in interactions and conversational responses which are much faster and more fluid than they were previously. Unfortunately, TWD:S2E1 is plagued by the same technical issues that have hounded its predecessor and TWAU as well... the frame-rate is extremely choppy at times and loading screens break the tension and interaction every minute or so. I really hope that Telltale will somehow work out how to rid their games of these issues as this would make them 10 star experiences in my opinion.

In short, The Walking Dead: Season 2 Episode 1 is a fitting return to one of gaming's most surprise gems and features everything you'd expect from the next iteration of 2012's GOTY (and indeed, one of gaming's pinnacle achievements of all time). Don't delay in getting hold of this excellent experience, and be sure to pick up a Season Pass while you're at it for a discount on the future episodes believe me, you won't want to miss them!
  5. May 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Much of the focus of this opening episode is on the, now player controlled, Clementine from Season One to the extent that many of the new characters get very little screen time. As a result decisions involving their fate don't have the same weight they did previously. Focusing so heavily on Clementine rather than the cat as a whole also negated one of the first seasons strongest aspects, namely the interaction between the player and NPC characters, and puts too much emphasis on the still rather uninvolved and uninspired gameplay.

Despite these minor issues Telltale Games seem to have set up a potentially strong narrative for the rest of the season and Clementine is certainly a character with more depth than most video game leads. There are also plenty of gruesome scenes for all you zombie fans out there of course so roll on episode two.
  6. Feb 5, 2014
    It's one of the best episodes ever, and it's currently the second most tragical episode, loosing to Episode 5. One thing that bother me it's that all dialogues are obligatory, and there's no optional dialogue, and the interaction with other characters reduced.
  7. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

Concept: Take control of the darling Clementine this time around, with no Lee to save you or otherwise spare you from the horrible reality that is the zombie apocalypse from the mind of Robert Kirkman and the folks at Telltale weaving this new tale.

Graphics: The dark tone, yet comic look is much the same as the original season and the 400 Days episode without much change aside from some lighting and angled effects.

Sound: The tense and dreary tones continue to inspire and instill fear and anxiety in the hearts of even the most ready zombie apocalypse survivors.

Playability: The controls work a little bit better in action sequences, but are largely the same as their season one counterparts in handling and layout.

Entertainment: Although whether or not it is entertainment or moral torture is not clear, even now, the captivating world and continued cast of colorful characters astounds.

Replay Value: Moderately High.

Overall Score: 8.0
  8. Mar 2, 2014
    Clementine picks up the story of the Walking Dead really well and is still a fantastic and sympathetic character despite being 2 years older. The decisions and consequences return and it is really well written. Disappointingly it is very short at 1 hour 45 minutes tops, but it bodes well for the rest of series 2.
  9. Aug 2, 2014
    I can say that I gave WD1 a 10 and I was afraid that playing as Clem would ruin the experience. I can say that it has changed but it is still a very great experience. My rating is for season 2 as a whole and not this particular one, they are all great. Again this absorbs you into an interactive movie, where you sit on the edge of your seat making all the hard choices. Can't wait to finish the season. Expand
  10. Feb 28, 2014
    some characters were thrown out a bit quick but it is a really good start to the second series and the information they give for the next episode is a real tease......one problem i have is that its too easy to predict walker attacks in this game.....overall worth the money
  11. Feb 20, 2014
    First, don't be fooled, your choices don't matter; they are just cosmetics. Not the end of the world really, it's still a good game overall.

But you should buy/play the "game" once the five chapters are released. Because Telltale don't respect their deadlines and troll you on twitter if you're not a shill/drone. Not a surprise since they now have four projects to handle (TWD2, TWAU, GOT
    and Borderlands). Sadly too much for them, if you ask me... Expand
  12. Dec 21, 2013
    The Walking Dead: Season 2 Episode 1- All That Remains is a great experience. It sets up a great story arc for the rest of the season. My only complaint is that the framerate stutters too often and one scene felt unresponsive. These issues aside, this is a great episode.
  13. Jan 12, 2014
    This is an amazing sequel to the first season and just everything about it is just amazing, thank you telltale game you guys and girls are the best !!
  14. Feb 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The walking dead season two kicks off to a awesome start First you meet up with Christa and Omid but Omid is shot, we then visit Doc Brown to travel to the future of 16 months later where all of a sudden Clementine is separated from Christa and must SURVIVE on her own... Most epic episode ever... And for those who say I'm dead, I'm.Not.Dead. Expand

1. Feb 4, 2014
    All That Remains is a bit rougher than I would've liked and not much got established, but I have confidence that the team at Telltale can turn out a good experience. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes.
  2. Feb 3, 2014
    The first episode of the second season is the beginning of something beautiful. The emotional and impressive story is still there and Clementine is the perfect person to bring us through the emotional rollercoaster that is The Walking Dead.
  3. Jan 20, 2014
    The lack of clear black and white moral choices is as refreshing as it ever was, even if this season opener seems to hint at a slight change in tone.