4.0

1. Mar 19, 2013
    I remember when a Dragon Age 2 developer hopped on here to shower praise on their half assed game. Seems alot like what's going on here. reviews that read like a promo cash in. So, show of hands...how many that scored it 10 are employed by Activision, AMC or Terminal Reality? Ya I figured.
  2. Mar 19, 2013
    At a release price of $49.99, you know right away you're not holding a blockbuster in your hands, but The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, for what it's worth, offers some really great ideas and new directions for gameplay, even if those great ideas are balanced with an equal helping of slipshod development, hackneyed gameplay, and lazy storytelling.

On the plus side, much like the
    popular show, you're thrown directly into the action, no waiting through any sort of cutscenes or setup, and since this is the exact opposite of every other game in existence, the result is jarring, in a good way. You feel like you would if this were the real zombie apocalypse. In this prequel to the television series, you play as Daryl Dixon, searching once again for Merle, on your way toward the supposedly safe city of Atlanta. Your job is to gather supplies and make careful decisions as to how to continue through the infested and overrun state of Georgia.

Most of the time you'll find yourself sneaking around in environments peeking from behind things and doing your best not to be seen or heard by any walkers. This is where the gameplay really shines too, because the feeling you get is actually intense and scary, a feeling most popular zombie games fail to capture these days. This is true survival horror at its best: slow-paced action with extremely limited weapons, and long stretches where you may not see enemies followed by large unexpected hordes. Parts of this game will remind you of what was great about the early installments of Resident Evil The game has its own pervasive mood, that is undeniably creepy.

Survival Instinct brings a bit of fresh thinking to the genre, which varies up the gameplay a bit. You'll find yourself given different ways to distract zombies and pull hordes to one side of the map while you attempt to sneak past. You'll also find things in the environment that can be strategically traded for other things. The survivors you encounter play as much a part in the game as the walkers.

The Walking Dead environment is well sold, thanks to voiceover work from Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker, which will add a bit of enjoyment for Walking Dead fans. That said, the writing isn't as strong as it is in the TV show, and it seems to exaggerate Daryl's quiet character. He's a bit of a jerk to everybody he meets, often answering questions with one or two words when people really need his help.

Ever since Gears of War and Call of Duty, game controls have sort of found themselves to be standardized, and this game (thankfully) doesn't deviate from tried-and-true formulas. It's relatively easy to wield weapons and move about, and doesn't seem to suffer from any collision-detection issues. The HUD is simple and intuitive. NPCs behave as you would expect, and supplies are hidden without too much difficulty, depending on the paths you choose.

Unfortunately, This game won't be wowing you with graphics. Coming from Terminal Reality, the same team that gave us Ghostbusters, you would expect a better job in this department. Sadly, the drab, simple environments and terrible texture rendering make this graphically more akin to Duke Nukem, which is just plain inexcusable considering how great Ghostbusters looked when it was released 4 years ago. There are about 5 character skins. You'll kill the same zombie a lot.

In addition, the environments overall feel limited, and it was disappointing how linear the game ends up being. You would always hope that a game that pits you against hordes of the undead would give you some room in the sandbox. This game, however, is a far cry from its predecessors, like Dead Island or Deadrising. Plan on moving forward a lot, because that's the only direction you'll be going.

In the world of storytelling, there isn't much to offer either. Don't expect a lot of cutscenes or much original dialogue. It happens, but when it does, much of it is a retread of things we've done in zombie games a hundred times before. Go get batteries for this, restore the power to that, get the key to this, etc. The NPCs feel cold, flat, and uninteresting. They're exactly the same people we've met in every zombie apocalypse ever. I would almost trade them for the much more interesting, if completely retarded ones from the first Deadrising. Lastly, and this is where the game design is an utter failure, this is one of those better-keep-the-console-running-because-there's-nowhere-to-f@$#ing-save kind of games. Extremely frustrating, you can play for an hour or more without finishing an objective, and should you be faced with shutting down, you're not getting that hour back, and for some of this game's worse faults, you might want it. Of course, the price point is a saving grace. It isn't worth $60, and Activision knew it. Good on them for dropping the price. Bad on them for rushing it to market. Overall the game is worth checking out, but maybe only once the price comes down enough to justify the flaws.
  3. Mar 20, 2013
    A mediocre game at best. Mundane and boring combat, awful textures and terrible jump-scares. This is a classic example of a rushed game trying to make as much money off a successful franchise as possible.
    The voice acting is rather bad and unrealistic and it's also rather bad.

However, that's not to say there isn't SOME good parts to this game, for example the whole survivor system
    where you can send them out to look for supplies is a rather good idea.

But in the end, this game only warrants a 5/10 from me, I honestly think there was some good ideas in this, and perhaps the developers didn't get enough time or resources to fully fulfil them.
  4. Mar 20, 2013
    I checked a few of the 10/10 reviews and they were first time reviews, on only this game. They seem like mark bots. So either fans talking up the franchise or company employees or trolls. Either way, don't believe it. I'd buy this game for $15 max and that is because I'm a chump for zombie games. Terrible graphics, stupidest a.i. I have seen in years and bad plot. Shame on an otherwise decent series. It is an obvious money grab with no effort put in. Expand
  5. Mar 19, 2013
    I don't know how or WHY people expected this to be like Telltale's point and click adventure masterpiece, bought it and then got disappointed afterwards. It's a FPS survival horror and for the most part the game gets it right. The first person combat is fun, the storytelling is decent at best and the game has a somewhat unique art style to it. Visually it isn't really all that impressive but it captures the atmosphere of a post-apocalyptic, zombie ridden world quite well and, well it has that ''Walking Dead'' feel overall. All in all it's a great package. Some people coming from Telltale's Walking Dead: The Game are going to be disappointed if they expect a heart twisting story and a emotional story overall. I had fun with it, so should you. Expand
  6. Mar 19, 2013
    Oh dear...another cash in.

This game is a dreadful FPS. It looks like it was made in 2005 not 2013.

Don't be fooled, this is not on par with the excellent series and looks like the result of a rushed, mess created to satisfy those who moaned that the first walking dead was a point and click.

At the end of the day this game smell of ploppy pants and doesn't deserve your cash.
  7. Mar 21, 2013
    OOOO dear itz so beefy....poor graphics even by beefys standards, chucklevision walker a.i., only reedeming features are the beefy theme tune and the main actors voice overs....da rest, as they say, IS BEEFY
  8. Mar 19, 2013
    I love the series and I loved telltale's game so I thought this follow the succes the series is having.
    Well I think it could have been a great game but somewhere in 2004-2005 then. I've seen tons of glitches and bugs in the environment and AI. The grafics feel like i'm playing duke nukem forever again. I think that a lot of people will buy it without knowing anything about this game.
    It's short, no co-op, no effort at all really.
    Everything has been done a lot better already so this really just is a way to make quick cash abusing the good name of that the walking dead has. I would not recommend this game to anyway, maybe if you get it for free...
  9. Mar 20, 2013
    the minute I heard this was from Activision, I knew this was gonna be bad. But then again, I could always be proven otherwise, could be fun like L4D2 which is mindless shooting and is still fun: spoiler, it isn't. don't grab this one
  10. Mar 19, 2013
    This polished piece of crap locked up on me within 5 minutes of gameplay. The textures are hideous and I wish I had never preordered it. I tried to contact customer support but the developers were rude and offered no help. So far it has locked up on me ten times in 2 hours. I'm returning this to gamestop.
  11. Mar 19, 2013
    It's not the best graphic game, but overall it's surprisingly decent. Kind of a cheap Dead Island. I don't think it will appeal for everyone. If you are someone where the graphics have to be mind blowing, this game may not live up to our standard. But if you want a good time, and something till Bioshock comes out. This game might just be it.
  12. Mar 19, 2013
    Terrible game. The developers fail to make a game that grasps the player in the least. The graphics are awful, the gameplay is even worse. Don't even get me started on the story, its full of cliches and cheesy lines. Stay away from this game. Obviously, all of the good user scores are made by the pathetic activision. I would not recommend this game to anyone even to the biggest fans of TWD world.
  13. Mar 21, 2013
    EDIT* Do yourselves a favor and look how many people who gave it a 10 posted separate reviews for multiple systems for this game. Activision literally planted these people to bolster the scores. Their reviews are so off the mark it's so obvious that they're lying. Watch one gameplay video of the game and you'll see how fallacious their reviews are. DO NOT BUY THIS. *EDIT Game is actually pretty bad. Obviously rushed. You can tell from the small things like limited attack animations, barely any variation in zombie character models, bland textures, strained dialogue, maze-like levels that are covered by a veneer of non-linearity, and combat that is so dull you'll wonder why you aren't playing something else while you swing at the same zombie 5 times in a row (hitting their heads, mind you), just waiting for them to die and leave you alone so you can finally get through this barely 5-hour adventure. Expand
  14. Mar 19, 2013
    Wow this game is horrible! The graphics are choppy and so out dated, look at the hair texture on the walkers heads. I mean its like this game was made in someones basement. The AI of the walkers is a joke! They just stand around inn groups and wait to be shot! Its like you have god mode enabled all the time. The control latency is obvious movement feels sludgy and unresponsive. The missions are all the same, campaign is embarrassingly short. With a price of 49.99 at launch that alone should tell you not even activision thinks its a decent game there not even charging you full retail, evem they know this is a sub par game. I would not recommend this title to anyone. DO NOT BUY THIS Expand
  15. Mar 19, 2013
    This game blows massive chunks. Horrible plot and terrible graphics. I had hoped the game would've at least pleased me half as much as the Telltale game... So much for hope.
  16. Mar 21, 2013
    This game felt like it was headed in the right direction then some executive just stepped in and said "Release it now!" despite the fact that it was only half done.

The controls are the worst example of this half baked feeling. VERY clunky which is a deal breaker in a zombie game where you need fast reflexes to dispatch them in close combat. Weapon swings take SO LONG it would be a
    death sentence to try and fight more than one zombie with just melee weapon swings even with something like a sledge hammer. Bottom line melee in this game is totally broken and useless.

The best way to kill them is just hitting RB then side stepping behind them for an "execution" which is also WAY too quirky and buggy to work reliably.

The firearms in the game work fine nothing special but there really no point in using them because they attract every zombie on the map to your location. So the best strategy ends up being to run past everything to the end which you can do on almost every map.

If you try and go the "stealth" route which is what they clearly push in the game then you can enjoy all the melee bugs and instances of them respawning zombies right behind you to add difficulty. Then also enjoy all those free scratch hits zombies get while you try to melee with their awful combat system.

The "survivors" you pick up along the way are totally pointless. You can send them out to scavenge but supplies are so plentiful there's never a point to doing this and it ends up being a total waste of time.

The last level is horrendously bad. I won't spoil it for you but when you finish off the game you will realize just how bad and half baked this game was.

I would have loved to see what they could have done with more time and money. A better scavenging/survivor system and a much more fluid melee combat system would have propelled this game into the "good" category for sure. Sad to see this get rushed out.
  17. Mar 20, 2013
    The game is terrible. Off the gate, the gameplay videos looked terrible. Booting up the game the UI is horrendous and really out dated. The game seems to have been outsourced to college students, but none of them did the work except that one kid that didnt want to get a F.
  18. Mar 24, 2013
    I am a huge Walking Dead fan, but this game........ FANDBOYS, this game isnt worth the effort to defend. I was foolishly hyped up for it due to the excellent game "The Walking Dead", but instead we get a half assed, money grab. Not even the story could save this game!? Stop saying that the lowering of the price or the story. It sucks, its bad, please accept the fact that its bad and stop, watch the show and cry about it. Expand
  19. Mar 19, 2013
    This game is actually pretty fun to play. The way that it is setup makes it that way. The limited ammo and use of melee weapons is key to success. The stealth action is a must, and a nice change from the normal run and gun type of games this genre has seen in recent years. The only downside is that the graphics are slightly dated and that there is no co-op or multiplayer (right out of the box at least). Besides that, this game is pretty fun and may even startle you at times. It's definitely worth picking up at only $49.99. Expand
  20. Mar 20, 2013
    Firstly i started this because insulting jerks like Dagamerwitin who do not know a thing about game mechanic ,but about imagery of feces. .this game is clearly rushed to be a cash cow to take the money of fans. the other game is what should have been supported. i do believe the creators of "Star Wars Kinect" had put some real thought into this game ,but either did not have enough time to execute the game or did not have the skill. Expand
  21. Mar 27, 2013
    Lets have a look at this game shall we? Invisible walls? Check! A.I. that doesn't work most of the time? Check! Emotion? no.. Immersion? No.. An ending that closes up the story nicely and links to the Tv series? No... Graphics probably made by a monkey? Check! This game is a half arsed unfinished piece of published by greedy 'ol Bobby. Although i do merit the fact the good parts of gameplay were completely ripped off these flash games called "the last stand" which i quite enjoyed when i was a bit younger. Expand
  22. Mar 20, 2013
    If you like the cabela's hunting games then you may like this game. They have similar quality levels. The game is not open world, the environments you do play in are small. I can count the types of loot available on one hand, and the loot that is available is place in obvious places like on tables and desks. The environments are populated by alot of static debris that you can not interact with such as empty food containers that look like they should be useable but aren't. The zombies do not drop any loot. The game literally spawns zombies on top of you...on purpose; you will have no zombies around you and once you interact with a quest item...splat 3 zombies right beside you. They even spawn zombies on you right after cut scenes that force you into quicktime events that can kill you if you fail. You can not manually save, and the automatic save points are far apart when you are spend 30 mins trying to be stealthy searching a build and then die. When you die the game reloads at your last automatic save, meaning any items you have picked up and zombies you have kill are respawned. The combat mechanic is a dead island knock off that is poorly executed. You have a knock back attack that does no damage but keeps 1 zombie from attacking you for 1 second, and you have a swing weapon attack. The weapons take three or 4 hits to the face to kill a zombie and depending on your weapon require you to use the knock-back attack between swings. If you get grabbed by a zombie you are put into a quick-time event where you cross-hairs are swaying back and forth on your screen and you have to target the head of the zombie to stab it; you can get grabbed by multiple zombies back to back and they form a queue on you like their trying to by hotdogs. There are no drivable vehicles, driving is done during the loading screens where you get to watch a red line move on a map...weeee. Weapons do not break. Weapons have a set amount of damage with no range on them, so it always takes the same amount of hits to kill a zombie. The Graphics are last generation quality....animations, environments, characters, etc. Expand
  23. Mar 22, 2013
    Ill save you the time and just tell you now not to buy the game. First off, the gameplay is just sub par. There is nothing really challenging about it, and sometimes the zombies are too stupid to even make good dead people. The graphics are terrible, but that is acceptable to an extent (It not all about the visuals.) But why does it deserve a three? Because i can't think of a SINGLE good aspect of the game short of the Dixon brothers and real voice actors from the TV show. Expand
  24. Mar 19, 2013
    Almost as bad as The Walking Dead: The Game by Failtell Games. Graphics are subpar, story is meh, and the only redeeming quality is the game play which eventually feels kind of meh as well. Funny how people are saying all these things about this game that can also be directed at the Telltale Game failure. At least this has gameplay though.
  25. Mar 20, 2013
    Watch out for bots with generic names giving high ranking generic reviews below. Also with only one review in their history (for this game only). I've never seen companies do that before. My guess is marketing people at activision? lol! Staff at Metacritic should get on their IP's because it's a pretty shady way to boost a score, and very telling of the level of confidence they have in their product. Expand
  26. Mar 20, 2013
    What makes a zombie game good for me. That's really what you need to ask yourself. For me it's the atmosphere the game gives me. Been playing for around 4 hours and find it refreshing that I haven't been attacked by spitters, witches, tanks and other kind of super zombies. Just me and the walkers. Sure the graphics good be better but it really isn't that bad. I love it when you're indoors with your flashlight on and the shadows it produces. Or the grain filter it has that's also on the tv show. Love the survival feel it gives me. Stopped on a mission to push a car to clear the road and to survive had to use most ammo that I had. Traveled to my next destination and had to play different because I had no ammo left. But can see why a lot of people won't like this game. This is not like the zombie mode on BO where you end up running a little circle and make a train of the zombies again and again to survive. Expand
  27. Mar 20, 2013
    I had been looking forward to this game. RPG and FPS games are mainly what I play, but I did play the tell tale walking dead game (I read the comic, watch the show, blah blah) I thought tell tales game did not have enough options an gave less freedom than what I look for in a game, and plus there was no actual zombie fighting. So you can see why I was thrilled that this FPS game was coming out. First couple of chapters were awesome! I was kicking zombie butt! Then a couple of chapters later in the game you can see that is much more strategy than I feel necessary. There are more zombies and they are even harder to kill (One or the other folks, not both) Without giving a spoiler There are parts in the game that you HAVE to do things a very specific way and if you try to do it a different way you automatically die. Is this a glitch? A major complaint of mine is that there are no difficulty options; I like to play on easy or medium the first time through a game. This game is a difficult one and I like to play casual the first time through to get a feel for the storyline. In Survival Instinct you are too busy looking over your shoulder, while you would think that would make the game feel "authentic", it doesn't. Only being able to keep 10 items on your character? thumbs down. I see a lot of highly positive reviews... I can see that these people are not real gamers, they're walking dead fans which is awesome I like both, but I'm not going to kiss walking dead's ass for making an awful game. I really did have high hopes for this since I love gaming and walking dead, but I'm a gamer first. A note to the creators: I still love you and you can have a second chance. Expand
  28. Mar 20, 2013
    I only picked this up for my enthrallment of the Walking Dead, this kind of killed it a little. I spead ran through the game in 1hr 30mins, the graphics are mediocre at best, the story has it moments but they are few and far between. The $50 new price tag had me skeptical, and now I know why, it is a cash grab before the end of the television season. Needless to say, Gamestop will have an extra copy to sell to a sorry consumer, I am extremely disappointed in this. Expand
  29. Mar 20, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a pretty hot cup of pig fat these days. It's successful as a comic, TV show, video game, and probably bath soap if it doesn't chill off a bit. Now here's something else they've thrown at us, with yet another game those of you paying zero attention will confuse as something it's not. This one has nothing to do with that little bit of episodic business TellTale put out last year. No, this title takes its universe from that fine AMC television program where people get really short with one another and make their most serious faces, until eyes start crossing and forehead veins pop all over Lori's neck and chest.. full review at http://www.bloodwcinnamon.com/rev/walkingdeadsi.html Expand
  30. Mar 19, 2013
    This game is a must for a walking dead TV fan, it had all the atmosphere that it needs. Well worth the money if you look around its already reduced in some stores.
  31. Mar 19, 2013
    My first issue is why isn't this game about me, I mean come on already. Let's check some key character flaws in our main character Daryl Dixon. 1) Daryl Dixon is a "master tracker"..... I really can't be the only one who knows this guys spent like two weeks looking for a little girl and only found some flowers. I mean this is Georgia, Ray Charles can find a flower here. (Since I woke up from a coma I have found a bicycle, Morgan and Duane, guns, a horse, a tank, Lori and Carl, a deer, a prison and that my best friend slept with my wife. I mean the list goes on and on.) 2) Daryl Dixon uses "stealth" to take down walkers....Oh yeah, "Mr. excuse my while I put my corss bow on my back and drive the loudest vehicle I can find". Because, you only need stealth after everyone in northern Georgia knows your on the road. (I stealth killed my best friend with a knife, two guys in a bar with a revolver and some tool in a prison with a machete. I also didn't get caught while we raided a town.) 3) Daryl Dixon wears a vest with angel wings on it..... I mean really, who still wears Affliction shirts? (You got me there, I wouldn't be caught dead in that vest.) I could go on and on but you all get the point, why him and not me? Expand
  32. Mar 19, 2013
    This game is AWESOME!! For those looking for a sequel for the Telltale game this one is NOT it. This is "Survival Instinct". An FPS survival horror game for real gamers. The game play is solid and the story is very well told. It scared the crap out of me several times. I really felt like I was playing in the Walking Dead world. I highly recommend this game to anyone even if your NOT a Walking Dead fan. It is a really cool addition to the zombie genre. Expand
  33. Mar 19, 2013
    Let's just say that because this game isn't as bad as we thought, doesn't give us an excuse to fool ourselves into thinking this game is decent. We all know the graphics were lackluster in this game, so I will move through that point fast. The graphics are a little better than a ps2 game, maybe early this generation of consoles. The backgrounds looks better than the walkers(only 3 different types) and humans in the game. However, the locations in this game are very generic and boring. Here a few points that I want to hit in this review: As you will notice early on in the game is the combat. While using the knife, you basically have to slap the zombie in the face 4 times causing them to fly backwards as stiff as a board. Later on in the game some melee weapons will allow you to one-hit kill a walker in mediocre style. The knife stealth kill animation is nice at first when you sneak up on walkers, however it gets boring and actually hinders your ability to fight in some aspects. While this animation unfolds, there is no way to stop it, so walkers from all sides of you can hit you while you perform this move. Nevertheless, it would have been nice if they created animations for stealth kills with other weapons, but they didn't. Other weapons can been found such as shotguns, rifles, pistols, a crossbow(of course), axes, bats and other weapons. However, guns usually are the secondary weapon of choice and all guns act the same(since you can only shoot the zombies in the head to kill them). Creating too much noise will cause zombies to come find you(sometimes). That brings me to my next point...the zombie AI. In some situations, the AI is spot on. If you make a noise, they will find you, investigate or they will see you from yards away and confront you. Other times, you can shoot their friend right next to them and they might walk the other way. Also, they cannot reach you if you stand on top of a car or in a train car, giving you the chance to pick them off one by one. This unpredictable nature of the zombies can make the game too easy. Other times, zombies will spawn behind you and overrun you quickly. In this case, there is a real-time event when a zombie grabs you, where you have to line the button up to the zombies head(while pressing it), this in turn puts you one on one with a zombie(in a crowd) and allows you to kill them in one hit. In many cases, it is easier to use this real-time event to your advantage and pick zombies off one by one while fighting a horde. Another way in which this game disappoints is the traveling sequences(staring at a map much of the time), it all gets too predictable over the course of the game. I really wish they allowed you actually drive the vehicle. You can choose three routes(text based choices), which include highways(conserves the most gas). Each of the three choices gives you the chances of finding supplies and breaking down. If you break down, the game will bring you on a side mission to fight a horde of zombies and receive gas and supplies. Again, this gets old after a while. I agree that the inventory works pretty well, where you only have a set amount of space for weapons and supplies. However, collecting the same weapons and supplies over and over(such as energy drinks for health), drags the game down. The voice acting in this game is actually one of the things that shines. Norman and Mike really seem like they put a lot into these roles and make the game bearable. Without those two, the game wouldn't even be worth mentioning. The other survivors do a pretty good job at supporting them, albeit the story is lackluster. One other positive about this game are the survivors. The aspect of having a team and allowing survivors to help you find supplies is a great idea. However, a lot of times the survivors only find 1/3 of what you would find on your own. In most cases the reward isn't that great, but might make a difference when your close to running out of bullets. My final point has to do with the reason many people have bought the game. As a prequel to TWD show, explaining how Daryl got his crossbow. To tell you the truth, I expected an Excalibur moment. Yet, I was very underwhelmed at the point he received his crossbow. I will not go into too much depth, but it was basically like "Oh, ok that's how he got it...that sucked." I feel as though the walking dead's name was sold out here. There was so much source material to make this game great, but it just seems rushed. Also, Merle and Daryl without co-op? What a waste! I really wanted to like this game, since I am a big Walking Dead fan, but it was a 6-7 hour let down. I would say this game is not worth more than $20, if that. There is no game ending glitches that I have noticed yet, but there is nothing special about this game. This game is nothing more than a half-finished disappointment. Expand
  34. Mar 21, 2013
    I really enjoy this game! It's exactly what you want in a horror survival game. It's fun and to the point. This game is not for video game( gamerZzz") elitists, people that LARP or otherwise have no interpersonal social skills. It's a video game for the Everyman who want to slays some bodies.
  35. Mar 21, 2013
    Ok, let's get one thing straight. This is not Telltale's Walking Dead nor did I expect it to be one, I expected this to be at least enjoyable zombie bashing game, but no. First of all the graphics. Good graphics don't make good game but c'mon! If I pay full retail price for a game I expect to have at least good graphics! This is XBLA quality and this belongs there if even deserving that. Then the enemies, or should I say enemy, the zombie. You basically kill this same zombie a million times over the course of the game, this slow moving, brainless zombie that just comes toward you. I didn't expect them to have stellar AI seeing as they obviously are zombies, but they could've at least thrown some human enemies there, like the comic book, tv show and even Telltale's game had. Human enemies make you see other side of the zombie apocalypse and what people are capable of if they need to survive. The show especially captivates this feeling perfectly. Combat itself is just boring, just boring and boring is the worst sin a game can make. It's not bad story and voice acting, bad gameplay, bad graphics or lots of bugs, those can make the game fun to play even though they're bad, there are lots of examples, but WD:SI is just boring. No game should be boring to play. I just don't understand how people can give this game positive reviews, probably because they don't know better and don't understand the point of Walking Dead, and this isn't Walking Dead. Outside of Daryll, nothing here says Walking Dead. No caring about the people you come into contact with, basically no feel of surviving and it just becomes annoying. People are saying stuff like "fans will love this." NO! Just no! If you're fan, you will stay the f**k away from this, WD franchise doesn't deserve this kind of treatment and fans should be the ones who criticize this game harshly to make developers understand that this kind of s**t is not ok, it's not ok to make bad games and piss in the eyes of fans of this franchise or any franchise. Say no if you're fan of WD, maybe then we could actually get another awesome game like Telltale's WD, or even game like Survival Instinct that ACTUALLY is good. But as long as you people keep giving bad games positive reviews and giving them the assumption that this kind of crap and mediocrity is ok, no. Just say no and make them give us actually good and worthwile games. Expand
  36. Mar 19, 2013
    The game is very nice but the graphics isn't vvery amazing.I like the overall of this game lot of action and interesting storyline.Not so good as teltate game but still it looks nice.
  37. Mar 21, 2013
    Graphics are bad, but hey, i like zombies and i like the walking dead series. So for me this game is pretty good. And graphics doesen't matter so much.
  38. Mar 19, 2013
    First of all, been waiting LONG time for this game! Thought it was awesome that Amazon was running it for about $37! The game is rad so far, saw a few wonky glitches here and there, but the adrenaline rush of getting mobbed by zombies and having to hunt for supplies more than makes up for that! Loved the in-game story moments too, kudos to whoever did them! I def recommend this title if you like WD and want something challenging! Expand
  39. Mar 23, 2013
    Instead of the walking dead this game should be named Dead on arrival, or Dead in the water. This is nothing but a cash grab. Is this game worth pulling Ulysses S Grant out of my wallet, heck no! Glad i just rented it. I played better games on my android for free. Shigero Miyamoto said it best "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." Nuff said.
  40. Mar 24, 2013
    The game was decent but got repetetive really quick. You come across the the same areas multiple times and it just doesnt seem much effort was out into this game. The only reason to finish this game is if your a fan of the show. The game is also very short so its just worth a rent.
  41. Apr 4, 2013
    Yes I can understand why people would not like this game..but this isnt COD zombies. You actually have to try and survive by trying to hit the head, use stealth and destrations. I think it is a Awsome, and great game and the graphics have a Boderlands 2 feel and the zombies grabing you is pain but other than that i feel like it was almost spot on..feeling of a real zombie Apocalypse
  42. Mar 20, 2013
    Very good game sound,zombie vibe and gameplay is amazing too bad that graphic isnt great but its decent overall this is very good game and it turns better if you like zombies in games
  43. Mar 23, 2013
    Whoever rated this anywhere near 10, needs to reconsider their purpose in life. Daikatana and Fable 3 must easily be a 15 if this was a 10. The only good thing about this game is laughing at it with other people. But even if you laugh through it, you will end up feeling depressed and feel the need to bash your head against the wall to forget the tragedy which you someone happened to play before reading reviews. The ending is a joke and instantly shows that the game wasn't anywhere near finished. There are no feels in this game. Expand
  44. Mar 21, 2013
    Please. Anyone notice how the high ranked reviews sound suspiciously like they are written by the same people who made the game? few games are beneath contempt, or comment, This one is, partially because such rich source material is wasted...no, INSULTED, by the quality of this game
  45. Mar 27, 2013
    This game is a prequel to The Walking Dead on AMC which is no doubt an attempt to cash in on the shows popularity. First off let me say this game had some great ideas such as you can send out scavengers to find supplies, and the car breaking down would be a good idea if it wasn't so tedious and boring. The random stops along the roads to get gas, car parts, and move cars was just annoying and very location was basically the same layout. The game is extremely short. The first time I beat it, it took me 4 hours. The second and third time only an hour and 45 min. The story, (if there really even is one), was lackluster and did not immerse me into the game. The ending is terrible in my opinion but I will not be specific so I don't spoil it. The gameplay, while being very basic and stale, actually kept me somewhat interested as bad as it was. The executions and melee kills could have been better executed than they where and the gun play was pretty basic. The graphics are bland and lack a creative art direction, and seem as though they were rushed like most Activision games. Overall this game is just a cash grab but if you must try it rent it like I did. I got some easy achievements an didn't have to spend 50 dollars on a bland game. Story 3/10, graphics 4/10, game play 5/10. I give it a 5 overall because it is not unplayable and may be enjoyable for some people. Expand
  46. Mar 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It’s hard to hear The Walking Dead and not have high hopes. The comics brought us in, the show pulled us deeper, and Telltale broke our hearts. However after playing about 40 minutes today I can say 100% that if you think this game is as good as it’s name, you’ll be let down. It’s not that it’s a bad game. We just expect more. Activision usually releases such great games but perhaps it’s because this game was not put in very capable developer hands. Terminal Realities just hasn’t been cranking out the hits like it did in the early 2000’s.

The positives? I always enjoy when a game puts resource conservation in my hands. I also enjoy that as I meet survivors I am in charge of what they do while I go scavenging. Do I want my buddy to stay by the car? Hunt for food? Look for guns and ammo? Those are all options. I can save my resources for me or share them with my party. I can heal them or risk them having less than perfect health the next time we meet monsters. You can't pick up everything you see so sometimes there's regrets for leaving a big gun or ammo behind. There’s a certain sense of fear that comes with hand to hand combat and while I detest stealth games, stealth killing is kind of fun here. Personally I found myself never using my rifle and instead fighting with a knife and hammer. Though into Mission 2, I found a nice little hand cannon that became a good friend. I was pretty underwhelmed with combat until I turned on a generator for a guy and was swarmed by 30 zombies. As I frantically climbed onto a gas tanker and watched as it quickly became surrounded I was legitimately afraid. When I jumped and ran for my group there’s was a small moment where I could have died and that was a good moment. I hope that there will be more moments like this as the game progresses. It definitely gets more interesting when the world goes a little darker and you've got nothing but your flashlight to light your way. Lets discuss the negatives. The graphics are subpar for a 2013 game. It was like they weren’t even trying. You’ll see the same zombies over and over again as you walk through farms, forests and trailer parks. So far the story just seems to be get gas, go further south and look for your family. Typical zombie tropes are relevant. Gunshots bring more zombies. One bite ends your life. Be careful not to get cornered, don’t alert more than 2 or 3 at a time or your going to have to be crafty to get away. Overall against the many other zombie FPS out there, it’s not a horrendous game. I find it as equally interesting as Dead Island and a bit more forgiving than ZombieU. I could look at it separately from canon if the game didn’t rely SO heavily on the TV show to sell it. Using the score from the show and Michael Rooker and Norman Reedus as voice actors keep the show in the back of my mind while playing. Which reminds me that I have yet to experience any story or plot, which is what I’ve enjoyed about Robert Kirkmans creation to begin with. Survival Instincts major flaw is that it never rises above being average, and will more than likely end up just another zombie FPS on the shelf. But it was decent which is why I gave it a 7. I will more than likely finish this game.
  47. Mar 19, 2013
    Instead of just talking about how great this game is, I'm going to list my personal Pros & Cons about the game. Pros: Its a FPS Walking Dead game where you play as Daryl Its more of a realistic zombie game where every zombie doesn't swarm you unless you make a lot of noise or seen by them. Norman Reedus & Michael Rooker both did an amazing job with their voice-overs Like the Telltale Games TWD game, there is choice & consequence
    You meet other survivors, some of which join you.
    You can tell which survivors to perform specific tasks to find resources while you do the main mission
    There have been times where the game will catch me off guard and actually make me jump

Cons:
    You don't get to drive the car(s)
    You can't restart checkpoints
    At times, you can end up getting overwhelmed by zombies a bit too quickly

In the end though, I have been thoroughly enjoying this game. Activision & Terminal Reality did a very good job on it in my personal opinion.
  48. Mar 22, 2013
    i don't under how people are giving 10/10 to this game, i wonder if they are payed or just dunno are still playing games released 15 years and they are like wow this is a video game and at 40$+ you would expect AAA quality or refund, this worse than War Z and this is not a compliment.
  49. Mar 30, 2013
    I don't understand how it is possible for someone to say anything good about this game. I am a huge Walking Dead fan and wasn't expecting much from this game, however I was shocked at how bad it actually was. Prepare yourself for dull gameplay that is so repetitive, it will make you sick. The fake sweat pouring down the screen is incredibly stupid. This was by far the worst game I played this generation. Anyone who gives this a good review has to be a developer. Unreal that some idiot would give it a 10 then try backing it by saying it was story driven. I give it a 0 due to how many undeserving 8s, 9s, and 10s it received. Expand
  50. Mar 19, 2013
    Good game, not revolutionary but not bad. Doesn't deserve a 10 but it's definitely at least a solid 7. It's high points are that it includes Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker, and it's survival elements. Graphics and combat could have benefited from extra development time.
  51. Mar 19, 2013
    This game is sooooooooooo much fun! They make you feel like you are on THE WALKING DEAD SHOW! When the walkers are coming up on you.. you feel the adrenaline kick in! So FUN so CREEPY 0_o LOVE it! Kickin Zombie Butt and Takin Names.... YUP YUP!
  52. Mar 19, 2013
    This game is amazing. I have never played a game that made me actually feel like I was surviving the zombie apocalypse like this game does! Yes, the graphics are outdated but the gameplay delivers. Plus, its only 50 bucks so its not like they tried to make it appear to be some huge blockbuster...it is what it is and that is zombie apocalypse gameplay superior to any seen yet on consoles!
  53. Mar 19, 2013
    I find the game is good. The graphics Might not be the that great. But ti find the game play good and fun. The point the you have to decide who look will look for what supplies. You have to watch how much noise you make. the zombie AI is good. You don't feel like a god and can kill every zombie in the game. sound is good too. Would be nice to have a little more different game play. But for the price and game. A walking dead fan is quite happy with what I got Expand
  54. Mar 20, 2013
    If you love slow-paced zombie/survival horror games you are gonna love this one! i really do recommend the game for those who like the "feel" of the NBC-series "The Walking Dead" cause this game is so much fun, it handles a little more unrealistic than "ZombiU" but it feels alright. If there is one thing i hate about this game its that the graphics look really good for.................2006 i mean
    WHAT THA HEEEEEEEEEUUUULL! Why didn't u use a real graphics engine?
  55. Mar 20, 2013
    Cabela's walking dead:

I mean, this game reminds me more of a cabala big game hunting game than a zombie game, I was excited when I heard you play as Daryl Dixon in the game but then I got my hands on it and was even more excited till I put it in my Xbox and all of a sudden you're put straight off the bat into a familiar scene, you walking with a big rifle with a scope on it but then
    you find out you're not Daryl to begin with but his father, eventually when you get to play Daryl you're thrown into a cabin of sorts and then thrust into the game where you have to escape through the back door and execute a zombie with your knife.

After that I found a hammer and said "AWWW YEAH!" and tried to execute another zombie thinking he'd use his hammer but he pulled out a knife instead. then you're greeted by a horn honking from a truck in front of you, alerting zombies and you're picking them off with a rifle but instead of picking them off I just chose to run to the truck and get in.

the game isn't the worst thing I've played but it's still pretty bad at points BUT for the price tag and a few laughs it's kind of worth it.
  56. Mar 20, 2013
    I personally enjoyed the stealth aspects of the game as well as the health system. While the game could use a little work, I think it was a good game overall.
  57. Mar 20, 2013
    despite all the negative reviews from people expecting it to be a click and choice game like Telltale games The walking dead, this game is very good, yes the graphics aren't up to par but they arent bad either which is why i gave it a 9 instead of 10. People don't understand this is a Survival FPS game, and not a cinematic type of game which is probably what most of the negative reviewers were expecting. Expand
  58. Mar 22, 2013
    To keep things short and to the point, this game is not good. Boring, slow game play. Horrible graphics. Decent story. I knew this was gonna be bad from the start, and it was. And as a hardcore fan of the TV series, I am disappointed. The ONLY reason this does not get a zero is because of the voice acting by the characters.
  59. Mar 24, 2013
    What did everyone expect from this game, activision only had limited time and hardly any budget to create this game so unless they are Harry Houdini they were never going to create a game in the the categories of other games such as the call of duty franchise. Nevertheless this was a great attempt at a proper zombie survival game unlike dead rising, this game really makes you sit on the edge of your seat as the different missions are gripping. I would recommend you buy this game and don't listen to the critics as sometimes they get reviews wrong and this is one of the times. Expand
  60. Mar 25, 2013
    this game is AMAZING. I hate it when someone disses this game but love assassins creed (a game that has never improved in any way and charges 60$ every year for the EXACT same game).
  61. Apr 1, 2013
    Activision's way of "cash-cowing" a popular franchise and advertising with fan-favorite characters. Acting as if they are filling a untold void all fans of the show want to know. All I have to say is: generic and irrelevant. Talk about corporate synergy though.
  62. Apr 24, 2013
    One of my favorite TV shows with Merle and Daryl made into a game was a dream come true. But the end result turned out to be a big disappointment. First of all, the graphics are really muddy and outdated when I started up the game. But i was willingly to looked past that to play the game. The game play itself is nothing amazing but sneaking pass zombies and killing them was pretty enjoyable. I found the assassination animation pretty repetitive and it would have been nice if the developers put different animations for different melee weapons Instead of the same old stab in the head with a knife. The story was bad and the ending was even worst. I enjoyed they the option to choose multiple paths which offers replay-ability. The choice to enlist different survivors was a pretty cool idea but they were completely useless and would be best to leave in the car. You can only have a certain number of survivors with you and you would have to leave someone behind if the car got full. I found it off leaving someone behind without a word of complaint. The only good part of the game is probably the appearance of Merle and Daryl but they barely say anything to increase the value of the game. Overall, the game was rushed and a quick cash in and not worth the buy. Expand
  63. Apr 27, 2013
    Playing through this game I maid a mental checklist of just about everything a game could do wrong. Walking Dead Survival Instinct hit on all of them. Invisible walls, check. Horrible AI, check. Awful graphics, double check. Unresponsive guns that feel like a toy, check. Non-fluid animations, check. I could keep going but you get the point. This game is an insult to gamers and the people who buy games. This should have been a $10 novelty game and even at that price it would deserve the scores it's getting. The game is absolutely horrible with the only redeeming quality being that it's the only shooter where you can live in the Walking Dead world. The devs and the Activision knew full fell this game would be horrible and they are doing damage control with user reviews. It's actually worse than Alien Colonial Marines which I didn't think was possible. Hands down worst game of the year and it's pushing worst game of the decade I've played. There is absolutely no reason why this game should exist. It's only there to trick gamers who don't follow review scores into thinking it's good because of the name only and to spend their hard earned money on this game (not even sure it should be called a game.)

Avoid at all costs unless you want to rent to find out just how bad it is for yourself like I did.
  64. Mar 25, 2013
    This game was not even completed! The animations look unfinished, concepts are there but not fully implemented, almost everything seems half-arsed and rushed. There appears to be no optimization at all. Changing screen resolution and graphics options crashes my game to desktop followed by a bunch of error messages. It's as if this was an alpha build and some idiot in charge said, "Release this now!", and the developers gave up trying to explain to that person that the game wasn't completed. It should have spent a few more months in development. I don't even care that the graphics aren't the best I've seen, I was just hoping for a game that actually worked and was finished, and had all the ideas FULLY implemented into them that were talked about while it was in development; a game that put me into the walking dead world and was tense. I just hate to have to give a game such a low score, but the fact that it was released like this with a $50 price tag ticks me off, and I want everyone to know that they should avoid buying this game like the plague. I seriously doubt they can fix (finish) this game by releasing a series of patches. It's just awful. The one point I do give it for the fact that they put in RPG elements and the ability to lean to look around corners as well as a few other little things. But these little things that might surprise you and make you say, "hey, that is cool!" are just overshadowed by the gut wrenching fact that they are inside of a big steaming pile of over-priced pooh. Expand
  65. Mar 23, 2013
    Gave it a 10 only to show how far modern day journalists are from being objective. Looks like they either didn't played a game, of it's a simple prejudice. The game is an extremely addictive FPS, with survival, scavenging, shooting, exploring, and a nice story and characters. Greatest disappointment is graphics, it looks like some indi-project, but absolutely worth a try.
  66. Mar 24, 2013
    Huge fan of the television series. Unfortunately this game is nowhere near as good as the show or the Telltale game. This is a rushed title trying to cash in on the popularity of the show. The poor graphics wouldn't be a problem if the game had any substance. There's a total of 3 levels that cycle randomly depending where you stop. The zombies have terrible AI, the animations are horrendous, the voice acting was phoned in and the gameplay is boring.

If this was a $5 alpha build with claims of further development, I might tell friends to take a chance. But this is a full price pile of doodoo, pure rip-off.
  67. Mar 23, 2013
    If the idea of a stealth and melee based zombie game where using a gun is seldom the best option appeals to you, give this game a chance. If you can get past the graphics its a surprisingly good.game and I think the negative reviews are overly harsh.
  68. Apr 8, 2013
    I'm glad I borrowed this game instead of buying it. There is some fun to be had, but it gets highly repetitious very quick. As far as I can tell, there are only about 6 different zombie faces, so get used to bashing/shooting the same 6 zombies over and over.

My biggest complaint about this game is the auto-save feature. It doesn't save until you actually accomplish part of the quest or
    a side quest. There's been a couple occasions where I had to replay 15 minutes of the game over because of the auto-save.

There are some decent aspects of the game. Deciding which survivors to take with you (although I don't understand the whole having a pickup truck and only being able to choose one survivor...you would think the other survivors wouldn't mind getting in the back of the truck), and choosing which route to take when driving (you choose back roads, street, or highway...you don't actually "drive").

Bottom line, if you don't mind mediocre graphics and endless repetition, then you may really enjoy this game. Otherwise, I highly recommend renting or borrowing from a friend.
  69. Mar 25, 2013
    You know what it's ok. I have been following this for a while and I'm a fan of the show. It never claimed to be the best game of the year and so I guess I never expected that. It just seems like a fun play through of a world based on the show so I got exactly what I wanted. If I only wanted to play COD I would but I like playing games and I enjoyed this. If you like the show and can understand that not all games are created equal then give it a go it's more fun than the trolls seem to all suggest. Afterwards you can buy something else. Collapse
  70. Mar 27, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a successful comic that has since been adapted to AMC's hit TV show of the same name. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct focuses on a character who is exclusive to the TV show called Daryl Dixon and is currently a fan favourite. Daryl Dixon started out as a racist redneck who only cared for his own survival, since the second and third series of the TV show, the character has changed a lot and has attracted a large number of fans.

The game is a prequel to the show and you start out by learning what happened during Daryl's early days during the undead scourge. While there aren't any amazing revelations, you do get a bit more information about the characters and there are some characters that get referenced in passing.

The good things about this game include a solid combat engine and a range of weapons to choose from. While the combat is not quite as good as Dead Island, you can reliably take down Walkers with stealth attacks and later get stronger weapons.

Each melee weapon is different from the speedy but weak hammer to the heavy and slow sledgehammer that can take down walkers in a single hit. In terms of guns you have pistols, shotguns, rifle and of course Daryl's trusty crossbow. You'll want to use the crossbow as much as you can to kill walkers silently and retrieve your crossbow bolts.

Silence is important because walkers pick up on sound a lot. One way you can draw walkers away is by throwing a bottle or a flare in the opposite direction, when they charge towards the noise you slip past them the other way.

As you progress through the game you'll want to pick up food rations, weapons, ammunition and fuel. Fuel is important for making your way across the map on the road sections. Some of these sections will give you a choice, do you move the car stuck on the road or take an alternative route?

One great feature of the game is the survivor management. As you progress in the game, you get access to different survivors. You can only pick up a certain number of survivors, based on the size of your vehicle. While you may sometimes want to save everyone, ultimately you sometimes have to choose a location and hope for the best. Some survivors are also only found on the random encounters and so can be overlooked. It's worth helping them survive since you get a bonus at the end of the game.

Sadly it's not all non-stop fun and there are a few bad points about this game. This game is relentlessly hard, with no difficulty select screen. This means that if you're not careful, you will die many times until you learn how to move around properly and what areas are dangerous to be in. You can sometimes get away from walkers in buildings, but often you can get trapped and face an early demise.

Another gripe with many people is the game length. At most, the campaign mode can be completed in around 5-8 hours. In other games this isn't such a major problem, but since there is no multiplayer or co-operative modes of any kind, it's a big big problem. The ending is also a bit of a let down as it doesn't really fill in any gaps or explain anything of importance.

If you have the option of getting Dead Island then I would suggest that you try that game out first, as it's fairly cheap. Otherwise you could potentially get this game but I would say you should get it cheap, simply because of it's length and problems. It's still pretty fun at times though.
  71. Mar 27, 2013
    I made it 30 minutes into this game and quit. Its a horrible cash grab, and deserves to be forgotten in a trash bin. The developers must have droped a load in their pants when TellTale's game started winning awards and they knew they had to come out with this trash with a TWD stamp on it.

Norman Reedus and Michale Rooker, are both amazing actors but this game is sadly not.
  72. Jul 12, 2013
    There really isn't much to say about this game apart from the fact that it is just plain awful I will start with the graphics which are a big thing nowadays. Even on the outdated Xbox 360 console the graphics are bad. This game looks like it is from the play station 2 old Xbox era and I have seen better graphics on Xbox live arcade games. But that's not the biggest thing for some people is it so I'll go say how the story is next If your a big fan of the walking dead like me then I beg you dont buy this game and fall into the trap like me and so many others have done. It's obvious this game was just a money grab and from activision that doesnt suprise me. You may be tempted with it having the dixon brothers in it like me and it also having the actual actors from the show for the voice acting but thats no reason to go and blow your hard earned cash on this crap game. The story is sub-par and doesnt do the show or the dixon brothers the credit and justice they deserve You drive around from place to place with the game actually being scripted I kid you not scripted. When travelling from one destination to another if your hear dialog as you do so you will not I repeat will not find any supplies or have the opportunity to scavenge any places The ending was crappy too and was a huge letdown I managed to scrape through the game and was looking forward to seeing the ending as I thought that would atleast maybe make up for something but it doesnt This game just screams rushed. The gameplay is also very boring too like the story and the zombies are incredibly stupid too you can at times stand behind one for several seconds and they wont even smell you and turn around The zombies also re spawn too when leaving a area and going back Dont buy this game I would suggest renting it at best Expand
  73. Jul 13, 2013
    I am a really big fan of The Walking Dead and this game really pissed me off. The game is short, the game play is repetitive, and Merle is barely in the game! The survivors that you can recruit in your group are useless in this game because when you send them to get supplies, they either come with one piece of food that you have to use on them because they get so up, or they die. And the ending is horrible, even though if one of my favorite levels of the game. I blame Activision Expand
  74. Mar 21, 2013
    I'm actually enjoying it as a fan of the series! It's not AAA grade, but it does a good job and I'll give it a 7. It is NOT a FPS. It's really a simulator of the TV show, and stealth is the way to go. I also like that you do not survive if you are rushed by walkers.

Seriously, it's not a 4/10. I'd give it 7/10, and I'm actually loving the game. Nice surprise.
  75. Mar 27, 2013
    This game is utterly terrible, everything in this game is half-assed, from the gameplay to the story to the presentation. Why is it, that most film adaptations have to be THIS bad? And it's also approved by Activision, one of the biggest publishers, this has to be one of the biggest cash in the past few months. This game is a disgrace and absoluitely NO match to the TV-series. It appears this game was made for the uninformed peasants who just buy games after the cover and because of the name. This game is a prime example of today's idiocracy in the gaming industry. STAY CLEAR, this game is NOT worth the money. Pirate it if you really want to play it.. Expand
  76. Mar 20, 2013
    Good game. As a Walking dead fan I enjoy playing as Derle, learning the ins an outs of the crossbow. As a gamer I was disappointed there wasn't more storyline. The price was 15 bucks too much. Co-op would of been nice, multiplayer would be a mistake. I can't tell you how satisfying it is crushing zombie skulls with a sledge. Because I am a fan of the show I like the game, if you're not don't bother, just don't. Expand
  77. Mar 23, 2013
    They should rename this title to "The Walking Disappointment". I think its amazing how the leaked trailer that was dismissed by Terminal Reality as not being actual gameplay, but in fact it was an exact representation of the game released! I really wanted this to be something special like TellTales TWD. What this game should of been was a 3rd person open world game! where you can go around Atlanta surviving the outbreak in the same way you do in DayZ, but with a proper story mode with emphasise on the bond between the Dixon brothers as they struggle to survive the outbreak. You could have loot-able shops,house's, cars,warehouse's etc, in this game you cant even break a car window or jump over a small fence to go places that look accessible! The Walking Dead isn't going to stop any time soon! so the quick cash in was totally pointless. They should of taken a leaf from TT's book... oh wait you did, you wrote a review about your own game, like TT's self review of Jurassic Park. Expand
  78. Mar 21, 2013
    The Walking Dead is, definitely, at the peak of his life. From a succesful comic series to a full monopoly, The Walking Dead is without a doubt one of the most successful franchises of all time. Some months ago we have the GOTY winning and one of my favourite games of all time, Telltale's The Walking Dead, that took a break from the story and made it his own. Now, a new game has come to the same consoles (Regarding the Wii U) where Telltale stood and won. And unfortunately, it isn't as good.
    You shouldn't be surprised. Activision has done this to us already. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct was made to satisfy those who wanted quantity over quality, who were pissed off because Telltale's production was more story than gameplay. So, Activision thought they would take the two actors from the TV Series and put them in voice acting to attract masses of fans, the problem is it isn't enough: If something that Telltale got right is that TWD is all about the characters, not the zombies. This game messes up.
    From a gameplay point of view, TWD: Survival Instinct is fun in a beginning. We have a correct variety of guns, each one special on its own, and sometimes we have to face tough decisions as trusting our guns to other survivors, or when the annoying inventory comes full with only 10 items and you have to give something up to give something in. The problem is that as many Activision games, the gameplay starts getting tiring after a while. The only thing you do is killing zombies, sometimes masses, but there is no Open World or something like that as we used to love on Dead Island. Now mentioned, TWD: Survival Instinct feels most of the time a regularly done Dead Island ripoff instead of a new game on itself. One of the main reasons is that games works the same way, and as there is almost no story, you feel like you're playing a Dead Island expansion. We have also some decisions to make when we go from one place to another, but they affect more the length of the gameplay that the game itself.
    I know that this game wasn't supposed to be a story-driven one. But come on! At least they could use the talent from the voice actors (Daryl and Merle, if y'all don't know) to make it interesting. As a prequel, it fails. The ending is flat, and you literally feel you just paid 50 bucks and did a massive zombie killing just to hear Daryl and Merle talk. It doesn't feel as a TWD game, more than a game that has lots of glitches (Visually, it fails in almost any sense with bad resolution textures but specially with zombie design. They are all the same!). Somehow, a box flies out of nowhere, or worse, zombies are invisible and you die for no reason at all. There is no Multiplayer, and although it is not compulsory, a game like this needs it desperately to justify the price. It isn't a good game. Even though, If you still want to buy it, I would recommend waiting a lil' for the madness to low and the prices to worth as the game should: 20 bucks, no more than that!
  79. Mar 21, 2013
    I find myself these days scoring games higher, not because they are great games, but because they are trying. This is what it is, a mediocre game by all accounts. Unless you are a Walking Dead fan. The majority of this game is down to your own imagination. When I was a kid any Cowboy or War film came on I was upstairs getting all my gear together, by the time I had built my fort out of cushions the film was nearly over. If I was lucky I might take part in the final battle. I feel that way about this game. Loved the series and I loved the Telltale game. I was so geared up to play this game that it only had to tick two boxes to be appealing to me. Does it feel anything like you are part of the Walking Dead universe yes. Is it true to life with the zombie movement and reactions yes, and actually probably more so than many other games. Those were my requirements for this game. A lot of things could be better, graphics,UI design and story. Overall I would say fan of the Walking Dead buy the game and engage your imagination a little. Not a fan, don't go near it. If this was a standalone zombie game it would score 2 or 3. But because of the link to a franchise and because they do capture the overall essence of the TV show I score it higher. Expand
  80. Mar 24, 2013
    Thank god, it has some meaning for Zombie Shooters like The Walking Dead. The story wants more attention, its not like The other walking dead games. For a price of $50 it doesn't get your money's worth but it does deliver some fun and its story is kind of nice.
  81. Mar 25, 2013
    I haven't even played this game yet and I already think it's good. If you're looking for a game to blast through zombies like they're cotton candy with your infinite ammo AK47, you're not going to like this game. However, if you want a suspenseful and challenging game in which you have to survive in a realistic zombie apocalypse, this might just be your kind of game. Watch gameplay before you spend 50 dollars on the game. Expand
  82. Mar 25, 2013
    this game is stupid bugs you cant even jump on some cars you cant even sent merl to find so food or ammo wtf is this and no coop this game graphics suck big time shame on you i have no words
  83. Mar 19, 2013
    I believe that for a $49.99 price, this is definitely worth it. It stays true to the story, and the game play is great. I highly recommend you buy this game.
  84. Mar 19, 2013
    While yes, it is visually impaired, the game presents a very different style of FPS. Being that it is the first in a hopeful series, it does a fantastic job at demonstrating the games style and potential. It perfectly combines the elements of stealth and guns a-blazin' in order to not become too repititious or boring. The game definitely has some room for improvement with the executions, fluidity with movements and attacking, as well as creating a playable and interesting story line, but overall I have loved the game so far. the retort featured by Norman Reedus is undeniably amazing. the decision making in the game is also a nice addition; choosing which survivor you want to keep, deciding to search for supplies even with the risk that you could leave the area with less health than you came out with. I personally enjoyed the break from typical FPS games that never seem to run out of ammunition or health. Supplies are scarce and you have to be frugal, while also deciding whether or not to send other members of your party looking for supplies and potentially coming back with less than they left with. The game does a good job at really just diving right into the zombie apocalypse action and really gives a good feel for what it would be like in the same reality. I loved how the zombies react to Daryls presence in the game. Shooting a rifle, for example, will generally bring a huge horde of zombies from all over the area and the zombies in this game are no joke. They are not the one-hit kill or shoot them enough type of zombies, they are the shoot in the head exclusively or many hits with most melee weapons per zombie. A task far too difficult to do with very limited health. I was a fan of the telltale game, and i knew that this one would be incredibly different but i was not let down. Perhaps if the two games were to be combined into one SUPERgame, it would be the best thing that has ever happened to interactive digital entertainment. I think overall, the game is absolutely worth the purchase. Dont expect another telltale, high graphics, or online/multiplayer capabilities. Do expect a very different, true apocalyptic horror/survival game, almost retro game. Expand
  85. Mar 19, 2013
    the walking dead survival instinct is not a perfect game by any means but is it worth 50 dollars and the awnser to that is yes. ok the writing is not amazing the graphics are way below par and the voice acting is average at best but yet I still had a hell of a time playing this game. this game can be completed in about 1 weekend by a casual gamer. If you come into this game expecting it to be skyrim you will be disopointed but if you are a fan of the walking dead and want to kill some walkers you will have a great time 5 years from now will you look back and say omg that game was a masterpiece my fave game ever no but it is well worth 50 dollars and one thing that will either disipoint or make you happy is the fact that zombies only die when they get head trama Expand
  86. Mar 21, 2013
    Alright. This game was receiving a lot of pre-buzz hate for 2 things. 1. Bad Graphics. 2.Activision rushed it. I do think that Activision should have given Terminal Reality a couple months to work on this, but I get how they thought. Shows popular now, lets get the game out now before the ratings dip and people won't buy it. However, if they didn't do that and gave Terminal Reality more time, this would have been a stellar game and would not need the show to sell.

Graphics don't look like 2013, but graphics do not make the game. These graphics are serviceable, and I only ever complained about a few textures. They really should have made different walker models, because I found myself stabbing the same heads about 20 times. Not a major issue, but I hope a patch is released for that.

Gameplay is simple yet effective. I wish that the execution kill move wasn't the knife every time, but it was fun. Still, patch would be nice. Your interaction with other survivors is limited. You can equip members of your group with weapons, heal them, send them on supply runs, and kick them out. But that's about it. Terminal Reality made me think that I could regret picking certain survivors, but I never really did. I thought I might end up getting a nut who would try to slit people's throats while we slept, and he would succeed before I managed to kill him. Nothing of the sort. Maybe someone comes back from a supply run, but hides a bite and ends up turning into a walker and killing someone in your group. Nothing of the sort. Your interaction with survivors is strictly limited to "Do something for them. Recruit them. Send them on runs. Kick them out to make room for others". They don't directly affect the story. You never set up a type of base camp either (like the Atlanta camp in season 1 of the show), you are always driving around. All your time is spent creeping around the dead looking for supplies, and literally no time to relax and wind down. If you played the Telltale Game, remember in episode 2 when they were just chilling at the motor in, and it was mostly peaceful? A camp would be an excellent place to send people off on runs, it would have seemed a bit more realistic. Had Activision not rushed Terminal Reality, we probably would've gotten a really cool experience with survivors.

The story is cool, but it's really just you looking for your brother, the other survivors only affect it till you recruit them, and its really just you doing something for them.

All in all, this is a good game. Not great, but a decent zombie game. My issues in this game can hopefully be fixed with patches, and I think they should add a co-op mode, which would go well if you and your friend set up a camp. Hopefully Terminal Reality releases patches, but this game makes me excited to see if they could do better on a game, given the time.
  87. Mar 20, 2013
    I have been playing the game for the past 4 hours, and been having a blast. But that does not make this game good. This game is awful. It is extremely fun, and implements a lot of cool features, but most of them are poorly executed. There are so many flaws to the game and they definitely outweigh the pros.
    Pros: Interesting features (inventory system, stamina, weapons, scrounging for ammo
    and food, finding new vehicles to support more group members at the cost of fuel, group members to get supplies for you while you're doing missions). It's a zombie game A Survival game (Sadly there aren't enough of these out there).
    Cons: Very stupid and boring story that just messes with the real storyline.
    Very repetitive gameplay/animations/characters (You're going to be seeing the same zombies and execution animations over and over again). Awful save system(I have had to restart a mission countless times because it didn't save). It's a Zombie Game Pointless group members(The risk of them dying is too high and when they do come back with items it is way too small).
    I personally have been enjoying the game. It is probably short and if my playthrough ends soon, I'll definitely go through it again for the relics. It is a fun game, but it is a bad game.
  88. Mar 21, 2013
    First of all, like any game, this one certainly has its faults, The graphics are not the best, the A.I could do with some tweeking and of course no co-op.However, all those things aside there is certainly some great replay value in this thing. The stealth baaed gameplay certainly adds some realism, unlike left 4 dead and Nazi Zombies, everyone seem to compare these two games to any future zombie game, the same thing happened with dead island. If you look past those things there really is a great game under it all. Its a survival/horror game and it fits those genres well while trying to explain the back story to two of the shows favorite characters, the gameplay is smooth, but could do with a few adjustments. So far I'm enjoying the game, and hopefully the developers will take every ones complaints into consideration and fix those issues in updates. And just remember this game only took one year to make and its come out better than colonial marines so far. so all in all not the best game out, but certainly far from the worst, but hey that's just my opinion. Expand
  89. Mar 21, 2013
    I liked it. It's a TV show/comic book base game, of corse it's not going to be a masterpeace... has any movie or TV show based game been one?? IDTS. All in all I enjoy stabbing walkers in the face as Dixion. If they would have had another year.. this game might just be perfect and worth full-sale price.. they have the right idea guys.. never diss The Walking Dead guys.. it's ALL good.
  90. Mar 22, 2013
    I give this game a score of 8/10.
    As a Gamer I do not care so much about the graphics as I love the Walking Dead series and still do. The game does not change my feeling for walking dead but they could make the game better and not rush thing out. This is another example as ACM (Aliens). I recommend this game to people who don't care about graphics and love Walking dead as much as me Game
    Price: Around 40 Pounds.
    The game price is quite high for the game but I do not care. I love the series and I love the game!
  91. Mar 22, 2013
    This is first person survival horror, not Left 4 Dead 3 or a point and click adventure. What made these people expect anything else? If you're looking for zombie survival mechanics and are a fan of the walking dead series, at least give this a rental.
  92. Mar 23, 2013
    The only thing going for the game is the voice over actors Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker which, unfortunately for them cannot do them much good, in fact, I would be pursuing for career damages with this absolute pile of steaming sh!t.
  93. Mar 23, 2013
    I have to strongly disagree with the comments from most of the stale turd people.im a walking dead fan and this game was amazing violent stealthy/run and gun assault rifle madness and pure epicness with the crossbow,at times in the game i actually thought i was daryl creeping through the dark zombie infested pharmacy shops looking for marls MEDS with Flashlight and crossbow head shotting anything that moved with turtle beaches on full high as a kite playing in the dark THE GAME WAS STRAIGHT ERIE FUN ADDICTIVE AND PORTRAYED A GREAT STORY AND MISSING LINK IN THE WALKING DEAD STORY AND CAN I POINT OUT TO ALL THE STALE TURD GAMERS OUT THERE THAT GIVE IT THIS DIRE RATING THE GRAPHICS ARE BETTER I THINK THAN BATTLE FEILD 3 WIHCH IN MY CASE IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME SO DONT NO WHAT HALF OF U ARE DRIBBLING ON ABOUT OBVISLEY URE NOOBS AND DONT NO HOW TO GAME ANYWAY EXCELLENT GAME AND PC GAMERS ARE CONSOLE GAMING IS WERE THE PRO,S ARE PC IS FOR Expand
  94. Mar 23, 2013
    As soon as I saw the Activision logo, I knew I was in for a crapfest. This, in no way, can compete with the, in my opinion, phenomenal Walking Dead game by Telltale Games. If you honestly had to make a choice of a Walking Dead game to choose from, pick the amazing Telltale version.
  95. Mar 24, 2013
    People are expecting too much. It's not a half-baked game, and it's not Terminal Reality's fault the game turned out the way it did. They're a decent development studio, they just got a cheap project with a quick deadline. Not everybody can churn out Luigi's Mansion in a year; Terminal Reality did the best they could, and if they had two or three years, all these great ideas would have turned into something much better than what we see. Now, if you go into the game remembering the golden age of ps2 and orginal Xbox, you'll get an entertaining blast from the past. The game's not horrendously bad, it's just dated and rushed.

Also, the game plays great on Wii U; item management on the Gamepad makes the game much easier to play.
  96. Mar 24, 2013
    It's a real shame Terminal Reality (or Activision but I mostly suspect TR for that, Activision wouldn't be that dumb) are using bots on Metacritic to "boost" their User Score.

I hope Metacritic techs are saving the IPs user agent of all these 10/10 reviews and doing a little bit of tracing, if that goes unpunished all the shoddy devs like TR will do the same to Metacritic.
  97. Mar 24, 2013
    If you are a patient gamer who wants a couple hour long game to beat this was a good time. You MUST take your time and find weapons early on. BE QUITE and make distractions. Those of you WHO didnt like this game, i can bet that this game took you more than 2 hours playtime to complete and is a very impatient person and write bad reviews to compensate for your poor gamer skills.GREAT GAME
  98. Mar 25, 2013
    It is a very simple game that didn't get enough play testing. There are many problems with it like the walkers becoming joggers which made me mad being the fan I am. When you get in the middle of a herd and have an endless group hug is none the less annoying. The game still has a lot of bugs which hopefully can be fixed. The driving fuel part of the game isn't even that bad because you always break down by a place with all the supples in the world making it useless to pick highway. And the story is only about 4-6 hours at most. Expand
  99. Mar 26, 2013
    Awful game. graphics are just awful at least borderland 2 meant to have comic graphics.grass just looks like a cardboard box painted green a laid on the ground.zombies are as stupid as a drunken hobo in fact the only highlight of this game is the voice acting of Norman reedus.do not buy.
  100. Mar 25, 2013
    I know the graphics really sucks but I think the story it's great I think the could invest much more on the game. I give 7 out of 10 because the story it's great, and I don't have seen any bugs on the game except on the final mission the truck it's just bugged
  101. Mar 25, 2013

1. May 28, 2013
    With the success of Telltale Games’s arcade game, there were high hopes for this full-fledged retail title. As it happens you would be best off saving your pennies for the already announced sequel to the arcade title as Survival Instinct will leave you with bitter feelings towards The Walking Dead series. Unless you are an absolute nutter for anything to do with The Walking Dead, your money will be best spent elsewhere.
  2. May 20, 2013
    It's as if the developer simply ceased to care, or ran out of time, or both. Who knows? What we do know is that Terminal Velocity has crafted something truly loathsome and undeserving of its heritage. [Issue#135, p.108]
  3. May 9, 2013
    Archaic design spoils good ideas in this shoddy squandering of one of the hottest licenses going. [June 2013, p.74]