4.0

1. Mar 24, 2013
    Thank god, it has some meaning for Zombie Shooters like The Walking Dead. The story wants more attention, its not like The other walking dead games. For a price of $50 it doesn't get your money's worth but it does deliver some fun and its story is kind of nice.
  2. ERB
    Aug 1, 2013
    Why on earth is this game has low scores It is practically fun and awesome.I will never get It why you guys hate this.I mean this game is better than dead island.
  3. Dec 2, 2013
    Nothing more then your average money grab by activation. Poorly executed and rusted, although the game still provides entertainment it's just missing a true story which could of been a masterpiece. Its a shame this happened to such a well known franchise name, looks like another missed opportunity. Would not recommended unless your looking to blow cash or your a serious WD freak.
  4. Apr 12, 2013
    I actually enjoyed this game. I do have to retort to the people giving it bad reviews, what were you expecting? The main point of topic is that it has bad graphics which is nonsensical to dock it points for that. The graphics aren't ground braking, but certainly not bad, at times the lighting and shading is epic. The rest of the game is lots of fun. I'd recommend this game to anyone who likes FPS's or zombies, even more so to a walking dead fan. Although I preferred the TellTale games version, this is a good game. Don't let the bad reviews put you off. Expand
  5. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a shameless cash-in on The Walking Dead,(which is by the way one of my favorite TV shows), with awful AI, and lazy, and dull gameplay, completely useless fellow survivors, and a terrible ending which, shows how big of a bunch of cash whores is Activision, this is a really awful game. Expand
  6. Mar 21, 2013
    The Walking Dead is, definitely, at the peak of his life. From a succesful comic series to a full monopoly, The Walking Dead is without a doubt one of the most successful franchises of all time. Some months ago we have the GOTY winning and one of my favourite games of all time, Telltale's The Walking Dead, that took a break from the story and made it his own. Now, a new game has come to the same consoles (Regarding the Wii U) where Telltale stood and won. And unfortunately, it isn't as good.
    You shouldn't be surprised. Activision has done this to us already. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct was made to satisfy those who wanted quantity over quality, who were pissed off because Telltale's production was more story than gameplay. So, Activision thought they would take the two actors from the TV Series and put them in voice acting to attract masses of fans, the problem is it isn't enough: If something that Telltale got right is that TWD is all about the characters, not the zombies. This game messes up.
    From a gameplay point of view, TWD: Survival Instinct is fun in a beginning. We have a correct variety of guns, each one special on its own, and sometimes we have to face tough decisions as trusting our guns to other survivors, or when the annoying inventory comes full with only 10 items and you have to give something up to give something in. The problem is that as many Activision games, the gameplay starts getting tiring after a while. The only thing you do is killing zombies, sometimes masses, but there is no Open World or something like that as we used to love on Dead Island. Now mentioned, TWD: Survival Instinct feels most of the time a regularly done Dead Island ripoff instead of a new game on itself. One of the main reasons is that games works the same way, and as there is almost no story, you feel like you're playing a Dead Island expansion. We have also some decisions to make when we go from one place to another, but they affect more the length of the gameplay that the game itself.
    I know that this game wasn't supposed to be a story-driven one. But come on! At least they could use the talent from the voice actors (Daryl and Merle, if y'all don't know) to make it interesting. As a prequel, it fails. The ending is flat, and you literally feel you just paid 50 bucks and did a massive zombie killing just to hear Daryl and Merle talk. It doesn't feel as a TWD game, more than a game that has lots of glitches (Visually, it fails in almost any sense with bad resolution textures but specially with zombie design. They are all the same!). Somehow, a box flies out of nowhere, or worse, zombies are invisible and you die for no reason at all. There is no Multiplayer, and although it is not compulsory, a game like this needs it desperately to justify the price. It isn't a good game. Even though, If you still want to buy it, I would recommend waiting a lil' for the madness to low and the prices to worth as the game should: 20 bucks, no more than that!
  7. Nov 21, 2013
    There are some good things about this game, but they are countered by the many things wrong with this poor excuse for a licensed video game. The graphics are textureless, the story is dull and lacking (especially for walking dead) voice acting is awful, and most of all... there is no replay values. This game could have been soooo much more.
  8. Mar 23, 2013
    Whoever rated this anywhere near 10, needs to reconsider their purpose in life. Daikatana and Fable 3 must easily be a 15 if this was a 10. The only good thing about this game is laughing at it with other people. But even if you laugh through it, you will end up feeling depressed and feel the need to bash your head against the wall to forget the tragedy which you someone happened to play before reading reviews. The ending is a joke and instantly shows that the game wasn't anywhere near finished. There are no feels in this game. Expand
  9. Mar 20, 2013
    the minute I heard this was from Activision, I knew this was gonna be bad. But then again, I could always be proven otherwise, could be fun like L4D2 which is mindless shooting and is still fun: spoiler, it isn't. don't grab this one
  10. Mar 20, 2013
    Good game. As a Walking dead fan I enjoy playing as Derle, learning the ins an outs of the crossbow. As a gamer I was disappointed there wasn't more storyline. The price was 15 bucks too much. Co-op would of been nice, multiplayer would be a mistake. I can't tell you how satisfying it is crushing zombie skulls with a sledge. Because I am a fan of the show I like the game, if you're not don't bother, just don't. Expand
  11. Mar 23, 2013
    Gave it a 10 only to show how far modern day journalists are from being objective. Looks like they either didn't played a game, of it's a simple prejudice. The game is an extremely addictive FPS, with survival, scavenging, shooting, exploring, and a nice story and characters. Greatest disappointment is graphics, it looks like some indi-project, but absolutely worth a try.
  12. Apr 27, 2013
    Playing through this game I maid a mental checklist of just about everything a game could do wrong. Walking Dead Survival Instinct hit on all of them. Invisible walls, check. Horrible AI, check. Awful graphics, double check. Unresponsive guns that feel like a toy, check. Non-fluid animations, check. I could keep going but you get the point. This game is an insult to gamers and the people who buy games. This should have been a $10 novelty game and even at that price it would deserve the scores it's getting. The game is absolutely horrible with the only redeeming quality being that it's the only shooter where you can live in the Walking Dead world. The devs and the Activision knew full fell this game would be horrible and they are doing damage control with user reviews. It's actually worse than Alien Colonial Marines which I didn't think was possible. Hands down worst game of the year and it's pushing worst game of the decade I've played. There is absolutely no reason why this game should exist. It's only there to trick gamers who don't follow review scores into thinking it's good because of the name only and to spend their hard earned money on this game (not even sure it should be called a game.)

Avoid at all costs unless you want to rent to find out just how bad it is for yourself like I did.
  13. Mar 27, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a successful comic that has since been adapted to AMC's hit TV show of the same name. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct focuses on a character who is exclusive to the TV show called Daryl Dixon and is currently a fan favourite. Daryl Dixon started out as a racist redneck who only cared for his own survival, since the second and third series of the TV show, the character has changed a lot and has attracted a large number of fans.

The game is a prequel to the show and you start out by learning what happened during Daryl's early days during the undead scourge. While there aren't any amazing revelations, you do get a bit more information about the characters and there are some characters that get referenced in passing.

The good things about this game include a solid combat engine and a range of weapons to choose from. While the combat is not quite as good as Dead Island, you can reliably take down Walkers with stealth attacks and later get stronger weapons.

Each melee weapon is different from the speedy but weak hammer to the heavy and slow sledgehammer that can take down walkers in a single hit. In terms of guns you have pistols, shotguns, rifle and of course Daryl's trusty crossbow. You'll want to use the crossbow as much as you can to kill walkers silently and retrieve your crossbow bolts.

Silence is important because walkers pick up on sound a lot. One way you can draw walkers away is by throwing a bottle or a flare in the opposite direction, when they charge towards the noise you slip past them the other way.

As you progress through the game you'll want to pick up food rations, weapons, ammunition and fuel. Fuel is important for making your way across the map on the road sections. Some of these sections will give you a choice, do you move the car stuck on the road or take an alternative route?

One great feature of the game is the survivor management. As you progress in the game, you get access to different survivors. You can only pick up a certain number of survivors, based on the size of your vehicle. While you may sometimes want to save everyone, ultimately you sometimes have to choose a location and hope for the best. Some survivors are also only found on the random encounters and so can be overlooked. It's worth helping them survive since you get a bonus at the end of the game.

Sadly it's not all non-stop fun and there are a few bad points about this game. This game is relentlessly hard, with no difficulty select screen. This means that if you're not careful, you will die many times until you learn how to move around properly and what areas are dangerous to be in. You can sometimes get away from walkers in buildings, but often you can get trapped and face an early demise.

Another gripe with many people is the game length. At most, the campaign mode can be completed in around 5-8 hours. In other games this isn't such a major problem, but since there is no multiplayer or co-operative modes of any kind, it's a big big problem. The ending is also a bit of a let down as it doesn't really fill in any gaps or explain anything of importance.

If you have the option of getting Dead Island then I would suggest that you try that game out first, as it's fairly cheap. Otherwise you could potentially get this game but I would say you should get it cheap, simply because of it's length and problems. It's still pretty fun at times though.
  14. Jun 25, 2013
    The crossbow was pretty awesome, slegehammer and fire axe was great for hurry situtation, but other melee weapon was so weak. the quest was pretty good and challenging. The most moment's that i hate it was, the breakdown and some scavenged chance that ruined some of the gameplay. The game was great only for recomendation, not to be positive.
  15. Mar 25, 2013
    This game was not even completed! The animations look unfinished, concepts are there but not fully implemented, almost everything seems half-arsed and rushed. There appears to be no optimization at all. Changing screen resolution and graphics options crashes my game to desktop followed by a bunch of error messages. It's as if this was an alpha build and some idiot in charge said, "Release this now!", and the developers gave up trying to explain to that person that the game wasn't completed. It should have spent a few more months in development. I don't even care that the graphics aren't the best I've seen, I was just hoping for a game that actually worked and was finished, and had all the ideas FULLY implemented into them that were talked about while it was in development; a game that put me into the walking dead world and was tense. I just hate to have to give a game such a low score, but the fact that it was released like this with a $50 price tag ticks me off, and I want everyone to know that they should avoid buying this game like the plague. I seriously doubt they can fix (finish) this game by releasing a series of patches. It's just awful. The one point I do give it for the fact that they put in RPG elements and the ability to lean to look around corners as well as a few other little things. But these little things that might surprise you and make you say, "hey, that is cool!" are just overshadowed by the gut wrenching fact that they are inside of a big steaming pile of over-priced pooh. Expand
  16. Apr 28, 2013
    Is this a prototype? Meh. The AI of the zombies are stupid, Even though guns feel right, everything else doesn't. This is not a survival game this game is meant for the story? Pardon me? The Story is completely A child could of wrote it.. The developers gave the bare minimal effort to create this game, This was only made to get money off of stupid consumers. I mark this as a Scam for the Xbox 360, This was meant for the Playstation 2. Expand
  17. Feb 8, 2014
    Why the flying f**k was this game made?! I mean seriously I was disappointed, my world with Lee and Clementine is sooooo much more interesting than this steaming pile of crap. The only thing I liked about this game is that later on you get to use THE GODDAMN CROSSBOW! Which is a show iconic weapon... I feel a bit bad for the actors who decided to stay in this ah well but at least they were interesting and did rather good in their part of the game. And whoever gives this a 10 I will hunt you down and do what I did to Larry.
    I'm Kenny from the walking dead and I review to save lives.
  18. Mar 21, 2013
    This game felt like it was headed in the right direction then some executive just stepped in and said "Release it now!" despite the fact that it was only half done.

The controls are the worst example of this half baked feeling. VERY clunky which is a deal breaker in a zombie game where you need fast reflexes to dispatch them in close combat. Weapon swings take SO LONG it would be a
    death sentence to try and fight more than one zombie with just melee weapon swings even with something like a sledge hammer. Bottom line melee in this game is totally broken and useless.

The best way to kill them is just hitting RB then side stepping behind them for an "execution" which is also WAY too quirky and buggy to work reliably.

The firearms in the game work fine nothing special but there really no point in using them because they attract every zombie on the map to your location. So the best strategy ends up being to run past everything to the end which you can do on almost every map.

If you try and go the "stealth" route which is what they clearly push in the game then you can enjoy all the melee bugs and instances of them respawning zombies right behind you to add difficulty. Then also enjoy all those free scratch hits zombies get while you try to melee with their awful combat system.

The "survivors" you pick up along the way are totally pointless. You can send them out to scavenge but supplies are so plentiful there's never a point to doing this and it ends up being a total waste of time.

The last level is horrendously bad. I won't spoil it for you but when you finish off the game you will realize just how bad and half baked this game was.

I would have loved to see what they could have done with more time and money. A better scavenging/survivor system and a much more fluid melee combat system would have propelled this game into the "good" category for sure. Sad to see this get rushed out.
  19. Mar 12, 2014
    why so underrated? TWD SI is not bad at all...the graphics is decent, the story is good, the voice acting is really good....but is too short, I kinda enjoyed this game...there is not multiplayer or coop and that is not good but its still a really fun game...
  20. Mar 21, 2013
    Please. Anyone notice how the high ranked reviews sound suspiciously like they are written by the same people who made the game? few games are beneath contempt, or comment, This one is, partially because such rich source material is wasted...no, INSULTED, by the quality of this game
  21. Aug 5, 2013
    This is my review for walking dead: survival instinct SINGLE PLAYER: 4/10. good characters, but very poor storytelling and direction GRAPHICS: 3/10. outdated, awful N64 graphics with loads of glitches SOUND: 5/10. legit voice actors, but poor quality otherwise GAMEPLAY: 3/10. sub par controls, loads of glitches, and poor fighting and mechanics FUN FACTOR: 4/10. as a fan of the show, i was very disappointed with this mediocre attempt at the game. good ideas, but terrible execution. man, i wish this game turned out better.
    TOTAL: 3/10
  22. Mar 22, 2013
    i don't under how people are giving 10/10 to this game, i wonder if they are payed or just dunno are still playing games released 15 years and they are like wow this is a video game and at 40$+ you would expect AAA quality or refund, this worse than War Z and this is not a compliment.
  23. Mar 21, 2013
    I find myself these days scoring games higher, not because they are great games, but because they are trying. This is what it is, a mediocre game by all accounts. Unless you are a Walking Dead fan. The majority of this game is down to your own imagination. When I was a kid any Cowboy or War film came on I was upstairs getting all my gear together, by the time I had built my fort out of cushions the film was nearly over. If I was lucky I might take part in the final battle. I feel that way about this game. Loved the series and I loved the Telltale game. I was so geared up to play this game that it only had to tick two boxes to be appealing to me. Does it feel anything like you are part of the Walking Dead universe yes. Is it true to life with the zombie movement and reactions yes, and actually probably more so than many other games. Those were my requirements for this game. A lot of things could be better, graphics,UI design and story. Overall I would say fan of the Walking Dead buy the game and engage your imagination a little. Not a fan, don't go near it. If this was a standalone zombie game it would score 2 or 3. But because of the link to a franchise and because they do capture the overall essence of the TV show I score it higher. Expand
  24. Mar 21, 2013
    Graphics are bad, but hey, i like zombies and i like the walking dead series. So for me this game is pretty good. And graphics doesen't matter so much.
  25. Mar 23, 2013
    They should rename this title to "The Walking Disappointment". I think its amazing how the leaked trailer that was dismissed by Terminal Reality as not being actual gameplay, but in fact it was an exact representation of the game released! I really wanted this to be something special like TellTales TWD. What this game should of been was a 3rd person open world game! where you can go around Atlanta surviving the outbreak in the same way you do in DayZ, but with a proper story mode with emphasise on the bond between the Dixon brothers as they struggle to survive the outbreak. You could have loot-able shops,house's, cars,warehouse's etc, in this game you cant even break a car window or jump over a small fence to go places that look accessible! The Walking Dead isn't going to stop any time soon! so the quick cash in was totally pointless. They should of taken a leaf from TT's book... oh wait you did, you wrote a review about your own game, like TT's self review of Jurassic Park. Expand
  26. Mar 21, 2013
    I'm actually enjoying it as a fan of the series! It's not AAA grade, but it does a good job and I'll give it a 7. It is NOT a FPS. It's really a simulator of the TV show, and stealth is the way to go. I also like that you do not survive if you are rushed by walkers.

Seriously, it's not a 4/10. I'd give it 7/10, and I'm actually loving the game. Nice surprise.
  27. Mar 19, 2013
    I don't know how or WHY people expected this to be like Telltale's point and click adventure masterpiece, bought it and then got disappointed afterwards. It's a FPS survival horror and for the most part the game gets it right. The first person combat is fun, the storytelling is decent at best and the game has a somewhat unique art style to it. Visually it isn't really all that impressive but it captures the atmosphere of a post-apocalyptic, zombie ridden world quite well and, well it has that ''Walking Dead'' feel overall. All in all it's a great package. Some people coming from Telltale's Walking Dead: The Game are going to be disappointed if they expect a heart twisting story and a emotional story overall. I had fun with it, so should you. Expand
  28. Apr 24, 2013
    One of my favorite TV shows with Merle and Daryl made into a game was a dream come true. But the end result turned out to be a big disappointment. First of all, the graphics are really muddy and outdated when I started up the game. But i was willingly to looked past that to play the game. The game play itself is nothing amazing but sneaking pass zombies and killing them was pretty enjoyable. I found the assassination animation pretty repetitive and it would have been nice if the developers put different animations for different melee weapons Instead of the same old stab in the head with a knife. The story was bad and the ending was even worst. I enjoyed they the option to choose multiple paths which offers replay-ability. The choice to enlist different survivors was a pretty cool idea but they were completely useless and would be best to leave in the car. You can only have a certain number of survivors with you and you would have to leave someone behind if the car got full. I found it off leaving someone behind without a word of complaint. The only good part of the game is probably the appearance of Merle and Daryl but they barely say anything to increase the value of the game. Overall, the game was rushed and a quick cash in and not worth the buy. Expand
  29. Mar 20, 2013
    Very good game sound,zombie vibe and gameplay is amazing too bad that graphic isnt great but its decent overall this is very good game and it turns better if you like zombies in games
  30. Mar 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It’s hard to hear The Walking Dead and not have high hopes. The comics brought us in, the show pulled us deeper, and Telltale broke our hearts. However after playing about 40 minutes today I can say 100% that if you think this game is as good as it’s name, you’ll be let down. It’s not that it’s a bad game. We just expect more. Activision usually releases such great games but perhaps it’s because this game was not put in very capable developer hands. Terminal Realities just hasn’t been cranking out the hits like it did in the early 2000’s.

The positives? I always enjoy when a game puts resource conservation in my hands. I also enjoy that as I meet survivors I am in charge of what they do while I go scavenging. Do I want my buddy to stay by the car? Hunt for food? Look for guns and ammo? Those are all options. I can save my resources for me or share them with my party. I can heal them or risk them having less than perfect health the next time we meet monsters. You can't pick up everything you see so sometimes there's regrets for leaving a big gun or ammo behind. There’s a certain sense of fear that comes with hand to hand combat and while I detest stealth games, stealth killing is kind of fun here. Personally I found myself never using my rifle and instead fighting with a knife and hammer. Though into Mission 2, I found a nice little hand cannon that became a good friend. I was pretty underwhelmed with combat until I turned on a generator for a guy and was swarmed by 30 zombies. As I frantically climbed onto a gas tanker and watched as it quickly became surrounded I was legitimately afraid. When I jumped and ran for my group there’s was a small moment where I could have died and that was a good moment. I hope that there will be more moments like this as the game progresses. It definitely gets more interesting when the world goes a little darker and you've got nothing but your flashlight to light your way. Lets discuss the negatives. The graphics are subpar for a 2013 game. It was like they weren’t even trying. You’ll see the same zombies over and over again as you walk through farms, forests and trailer parks. So far the story just seems to be get gas, go further south and look for your family. Typical zombie tropes are relevant. Gunshots bring more zombies. One bite ends your life. Be careful not to get cornered, don’t alert more than 2 or 3 at a time or your going to have to be crafty to get away. Overall against the many other zombie FPS out there, it’s not a horrendous game. I find it as equally interesting as Dead Island and a bit more forgiving than ZombieU. I could look at it separately from canon if the game didn’t rely SO heavily on the TV show to sell it. Using the score from the show and Michael Rooker and Norman Reedus as voice actors keep the show in the back of my mind while playing. Which reminds me that I have yet to experience any story or plot, which is what I’ve enjoyed about Robert Kirkmans creation to begin with. Survival Instincts major flaw is that it never rises above being average, and will more than likely end up just another zombie FPS on the shelf. But it was decent which is why I gave it a 7. I will more than likely finish this game.

1. May 28, 2013
    With the success of Telltale Games’s arcade game, there were high hopes for this full-fledged retail title. As it happens you would be best off saving your pennies for the already announced sequel to the arcade title as Survival Instinct will leave you with bitter feelings towards The Walking Dead series. Unless you are an absolute nutter for anything to do with The Walking Dead, your money will be best spent elsewhere.
  2. May 20, 2013
    It's as if the developer simply ceased to care, or ran out of time, or both. Who knows? What we do know is that Terminal Velocity has crafted something truly loathsome and undeserving of its heritage. [Issue#135, p.108]
  3. May 9, 2013
    Archaic design spoils good ideas in this shoddy squandering of one of the hottest licenses going. [June 2013, p.74]