4.0

1. Mar 19, 2013
    I remember when a Dragon Age 2 developer hopped on here to shower praise on their half assed game. Seems alot like what's going on here. reviews that read like a promo cash in. So, show of hands...how many that scored it 10 are employed by Activision, AMC or Terminal Reality? Ya I figured.
  2. Mar 19, 2013
    At a release price of $49.99, you know right away you're not holding a blockbuster in your hands, but The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, for what it's worth, offers some really great ideas and new directions for gameplay, even if those great ideas are balanced with an equal helping of slipshod development, hackneyed gameplay, and lazy storytelling.

On the plus side, much like the
    popular show, you're thrown directly into the action, no waiting through any sort of cutscenes or setup, and since this is the exact opposite of every other game in existence, the result is jarring, in a good way. You feel like you would if this were the real zombie apocalypse. In this prequel to the television series, you play as Daryl Dixon, searching once again for Merle, on your way toward the supposedly safe city of Atlanta. Your job is to gather supplies and make careful decisions as to how to continue through the infested and overrun state of Georgia.

Most of the time you'll find yourself sneaking around in environments peeking from behind things and doing your best not to be seen or heard by any walkers. This is where the gameplay really shines too, because the feeling you get is actually intense and scary, a feeling most popular zombie games fail to capture these days. This is true survival horror at its best: slow-paced action with extremely limited weapons, and long stretches where you may not see enemies followed by large unexpected hordes. Parts of this game will remind you of what was great about the early installments of Resident Evil The game has its own pervasive mood, that is undeniably creepy.

Survival Instinct brings a bit of fresh thinking to the genre, which varies up the gameplay a bit. You'll find yourself given different ways to distract zombies and pull hordes to one side of the map while you attempt to sneak past. You'll also find things in the environment that can be strategically traded for other things. The survivors you encounter play as much a part in the game as the walkers.

The Walking Dead environment is well sold, thanks to voiceover work from Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker, which will add a bit of enjoyment for Walking Dead fans. That said, the writing isn't as strong as it is in the TV show, and it seems to exaggerate Daryl's quiet character. He's a bit of a jerk to everybody he meets, often answering questions with one or two words when people really need his help.

Ever since Gears of War and Call of Duty, game controls have sort of found themselves to be standardized, and this game (thankfully) doesn't deviate from tried-and-true formulas. It's relatively easy to wield weapons and move about, and doesn't seem to suffer from any collision-detection issues. The HUD is simple and intuitive. NPCs behave as you would expect, and supplies are hidden without too much difficulty, depending on the paths you choose.

Unfortunately, This game won't be wowing you with graphics. Coming from Terminal Reality, the same team that gave us Ghostbusters, you would expect a better job in this department. Sadly, the drab, simple environments and terrible texture rendering make this graphically more akin to Duke Nukem, which is just plain inexcusable considering how great Ghostbusters looked when it was released 4 years ago. There are about 5 character skins. You'll kill the same zombie a lot.

In addition, the environments overall feel limited, and it was disappointing how linear the game ends up being. You would always hope that a game that pits you against hordes of the undead would give you some room in the sandbox. This game, however, is a far cry from its predecessors, like Dead Island or Deadrising. Plan on moving forward a lot, because that's the only direction you'll be going.

In the world of storytelling, there isn't much to offer either. Don't expect a lot of cutscenes or much original dialogue. It happens, but when it does, much of it is a retread of things we've done in zombie games a hundred times before. Go get batteries for this, restore the power to that, get the key to this, etc. The NPCs feel cold, flat, and uninteresting. They're exactly the same people we've met in every zombie apocalypse ever. I would almost trade them for the much more interesting, if completely retarded ones from the first Deadrising. Lastly, and this is where the game design is an utter failure, this is one of those better-keep-the-console-running-because-there's-nowhere-to-f@$#ing-save kind of games. Extremely frustrating, you can play for an hour or more without finishing an objective, and should you be faced with shutting down, you're not getting that hour back, and for some of this game's worse faults, you might want it. Of course, the price point is a saving grace. It isn't worth $60, and Activision knew it. Good on them for dropping the price. Bad on them for rushing it to market. Overall the game is worth checking out, but maybe only once the price comes down enough to justify the flaws.
  3. Mar 20, 2013
    A mediocre game at best. Mundane and boring combat, awful textures and terrible jump-scares. This is a classic example of a rushed game trying to make as much money off a successful franchise as possible.
    The voice acting is rather bad and unrealistic and it's also rather bad.

However, that's not to say there isn't SOME good parts to this game, for example the whole survivor system
    where you can send them out to look for supplies is a rather good idea.

But in the end, this game only warrants a 5/10 from me, I honestly think there was some good ideas in this, and perhaps the developers didn't get enough time or resources to fully fulfil them.
  4. Mar 20, 2013
    I checked a few of the 10/10 reviews and they were first time reviews, on only this game. They seem like mark bots. So either fans talking up the franchise or company employees or trolls. Either way, don't believe it. I'd buy this game for $15 max and that is because I'm a chump for zombie games. Terrible graphics, stupidest a.i. I have seen in years and bad plot. Shame on an otherwise decent series. It is an obvious money grab with no effort put in. Expand
  5. Mar 19, 2013
    I don't know how or WHY people expected this to be like Telltale's point and click adventure masterpiece, bought it and then got disappointed afterwards. It's a FPS survival horror and for the most part the game gets it right. The first person combat is fun, the storytelling is decent at best and the game has a somewhat unique art style to it. Visually it isn't really all that impressive but it captures the atmosphere of a post-apocalyptic, zombie ridden world quite well and, well it has that ''Walking Dead'' feel overall. All in all it's a great package. Some people coming from Telltale's Walking Dead: The Game are going to be disappointed if they expect a heart twisting story and a emotional story overall. I had fun with it, so should you. Expand
  6. Mar 19, 2013
    Oh dear...another cash in.

This game is a dreadful FPS. It looks like it was made in 2005 not 2013.

Don't be fooled, this is not on par with the excellent series and looks like the result of a rushed, mess created to satisfy those who moaned that the first walking dead was a point and click.

At the end of the day this game smell of ploppy pants and doesn't deserve your cash.
  7. Mar 21, 2013
    OOOO dear itz so beefy....poor graphics even by beefys standards, chucklevision walker a.i., only reedeming features are the beefy theme tune and the main actors voice overs....da rest, as they say, IS BEEFY
  8. Mar 19, 2013
    I love the series and I loved telltale's game so I thought this follow the succes the series is having.
    Well I think it could have been a great game but somewhere in 2004-2005 then. I've seen tons of glitches and bugs in the environment and AI. The grafics feel like i'm playing duke nukem forever again. I think that a lot of people will buy it without knowing anything about this game.
    It's short, no co-op, no effort at all really.
    Everything has been done a lot better already so this really just is a way to make quick cash abusing the good name of that the walking dead has. I would not recommend this game to anyway, maybe if you get it for free...
  9. Mar 20, 2013
    the minute I heard this was from Activision, I knew this was gonna be bad. But then again, I could always be proven otherwise, could be fun like L4D2 which is mindless shooting and is still fun: spoiler, it isn't. don't grab this one
  10. Mar 19, 2013
    It's not the best graphic game, but overall it's surprisingly decent. Kind of a cheap Dead Island. I don't think it will appeal for everyone. If you are someone where the graphics have to be mind blowing, this game may not live up to our standard. But if you want a good time, and something till Bioshock comes out. This game might just be it.
  11. Mar 19, 2013
    Terrible game. The developers fail to make a game that grasps the player in the least. The graphics are awful, the gameplay is even worse. Don't even get me started on the story, its full of cliches and cheesy lines. Stay away from this game. Obviously, all of the good user scores are made by the pathetic activision. I would not recommend this game to anyone even to the biggest fans of TWD world.
  12. Mar 21, 2013
    EDIT* Do yourselves a favor and look how many people who gave it a 10 posted separate reviews for multiple systems for this game. Activision literally planted these people to bolster the scores. Their reviews are so off the mark it's so obvious that they're lying. Watch one gameplay video of the game and you'll see how fallacious their reviews are. DO NOT BUY THIS. *EDIT Game is actually pretty bad. Obviously rushed. You can tell from the small things like limited attack animations, barely any variation in zombie character models, bland textures, strained dialogue, maze-like levels that are covered by a veneer of non-linearity, and combat that is so dull you'll wonder why you aren't playing something else while you swing at the same zombie 5 times in a row (hitting their heads, mind you), just waiting for them to die and leave you alone so you can finally get through this barely 5-hour adventure. Expand
  13. Mar 19, 2013
    Wow this game is horrible! The graphics are choppy and so out dated, look at the hair texture on the walkers heads. I mean its like this game was made in someones basement. The AI of the walkers is a joke! They just stand around inn groups and wait to be shot! Its like you have god mode enabled all the time. The control latency is obvious movement feels sludgy and unresponsive. The missions are all the same, campaign is embarrassingly short. With a price of 49.99 at launch that alone should tell you not even activision thinks its a decent game there not even charging you full retail, evem they know this is a sub par game. I would not recommend this title to anyone. DO NOT BUY THIS Expand
  14. Mar 19, 2013
    This game blows massive chunks. Horrible plot and terrible graphics. I had hoped the game would've at least pleased me half as much as the Telltale game... So much for hope.
  15. Mar 21, 2013
    This game felt like it was headed in the right direction then some executive just stepped in and said "Release it now!" despite the fact that it was only half done.

The controls are the worst example of this half baked feeling. VERY clunky which is a deal breaker in a zombie game where you need fast reflexes to dispatch them in close combat. Weapon swings take SO LONG it would be a
    death sentence to try and fight more than one zombie with just melee weapon swings even with something like a sledge hammer. Bottom line melee in this game is totally broken and useless.

The best way to kill them is just hitting RB then side stepping behind them for an "execution" which is also WAY too quirky and buggy to work reliably.

The firearms in the game work fine nothing special but there really no point in using them because they attract every zombie on the map to your location. So the best strategy ends up being to run past everything to the end which you can do on almost every map.

If you try and go the "stealth" route which is what they clearly push in the game then you can enjoy all the melee bugs and instances of them respawning zombies right behind you to add difficulty. Then also enjoy all those free scratch hits zombies get while you try to melee with their awful combat system.

The "survivors" you pick up along the way are totally pointless. You can send them out to scavenge but supplies are so plentiful there's never a point to doing this and it ends up being a total waste of time.

The last level is horrendously bad. I won't spoil it for you but when you finish off the game you will realize just how bad and half baked this game was.

I would have loved to see what they could have done with more time and money. A better scavenging/survivor system and a much more fluid melee combat system would have propelled this game into the "good" category for sure. Sad to see this get rushed out.
  16. Mar 20, 2013
    The game is terrible. Off the gate, the gameplay videos looked terrible. Booting up the game the UI is horrendous and really out dated. The game seems to have been outsourced to college students, but none of them did the work except that one kid that didnt want to get a F.
  17. Mar 24, 2013
    I am a huge Walking Dead fan, but this game........ FANDBOYS, this game isnt worth the effort to defend. I was foolishly hyped up for it due to the excellent game "The Walking Dead", but instead we get a half assed, money grab. Not even the story could save this game!? Stop saying that the lowering of the price or the story. It sucks, its bad, please accept the fact that its bad and stop, watch the show and cry about it. Expand
  18. Mar 19, 2013
    This game is actually pretty fun to play. The way that it is setup makes it that way. The limited ammo and use of melee weapons is key to success. The stealth action is a must, and a nice change from the normal run and gun type of games this genre has seen in recent years. The only downside is that the graphics are slightly dated and that there is no co-op or multiplayer (right out of the box at least). Besides that, this game is pretty fun and may even startle you at times. It's definitely worth picking up at only $49.99. Expand
  19. Mar 20, 2013
    Firstly i started this because insulting jerks like Dagamerwitin who do not know a thing about game mechanic ,but about imagery of feces. .this game is clearly rushed to be a cash cow to take the money of fans. the other game is what should have been supported. i do believe the creators of "Star Wars Kinect" had put some real thought into this game ,but either did not have enough time to execute the game or did not have the skill. Expand
  20. Mar 27, 2013
    Lets have a look at this game shall we? Invisible walls? Check! A.I. that doesn't work most of the time? Check! Emotion? no.. Immersion? No.. An ending that closes up the story nicely and links to the Tv series? No... Graphics probably made by a monkey? Check! This game is a half arsed unfinished piece of published by greedy 'ol Bobby. Although i do merit the fact the good parts of gameplay were completely ripped off these flash games called "the last stand" which i quite enjoyed when i was a bit younger. Expand
  21. Mar 20, 2013
    If you like the cabela's hunting games then you may like this game. They have similar quality levels. The game is not open world, the environments you do play in are small. I can count the types of loot available on one hand, and the loot that is available is place in obvious places like on tables and desks. The environments are populated by alot of static debris that you can not interact with such as empty food containers that look like they should be useable but aren't. The zombies do not drop any loot. The game literally spawns zombies on top of you...on purpose; you will have no zombies around you and once you interact with a quest item...splat 3 zombies right beside you. They even spawn zombies on you right after cut scenes that force you into quicktime events that can kill you if you fail. You can not manually save, and the automatic save points are far apart when you are spend 30 mins trying to be stealthy searching a build and then die. When you die the game reloads at your last automatic save, meaning any items you have picked up and zombies you have kill are respawned. The combat mechanic is a dead island knock off that is poorly executed. You have a knock back attack that does no damage but keeps 1 zombie from attacking you for 1 second, and you have a swing weapon attack. The weapons take three or 4 hits to the face to kill a zombie and depending on your weapon require you to use the knock-back attack between swings. If you get grabbed by a zombie you are put into a quick-time event where you cross-hairs are swaying back and forth on your screen and you have to target the head of the zombie to stab it; you can get grabbed by multiple zombies back to back and they form a queue on you like their trying to by hotdogs. There are no drivable vehicles, driving is done during the loading screens where you get to watch a red line move on a map...weeee. Weapons do not break. Weapons have a set amount of damage with no range on them, so it always takes the same amount of hits to kill a zombie. The Graphics are last generation quality....animations, environments, characters, etc. Expand
  22. Mar 22, 2013
    Ill save you the time and just tell you now not to buy the game. First off, the gameplay is just sub par. There is nothing really challenging about it, and sometimes the zombies are too stupid to even make good dead people. The graphics are terrible, but that is acceptable to an extent (It not all about the visuals.) But why does it deserve a three? Because i can't think of a SINGLE good aspect of the game short of the Dixon brothers and real voice actors from the TV show. Expand
  23. Mar 19, 2013
    Almost as bad as The Walking Dead: The Game by Failtell Games. Graphics are subpar, story is meh, and the only redeeming quality is the game play which eventually feels kind of meh as well. Funny how people are saying all these things about this game that can also be directed at the Telltale Game failure. At least this has gameplay though.
  24. Mar 20, 2013
    Watch out for bots with generic names giving high ranking generic reviews below. Also with only one review in their history (for this game only). I've never seen companies do that before. My guess is marketing people at activision? lol! Staff at Metacritic should get on their IP's because it's a pretty shady way to boost a score, and very telling of the level of confidence they have in their product. Expand
  25. Mar 20, 2013
    What makes a zombie game good for me. That's really what you need to ask yourself. For me it's the atmosphere the game gives me. Been playing for around 4 hours and find it refreshing that I haven't been attacked by spitters, witches, tanks and other kind of super zombies. Just me and the walkers. Sure the graphics good be better but it really isn't that bad. I love it when you're indoors with your flashlight on and the shadows it produces. Or the grain filter it has that's also on the tv show. Love the survival feel it gives me. Stopped on a mission to push a car to clear the road and to survive had to use most ammo that I had. Traveled to my next destination and had to play different because I had no ammo left. But can see why a lot of people won't like this game. This is not like the zombie mode on BO where you end up running a little circle and make a train of the zombies again and again to survive. Expand
  26. Mar 20, 2013
    I had been looking forward to this game. RPG and FPS games are mainly what I play, but I did play the tell tale walking dead game (I read the comic, watch the show, blah blah) I thought tell tales game did not have enough options an gave less freedom than what I look for in a game, and plus there was no actual zombie fighting. So you can see why I was thrilled that this FPS game was coming out. First couple of chapters were awesome! I was kicking zombie butt! Then a couple of chapters later in the game you can see that is much more strategy than I feel necessary. There are more zombies and they are even harder to kill (One or the other folks, not both) Without giving a spoiler There are parts in the game that you HAVE to do things a very specific way and if you try to do it a different way you automatically die. Is this a glitch? A major complaint of mine is that there are no difficulty options; I like to play on easy or medium the first time through a game. This game is a difficult one and I like to play casual the first time through to get a feel for the storyline. In Survival Instinct you are too busy looking over your shoulder, while you would think that would make the game feel "authentic", it doesn't. Only being able to keep 10 items on your character? thumbs down. I see a lot of highly positive reviews... I can see that these people are not real gamers, they're walking dead fans which is awesome I like both, but I'm not going to kiss walking dead's ass for making an awful game. I really did have high hopes for this since I love gaming and walking dead, but I'm a gamer first. A note to the creators: I still love you and you can have a second chance. Expand
  27. Mar 20, 2013
    I only picked this up for my enthrallment of the Walking Dead, this kind of killed it a little. I spead ran through the game in 1hr 30mins, the graphics are mediocre at best, the story has it moments but they are few and far between. The $50 new price tag had me skeptical, and now I know why, it is a cash grab before the end of the television season. Needless to say, Gamestop will have an extra copy to sell to a sorry consumer, I am extremely disappointed in this. Expand
  28. Mar 20, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a pretty hot cup of pig fat these days. It's successful as a comic, TV show, video game, and probably bath soap if it doesn't chill off a bit. Now here's something else they've thrown at us, with yet another game those of you paying zero attention will confuse as something it's not. This one has nothing to do with that little bit of episodic business TellTale put out last year. No, this title takes its universe from that fine AMC television program where people get really short with one another and make their most serious faces, until eyes start crossing and forehead veins pop all over Lori's neck and chest.. full review at http://www.bloodwcinnamon.com/rev/walkingdeadsi.html Expand
  29. Mar 19, 2013
    This game is a must for a walking dead TV fan, it had all the atmosphere that it needs. Well worth the money if you look around its already reduced in some stores.
  30. Mar 19, 2013
    My first issue is why isn't this game about me, I mean come on already. Let's check some key character flaws in our main character Daryl Dixon. 1) Daryl Dixon is a "master tracker"..... I really can't be the only one who knows this guys spent like two weeks looking for a little girl and only found some flowers. I mean this is Georgia, Ray Charles can find a flower here. (Since I woke up from a coma I have found a bicycle, Morgan and Duane, guns, a horse, a tank, Lori and Carl, a deer, a prison and that my best friend slept with my wife. I mean the list goes on and on.) 2) Daryl Dixon uses "stealth" to take down walkers....Oh yeah, "Mr. excuse my while I put my corss bow on my back and drive the loudest vehicle I can find". Because, you only need stealth after everyone in northern Georgia knows your on the road. (I stealth killed my best friend with a knife, two guys in a bar with a revolver and some tool in a prison with a machete. I also didn't get caught while we raided a town.) 3) Daryl Dixon wears a vest with angel wings on it..... I mean really, who still wears Affliction shirts? (You got me there, I wouldn't be caught dead in that vest.) I could go on and on but you all get the point, why him and not me? Expand
  31. Mar 19, 2013
    It's short, no co-op, no effort at all really.

1. May 28, 2013
    With the success of Telltale Games’s arcade game, there were high hopes for this full-fledged retail title. As it happens you would be best off saving your pennies for the already announced sequel to the arcade title as Survival Instinct will leave you with bitter feelings towards The Walking Dead series. Unless you are an absolute nutter for anything to do with The Walking Dead, your money will be best spent elsewhere.
  2. May 20, 2013
    It's as if the developer simply ceased to care, or ran out of time, or both. Who knows? What we do know is that Terminal Velocity has crafted something truly loathsome and undeserving of its heritage. [Issue#135, p.108]
  3. May 9, 2013
    Archaic design spoils good ideas in this shoddy squandering of one of the hottest licenses going. [June 2013, p.74]