4.0

1. Mar 19, 2013
    Oh dear...another cash in.

This game is a dreadful FPS. It looks like it was made in 2005 not 2013.

Don't be fooled, this is not on par with the excellent series and looks like the result of a rushed, mess created to satisfy those who moaned that the first walking dead was a point and click.

At the end of the day this game smell of ploppy pants and doesn't deserve your cash.
  2. Mar 21, 2013
    This game felt like it was headed in the right direction then some executive just stepped in and said "Release it now!" despite the fact that it was only half done.

The controls are the worst example of this half baked feeling. VERY clunky which is a deal breaker in a zombie game where you need fast reflexes to dispatch them in close combat. Weapon swings take SO LONG it would be a
    death sentence to try and fight more than one zombie with just melee weapon swings even with something like a sledge hammer. Bottom line melee in this game is totally broken and useless.

The best way to kill them is just hitting RB then side stepping behind them for an "execution" which is also WAY too quirky and buggy to work reliably.

The firearms in the game work fine nothing special but there really no point in using them because they attract every zombie on the map to your location. So the best strategy ends up being to run past everything to the end which you can do on almost every map.

If you try and go the "stealth" route which is what they clearly push in the game then you can enjoy all the melee bugs and instances of them respawning zombies right behind you to add difficulty. Then also enjoy all those free scratch hits zombies get while you try to melee with their awful combat system.

The "survivors" you pick up along the way are totally pointless. You can send them out to scavenge but supplies are so plentiful there's never a point to doing this and it ends up being a total waste of time.

The last level is horrendously bad. I won't spoil it for you but when you finish off the game you will realize just how bad and half baked this game was.

I would have loved to see what they could have done with more time and money. A better scavenging/survivor system and a much more fluid melee combat system would have propelled this game into the "good" category for sure. Sad to see this get rushed out.
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    This game blows massive chunks. Horrible plot and terrible graphics. I had hoped the game would've at least pleased me half as much as the Telltale game... So much for hope.
  4. Mar 24, 2013
    I am a huge Walking Dead fan, but this game........ FANDBOYS, this game isnt worth the effort to defend. I was foolishly hyped up for it due to the excellent game "The Walking Dead", but instead we get a half assed, money grab. Not even the story could save this game!? Stop saying that the lowering of the price or the story. It sucks, its bad, please accept the fact that its bad and stop, watch the show and cry about it. Expand
  5. Mar 26, 2013
    Awful game. graphics are just awful at least borderland 2 meant to have comic graphics.grass just looks like a cardboard box painted green a laid on the ground.zombies are as stupid as a drunken hobo in fact the only highlight of this game is the voice acting of Norman reedus.do not buy.
  6. Apr 1, 2013
    WTF is this. This was terrible ive never seen anything more poorly excuted in my life. The only positive is the voice acting thats it. The survival aspects are gone in this. You have poor AI for zombies! Really how do mess that up i cant believe it
  7. Apr 5, 2013
    The back story to Daryl and Merle... was a FAILURE. No wow factor, nothing in this game will want you to keep playing to the end. It's pretty bad when you care less about the characters as the LEADS in a game as opposed to the TV show where they are not. This game is worth a play at 10 bucks, but anything more and you're just getting ripped off.
  8. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game had high hopes for me being a hardcore fan of the series, then I played it, now this game had piss poor graphics to warz standard, and a combat system with duh hit 3 times that'll do it" not much variety at all. So I expected the story and atmosphere to do something, like the telltale game, WRONG linear story, goofy walkers and no feel that the world went to Now there are cool features like going in stealthy or Rambo-ing it up with guns but it made no difference, then there was alternate routes back roads used more fuel but more scavenge opportunities but then highways had lower fuel consumption but you break down more often. This cool except you can take the highways, use less fuel then break down and scavenge for supplies in same gas station you find every time with ZERO variety.
    Then at the end SPOILERS!! you get a cliffhanger ending where Daryl and Merle drive off into the sunset YOU it is mass effect 3 bad.
    Then if you buy the dlc what happens oh some new guns and a absolute survival mode that has 1 map and random weapons spawn. There is no tactics just shoot every thing in sight and drink some soda while your at it.
    So final verdict is rental or pirate it cause it has potential bad terrible execution.
  9. Nov 21, 2013
    There are some good things about this game, but they are countered by the many things wrong with this poor excuse for a licensed video game. The graphics are textureless, the story is dull and lacking (especially for walking dead) voice acting is awful, and most of all... there is no replay values. This game could have been soooo much more.
  10. Nov 25, 2013
    This game is a very big deception to the AMC TV show TWD. I love the series but the game is worse that I thought. The story is monotone, the sceneries are always the same as well as the zombies appearance. The graphics and the movements are very limited as well as the gameplay. In this game you don't have an emotion and a connection with your "partners", you can treat them as dolls. The only positive point is: you play with Daryl. Expand
  11. Mar 25, 2013
    This game was not even completed! The animations look unfinished, concepts are there but not fully implemented, almost everything seems half-arsed and rushed. There appears to be no optimization at all. Changing screen resolution and graphics options crashes my game to desktop followed by a bunch of error messages. It's as if this was an alpha build and some idiot in charge said, "Release this now!", and the developers gave up trying to explain to that person that the game wasn't completed. It should have spent a few more months in development. I don't even care that the graphics aren't the best I've seen, I was just hoping for a game that actually worked and was finished, and had all the ideas FULLY implemented into them that were talked about while it was in development; a game that put me into the walking dead world and was tense. I just hate to have to give a game such a low score, but the fact that it was released like this with a $50 price tag ticks me off, and I want everyone to know that they should avoid buying this game like the plague. I seriously doubt they can fix (finish) this game by releasing a series of patches. It's just awful. The one point I do give it for the fact that they put in RPG elements and the ability to lean to look around corners as well as a few other little things. But these little things that might surprise you and make you say, "hey, that is cool!" are just overshadowed by the gut wrenching fact that they are inside of a big steaming pile of over-priced pooh. Expand
  12. Mar 19, 2013
    I love the series and I loved telltale's game so I thought this follow the succes the series is having.
    Well I think it could have been a great game but somewhere in 2004-2005 then. I've seen tons of glitches and bugs in the environment and AI. The grafics feel like i'm playing duke nukem forever again. I think that a lot of people will buy it without knowing anything about this game.
    It's short, no co-op, no effort at all really.
    Everything has been done a lot better already so this really just is a way to make quick cash abusing the good name of that the walking dead has. I would not recommend this game to anyway, maybe if you get it for free...
  13. Mar 20, 2013
    If you like the cabela's hunting games then you may like this game. They have similar quality levels. The game is not open world, the environments you do play in are small. I can count the types of loot available on one hand, and the loot that is available is place in obvious places like on tables and desks. The environments are populated by alot of static debris that you can not interact with such as empty food containers that look like they should be useable but aren't. The zombies do not drop any loot. The game literally spawns zombies on top of you...on purpose; you will have no zombies around you and once you interact with a quest item...splat 3 zombies right beside you. They even spawn zombies on you right after cut scenes that force you into quicktime events that can kill you if you fail. You can not manually save, and the automatic save points are far apart when you are spend 30 mins trying to be stealthy searching a build and then die. When you die the game reloads at your last automatic save, meaning any items you have picked up and zombies you have kill are respawned. The combat mechanic is a dead island knock off that is poorly executed. You have a knock back attack that does no damage but keeps 1 zombie from attacking you for 1 second, and you have a swing weapon attack. The weapons take three or 4 hits to the face to kill a zombie and depending on your weapon require you to use the knock-back attack between swings. If you get grabbed by a zombie you are put into a quick-time event where you cross-hairs are swaying back and forth on your screen and you have to target the head of the zombie to stab it; you can get grabbed by multiple zombies back to back and they form a queue on you like their trying to by hotdogs. There are no drivable vehicles, driving is done during the loading screens where you get to watch a red line move on a map...weeee. Weapons do not break. Weapons have a set amount of damage with no range on them, so it always takes the same amount of hits to kill a zombie. The Graphics are last generation quality....animations, environments, characters, etc. Expand
  14. Mar 23, 2013
    Whoever rated this anywhere near 10, needs to reconsider their purpose in life. Daikatana and Fable 3 must easily be a 15 if this was a 10. The only good thing about this game is laughing at it with other people. But even if you laugh through it, you will end up feeling depressed and feel the need to bash your head against the wall to forget the tragedy which you someone happened to play before reading reviews. The ending is a joke and instantly shows that the game wasn't anywhere near finished. There are no feels in this game. Expand
  15. Mar 21, 2013
    Please. Anyone notice how the high ranked reviews sound suspiciously like they are written by the same people who made the game? few games are beneath contempt, or comment, This one is, partially because such rich source material is wasted...no, INSULTED, by the quality of this game
  16. Mar 22, 2013
    i don't under how people are giving 10/10 to this game, i wonder if they are payed or just dunno are still playing games released 15 years and they are like wow this is a video game and at 40$+ you would expect AAA quality or refund, this worse than War Z and this is not a compliment.
  17. Mar 21, 2013
    EDIT* Do yourselves a favor and look how many people who gave it a 10 posted separate reviews for multiple systems for this game. Activision literally planted these people to bolster the scores. Their reviews are so off the mark it's so obvious that they're lying. Watch one gameplay video of the game and you'll see how fallacious their reviews are. DO NOT BUY THIS. *EDIT Game is actually pretty bad. Obviously rushed. You can tell from the small things like limited attack animations, barely any variation in zombie character models, bland textures, strained dialogue, maze-like levels that are covered by a veneer of non-linearity, and combat that is so dull you'll wonder why you aren't playing something else while you swing at the same zombie 5 times in a row (hitting their heads, mind you), just waiting for them to die and leave you alone so you can finally get through this barely 5-hour adventure. Expand
  18. Mar 20, 2013
    I had been looking forward to this game. RPG and FPS games are mainly what I play, but I did play the tell tale walking dead game (I read the comic, watch the show, blah blah) I thought tell tales game did not have enough options an gave less freedom than what I look for in a game, and plus there was no actual zombie fighting. So you can see why I was thrilled that this FPS game was coming out. First couple of chapters were awesome! I was kicking zombie butt! Then a couple of chapters later in the game you can see that is much more strategy than I feel necessary. There are more zombies and they are even harder to kill (One or the other folks, not both) Without giving a spoiler There are parts in the game that you HAVE to do things a very specific way and if you try to do it a different way you automatically die. Is this a glitch? A major complaint of mine is that there are no difficulty options; I like to play on easy or medium the first time through a game. This game is a difficult one and I like to play casual the first time through to get a feel for the storyline. In Survival Instinct you are too busy looking over your shoulder, while you would think that would make the game feel "authentic", it doesn't. Only being able to keep 10 items on your character? thumbs down. I see a lot of highly positive reviews... I can see that these people are not real gamers, they're walking dead fans which is awesome I like both, but I'm not going to kiss walking dead's ass for making an awful game. I really did have high hopes for this since I love gaming and walking dead, but I'm a gamer first. A note to the creators: I still love you and you can have a second chance. Expand
  19. Mar 22, 2013
    To keep things short and to the point, this game is not good. Boring, slow game play. Horrible graphics. Decent story. I knew this was gonna be bad from the start, and it was. And as a hardcore fan of the TV series, I am disappointed. The ONLY reason this does not get a zero is because of the voice acting by the characters.
  20. Mar 27, 2013
    Lets have a look at this game shall we? Invisible walls? Check! A.I. that doesn't work most of the time? Check! Emotion? no.. Immersion? No.. An ending that closes up the story nicely and links to the Tv series? No... Graphics probably made by a monkey? Check! This game is a half arsed unfinished piece of published by greedy 'ol Bobby. Although i do merit the fact the good parts of gameplay were completely ripped off these flash games called "the last stand" which i quite enjoyed when i was a bit younger. Expand
  21. Apr 25, 2013
    This game could have been so much more. But it wasn't. When I saw it advertised instead of being excited and interested, I just simply said 'This'll be terrible.' The game itself is broken and the A.I. is that of a wondering sheep in a field.
  22. Apr 27, 2013
    Terrible. It was a good thought for a game but thy should have spent more time with it. Honestly I hated and it was not worth 40 bucks maybe 10 or 15.
  23. Feb 7, 2014
    AWFUL!!! Quite possibly the worst game I have played on this console generation. A cash in money grab by Activision to take advantage of fans. I love the walking dead and loved telltales version go buy that not this it's cheaper and more fun and will not make you want to kill yourself. Beware the 10/10 reviews they mostly only have that one review on their account hello Activision staff we are not as stupid as you like to think. Personally I would find a real zombie apocalypse a lot less distressing than playing this game.

The only reason it get's a 1 is due to the fact they released a game that sort of works all though I wish they had not and would have not had to suffer through it. You get the feeling it was rushed and no one gave a toss it was just a scam to separate you from your hard earned cash.

The good- Errr it is short so you don't suffer any longer than necessary
    The bad- A toss up between the awful combat awful look of the game.
    The ugly- How can you not program zombie A.I? Please tell me
    Verdict: 1/10 YOU FAIL IT!!
  24. Feb 8, 2014
    Why the flying f**k was this game made?! I mean seriously I was disappointed, my world with Lee and Clementine is sooooo much more interesting than this steaming pile of crap. The only thing I liked about this game is that later on you get to use THE GODDAMN CROSSBOW! Which is a show iconic weapon... I feel a bit bad for the actors who decided to stay in this ah well but at least they were interesting and did rather good in their part of the game. And whoever gives this a 10 I will hunt you down and do what I did to Larry.
    I'm Kenny from the walking dead and I review to save lives.
  25. Feb 9, 2014
    Absolutely horrible. I wish I never bought this game. Save your money. The only good part is the actors voice-overs. I got it to have a TWD weekend starting with playing the game and then watching the return of the show on Feb 9th. I played the game for one hour and couldn't stand it anymore. It's in the box on the shelf never to be seen again. Thanks for ruining a fun weekend Activision.
  26. Mar 27, 2013
    I made it 30 minutes into this game and quit. Its a horrible cash grab, and deserves to be forgotten in a trash bin. The developers must have droped a load in their pants when TellTale's game started winning awards and they knew they had to come out with this trash with a TWD stamp on it.

Norman Reedus and Michale Rooker, are both amazing actors but this game is sadly not.
  27. Mar 27, 2013
    This game is utterly terrible, everything in this game is half-assed, from the gameplay to the story to the presentation. Why is it, that most film adaptations have to be THIS bad? And it's also approved by Activision, one of the biggest publishers, this has to be one of the biggest cash in the past few months. This game is a disgrace and absoluitely NO match to the TV-series. It appears this game was made for the uninformed peasants who just buy games after the cover and because of the name. This game is a prime example of today's idiocracy in the gaming industry. STAY CLEAR, this game is NOT worth the money. Pirate it if you really want to play it.. Expand
  28. Mar 21, 2013
    Ok, let's get one thing straight. This is not Telltale's Walking Dead nor did I expect it to be one, I expected this to be at least enjoyable zombie bashing game, but no. First of all the graphics. Good graphics don't make good game but c'mon! If I pay full retail price for a game I expect to have at least good graphics! This is XBLA quality and this belongs there if even deserving that. Then the enemies, or should I say enemy, the zombie. You basically kill this same zombie a million times over the course of the game, this slow moving, brainless zombie that just comes toward you. I didn't expect them to have stellar AI seeing as they obviously are zombies, but they could've at least thrown some human enemies there, like the comic book, tv show and even Telltale's game had. Human enemies make you see other side of the zombie apocalypse and what people are capable of if they need to survive. The show especially captivates this feeling perfectly. Combat itself is just boring, just boring and boring is the worst sin a game can make. It's not bad story and voice acting, bad gameplay, bad graphics or lots of bugs, those can make the game fun to play even though they're bad, there are lots of examples, but WD:SI is just boring. No game should be boring to play. I just don't understand how people can give this game positive reviews, probably because they don't know better and don't understand the point of Walking Dead, and this isn't Walking Dead. Outside of Daryll, nothing here says Walking Dead. No caring about the people you come into contact with, basically no feel of surviving and it just becomes annoying. People are saying stuff like "fans will love this." NO! Just no! If you're fan, you will stay the f**k away from this, WD franchise doesn't deserve this kind of treatment and fans should be the ones who criticize this game harshly to make developers understand that this kind of s**t is not ok, it's not ok to make bad games and piss in the eyes of fans of this franchise or any franchise. Say no if you're fan of WD, maybe then we could actually get another awesome game like Telltale's WD, or even game like Survival Instinct that ACTUALLY is good. But as long as you people keep giving bad games positive reviews and giving them the assumption that this kind of crap and mediocrity is ok, no. Just say no and make them give us actually good and worthwile games. Expand
  29. Mar 20, 2013
    The game is terrible. Off the gate, the gameplay videos looked terrible. Booting up the game the UI is horrendous and really out dated. The game seems to have been outsourced to college students, but none of them did the work except that one kid that didnt want to get a F.
  30. Mar 30, 2013
    I don't understand how it is possible for someone to say anything good about this game. I am a huge Walking Dead fan and wasn't expecting much from this game, however I was shocked at how bad it actually was. Prepare yourself for dull gameplay that is so repetitive, it will make you sick. The fake sweat pouring down the screen is incredibly stupid. This was by far the worst game I played this generation. Anyone who gives this a good review has to be a developer. Unreal that some idiot would give it a 10 then try backing it by saying it was story driven. I give it a 0 due to how many undeserving 8s, 9s, and 10s it received. Expand
  31. Mar 19, 2013
    I believe that for a $49.99 price, this is definitely worth it. It stays true to the story, and the game play is great. I highly recommend you buy this game.
  32. Mar 19, 2013
    Wow this game is horrible! The graphics are choppy and so out dated, look at the hair texture on the walkers heads. I mean its like this game was made in someones basement. The AI of the walkers is a joke! They just stand around inn groups and wait to be shot! Its like you have god mode enabled all the time. The control latency is obvious movement feels sludgy and unresponsive. The missions are all the same, campaign is embarrassingly short. With a price of 49.99 at launch that alone should tell you not even activision thinks its a decent game there not even charging you full retail, evem they know this is a sub par game. I would not recommend this title to anyone. DO NOT BUY THIS Expand
  33. Mar 23, 2013
    The only thing going for the game is the voice over actors Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker which, unfortunately for them cannot do them much good, in fact, I would be pursuing for career damages with this absolute pile of steaming sh!t.
  34. Mar 24, 2013
    It's a real shame Terminal Reality (or Activision but I mostly suspect TR for that, Activision wouldn't be that dumb) are using bots on Metacritic to "boost" their User Score.

I hope Metacritic techs are saving the IPs user agent of all these 10/10 reviews and doing a little bit of tracing, if that goes unpunished all the shoddy devs like TR will do the same to Metacritic.
  35. Feb 24, 2014
    I will start by saying "I love the walking dead series"!! Maybe this is why i am rating this game so low.. oh no it is because this game has no merit what so ever. The movement is terrible, the zombies are terrible and the game play.. well i only played it for about an hour before selling it. I lost £15 instantly but glad to see the back of it. How did you score it 4.0 Meta? Honestly

1. May 28, 2013
    With the success of Telltale Games’s arcade game, there were high hopes for this full-fledged retail title. As it happens you would be best off saving your pennies for the already announced sequel to the arcade title as Survival Instinct will leave you with bitter feelings towards The Walking Dead series. Unless you are an absolute nutter for anything to do with The Walking Dead, your money will be best spent elsewhere.
  2. May 20, 2013
    It's as if the developer simply ceased to care, or ran out of time, or both. Who knows? What we do know is that Terminal Velocity has crafted something truly loathsome and undeserving of its heritage. [Issue#135, p.108]
  3. May 9, 2013
    Archaic design spoils good ideas in this shoddy squandering of one of the hottest licenses going. [June 2013, p.74]