8.4

1. May 23, 2012
    This is one of the most disappointing game purchases I've ever made. I read all the positive reviews, and rushed to Best Buy to put down my $60. I wanted to love this game. Unfortunately, after playing for a few hours, I really hate the game. Here is why. First session of playing the game, I start the tutorial. I get to the part that requires throwing a bomb - and the control to throw the bomb DOES NOT WORK. And the tutorial will not advance until you throw the bomb. No way to cancel the tutorial....I google the issue, its a bug. Have to exit the game and loose my progress so far. Restart the game, and have to replay 10 minutes of tutorial to get to the same point. 2nd play through the controls work.

That kind of bug getting through QA - just not acceptable.

Combat is another reason that I don't care for this game. There are too many cases where the combat is just no fun, and the controls seem to work against you. Specifically, if you use the lock-on feature - there is no rhyme or reason as to which enemy you will attack - and using the feature often has you diving into the middle of several enemies and quickly dying. Second, as you walk through the world - you will randomly get dropped into a group of mobs - and have very little chance of surviving the encounter. During these encounters - its not a question of playing well. You simply get overwhelmed by the number of enemies and you die. You then have to wait 1-2 minutes while the game stops, tells you you are dead, and you have to reload your most recent save. A poor design decision that really takes you out of the game. And since dying seems to happen fairly regularly, this process amounts to an unecessary frustration. There are plenty of other RPGs, that have a better design so that dying is a sign of challenge - but doesn't lead to anger and frustration. Next, is the quest and map system. At multiple points in the first chapter - you will be left clueless as to where you have to go to move the quest along. Sometimes the map will show you a general direction - but at others it gives no useful information. So you will spend 30-40 minutes wandering around cursing trying to figure out how to advance the quest and the game. Worse, however, is a quest system that actually breaks a main quest into 2-3 separate quests in your quest log. And, its unclear that you have to finish multiple separate quests before trying to tackle the boss fight at the end of the quest chain. So, in my case - I'm in a boss fight that I cannot win - because i didn't realize I need to finish a separate quest to manufacture a special trap. So....I can basically lose 2-3 hours of gameplay; or, I can stop playing the game.

Finally, I spent way too much time watching cut scenes that are meant to convey the complex story. With brief forays into actually playing the game. Followed by a lot more cut scenes. Followed by a brief amount of game play.

Don't get me wrong - there is an interesting and complex story in this game. But, too many of the developer's design decisions make actually playing the game a frustrating and un-fun proposition. I enjoyed the story - but I never enjoyed playing the game. The combat controls work against you, and the quest design and map/UI are confusing and useless multiple times in the first chapter.

I don't mind a challenge, or dying. I enjoy demon souls | dark souls. I do mind a game that has poor design choices, and pulls you out of the game too frequently. After getting into the boss fight w/no chance of winning without significant back tracking - I'm going to trade the game in.
  2. May 30, 2012
    I agree with what many of the negative reviews have said: the game is very linear, you can't walk off a 3-inch ledge and are constantly walled in, the combat is usually awkward and many times consists of rolling around avoiding enemies while your health regenerates (TERRIBLE choice for an RPG IMO), the potion system is annoying, and the lack of loot/equipment/customization is disappointing for a supposedly hardcore RPG.

But all of that *could* be forgiven, because as far as I'm concerned, whether you like W2 will come down to one thing: how much you're invested/interested in the story. I can appreciate that there's a complex story here, but I absolutely don't care about it or any of the characters. Also, for all the comments about how great and mature this game's writing is, I think in many places it's sloppy and juvenile. It has bizarrely anachronistic language for a game that's supposed to be in some alternate universe Middle Ages-type setting. Also, saying "cocksucker" a bunch isn't mature writing, it's how a college freshmen writes when they're trying to come off as older and edgy. Oh, and the sex scenes are laughably bad. So for me, W2 is a big disappointment, and I really tried to like it. In fact, I almost bought a gaming PC just so I could play this when it came out. Obviously it was a good decision not to do that.
  3. May 9, 2012
    Very disappointing game. By and large you play the game on rails, you can wander a bit around the location you're currently in, but thats it. An example would be in a wood, where you can't leave the predefined paths - you may be the mighty witcher, but you cant cross a small bush to a path you can see just the other side of it, you have to wind your way around the predefind paths. Hope you're psychic too, because the potions you need for combat you have to take before you even know a combat encounter is coming. Expect to lose a fight, restart, take your potions then fight all over again. Frustrating and spoils the flow of the game. You'll need some ear plugs too, because there is loads and loads and loads of unecessary swearing. It may give the teens a giggle, but it starts to feel like the spongebob 'spicy language' episode after a while and just gets tedious and faintly ridiculous. Expect lots of americanisms in the broadly british voice acting. Lost of good welsh, scots, irish and english voiceovers, but hearing them say words like "holler'ing" instead of "shouting" just spoils the medieval atmosphere completely. Oh and don't worry, the hero has an american accent. Bottom line, I sold this game just three days (and about 5 hours gaming) after buying it. Maybe I was spoilt by Oblivion and Skyrim, but I found I even preferred Divinity to Witcher2. Expand
  4. May 24, 2012
    A good concept that falls short in execution and game play. The story is interesting and original with some wonderous landscapes. Unfortunetely, the controls and battles are so complicated as to make the game near unplayable. Combat is performed through a series of trigger pulls and adjustments of the camera, all while keeping an eye on all opponents to figure out your counter attack timing, whether you should parry or dodge, as well as random alerts all over the screen. While one or two opponents are managable, a gaggle of foes will turn your experience into a wild slugfest, and the auto-save feature is unforgiving. Expect to die often and replay several stages over again. This game also suffers from being too closely tied into the first one, making you feel left out of conversations between characters, especially when given dialogue options. Overall, great idea that needed more work before finding its way to shelves. Expand
  5. Jun 30, 2012
    Just too choreographed, nothing new, too restrictive you cant walk through a couple of shrubs, map very small, not enough options during dialogue, not enough fighting moves, very basic, very disappointed.
    Im giving it 1 out of 10, really its a 4, but we need to be realistic on the average user score here, some guys gave it 10, nothing is a ten they must be on glue!!!!
  6. May 24, 2012
    This game will suck the soul out of anyone who has one.. i didnt even get out of my training path tree because i thought my mind might implode. I cant see how someone would enjoy a game like this.. I certainly wanted to but You dont really play it you just watch it and interact when it says press A button now Tap x Button.. zzzzzzzz zzz zzz zz z God am i alive ? The adult theme is a step in the right direction but at its best its just Another tedious bloated unsatisfying rpg.. If the game world was seamless it could be a success.. unfortunately walking through doors watching loading screens watching cutscene after cutscene is akin to watching paint dry, crack and peel off. This game is just one sigh after another. combat is slightly better than skyrim.. not saying much though. In fact its a disgrace. Skyrims was possibly the worst i have experienced.. This type of game with its cutscene extravaganza is the death, scourge and plague of modern day games.. Dont be fooled by the high scores theres a lot of very very special people out there.. Expand
  7. Jul 4, 2012
    Very poor game. I can only think there be people paid to write hundreds of good reviews- I don't understand why this game is highly rated.
    The combat- lousy. Hack, slash, roll, throw a magic spell- and the notion of 'preparing' for combat by drinking such and such potion when facing such and such foes doesn't work when those foes appear out of nowhere. The quest pointer system doesn't
    work- of the 23 hours I spent playing this lousy game half of that time was spent running around in circles. No NSEW compass indicator, etc. You cannot jump over things, so to get over that foot high rock means backtracking down the path and hunting for an area where you are allowed to jump or climb. As for the story- I didnt buy the game for a good story, I bought it for a good RPG experience- which it is not.
    This game will soon appear in bargain bins, and makes game ratings on the internet highly suspect, if a piece of crap like this can get so many good reviews. BTW- I loved Oblivion, fallout 3, fallout NV, skyrim (i prefer oblivion though) and was very disappointed with the Witcher 2.
  8. Oct 5, 2012
    This game is awful. Really, just awful. Pretty much everything that reviewers inexplicably cite as something good about the game is actually horribly done. For the 360 version, let's get started with the graphics. Of course they weren't going to be as good as the PC version, but this looks worse than games that came out five years ago. It's not an open world game like Skyrim, so it doesn't have the excuse of bigness. And believe me, it's not big. Definitely the most annoying part of the game, if not the worst, is the fact that you will spend a solid majority of your time running back and forth around the same, small areas of generic, small maps. This is largely due to the positively unhelpful overworld map you are given. It just straight up does not give you an accurate picture of what's up. But it's also because the level design is plain banal. The world made by CD Projekt is a pain to be in.

Besides this, the gameplay is crap. It's just not fun. It's like a half-assed version of Assassin's Creed or Dark Souls gameplay. It's overly simplistic, button mashing, and boring. That it's this weak and generic is puzzling considering that 'deep tactical gameplay' was often a praised, even when it's not present.

But the biggest sin performed by The Witcher 2 is it's stupid, stupid story. The writing and characters completely fail to pull you in, and the world they illustrate is too unoriginal to be called generic. The main plot follows Geralt, who is a stand-in for every greasy, pale loser who ever wished he could score, as he follows a trail of murders and political intrigue, somehow unable to convey any depth of either the main character or the events that surround him. It's not even close to "dark" or "mature". Really, nothing about the game is. I guess some people were too distracted by the blood and naked women to notice.
  9. Apr 30, 2013
    One of the worst games I have every played There is nothing really good about this game apart from somewhat interesting characters and some sex scenes. But there is a tone of bad things about this game. The map is terrible and confusing to follow selling items at the shop is you will sell like 50 items and get about 1 or 2 money out of it, the combat is bad rolling and blocking sucks as it takes about 5 secs and buy the time you have done that the enemies have hit you, there is no variety in weapons just two swords no bows,hammers,staffs ect....
    The world is crap,no fast travel you have to climb up and down rock and there is no exploring just a one path world. The story is boring and the side quests are and there are a fear few bugs plus the graphics are not that good and bad to look at.

Overall this game is and boring and one of the worst games I have every seen and played.
  10. Apr 15, 2013
    Amazing start but after the prologue the game goes down hill. More accurately it plumets off a cliff. The reason being, EVERY side quest is bugged or broken. A wonderful game just becomes tremendously frustrating. Your left wandering aimlessly for hours because there are no quest markers or the game won't register. Too bad.
  11. Jan 16, 2013
    The Witcher 2 was the game I most waited for in 2012 and it has been revelead as the great deception of 2012. This game is hollow, boring combat system, characters with no charism, stupid levelling system (which it doesnt matter how much you fight, you'll only level up with quests). It was a really pain in the ass to finish this game and I got rid of it fast enough.
  12. Jun 14, 2012
    Absolutely atrocious. Doesn't live up to the hype, not by a long shot. Okay, after seeing the visually stunning and intriguing trailer aired for this game and reading the overwhelmingly positive reviews, I was very excited to pick this game up and dive in. I don't think I could have been more disappointed. First off, the stunning visuals displayed in the trailer were replaced by "pretty good" visuals in the game itself.
    When being compared to other games of this generation I give it's visuals a 7 out of 10. Actually, to be entirely honest with you I thought this was the game's strongest point. That was the first thing I noticed. Then came the control mechanics. Which to put it lightly where awkward and confusing with no natural flow and ease of use. The menus were even worse. For every minute spent in-game another three were spent in the terribly difficult and slow to navigate menus. But let us step away from the quickly frustrating controls and menus before I go into a fit of maniacal rage on the subject. (We'll save that for later.)

On now to the choppy, absolutely unnatural, and unimaginative dialog. I mean come on! I've seen more imaginative exchanges in episodes The Telitubbies! And they don't even use complete sentences! To be honest I wish I would have picked up a non-English version. I probably would've gotten more out of it!

After about 3 hours of hoping that the awesomeness that everyone was raving about was going to reveal itself, I couldn't take anymore abuse. I felt that blood pressure had doubled and my IQ had been halved. I'd had enough. It was with the excitement of someone that's found a dead rat in their home that I removed the disk from my console. I'm still sick about the $60 and 3 hours of my life that I'll never get back because of this disappointment. All in all, if Atari would have put half the vision and effort into the game as they did into the trailer they may have had something. And that's all I've got to say about that.
  13. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is a shame to programmers ! Yes, it has fantastic graphics, animations and story line. But they forgot the basics : YOU CANNOT RELEASE A GAME SO FULL OF BUGS.
    I finished the tutorial, prologue and little bit of the first chapter and already had 2 (!) crashes, 1 killing animation that was out of context (the background has changed, dead people lived etc.) and many small
    irritating UI bugs (jumping mouse, too insensitive mouse etc).
    I loved the first game and hoped the second one will also be so great but had a disappointment. The special effects and graphics cannot cover for the terrible bugs
  14. Jan 2, 2014
    TERRIBLE CONTROLS, REPETITIVE COMBAT...

...Many people are suggesting that the Witcher offers subtle, layered gameplay that's complex, tactical and realistic. In reality the controls are infuriating and unpredictable. You will spend most of your time rolling around in elaborate semi-circles on the ground like some drug-crazed loon with a big sword strapped to your back. If you want a
    game that simulates epileptic fits then the Witcher may be for you. The lock-on mechanic will get you killed the Witcher cannot strafe, he cannot side-step a foe. He does roll though, and that's about it. Anyone who's used to the fluid, natural sword-play of a Zelda game or even Prince of Persia will be left reeling and yes, I know those games are easier but they play well and that's the point.

There is real ambition in the story-telling and the cut-scenes dramatic talking heads that easily rival Mass Effect but the play is in the controls and they are distinctly rubbish. Save your money, the Witcher 2 is a huge disappointment.
  15. Aug 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I want to make this clear: I am not writing this review to troll or to be unique or edgy (since this is considered an amazing game). This is truly my opinion, and my opinion is that this is an over-rated game in every regard.

The combat is boring, and it mostly just resorts to button mashing. There are no reasons to use your silver sword, as both your weapons deal pretty much the same damage even to monsters. There are also massive difficulty spikes that are simply unfair and punishing.

I do not understand why the story has gotten so much praise. It pretty much just boils down to trying to find a guy that kills kings, while also trying to save your kidnapped girlfriend. In between, you have sex a lot. Some NPCs are put into the game for the soul purpose of providing a sex scene.

There is one scene in the game where you fall into a tomb with Triss, your girlfriend. You say that she needs a bath, and proceed to have a 5 minute long sex scene. Also, why do you have so much sex with other women when you always proclaim that you love Triss and will stop at nothing to get her back?

Also, why am I supposed to care if King Foltest is assassinated? I've been with that character for 20 minutes for the prologue, and then he dies. He was the motivation for chasing down the kingslayer, but I have absolutely no emotional attachment to him. It's hard to care about a story when you're unattached to what's going on in said story.

There are some moments of greatness in this game in which the game shows that it could actually start ramping up, perhaps becoming exciting. The prologue for instance was one of the best levels in any game I've seen. It's too bad that that level was squandered because the rest of the game is so boring and offers little in the way of rewards.

In conclusion, I believe that this game might be among the most overrated games of our generation. I simply don't get it. I don't understand how this game has garnered critical acclaim, but I respect that people enjoy it. This game is just not for me perhaps.
  16. Oct 1, 2013
    Although i started playing this game with a lot of enthusiasm it really didn't deliver the experience i thought it would give.

Lot's of cut-scenes, loads upon loads of dialogue, a good share of technical issues, a horrible in game menu, a frustrating map system, all wrapped up in a very boring and uninteresting story to say the least...

Don't buy this game, it's a waste of both your
    money and your time. Expand
  17. Feb 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a warning to anyone that may be on the fence about buying this game. ITs not as good as the reviewers are making it out to be. The story is very confusing ( I guess playing the first would help, but then I guess they should have released the first one too). The combat is a terrible mess and it will cause you to die a lot. I don't mind dying( I am a big fan of Dark Souls), but this combat system seems broken. The menus are also some of the worst I have ever seen in a game. I didn't know how half of the things worked. And the "mature" content that everyone is talking about seems pretty damn juvenile to me. I mean, is **** and asses on the **** screen what goes for mature story telling nowadays? I would certainly hope not.

I mean, was the constant nudity really necessary? It just seemed like the same **** "shock" techniques that Rockstar uses to make their **** games seem good. Its just a ploy to get low-minded people interested in or sorry game. "Hey look, this game as T&A in it! Its so **** mature, we are really acting like adults by playing this!" It really goes to show how stupid people have really become. A game need only to have a complex story and interesting character to be mature, not bloody T&A!

Oh, and one more thing, the quest layout is broken. I lost all my progress, when I went to a boss fight, and lost because I hadn't got some stupid trap. Why the **** couldn't they just tell me to get the trap first. I mean, Skyrim tells you the order things need top be done in. And I am not talking about holding my hand( like I said, I am a fan of Dark Souls), but don't stab me in the damn back either.

Well, that's all I got to say. I raged quit soon after losing to that boss and haven't played since. If my words haven't detoured you, at least rent first. It will make taking it back a lot easier. =/
  18. Dec 27, 2013
    What a waste of money! I've never wanted to throw a game in the garbage before! Luckily I only paid $30. But that is still way too much money for this piece of crap! I gave it a 1 for the sole reason that it actually booted up!

1. Jul 13, 2012
    Witcher 2 is a throwback in a lot of ways to old PC games, which certainly appeals to me. The delivery method is modern, no doubt, but the fact there's a lot of poking and prodding (and death) that happens even early on has me anxious for another instalment.
  2. Jun 26, 2012
    The high bar of visuals is followed by a good score, and descent acting, some of the spell and combat audio has a edge to it that sounds lower quality then the rest of the audio landscape.
  3. Jun 17, 2012
    The Xbox 360 port is an impressive technical accomplishment that brings a classic PC RPG experience to a new audience. The transition is not flawless, but those who stick with it will be rewarded with an intriguing and entertaining experience.