8.4

1. May 5, 2012
    I am a huge RPG fan, I love the genre and want to see all the different paths it takes so when I first heard about The Witcher 2 and the praise it was receiving I wanted to play it, the problem? I don't have a PC that can play games like that so I was sadly left out, but they thankfully made this console port, but I have to say I am disappointed with what The Witcher 2 had to offer, don't get me wrong it's a good game and I had fun playing through it, it's got solid and challenging combat (well, until you level up, then it becomes easy), deep choices that effect everything in the story, where you go, who you see, and what you do. And it's an experience aimed not only at the most mature audiences (seriously parents, keep you kids as far away as possible), but also an experience that is aimed at the most hardcore of RPG players. But when I compare this game to others RPG's I've played it doesn't stack up to it's hefty competition in the gameplay department, the combat is smooth for the most part but there are some issues with the lock on system and at times the camera, each chapter has it's own location that your going to have to explore in order to complete quests, but there design is so awful you'll often find yourself getting lost in the maze like location filled with dead ends with the almost 100% useless map, I encountered one or two almost quest breaking glitches (luckily I found my way around the glitches or the game managed to fix itself after a bit), and the story is hampered by passable to downright poor voice acting, and speaking of things hampering the story Geralt is for the most part unlikable, his friend range from good to great but he's just ok, the graphics hold up well but they're far from the best, and it's just not as much fun to play as other RPG's. I did have fun with it and want to see where they take the Witcher series from here and how the series story ultimately concludes. I recommend it to people who have either been curious about it or are looking for a more hardcore RPG, but I was ultimately disappointed with it. It's good but not great and will only click with a certain audience, but it's far from the worst out there. Expand
  2. Feb 1, 2013
    For an independent developer this is really a surprisingly good RPG. This is perhaps the only game I can put almost on par with Dragon Age. Graphically it is utterly gorgeous. Combat is fun, but also (relatively) realistic and not just a random button masher. The lore is also pretty engaging and it is nice that they finally release an RPG that is aimed at adults. It is told with an adult audience in mind (not just the mature content.) Perhaps my only real criticism is that it is over too soon. I wish it had been a bit longer as it really does a fantastic job of pulling you in and immersing you in the world. I'm not saying the game is short, it's not. I also really loved the fact that the choices you make really do have different outcomes and progress the game in an almost completely different direction. At one point it almost felt like 2 different stories. Overall a fantastic game and I really hope they continue with this series. Expand
  3. Apr 17, 2012
    I remember when I play the PC version of The Witcher, I love the game, after when I hear about a version of Xbox 360 I´m feeling happy. This version is excellent, have some mistakes. The gameplay is excellent, awesome, the controls, the graphics, all. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings- Enchanced Edition (large name), is awesome.
  4. Mar 18, 2013
    Drastically revamping my score but I don't feel bad about my original score because it simply took too much time and effort to get into this. And there are an amazing amount of small frustrations. It's wierd really, for a game of this quality.
  5. Apr 17, 2012
    "The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings" is an Action-RPG with a dense plot and faster action, but that needs to be planned, addressing several controversial issues and complex gameplay, that have various levels of customization.

Many people likes to compare the game to another RPG, Skyrim, but that doesn't apply, because they are different genres of RPG (although I like more the freedom of
    the first), this game would be more comparable with Dragon Age I / II style, to who does not know the game (I did not know it before).

The opening it is very bloody and with great graphics, and in the gameplay this realistic look is maintained... I just noticed that in some transitions, or in some textures of distant elements / effects, sometimes we see some pixels while the game get a visual focus, but nothing to worry about.

I wish that we had some minor details: when playing, you have virtual boundaries of the scenarios, for example fumbling the plants (they are static), or the mouth of the NPC scenario moving when that talk, but, as I said, they are minor things that hopefully can clean up a fix. In general, all the graphics in most cut-scenes use the game engine, and are very realistic.

The songs are epic orchestrated, well suited to the game, and without any criticism - do the dubbing, which is perfectly well acted, and the main dialogs all have voices.

Just noticed that sometimes varying the position of the camera, the characters voices are weaker (like a distance effect) or suffer interference from other local sounds (eg wind), which makes it temporarily too low - which does not cease to be realistic, but sometimes annoying.

Get ready for complex dialogs, because the story itself is based on books: there is much to read, and discover the main quest and side- quests, and there is blood, sex and violence in the script!

At this point it surpasses from far the "shock" images / themes of Dragon Age as well: here is something much more explicit, either in blood or in the nude scenes (which is total, showing almost all in the womens).

In the main Gameplay there four difficulties: Easy, Normal, Hard and Dark, and because of the variety of strategies to use, to defeat and survive your enemies, together with the controls with multiple functions, Witcher 2 can be a more challenging game to some people.

The combat is pretty cool: pure action, you switch between two classes of swords, the silver (monsters in general) and steel (humans in general), which have hard and fast strokes, which must be balanced according to the enemy attack, having also the block, dodging and preemptive strikes.

Also, in the core of the combat is the use of your character's spells (magic is explained in the plot, because they are able to use her mutant), which have various categories such as domination, fire, stun, a great variety! The use of spells before and during the combat is essential to survive and plan your combat strategies.

In addition we have also a Skill tree that extends to four sides, each one of a kind, between numerous classes of Skills. In your Main Menus, you can develop armor, and see the extensive details that the game gave, in the description and background of almost everything in the game, and in the Meditation Menu, you can do more actions, like alchemy to create potions.

In sum, these game have a gameplay that just blends fast action and strategy in the right dose, with great and realistic graphics, audio and a well developed story - more than recommended to the ones who like a serious RPG. My score: 9,0 / 10,0 .
  6. Apr 19, 2012
    A very good rpg with very welcome mature themes.Despite the fact that this version is filled with minor tech issues,it's amazing that it even works on the aging hardware at all and indeed looks good most of the time.For a story driven rpg,the plot is decent but comes in fits and starts and is hardly a masterpiece.Geralt was the only character I felt anything for and that wasn't much at all really.While the loot is pretty dull throughout,the crafting and alchemy are quite good as is the combat .A step back for me is the linearity of the game.After Skyrim,each rpg I've played has felt constrained and though The Witcher series is good,especially its themes and intricacies,it can't approach the majesty of Skyrim and it's open world. Expand
  7. May 7, 2012
    The first thing that struck me about the Witcher 2 was the complex menu system. I wasn't too surprised in the beginning considering that every new RPG that I've played took a little getting use to before accessing the menu to become second nature, but with this game I was still turned around trying to navigate my way through the inventory, journals and potion making right to the very end of the game. The menu looks like it still accommadates a mouse rather than a controller. That's really the biggest issue I have with the game. I liked the combat as it reminded me of Fable's speed and flourishing and not the usual weightless fighting that most other RPG's display. The story was one of the best that I have had the privilege to play out, although it did seem rather short. Being an RPG veteran, I usually know how to manage sidequests to get the full playability of a game. But in this one I seemed to stumble upon the mainquest unintentionally, thereby, locking my sidequest out and moving on to the next chapter. After playing it once through, I feel I can go back and stay away from the mainquest in order to experience the full game, but I would have preferred to have done that in the first play through. I don't need to say anything about how great the artwork and graphics are in this game because its screen shots speak for themselves. The voice acting is topnotch even for the minor characters and nondescript townspeople in the game. I appreciate the obvious care and effort the developers put into this game and feel all companies should reach this standard the CDprojeckt has shown. Too bad this game didn't have a censor option to avoid the gratuitous vulgarity and nudity because I was limited to certain times to play this game for the reason I have small children in the house. Very good game but it didn't leave me blown away like I thought it was going to. Expand
  8. Aug 17, 2012
    Ah yes, The Witcher 2. A game I had on my radar for so long. Looking for something to kill time with I decided to rent this game. Wow what a waste of time it was. Where to start? Having never played the first witcher I didn't really understand what was going on and you really aren't given much of an explanation about anything only that your witcher Geralt lost his memory. The main plot in the game aside from that is to find a kingslayer so you can clear your name. Now this isn't where I find my problems with the witcher 2. In fact the way the story, voice acting and character models and clothing are great. The problem I have is the boring gameplay. Combat system is sub par and just below mediocre. It's not fun. It may very well be one of the worst combat systems in a video game this gen. I found myself attacking walls randomly during combat even though I clearly have a marker on the enemies this stems from a beyond poor hit detection. It's really just mashing the A and X buttons. Magic is fine, but traps are absolutely worthless. These unfortunate circumstances add a level of difficulty to the game as well which some people may find a good thing, however I find it a problem with the game mechanics. Speaking of which I also thought my xbox controller was broke at times because even doing things like climbing up and climbing down rocks took a few extra taps of A to go down. Even in combat sometimes I would find myself getting killed because I couldn't draw my sword unless I kept pressing the left or right d-pad. Huh? My controller works fine with other games on the 360. Seems to be a problem with TW2. The menus in the game are a nightmare as well, an absolute mess. Right when I started the tutorial seeing the menu I was just overwhelmed. Not only is it a total disaster but I also found it to be laggy and slow and with the amount of options in each category, especially your items. It can become irritatingly frustrating. This is by far the most cluttered menu system EVER. On to the side-quests. What a joke. No explanation on how to complete quests? No markers on your mini map to tell you who to talk to or what to do? You have to figure things out by yourself? Not since aeons ago have I seen a game provide as little information as possible for you to complete your objective. I understand some people like to figure things out on their own but when you put something like this, in a game where there way too many people you could possibly talk to. It just gets out of hand and makes side-quests and even some main quests more frustrating and downright boring. It had gotten to the point where I stopped doing side-quests because I was not interested in pulling up an online guide anymore. I shouldn't have to do that if I don't want to. In addition to the level of frustration the areas are poorly designed. Every area feels like a maze. Towns and dungeons alike. IN this sense even a map does not help. I don't want to get into this much more. I know people love this game but this is just me stating my experience. This game was boring to me. The broke mechanics and in addition the cluttered menus, poor quest system became too much. Who cares if thats what a witcher does? I play games to have fun not to do extra work. This is a love or hate game apparently and I'm on the side that hate it. I'm giving it a 5 because I like the style and the voice acting. It loses points from me because of the broke mechanics and poor gameplay. I'm assuming the PC version is a lot better because this game just feels like a bad port or something. Expand
  9. May 29, 2012
    Despite the fact this game came out with little fanfare,make no mistake,this is a top tier game! In fact its easily among the best RPG's ever made.It has such a rich world in the game,but then it is based on the novels.The game has a good story along with your usual side quests you get in RPG's.Like Skyrim,the game has a very deep character customisation system that you will have to work at for a long time to get anywhere on,but becomes so satisfying when your character starts to become more & more deadly as a result.Unlike most RPG's the enemys dont annoyingly level up with you,so you really start to feel the benefits of leveling up & getting more skills,but you'll still run into newer tougher enemies later on.Its satisfying though when you start beating enemies quite easily that were quite difficult earlier on in the game.Its a good basis for comparison for how your character is actually coming on.The game has dialog choices that can effect the story,but the real star of the show,suprisingly for this kind of game,is the combat.I cant stress enough how satisfying the combat IS in this game,parltly due to the satisfying melee combat,but also all the options open to you in combat.The combat is very reminiscent of Jade Empire & Assassins Creed,which anyone who's played those games will know,have excellent combat.It involves a very considered,tactical pace that requires you to be aware of where you are,whats around you,& where all the enemies are,as you move around,using your blocking & carefully timing your attacks & counter attacks(with various types of weapon,but you also have your silver sword to swith to & use for those monster class enemies).But thats just the melee combat.I mentioned that theres many other aspects in combat.In combat.Before combat,a Witcher(which is what you are,part of an elite guild of proffessional monster hunters thats been mutated & trained to fight monsters since you were a child)often prepares before beforehand.You can boost your stats up in various areas for quite some time by mixing(or buying)& drinking potions,putting oils & poisions on your weapons,& in combat itself,you have a wide array of tools at your disposal.On top of your standard attacks,you have traps & bombs that you can put on the ground/throw(which are easier to use than it sounds),ranged weapons & throwing daggers,special melee moves & a good selection of spells to employ,as as making enemies attack eachother,set them on fire,stun them allowing you to use cool execution moves,to spells of protection.Make no mistake,Witchers are very capable,& with all these options open to you in combat,it never gets old,trust me.
    If you've ever played a game,that is a long game,but also has combat that plays like an absolute dream,games like Mass Effect or Jade Empire,then you'll have an idea of the kind of game this is.The kind of game that you're glad is a long game,because you dont want it to end.This is one of those games.This game is highly polished & is RPG & combat system perfection,with a good story to boot,Hence my perfect 10.
  10. Aug 29, 2013
    Quick, re-review. Great game, but takes some getting into and hard work to get to the nitty gritty goodness. Buy it and follow my advice to enjoy it the most - 1) When answering questions in the Dungeon about what happened do it in order, from top to bottom. Otherwise you play out the prologue in an order which makes no sense and throws you for the rest of the game. 2) You get the choice of two paths, without doubt one is far more interesting than the other IMO so create a save before you make this choice (it's towards the end of chapter one and *minor spoiler* it's when you choose between an elf or a King's bodyguard), and don't be afraid to restart from that save if you find the path you chose boring.

3) If you get to the end of Chapter 1 and things aren't making sense, quit, take a breather for a few days/weeks, and start the game again understanding all the terminology/people/events goes a long way to making the game enjoyable.
  11. Jun 20, 2012
    Saliva of the best transition for the Xbox from your PC! But we need an open map! And modify the development of character! And need to be on all devices in the near future! The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings best game 2012 on xbox 360 >>> :)
  12. May 9, 2012
    Very disappointing game. By and large you play the game on rails, you can wander a bit around the location you're currently in, but thats it. An example would be in a wood, where you can't leave the predefined paths - you may be the mighty witcher, but you cant cross a small bush to a path you can see just the other side of it, you have to wind your way around the predefind paths. Hope you're psychic too, because the potions you need for combat you have to take before you even know a combat encounter is coming. Expect to lose a fight, restart, take your potions then fight all over again. Frustrating and spoils the flow of the game. You'll need some ear plugs too, because there is loads and loads and loads of unecessary swearing. It may give the teens a giggle, but it starts to feel like the spongebob 'spicy language' episode after a while and just gets tedious and faintly ridiculous. Expect lots of americanisms in the broadly british voice acting. Lost of good welsh, scots, irish and english voiceovers, but hearing them say words like "holler'ing" instead of "shouting" just spoils the medieval atmosphere completely. Oh and don't worry, the hero has an american accent. Bottom line, I sold this game just three days (and about 5 hours gaming) after buying it. Maybe I was spoilt by Oblivion and Skyrim, but I found I even preferred Divinity to Witcher2. Expand
  13. Oct 11, 2012
    I'll get it out of the way now: it looked amazing! The world was created in a very beautiful way but simultaneously in a way that made it feel real and dark. I was a little concerned with the story line from the beginning but it quickly picked up and became more engaging after escaping the prison with Roche. From a story standpoint I really like the direction they took it and the opening line of **** off" more then set the tone for whose shoes I would be filling and what can of a BAMF I would be. The main characters all seemed to have a immense depth and most of the side characters had rich stories. The lore is absolutely one of the strongpoints in the Witcher. The combat was really a huge shocker for me. After playing FPS, then moving to something like Skyrim, then Batman, I feel like man hands would adapt fair quickly to any control scheme. The button mapping seemed confusing and nonsensical during the early hours but after getting used to the challenge became the combat. I wouldn't go so far as to argue that the combat was difficult, but it did take some getting-used-to. It seemed like the combat would have been easier if I knew about the crafting or if that was stressed as the way to go about playing. Along with crafting I never touched throwing knives, traps, or bombs. There is an insane amount of random useless objects in this game and I felt like the loot was pretty useless. Killing people never really brought great loot and was only really an ends to a mean. That being said, getting into fights was sweet because it required that you actually think about the fighting and your position. The array of NPC species was really outstanding and I felt as if I was running into a species every 30 minutes or less and every couple of minutes I would see a character I had never seen before. They really did use a lot of unique resources and it helped a lot with immersion. Everything felt like it was done right and not rushed, and I appreciate that they did not try to make the world extremely huge and instead focused on making a small area really great. Overall the quality of this game is top notch through and through and is definitely something that I will jump back into later on down the road to try the completely different story path. Expand
  14. Apr 18, 2012
    This game is Awesome everything about it is just amazing from the stunning graphics to the smooth gameplay. The Witcher 2 for me is one of the best Xbox 360 game's of all time. This is a must buy for everyone who loves playing RPG's this game is of the hook.
  15. Apr 19, 2012
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a very, very good RPG. Its world is especially unique to explore; it's a world that is filled with amnesty, intensity, radicalism and violence. But it is also a very lovable world, as it is filled with some of the best characters in any fantasy RPG. If Mass Effect is the king of Sci Fi characters, the Witcher 2 is the king of fantasy characters. The combat is also very refreshing; it's very tactical and very strategic, and one wrong move can make or break a battle. It keeps you on the edge of your seat constantly. The side quests, any fundamental part of an RPG, are probably the best out of any RPG I've played on the 360. They're meaty, quite long and moderately difficult mini-stories packed into a bite size chunk. And they are all very well done. The Witcher also sports some of the best eye candy on the Xbox 360; even though there are some framerate hiccups here and there, The Witcher 2 really looks positively unique and beautiful. The reason for an 8.5? The Witcher 2 is very, very rough around the edges. Common control issues, weird and frequent AI brain farts, and plenty of just random bugs that permeate the experience, both massive and little. And, despite the Witcher 2 only being out for a year now, it is already showing age. Some moments are shockingly archaic; the dragon scene in the prologue, for instance. It is incredible how much this game progresses past so many of its RPG brethren, yet stumbles and falls flat in other areas that games like Skyrim, Dark Souls, and Mass Effect have all done very well. Now, don't worry, The Witcher 2 is still a phenomenal game. It's mature in the sense that the story is about intense relations between kingdoms, and the game doesn't hold your hand to tell the story. You have to make an effort to remember characters and link personalities and such; it's a refreshing way to tell a fantasy story, and it's done really well. I don't care much for the nudity or the cursing because A) you don't have to have sex to make a mature game, without it (or at least conveniently censored) the Wticher would still be wonderful (BTW, for those wondering, you skip any scene with such content by pressing the X button), and B) they didn't really have the profanity that we have today back in the medieval times, which the Witcher tries to replicate. One thing I keep asking myself is why I continue to play the Witcher 2...I play games to escape from reality, especially RPG's, not get caught up in political clout and other problems in a medieval fantasy RPG. But that's just it; The Witcher's world is so finely crafted, it almost seems like a natural parody of our world today. So I must admit, The Witcher 2 is a great, great game. It requires a little more leniency in terms of bugs and glitches, and the mature content almost feels silly to have, especially in a fantasy RPG that tries to tear you away from the real world. Whatever you may think of the content, there's no forgiving a nearly one year old game for being buggy and glitchy. Despite the gripes, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is well worth your time; the story is wonderfully told, the world is totally unique, the combat is stellar, and the game overall is a blessing to finally play. Thanks for the great port! 8.5/10 - rounds up to a 9/10. Expand
  16. Apr 18, 2012
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a Masterpiece. Ported over from PC, this game looks fantastic and plays extremely well. It takes little time to learn the wide array of creative mechanics before you feel comfortable playing like a pro. The engaging, realistic, complex, and mature campaign is gripping and soon you feel lost into the character Geralt. In a sense, you feel like you have become a Witcher. This sense of fitting right in to the character has only been accomplished in a few other games, such as Halo, Gears of War, Mass Effect, and Uncharted. Without a doubt, this is an excellent game with pretty much nothing to whine about. If you don't like playing on PC, then the Witcher 2 is more than enough of a reason to get an Xbox 360 so you can dive in and join the Epic-ness before you miss out! WARNING: this is not a child's game. There is explicit nudity in this game. Expand
  17. Apr 18, 2012
    One of the most beautiful, well crafted, and epic RPG games of this generation. I'm happy Witcher 2 was brought to the Xbox 360 so new gamers can be introduced into the series like me without a high end PC. Witcher 2 looks stunning on Xbox 360 with an extremely stable frame rate, the only issue ive seen with Witcher is some texture pop in. This game is an essential to add to your collection if you are remotely interested in RPGs, The combat is fresh and actually makes you be tactical and think about what your doing, such as placing traps before a battle, putting enhancements on your blades or rolling out of the way of enemy attacks. Plus the game comes with a free copy of the soundtrack, a full color detailed map, and a quest handbook all included with the game free. Expand
  18. Apr 25, 2012
    A fantastic game, great fun and a lot of things that can distract us. An amazing and compelling story with a good soundtrack and voice over. Although the map also be more irritating than one property is a relatively precise and the set of all this allows the creation of a good game.
  19. Apr 1, 2014
    this is my opinion, doesn't necessarily mean its true but here's what i experienced. Pros: -Great visuals with nice textures. - good voice acting. - choices that really matter. - robust gameplay, that is tactical and requires skill. - good characters, and a good story. Cons: - Story is hard to follow. - background noises in towns are repetitive. - clunky menus, can actually make you want to quit playing.
    - Semi open world not fully like far cry or skyrim, which is what i prefer.
    - movement feels weird both in combat and out.
    - pacing issues.
    - no sense of impact when using swordplay.
    - some city areas have too much shadows and its a bit hard to see at times.
  20. Apr 17, 2012
    Just want to start out by saying I have played BOTH the PC and Console versions of the game, will not be giving it either a 0 or a 10 like most on here, and do not work for WB. I am just a lonely podcaster (LIQUID GAMER) trying to let you know what I thought of this game on console. First off the good, game play worked well with the controller, I was worried about that. Besides a few misses the graphics are slightly dumb'ed down than its PC counterpart, still colorful and well executed. And the story is and will continue to be excellent and intriguing. Unlike other RPG's the choices you make matter more than just giving you horns or orange scratches on your skin. They will adjust the story and the way things in the world play out. So choose wisely and enjoy it! Now for the not so good... Audio is a big part of gaming in my point of view, even though the score is great the voice acting and recording quality from that voice acting is horrible. Some moments felt as if the voice actors called in the lines over a land line to a cassette tape and then digitized for the game. Very noticeable and very bad. The game was glitchy but most games are now a days so I didn't mind it that much. So that's it, great game all in all, worth ownership due to length and involvement, but not work a 10 and totally not a 0. Good Gaming! http://liquidgamer.podbean.com/ Expand
  21. Nov 14, 2012
    I am not gonna completely slam this game since it is obviously not for me. I am not a big RPG gamer and got bored with this game only a few hours in. At the same time how long do you have to play a game before deciding it isn't your thing? 2 hours? 10 hours? I don't know. I guess for RPG's you have to give it a little more leeway. I do not hate the game. It just isn't for me. If you are not an RPG fan or maybe something like Mass Effect is about as RPG as you wanna get than this game is not gonna be for you. I am sure there are people who love it and for those people this thing is probably a Godsend, especially on the RPG starved 360. I am more of an instant action gamer so I can pass this by without ever playing it again. Still, I don't think a bad score is something it deserves. I tried it and it isn't for me. Doesn't make it a bad game. Expand
  22. Apr 21, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is a very impressive and detailed RPG. They clearly took their time converting it from the PC to the Xbox360. It controls very well and the world and story is very detailed. The game is also very unforgiving and doesn't hold your hand. Don't take that as a negative but as a positive. I feel these days many RPGs let you carve through everything with little challenge. The Witcher provides a challenge and makes you prepare beforehand for battles. My only criticism is that the mini map is occasionally hard to follow and the world is detailed to the point where the story can be a bit confusing. But overall the game has a fantastic story, great combat, and Geralt is the ultimate bad ass! Expand
  23. Apr 19, 2012
    I was so excited for this game; I was so jealous of PC gamers because the game just looked perfect. Now, as I play it, I realized how amazing and mature the game really is. The storyline is ambitious and it sucks you into the role of the Witcher. Your choices actually make a huge difference. The combat is fun, and there's a lot of... well, sex. A LOT.
  24. Apr 18, 2012
    just logged in to support this games rating. I am a pc gamer, would never play it on deadbox, however, this game deserves all the praise it gets. It is by far my favorite pc game in the last few years and one of the best looking games ever made. Those of you giving it a zero must either be bioware employees or butt hurt fanboys from COD who cant understand the complex mature story line as well as the amazing choice system where bioware DOESN'T EVEN HOLD A CANDLE TO. This game on PC is amazing and i am happy for you console owners that get to experience it. We get dark souls, you get withcer 2, fair trade if you ask me. Go with iorveth! he is boss! Expand
  25. Apr 20, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is a superb RPG with a deep and meticulous world and story marred by many interface annoyances and a so-so combat system. GOOD: The story in Witcher 2 is beautifully detailed with a hefty amount of backstory provided for both the world and characters; For the most part, the graphics are superb and create a wonderfully believable world; Crafting mechanics and levelling system are deep and variable allowing for non-linear character progression; Most of the combat mechanics are fun to use and taking out foes is very satisfying; Music is fitting and voice track is nicely done; Morally ambiguous choices in the story flesh out a relatively linear story; Mature themes are mostly handled well and it's refreshing to see a story devoid of the good versus evil cliches; Signs are fun to use and allow for some interesting tactics against certain enemies. BAD: Menu systems are unintuitive and there's some strange sensitivity issues with using the control stick to navigate them (sometimes leading you to choosing a wrong dialogue option or accidentally selling something important); The environments are awash with muddy textures that can diminish the beauty of the game; Sometimes dialogue between characters is insanely quiet leading you to miss important pieces of information (this cannot be remedied by switching off the music strangely); Swordplay can be quite inaccurate at times leading to quick unnecessary deaths where sword blows don't connect; Controls are a little over-fiddly at times leading to some weird finger-crossing on the controller; Enemy hit-boxes are confusing leading to too much trial and error with certain enemies; QTEs for fist fights are boring and completely unchallenging; Mission/quest log doesn't always update correctly and it's confusing having 3 separate entries for the exact same quest leading to an overly cluttered interface. OVERALL: A superb RPG with some of the best story telling I've ever seen, with interesting choices and fleshed out characters let down by some lacklustre gameplay in parts and some niggling menu problems. However, the game is far better than Witcher 1 and improves upon on it in so many ways that I have really high hopes that Witcher 3 will truly be outstanding. Expand
  26. Apr 25, 2012
    Witcher 2 is one powerfully overrated game. Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, even Kingdoms of Amular are far more worthy of your money. I always thought I was an RPG junky, but this game I just can't get behind. I am console only gamer, so maybe if I sat around and played computer games, and then bought this for my console I'd be blown away. As someone completely new to the game, I can't get behind this game.

The biggest flaw is the clunky-ness of the menus. Dreadful. Moving around is a bit of a chore too. Storywise I wanted to like Witcher 2, but whenever things start to get interesting you're once again stuck slogging through a very uninteresting world, that's not very pretty and difficult to navigate. Skip this game.
  27. Apr 26, 2012
    As a long-time RPG fan and medieval/fantasy buff, I really wanted to like this game. The characters, dialogue and story was all top notch, but what let it down for me was the feeling that it was made by a bunch of amateurs. Little things like the pain in the arse map, ugly way of using the inventory and of course, the auto-saves (or lack there of), all felt a little outdated and uninspired. I can't help but feel that if the game was made by different people, but with the same writers, then it'd have turned out much better. Unfortunately, it just felt a little too tedious most of the time and far from fun - despite some brilliant heart-pounding sequences. Fanboys will boast superiority for playing an "adults" game - of course because it has a little boob and bad language from time-to-time. I will admit it feels good to play something a little more complex and "adult" than the lackluster, follow-the-breadcrumb RPG's of recent times, but it could of been so much better. Even the lengthy tutorial hindered how the game could of started. Instead of being thrown into the action and learning along the way (which would have immediately immersed you in the story), you had to spend 10-20 minutes following a laborious tutorial. A 6 is the best I can give it without being too generous. It needs to be made by someone else, or developed into a novel - which I would definitely buy! Expand
  28. Jul 5, 2013
    the witcher 2 is a amazing RPG. the graphics are amazing, sometimes even jaw dropping. the scenery and environments are absolutely beautiful. the environments are gorgeous. I could not stop staring at some of the scenery in this game. combat is difficult which forces you to use strategy and tactics. though the game could use some improvements, overall the witcher 2 is a amazing game.
  29. May 22, 2012
    An incredible RPG that felt different, apparently hard to do these days. For those expecting open world, don't. For those expecting new game +, don't. If you have a bit of time to learn the combat, I played through on easy first playthrough then Dark difficulty, give it a try. Buy it, rent it, steal it.
  30. May 14, 2013
    Fantastic game. One of the best RPG experiences iv ever had. If your looking for something deep, mature, and engrossing, this is a must. Great storytelling, great characters, great combat with some tactical parts to it, great world. 10/10 from me.
  31. May 31, 2012
    The Witcher has finally arrived on consoles, and what great game! ... I have played both witchers on the pc and I loved every bit of it. So, basicly, as a witcher fan, I gave it a try on the xbox 360... and god, they actually pulled it off. ... POSITIVES: - Fluent but challenging combat. - Potion-system (prepare for battle in different ways) - Great story and characters. - Crafting system. - Lore and locations. - Different ways to finish quests and the main story. - New tutorial system! ... NEGATIVES: - A few graphical hickups. Not many customisations character-wise (look) ... CONCLUSION: - The Witcher 2 on the xbox 360 is a great game. From combat that's entertaining and rewarding, to the complexity but interesting world that shapes according to the choices you make. ... Superb. Expand
  32. May 6, 2012
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings took a leap and set out to make an adventure not only worth of every RPG lover's while, but every fast action packed sword play admirers. With solid non-linear story telling, unique sword play and fluid controls, astonishing original sound track and amazingly rendered backgrounds and memorable characters and dialog choices, it is truly a game of excellent and genuine role playing experience. Expand
  33. May 22, 2012
    Great story, beautiful graphics, interesting but complex gameplay, what more can you want from The Witcher 2? Just get this amazing rpg, there is so much too do...
  34. Apr 20, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is the most amazing rpg I've played since the Mass Effect series*and that's saying allot*at first I wasn't sure how this game would hold up on a 7 year old console,but i'm really impressed by how well this game was done on xbox360.I have to say that the Witcher2 is Not and I mean NOT meant for ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18!!!this game has a mature story line and allot of graphic frontal nudity as well as sex and violence that pushes the limit of the Mature rating from the e.s.r.b rating board.with that said I do have a few complaints, like sometimes you will get screen tearing*which can be reduced by playing in 720p instead of 1080p*also sometimes you will get a random bug that turns you're screen black for a split second and then goes back to normal.besides those few flaws this game is a piece of art, even better than Skyrim.if you love a good adventure/rpg game this is a must buy. Expand
  35. Jan 22, 2013
    Phenomenal game with a wonderful story and top-notch voice acting. I can't recommend it enough....with one warning - it has some absurdly awkward & unnecessary CG nudity & sex. Thats the only reason I've deducted a point and if the game had been released without the ridiculous CG boob-jiggling doggy -style action it'd be an easy 10 out of 10.
  36. Feb 12, 2013
    The Witcher 2 is a fantastic RPG. The combat system is a little awkward, but this awkwardness disapears after the prologue (which is my only real problem due to the fact the prologue seems to be the hardest point in the game). One your used to it, the combat system rarely is a problem. The leveling system is very simple, but gives the player enough customization without too much complexity. The story and writing is magnificent. And no, the story is not mature because there is tons of swearing and nudity. It is mature because it actually is mature. People saying its not actually mature just don't realise the people who swear like a dum 14 year old are supposed to be extremely stupid mercenaries. The game also throws lots of major story affecting choices that are the really good type of choice of "Every option to choose is bad, just in a different way" which games like Mass Effect 2 did sometimes and the lack of those kind of choices is what ruined games like the Fable series. The game has extremely bad scaling on its difficulty tho, early on the game is insane, while later on the game becomes pretty easy with random spikes. The graphics for console are pretty damn good, although if you don't install the game, the load times a bit annoying and the texture pop in is silly bad. These are both fixed when you install the game with load times of about 4 seconds and barely noticable pop in. There is also a strange fade to black when switching menus in the menu system, which seems to serve no purpose aside from a effect (its on PC as well, so it cant be due to slow loading) and simply slow down the menus. The loot system is both good and bad, its good you can just run through and loot 15 containers in 5 seconds, its bad you end up not seeing what you picked up and encumbering yourself. But in the end, this is a great game with a few minor flaws that I highly recommend. Expand
  37. Apr 15, 2013
    Amazing start but after the prologue the game goes down hill. More accurately it plumets off a cliff. The reason being, EVERY side quest is bugged or broken. A wonderful game just becomes tremendously frustrating. Your left wandering aimlessly for hours because there are no quest markers or the game won't register. Too bad.
  38. Apr 18, 2012
    There's something special about a game that looks you in the eye and bluntly states "what's the matter?, I thought you were good at video games." The Witcher 2 probably won't appeal to every gamer. The enhanced edition puts to rest some of the **** that gamers who lacked talent were complaining about. You now get a tutorial, and some added tips. One thing I liked about the original release was that the game didn't give that much support to help you in battle, but instead asked you to grow some balls and deal with it. I've noticed a couple glitches still seem to be hanging around with this release (anyone else hit the h key then j to view their journal and got a black screen?).

Suffice it to say this game is amazing, and as far as games go there isn't anyone who can say the developers didn't realize their goal with this games release. The graphics are beautiful the gameplay is immersive, and the story is superb.
  39. Apr 19, 2012
    As I started playing the Witcher 2 I felt I should go through the tutorial as I had not played the original. Going through the tutorial definitely helped me to get the feel for the controls and movements of the characters. Unfortunately while in the tutorial I encountered a glitch. This glitch came when my mission was to throw a bomb at an attacking thug. I simply could not throw the bomb?? I had the bomb equipped, but could not throw it. I sat and tried everything, and read the info box several times. I decided to start over and go through the tutorial again. This time the bombs worked and the tutorial was over. I started the main game and have not experienced further issues, but I am not that far into the game. The graphics are very well done. The game has a great story going into it, and the atmosphere that is created is very well implemented. I am only giving The Witcher an 8 because I believe this game should not have bugs at all. This is a port not a complete rebuild of a game. I do love this game so far and will continue my quest. Thank You for bringing this game to my Xbox 360. Expand
  40. Dec 12, 2012
    This is easily the best RPG today. Period. It does almost everything right and offers a dense and immersive experience for at least 30-40 hours. I loved the mature dialogue style and the freedom of decision in the story line.
  41. Apr 20, 2012
    The best RPG of this generation. The graphics are stunning, the game play excellent and the characters are deep and interesting. The game comes with the soundtrack, map and quest guide. It is an excellent value for a top-notch game. I highly recommand you give it a try.
  42. Apr 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am one of the lucky ones. Even though I had pre-ordered and paid off the Dark Edition, I applied and was chosen as a reviewer. I received my review copy from CD Projekt Red on Mon. the 16th. I ripped open the packaging with all the excitement of a kid on Christmas day. I received the full game, a thank you letter and access to a special ftp site to use in my review. I even took the time to install the game to my hard drive. So by the time I was ready to play, my excitement level was through the roof. Of course I was promptly disappointed. After an amazing new intro scene I was thrust into a tutorial mission. This mission would have been fun if not for the constant, irritating and poorly timed tutorial pop ups. Often times describing the play and controls in a less than optimal fashion. This ended in an ever more typical arena fight that decided the recommended difficulty for the game. Of course I did poorly and it was recommended that I play on easy. Of course I chose to play on normal and went forth to delve into the actual story of the game. Within five minutes I had a better grasp on the controls than the tutorial gave me. Within another 5 minutes I was hooked. While the movement and camera work is a little on the sloppy side, the game as a whole is incredible. The graphics are better than most and honestly at times downright beautiful. The story is deep and immersive. Though at times you might feel a little lost if you didn't play the first game. Especially when you run into characters from the first game who reference things from it. It also doesn't do a great job explaining your memory loss issues that persist from the beginning of the first game. All of these things are minor gripes. There are control issues and glitches as with many other modern games, but nothing game breaking. Nothing even close to the issues from Skyrim. Every issue I have with the game can easily be patched out. Can we get an adjustable camera speed please? Even as it is I love this game. As I'm writing this I can't stop thinking about when I can get back into it. I want to learn more about the characters and story. I want to flesh out the world. I want to milk all the juicy goodness from this game. MMMmmm delicious. One of the more odd things I've found is that I can't stop walking. For those of you that may not understand. In games like this you walk faster and then begin to run the more you tilt the analogue stick. I just can't get myself to run. As I walk I feel like a traveler in this world. I want to walk at a normal human pace for multiple reasons. I want to enjoy the beauty of the scenery. I want to hunt for herbs and ingredients. I don't want to run into a group of bandits I didn't see coming. I'd rather get the jump on them. The Witcher 2 just makes me feel like I'm Geralt of Rivia and I love it. All the decisions I make feel real with legitimate repercussions. Not just pointless filler that pretends to have an affect. I am shaping my world and my story as I play. All of these things add up to one wonderful game. Oh and to prove my point, I went in this morning and picked up my pre-ordered Dark Edition. If you have any interest in this game and have managed to get to this point in my wall of text, just get it. You won't regret it. Thanks for reading. Expand
  43. Apr 24, 2012
    There is a lot to do in Witcher 2, with an interesting take to the open world Genre. However, the entire system used here, such as the menu's and potion system, are simply tedious. If it wasn't for the story, characters, and some impressive settings, then this game would just be another RPG to add to the packed market.
  44. Nov 24, 2013
    I give this game a 5 mainly because its not as good as the hype, plus not to mention people compared this game godlike to that of skyrim which made me feel like buying it more. I bought this used at gamestop with a $20 off coupon so i paid $7 for it so it was definitely worth that price.

Don't get me wrong the story of this game is a great one, and you don't need to play the first one
    to understand the story. Though this game is more story than gameplay to where I find myself often bored and rushing some of the pointless dialogue. It feels more like you're watching an epic medieval movie where you get a few free moments to live it.

The graphics are great and the textures are sharp with amazing contrast to the colors. Very vibrant foliage while out questing that is pleasing to the eye.

The towns on this game look very disappointing. They look like a giant just ate a village and crapped them out calling it a town. Very difficult to navigate through and ugly to they eye.

Combat in this game is a plus because its very creative and I love the direction the combat system is moving for this game; however, with this game being more story and dialogue you hardly get to enjoy questing and fighting baddies in this installment of a game.

You can craft armor in the game which kind of makes me think of a watered down version of monster hunters armor crafting.

The side quests get a little on the repetitive side and you spend alot more time in dialogue of your quest than actually questing.

The bad guys in the game get old after a while because it seems most of them fight the same way.

I will say that in dialogue it stays true to modern RPG's where you can decide what happens in the game rather than it forcing you to do something.

I'm the kind of guy where I work many hours at my job so when i get home and have caught up with dinner and more I have about 2-3 hours of gaming left before its time to pass out, so this game wasn't truly for me and reason is because 2 1/2 of those hours I spent gaming were more sex scenes and dialogue than actual gameplay.

The maps aren't very open more so limiting, yet still looks great and the game itself can be beaten quick. The game plays more like if you took Fable and mixed it with dragon age origins, and hours upon hours of dialogue with a better story yet improving the combat features.

This game plays well on a day where you're hungover and don't want to focus on gaming yet giving yourself a movie experience.

If you love nudity and softcore sex scenes in games over actual gameplay then this a game for you.
    If you want to be a gaming hipster/elitist and say you play something thats not a popular skyrim game then this is for you.

I just found myself unsatisfied after beating the game and was wishing there was more gameplay to it.
    I mean the game itself on xbox 360 was a 2 disc game, so i was expecting a game that would take me months to beat while being sucked in its vastness. So yeah I was let down alot.

I think the 3rd installment of this game will be alot better. It looks like they might be giving gameplay more of a spotlight this time.

If you have alot of time on your hands and love medieval themes with sex scenes and alot of story then this is for you, but if you love to be more interactive with your game then I would say hold off till the 3rd one and play games like Skyrim, Dark souls and Monster hunter.

Still a shame that with a good combat system you don't get to truly enjoy its potential.
  45. Dec 30, 2013
    Great story, solid gameplay, and appreciated mature themes. This is the type of game those of us who grew up playing Nintendo and Sega console games have been waiting for. Movie-quality story, adult themes, occasional nudity, bloody and gore. It's as good as your favorite action-adventure movie. Fantastic voice acting, characters you grow to care about, and terrific pacing. The menu system can be clunky at times, but for an overall gaming experience, this one is hard to beat. Without question, belongs in the same tier of action RPG games as the KOTOR franchise, Mass Effect, and Fallout 3. CD Projekt Red has created a gaming experience. Anxiously awaiting the third in the trilogy. Expand
  46. Apr 30, 2012
    What I'm about to write is purely first impressions from playing for a few hours.

Visually, the game is astonishing! Up close there is a bit of texture popping (I don't have the game installed yet) but it's forgivable when you see what else is on offer. Sound, I can't complain about. Voice acting is good, some nice background music, and good effects when using magic and sword swings/
    clashes.

There's a nice amount of humour that makes you connect to each character instead of them just being lumps of meat wandering around.

The gameplay mechanics aren't too bad either. I'd heard it was a difficult game to get to grips with but I haven't felt this as yet. Two buttons for attacking (three if you've got an offensive spell on...) and one for blocking, and then dodging. Easy to learn and not a lot that can go wrong! I especially like the wheel based menu for quick access to magic and items. Much better than having to go through long lists of everything you're holding at the time.

The only issue I have with this game, is that I hadn't played the first one, so I don't really have a clue what's going on, and so far there has been nothing to explain it.

Definitely a game I plan on playing till the end. And I get the sense that that's going to be a while...
  47. Apr 22, 2012
    i dont care what other reviewers say- Either ones that give it 10 or ones that spitefully give it a zero!
    i know its one of the best games ive played in a while and i like it much more than Skyrim or Dragon age origins ( although Dark Souls still has 1st place for me)
    so it is an excellent RPG, one of the best and much more interesting than Skyrim and with better combat mechanics and
    better story and music ....i would give it a 9/10 but i am angry with people and reviews who would give it a zero for no gaming related reason so there.. Expand
  48. Apr 20, 2012
    I really like this game! At first I was a bit overwhelmed with the sheer depth, but found myself getting accustomed to it right away. The graphics look great, not quite as good as I had hoped but definitely very good. The soundtrack is amazing (I put it on my iPhone!). The story is huge, and captivates the player right off the bat into getting involved and truly caring about the characters, which for me is mandatory for a true role playing game. My main complaint with the game is that some side quests lack a market on the mini map, making some of the side quests a little too time consuming! This game reminds me of an adult Fable story, with a more believable cast of characters and plot. I will be holding on to this gem for quite a while, and recommend it to anyone who loves RPGs and great sword fighting games! Expand
  49. May 18, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPG of this year. Is a seriously contender for the GOTY in it's category (RPG). I hope that Microsoft public more excellent games from PC because that is the way to obtain more hardcore gamers to their console. Thanks CDProjekt. The only thing that I think the game needs is replay after the end, only that.
  50. May 6, 2012
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition XBOX 360 â
  51. Jun 30, 2012
    Ultimately , a few technical blemishes prevent The Witcher 2 from achieving the greatness it truly deserves . But an excellent story , quality production values and an unparalleled sense of maturity rarely seen in gaming , let alone RPGs makes the Witcher 2 stand out from the rest of the pack .
  52. Apr 20, 2012
    Every that the PC version is but better, the 360 version is smoother, and is theb est looking game on the 360 to date, this game is in the same league as Skyrim, can't believe I had to consider getting this game, it's just great!
  53. Nov 14, 2013
    Disappointment sums it up... Playing the Witcher 2 feels like a chore; it's not enjoyable but more of a bore. It features very linear gameplay, and is not the open world thriller it's been marketed as. Instead of a vastly open map you navigate through a spider web of trails divided into small regions which are susceptible to load-outs when boarder hoping. Combat controls need to be executed precisely and will take hours to master. The game often leaves you in combat situations that seem impossible thanks to the stubborn controls and complexity of motions required. The sad part is I want to like this game so much, I put it back in my xbox once a month only to remember that its sucks. And whats even sadder is, I'm decently hyped for the Witcher 3, as if it will be any different. Expand
  54. Apr 18, 2012
    The Witcher 2 for X360.

What can I say, I reviewed the Witcher 2 when it came out on PC and I loved it, I had just finished playing the first game and found the sequel to be extremely satisfying.

I bought it on X360 to get the new enhanced content and see how it ran on a big screen and the game does not disappoint. Witcher 2 continues the Witcher story without missing a beat. The
    tutorial is quite fun and lets you get a handle on how to use the player character and lets you see that if you want to you can make him more than just a slash and hack swordsman (although that is quite fun), but lets you make that call for yourself.

The game does require a little more finesse to play effectively than just bludgeoning your way through it with either sword or spell as you might in Skyrim and it will punish you again and again if you fail to employ the many defensive and basic evasion techniques at your disposal. To beat your AI opponents even the very basic ones you have to think about your approach in terms of tactics or you will expend all your resources very quickly and may find the next group of enemies harder to pin down.

The storyline is original and well plotted compared to a lot of what is out there and if you are unfamiliar with the Witcher world you wonâ
  55. May 20, 2012
    This is the most disappointed I've been in a game since FFXIII. The good Great looking game and great voice acting. The character models and voice acting combine to imbue the NPCs with character far more than any game I've ever played. Some atmospheric quests. When it clicks, the combat requires more tactical thought than perhaps any rpg except Demons Souls. The bad Witcher 2 runs on the rails for far too long before letting you go.
    Worst boss battle ever - the Kayran battle seems to hinge purely on luck as to whether your trap freezes the tentacle you were aiming for.
    Geralt dodge rolls like a drunken turtle. Upgraded the 'skill' as soon as possible, but couldn't tell any difference.
    Worst mini game ever - dice poker - can't even read the dice, clicked randomly to eventually win.
    Why can't I drink potions when I want?
    Running around trying to find next character in quest with no help from terrible, terrible map (how hard is it to have resident's names on houses?)
    Terrible menu system. There's more, but to sum up, don't bother.
  56. Apr 4, 2013
    Not a bad game, but massively overrated. I am glad I waited for the price to drop, because had I paid full price I might be a bid disappointed, but at the current pricing I think it is a fun weekend game. I just can't figure out where all the high scores and hype came from. Perhaps gamers were bewitched by the nudity, since it certainly can't be the underwhelming story, sub-par battle system, or the painfully linear environments. Still there is fun to be had, just not the amount I expected based on the hype. Expand
  57. Apr 17, 2012
    I find it ridiculous that every single person giving this game a zero are jumping on the same damn b.s as everyone else, saying that they are the developer/publisher leaving the reviews, simply because they only reviewed the Witcher 2 on pc, 360, or both. One - this game is more than worth the nines and tens being given. Two - who is to say that they didn't play one or the other, and simply wanted to contribute to the score now that the game is in the spotlight again? Anyway, to you people - stop being damn hypocrites. Don't, based on your suspicions alone, claim that the game is given biased, upped reviews from someone in on the game, then turn around and give the game a zero because of it. It's not you "evening the playing field". It's hypocrisy.

Anyway, long story short, this game is a masterfully crafted, well written piece of gaming goodness. The 360 version, despite some technical shortfalls, is just as impressive as it was on pc. Anyone interested in a tactical, mature themed, action rpg with stellar writing and a great sense of atmosphere, you won't find a better title, on console or otherwise. Highly recommended.
  58. Apr 17, 2012
    The three losers giving this game a 0 because you somehow think that CD Projekt is putting the high reviews...you are pathetic and delusional. Didn't you think that maybe it's PC gamers who love this company so much that they're coming back to review the 360 version now? Unless you've been living under a rock you should know how much PC gamers respect this company and many of them have made accounts just to show support. Go to any game and you will see fans who only reviewed that one game to show the developer they care about support. I hope your reviews are deleted. Obvious trolls. Anywho, played this on PC and amazing game. Highly recommended 360 gamers. Expand
  59. May 24, 2012
    This game will suck the soul out of anyone who has one.. i didnt even get out of my training path tree because i thought my mind might implode. I cant see how someone would enjoy a game like this.. I certainly wanted to but You dont really play it you just watch it and interact when it says press A button now Tap x Button.. zzzzzzzz zzz zzz zz z God am i alive ? The adult theme is a step in the right direction but at its best its just Another tedious bloated unsatisfying rpg.. If the game world was seamless it could be a success.. unfortunately walking through doors watching loading screens watching cutscene after cutscene is akin to watching paint dry, crack and peel off. This game is just one sigh after another. combat is slightly better than skyrim.. not saying much though. In fact its a disgrace. Skyrims was possibly the worst i have experienced.. This type of game with its cutscene extravaganza is the death, scourge and plague of modern day games.. Dont be fooled by the high scores theres a lot of very very special people out there.. Expand
  60. May 2, 2012
    I was waiting in anticipation for this game, and it didnâ
  61. May 3, 2012
    One of best games i ever played.
    Feels like an open world game, the world is big , lot of exploration to do and lots of side-quests to complete.
    Amazing storyline, for adults, and non-linear story... every choice change your game.
    Im a fan of cd projekt now, i cant wait for Witcher 3
  62. Apr 17, 2012
    Best 360 rpg by far. Choices matter in this game unlike Mass Effect. Great graphic, story and game play makes this a masterpiece. It was also the best rpg on the PC. It is very re-playable because the paths are largely different.
  63. May 14, 2012
    Having had the time to really sink my teeth into this one, I can easily say it is one of the most satisfying titles of a long, long while. It really is a game that, whether you like it or not, does not restrict itself in order to pacify those who maybe aren't equipped to handle a hardcore experience. This is (sadly) something rarely seen in games today.

This is one of the first rpg's in a
    long while that left me truly satisfied. Skyrim was too shallow and it's quests mediocre. Kingdoms of Amalur's world and quest design was too restrictive and static. This game hits the mark in most areas I concern myself with when it comes to rpgs. Geralt, while a pre-established main character, holds a lot of personality, and the developers still found ways for you to make him your own. The character development is deep and varied, allowing for vastly different tactics through different playthroughs. Your actions have real weight and consequence to them. So much so that the entire second chapter can be flipped, offering a vastly different experience depending on the choices you make. And the world, while mostly linear, is highly detailed, allowing me to really put myself into the game. Anyway, I really couldn't recommend this game enough. Easily one of the top rpg's to be found on console (or pc for that matter) this generation. Show CD Projekt some love and buy this game, whether it be on pc, or on the 360. Expand
  64. Jan 27, 2013
    Witcher 2 is a gorgeous game. Stunning visuals, amazingly versatile story and incredible characters that creates an immersive heaven. If you're a fan of RPG, you probably already know about this game and for a new comer to the genre get this for a great experience. CD Projekt really impressed me with this follow up to the original Witcher (PC) and did the books justice.
  65. Apr 21, 2012
    I am writing a full review as I was one of the 1,000 chosen to receive a promotional press copy (CDPROJEKT RED are amazing just to even hold that contest!) I was like a little kid on christmas when I saw the overnighted envelope in my apartment complex's mail "wall"; and rushed back to my apartment door to rip open the package to see a personalized letter and the game; Having pre-ordered it on PC and playing it on maximum graphic settings with ubersampling and using Nvidia 3D Vision (The developers ensured it was "3D Ready" which is the highest rating for Nvidia 3D on games; it in my opinion remains the best looking Nvidia 3D Vision title; seeing the sword pop out of the screen at you seems like it really is right out at you); anyway; I made the choices I saw fit and played through the PC version finding it the best RPG (along with Dragon Age Origins) of the past 10 Years.

Turn over to the 360 version; while (beating a dead horse) the graphics obviously can't look anything like the PC version due to 7 year old crap hard-ware; CDPROJEKT RED re-designed and re-coded the game for the 360; and changed the art direction even; that is pure dedication;

People say theres screen tearing; I haven't noticed any in my near complete play through of the game; yes I noticed some textures that load and pop in but I basically notice that in any console game that wasn't designed to just run on a console with graphics that look "Great but great for a console"; The Witcher 2 is one of if not THE best looking games on consoles; as an RPG it has the best story telling and plot twists; and your never sure when your in the wrong or the right- or the middle; decisions are based on who YOU are as a person; if your quickly reacting- or how you think your playing the character but it may not end up the way you think your trying to play the character; this is brilliant as it is not a RED OR BLUE type choice ala BioWare; so you cannot play Pure "Red or Blue" you play as if you had been in these situations, thus I think people have VIVIDLY different experiences with the games stories, quests, armor/weapons, characters, areas, ending etc based on the type of PERSON you are in real-life; brilliant design.

Combat is fast paced without taking away from being a hardcore RPG; you need to prepare with potions prior to combat; with sword upgrades like oils; and quickly damage each target bouncing back and forth; then using Traps; Bombs and throwing daggers to injure enemies at a distance so you don't get swarmed- Using the dodge and roll allows you to get away fast enough to regain vigor allowing you to cast Magical Signs everything from Kinetic Force (may stun an enemy for a 1 shot kill animation, or blast them off the edge of where they stand for an instant kill that feels amazing); one that is more like a magic trap; explodes injuring the target and possibly rooting them; one that shields you from harm for one hit (and counts down incase you don't get hit); one that shoots a HADUKAN looking fireball at an enemy (Atleast in the "Kill Cam" style kills when it is used; it looks like a street fighter move heh); and one sign allows you to lure and charm an enemy to fight for you for a bit; having these spells at your disposal from the start allows you to use combinations and get a greater understanding of them incase you decide to go further down the magic skill-tree rather than swordsman ship or alchemy; I prefer going deep and finishing the swordsmanship tree as the movement and combat bonuses it adds makes the gameplay even more fluid; in a Batman Arkam City style way of flowing to each enemy with finesse and beauty; also raising adrenaline (eventually you can get this ability) when Adrenaline fills up you can execute it and slay anyone around you in a certain radius to a very rad "Finisher Kill Cam" style display of the event.

The game is completely satisfying in every way possible; endless weapons, armor, quests, locations, free roaming and doing things the way you would like to; experiencing the game differently than others in more ways than just the evolving developing plot changes etc but how situations are tackled while someone may benefit from using the CAT potion and seeing the trails of enemies / friends, blood stains; seeing through walls and seeing what type of enemies you may be facing to prepare for them; and having everything lit up is very different than someone who decides to go in a dungeon / cave in the dark and figure it out on his own; Things like this are what make The Witcher 2 a MUST PLAY console title just as it is a must play PC title; for RPG fans; and for ANY gaming fan (if you can't take the hard combat; put it on easy mode for more of a hack and slash event; the difference from easy to normal is HUGE; the difference from Normal to hard is even larger (it seems normal is a regular games Harder hah;) then DARK MODE is for those that want to make Dark Souls look like Mario 64;10/10.
  66. Oct 1, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is great for many reasons. It's superb story line, engaging characters and it's combat that will punish you if you don't use the resources available for you. It has two very different story paths and your actions actually do make an effect on the game. The only negative thing I can say about this game is it's quest marker on the mini map which can sometimes be very misleading, sometimes sending you in the wrong direction. But this isn't that bad once you become familiar with the area. Expand
  67. Apr 22, 2012
    Played it and my personal opinion is that it's a good game but the combat and targeting make this game frustrating and cheap. The beginning you are going to get your ass handed to you on a regular basis. The skills you have wont be enough to get through the prologue seemlessly I can understand difficulty but when the game is restricting your ability to attack or target that makes it not difficult but cheap. The dialogue and story are great but memorable not in the slightest. The characters are the same stereo-typical characters you've seen in movies, games, and multitude of stories littered about. There is a great variety in the game which I did like from weapons to bombs and traps. The visuals are nice as well. This is not a game intended for casual gamers but for a more dedicated gamer that is really looking for content as well as depth in story. I don't dislike the game but I'm not totally enamored by it. In the end just stick through it because it does get better but if you're looking for a user friendly game look else where. Expand
  68. Apr 17, 2012
    You people that keep giving the game a 0 and writing about how you think employees or people getting paid are giving the game a 10, ARE EVEN WORSE then the people doing that if that's even true. your giving a brilliant game a 0 even though you haven't completed it, haven't left a review for it and probably haven't even played it. you people should be banned from this website. its obvious from looking at critic scores or just talking to people that have played the game there opinion. that these so called "fake" reviewers scores of 10 aren't far off from what the game actually is. like i said the only disgrace is you idiots giving a game a 0 without a review. Expand
  69. Apr 18, 2012
    Skyrim for adults--shows everything an RPG should be. Tough, demanding, and choices matter. Definitely take the time to read Geralds journal for context and background...
  70. Jul 15, 2012
    the greatest RPG ever made- maybe the greatest game ever made- if you are a gamer, or have ever had any interest in gaming you simply must experience this work of art- CD project are cemented their legacy with this wonderfull stunning masterpiece
  71. Sep 26, 2012
    The first Witcher game was merely alright, but the sequel has improved upon its predecessor in almost every single aspect. For instance, the production values now are through the roof. The UI is sleek, the graphical fidelity and art direction is astonishing, and the sound quality is overall very good indeed. Engaging in combat is a blast, even though it can be a wee bit unresponsive at times. Finally, there's the story, which is riveting from beginning to end. It may be somewhat difficult to comprehend at times, as there are a great lot of names to remember, but it's superb nonetheless. The player is forced to make truly difficult decisions throughout the journey too; decisions which aren't all black and white. If you only plough through the game once, it'll last you about 40 hours, but it has sufficient replay value, as the choices you make have huge impact on how the story unfolds. Overall, I can heartily recommend The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings to anyone looking for a great RPG experience. Expand
  72. Feb 15, 2013
    I really don't understand all the high-scores here. The game is ok, I've played worse in my gaming experience, but this is it. I understand that "The Witcher 2" provides a deep and intriguing plot and a bunch of interesting characters you deal with during the game, but we have to remember that this is supposed to be a RPG, not a movie. And, as a RPG, it has more than one flaw. -1-. The game tries to trick you into believing it's "open world". It's not. You have to "unlock" more areas by progressing in the main quest and, while exploring an area, you are forced to follow predefined paths: the mighty witcher simply can't climb a two feet high cliff (unless the designers want you to do so) or pass through a bush. -2-. The stealth system is a joke. You have to manually turn off the lights by targeting them with the controller. 90% of the time spent in stealth mode you are standing still, trying to center the camera on the goddamn torchlights. -3-. The game warns you to drink potions BEFORE combat if you find them too hard. Too bad the witcher isn't also some kind of precog. Everytime you wander in the wild (well, everytime you follow the predefined path in the forest), and i mean EVERYTIME, be prepared to be ambushed by an army of angry monster-dudes popping from the ground to kick your low level ass. So, every game session consists in you going further, being killed, reloading a previous save, drink potions and fight the monsters AGAIN. The second time, of course, the fight is a piece of cake since you know exactly what's going to happen. This goes on and on, until you are high-level enough to have enough tricks to survive an ambush. At this point, potions are only good for boss fights. I don't mind a game being hard, but this is just ridiculous since at low levels this mechanic breaks the game flow and spoils any fun. -4-. Crafting system: another joke. Again, you might be the mighty witcher, but you can't craft a simple leather armor without visiting a dwarf and asking "Can you please craft this jacket for me?". You end up gathering an insane amount of crafting materials, most of them utterly useless, just to store them in an inn. Then you get a schematic for a good sword. You have to go back to the inn, check the materials, pick up what you need and only that or you'll be overcumbered, then go again to the dwarf, ask him to craft it, then you have your sword. Provided you didn't forget anything or you'll have to make all the trips again. -5-. Some quests are poorly designed, meaning that even reading your journal it's not clear what you have to do. I.e. in the first chapter you are asked to go to the inn to gather infos on the Kayran and the journal points you there. You end up talking to EVERY SINGLE person in that damn inn, just to find out you had to talk to YOUR FRIENDS about topics totally unrelated in order to trigger the Kayran to appear. Lol? -6-. Talking about sloppy designers work? You can rob a vendor's chest just in front of him and re-sell him HIS STUFF while he's smiling. You weren't allowed to do that in Oblivion and we're talking about a 2006 game (yeah, that's 7 years ago) -7-. Someone here praises the graphics. I assume you all have a different Xbox360 than mine, since the graphics are good, but not stunning on my machine. Everything in distance is blurred, and the facial expressions of characters are far from detailed like, i.e., Mass Effect.- 8-. Strong language, lol. Saying sometimes "c0cksuck3r" or "sh1t" doesn't make a fantasy game "mature", it makes it just ridiculous. Kids will surely enjoy that, but I'm 33 years old, I hear enough swearing IRL and i can say those words without having my mom scolding me. --There are more minor flaws, that I will not list here since I also want to say something good about "The Witcher 2". Don't get me wrong, this game is not terrible, as I said before I've played worse. But it's far from good, and for sure not "great" nor "gorgeous". It has its moments: if you're looking for a deep and well developed plot, you will sure enjoy this game. The story is really interesting and that's what will get you to complete the game, maybe 2-3 times to see the consequences of different choices. In this, "Assassins of Kings" is really good, even better than "Dragon Age: Origins". BUT, to get to it you'll have to go through hours of boring and slow gameplay, at least at low levels. To me, that was the fatal flaw: it's a game, it's supposed to be fun and most of the time it's not. If I'm looking for a deep plot just for the sake of entertainment, well, I have the first season of Game of Thrones on DVD. If you're looking for a good RPG, Skyrim and Oblivion are better. Kingdoms of Amalur is better. The Fallout series are better. Dragon Age: Origins is better. Mass Effect trilogy is better. I'll go as far as saying even Dragon Age 2 is better. To me it's a 6, no more. Expand
  73. Apr 18, 2012
    A fantastic game, challenging and captivating throughout the whole journey. This is one of my favourite wrpgs and will remain to be for a long time. The devs have managed to bring an amazing experience to the 360. I would suggest all who enjoy a challenging mature game to purchase this game.
  74. Apr 17, 2012
    I think it's funny that people rate the game openly based on what they think a publisher is asking someone to do, not on what a developer has developed. A pity for such a wonderful game :)

I'm just a fanboy, not an employee. Don't punish CDPR because you think someone at WB is being d1ck.
  75. Apr 28, 2013
    This is a very adult RPG with a great story and incredible graphics. All of the dialogue is well written and the voice acting helps pull you in to the world that they have created. The swordplay is fun, it reminds me a little of the combat system in the assassins creed games. Magic is implemented well in this game and is not overpowered. All around this is one of the best RPGs that I've played, and I've played several. If you haven't played it yet you should give it a try. Expand
  76. Sep 28, 2012
    This game (and the original) took me by surprise. They had a lot of flaws (inventory management, slow loading, bizarre act IV in witcher I, not much replay value), almost all of which I forgive because I am in love with the games. They are on the list of my top 5 favorite games. 9/10 instead of 10/10 since I've spoken with enough people to know that this game doesn't do for everyone what it, for reasons I find hard to identify, did for me. If you liked this game, consider: The Witcher, Mass Effects, and Planescape Torment. Expand
  77. Jul 4, 2013
    Con The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings sono a metà dell'atto 2 ma non lo porterò a termine a causa dei troppi difetti che gli trovo giocandoci. La storia non particolarmente coinvolgente o emozionante e non riesce a spiccare come invece si vede nei giochi di ruolo giapponesi ben più articolati e complessi; le fastidiose e troppo frequenti scene di sesso gratuito rovinano l'evolversi delle vicende ridicolizzando la sceneggiatura che già di per se appena sufficiente; le espressioni facciali sono inesistenti e la personalità dei personaggi lascia a desiderare; il doppiaggio buono ma non raggiunge i livelli visti in Red Dead Redemption o L.A. Noire; il gameplay un ibrido tra strategia ed azione che a tratti risulta mal riuscito, specie nelle situazioni in cui ci si trova combattere con degli alleati; la quasi totale mancanza di boss battle non attribuisce al gioco quel livello di sfida visto ad esempio in Dark Souls; la gestione del personaggio tallonata dal limite di livello imposto ad un massimo di 35; la mappa confusionaria e poco dettagliata; spesso si obbligati a scartare oggetti perchè non si ha la possibilità di venderli non avendo un negoziante nei paraggi; per creare equipaggiamento/oggetti bisogna recarsi da un fabbro anzichè far da se, ecc ecc… Insomma una produzione con molte buone idee ma decisamente mal sviluppate. Il gioco sarebbe potuto essere un buon rpg se solo fosse stato curato un pò meglio. Per quanto mi riguarda raggiunge appena il 7, non completato e riposto nello scaffale. Expand
  78. Aug 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I want to make this clear: I am not writing this review to troll or to be unique or edgy (since this is considered an amazing game). This is truly my opinion, and my opinion is that this is an over-rated game in every regard.

The combat is boring, and it mostly just resorts to button mashing. There are no reasons to use your silver sword, as both your weapons deal pretty much the same damage even to monsters. There are also massive difficulty spikes that are simply unfair and punishing.

I do not understand why the story has gotten so much praise. It pretty much just boils down to trying to find a guy that kills kings, while also trying to save your kidnapped girlfriend. In between, you have sex a lot. Some NPCs are put into the game for the soul purpose of providing a sex scene.

There is one scene in the game where you fall into a tomb with Triss, your girlfriend. You say that she needs a bath, and proceed to have a 5 minute long sex scene. Also, why do you have so much sex with other women when you always proclaim that you love Triss and will stop at nothing to get her back?

Also, why am I supposed to care if King Foltest is assassinated? I've been with that character for 20 minutes for the prologue, and then he dies. He was the motivation for chasing down the kingslayer, but I have absolutely no emotional attachment to him. It's hard to care about a story when you're unattached to what's going on in said story.

There are some moments of greatness in this game in which the game shows that it could actually start ramping up, perhaps becoming exciting. The prologue for instance was one of the best levels in any game I've seen. It's too bad that that level was squandered because the rest of the game is so boring and offers little in the way of rewards.

In conclusion, I believe that this game might be among the most overrated games of our generation. I simply don't get it. I don't understand how this game has garnered critical acclaim, but I respect that people enjoy it. This game is just not for me perhaps.
  79. Apr 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Witcher 2 does what Dragon Age 2 should have done to DA1 aswell. Namely, making a great RPG even greater. You don't have to bump down a RPG when you add a realtime action combat system. You don't have to recycle the same locations all the freaking time. You don't have to make the game look cartoony and much much much easyer. Bioware look at the real pro's cause CD Projekt whooped your butt there. Yes Witcher 2 is hard on medium difficulty. But its so satisfying when you defeat that boss or group of thugs. You really have to find a patern and adjust to it. Potions are a must. Making sure you got the right gear is a must. But unlike other games i haven't found it frustrating yet. Although i had to peek how to defeat the swamp monster cause the entire game you can't just jump on obstacles just like that and suddenly you have to without me knowing you could...died there allot of time dodging what he trew at me before i knew how to progress, then it was easy. XD Expand
  80. Jun 30, 2012
    Just too choreographed, nothing new, too restrictive you cant walk through a couple of shrubs, map very small, not enough options during dialogue, not enough fighting moves, very basic, very disappointed.
    Im giving it 1 out of 10, really its a 4, but we need to be realistic on the average user score here, some guys gave it 10, nothing is a ten they must be on glue!!!!
  81. Apr 21, 2012
    wicked combat, engrossing story, good character development, BEAUTIFUL VISUALS (especially on nearly 6yr old hardware) and great voice acting. All together make this one of the MUST HAVE rpg's of the year!!!! These guys kno how to make a game that sucks you right in and doesnt let go until the end.
  82. Apr 17, 2012
    Nothing less than what the new standard for RPG's should follow. Addicting combat, gorgeous environments, and characters that you will actually care about. It goes to show you how far time and dedication as a developer can go. The only thing you will feel left wanting is The Witcher 3.
  83. Apr 23, 2012
    This game is the most beautiful RPG I played. You can feel it, be there and experience something magical, hard to forget. For me, the epic moment was when you run during night through the forest from danger in it and suddenly a front of you appears well known village in flames... Outstanding.. I really enjoy playing this master peace. Thank you Poland!
  84. Apr 28, 2012
    i do not understand all the very high reviews for this game. there is so much wrong with it. the quest tracker is useless, the maps are almost useless. much of the game is simply tedious and not fun. crafting, alchemy etc. it seems set up almost like an mmo. if i wanted to spend my game time turning cloth into robust cloth, i would go play warcraft. the towns are laid out in mazes and you will spend much time simply searching for the next npc to talk to. its stupid. the so called great story is nonsense and impossible to follow.( the whole seige at vergen is so stupid, if i can kill the king,then why dont i and end it ? ) its impossible to care about geralt or anyone. but its greatest fault is the loot sucks. and when you level , you dont get cool new spells or effects, you just get upgrades to existing ones. yay ! a stat increase ! trust me, kingdoms of amalur is far far better. everything about this game is old and the type of game people dont want to play any more. its simply no fun running around vergen opening doors and looking at loading screens trying to find someone. why do developers make empty rooms and zones? go through this door, watch a loading screen, then cross an empty room or zone then open another door and watch another loading screen. why do you people think that is fun? i could just make a game and call it doors and loading screens and it would get 10's. this game is only fair. its playable. but can be frustrating. some parts are cool. but , its no way deserving of all these scores. Collapse
  85. May 13, 2013
    Simply amazing game. Combines depth of its predecessor with greatly improved combat and character development systems. The only shortcomings are occasional bugs and the length of the game it's much shorter than the first installment (hence the 9, not 10). Best console RPG since Dragon Age: Origins.
  86. Apr 1, 2013
    I am thouroughly enjoying the heck out of the Witcher 2. I haven't played the first installment, as I was told I didn't have to play it in order to play the second one. It appears RPG's are becoming better and better as times go on. With an incredible plotline, solid swordplay, sophisticated armor enhancing, attribute development, and crafting, this game packs alot of fun and wonder into the familiar medieval fantasy setting. Expand
  87. Apr 27, 2013
    I was genuinely surprised that I did not like The Witcher 2, after hearing all the praise from both critics and friends. They praised the story, the gameplay, and the "deep" and "mature" writing. I failed to see any of this in-game.

My gripes with this game are mainly minors ones. For example, the animations. Everyone looks like they’ve got a rod down their spine, and they barely
    have any emotions at all. Geralt himself is a robot, responding with grunts and stiff nods. In fact, I found almost all the characters stale and uninteresting.

Secondly, the menu system. This game was not made for the consoles, period. The menus are crowded, messy, and hard to understand compared to other RPGs.

Thirdly, the combat. I found myself just mashing the "A" button until my opponent died, occasionally rolling away from attacks and waiting for my health to regenerate. I saw little purpose for using magic, and there was no need to.

Lastly, The Witcher 2 has a serious lack of customization and variety of its enemies and items.

Overall, The Witcher 2 has its shortcomings, mainly its menus, combat, and lack of customization. But it has its strong points too, like its story, even if it tries to be “mature.”
  88. Aug 4, 2012
    One of (if not the best) role-playing experiences on any console.

The storytelling is excellent and the character has meaningful choices and consequences (moreso than any recent RPG in memory). In fact, the entire 2nd half of the game is different based on a decision you make around the half-way point.

The controls take some getting used to, especially combat. However, I found it
    more in the vein of easy to learn difficult to master than poorly thought out or alien.

The M rating is well deserved, and the mature subjects are dropped in just to show TNA, rather are dispersed in all the right places at the right time as you advance the story.

The world is not open world, but there are many more exploration options, side quests, etc. than one typically finds in a Bioware game that is not open world.

I really enjoyed this game, and recommended it to a friend who returned it in 3 hours. I suspect this is a game with very little middle ground. According to the user score distribution, that holds up.

To me, this really felt like a mature Baldurs Gate done in 3D.

Graphics are very well done (textures, color palette, animations).
    Sound is good, but some of the dialog mixes were under mic'd.
    Controls for the most part become intuitive pretty quickly.

The arena is a great place to hone your skills as you consider playing through on Dark (hardcore) mode.

Support companies like CDProjektRed! We need more games like this.

I know I, for one, will be pre-ordering cyberpunk for xbox 360 as soon as humanly possible.

Well-done CDPR!
  89. Apr 17, 2012
    Simply put, a brilliant game. One of the best RPG's i ever played and the most beautiful one. The graphics are amazing, the gameplay is pure fun and the story line which drives you forward is really well made.
    It has some flaws of course, as do all games out there, but seeing the "0" scores from some people is just ridiculous. They claim that CDPR staff are coming here rating their own
    game, so they can justify their low scores, cause in the two negative posts so far i haven't read an explanation as to what drove them to rate with a "0".
    Review the game with how much you like it and how it plays, not just because of the ghosts you see around you. Childish behaviours.
  90. Apr 18, 2012
    I feel this game needs as much aplaud as possible That is why I am posting my pc review here as well. This game is the best fantasy crpg I've played since, I don't know, possibly even Baldur's Gate. Every single aspect of the game is well thought out, you can almost feel the game developers' love which they poured into their creation. Memorable characters and monsters, amazing story, best graphics I've seen (I don't even think this is an exaggeration), rewarding and dynamic combat system, nice music and voicework. And most of all - loads of fun, games are supposed to be fun and this one is overflowing with fun. I really have to think hard of things I would improve - maybe some menus that are hard to get used to, that's it I guess. I would recommend it to anyone who is mature enough to appreciate what the game brings. And none other crpg brings more. Expand
  91. May 21, 2012
    Where should I start... The Witcher 2 is a massive game in terms of it lore and general setting. The graphics are devine and I was constantly astounded at the efforts that where put into it, down to the smallest details. The story is rich (perhaps a bit too rich but I'll get to that) and engaging and pushes you as a player to reveal more and more of the plot. The voice acting is top notch and totally believable however some of the random NPCs can get a little old in their chatter if you hang around too long in one area. The fighting was for the most part challenging on a normal difficulty but you always felt confident that should you fail you where the one who could improve your strategy and not that the game had simply let you down. If I had to fault one thing it would be the amount of detail the play has to remember, this can be a little hard if you are like me and terrible with names and such. I found myself having to occasionally refer to my Journal to reference who I had just spoke to or spoken about. The plots are deep and very entangled and this can be a little confusing form time to time and to be honest I often wondered why I was doing this or that task (it's almost as if you are afraid to stop playing for too long in-case you forget what was happening). All in all it is a stunning game and if you're willing to put some effort into indulging into the world of Gerald the Witcher you will walk away pumped for the next chapter in the story! Expand
  92. Oct 11, 2012
    This game is a mixed bag. I dont understand why it received so many 10's from critics. Theres a lot of things in the design of this game that hold it back, so regardless of anything else it does not deserve a perfect score. Heres some examples. The targeting system frequently goes out, and wont come back on unless you get really close to an enemy, so good luck free-throwing bombs or daggers. The game relies on a "pre-emptive" potion system. You cant take any buffs when a fight starts, so unless your a psychic your going to end up in fights without warning, and with no potions equipped. The game never auto saves unless you complete a mission, or start a battle, so what ends up happening (after a really long game over screen from the fight you werent prepared for in the first place) is you respawn at the very beginning of the battle, still cant use any potions, lose all progress even if you died 10 minutes into the battle, and in some cases you will have to re-assign your load out after each death cause for whatever reason the game didnt save that either (Happened twice to me). And you will die a lot. Difficulty spikes in this game are pretty extreme. Its not all bad, and the story kept me interested enough to finish the game. With that being said, this was the most frustrating game ive ever finished. I wanted to see the story through, and i like games where decisions have weight. So if you can accept some infuriating design flaws, there is some fun to be had. But this game is no perfect 10. Expand
  93. Apr 28, 2012
    Great game, great story ... I really have nothing to complaint. I enjoy the difficultly and each fights is intense and epic. Cant wait for the next game!
  94. May 24, 2012
    I have no idea how this game has such a high rating. Its not for the open world loving RPG fans that will of played the likes of Skyrim, Oblivion and Fallout. This game is scarily similiar to Fable II. It has little to none leveling and upgrading abilities for your character taking any any unique feel to the game. The areas are quite beautiful graphically but small compared to other games. Pathways are set out and you cannot deter from them like a genuine sandbox game. This games only positive i can draw is the interactions with NPC's and dialog. If you want a game thats based purely on dialog and choices but not much substance out in the actual playing world then this is the game for you. Expand
  95. Aug 31, 2013
    The story and characters really tie together well and make for an interesting and purposeful gaming experience. The decision-making elements in the game are subtle and dialogue choices significant, meaning you really have to be sure of what you are saying and doing. Any lack of conviction meaning you may have to try a lot harder for the outcome you desire, fail at a quest or even end up on the wrong side of your friends sword. Attention to detail and design is impressive and further adds to the feel of a living world within the game. If you’re prepared to put in the time and effort The Witcher 2 really is a game you can’t miss. Expand
  96. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is the best RPG storytelling in gaming history. It can be quite difficult also. The decision making is tangible and the combat although a little slow is dynamic and fun. What I really want to emphasize here is the visuals and the storyline. This game is like a great book, the main character Geralt feels like an ancient warrior who the player must slowly immerse into a changing world. It is rewarding, the dialogue is interesting and the game, although very very large, does not feel repetitive. This is my favorite RPG of all time and I would recommend it to the Pope. Expand
  97. May 4, 2012
    This is a condensed version of my review, just to get it to fit on metacritic. Please read the full review at www.veterangamers.co.uk
    Attention fellow gamers, man your Xbox, and don your poop socks! This game is epic.

As I was driving to work yesterday, I caught myself actually falling asleep at the wheel. I spilled coffee all over my crotch and that didnâ
  98. May 18, 2012
    Simply fantastic game. The best RPG that come out on consoles. The story, combat, graphics, the whole world is just amazing. Worth playing multiple times.
  99. May 23, 2012
    This is one of the most disappointing game purchases I've ever made. I read all the positive reviews, and rushed to Best Buy to put down my $60. I wanted to love this game. Unfortunately, after playing for a few hours, I really hate the game. Here is why. First session of playing the game, I start the tutorial. I get to the part that requires throwing a bomb - and the control to throw the bomb DOES NOT WORK. And the tutorial will not advance until you throw the bomb. No way to cancel the tutorial....I google the issue, its a bug. Have to exit the game and loose my progress so far. Restart the game, and have to replay 10 minutes of tutorial to get to the same point. 2nd play through the controls work.

That kind of bug getting through QA - just not acceptable.

Combat is another reason that I don't care for this game. There are too many cases where the combat is just no fun, and the controls seem to work against you. Specifically, if you use the lock-on feature - there is no rhyme or reason as to which enemy you will attack - and using the feature often has you diving into the middle of several enemies and quickly dying. Second, as you walk through the world - you will randomly get dropped into a group of mobs - and have very little chance of surviving the encounter. During these encounters - its not a question of playing well. You simply get overwhelmed by the number of enemies and you die. You then have to wait 1-2 minutes while the game stops, tells you you are dead, and you have to reload your most recent save. A poor design decision that really takes you out of the game. And since dying seems to happen fairly regularly, this process amounts to an unecessary frustration. There are plenty of other RPGs, that have a better design so that dying is a sign of challenge - but doesn't lead to anger and frustration. Next, is the quest and map system. At multiple points in the first chapter - you will be left clueless as to where you have to go to move the quest along. Sometimes the map will show you a general direction - but at others it gives no useful information. So you will spend 30-40 minutes wandering around cursing trying to figure out how to advance the quest and the game. Worse, however, is a quest system that actually breaks a main quest into 2-3 separate quests in your quest log. And, its unclear that you have to finish multiple separate quests before trying to tackle the boss fight at the end of the quest chain. So, in my case - I'm in a boss fight that I cannot win - because i didn't realize I need to finish a separate quest to manufacture a special trap. So....I can basically lose 2-3 hours of gameplay; or, I can stop playing the game.

Finally, I spent way too much time watching cut scenes that are meant to convey the complex story. With brief forays into actually playing the game. Followed by a lot more cut scenes. Followed by a brief amount of game play.

Don't get me wrong - there is an interesting and complex story in this game. But, too many of the developer's design decisions make actually playing the game a frustrating and un-fun proposition. I enjoyed the story - but I never enjoyed playing the game. The combat controls work against you, and the quest design and map/UI are confusing and useless multiple times in the first chapter.

I don't mind a challenge, or dying. I enjoy demon souls | dark souls. I do mind a game that has poor design choices, and pulls you out of the game too frequently. After getting into the boss fight w/no chance of winning without significant back tracking - I'm going to trade the game in.
  100. Sep 5, 2012
    I have the enhanced version for the xbox 360.Great story,acting and a challenging combat system where grinding for levels doesn't help you much.First play through the boss battles and the death screen can be pretty aggravating...The last chapter is pretty short but the story begs for another play through since there are at least 2 very different paths to travel from chapter 2 onward.The journal/crafting menu took a bit to get used to but holds a lot of detail.The game does make you work a bit to find good armor and weapons as well.The story has many twists and takes some time to to figure out other characters motives.All in all a great RPG that doesn't feel like another (a Fable 2,Oblivion knockoff),great story, great voice acting with very good graphics and music. Expand
  101. Apr 28, 2012

1. Jul 13, 2012
    Witcher 2 is a throwback in a lot of ways to old PC games, which certainly appeals to me. The delivery method is modern, no doubt, but the fact there's a lot of poking and prodding (and death) that happens even early on has me anxious for another instalment.
  2. Jun 26, 2012
    The high bar of visuals is followed by a good score, and descent acting, some of the spell and combat audio has a edge to it that sounds lower quality then the rest of the audio landscape.
  3. Jun 17, 2012
    The Xbox 360 port is an impressive technical accomplishment that brings a classic PC RPG experience to a new audience. The transition is not flawless, but those who stick with it will be rewarded with an intriguing and entertaining experience.