8.3

1. Jul 20, 2014
    This game left me with an overwhelming sensation of "mehh." I love Telltale games. The Walking Dead Seasons 1 and 2 have presented moments that have absolutely torn me apart emotionally. The stories were engaging and fantastic. Unfortunately, the Wolf Among Us only presents an interesting setting. I like the characters and the environment, but the gameplay feels very lacking for such aThis game left me with an overwhelming sensation of "mehh." I love Telltale games. The Walking Dead Seasons 1 and 2 have presented moments that have absolutely torn me apart emotionally. The stories were engaging and fantastic. Unfortunately, the Wolf Among Us only presents an interesting setting. I like the characters and the environment, but the gameplay feels very lacking for such a game, and the overall story is very inconsistent and convoluted.

Really, this game simply fails in the story. Early episodes had "previews" showing the game going very differently. This lends to my belief that they changed the story to stretch the series in order to do a Season 2 a la Walking Dead. I don't mind this in principle, but Episodes 2, 3, and 4 could be merged and would feel about the same size as one Walking Dead episode. Episode 5 reaches the climax far too quickly, and ultimately spends far too much time in the "falling action." Episode 1 and 3 are very good, but otherwise I was largely underwhelmed by the story.
  2. Aug 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just meh.... The investigation and the final part of the game is just dumb.. IMO, story-telling is not the strong department of Telltale games, what makes Telltale games so special is the characters and the illusion of choices that affect you emotionally. At the end, I found snow is quite annoying and the wolf has no close connection to anyone. All of the characters are not that interesting to me. I feel I just passively followed a dumb detective story without emotion involved. Expand
  3. Jul 18, 2014
    I feel like this game's story is great but I wish there was more action moments in the game. Or as a player, had more of an impact on the actual final outcome outside of just talking. I purchased this game and played through all 5 episodes over a span of a week. There were points where I had to exit out and replay a scene or two. I figured that this would be a good place to make someI feel like this game's story is great but I wish there was more action moments in the game. Or as a player, had more of an impact on the actual final outcome outside of just talking. I purchased this game and played through all 5 episodes over a span of a week. There were points where I had to exit out and replay a scene or two. I figured that this would be a good place to make some different choices and see how it impacted the outcome... I was disappointed and felt like the game was just a chat simulator. Things that I say or do have an impact on pissing off someone or not. But does that keep them from showing up later in the story? Or trying to kill me in my off duty hours? No, it just means they are going to be upset with me later and I might not get as much information...But I can still progress through the story all the same with or without them. I would like to see something that actually makes my choice have impact and not just something that so and so will remember. Expand

1. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Sep 18, 2014
    Cry Wolf isn't without its problems, but it provides a satisfying conclusion to an episodic series that we feared would wrap inconclusively. [Issue#115, p.76]
  2. Jul 31, 2014
    The fifth episode of The Wolf Among Us is a fitting end to a amazing series by Telltale games. A bunch of questions are answered, and there is constant feeling of tension throughout the episode. Because Cry Wolf ties everything together in a amazing way, The Wolf Among Us becomes one of the best games Telltale ever made.
    The visuals, while still appealing, act a bit unsteady at times and the episode could have been longer. Telltale is asking for a fair chunk of cash for an episode that is measurable more in minutes than hours. But the art style, excellent voice acting and interesting story do more than enough to make up for those other deficiencies as Telltale Games turns in its finest release yet.