Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas Xbox 360

8.3

1. Boman
    Jun 1, 2007
    Online is awesome. Offline is garbage. On the back of the box, it says "splitscreen 2-4 players." It's true, you can sign in four controllers at once, but only two people can play at a time, so terrorist hunts and the missions never actually feel like you can play like a real SWAT team. Sure, you can play with more online, but there's something to be said about sitting on a sofa Online is awesome. Offline is garbage. On the back of the box, it says "splitscreen 2-4 players." It's true, you can sign in four controllers at once, but only two people can play at a time, so terrorist hunts and the missions never actually feel like you can play like a real SWAT team. Sure, you can play with more online, but there's something to be said about sitting on a sofa with your friends. Also, the enemies randomly respawn, which is just plain lazy. They wait until you aren't facing behind you, and then come from rooms you've already cleared. I was about to give this a 6, but offline is so terrible, I'm downgrading it even further. Expand
  2. PerseK.
    Nov 25, 2006
    It sucks... 3rd person is NOT in ANY circumstances REALISTIC and makes the online game one of the biggest disappointents of the year.
  3. JaceN.
    Feb 4, 2007
    Save yourself some money and go have a watergun fight with some twelve year olds...only blindfold yourself...take some drugs to slow your reactions...and give the children shotguns with live ammunition...then go play in a demolished building with far too many doors and no defensible positions...welcome to Rainbow Hell!
  4. Sep 20, 2014
    This game currently has an 8.4 user score on Metacritic, which just goes to show that most Metacritic users have very low standards for games. Some users even gave this turd a 10, which makes me honestly wonder if we played the same game, because the Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas I played was such a poorly designed mess that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Ironically, Microsoft gaveThis game currently has an 8.4 user score on Metacritic, which just goes to show that most Metacritic users have very low standards for games. Some users even gave this turd a 10, which makes me honestly wonder if we played the same game, because the Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas I played was such a poorly designed mess that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Ironically, Microsoft gave this pile of canine fecal matter away to Xbox Live Gold members for free. It's like getting free AIDS. They only give away games that either a) everyone and their mother already has (Like Halo games), or b) nobody in their right mind **** wants (Fable 2). This game falls under the latter category.

Now, this game isn't even up to Ubisoft's seemingly non-existent standards. The game is AT LEAST as glitchy as most Ubisoft titles. There are various audio glitches. The textures can sometimes take forever to load in. I've seen enemies stick the muzzle of their gun through a wall, somehow see me with the muzzle of their weapon, and then shoot me. Through a wall. Quality.

As for graphics, I think it's safe to say this is the ugliest AAA game to use Unreal Engine 3. They somehow took a decent looking engine and made a game that looks like regurgitated **** chunks. If you look closely you'll see that the rappel rope on your team member's uniform is a FLAT TEXTURE of a rappel rope. Graphics don't really matter to me though, and I try not to factor graphics into my review scores no matter how ugly a game is.

The sound design for the game is actually alright, although a bit quirky. It lends itself nicely to the gameplay, as you'll be able to hear random terrorists chit-chatting just around the corner or on the other side of a wall, letting you know that you're about to enter a room full of terrorists. There's a bit of a flaw here too, however. Often times you won't be able to hear enemy gunfire if you're around a corner or they're out of view, despite being literally 5 feet away from you or less. Again, another nitpick. It's not Battlefield, but that's not what you should be expecting.

The animation system is one of the parts where this game actually shines. The attention to detail on the weapon reloading animations is superb. All weapons are animated not only in first person, but also third person. Everything from the loading of individual shotgun shells into the magazine tube to loading another box of ammo into your LMG is painstakingly animated and you can tell they put a lot of time and effort into it. You can even see the little details like the magazines being swapped out and thrown on the ground in third person. It's quite amazing and I commend the animators for doing it, and I wish more games had this attention to detail.

The AI in this game is probably the worst aspect. Your two AI squadmates are pretty much useless in the game's 'realistic' difficulty setting. You're going to start feeling like you're babysitting them very quickly, and probably fail missions countless times because of them. They stick themselves in front of your crosshairs constantly, block your way constantly, accidentally friendly fire you or their other squadmate (which is an instant fail by the way, even if they shot the other AI squadmate), and generally will make you want to pull your hair out. The terrorist AI, on the other hand, is absolutely lethal. You are the three stooges, whilst the terrorists are basically an army of T-800-esque killing machines. They will kill you by staring at you, and then shoot a couple of bullets where you were standing for good measure. No, I'm not joking, they will actually do this. They'll also stick their gun through a solid wall and shoot you as well. You will die. You will die a lot.

Moving on to the gameplay part of the review, which is the real meat of the review, there seems to be a bit of promise. There is some quality here, you can tell that they at least tried. The weapons themselves are pretty standard in terms of function and control. There are various types firearms to choose from, with a selection of attachments for each. There are different pieces of explosives and equipment as well, including a (useless) riot shield. The single player story is literally just a bunch of nonsense that you shouldn't even pay attention to because it makes no sense. The levels are extremely linear and scripted. There is no replayability here, and beating it on Realistic difficulty is more a test of patience than a test of actual skill. The worst part is that the developers, for some reason, forced a checkpoint shortage into the game. This must have been baby's first game development project for the level designers. You will retry certain areas over and over again until the stars align and you make it through, only to die in the next room full of enemies and have to start over again from the beginning because you didn't get a checkpoint. Adversarial is a joke. Co-op Terrorist Hunt is probably the most fun game mode.

The sprawling levels like the glowing Fremont Street or the Hoover Dam open up Rainbow like it's never been before, and the result is a balanced shooter that is as much close-quarter combat as long-range head shots...The best first-person shooter on the Xbox 360.
  2. It's the game's multiplayer mode that will keep us playing Vegas for years to come. This isn't just the multiplayer game of the year, it may actually be the best multiplayer game in the whole Xbox 360 library.
  3. 360 Gamer Magazine UK
    Due to the easy-to-use squad control, advanced A.I., gorgeous visuals, realistic physics, and intense action, Rainbow Six Vegas is easily the best in the series. While the game has been slightly simplified - and is not a massive next-gen leap forward - the result is a fantastic, intense experience that few others can rival. [Issue 18, p.62]