8.5

1. Apr 17, 2013
    Tomb Raider is one of the more enjoyable experiences I've had in a long time on my Xbox 360. If you're on the fence about this one, buy it without any further hesitation. People frequently mention Uncharted when discussing Tomb Raider, but I think this game is better. It has beautiful graphics, fun gameplay, and interesting RPG elements that kept me interested in the game for 20+ hours.

It is very clear that a lot of effort went into planning, designing and creating this game. I hope to see a sequel, because I'll be preordering it immediately.
  2. Apr 16, 2013
    Having barely played Tomb Raider games in the past, I was very interested to see a reboot of the franchise that runs an origin story. This made it easy for me to decide to jump in and play an entire game to the end and see how it turned out. This Tomb Raider, which takes several cues from the best games of today, is absolutely fantastic. Easily one of the most cinematic titles I've ever played. The camera angles and treacherous environments all give a bit of a white-knuckle experience that I find more and more rare in games these days. I haven't embraced the multiplayer yet, but I bought this game for the story line and the single-player experience. I am very happy I did and look forward to what this franchise has to offer going forward. Expand
  3. Mar 25, 2013
    Just an absolute amazing game! I was so fearful that this was going to be mediocre, but wow, I was wrong. This game was a joy to play! The story was awesome! The characters and the acting was just as good. Seeing Lara change as the game went along was brilliant. The graphics was great also. The adventure/puzzling was also very fun. The movement and combat was smooth and just so much fun to pull off. I actually really felt every kill. Add to it that you could do some great stealth and finishing moves, and it made killing baddies even that much sweeter! I am not really a multi player guy so I am just judging this game on the single player. I did play multi player a bit and it is fun but nothing too special. You could just tell the developers put a lot of time and love into a game that was not easy to make. They had to keep the Tomb Raider feel but change it enough to show everyone that the series is back. Well done guys. You guys deserve every penny of what you make! A salute to you guys!! Keep up the great work. Expand
  4. Mar 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First, it's a good game. But veeeeery short. I ended it in 5,5 hours with 70% of the secrets completed. It's definitely not worth the 70eur that it costs, maybe 30. Graphics are good, the script has some inconsistencies (some guys punch Lara disfiguring her. 5 minutes later she's happy and totally ok. There are a lot of moments like this), and the QTE are very easy or very difficult, there is no middle. Some tombs are really uninspired, and too short all of them, although you'll have 5 minutes of medium fun in each one.
    There is only 1 boss, the final boss, that is ridiculously easy and simple in its killing mechanics. A game with too much hype that you will like, but not love
  5. Mar 19, 2013
    I feel like this was the Tomb Raider that everyone envisioned it should be after playing Uncharted, but it didn't do anything that exceeded expectations or raise the bar. It does a few things different, but much of the game is derivative. Good looking game.
  6. Oct 9, 2013
    Redefining what's possible on XBOX360, this game shows off next-gen graphics with absolutely flawless gameplay. The story is gripping, told with excellent voice acting, supported by a moving score and in a fully immersive manner I've never seen transitions between gameplay and in-engine "cinematic" done quite this well. The level design is cohesive yet varied it's remarkable how none of the levels feel like your usual copy/paste or cliched video game tropes. The story and action flow with a nice, natural pace. Puzzle mechanics are tightly integrated into the game world, they don't feel pasted on in terms of physics. Fighting is brutal, realistic and satisfying. I am very impressed with the results of being able to die easily and how it increases identification with the character. Weapons are varied, with resulting gameplay differences and individual upgrade paths that actually make physical sense! Incredible consistency, again contributing to immersion. There are moments in the game where the graphics will take your breath away, and there are some deeply satisfying moments in storytelling. I'll add that even the UX is fantastically well integrated with easy to navigate but fully integrated panels all the way through, none of your typical "let's rip you out of immersion and into some old-fashioned flash UX". All in all, the perfect game. I'll add that if this game had been called "The adventures of young Mary Jane" with no reference to the TR franchise, it'd still have been perfect. Tying it into the Croft Universe promises many great sequels and enriches what is already a game without peer. Thank you to the team who made this you achieved perfection :D Expand
  7. Dec 13, 2013
    I really enjoyed playing this game. They did a most awesome job with the animation as Lara moves smoothly from shooting to melee combat, and traverses obstacles with ease and grace. Switching weapons is perhaps the best I've seen in any game nowadays. Graphics are great, voice acting superb and the storyline is engaging. Collecting salvage was actually enjoyable seeing how you are a survivor and everything you find is needed makes sense, not just senseless scavenger hunts that I detest in most games. The only problem I had was that the QTE was overplayed in some boss battles for dramatic effect instead of letting the player decide how to fight. Overall, bravo! I hope this series continues in the next-gen! Expand
  8. Mar 13, 2013
    I'm appall on the review on this game i will never use metacritic ever again they simply lied this game suks all i can say is don't be fool by the hype like i did, i see they already erase most of the negative reviews already what a shameful practice and this site is a joke on reviews, this tomb raider reboot has zero replay, zero sercet to get if you completed at 100% which i might add is far to easy, puzzles are few and not a challenge at all, bosses nadda and not going to go into qtes its already been comment on but i very shock at the reviews from the professional and the people.....people can't really tell the difference between thumb down i see because this damn title fits the bill. I swear people get dummer by the day cuz this was not tomb raider this game was a complete joke. Recap the story is a joke the characters in the story is a joke Lara croft herself is a joke. but the kill part the joke is on me cuz i wasted my money on this and crystal dyn. is laughing all way to the bank along with some of these fake azz reviews. Expand
  9. Mar 31, 2013
    Tomb Raider is an origin story, that tries to reboot the franchise. And does it very well. The graphics are gorgeous, and Lara's characterization is wonderful. The game play still is the best of the package. The platforming and the fights are very well done, and the story is ok, with maybe some confusion. There are lots of things to do after beating the game, from the standard items that don't serve any purpose to documents that have information about Lara, her companions and the enemies. Other things that you can encounter are the Tombs, that are a lot of fun, and some items, that tell you information about this island. It's very welcomed that you can go to every part of the island whenever you want by going to a camp fire, in order to not forget anything secret. Probably the best game of 2013 to come recently. Expand
  10. Apr 5, 2013
    It's not very often that I would even consider giving a game a 10, but Tomb Raider earns it. Not only did Tomb Raider live up to my expectations, it exceeded them dramatically. This game has it all! Amazing graphics, great story, and fantastic gameplay. I often couldn't tell if I was watching a cut scene or playing the game! This is also one of the best Third Person Shooters I have ever played!
  11. Jun 7, 2013
    This is huge. The graphics are stunning and the story just as great. Surviving, defeating enemies and collecting documents and improving weapons have never been more interesting! This is Lara's greatest adventure and the best Tomb Raider to date.
  12. May 21, 2013
    Series reboots seem to be all the rage at present but Tomb Raider can certainly be held as an example of how to do it right. Series purists will argue that there is a little too much focus on combat at the expense of platforming but, for me at least, Lara Croft's first adventure struck mostly the right balance providing thoroughly enjoyable gameplay throughout is ten hour running time.

A promising start and I’ll certainly be looking out for the sequel.
  13. Mar 26, 2013
    Gaming doesn't get much better than this. Awesome graphics, nice and interesting story and superb gameplay. The only thing I can complain about would be the lenght, but that's always the case with exceptional games they always tend to be too short.
  14. Jun 24, 2013
    As not being a fan of previous Tomb Raiders, I gave this a shot as it was a reboot of the crappy stuff previously released. Overall, it's good. The collectibles arn't crazy hard to locate, the upgrade trees are extensive, and the combat system isn't bad with plenty of options. Definately worth a play.
  15. Mar 9, 2013
    Many people have dismissed this game saying it is nothing like classic Tomb Raider, well if you go back and play the original Playstation games you will see the gameplay is stiff and dated. What Crystal Dynamics have done with this reboot is bring the game and character of Lara Croft into the 21st century with style and gravitas. Lara is a much more believable character this time around, starting as a frightened castaway she grows and becomes a hardened survivor. The game play is solid and the shooting mechanics are some of if not the most enjoyable third person shooter controls I've played. It would have been nicer to have more Tombs to explore, but as a new starting point Crystal Dynamics have hit all the right notes. Definitely worth a purchase. Expand
  16. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, I thought this was an excellent game. Lara purists may be disappointed with the new game, arguing that it is not really a Tomb Raider game any more. However, I really enjoyed the reimagining of Lara, particularly the storyline. OK, so Lara moves from frightened post-graduate to cold-blooded killer a bit too quickly but, hey, this is still a videogame, people! There will always be plot-holes as story needs to make way for gameplay occasionally! In fact, I would argue that Crystal Dynamics currently "do" survival horror a lot better than Capcom and their very average Resi 6. Can't say I was sh*tting my pants too many times with Redfield et al, but I certainly was with Lara. The sense of danger is something I have not experienced for a while, and the satisfaction of stealth kills and clearing an area silently takes me back to the Kojima glory days of the PS1/2. Well done to Rihanna Pratchett and the other contributors for a great storyline. A modern and thoughtful take on a heroine and origin story.

I also liked the fact that there was a constant danger to your crew-mates. Moreover, we didn't get the stereotypical action-horror-movie ending where only Lara would survive a few crew members did survive with Lara. Where they didn't, the death scenes were often poignant and memorable. There seemed to be a reason for people to sacrifice themselves.

Combat is smooth. Some of the weapons seem to have a sprinkler system fitted to the end of the barrel but I guess that is to be expected when you have a levelling-up system attributed to weapons skills. You're a bit crap. The weapons are a bit crap. Spray happens. Played in on Normal and there were a few bits where I was sweating but nowhere where I felt that I was getting frustrated. If I get spotted and then cornered/rushed then that was my own fault and probably quite realistic in terms of my chances of survival being slim.

Collectibles are very addictive here. Some expand the storyline in interesting ways and I enjoyed finding them. Again, they never seemed to be in too-hard-to-reach areas as they have been in the past. e.g. an impossible jump leading to an invisible wall etc etc. That's the right level of challenge. The WWII stuff was particularly interesting.

Which leads me to the island itself. Yes a star in itself. Beautiful scenery and some amazing set-pieces. The ship graveyard and the climb to the top of the radio tower are obvious highlights. But the level design is a triumph easy to navigate, interesting to explore, and with the added bonus of being able to return with more powerful tools to find new locations within previous maps. Really well done to the level designers the island felt real, tangible and a bit spooky.

I quite liked the lack of supernatural enemies. It brought a "realness" and a grittiness to proceedings. Having to shoot a mummy with twin pistols can seem a bit far-fetched! The enemy AI was pretty good. The sub-bosses were interesting, challenging, without being frustrating. Mathias is a d*ck. 97% of people must have seen through his crap at the campfire with Sam we all knew he was a raging psycho from the moment we met him! Surely?

Is the violence over the top? Not for me. I am an adult gamer in his 30s who started gaming waaaaay back in the early 80s. I've grown up. I now want to play adult games. I don't care for titillation (though I do play DOA games! lol) but I do care about imaginative, well-structured storylines and characters. And if that means that we go to uncomfortable places then so be it. It's a crime that videogames are censored, or banned, in certain countries and we should be grateful to the BBFC for allowing the majority of content to stand in the UK. Unfortunately, the majority of politicians have no clue about the demographics of those people that play videogames. If movies can explore difficult and challenging subjects then so should videogames. I was appalled at some of the violence, and THAT rape scene (which wasn't actually as bad as it was made out to be), and I should be. We need emotion in videogames. I'm a human being, fairly well-balanced I think, and this helps to tell a story and craft memorable characters. We need developers like Crystal Dynamics to promote this idea that videogames are adult entertainment. I just hope that parents didn't buy this game for their kids thinking that it was akin to the old Tomb Raider games. Then again, they were pretty brutal back in their day anyway. Lara the killer! It was just the lack of graphics that made it seem less than it was.

To all those game developers who think that multiplayer is an important component of modern AAA games... IT IS NOT! Don't bother wasting time and resources crafting a MP addition to a game where it is unwarranted! You have wasted the time of obviously talented individuals and that time could have been better-spent on enriching the single-player experience or providing some decent DLC! [/rant] Thank you.
  17. Mar 10, 2013
    The characters in the game are awesome, the gameplay is great, the upgrading system is good too. The combat is awesome, melee fights and guns are great. Auto-save sucks, it doesn't save everything properly, so you can lose items and stuff (eg: weapons parts and discovered camps, found relics, documents, GPS caches, so you can't complete the game to 100%). The automatic healing ruins the game. Btw. auto-healing ruins EVERY games. It makes it so easy. It sucks. Gameplay 3/3; Warranty 1/3; Graphics 2/2; Sounds 2/2; Bugs -1; Slow map loading (like in GTA games if you drive too fast) -1; Auto-healing -1; Overall 5/10 Expand
  18. Mar 15, 2013
    Thouroughly enjoyable, excellent flow. Couldn't stop playing until I finished. Great visuals and audio. I would recommend to any fans of tomb raider, but also any fans of Arkham City as it borrows some of the great mechanics and ideas and puts them to great use.
  19. Mar 11, 2013
    Fantastic combat and platforming, with an engaging origin story. The level design is well engineered, the audio glorious and the visual absolutely awe inspiring. The attention to detail, purposeful set pieces and admirable lack of loading-stops really pushes the game from platformer to blockbuster action adventure. Though a little light on the puzzle element, sporting a shallow upgrade system and a rather forgettable multiplayer, Tomb Raider is an exciting, emotional and atmospheric reboot to what was a slowly stagnating series. Expand
  20. Dec 30, 2013
    Tomb Raider is an exciting, thrilling, and visually gorgeous action/adventure game starring Lara Croft. A girl who goes from being a struggling survivor of a boat crash to a hardened killer almost too quickly. After she is forced to kill someone she is shocked but next thing you know she is stealth killing like a trained assassin. The story is interesting even if some of the characters are two-dimensional and the journals found along the way add to the history and characters on the island. The gameplay is smooth and works just as well as Gears, Mass Effect or any other cover-based shooter. Overall, a really great game with few problems. Can't wait for a sequel! Expand
  21. Mar 8, 2013
    This is the Tomb Raider I wanted to play. Cinematic and engaging. This is game is well made. The game is not too long and not too short. The game is well paced without any crazy long fight scenes. The execution and game-play was very good. Beautiful graphics and good enough voice acting. I took off 2 points because the story should have been better. Something on the level of Metal Gear Solid. Other than that It was a well rounded good game. Expand
  22. Mar 15, 2013
    The visual aspect of this game and most of Laura's motions are amazing. I agree with most of the good reviews about this game and a few aspects of the bad reviews.

Strong Points: Amazing story, characters depths, scenery, general feeling, controls, puzzles (Actually speed, skill and timing to complete), Semi open world with backtrack after upgrades.
    Mediocre Points: Puzzles (Length and
    Difficulty), Close combat.

Although I do believe that the game makers of this game is saving more challenging Tomb Puzzles and "game-play" as some bad review mentioned til later game when Laura has more experience and is looking for a challenge rather then trying to survive, which this game depicted very well.

Overall a really good game worth playing.
  23. Jul 9, 2013
    Tomb Raider is outstanding. One of the greatest games I have played. It was a very memorable experience and I am looking forward to future Tomb Raider releases after this reboot.
  24. Mar 9, 2013
    Without EIDOS, Square Enix probably becomes a company that struggles to be relevant in the western world. Simply put, Tomb Raider is the best Tomb Raider since...the original Tomb Raider. A series that almost fell to obscurity, TR reinvigorates the franchise, so much so that it can stand shoulder to shoulder to another brilliant series that apes TR's original style to a hilt: the Uncharted series. TR's graphics is also a wonder to behold: using every tricks available to push this generation's systems to its fullest. Control is surprisingly great and Lara moves like a dream. Production values are great as well, with great voice acting on par with..the Uncharted series. While TR originates this style of adventuring, it took a lot of cues and improvements that Uncharted made in the past few years. The result: one of the best game of this generation. Expand
  25. Apr 25, 2013
    Thrilling story from start to finish, very fluid controls, beautiful graphics, character models and environments are near flawless. Very convincing voice overs. Dark and gritty, some very graphic violence may turn some people off. Campaign is a little short. Otherwise, near perfect game.
  26. Apr 18, 2013
    This game has a wonderful, memorable single player campaign. It lasted me for around a week and I thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough. There are several collectables and a few tombs to raid that help the open world feel more fleshed out rather than a marketing ploy. It's exhilerating to sneak around, silently taking down enemies. Also the game took a surprising turn towards the end. Without spoiling anything I loved the direction they took the game in the end. The multiplayer however, is rather terrible. It's playable if you really want to worsen your overall experience of the game, maybe some might even enjoy it, but I found it to be a pointless addition. Other than the multiplayer the game is completely worth every penny. Expand
  27. Mar 30, 2014
    It really wasn't that good. At the beginning you walk a bit, wolves attack, walk a bit, wolves attack, its very tedious. It doesn't get better. It is a short game that doesn't give a great experience. The shooting is good but it doesn't deserve the praise its gotten.
  28. Jul 2, 2013
    10/10: Excellent and fun game. No spoiler review: practically every element of this game is fun: exploring, the physics puzzles (and I usually dislike game puzzles), shooting, climbing, etc. If you like Uncharted but find it clunky you will love Tomb Raider because the gameplay is fun. The visuals and sound design are also excellent. There are many memorable moments of gameplay--the kind that make we want to replay a game every few years, like I do with the Mass Effect series. The only downsides: the story could have been better and some of the voice acting is flat (but they have few lines). Expand
  29. Apr 18, 2013
    This game it's so epic, already had long time if I not played a game like this. One of the best games of this generation! And why not all times? Congratulations!
  30. Mar 23, 2013
    If I were to expect anything better from this remake of an already good franchise, (from last-gen consoles anyway,) I'd be one greedy I kept in mind all my time I had put into the old games, how the controls would always seem to be clunky, but I mean, it was back in the day, when you couldn't really complain much, the only thing you could possibly complain about is the fact that you couldn't travel into the future to see where Lara Croft was going to end up! And so starting again with this game, it's absolutely phenomenal! I had one of the best gaming experiences with this campaign, the only other time I had this much fun was..well, my experience with playing Bioshock and Far Cry 3 combined. The story revolves around the dreaded Dragon's Triangle, a mysterious island with a legendary myth, they travel there by ship, and boom, not far after that, starts going down with just this giant storm coming out of nowhere. You start the game and already you can tell you feel like the damsel in distress, no joke, you could be one of the biggest security guards for a biker bar and you'd still feel like the damsel in distress, that's how hard it hits you in this game. The gameplay is awesome, the graphics are beautiful, almost would've loved to see how they would've looked on next-gen material, but wouldn't surprise me if they go somewhere else with this fresh start to a series. The sounds and FX all fit together and you actually grow with the characters and want to help them. You just see this helpless archeologist turn into an all out badass chick that takes situations into her own hands and saves the day..you know..not until she's taking a beating, of course. Deds to Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix, they deserve all the good ratings they receive and look forward to future endeavors with Lara. 10/10 Expand
  31. May 17, 2013
    This isn't really a game, more of an interactive cinematic experience. Everything you do is scripted and linear, it's almost impossible to die and you can't influence outcomes by your actions. You can complete huge swaths of the game by simply pressing forward on the gamepad and watching Lara pull off death defying moves traversing burning environments or parascending through dense forest, but it's all completely disconnected from your actions on the controller. The times you have control in the open environments are enjoyable, but unfortunately too limited by the requirement to progress the story.

The story is compelling, but I want a game with real gameplay and a Tomb Raider with challenging puzzles like in the old days...not an animated film/game hybrid with a sweaty controller in my hand.
  32. Mar 18, 2013
    This game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprising amount of depth makes this one of the rare games these days that take their adult players seriously. This game will certainly have to be a contestant for the game of the year awards. Expand
  33. Sep 22, 2013
    Enjoyable game with an above average story and great spectacle. Tomb Raider is the reboot of the famous series of the same name. It is about Lara Croft's first adventure, the one that defined her and turned her into the unshakable badass she is in the originals.

In terms of gameplay, this is a very good third person shooter with stealth elements, and some enjoyable platforming. Very
    similar to Uncharted in that respect. You only have four weapons which you can upgrade throughout the game, and while this may sound boring, what else would you want outside of a shotgun, pistol, bow and machine gun? A different type of machine gun? The gunplay is fairly good, nothing amazing, but above average. The shotgun feels strangely weak when you actually use it outside of blowing destroyable walls with it. The platforming is fun, and the more cinematic scenes work extremely well with the platforming. The game is not very difficult aside from a few scenes which are shockingly difficult out of nowhere, although it could be more due to my extreme incompetence. I have not seen hard mode yet. The game is linear in a branching world. You will always go down pathways as the storyline dictates, similar to the PS2 action adventure Kya: Dark Lineage in that respect. The game is covered in quicktime events, although they are pretty lenient, and you'd need to reactions of a sloth to fail them. It is nowhere near as bad as Resident Evil in that respect.

The soundtrack isn't incredible, with only a few great tracks, the rest just being acceptable.
    The graphics are nothing special, even for 360, but with how wide and open the areas appear (they are not actually wide open outside of the forest areas, which are pretty small) its understandable. The water effects look especially awful to a laughable degree.
    Story is above average, with great writing. It's heavily based around the supernatural tho, something not shown in the trailers.
    People have been complaining the platforming is way too easy compared to the old Tomb Raider games. Honestly, that's a good thing, they had stupid amounts of pixel perfect jumps in the old games, which were made worse by the delay before actually leaving the ground. Not going back to that is always a good thing in my books.

Overall, a great game worse playing, but it is nor the greatest game ever made nor a literary masterpiece. Just a really good game.
  34. May 4, 2013
    This game is fantastic, ive played the old tomb raiders before and they didnt really hook me, now Tomb Raider is more modern and it is sweet, alot of people are comparing this to Uncharted, but they are not really all that much alike. This game has a very unique story that isnt bad at all and will have you playing to see what happens next. This is a reboot of the series and the plot takes place as Laura Crofts first ever exbhibition, which is why at first she seems like a very broken women who cant handle herself.... well after about an hour into the game she is a killing machine capable of wiping out waves of dudes and becoming a serous threat to there plans. Gamplay is very good and is about the only thing that resembles Uncharted. Its a third person action game. There are alot of weapons to choose from but my favorite is the bow and arrow especially after you get the badass upgrade for it. And suprisingly its not a short game either there were a few times while i was playing it where i thought it was gonna end but it didnt, and there are alot of optional tombs for you to explore to get relics and extra xp, so replay value is present. As far as is the game worth the money or not... yes, yes it is. This game deserves all of the praise it has gotten and is a very worthy purchase. Expand
  35. Aug 11, 2014
    What happened to Tomb Raider? It simply turned into a game like Uncharted, but that's okay. There is nothing to worry about. This one is good too, wonderful, refreshing, and full of adventures too. The graphics are amazing. The new Tomb Raider is very entertaining and no less important than the previous ones.
  36. Mar 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Intense Moments, The Great Combat and The Skills and Weapon upgrades are Truly Great. This is one of the most Promising Tomb Raider Game I have Ever Played/ Expand
  37. Apr 20, 2013
    There's nothing else to say about this game. If you have a console go out and buy this.Uhmmm what else??? Well the weather is good...Playing videogames for hours makes me dizzy. Gonna go out and get some fresh air.
  38. Mar 23, 2013
    I loved every second of this game. Its so refreshing to have a sequel that does not suck for a change. So many games so much hype. This one lives up to it
  39. Mar 29, 2013
    Lara Croft has redeemed her name. I see great things in her future. Yes, there are some mostly painless QTEs, a few design quirks that break the immersion, as well as a clumsy multiplayer mode, but this truly is an adventure that is more than the sum of its parts.

The environments draw you in, the sound design is mostly spot on, and the controls are tighter than they've ever been, minus
    a few rough edges. The mix of semi-open areas and scripted events works better than I'd hoped, but I would love to see Lara's next adventure shed even more of the linear trappings of yesteryear.

As for Ms. Croft herself, her rebirth is one worth celebrating. Great voice work (for our heroine) and character development make her someone I want to care about, rather than just a vehicle for nerd wet dreams.

It's a memorable adventure that sets the scene for more things to come. Play it. As long as you aren't overly jaded over our girl's past, you'll love it.
  40. Mar 16, 2013
    Lara Croft's third reinvention (Legend was her second) tells once again a tale of Lara's past (The Last Revelation and Legend did so too), but this time Lara goes down a different route, and like James Bond in Casino Royale, we have something that's gritty, and ironically expected in today's modern trends, yet manages to pack a punch, and overcome her rivals. Of the presentation in the game, the biggest shock is the graphics engine that drives it; a true tell of how stunning this game is, is how most of the cutscenes in the game use the same engine, and the transition is often seamless (there are cutscenes away from the engine, but its for good reason) the game just looks gorgeous, and even if there are moments of slight framerate loss, they're few. The sound is predominantly located to effects (with arrangements occurring during key moments), but the effect is somewhat otherworldly, and it adds tremendously to the action and tension present. The gameplay is mainly third-person platform action with elements of combat infused heavily, and a lot of action moments where you're forced to use your reflexes or die rather fast. However, the stats-heavy implementation towards Lara, combined with the almost MetroidVania aspect of developing skills and finding new areas, is a genius touch Tomb Raider may not appear to be the biggest game ever (I'll come back to that!!), but the sheer amount of involvement in the various tasks adds considerably. Back to the length of the game (its very short), I consider this game along the lines of another favourite of mine, namely Vanquish by Sega and Platinum, in that it may have a short campaign, but the campaign is so packed with great moments, you will come back again, and the quality will just keep you coming!! Square Enix have taken a great deal of care with Hitman in Absolution late last year, and now they give us nothing less than brilliance with this. Tomb Raider is the best movie you'll see and play all year, and although it may not last long, it more than deserves to outstay its welcome. Nathan Drake no longer has the advantage, in my view Lara has regained the crown. Expand
  41. Mar 14, 2013
    The story was compelling. The pacing was excellent, fast frantic stretches and slower exploration segments. The majority of combat gameplay was acceptable.

The use of Quicktime Events was not. There are too many QTE's, especially in the first few areas, and many of them are bugged to hell and back. The gameplay programmer responsible was absolutely lousy at their job. Keypresses/button
    presses have to fall within a very narrow window of time and timing; too fast and it fails you, two slow and it fails you. Too many, and it fails you. Not enough, and it fails you. You have to do the keypresses with the exact same timing as the playtesters did.

Added to that is the problem of keypresses just plain not registering. All in all the quicktime garbage should have been scrapped for a real combat system. The repeated death animations are honestly very graphic and disturbing; This game should have been rated Adult Only for that alone.
  42. May 3, 2013
    Tomb Raider is one of the best games I've ever played. I loved it. I'm going to be very sad once I've completed this game. I can't see me finding another game I'll enjoy as much for a long time.

9.5 10

5 Stars

Excellent
  43. May 13, 2013
    Simply an excellent game. I spent two days off of work and finished the whole game because I couldn't stop going. The combat really shines as the game goes on, the visuals were beautiful, and the story was enough to keep you interested. Its games like these that should be the foundation for the next generation. Well done.
  44. Mar 17, 2013
    This is the first tomb raider game I have played and I made a great choice to play this one first. Firstly I usually play the first games in the series then work my way up to the most recent ones but as this is a prequel and a re-boot to the franchise I thought I wouldn't miss anything. The game is the most mature of the series as it is rated 18 and it has a serious and dark story which is equally engaging as it is great. The plot is Lara and the crew of the Endurance get shipwrecked on the island, know they want to escape but, as Lara soon finds out, there is something on the island that keeps them from leaving. Know this game has some fantasy elements which is a throwback to the old tomb raider games which fans of the series would love. The characters are good and have good voice actors/actresses, especially Lara, and the platforming is one of the best I have played. There are a lot of unlucky moments which happen to Lara and are very exciting to the player, which is fun to play. The graphics are good and up to date too if you are a visual gamer. Bottom line the gameplay is amazing, the voice acting and sound is great and the story is engaging and fun, I would recommend this to the fans and even anyone who hasn't played another tomb raider game, like me. I will be buying future tomb raider games and maybe go on amazon and buy some of the old ones too. 10/10 (btw Lara doesn't have gigantic boobs in this game so don't be disappointed by that) Expand
  45. May 2, 2013
    The game started out a bit rough around the edges. The introductory stages weren't very interesting and it wasn't clear that you'd have to revisit these areas to access all areas. Once you get most of the critical mobility abilities, though, the gameplay really seats itself and reveals how enjoyable it was intended to be. The plot is on par with any Uncharted game. The facial detail on the characters during cutscenes leaves much room for improvement, but it's not so bad as to be off-putting. Close quarters combat could use a bit of refinement. Personally I'd like to see more puzzle solving and less combat, but I was having fun doing both. I will certainly play the next installment in this rebooted franchise. Expand
  46. Mar 17, 2013
    One of the highest productuion values on consoles, very well directed with stunning visuals and sound. There's no loading time in-game. Gameplay is very tight and a nice departure from previous titles on the franchise. The game is brutal, and when they say "tomb" they really mean it. Some locations could be on Morbid Angel or Cannibal Corpse's sleeve covers, and that's not exactly positive. The game can be disturbing at times, and the over abundance of enemies, altought commom place on the industry, seems like missed a oportunity for a more stealthy, strategic combat. Even so, a perfect exemple of how advanced videogames have become and systetises what this whole generation of gaming has been. Expand
  47. JEK
    Mar 18, 2013
    This game is great. Good graphics, nice story and gameplay. Lara Croft is vulnerable on this game (unlike from its predecessors). Great narrative. Buy IT!
  48. Mar 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So a new Tomb Raider game. TR is indeed a reboot but also a prequel, I think. At the start of the game it really reminds me of Far Cry 3, because Lara and her friends have been kidnapped by pirates or something. When you finally get Bow and go off to the forest, you might think: Now this reminds me of AC3 because I have a bow and an axe and a pistol, but however the glitches in TR are so annoying that it toke me a whole week until I could continue the story, the glitch was a huge problem. Now the graphics in TR good especially for the PC, the multiplayer not as good. The villain in TR is really good, because you don't think that he would be a bad guy and try to kill you and your friends. TR is really enjoyable but I doubt it is the best game of 2013. 8/10 Expand
  49. Mar 27, 2013
    This game has lived up to the billing it was given at E3 last year. I had played the Uncharted series before, and as an Xbox owner, the Uncharted series were the only reason I was a little bit jealous of what the Ps3 library had. That is most certainly no longer the case. The Uncharted series has been one upped in so many ways by this game. Graphically, story wise, controls, puzzles, characters, collectibles, scenery, controls, gunplay...........just plain better in all ways that I can think of. The multiplayer is a throw in and brings a a minor amount of amusement, but probably only for the achievements. Otherwise, this reboot of a franchise I had not been interested in since my PC days back in the 90's is amazingly great. No complaints outside of a dull multiplayer experience, which, no one I know would be buying this game for that type of experience anyway. Expand
  50. Mar 20, 2013
    I rented this game off of redbox so i could test the waters. The Tomb Raider franchise is such a mixed bag I felt it prudent to test drive this before buying. I picked this up a week and couldn't bear to bring it back because it was so good. The Controls are so tight and intuitive I had no trouble mastering all Lara's cool abilities. The RPG style abilities and weapon upgrades are a welcome addition to this game. Just and FYI the the dodge+attack finish move while using the bow is awesome. The Map design is clever and the graphics are as good as they get. The game itself felt a bit short if your paying 60 dollars retail for this so I will wait for a game+dlc bundle if I was going to purchase. I played one Multiplayer game team deatchmatch and wasn't really impressed by it. Multiplayer really didn't matter to much to me personally because I wanted this game for the single player campaign only. The story and characters were entertaining and definitely added something positiive to the experience. Overall I give this game a 9/10 as everything was great with the exception of the blah multiplayer and length of campaign(even counting my time spent fetching optional items). Anyone getting this game will not be disappointed Expand
  51. Mar 8, 2013
    I hate to compare this to uncharted, but it is all most impossible, but this should be seen as a complement. This game does every Uncharted does, and in my opinion much better. The story is great, and it had me interested from beginning to end, Lara is played brilliantly well, even if her transition from average girl to full blown badass is jarring. It plays great, the combat, to my surprise is very enjoyable. The cover system is one of the best I have seen, it's seamless and never slows down the action, the guns and bow feel great. The platforming is simple, and not to challenging, but none the less it's still fun and make for some really great cinematic moments. The game defiantly is not as puzzle heavy as the previous game, but there are puzzles, and they are fun. The game looks fantastic, full of colour, varied environments and never noticed texture pop in, frame rate slows down sometime but never enough to ruin the experience.But Multiplayer is bad a poor man uncharted Expand
  52. Mar 15, 2013
    The best game of the series in years. The game is beautiful, and has excellent gameplay really memorable moments. Without doubt the franchise should follow that style in the next games.
  53. Mar 18, 2013
    A popular trend in the media right now is taking old franchises and either give them a reboot or remake. Now some of these are well done, but others fall flat. I can say with certainty that not only does Tomb Raider fall into the former category, but it is one of the best games I have played so far in 2013. When I first played the original Tomb Raider at my cousin’s house in 1996, I was introduced to Lara Croft and really enjoyed it in more ways than one. Then she was a buxom superstar who was an expert in her field, basically a female Indiana Jones. However over time, she became less and less popular and her games were just not the same. So like all things that were once popular, she called for a reboot and not just any kind of reboot, a gritty reboot. People now more than ever don’t want superstar heroes, they want a hero who has to face an overwhelming amount of odds. Gritty Reboots are the most popular form of reboots, just look at how many movies and games have been receiving the gritty reboot recently, examples include DmC, The Amazing Spider-Man, and even the upcoming Man of Steel. The new Tomb Raider does go full on gritty, but it does so in an amazing fashion.

The Tomb Raider stars a young Lara Croft who is part of an expedition to search for the lost civilization of Yamatai. However things go wrong as a storm causes their boat to sink and strand Lara and her group on a mysterious island that holds many secrets. Lara is quickly captured by a mysterious man as she approached her fellow survivors. She then wakes up in some sort of ritual chamber, suspended upside down next to a few skeletons. She is able to escape and soon she is forced to make her way through the island both discovering its secrets and also trying to find a way save her fellow expedition mates and get off the island. Oh boy does Lara suffer, in this game. Throughout the game she receives her fair share of scrapes and bruises. The player roots for Lara, as she is just an ordinary woman thrust into extraordinary circumstances. As she learns to adapt an survive, she grows from this naive reluctant woman, into this badass heroine who kicks all kinds of ass. Not only is the story of this Lara amazing, the character development in this game is amazing as well.

While the story and character development are well done, so is the gameplay. The controls for this game are simple and intuitive. One of the flaws of the original games was that the controls were quite clunky and multiple times I would find myself fighting the camera angles. Not once in this rendition of Tomb Raider did I find myself fighting with the camera, as it oriented itself quite well as I ran through the various platform sections. Oh boy did I love the platforming in this game. Most of the sections are well done and surprisingly on the more cinematic sections, I wouldn’t even realize I should be moving as I thought it was all part of a cutscene. I liked the good mix of omg I’m running for my life and ok where do I go next. Another well done aspect of this game is the combat system. Being an archer myself it is cool to see Lara trade in her former trademark pistols for a bow and arrow. Lara in this game fights her various enemies, be they man, wild, or other, with a bow, pistol, shotgun, machine gun or ice axe. The different environments and amazingly well done cover system lend to many dynamic fights.

Let me tell you about the amazing visuals! Man oh man, were they breathtaking. I was playing on the 360, but I could only imagine them being absolutely stunning on the PC. The environments this game presents are simply jaw dropping. The grand shots establish a sense of grandeur about the island and the small up close shots convey a sense of claustrophobia as Lara struggles to get through the nooks and crannies of a dark dank cavern. As stated earlier the tombs were some of the best parts of this game. Not only was i excited to solve the mysterious of each one, but I was also excited by the prospects of what they would look like. Not once in this game was I disappointed in the visuals and was always excited to see the new environments.

Overall I recommend this game for any fan of a good adventure game. After this massive success, I look forward to this new Lara and her upcoming adventures.
  54. Mar 20, 2013
    One of the most beautiful games i' ve ever seen. Beautiful graphics pc quality even on consoles, incredible animation and camera. My god this games is crazy and awesome. You have to play it in order to truly understand it's majesty. Must buy no matter what version. Incredible game!!!!
  55. Feb 3, 2014
    Adventure, action, history... Good game...................................................................................................................
  56. Nov 18, 2013
    A good reboot of the Tomb Raider series, everything was good apart from the ending which was very anti-climatic. Still the new cinematic style and personality that they have given the game makes it into a very enjoyable experience.
  57. Apr 4, 2013
    Brilliant. This reboot takes inspiration from games such as Uncharted, Far Cry 3, and even God of War, in order to create a truly unique and memorable experience. The relationship between the player and Lara is handled exquisitely. You have direct contribution in every action she makes, and the subtleties in the animations make her seem human. This is further shown as she hesitates to do things like walk across a log that bridges a gap, when Ezio or Nathan Drake would do it without a thought. She really is just a normal person. When she gets hurt, it's cringe-worthy to be a part of, because you feel a connection to this character. Weapon upgrades and levelling up at a slow, drip-fed pace help you see the gradual process of Lara's transformation into a survivor. Unfortunately, the second half of the game has parts that feel like just another mediocre third-person shooter, but they're few and far between. The environments are incredibly well done. Subtleties like scrawled writing on a wall or a hammock that's been crudely set up really makes the world seem lived-in, almost as if it was here before the game actually began. The combat is unique, to say the least. Lara is forced to fight dirty in order to survive. She doesn't do a fancy combat roll to dodge enemies, she desperately scrambles out of the way, throwing dirt into their eyes and striking them with her climbing axe. There is deliberately no style or flair which fits with Lara's character. The story begins pretty straightforward: Boat crashes on seemingly-deserted island. Survivors try to regroup and try to find a way to escape. But then it complicates and makes for an intriguing second half. The story doesn't win any awards for being innovative, but it sure is interesting enough to keep the player's attention. In terms of linearity, the campaign walks a fine line between a linear direction and free roam, allowing the player to revisit previous locations on the island via fast-travelling between camps. This isn't a simple replay of the mission, you can go back and get some of the many collectables and complete some of the abundant challenges that crop up through exploration. Expand
  58. Jun 8, 2013
    I bought this game (along with DIshonored, Far Cry 3, Halo 4, Bioshock Infinite, Call do Duty Black Ops 2, Call of Juarez Ginslinger, Tom Clancy Future soldier, and Medal of Honor Warfighter, along with a few others). I like Tomb Raider (so far) for what it is versus anything others think it should be. Tomb Raider is like Far Cry 3 but a little more puzzle-based (especially figuring out the right combo of buttons, stick movement), easier to kill foes, and a more linear based story. I dislike Halo 4 other than the breathtaking graphics. I play Black Ops 2, future soldier and gunslinger when I'm in a shooter mood with a little variety. But those times when I want a game similar to those games, but with more puzzle solving and less shooting and something more "simple", linear, Tomb Raider definitely solves the craving. It's a game that can leave you stuck on a section until you can get down the correct timing of pushing buttons on the remote versus stuck because of any strategic difficulty or killing of foe. i like this. All the games I've mentioned are worthy games I will never regret buying. Tomb Raider though is the one Game i play when it fits the right craving. I like the simple upgrading, the camp ground as the "shop" to do everything, the fire/torch to add a new twist, the ability to skip long sequences (although skipping them can leave a bit of initial confusion on what to do). There were a few frustrating times when the game didn't respond to the joystick movement which meant replaying a short (thankfully not long) kill sequence but this is really minor for a well done game which has kept me busy for several days already. I initially thought it might be a great game for my 10 year old niece but the deer hunting/gutting were a small, small amount of upsetting for a 10 year old (she likes fable 3). This game is fun and it's a game I enjoy playing for a few hours before switching to another. The graphics were slightly less sharp than I wish (I really like Far Cry 3). Since both games have a very, very high radio tower to climb, you can see the difference when climbing to the top (Far Cry 3 will leave you breathless). For the $30 I payed for Tomb Raider on demand, it was definitely worth the money for the entertainment so far even if the story does drag on a bit and there are some lengthy cut-scenes. Still, it's like watching a descent adventure movie where I get to make a difference and solve some puzzles along the way that are not so horribly difficult that I can't come back to the game and eventually figure them out (unlike Metro 2033 and some other games where I get frustrated enough to put the game on the shelf until I have time to google how to solve the part I'm stuck on). Tomb Raider did a really nice job of taking an old, worn character and give her new life with a now 3rd person enjoyable game that makes you feel things that you should feel when playing this kind of game (i really dislike the older tomb raider style games). Like Far Cry 3, they did a lot of things right with this game which far out-weigh any minor flaws. I just wish they had done a little better with some of the graphics. They are like "almost" great but slightly shy of being mouth dropping awesome. Some scenes are worth seeing in the game while others seem to be average typical in a game. Expand
  59. Mar 9, 2013
    TOMB RAIDER! Who knew? This is one game that I didn't think would impress me and it did! There are a few issues with the game but for the most part it is a wonderful piece of work. Thanks guys at square enix and all. The only part of it I don't like is the button mashing sequences that don't really work well for PC format because of the layout of the keyboard. It's just too difficult to execute command button mashing in sequence that quickly without missing a keystroke or making a mistake. Which in turn makes the final battle almost impossible because there are WAY too many enemies coming at you from multiple directions and the button mashing sequences must be done "in sequence" upon command. OK, fine! It's just not that EASY! I don't know if I will be able to finish the game due to the difficulty in mashing the buttons in sequence. Of course, in time that may change.
    Other than that and the fact that the game is somewhat short, approximately 30 40 hours of gameplay, the game was well thought out and put together. The video is grand! The details are better! The story a bit far fetched but it's a video game that plays as almost real life. AWESOME! I won't get into technical details but like I said there are a few minor issues with the game but I still managed to give it a 9. I gave XCOM a 6 and SKYRIM a 7.5. I have heard some recent news that iNVIDIA display adapters are suffering from performance issues, they can't get it up! Well, I'm happy to say that I have an AMD Radeon HD 6870 video adapter and it performed flawlessly! Don't see any trailing or flashing, it's great! I had a lot of fun playing this game for the first time!
    Anyway, you gamers out there in Tomb Raider land, the one's with the robot fingers, let me know how you fare with the button mashing. I am usually very hypercritical with games but I really think this is a good one! At least I don't feel like I've wasted $54.00 on a game. Is it worth the money for maybe 40 hours of gaming? This is one of the few where I'd say YES! Check it out!!!!!
  60. Apr 14, 2013
    Great action and story and presentation. The only prob I had with the game is the frustrating QTE bits. This sort of game play went out of fashion ten years ago. Fortunately, the rest of the game over powers this odd anachronism.
  61. Mar 31, 2013
    Reboots are generally a scary thing. We wonder whether our memories of the first games will be wiped out by a less than par successor. I was wrong. This game goes above and beyond the first games, to the point where this and Bioshock are my games of the year so far. Lara has been captured perfectly, the scenery in and visuals in the game are stunning. Whilst we do get QTEs, this does not effect the flow of the game. I really hope to see a sequel as this was one hell of a memorable ride. Square Enix, you've done me proud Expand
  62. Apr 29, 2013
    Great improvements make this game superior than its predecessors. Though not on par with the last 2 Uncharted games, it has greater depth in its gameplay and personally i like better the grim style.

It's in the path of the Uncharted series as a cinematic experience and has kept some gameplay elements from previous TRs. It's spectacular and a thing of beauty to watch (some of the best
    graphics on the X360), technically proficient and has some great physics. The combat is hate/love, but it suits the neurotic situation and the character of the unexperienced Lara (though she kills a lot of bad guys...)

If it had some more climbing to do, some more of the great physics puzzles (a lot more actually) and a more sturdy combat, it could have been perfect.
  63. Mar 10, 2013
    A very enjoyable game to play mechanically; level design and controls interact in expert harmony. Ultra-violent gameplay/combat and a dark, insidious setting are juxtaposed against a story written to be palatable for a 6-year old. The new Tomb Raider.
  64. Jun 14, 2013
    Very nice reboot over the Tomb raider franchise.

It's like a mix between uncharted and batman franchises, picking the best of their latest games.
    The story is entertaining, the exploration and secrets are interesting enough to look for them and technically it's top notch.

Quite recommendable!
  65. Mar 21, 2013
    I don't like playing a game as a woman. I find no empathy at all with the character. In fact I start thinking about things like tampons, boobs and having to squat to take a whiz. Chauvinistic, probably... but I am not a girl and being forced to play as a girl is kinda annoying. As I imagine it is for a girl having to play as a boy. I thought I would be able to look past the gender of the character but I can't. I bought the game because of the inclusion of a bow and arrow, I like games with those sort of mechanics. While the game itself isn't bad I just can't reconcile in my mind some of the things that happen. Like Lara upset at one moment about killing a deer, next minute pops off bad guys ten to the dozen with no signs of remorse. A female hero doesn't float my boat, never has and probably never will. The only thing that would peak my interest, so to speak, on this game would be if I could play as Lara but naked. I have never liked the Tomb Raider franchise, so buying this was probably a mistake from the start,. Just heard wonderful things about it so thought I would check it out. But the game to me is soured in the first half hour, so many quick time events that it was boring. I wanted to play the game and it was stopping me from playing. Didn't like that at all, though it gets better game it's sort of already spoiled in a way. I had already lost interest. Expand
  66. Apr 25, 2013
    Best game i have played this year, and is in my top 5 all time games. I am a fan of the uncharted series and I really appreciate the direction tomb raider has gone with this by implementing the more realistic movement & weapon system. Single player is perfect with a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat as well as constant unique gameplay events thats mixes it up great. The multiplayer however is laggy and this really affects the gameplay hopefully they will fix this with a patch but as a result they fall short of 10/10 Expand
  67. Mar 18, 2013
    I'm shocked to say that I really like this game. In case you're wondering why, I've never been a fan of the Tomb Raider series, and when previews of this game started cropping up I immediately wrote it off as an Uncharted clone and had no intentions of playing it. Boy was I wrong. Gameplay, Story, Characters: it's all there, and it's very well done. Having an island that you can traverse at your will (once unlocking areas) and return to in order to get out of reach items with new skills is just genius for this type of game. Upgrading weapons, unlocking new skills/abilities, and wandering off the beaten path to explore caves and work puzzles has never been better. Action sequences come in spurts and are violent and chaotic, and perfectly capture the nature of this game. This is exactly the type of game play that Uncharted 4 needs to succeed. Play this game buy it, rent it, borrow it, do whatever you have to, but if you enjoy action games, this one is definitely for you. Expand
  68. Mar 14, 2013
    The original TR games should be written off. Much in the same way as the original Batman films. This is a very, very good game. No hidden agenda here, i just like playing good games and have been for 30 years!
    Anyone who rates this less than 7 is working for the sun queen! Seriously, best game I have played for a while. Just wish the map was bigger, maybe open world, with more tombs to
    explore but I understand the limitations of the current generation consoles. Can not wait for the next one. Expand
  69. Mar 10, 2013
    There are very few games that I would consider worthy of a '10', but Tomb Raider is one of them.
    The main reason is that it fully accomplishes what it sets out to do in just about every respect. The gameplay, while not necessarily groundbreaking, innovates in all the right places-- from the flawless movement mechanics that encourage fluid exploration, to the solid 3rd-person combat
    mechanics that does away with traditional 'press a button to lock onto cover' system, to the almost invisible camera that seamlessly transitions from close up claustrophobic spaces to expansive vistas. The innovation here is subtle but the developers seem to have made all the right decisions.
    Along with the exploration that players have come to expect from traditional platformers, they've added RPG elements in the form of skill and weapon upgrades that not only add depth and meaning to exploration, but serve to support the narrative by making Lara Croft gradually become closer to the tough character she will ultimately grow into.
    The combat mechanics are tight and easy to pick up quickly, aided by careful level design that challenges the player while never being frustrating-- something that many games seem to forget to do properly.
    The auto-cover system makes the combat feel refreshingly different from games like Uncharted or Gears of War since the player is always able to fluidly move between cover without ever feeling stuck. The combat spaces tend to encourage vertical movement as well, rewarding players for well-timed jumps and dodges and making Lara seem that much cooler for developing her climbing skills. Also, the enemy AI was surprisingly smart-- playing the same combat scenario by 'restarting from last checkpoint' made me realize that there are so many ways to approach combat. Enemies do such a great job of adapting and reacting to your combat style that you can tell the designers spent a lot of effort to make each setup play many different ways.
    The environments are harsh and unforgiving yet hauntingly beautiful-- whether you're underground or atop a mountain cliff side, there just so much to look at that it never gets stale. This also really made me want to keep playing just to see what was next.
    While I didn't love all the characters (particularly some of the voice work on some lesser supporting characters), nothing stood out as jarringly bad and the story actually kept me interested to play to the end. It's helpful to note that finding journal entries and other artifacts really helps fill in the holes of the story. In other words, don't just skip everything and rush to the finish line-- it'll be worth the time to listen to backstory.
    Lastly, the audio is amazing. Not just the score, which is beautiful, but every little thing in the world makes just the right sound and it really immersed me in the experience.
    Lastly, give multiplayer a chance! I've only played a small amount but there's actually enough innovation there to make it feel unique and fun. Interesting game modes, unique weaponry, setting traps, and fun team-based gameplay are just a few things that will make me play some more for sure.
  70. Mar 30, 2013
    Tomb Raider... Forth coming and engaging title for a game like this. Puzzles, action, platforming, beautiful island landscape, and Laura Croft. This game has a few was to describe it, both good... but also bad. Bad? Yes, this game is not flawless, but it has it's high marks for action and adventure, but when it comes to story and characters it drops slightly. Action can be powerful, but very linear. Adventure is open and wonderfully dynamic. But story moves oddly throughout the campaign and can be seen coming from a mile away to as it progresses. Characters are like cardboard and use a ungodly amount of psychology in their speaking, making them as bland as the lead characters from Dead Island. Laura is still young and new to this, but her character is just as bland. Other things of concern is the oddity of enemies: Turns out they are all shipwrecked and abandoned people who turned into prisoners of the island, but they are all well supplied with WWII and ancient Japanese weapons that they come out of the woodwork like they are infinite little bugs going up against a untrained and unconditioned 20 year old female that can seemingly murder then by the dozens... or thousands. It's obscene to think that many people actually live there... on a tiny island... with unlimited fuel and ammo... all men... and are at war with an unknown enemy that could kill them easily. Sorry to say, but with great adventure and platforming, comes linear combat, characters made of cardboard, and expecting storyline. Expand
  71. Mar 10, 2013
    Tomb Raider set out to be an origin story, to reboot the franchise and it has completed that goal above and beyond. As every origin story should it provides in amazing detail the changes of Lara Croft through her adventures. Tomb Raider appeals to everyone, fans of adventure games, fans of Lara Croft and fans of video games. This reboot is a must buy.
  72. Mar 12, 2013
    I'm going to keep this short and sweet. This is the most enjoyable campaign experience I've had in a LONG time. And I've played all the top rated titles. I used to play the old games, and while they were good for their time they had their flaws. This is my favorite Tomb Raider by FAR. Great smooth game mechanics and handling. Very good graphics and story. Nice balance of fighting, exploring and puzzles. Honestly this is the first single player campaign in years I couldn't stop playing because it was so engrossing. Definitely go buy this game if you like to be immersed in a journey. It deserves a metacritic rating in the 90s for sure, Walking Dead got a 92 and it doesn't hold a candle to Tomb Raider. 10 out of 10! Expand
  73. Mar 10, 2013
    One of the best video games of last years... everything is great except a few of parts for upgrade. Therefore in the end the only variant is to kill deer’s and hares. Somehow it not humanly
  74. Mar 10, 2013
    This is my first review on here but I've played a large number over the years and always refer here for real user reviews. Tomb raider is a fantastic game. The cut scenes are often so well done that sometimes you are not sure if you are controlling the character or if it is a short cut scene. The environments although dark at times are very fun and interesting to work your way through. I would compare the gameplay so much to my favorite franchise with the batman arkham series. The use of different weapons and tools opens the world up throughout the game so that you have many opportunities to continue to explore. The mechanics are great once you get used to them. The only problem I had was with the timing of when you are supposed to hit the counter buttons. Other than that it has the great first person qualities of the best games, some decent although pointless customizing of skills (you have to upgrade almost everything before you open up the final tier of skills), and exploring of a simple open work although it is not fully open.

The only real complaint that I have is that the intensity goes from very high to very low. The moving over ledges and cliffs is nice but did not seem to feel like I had to be very skilled to manage it. There is little by way of timing with different buttons. You have to try this game. From the start, you are thrown into a fun story!
  75. Mar 11, 2013
    Tomb raider reboot is outstandingly done. This game delivers intense cinematic feel which helps the immersion and compliments the experience. Encountered a graphics during the large combat scene but this does not take for the overall experience. If you still wonder about picking this game up. Take this suggestion. Its worth it. Thank you for your time.
  76. Mar 11, 2013
    Long time veteran of the medium Lara Croft is no stranger to adventure, but in Crystal Dynamics new origin tale, we aim to achieve a closer relation to the newly redesigned heroine, and simultaneously bring a game long known for its puzzles and adventurous platforming into the new age of video game storytelling, all without sacrificing the tomb raiding the game built it’s name upon. Does this new Lara possess the ability to tell a hero’s tale and maintain the things that make Tomb Raider what it is? Well what came first, the chicken, or the egg?

No, we’re not getting into a lesson in Poultry. The reason i say that is the immediate feeling I got from the new Tomb Raider, much as I expected, was distinctly Uncharted. Of course, as anyone who has played Uncharted can attest to, it clearly took a heavy influence from at least the general outline of a Tomb Raider game, and added the flash and story that was needed to bring it into this generation of games. How did it feel like Uncharted than? Well Uncharted is the only game I’ve played in which it truly feels like you’re playing through an action/adventure film, and while sometimes taking its narrative hand a bit far and being criticized for forcing you along a designated path, some story’s are best told in that manner, and I get the feeling early on that Lara’s transformation from everyday woman into hardened survivor is best told in that very way.

From the games opening sequence it is clear it is going for a feeling of immersion. To say honestly that for the first time since the original Bioshock, I was blissfully unaware that I was in control of the character, and sat there for a moment wondering why nothing more was happening, makes me happy as a game opening can make me. Not because it’s a silly way of showing how impressive their in engine cinematics are, which even running on the consoles near decade old hardware are stunningly seamless. But rather for the fact that it truly feels as if it is a baton pass from narrator to player, which is rarely handled so well in this sort of affair. The island is also brilliantly well designed, feeling as if based on actual existing rock formations for how organically beautiful it all feels when the waves crash upon them, and how casually lara squeezes through tight spaces that in most games would be a convenient gap in the mile long rock wall. While not entirely open world, it never feels as if I am being forced on my path, but rather that I am compelled to continue that direction for honest curiosities sake.

I need to get my major gripe out of the way, because while initially jarring, doesn’t negatively impact the game experience I got in the end. Crystal Dynatics made it clear that this is the tale of Lara’s transformation into a survivor- but the gameplay takes a stark contrasting twist a short way into the game when you go from someone who struggles to handle the thought of murdering an Animal for the sake of survival, to someone who, seemingly without much thought, can blow up a barrel, igniting a man into flames until he ceases to live, and continue on her journey without hesitation. Again, while initially jarring to make such a leap, I understand from a gameplay perspective why they felt the need for not only a decent enemy population, but also a good variety of options for personal or environmental takedowns, and it does not take away from the fun i had with the game. That said, I do sadly feel that while fun is the reason I play games, I love a solid execution of storytelling, and the contrast in narrative against gameplay in this case does nothing but damage the experience i had feeling like i was becoming a survivor.

The general platforming is a ton of fun, which is good because the majority of the game consists of trying to figure out the best way to traverse each environment to get where you need to get to, using the tools you’ve been given. This is truly the high point of the game. Uncharted had a bad habit of assuming its players are a bit more on the casual side, which i understand for a certain accessibility standpoint. Tomb Raider pulls no punches at making you think as if you were in Lara’s shoes, holding Lara’s tools, trying to navigate your environment in the safest and most efficient way possible, though they are rarely the same route. The feeling you get when you look back and realize how far you’ve traveled, in awe of how on earth you got there or could ever begin to get back down, is near unrivaled.

While taking away from the notion of someone truly being out of their element, it needs to be said that the combat system built here is both fun and visceral, and although the first few times you see yourself go down in a stunning exposition of violence may put a few people off at first, it does make you feel the impact as bit more. Avoiding such... Full Review: goo.gl/JkYXf
  77. Mar 11, 2013
    Without question, this is the best entry in the series. It controls smoothly and the action is exciting and intense. Camille Luddington gives the most emotional performance as Lara Croft so far. I've ignored the Tomb Raider series since Chronicles but this brought me back into it and now I can't wait for Square Enix's continuation of the series. I hope it remains in their hands for a long time.

There are flaws, like the plot and especially the antagonists being fairly weak. However, I overlooked these issues in gratitude for finally getting a Tomb Raider game that didn't collapse due to horrible controls and muddy graphics that made solving puzzles nearly impossible.
  78. Mar 11, 2013
    The new Tomb Raider is amazing. I am not a big fan of third-person games in general. However, this game is incredibly fun to play and is very accessible if you're more of a first-person shooter type of player. The action and story are very engaging and you'll find it hard to put down once you've familiarized yourself with all that's possible. The learning curve is very short which means you'll platforming across massive environments for hard to find treasure and embedding your climbing axe into the skulls of those less fortunate very quickly. This game is very violent, and there is something strangely invigorating about dodging a melee attack and stabbing your enemies knee with an arrow, so you can lay the final blow to their head the cut scenes are fantastic. The mechanics are great, and I have no bad things to say about this game. If you've enjoyed any of the newest Batman games I highly recommend you pick this up. Potential Game of the Year. Expand
  79. Mar 11, 2013
    A masterpiece. It certainly beats my expectation over my extremely high expectation on games reboot. It is easily the best game of the year 2013. can't wait to have a second game from Crystal Dynamics.
  80. Jun 21, 2013
    Everything has to have a reboot these days, so now it’s Tomb Raider’s turn. Granted, if a franchise was ever in serious need of a new take on it, it most assuredly is the Tomb Raider franchise. Now, I like the Tomb Raider games and have enjoyed all of them (with the exception of Angel of Darkness, though it had some good ideas), but let’s face it, the franchise was getting a bit long in the tooth, so I applauded Crystal Dynamics when they told us what the game was going to be.
    So, is the end result any good or is it another Angel of Darkness?
    Luckily the answer is that there is no Angel in sight! As a matter of fact, it’s a damn fine game.
    The first thing that strikes you, is how different the style is from the other games of the franchise. Lara is no longer the carefree, thrill seeking, overly confident action heroine we have gotten used to and love. Now, she is a somewhat naïve, adventure seeking, young, insecure, vulnerable woman who finds herself in a kill or be killed struggle for survival. A special shout out has to go to Camilla Luddington playing Lara who manages to perfectly mesh together the young Lara’s vulnerability and insecurity with the “kick butt and take names” attitude of the old Lara, making her quite a credible and sympathetic character to play.
    The gameplay has also changed somewhat as the caves and ancient ruins, though they are there, have largely been replaced by mountains, woods and more modern structures, all adding to a more gritty overall style. The shooting has been vastly improved. Rather than the lock-on system of old we now have the very familiar controls of any third person shooter, which to me is a good thing as I always found the shooting to be the weakest part of the Tomb Raider franchise, making the shooting sections a lot more satisfying. This fact combined with overall good and responsive controls, reasonable enemy AI, interesting and varied levels to explore and some good characters and an at least interesting story (if not close to original) which is extremely well presented, you’ve got one of the best games released in 2013 so far.
    However, I do have a few problems with this game.
    The hunting aspect is used only once. The rest of the “hunting” is not to get food, but simply to gain experience which seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. Why emphasize her first kill of a deer to get food, when it’s not used throughout the rest of the game? I know this scene is used more for character development than anything, but when you then go on a killing spree, slaughtering animals left and right for no other reason than to gain XP, it undermines Lara as it seems a bit out of character, even if there is a limit as to how many animals you can viciously slaughter.
    Secondly, Crystal Dynamics unfortunately seem to have fallen into the “fear-of-people-getting-stuck-so-we-better-hold-them-by-the-hand-like-a-child”-strategy which seems to permeate all triple A titles today. The introduction of the all too pervasive “sixth sense”, enabling you to see all points of interest as fluorescent, takes the exploration factor straight out of a game which actually seems to WANT the player to explore. Rather counterproductive, I would say. What ever happened to the player being able find things on their own without fluorescent lights and holograms guiding them all the way? What are developers so damn afraid of? This is also unfortunately present in the puzzles. Everything that can be manipulated is of course highlighted, but to further dumb down the puzzle aspect (which isn’t exactly rocket science to begin with) Lara will constantly give hints as to what needs to be done. Well, not so much hints, as almost bloody telling you exactly what to do with what and how. Really, Crystal Dynamics? You actually found that necessary in a game which is obviously not targeted at children?
    Lastly, we have the “stealth” parts of the game, which are so guided they might as well have been cutscenes. They do a good job in regard to the story, but not in regard to gameplay as there really are no other places to go than the one the game wants you to. Deviate and die, CoD style. Yet another missed opportunity.
    All of these problems lead to my main problem with Tomb Raider. It’s simply way, way, way too easy. Throughout the entire campaign I died three times. Three! I’m not exactly a joypad wizard, so when 99% of the times I die in a game like this is because I actually wanted to in order to see the rather effective and quite horrid death sequences, then the game is extremely easy.
    Without said problems I would have no problem calling Tomb Raider a classic in it’s genre, but with them it’s just (and this is by no means a bad thing) a very, very good game which deserves a lot of attention and though it feels too guided at times, I still found it extremely enjoyable to follow Lara on her new journey. Now, if Crystal Dynamics could just let go of our hand and go all the way…
  81. Mar 26, 2013
    I have to say honestly best game I have played in a long time. This game is a must try you would not be disappointed. Very similar to uncharted in mostly every way however i think tomb raider is much darker. Its that good that im after all the collectibles in game and going for the 1000g i honestly cannot put it down. Go on give it a try you know you want to....;)
  82. Mar 15, 2013
    This game is awesome. I've never played any old tomb raider's games, and I didn't plan to get this game when it first came out. However, after checking a 20 minutes youtube play-through video, I felt the urgency to get the game on my hand, and turned out totally worth the money and the time. After Mass effect 3, my interests in video game reached a low point, all video publishers treat us as cash-cows and release unfinished/unpolished product. Finally, tomb raider makes me want to play video game again. and I have tons of WTF- that's so awesome moments when playing this game. In a way, I love Lara more than brain-dead Shepherd in ME3, that's how good the character development in TR. The combat is solid and fun to play. I have zero trouble with QTE, when the ring is on waiting for the 'Y' to show up, then press 'Y', i am not sure how anyone can miss it and think it is too hard. The story, well, is so-well done, after I finished the game I felt 'OK, it is possible again for video game to tell a COMPLETE story in a satisfying way'. You can feel that the developers put so much love in this game. Expand
  83. Mar 23, 2013
    Most beautiful Lara ever created...thanks to camilla luddington for lending voice & character .Engaging Music...Camera view is apt..very good story line.. Story of How young lara with no skills and weapons becomes skilled survivor Tomb Raider is clearly depicted all together make game engaging involving interesting Fantastic Job and great effort by Square Enix Its worth the wait of 2 years since first awesome lively trailer

Best of Tomb Raider game ever till date..

10hr of engaging gameplay

Prince Of persia and TOmb Raider go hand in hand..if u miss the former,later can also be an alternative
  84. Mar 17, 2013
    All I have to say is wow. Overall with the 11 hour Campaign, it was pretty awesome. Both Multiplayer and Campaign have very good Graphics, Interfaces, and Animations. I have to say, that this game is good how it does Free-Roam and Story Mode put together, Love it.
  85. Mar 17, 2013
    I honestly wasn't sure what I would think of this reboot of Lara, but I ended up really liking it. My biggest problem with it was the quick time events, at times it felt like there was to many. Mostly this comes from failing a number of them several times and having to repeat them cause I wasn't able to hit the correct button quickly enough leading to Lara's death, as I've never been great with qt events. I really like the over all story and the fact they stuck with Lara's history of dealing with mystical things. Combat felt good to me loved using the bow quickly became my go to weapon for most long range fights even after getting other weapons like the pistol, or rifle. Expand
  86. Mar 19, 2013
    I enjoyed every minute with this game. The story was great and the action was top notch. My only complaint is that the pace of the story wasn't consistent throughout. The last half of the game slowed down and there were very few big set pieces. Must buy!
  87. Mar 20, 2013
    Tomb Raider is an exhilarating experience from beginning to end. It's beautiful, packed with action, and sets itself above all other releases right now.

From it's interesting characters to even more fascinating enemies, this game's characters shine. Especially Lara, who's new younger personality was very exciting to play as, as she comes to terms with the terrible reality she and her
    crew are facing.

The Tomb Raider series desperately needed a reboot, and they completely exceeded expectations with this one. The combat is fun and brutal, and perfect balance of difficulty where the weapon you choose is just as important as how you use it.
    This game will have you on the edge of your seat with each jump, and continue to impress you with many, many explosive action sequences. By far my favorite game of 2013 so far!
  88. Mar 20, 2013
    "TOMB RAIDER is an excellent reboot of a gaming icon that proudly celebrates the character that started the action genre to begin with. Lara Croft is a strong, believable & badass character that proves there’s room for the opposite gender in a genre overpopulated by male action heroes.

It’s a brutal game that showcases a young woman braving the elements to survive & become the character
    that fans worldwide have loved for years. It’s not only a fantastic action adventure game with beautiful environments, music & game design but a compelling character piece that proves that this is a series to watch out for.

TOMB RAIDER is a bloody good time, anyone looking for a great semi-open world adventure should definitely look into this. It’s amazing."

Read my full review: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6EyfkoZaI
  89. Mar 21, 2013
    Fan boys can say what they will that this is a horrible game that doesn't represent the old Tomb Raiders. Thing is, this is next gen. Game developers are moving on and working with the hardware they are given. Many developers are not doing a good job with bringing their old games forward.

This Tomb Raider was amazing. It's rare for me to actually play a game nowadays that I am
    completely satisfied with. I had no complaints. This was a good story/plot and was exciting all the way through. It was like watching a movie that I get to interact with.

Seeing Lara Croft more down to earth and real was enjoyable. For those saying this game is linear, you are incorrect. This was far from it. Every game with a story has to have certain paths you take and certain scripted events. If Tomb Raider is "Linear" then so is Skyrim. When you take on quests in Skyrim you have to follow certain paths just like Tomb Raider. When you are following paths you come across various dungeons and special activities. This applies to both Tomb Raider and Skyrim. Besides...what is wrong with a linear game? Ask yourself why are you playing a game? If you are looking for mindless wandering around with no goals then you are playing the wrong game. If you are looking for a game with a good story and exciting moving gameplay then here you go. "Sandbox" games with storylines usually have junk story lines. It's to hard to plug in a detailed quality story when you have no clue where the player is going to go next. I give this game a 10/10. There are no flaws. It beats out almost every game that I have played recently. For anyone that has not played this game, I encourage you to get it whether you played the old Tomb Raiders or not. It was truly an amazing journey.
  90. Mar 21, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played, and is a welcomed addition to the Tomb Raider franchise. It's a reboot of the original Tomb Raider series, and is leaps & bounds above the previous games.

It's like sticking your hand in the honey jar. You're definitely going to pull out some golden, sweet, goodness.
  91. Mar 24, 2013
    TombRaider is a fantastic reboot of the series, a dark twisted story, stunning graphics and smooth gameplay. Could do with more puzzles. 86/100

92. Mar 25, 2013
    When I was younger I never really got into the whole Tomb Raider thing, wasn't my cup of tea. But I have to say that this reboot is a cracking game. The first game for me in a long time where the disc has stayed in the Xbox until I have finished it I usually get bored after a couple of days of a game, even if it is very good, and play something else for a while. And I rarely complete games now days as I move on to other games and don't usually go back to them.

Some great scenery, good story, entertaining set pieces and, I found, decent variety throughout the game. I think they got things like the 'sensation' of firing the weapons spot-on, I found that very satisfying. I didn't quite get to grips with melee combat until later in the game as I found that a bit hit and miss possibly due to my fat fingers than any problems! Some of the QTE sections were a little bit off too. I actually don't mind them usually. but I found them a little bit unforgiving. Overall, I can't really find too many more faults with it. Like Hollywood has done a lot recently, this reboot has really freshened up a well-worn franchise, and I hope they are busy working on the next installment now as I will be eagerly anticipating it as long as it's more of the same!
  93. Mar 26, 2013
    I think its safe to say that this is one of those times where the reviewers have been completely bought off. This is NOT a Tomb Raider game. This is a mediocre linear 3rd person shooter. You spend 75% of your time engaging dumb enemies with mediocre shooting mechanics. You spend 10% of your time watching cinematic sequences. You spend 10% of your time trying to remember what button sequence to press at exactly the
    right moment during annoying scripted
    sequences. I’m not sure why this particular
    type of gameplay is popular in games today,
    or why it isn’t ripped apart by reviewers as
    annoying and terrible, but there is NOTHING
    fun about it. And you spend 5% of your time
    actually doing what made Tomb Raider
    games so great: solving puzzles. If that
    sounds like your cup of tea, then by all
    means, pick this up. As for me, I won’t even
    consider this a Tomb Raider game. The last
    few entries, that actually had cool puzzles
    and platforming sequences, were much more
    fun and true to what Tomb Raider is. If only
    I had borrowed or rented this instead of
    wasting $60 on it……
  94. Mar 25, 2013
    This game It's just amazing, but I think he failed on the transformation of Lara innocent girl to Lara the bad ass it's not really great because the violation that guy do to her it's not enough And this game have a big bug when you are at the boat you have to pull a box with the bow that box don't came to you so you need to start the campaign again, that happened to me on my first campaign but when I played again that is not there so you should be careful Expand
  95. Apr 5, 2013
    There is no reason why someone may call this game a "bad game". So let's start with how the story develops you are Lara Croft an archaeologist that wanted to explore a dangerous island in order to uncover an old legend that supposedly is true, after a while you will notice how meanwhile you advance the story and it starts becoming more complex and starts revealing more secrets without becoming confusing at any point you will start notice how the character (Lara) itself becomes more aggressive and learn how to fight in a much more advanced way. When you start the story Lara is just... well an archeologist all alone in what appears to be a deserted island as she starts getting used to the surroundings of the island itself. The fist kill that Lara has to do it is shocking, not only is extremely violent but you will start to see how she starts changing, the first guy that she has to kill is never presented like "ok so you just killed this dude move on and kill more in order to get to the next mission" is an emotional impact as much as it is to the character as to the player. Every objective has a meaning and a ton of variety within you will be switching weapons constantly and not because the game tells you to but because everyone of them has his pros and cons and they are useful for different situations, you can upgrade your weapons so they're more powerful and better looking this combined with a beautiful climbing/platforming mechanic that feels just awesome. Even after i finished the game i just wanted to play it for a second time just to get more collectibles or to manage to upgrade all of my weapons just to feel as the most badass and feared warrior that there is in the island.
    Something that needs to be said is that the characters in this game are extremely charming at least 90% of them and again there is going to be a couple of deaths to "minor" characters in the game that will end up giving a huge emotional impact both on Lara and the other characters. In conclusion Tomb Raider 2013 is just a beautiful fun experience that no one should miss excellent graphics, stellar gameplay, interesting story make Tomb Raider 2013 the best game in the franchise so far, i hope that square enix keeps up with this franchise just to take on Lara on another mind blowing adventure. Oh and the game is extremely violent in different ways so is not a kids game to be honest.
  96. Mar 28, 2013
    This is how you reboot a game! It's an adventure game but it has action, stealth one very insteresting story and excellent gameplay mechanics. I highly recommend this one to everyone!
  97. Mar 31, 2013
    Game is awesome, but too expensive. I preffer to download game from web like from: http://xbox360-complex.com/tomb-raider-ntsc-upal-xbox360-complex-1-gb-links-no-limit/
  98. Mar 31, 2013
    Firstly, I am placing a disclaimer that I have only played about half of a tomb raider game (which I didn't like) before I played this one. My friends told me that his game's best thing is that the transition between a cut-scene and gameplay is seamless and that many cut-scenes show great textures and skyboxes.
    Now, I'm not one to rate a game based on how good sky-boxes look or how great
    textures look. I grew up with 8 and 16 bit games (which I still play), I don't need Crysis-style textures that would put my ASUS G75 to the test. What I need is a good story, art-direction, characters, voice acting, and gameplay.
    What I got was unfortunately a game with great intentions that was remarkably short (even for 100% completion), and badly executed game. The story is well focused in a Lost kind of way, but unfortunately the amount of plot holes within the story, to include big set-pieces and scripted action sequences, that take away from Lara Croft's coming-of-age story to "let's just have her fall and get hurt a lot." This kind of story could make Lara Croft into the survivor that they're trying to make her, but falls ever so short with the sheer amount of plot holes. For instance, at the beginning you witness Lara kill someone for the first time, which she genuinely sounds remorseful and somber, but within 30 seconds of that same cut-scene, you kill about a dozen people. Where is the character development? You don't feel remorseful for a full twenty seconds before going on a Call of Duty rampage, killing dozens of people at a time!
    This would have kept the score at an 8, making it a good game worth buying, but something even more menacing and terrifying lurked over my entire experience...
    Disclaimer: I am perfectly aware that Tomb Raider was the first franchise to utilize this mechanic.
    Quick-Time-Events are by far the most annoying thing in a game. When you have a game that is completely full of QTE's, you have turned a game into "press x to not die." QTE's are something that (in my opinion) take away from the experience and immersion, particularly with this game. If you have a game with no HUD, you shouldn't use QTE's. The reason why a game would not utilize a HUD is to immerse a player into the story, set-pieces, etc. (which they do quite well), but if you have QTE's, it completely takes away from the immersion and instead turns into "great...another QTE." There are times when scripted action make sense to have QTE's, but when counters are timed QTE's and not just a simple "press x after dodging with b," that's when you have to decide that maybe the developers were going a little crazy with it.
    I like the game, I really do. I tried to love it, but I just couldn't. It's a game that has low to moderate replay value because of the sheer amount of QTE's and plot-holes, not to mention an absurdly short play time of about 10 hours max (and that's if you go for 100% completion on the hardest difficulty). This game could have been easily Game of the Year if the developer had focused on more important things than QTE's. Lara's character development could have been ground-breaking, interesting, and thought provoking, but instead you had one moment with her remorse, then quickly moving on to kill hundreds of enemies.
    Final Word: The game has an interesting plot overall and the game by far is beautiful. The cut-scenes are seamless and makes you feel that you are both in control and along for the ride (a thing that isn't done well by other games). QTE's aside, the gameplay is fun, engaging, and smooth. It is the kind of game that makes you want more, but falls short. A kind of game that you look at knowing that it had so much potential, but instead got lazy. Is it worthy to buy? Yes, but trade it in for something else later. You won't play it more than twice anyway.
  99. Mar 31, 2013
    As a big fan of the prequels I was extremely excited to see Lara do some damage once again on the current consoles. and I must say this game was awesome! graphics were quite a site to see! especially the snow missions. the bow is great! plus the other weapons, I like the story although it did drag out a bit slightly towards the end. some of the puzzles did not interest me. they were my only gripes, multiplayer wasn't needed. gameplay is seriously addicting! best cover system! the island is great to explore but at times feels restricted.. a solid 8 from me. defs worth buying when cheap or renting. I borrowed it from a friend. Expand
  100. Apr 1, 2013
    Uncharted made an adaptation of Tomb Raider's spirit to the actual gen, with the mechanics that works great nowadays (basically TPS scripted platforms). Now is Tomb Raider who takes the Uncharted example for its own. It's well balanced, with enough different situations and works great all the way along... but always feels a step behind it's "spiritual successor".

1. Apr 5, 2013
    The new Tomb Raider is not as revolutionary as the original from 1996 but this reboot is the most mature, interesting and friendly entry to the series. For me it is Uncharted on steroids, a game that’s better in every aspect than Nathan Drake’s adventures. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.52]
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a fine game, but something essential feels like it has been left out. Lara seems to have found the map, but missed the treasure.
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is the second best Uncharted game behind Uncharted 2. While it gives up a lot of its adventure identity fans have come to know and love, the end result is still a fantastic game that shouldn’t be missed by any action fan. If Crystal Dynamics can inject more adventure elements into a potential sequel, it would be a pretty interesting proposition indeed.