8.5

1. Jun 20, 2013
    This was a good game I liked it but I was bored after a while.I wish there was more to do in it.This is a should buy game its perfect for any gamer to play.
  2. Aug 28, 2013
    Funny game, made me lost some hours of my life trying to catch everything. A good reboot, much more fun than the old titles. Keep in this way and TB 2 or 3 can became a shiny gamer jewel.
  3. Mar 25, 2013
    Awesome graphics and controls, intense and seamless storyline, but simply lacks of puzzle solving, which makes Tomb Raider a simple Action game. A little bit disappointing I would say. But still, it's not a bad game. I've been a Tomb Raider fan for 10+ years and my favorite TR remains the first one.
  4. Mar 9, 2013
    I have mixed views of this game. After waiting a year for it to come out I am disappointed. I have only just bought this game and not played much, however so far it seems you can't die, I died once when a rock fell on me but that's it, i tried walking of the edge of a cliff, nothing happened and when walking across a high up log, you think, because your wobbling that you are going to fallI have mixed views of this game. After waiting a year for it to come out I am disappointed. I have only just bought this game and not played much, however so far it seems you can't die, I died once when a rock fell on me but that's it, i tried walking of the edge of a cliff, nothing happened and when walking across a high up log, you think, because your wobbling that you are going to fall of, but if you try to walk of nothing happens, its says go slow and be careful but the fact is there's no point saying that because it wont let you speed up or jump... Also when some wolves where coming at me, they stayed slow motion for about 3 seconds. EXTREMELY EASY (and i struggled with the older games) and there's no guns so far. There is no point playing a game if your going to be told what to do, the LB button just tells you everything to do, where to go and what to find... THIS IS SO STUPID, you play the game because you want to play it not to have it practicably done fore you. Some goods, its got a good story and characters and the graphics are amazing, i love games with a beautiful scenery however this game has been overloaded with little clips or her doing stuff (like a movie) Expand
  5. Apr 25, 2013
    Definitely don't agree with those giving this 5 stars as "One of the best games ever" yeah...no. One question to these people, How many games have you actually played? As someone who has been a lifelong TR fan ever since i played the very first game in 1996 this certaintly is a much welcomed upgrade from the stale games circa 2003 2008. When you compare it on the Tomb Raider scale it isDefinitely don't agree with those giving this 5 stars as "One of the best games ever" yeah...no. One question to these people, How many games have you actually played? As someone who has been a lifelong TR fan ever since i played the very first game in 1996 this certaintly is a much welcomed upgrade from the stale games circa 2003 2008. When you compare it on the Tomb Raider scale it is very very good but on video games as a whole it lacks substance.

I found immersion very difficult, considering you fall and land on an iron spike impaling your side in the very first level then not 5 minutes later proceed to run, jump and climb objects as if you had already healed from the spike almost instantly, she even holds her side because of the pain! I guess walking is painful but climbing and running... not so much. This is not the only time this happens in the game we are supposed to be believing she is human in this reboot right?.

Another thing i was dissapointed with was that they once again included quick time events in cutscenes, I can't be the only one who hates this? Watching a cinematic cutscene whilst constantly being primed to press a button just ruins the entertainment of it, instead of watching the action you're reminding yourself which button your finger is on so that you'll be ready. Let the game be the game and the cutscene be the cutscene, don't merge both into some anxious attention diverting gaming moment. Let us relax and watch the cutscene or let us play that part of the freaking game!!

The actual story is pretty decent, could have been better but holds together well. The combat is 3rd person and i will agree it doesn't have many flaws, the cover system holds well and the enemies have decent enough AI to be a challenege at certain areas.
    I love games with looting systems in place, whether it be crates, enemies or treasure chests gathering loot and supplies is fun and i'm glad they included it in this game, However looting the same crap over and over again becomes repetitive and boring, but there wasn't really anything else in this game to be looted, no armor upgrades, rare ability boosting island remedies, unique weapons etc etc.

The levels whilst they promote non linearity are infact linear, there is no exploration on any large scale. You get a sort of mini sandbox to explore which i felt was lacking as we were sold this huge island. I played this game for 8 straight hours before giving it up for good, the levels and challenege felt the same throughout the whole game. There was no mission where i thought "Hey, this is different!" maybe except the sneaking to avoid guards and the huge amount of bodies of WW2 soldiers in that bunker with the guardian.

Am i expecting too much from this game? Well not really if you're going to class this as the best game ever or game of the year. I feel my review is fair, it's definitely not 1 star and it sure as hell isn't 5 stars, which doesn't change the fact this game to me is a letdown. If you Want a proper jungle exploration shooter? pick up Far Cry 3.
  6. Mar 5, 2013
    The game doesnt have that long lost magic of classic Tomb Raider, but it also does poor job following Uncharted standards, so i think there is nothing really special about it. Storyline is not very entertaining, its kinda like in far cry 3, which is not a beneficial resemblance. Survival is a joke, i expected something like Snake Eater, instead you shoot stuff fot xp.
    On the other hand we
    On the other hand we have nice graphics, pretty realistic gore, OK fighting mechanics, large space to explore freely, simple and engaging rpg stuff. Overall, game is good. But from Tomb Raider reboot i expected a LOT better.
  7. Mar 11, 2013
    Tomb Raider has a great story and the environments are beautiful and well done. The combat is also entertaining and becomes more so as you unlock skills to upgrade Lara and her arsenal. However the game has some seriously clunky controls. I found myself having to repeat QTE's over and over because the game couldn't recognize the control stick being mashed. (I checked, it's not theTomb Raider has a great story and the environments are beautiful and well done. The combat is also entertaining and becomes more so as you unlock skills to upgrade Lara and her arsenal. However the game has some seriously clunky controls. I found myself having to repeat QTE's over and over because the game couldn't recognize the control stick being mashed. (I checked, it's not the controller) Also there is no crouch button so I found myself being shot to death constantly seeing as you cannot choose when to crouch, and the game decides for you. This is especially annoying when trying to take cover behind a waist high wall. The y-axis will also become inverted at random and changing this in the menu doesn't do anything, you will have to restart your game to fix this. There are also times when things don't make any sense at all. Like you pull something down and it goes through the floor. When you look down the heavy object is no where to be seen, it just vanishes somehow. The main thing that kept me playing this until the end though was the combat. It was always satisfying to execute enemies no matter which weapon you are using. This isn't really interesting though until you start unlocking the executions. So overall, I think it's fun. It's just the controls are so screwy and cause so many unnecessary deaths. So it can get frustrating very fast. Expand
  8. Mar 5, 2013
    Okay, first off, either every reviewer has gone insane and has not played a game since 2008 or Square Enix (the publisher) made sure to pay a very very grand sum of cash straight to most of them to give this game unreasonably high scores just to artificially push sales, because gamers these days only care about scores.

Now onto the game: it is decent. Very flawed, yet abnormally good at

Now onto the game: it is decent. Very flawed, yet abnormally good at some few parts. The art direction is great most of the time sometimes it's very brown and grey and ugly. Other times the green trees and fog is delightful. The graphical quality is average not good not bad. The animations are a mixed bag, though, with Lara's animations (while exploring) being very smooth and fluid, while during combat and "cinematic" set pieces they look blocky and bad. The combat is quite boring, and there is a lot of it, detracting from the whole emotional "a survivor is born!" storyline. Yeah, more like a raging killer one woman army sodier is born in the first 15 minutes. This makes the entire story falter, not that the already annoying and stereotypical cast of characters and predictable enemies and plot twist at the end doesn't. I mean really, ANOTHER Drake's Fortune plot twist? Overall the game is just very strangely built. It feels like the story and gameplay department didn't work together and then combined their parts at the very end. It's like making a hamburger with a hot dog bun on one half. The combat is tedious with subpar shooting mechanics, the platforming is satisfying, the puzzles are good, the story tries but fails, and I'm not even getting started with the horrendous multiplayer they shoved into the franchise. This is not the game we expected: no openness, no survival whatsoever, and no mature dark theme.
  9. Mar 8, 2013
    Tomb Raider is like going to the newest restaurantfor the first time. It has been advertised to death, everyone is talking about it, and you just can't wait to try it. When you get there the decor looks great, the vibes are good and the food smells good. When you get your order and take your first bite, something just doesn't taste right. It's bitter and not at all what you expected. ThisTomb Raider is like going to the newest restaurantfor the first time. It has been advertised to death, everyone is talking about it, and you just can't wait to try it. When you get there the decor looks great, the vibes are good and the food smells good. When you get your order and take your first bite, something just doesn't taste right. It's bitter and not at all what you expected. This is a bit what Tomb Raider felt like for me. I went into the game with high hopes but was left feeling like the game could have been SO much more. Don't get me wrong, it is a good game. It looks beautiful and the environments are believable. So much time I think was spent on the motion capture cutscenes and the breathtaking graphics that not as much attention was given to the gameplay that needed to be. The character movement is clunky, the gunplay is just as clunky if not more, if a jump is mis-timed by a small amount, Lara will sort of float onto what she needs to grab onto. Tomb Raider is more of a missed opportunity than anything. Because of the bad gameplay, I just can't recommend this game. I bought the game Tuesday and as I sit here writing this review now on Friday (took me just 3 days to beat the game!), I can't help but feel I have been a bit ripped off. There is zero replay value in the game. Once it's beaten it's done. Over. This game is a good weekend rental, not a buying worthy title. Expand
  10. Mar 6, 2013
    Painfully linear with far too many quick time events and far too few optional tombs to actually raid, equals a Tomb Raider reboot that feels more like a run-of-the-mill action game than the Tomb Raiders of old. The optional tombs that DO exist are so small and straight forward that any one of them is easily finished in 5 minutes or less. However, the graphics and story do save the day andPainfully linear with far too many quick time events and far too few optional tombs to actually raid, equals a Tomb Raider reboot that feels more like a run-of-the-mill action game than the Tomb Raiders of old. The optional tombs that DO exist are so small and straight forward that any one of them is easily finished in 5 minutes or less. However, the graphics and story do save the day and make the game at least worth a playthrough but perhaps not a purchase. In regards to the QTEs, anyone who tells you that QTEs in this game are limited after the first 2 hours is LYING. The usage of QTEs is pervasive, sometimes cropping up in the middle of high action sequences. They ruin the flow and are frequently buggy. QTEs are great once in a while but far too many games, including this one I'm sad to say, are overusing them in lieu of better engaging design. Expand
  11. Mar 8, 2013
    With this game, the "Tomb Raider" franchise turned casual completely and if it wasn't for the protagonist's name, i would say this isn't Tomb Raider, at all. Looks more like "Dumb Raider" considering how frustratingly easy and linear this game is. The extreme linearity gives me the feeling that i'm controlling a laboratory rat through hallways inside of a closed chamber. The puzzles areWith this game, the "Tomb Raider" franchise turned casual completely and if it wasn't for the protagonist's name, i would say this isn't Tomb Raider, at all. Looks more like "Dumb Raider" considering how frustratingly easy and linear this game is. The extreme linearity gives me the feeling that i'm controlling a laboratory rat through hallways inside of a closed chamber. The puzzles are lame, the combat is generic, the exploration almost doesn't exists and the plot, the motherf##ing plot, is easily the weakest of the whole series. If you like games that treats you like a retard, maybe you should get this one. Thanks a lot, Eidos. You f#cked up with Hitman and did the same thing to Tomb Raider... Expand
  12. Mar 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First, it's a good game. But veeeeery short. I ended it in 5,5 hours with 70% of the secrets completed. It's definitely not worth the 70eur that it costs, maybe 30. Graphics are good, the script has some inconsistencies (some guys punch Lara disfiguring her. 5 minutes later she's happy and totally ok. There are a lot of moments like this), and the QTE are very easy or very difficult, there is no middle. Some tombs are really uninspired, and too short all of them, although you'll have 5 minutes of medium fun in each one.
    There is only 1 boss, the final boss, that is ridiculously easy and simple in its killing mechanics. A game with too much hype that you will like, but not love
  13. Mar 19, 2013
    I feel like this was the Tomb Raider that everyone envisioned it should be after playing Uncharted, but it didn't do anything that exceeded expectations or raise the bar. It does a few things different, but much of the game is derivative. Good looking game.
  14. Mar 10, 2013
    The characters in the game are awesome, the gameplay is great, the upgrading system is good too. The combat is awesome, melee fights and guns are great. Auto-save sucks, it doesn't save everything properly, so you can lose items and stuff (eg: weapons parts and discovered camps, found relics, documents, GPS caches, so you can't complete the game to 100%). The automatic healing ruins theThe characters in the game are awesome, the gameplay is great, the upgrading system is good too. The combat is awesome, melee fights and guns are great. Auto-save sucks, it doesn't save everything properly, so you can lose items and stuff (eg: weapons parts and discovered camps, found relics, documents, GPS caches, so you can't complete the game to 100%). The automatic healing ruins the game. Btw. auto-healing ruins EVERY games. It makes it so easy. It sucks. Gameplay 3/3; Warranty 1/3; Graphics 2/2; Sounds 2/2; Bugs -1; Slow map loading (like in GTA games if you drive too fast) -1; Auto-healing -1; Overall 5/10 Expand
  15. Mar 14, 2013
    The story was compelling. The pacing was excellent, fast frantic stretches and slower exploration segments. The majority of combat gameplay was acceptable.

The use of Quicktime Events was not. There are too many QTE's, especially in the first few areas, and many of them are bugged to hell and back. The gameplay programmer responsible was absolutely lousy at their job. Keypresses/button presses have to fall within a very narrow window of time and timing; too fast and it fails you, two slow and it fails you. Too many, and it fails you. Not enough, and it fails you. You have to do the keypresses with the exact same timing as the playtesters did.

Added to that is the problem of keypresses just plain not registering. All in all the quicktime garbage should have been scrapped for a real combat system. The repeated death animations are honestly very graphic and disturbing; This game should have been rated Adult Only for that alone.
  16. Mar 10, 2013
    A very enjoyable game to play mechanically; level design and controls interact in expert harmony. Ultra-violent gameplay/combat and a dark, insidious setting are juxtaposed against a story written to be palatable for a 6-year old. The new Tomb Raider.
  17. Apr 16, 2013
    Overall, I enjoyed this game. The puzzles and the gameplay in general were good. I did find it samey in places, falling 1000 feet, sliding down, jump a few fences, hand glide across, done. Wasn't a big fan of the story of the characters either, but it does a nice job with Lara. Overall, I wasn't overwhelmed, because there are some nonsensical things in the story. But I enjoyed the game, 7/10.
  18. Mar 30, 2014
    It really wasn't that good. At the beginning you walk a bit, wolves attack, walk a bit, wolves attack, its very tedious. It doesn't get better. It is a short game that doesn't give a great experience. The shooting is good but it doesn't deserve the praise its gotten.
  19. May 17, 2013
    This isn't really a game, more of an interactive cinematic experience. Everything you do is scripted and linear, it's almost impossible to die and you can't influence outcomes by your actions. You can complete huge swaths of the game by simply pressing forward on the gamepad and watching Lara pull off death defying moves traversing burning environments or parascending through denseThis isn't really a game, more of an interactive cinematic experience. Everything you do is scripted and linear, it's almost impossible to die and you can't influence outcomes by your actions. You can complete huge swaths of the game by simply pressing forward on the gamepad and watching Lara pull off death defying moves traversing burning environments or parascending through dense forest, but it's all completely disconnected from your actions on the controller. The times you have control in the open environments are enjoyable, but unfortunately too limited by the requirement to progress the story.

The story is compelling, but I want a game with real gameplay and a Tomb Raider with challenging puzzles like in the old days...not an animated film/game hybrid with a sweaty controller in my hand.
  20. Mar 30, 2013
    Tomb Raider... Forth coming and engaging title for a game like this. Puzzles, action, platforming, beautiful island landscape, and Laura Croft. This game has a few was to describe it, both good... but also bad. Bad? Yes, this game is not flawless, but it has it's high marks for action and adventure, but when it comes to story and characters it drops slightly. Action can be powerful,Tomb Raider... Forth coming and engaging title for a game like this. Puzzles, action, platforming, beautiful island landscape, and Laura Croft. This game has a few was to describe it, both good... but also bad. Bad? Yes, this game is not flawless, but it has it's high marks for action and adventure, but when it comes to story and characters it drops slightly. Action can be powerful, but very linear. Adventure is open and wonderfully dynamic. But story moves oddly throughout the campaign and can be seen coming from a mile away to as it progresses. Characters are like cardboard and use a ungodly amount of psychology in their speaking, making them as bland as the lead characters from Dead Island. Laura is still young and new to this, but her character is just as bland. Other things of concern is the oddity of enemies: Turns out they are all shipwrecked and abandoned people who turned into prisoners of the island, but they are all well supplied with WWII and ancient Japanese weapons that they come out of the woodwork like they are infinite little bugs going up against a untrained and unconditioned 20 year old female that can seemingly murder then by the dozens... or thousands. It's obscene to think that many people actually live there... on a tiny island... with unlimited fuel and ammo... all men... and are at war with an unknown enemy that could kill them easily. Sorry to say, but with great adventure and platforming, comes linear combat, characters made of cardboard, and expecting storyline. Expand
  21. Mar 31, 2013
    Firstly, I am placing a disclaimer that I have only played about half of a tomb raider game (which I didn't like) before I played this one. My friends told me that his game's best thing is that the transition between a cut-scene and gameplay is seamless and that many cut-scenes show great textures and skyboxes.
    Now, I'm not one to rate a game based on how good sky-boxes look or how great
    Now, I'm not one to rate a game based on how good sky-boxes look or how great textures look. I grew up with 8 and 16 bit games (which I still play), I don't need Crysis-style textures that would put my ASUS G75 to the test. What I need is a good story, art-direction, characters, voice acting, and gameplay.
    What I got was unfortunately a game with great intentions that was remarkably short (even for 100% completion), and badly executed game. The story is well focused in a Lost kind of way, but unfortunately the amount of plot holes within the story, to include big set-pieces and scripted action sequences, that take away from Lara Croft's coming-of-age story to "let's just have her fall and get hurt a lot." This kind of story could make Lara Croft into the survivor that they're trying to make her, but falls ever so short with the sheer amount of plot holes. For instance, at the beginning you witness Lara kill someone for the first time, which she genuinely sounds remorseful and somber, but within 30 seconds of that same cut-scene, you kill about a dozen people. Where is the character development? You don't feel remorseful for a full twenty seconds before going on a Call of Duty rampage, killing dozens of people at a time!
    This would have kept the score at an 8, making it a good game worth buying, but something even more menacing and terrifying lurked over my entire experience...
    Disclaimer: I am perfectly aware that Tomb Raider was the first franchise to utilize this mechanic.
    Quick-Time-Events are by far the most annoying thing in a game. When you have a game that is completely full of QTE's, you have turned a game into "press x to not die." QTE's are something that (in my opinion) take away from the experience and immersion, particularly with this game. If you have a game with no HUD, you shouldn't use QTE's. The reason why a game would not utilize a HUD is to immerse a player into the story, set-pieces, etc. (which they do quite well), but if you have QTE's, it completely takes away from the immersion and instead turns into "great...another QTE." There are times when scripted action make sense to have QTE's, but when counters are timed QTE's and not just a simple "press x after dodging with b," that's when you have to decide that maybe the developers were going a little crazy with it.
    I like the game, I really do. I tried to love it, but I just couldn't. It's a game that has low to moderate replay value because of the sheer amount of QTE's and plot-holes, not to mention an absurdly short play time of about 10 hours max (and that's if you go for 100% completion on the hardest difficulty). This game could have been easily Game of the Year if the developer had focused on more important things than QTE's. Lara's character development could have been ground-breaking, interesting, and thought provoking, but instead you had one moment with her remorse, then quickly moving on to kill hundreds of enemies.
    Final Word: The game has an interesting plot overall and the game by far is beautiful. The cut-scenes are seamless and makes you feel that you are both in control and along for the ride (a thing that isn't done well by other games). QTE's aside, the gameplay is fun, engaging, and smooth. It is the kind of game that makes you want more, but falls short. A kind of game that you look at knowing that it had so much potential, but instead got lazy. Is it worthy to buy? Yes, but trade it in for something else later. You won't play it more than twice anyway.
  22. Apr 4, 2013
    I was genuinely excited for the new Tomb Raider, I was. The graphics were gorgeous, the trailer and reviews looked promising. However, within an hour or two I found myself doubting the quality of the game. Not having a desire to feel I wasted my money, I kept on until the end. The closer I got, the more I shook my head. The good? Lara is sexy (including or accent). That's about it. TheI was genuinely excited for the new Tomb Raider, I was. The graphics were gorgeous, the trailer and reviews looked promising. However, within an hour or two I found myself doubting the quality of the game. Not having a desire to feel I wasted my money, I kept on until the end. The closer I got, the more I shook my head. The good? Lara is sexy (including or accent). That's about it. The bad? The script is terrible, cheesy, cliche. REALLY cliche. They made Lara Croft out to be some fragile, terrified little dove caught in a dirty cage. Another issue: I feel like I'm watching a movie instead of playing a game. I enjoy a bit of cinematography, but not this much. When it does come to gameplay, it's a simple tapping of a couple buttons and BAM! Problem solved. The puzzles are totally unengaging. The action is pretty good, but way too easy. You master nearly every skill available, diminishing the replay value drastically. Overall it left me very disappointed. Expand
  23. May 23, 2015
    6.5/ 10
    6.5/ 10
    Gameplay 2.5/ 4 - combat is the only really responsive and enjoyable part of the gameplay; it's fun, can be challenging and offers good variety. The movement/ climbing/ jumping mechanics were a big disappointment; an extremely dumbed-down Assassin's Creed...almost impossible to miss a jump. Skill/ practice is irrelevant from the adventuring perspective. The entire skilltree was an obvious add-on and is meaningless....insultingly so.
    Story - 2/4 - not bad, not great. World is small and very linear. Puzzle sections are few, very, very brief and very simple. Largest single criticism of the game is that the devs knew that their audience was men, so even though you are "playing" Lara, she remains eye-candy....how immersed in a game can I be if there continues to be close-up shots of solely my chest when forced to continually slide into cracks....seriously guys, grow up; at least Witcher allows us to be pervs the way we normally are :)
    Visuals 1/2 - again, not bad, not great.
    Soundtrack 1/1 - well suited and enjoyable.
  24. Sep 15, 2013
    BLEH. This game is nothing but a Uncharted clone, all you do throughout the game is shoot people, yo know, that thing TOMB RAIDER HAS NEVER BEEN ABOUT. Every Tomb Raider game before this one was all about the platforming challenges. Sure some games had more more combat than others, but in every other Tomb Raider game the platforming is the most important aspect. There is little to noBLEH. This game is nothing but a Uncharted clone, all you do throughout the game is shoot people, yo know, that thing TOMB RAIDER HAS NEVER BEEN ABOUT. Every Tomb Raider game before this one was all about the platforming challenges. Sure some games had more more combat than others, but in every other Tomb Raider game the platforming is the most important aspect. There is little to no platforming in this game. Whenever there is it is incredibly bland and uninteresting. Also this game is filled to the brim with scripted events.Which may look cool the first time you play the game, but if you play through the game multiple times they get very annoying.

Graphically it looks pretty, But the character models to look rather jaggy and look like there was not as much effort put into them as the environments. Which look great. The soundtrack is nothing memorable. unlike previous titles which often had awesome soundtracks.
    The story is okay, but none of the characters, excluding Lara, have any character development and are really uninteresting.

This games biggest problem is it's length and difficulty, this game is pathetically short and pathetically easy, It took me a day to finish this game the first time I played it. Overall this game is... Decent, nothing special. Recommend it to fans of Uncharted,Tomb Raider fans, and casual gamers.
  25. Apr 24, 2013
    I'm torn about this one. It's ticks all the right boxes, but I don't feel it's worth full price. You must play this game, but you should not pay full price., it just doesn't feel to me like it's earned that much money.
  26. May 1, 2013
    There is a lot to like in the latest incarnation of Tomb Raider. A more realistic take on the character, a deeper and more thoughtful story than past games, graphics that are among the best out there, and a lot of fun gameplay along the way. But despite all the good aspects, I felt I was never able to fully let rip and enjoy it in my own way.

Walk towards an enemy and Lara will

Walk towards an enemy and Lara will automatically crouch into cover. Walk into a dark cave and she'll light up a torch. Sometimes dramatic and tense in-game cut scenes merge directly in and out of gameplay and at points I wasn't actually sure if I was in control or not.

Exploring the semi-open world is encouraged to find all the hidden collectables and level up your character, but you can unlock upgrades which point out where the collectables are which gets rid of the need to actually explore anywhere. If you walk within 200 yards of one of the 'secret' tombs a pop-up will appear on screen saying "Secret Tomb Discovered" and it will show you where it is on the map (not to mention the literal huge arrows painted on to the scenery that point towards said secret tombs in most cases). To me that defeated the point of them being secret tombs, and took out the satisfaction of discovering them for myself.

All of this creates is a very linear experience where you aren't allowed to decide how to approach a situation. What if I wanted to run into a room full of bad guys guns blazing? Not allowed, because that's not how the game wants me to play it. This is made even more frustrating by the fact that so much of the game is actually a lot of fun, the story really is quite engaging and Lara's character is well defined. I just wish I could play it my way rather than having it hold my hand all the way through.
  27. Jul 11, 2013
    Tomb Raider was my childhood game, and I have mixed emotions after compleating it. These are pluses and minuses of the game:
    Pluses:
    -New, rebooted Lara - Interesting story and well sripted storyline - Upgrade system -Voice Acting Minuses: - Unused potential of survival - There are about 5 riddles to solve - Even if it is badass Lara Croft, sometimes her strenght and endurance is
    Pluses:
    -New, rebooted Lara
    - Interesting story and well sripted storyline
    - Upgrade system
    -Voice Acting
    Minuses:
    - Unused potential of survival
    - There are about 5 riddles to solve
    - Even if it is badass Lara Croft, sometimes her strenght and endurance is too much unrealistic
    - Closed, small island and only 5 6 secret tombs
    - Exploring does not give satisfacion like in Legend, or Anniversary

All in all, new Tomb Raider is well game, but it's not that exciting as previous from the series.
  28. Jul 27, 2013
    Tomb Raider has various things going for it. Good voice acting on the part of Lara, fast paced gameplay that keeps the action going, a pseudo-crafting system that also adds a gathering mechanic, tons of collectables, strong visuals, and dynamic map environments. The one thing that was incredibly disappointing was the story! It was alright up until the point where they throw in theirTomb Raider has various things going for it. Good voice acting on the part of Lara, fast paced gameplay that keeps the action going, a pseudo-crafting system that also adds a gathering mechanic, tons of collectables, strong visuals, and dynamic map environments. The one thing that was incredibly disappointing was the story! It was alright up until the point where they throw in their "twist", which is impossible to miss when you're playing the game. After that, I couldn't take the game seriously. The combat also gets very easy towards the last 1/2 to 3/4 of the game, when by then you should have everything mostly leveled/upgraded and all the skills that are actually useful unlocked. Hearing Lara's overemphasized groaning and screams the entire game also gets really old really fast. I felt no connection to anyone besides Lara, and even then it wasn't too strong. The game does collectables really well however; each of them has a small bit of dialogue containing actual information about the object that you've found. The platforming is exceptional. I never found myself getting frustrated trying to jump a certain way or find my way around the immense map. The semi-open world experience is also done well, allowing you to fast travel around to the different areas in case you missed one of the secret Tombs or a collectable. AI is good and provides a challenge at some points if you play the game on Hard difficulty. The game is of a decent length. I never got around to checking how long it took me to beat the game but I would assume it was around 12-16 hours or so. All in all, it's a solid game that takes a hit because of it's lackluster characters and, in my opinion, downright stupid story. Expand
  29. Jul 26, 2013
    Mediocre mass-appealing third -person action

The relaunched Tomb Raider was a bit of a disappointment for myself, but or rather since- it struggles to appeal to a great many people. The game features are a jounger lara croft who shipwrecks on a misterious island with her band of support characters. While uncovering the secrets of the inhabitants and weird happenings on the island Ms.
    Mediocre mass-appealing third -person action

The game features are a jounger lara croft who shipwrecks on a misterious island with her band of support characters. While uncovering the secrets of the inhabitants and weird happenings on the island Ms. Croft explores, puzzles, collects and fights her way through a game, that promised a more story driven and emotionally engaging experience than what Tomb Raider stood for in the past.
    The major Flaw this game suffers from is inconsistency. While the cutscenes make you feel like you are in mortal danger and have to strive for the very survival, the gameplay doesn't convey that.
    Granted, if you interpret this as the process of a character growing from a scared bookwortm into a gun tooting killing machine, it kind of makes sense, but there is not enough connection between the gameplay and the presented cinematics to actually make that part of the experience. I did not really feel threatened when minutes after covering herself crying and freezing next to a campfire Lara mows down wave after wave of grunts with extraordinary efficiency and no remorse at all.

Scond point of inconsistency directly ties in to that: the lack of difficulty. Appearantly, Ms. Croft fears death a whole lot, as shown by her coughing and sobbing extensively. But as it turns out, she can recover from a shotgun blast to the face quite easily by hiding for a few moments. Unless her wounds were inflicted in a cutscene, wich requires serious ammounts of ignoring it. You don't need food beyond the first deer you hunt, ammunition is plenty and you get autosave-restarts at every slightly harder plattforming sequence. Being crafty and survival-y isn't really required. On top af a button that shows points of interest highlighted, The Game holds your hand extensively, showing the required buttons and actions at every possible moment. New skills are introduced at a relatively slow pace, but you get plenty of time applying them in the later game, so that's not neccesarily a bad thing. What bothered me though was that some puzzles are actually solved by Lara just telling you the solution with her inside voice. I really hated that, wich makes the puzzles not even stand out between the not so enyoyable batles.

Crafting is the third point of inconsistency that ultimately made me enyoy this reboot less than its predesessors. Whule craftin weapons and enhancing them with parts you find an the corresponding ammount of parts is quite fun and rewardung I find myself not really inclined tho further Laras skills. The Reason for tha lies in some questionally design choices. You kann kill each and every human enemy once he has fallen to his knees from thes start. Our Heroine just grabs a stone and smashes the skull of the poor sap. With experience, she learns do do the same thing with her axe or guns for a higher XP award. Again, if you want to interpret that as developement into a ruthless killing machine, it's a story that can be told, but why am I, as the player responsible for the protaginist axing a Person instead of just stone-bashing him or her(there are no female enemies anyways)?

Got the game because I was told there was actual exploring and classical "Tomb Raider-ing" aside of the story, but it turns out, the optional Tombs are rather small in scale and not that hard to master.

I wouldn't recoment the reboot, since the three entries the series had before it outshine it in ervery respect. Get Anniversary, its much better, or Legend and Underworld.
  30. Nov 29, 2013
    Tomb Raider is one hell of a surprise.

It layers down attitude, gameplay and amazing world content. I wasent expecting this game to be so good. But the problem is mostly that is its too easy. Way too easy. I read a review before i bought it and also contained a whole lot of complains considering the difficulty and AI. And i can agree too 100%. Its like laughable at some point.
    Tomb Raider is one hell of a surprise.

But the problem is mostly that is its too easy. Way too easy.

Your still a "tank" even when your playing on the hardest difficulty. I finished the game almost with only the bow and fire arrows. I managed to only use weapons 10-20% of the game. Its like the plasma cutter from Dead Space.

Even tho its lacking AI and difficulty, it got some nice environment and fun gameplay.

I recommend this game, but only if you rent it or buy a used copy.
  31. Dec 23, 2013
    As far as video game reboots go, this is certainly one of the more polished and well executed ones out there, although the direction the series has gone will most likely leave people more familiar with the Tomb Raider games of the 1990s a little disappointed. The direction the series has taken is one of a cover shooter/ action adventure, with tomb raiding being relegated to an optionalAs far as video game reboots go, this is certainly one of the more polished and well executed ones out there, although the direction the series has gone will most likely leave people more familiar with the Tomb Raider games of the 1990s a little disappointed. The direction the series has taken is one of a cover shooter/ action adventure, with tomb raiding being relegated to an optional secondary activity. The main focus is instead on survival, and ultimately trying to escape from the island which Lara and a ship full of sailors and archaeologists have been marooned on. While this new gameplay is entertaining, it does tend to miss out on the charm of older Tomb Raider titles. Puzzles are very few and far between, and almost non-existent outside of the optional tombs. Instead, the developers have opted for lots and lots of collectables.

The gameplay is enjoyable, the collectables and optional tombs give something other than the main plot to focus on, and the upgradeable weapons and xp make the game pleasantly addictive. There are quicktime events, but unlike certain previous games in the Tomb Raider franchise, they're relatively unobtrusive. There are however a few gripes. In an attempt to keep players interested once the plot was finished, the game is designed in a way that prevents players from fully upgrading their weapons without grinding, and prevents easily finding all of the collectables during the course of the story. Seemingly in an attempt to urge the player to continue the story and not bother looking around until later, lighting levels are kept low throughout the course of the campaign. As somebody who doesn't care to play a single player game once the story is over, attempting to find all of the collectables in the dark before finishing the story was incredibly frustrating. As far as the story goes, there are also a few issues with Lara's character development. Mostly, it becomes a bit difficult to take the absurd level of abuse hurled at Lara seriously after a while. It makes sense to show Lara enduring physical and emotional pain, this is a prequel, it's meant to show how Lara grew into who she was in the other Tomb Raider games. That said, there's a fine line between character building and throwing enough physical trauma at a character to kill them 20 times over, and this game has the latter.

Overall however, despite its flaws, it must be said that this is a well polished, and very fun game, and certainly one worth checking out. It's not perfect, but it's a fitting reboot to an old franchise, even if it does seem to be changing what the series is about.
  32. Nov 4, 2014
    We all know Tomb Raider. It's an action adventure game, where you play as an overy sexualized British lady, and you shoot bad guys, and solve puzzles, and find relics; however, it's always been a bit cartoony. This reboot of Tomb Raider is real, and it's nitty, and it's gritty.

But is that a bad thing? It depends on what you want. For me I thought it was a good game, but with too much deviation. Here are my cons and pros:

CONS 1. There were not enough puzzling elements to the game. There were some, but they often didn't make sense, or weren't particularly enthralling. The puzzle/logic aspect to this game has been watered down a great deal in favor of action and adventure. 2. Combat, while improved in comparison to the other Tomb Raider games, is still lacking. It's hard to maneuver and turn when a million guys are attacking. You have to constantly switch back and forth between perspectives, and the dodge move Lara does isn't very good. Why does she crawl like a dog? It often moves you in the wrong direction. However, the combat isn't all bad. The auto cover is an excellent feature. And I also don't think they should scrap the idea of a combined system, where you view Lara in 3rd and 1st person modes. It's just that they need to make Lara more robust and able to dodge attacks better. Semi-assisted aiming would be good too. 3. I hate how the game automatically autosaves when you exit the campfire. What if I don't want to save it and I just want to experiment with my upgrades? 4. Tiny text. Why is the text so tiny? It's hard to see, especially when you consider the colors they chose to display information. 5. Lara is very sluggish in comparison to her former self. She's not as acrobatic and it feels more realistic...yeah, but it's not as fun. She can't leap and hop like she used to. Oh, sure, Lara is still a super human, but she needs to be more acrobatic, I feel. 6. Why does she scurry around like a dog? Why can't she just duck and skulk like a normal person (in a video game)? 7. It was very hard to see in some points of the game. The environments were too busy. It was way too dark. There was wind, and snow, and rain blowing in your face. You didn't know where to go. It made the game kind of annoying to play. There weren't huge issues with camera, but clarity was a problem. 8. Graphics are beautiful, yet somehow lacking. A lot of the environment looked dark and stiff. There was no sense of wonderement. You felt like you were always in a prison of some sort. 9. Voice acting. It's not that anyone did a bad job at voice acting, but I feel like the other Laras in Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld had better, more lively voices. 10. Button mashing! I hated it. It was so annoying to have to mash button X to open or do something. A couple times should do it. Having to press X rapidly 15 or 20 times is irritating. At most it should be 5 times. 11. So, you're in this huge rather lush world, but it's easy to get lost, and lose sight of your objectives. The "instincts" button while helpful didn't always hit the mark. In another Tomb Raider game I played she gave verbal clues, which was great, and in my opinion should be implemented into the next game in addition to the instincts tool. This would give further clarity as to what you have to do and where to go. 12. The story was so so. Nothing compelling or really emotional. I thought it lacked heart, and some of what happened was just ridiculous, and made no sense. It lacked consistency. 13. Game errors. There was a point in the game where my game just completely froze for no reason. I understand why this happens, but it should not be a thing.

PROS (There are more pros than there are cons in this game, but I'm only listing what stuck out.) 1. I like how the remodeled Lara to make her more realistic. Her boobs, while still quite large, are not as ridiculous as they once were. And she looks more like an explorer rather than a stripper. 2. I really like the open world, how you can explore, and move around. Makes you feel like you're there. The environments are large and spacious. While I noted they weren't perfect it is much an improvement over the previous games. The graphics at times can be very, very beautiful. 3. Pumping up the action was a great idea. It really pushed you along in the game. Made you feel excited. 4. Other than my comments on the puzzling elements, the style of gameplay was mixed together quite well. It was not completely linear. There were parts of the game where you only had to run and slide, or push the button at the right moments, and was used in the right amount. 5. The weapons upgrades were good fun. It gave an RPG feel to the game. ... In conclusion: Good game. Can be a bit frustrating, but worth checking out. Especially if you're a Tomb Raider fan. If you're not you still might like this.
  33. Mar 2, 2014
    Lara Croft is Born.

Pros: Amazing graphics. Semi open world. Great level design. Atmospheric. Great protagonist with the nice English accent. Triple A voice acting. Action packed. About 10 to 16 hrs. Cons: Story is ridiculous. Lara's friends are bland. Side tombs are uninspired. Exploring island is too scripted. Lara is like a god surviving all that chaos, she's not
    Lara Croft is Born.

Pros:
    Amazing graphics.
    Semi open world.
    Great level design.
    Atmospheric.
    Great protagonist with the nice English accent.
    Triple A voice acting.
    Action packed.
    About 10 to 16 hrs.

Cons:
    Story is ridiculous.
    Lara's friends are bland.
    Side tombs are uninspired.
    Exploring island is too scripted.
    Lara is like a god surviving all that chaos, she's not superman, make it less set pieced.
  34. Sep 2, 2014
    Tomb Raider (2013) starts interestingly, it has a good story and we get CGI cutscenes. But the more it progressed i came less to like this game: lack of tombs , traps, animal fights, things what makes a great adventure that relaxing atmosphere in the past Tomb raider games ..oh! and the memorable music. The game has very nice graphics. When Lara isn't shooting human enemies it's quite niceTomb Raider (2013) starts interestingly, it has a good story and we get CGI cutscenes. But the more it progressed i came less to like this game: lack of tombs , traps, animal fights, things what makes a great adventure that relaxing atmosphere in the past Tomb raider games ..oh! and the memorable music. The game has very nice graphics. When Lara isn't shooting human enemies it's quite nice to play but there are many big action sequences and fighting against enemies, the game invests too heavily on action, which Isn't my liking. I get the feeling I've seen this many times before Expand
  35. Mar 8, 2015
    A bit too much 'Action' and way too less riddles. This Game has also way too many "wanna-be-cinematic"-cutscenes and many, many ideas from 'Survival-Horror' Games, especially from "Dead Space" (by the way: I think it has more blood than "Dead Space"). Weapon-Upgrades; Open World, but not really Open World etc. And then there is additionally HP-Regeneration (worst Game-Feature ever.) TheA bit too much 'Action' and way too less riddles. This Game has also way too many "wanna-be-cinematic"-cutscenes and many, many ideas from 'Survival-Horror' Games, especially from "Dead Space" (by the way: I think it has more blood than "Dead Space"). Weapon-Upgrades; Open World, but not really Open World etc. And then there is additionally HP-Regeneration (worst Game-Feature ever.) The Game isn't bad, but it has the typical "Game-diseases" which have many Games in this decade. Oh and climbing reminds me a little bit of the "Prince of Persia"-Series... Expand
  36. Mar 10, 2013
    Prepare to die in this game a lot,sure mostly it is brilliant,but has way to many tedious moments to get a perfect score for me,firstly it's way to combat heavy,not much exploring more shooting and is over loaded with dreadful Quick time events that can't be avoided and force the player to repeat them over and over again until you get it right,you get prompts to follow,but if the first onePrepare to die in this game a lot,sure mostly it is brilliant,but has way to many tedious moments to get a perfect score for me,firstly it's way to combat heavy,not much exploring more shooting and is over loaded with dreadful Quick time events that can't be avoided and force the player to repeat them over and over again until you get it right,you get prompts to follow,but if the first one isn't carried out 100 percent you fail to get the next, it's Resident Evil 6 all over again,haven't the developers learned nothing,I guess not,this alone almost made me give up playing and ruins an otherwise great experience,this game looks utterly fantastic and the controls mostly work well,there's plenty of extra's to find and you can retrace your steps most of the time to go back looking for stuff,but like to many games these days not enough efforts been put into quality control and because the annoying elements of the game I don't have the patience to finish it which is annoying since I payed out £50 plus the guide,it could have been great,but then they blew it,what a waste. Collapse

1. Apr 5, 2013
    The new Tomb Raider is not as revolutionary as the original from 1996 but this reboot is the most mature, interesting and friendly entry to the series. For me it is Uncharted on steroids, a game that’s better in every aspect than Nathan Drake’s adventures. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.52]
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a fine game, but something essential feels like it has been left out. Lara seems to have found the map, but missed the treasure.
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is the second best Uncharted game behind Uncharted 2. While it gives up a lot of its adventure identity fans have come to know and love, the end result is still a fantastic game that shouldn’t be missed by any action fan. If Crystal Dynamics can inject more adventure elements into a potential sequel, it would be a pretty interesting proposition indeed.