8.5

1. Mar 5, 2013
    The game play is awesome.Like really awesome. Lara's characterization is amazing. Upgrade system is epic. Exploration is wonderful and challenging. And finally the story... its pretty good most of the time.
    I can assure u this will be one of the best of games of 2013!!!!
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is amazing! I have never played a tomb raider game in my many years of gaming, and what a great time it was to start! Being new to the series doesn't matter at all. You fall in love with the characters in story mode. There are endless things to do such as find certain collectibles. This game is very open and similar to far cry 3 but with better graphics, lovable characters, a great story, and amazing 3rd person. My only complaint is that there is no online horde/ survival mode to do with friends (even co-op would be great). The multiplayer is still entertaining and nothing is more rewarding than setting a trap and catching an enemy to execute him! It's awesome. Expand
  3. Mar 5, 2013
    Tomb Raider set out to be an origin story, to reboot the franchise and it has completed that goal above and beyond. As every origin story should it provides in amazing detail the changes of Lara Croft through her adventures. Tomb Raider appeals to everyone, fans of adventure games, fans of Lara Croft and fans of video games. This reboot is a must buy.
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    So glad I bought this game, there's so much to explore and it really shows how the famous 'Lara Croft' came to be. There's total freedom in exploration (once you have the tools required, of course) and you can fast travel if need be back to previous locations. Different weapons that you can upgrade, tweak etc. Enemies seem 'smart', they'll duck for cover if you shoot at them, although sometimes they'll just go berserk and charge ya. The finishing moves are awesome, and there's surprisingly a lot of gore in the game too. Definite 10 from me. Expand
  5. Mar 17, 2013
    I have played every Tomb Raider since the beginning and this reboot is by far the best ever. Letting the player experience Lara's origin and that fact that she's not perfect, finds herself in serious trouble and gets pretty badly beat up is in amazing experience. I winced and felt for Lara every time she got hit by an enemy, fell off a cliff and got impaled. The game mechanics are so immersive that I forget I am playing a video game. It's more like watching a compelling movie.

Bravo!
  6. Mar 13, 2013
    I finally made a Metacritic account just to review this game. I am a big fan of mature, story-driven games with deep character development. Thus, I hold games like Bioshock or Witcher in a very high regard. That being said, this game is a gem. I have never been a fan of the Tomb Raider series mainly because the story for many of the games seemed overly fantastical and borderline absurd. Furthermore, previous Tomb Raider games featured an overly sexualized Lara Croft who was not very relatable or likeable. This game, however, is a much needed breath of fresh air and a wonderful reboot of the franchise.

First of all, the new Lara Croft is often vulnerable, but still strong and resilient. The way her personality and character developed throughout the story was just beautiful. As a player, one begins to care about the character as if she were a real person.

Second of all, there is an incredible amount of detail in all of the different environments. The forests, shanty towns, ship wrecks, caves, and tombs are littered with so much visual eye-candy that it really brings the player into the game. As a history buff, I absolutely loved finding the different artifacts and also found the optional tombs and the ancient ruins to be breathtaking. This game does not skimp on the visuals.

In summary, I definitely recommend this game to anyone who favors story, character development, and exploration over straight action. Although there are brief episodes of intense fighting, the focus of this game is really to tell a story that is filled with moments of mystery, awe, sadness, and grace.
  7. Mar 6, 2013
    There has been a lot of doubt to me in the gaming industry lately for me. Time after time again I have been renting and buying new games only to get let down from my favorite franchises. Well folks my faith has been restored in my gaming with this gem of a title. I really cannot express the amount of amazing work Crystal Dynamics has pulled out here. From the graphics which in some scenes look next gen and i am not even joking to the smooth as butter controls everything is polished to perfection. Easy menu navigation and awesome upgrades only add to the game. Some of the AI gets confused for a bit but otherwise pretty challenging because they keep you on your toes. All I can say is go buy, rent or whatever you do to get games and play this now. This is a breath of fresh air and easily one of the best third person action games I have played in years. This score is purely based on the single player as i have yet to try the multiplayer because of how amazing the single player is. TOMB RAIDER IS BACK. Expand
  8. Mar 6, 2013
    So I have only ever played one TR game in the past... I can't even remember what it was. This game is amazing and is extremely polished. People are rating it low because it is "An Uncharted knock off." LOL I remember when Uncharted came out and they said that it was a Tomb Raider knock-off. People... It's a video game. Quit with the politics and just enjoy it. It's been a long time since a game this polished and fun came out. Expand
  9. Mar 5, 2013
    Extremely well done game, polished with superb visual side. This one is a mix of Far Cry 3 Uncharted with some RE4 feeling. Controlling Lara's movement while running through wilderness, caves, tombs, climbing and jumping is very natural and feels even more smoothly than in ACIII, where I have found some glitches/errors from time to time. Tomb Rider is a great action game with some survival feeling and exploration. The switch from lock on shooting type to the new TPS style system works really well, each encounter with your foes is very brutal and engaging. Absolutely love the graphics the landscapes are amazing, with stunning visuals mountains, watefalls, rivers, caves and villages. With each new location you want to stop and just look around and admire the views. This game will keep you all the time at the edge of your seat, pushing you to play for hrs and just looking forward to see what will happen next. my score is 10/10 Expand
  10. Mar 5, 2013
    This is by far the best Tomb Raider i have ever played. The graphics are amazing, the puzzles are like side missions and feels very rewarding to discover the way to its end. The loot system is very well implemented with chances for you to upgrade weapons either from salvage or from finding new mods and new parts. You also have a talent system where you can improve your hunting or surviving or fighting skills. The island where you are being thrown has lots of stuff going on, it is enclouded with mistery and you can feel dark forces around. This is definately a must buy game for your Tomb Raider collection. Expand
  11. Mar 5, 2013
    I register to make a review of this epic game. save the best for last.. it is a great game for this dying days of console. the environment looks great character design is nice game play is awsome!!!. it feels like im playing on a next generation console.. its a bit short but the money you spend is worth it. the puzzle part of this game is a bit few. the story is so captivating and i cant even put down my controller. square enix and crystal dynamics did an excellent job in making this games! grab this game and you will never regret it. Expand
  12. Mar 5, 2013
    All I have to say is it is a phenomenal game!! It truly is a beautifully written and dark origin story. The environments are really stunning to look at and I honestly just stand there looking around to take in the scenery. The gamp,ay is not only fun but addicting and Camilla Luddington did an amazing job with the voice acting as well. It is just such an awesome game, I can't even find the right words to describe it. Expand
  13. Mar 6, 2013
    Un juego excelente, el modelado de Lara es impresionante, los escenarios muy bien diseñados y en ciertos momentos genera mucha tensión, la pena es que está todo demasiado guiado y no deja nada de libertad.
  14. Mar 6, 2013
    This truly Is a Tomb Raider game, sure it has more combat than the classic Tomb Raider's but that's just based on the fact gaming trends have changed. The Graphics are amazing! The Story is a little bit predictable but still good enough and Lara is actually believable and more likable now! 100% game of the year! must play!
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    A fantastic reboot for the Tomb Raider series. The game truly makes Lara Croft a relatable character in the modern video game audience. From start to finish this is an origin story you do not want to miss. A few minor criticisms but these never detract from the game and more so to do with there wasn't enough of them ...

+ Engaging and intriguing storyline
    + Fantastic Pacing and mix of
    gamely
    + Amazing graphics and atmospheric environments (literally the best looking game I have seen on my console)
    + Dynamic combat and XP system

- Would have liked to see more puzzles harder puzzles Multiplayer is standard. Would have been nice to see something unique here maybe a cool co-op etc

Still these never take away from the true masterpiece that is Tomb Raider. For action adventure fans this is a must buy. For anyone who plays games at all MUST BUY.
  16. Mar 7, 2013
    I have to update my review because I played the multiplayer portion of the game. It is bad, so bad. Garbage all the way. I know the only reason for adding a multiplayer is money. Online passes, map packs, outfits all equal profits. In this case it was a mistake to green light that crap. Once game makers start making great stand alone single player games and realize that multiplayer is not a cash cow necessity, then you will earn respect and maybe more profits. Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2013
    I've been a BIG fan of the series since 1996, and let me just get this out of the way, I am a Core Design fanboy. Crystal Dynamics have finally nailed it. OK so they'll never meet the high standard set by Core, noone ever will, but this is a step in the right direction. Good for you guys, I'm very impressed. Get this game.
  18. Mar 6, 2013
    One word can describe this game. EPIC. As we all know, fans and haters it's probably the game, which is always more "evolved" than the other games. Also the graphics are AMAZING. I thought i was watching the 3rd Tomb Raider movie!
  19. Mar 5, 2013
    Tomb Raider is back and better than ever. What's awesome is that, despite being a reboot, the classic aspects of Tomb Raider that we all know and love is still very much present in this game. There is still a huge emphasis on puzzles, platforming, and exploration. Combat, this time around, is much more prevalent which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it works well, and is seamless. The cover system itself is innovative, eliminating the chunkiness of taking cover that plagues most third person shooters. Instead, Lara blends with environments with ease. The new Lara is a huge improvement over the past iterations. The story is also stronger than the past games which gives us incentive to care about the characters. All in all, an amazing game. It's no wonder that, after 9 games, Lara is considered an icon. She is a legend. Enough said. Expand
  20. Mar 5, 2013
    Got this game for free with my graphics card. Came in with no expectations, but was I ever wrong!

Graphics are phenomenal; music and ambient sound is spooky and keeps you on edge; combat is straightforward and fun; storyline is awesome and entirely believable; character development is fantastic the list goes on and on.

The only detrimental aspects of the game are the quick time
    events and the GUI. I understand the QTEs make you focus on imporant parts of the storyline or keep you on the edge of your seat, but they get tiresome and really require no skill other than waiting to press a certain button at a specific moment.

The GUI in upgrading weapons/skills could have been designed better. After about 30 seconds of switching through it, I quickly got a headache from all the jostling around on the screen.

Nevertheless, I was truly blown away by this game. Coming from a fan of the original Tomb Raiders from the 90's, this is a breath of fresh air into what was stagnated game franchise. While it is not perfect (but truly, what games are?) it is still one of the best games of 2013. If you are on the fence about getting this game, wait no longer. Go and purchase it immediately. It will not disappoint.
  21. Mar 7, 2013
    One of the best game I´ve played this year. It´s Awesome and you won´t regret buyng it. It´s not fair the comparison with Uncharted. Each game have it´s own issues. I`ve spent more than two days to reach only 50%. M
  22. Mar 6, 2013
    The Game is awesome! next gen is here! the story is not very interesting but its Ok. the game-play are amazing. enemies are interesting, everything in this game are amazing! Must Buy
  23. Mar 19, 2013
    This is what tomb raider needed in my opinion to stay competitive with the like of uncharted, the graphics are amazing the story is epic, square Enix have made Lara back to her best.
  24. Mar 5, 2013
    Everything you want in a gaming experience and more. The story, the character growth of Laura Croft, the exciting/gorgeous cinematic visuals that perfectly meld into the gameplay--it is fun, fun, and more fun-- don't miss this one!!
  25. Mar 5, 2013
    A great reboot of the game making Lara grounded and more of a person than a symbol. Gear and skills are good but I wish they add more. The cinematics here are super high quality like from an action move
  26. Mar 7, 2013
    One of my favorite games of this year so far. It is amazing the work Crystal Dynamics has put into this titles. A perfect example that installed franchises can still offer creativity when developed properly. The game is smooth and responsive, impressive and innovative. Action packed during the full campaign and the plot is reasonably well driven. Nathan Drake now has a serious competitor in the action/adventure playground; I mean this is like a dream made true for all of us hardcore fans of the series. Recommended with no doubts, totally worth the money. Expand
  27. Mar 5, 2013
    I hate to compare this to uncharted, but it is all most impossible, but this should be seen as a complement. This game does every Uncharted does, and in my opinion much better. The story is great, and it had me interested from beginning to end, Lara is played brilliantly well, even if her transition from average girl to full blown badass is jarring. It plays great, the combat, to my surprise is very enjoyable. The cover system is one of the best I have seen, it's seamless and never slows down the action, the guns and bow feel great. The platforming is simple, and not to challenging, but none the less it's still fun and make for some really great cinematic moments. The game defiantly is not as puzzle heavy as the previous game, but there are puzzles, and they are fun.
    The game looks fantastic, full of colour, varied environments and never noticed texture pop in, frame rate slows down sometime but never enough to ruin the experience.
    The game does have multiplayer, to be honest it's pretty standard stuff, it's not bad by any means, but I just don't see it lasting. Overall a very enjoyable experience, a successful reboot, have high hopes of what could come. 8.5
  28. Mar 7, 2013
    LARA IS THE QUEEN
    THE KING INDIANA JONES

SORRY DRAKE FANBOYS
  29. Mar 6, 2013
    This is the best Tomb Raider yet, and is one of the best games of its generation. It has a a great storyline, narrative, charismatic characters, wonderful graphics and, best of all, it has Lara Croft, the female icon of video games. This time, Lara is more human and she looks very real, and is a breath of fresh air in a world that is predominantly full of male characters. All in all, I want to say: bravo Crystal Dynamics and bravo for the new Tomb Raider! Definitely Lara IS back. Expand
  30. Mar 6, 2013
    Ok, so I was actually expecting a pretty good time from the new Tomb Raider but boy was I proved wrong. It's a bloody great time!
    While I do have a few gripes they are all minor things that are easily overshadowed by the sheer awesome.
    But for the sake of fairness let's go through them.
    First. The game do start off fairly weak. For the first 15-20 minutes I was certain that I they had
    just jacked up the drama a little bit and gone for more cinematic angles to become in essence Tomb Raider: Uncharted. However once you get through the first part and the game opens up a little I was quite blown away. The games progression is still linear but you have quite a bit of freedom exploring your surroundings and the game does a really good job at making you feel like you're not being led on rails (most of the time). My second gripe is that the game feeds you too much resources. There is quite literally ammunition every ten metres or so. It's next to impossible to run out of ammo. I really hope they release a survival mode that makes scavenging and hunting more important parts of the game. The third gripe is the one that annoys me the most (though your mileage may vary) and it's the QTEs.
    I really really really hate the QTEs in this game. If I get the game over screen in this game it's about 99% probability that it was from a QTE. The game also does a really piss poor job of explaining exactly what you button you need to press and when. I must have been choked 20 times before I figured out what I needed to do.
    It's such a cheap way of adding "action" to a game and I loathe it with a passion.
    Thankfully there aren't that many of them but every time one comes along I'm unceremoniously ripped out of the immersion the game has managed to pull me into and I'm forced to hammer left/right for a few seconds and then hammer E or time a press of F. Gaaah!

Anyway.
    The good parts.
    The enviroments are really really good.
    While the "abandoned military installations on a tropical island" setting has been done lots of times before you can understand why since it's works so good and I doubt it has looked any better than this. Every part of the island has been crafted with expert care and attention to detail. Every time I enter a new part of the map I'm always excited to see what I will find this time.
    The game is also extremely good at mixing the action with the exploring. I'm not all the way through the game yet but the action has never overstayed it's welcome. The pacing of the game reminds me alot of Uncharted 2 3 and that is a really good thing (don't get me started on the pacing of the first Uncharted) The story is also well crafted and keeps you interested. You really want to find out the story behind it all and see how it comes together.

While the year is still young I have no doubt that this game will place on my top 10 of 2013.
  31. Mar 6, 2013
    I have played this game for 2 days straight and I'm still at 50 completion and its been wonders playing it. This game re borned the tomb raider series for the better and I'm glad I purchased this. Now the single player is amazing and easily worth 60 by itself but the developers also added multiplayer and I got to say coming from COD this is so much fun for me because it mixes pakour and claiming and all sorts of thing that make it fun but it does have some connectivities issues but its pretty rare. Bottom line is you won't regret this purchase. Expand
  32. Mar 7, 2013
    Its the best tombraider ever and i played all of them. The scale and the graphics the momentum its comparable or sometimes better than uncharted 3. This easily fit in game of the year 2013 nominees. Play it on pc and you will be blowen away by the hair physics(TressFx) by amd and some dx11 top notch graphics although the game look exceptionally fantastic on ps3 and xbox 360.

Its an epic
    10/10 game Expand
  33. Mar 5, 2013
    One of the best games Ive ever played. In 2D it looks good. In 3D its an incredible experience. I never was a fan of Tomb Raider series. Played few of them, never was impressed. But this game is just on another level and can be easily compared to Uncharted 2 in quality. Yes, it is that good
  34. Mar 8, 2013
    Probably one of the best value games for 2013. Crystal Dynamics have put a lot of time into this game and used the map beautifully. Great graphics and motion, the mechanics really work. Likely one of the games you will need to spend a lot of time completing but don't let that put you off. The puzzles in the game can make you have some weird dreams if played for 12+ hours as I found out. Your mind just won't shut down. It's just class though! Collapse
  35. Mar 5, 2013
    Every action fan has their favorites, among games some that hit chord with that thought include Batman: Arkham City, the Uncharted games, and maybe a tint of Far Cry as well. The thing with Tomb Raider is that it's like a hot fudge Sunday of all of those games, but still gets it own identity. The atmosphere is nailed, it's dark, even the lighter parts aren't too uplifting. We're in a realistic world with realistic physics and survival is key. The lighting is tremendous and only attributes to that atmosphere. The world is massive and abundant in resources, initially overwhelming but as the game goes on it's something you want to explore as you get new gear. Lara is a riveting character and as the game progresses you get to see every side of her from her first kill, making difficult decisions, killing animals for her survival, with a gain of remorse, and so many others. Gameplay is tight and responsive, nothing revolutionary for an action game but it has familiarity to it and style. The story is decent, you get engaged enough into the game to want to know what's coming next. Unfortunately the multiplayer, while decent, feels very tacked on. Stick to the single player mode, that's where the meat of the game is. Again everything in the game feels fantastic and I love to play it, it's not revolutionary. There's something to the game where even if you're not bewildered by everything, you're glued to the screen still wanting to continue though and that's what makes this game shine. Expand
  36. Mar 8, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a brilliantly crafted action/adventure game. Offering a directed experience, Tomb Raider is very cinematic, but it also features large environments within that allow you to explore, collect things, unlock pathways to new areas, etc. in the vein of the Metroidvania games. This is a very polished and beautiful game that deserves your attention. My one complaint are some annoying quick-time events. Expand
  37. Mar 5, 2013
    It is a very good game with likable characters in game like sam or new tomb. I have console version and pc if you have nvidia card mine is 550 ti) you can get high settings and good frame rate when turning of tessellation,high precise, normal for ssao and depth of field. Overal you should buy Tomb raider on both platform
  38. Mar 5, 2013
    Cada vez que jugaba a los juegos anteriores nunca los terminaba por que llegaba a aburrirme pero desde que lo vengo siguiendo mas o menos del 2011 creo o 2012, muy bien no me acuerdo, veía los trailers y como que me llamaba la atención y me daban ganas de probarlo, por suerte el martes me lo compre y hoy hace minutos lo termine.
    La verdad que yo no soy de sorprenderme tanto con algunos
    juegos solo pocos me han logrado sorprender y entre esos pocos voy a meter a este nuevo tomb raider. Nunca espere que me gustara tanto y me dieran ganas de terminarlo bueno ahora hablare sobre el juego.
    La historia se basa en que un grupo de.... no me sale la palabra bueno no importa ellos quieren descubrir sobre una reina del sol llamada "himiko" y tienen que dirigirse a una isla que no sale en el mapa.Bueno siendo sincero no se esmeraron en una gran historia pero es lo suficiente como para entretener. Esta lara croft es genial ,fragil al principio hasta que se convierte en una superviviente que no teme a nada, uno de los personajes femeninos de videojuegos que mas me gusta encima la pobre se hace mierda siempre xD Hablando gráficamente se ve excelente a pesar que la versión de 360 es inferior a la de ps3 y pc se ve muy bien los detalles del los lugares son geniales.
    La jugabilidad del juego es muy buena en ningún momento me queje ni putee la verdad que me sentí muy cómodo.
    La historia como dije no es la gran cosa ,mezclan la realidad con lo mistico(no se si en los otros juegos mezclan lo mitico) pero es entretenida lastima que el modo historia es corto y,para mi, el final no me gusto mucho y es predecible
    Algo que si pudieron haber hecho mejor ,es la inteligencia artificial de los enemigos porque puede resultar algo "fácil" debes en cuando te la saben complicar pero en la mayoría del juego es fácil.Una ambientación excelente la verdad que es muy buena, un mundo abierto y que siempre tengas que revisar todo el lugar por que seguro que hay para registrar alguna tumba ,lugares secretos ,recoger cofres o libros etc. Todo el mapa se conecta en si podes pasar por el mismo lugar como mas de 4 veces(aunque sigas el modo historia volves a pasar si o si) eso hace que ademas de hacer la historia te podrás entretener un rato. Los puzzles son divertidos pero algo simples los puzzles de los juegos anteriores son mas difíciles(eso fue lo que me llevo a no terminarlos xD, era chico y no me gustaba trabarme en un juego).
    Este juego de los otros que eh jugado, que por decirlo asi es el mas "oscuro" ,porque las muertes de los enemigos o de lara misma son algo fuertes hay mas sangre que en los otros
    Podes cazar,andar libremente por la isla buscando secretos y objetos para completar el juego al 100% ,aumentar de rango, mejorar las armas,no puedo hablar del modo multiplayer por que no lo puedo jugar. Aplaudo a Crystal dinamics por este excelente juego, aunque me hubiera gustado que lo hubieran hecho mas largo.
  39. Mar 5, 2013
    Tomb raider is one of the best game had ever play.The graphics are amazing, the puzzles are like side missions and feels very rewarding to discover the way to its end. I wish a sequel and DLC
  40. Mar 5, 2013
    More than just the reboot. It is should be the original. I know that there are a lot of people complain about this new TR reboot. But myself, this is one of the best TR so far. This is how a reboot should be. TR reboot has: open world include puzzles, secret tombs, action with diversity upgrade and skills, a lot of documents and relics, achievements to make the game more funnier and longer than any TR has been made before. Trust me, this is worth your time for the new gamers and very attractive game for the old hardcore gamers, too. Expand
  41. Mar 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. great job from the boys of crystal dinamics once again, totally worth the money!! One hell of a reboot, not like other games such as devil may cry or Resident evil Expand
  42. Mar 5, 2013
    The game really very good, a great deal of time and effort has been spent in putting the story and plot into a ‘real’ world setting this game is unlike the other tomb raider games where the emphasis was on high level complex puzzle solving, Lara’s outfits and the size of her chest. This woman is someone entirely different; a ‘deeper’ person, young, very green and afraid but not naïve, weak or fragile. The graphics are smooth and fluid with not a load screen in sight, the visuals are very good and well polished with lots of nice scenery the audio keeps pace with the action. The controls scheme is natural and lets you make the most of each area without having to manhandle your controller as long as you pay attention and keep up with Lara, as direction changes rapidly and when you least expect it. The pace is quick most of the time and not forgiving if you get distracted off screen. The puzzle element is not as strong as previous games; it is more obvious and not nearly as complex. Character upgrading in the form of weapon and equipment upgrades is measured, evenly paced and eminently more enjoyable with stealth or shock and awe assault options in almost every situation dependant on playing style. The games storyline is in tune with earlier games, carrying the archaeological/ supernatural elements forward well and while not the obvious highlight it does make you curious as Lara self narrates as you ride on her shoulder. The developers have taken the best elements of several of the best games in this genre and blended them into this game to make it utterly an enthralling experience. That said the game is serious, and for more mature games, should Lara die or fall you see her expire in a very gruesome and confronting manner each time this game pulls no punches and is well worth the money. Expand
  43. Mar 8, 2013
    Looks great, feels great, overall a wonderful game. Because, the secret to an exceptional yard is a capable lawn mower that lasts decades without any visible deterioration in performance or durability, and Crystal Dynamics have nailed it.
  44. Mar 7, 2013
    Lara is back and she is back better then ever before. Wait more so! This game has style, not just graphics, but in its environments, quests, movements and game play. I never been too much of a fan of quick time events, but this game shows how they can be done to perfection. Each one unique and placed in interesting a pivotal places. It really makes you feel move involved in Lara's actions and her struggle. I never yelled encouragement at my TV before but Lara has done that. Great voice acting and believable movements and actions make for a fantastic narrative and setting. The weapon upgrading system is clever and add more visual flare as you upgrade your bow, pistol, shotgun a rifle. The use of only four weapons should be a hindrance, but they are designed in a way that make you interact with the environment. A superb game which I cannot fault, I really cant think of anything I disliked or noticed as out of place. A must buy for gamer, not just a fan of the series, this game is something else! Expand
  45. Mar 6, 2013
    Love it! Not a typical tomb raider game. This one is more like a reset that heads to a different direction, and it is very successful.

I feel like it's influenced b the Uncharted series which is a good thing. Now TR finally has a great story combined with great game play. There is just something about watching LC cry and struggle through all the obstacles. I am getting addicted. The
    character development is really good in this game. You get to explore and grow with LC, watching her getting stronger and become the great explorer! Expand
  46. Mar 7, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a standalone classic within itself. Fans of the series may find themselves feeling strange with the more action adventure oriented game play, which is done in a more conventional style similar to Farcry 3 (©2013, Ubisoft)- in fact, parallels can be made with the game play regarding the environment interactivity, such as hunting and the RPG system of gaining experience for kills, relevant storyline actions, hidden loot and relics, however; with a system of beneficial crates and extra missions that are enjoyable and worthwhile stashed throughout the island, players are given a heightened incentive to explore. In fact, an additional similarity with Farcry 3 can be drawn to the overall premise. Where the game shines is within its production values, overall fluidity of controls, as well as a solid plot and stellar voice actors. One more distinct aspect of game play that can also be said to have been done prior is from Hitman: Absolution (2013, Square Enix), in which a heightened awareness can be activated, however unlike in the aforementioned title and for the benefit of Tomb Raider, this device is implemented to effectively encourage exploration and attention to detail to the environment, as objects such as plants, animals and crates appear highlighted on the screen. There is an interesting amount of realism to the game and this is in concerns to the direct characterization of the protagonist and the potential enmeshment for the gamer, made all the more great by a strong hook and a very gritty unveiling of the creation of what is, for all intents and purposes, a strong-willed woman who is malleable and apt to adapt to survive. It is refreshing to find a game in a male dominated market that offers such, as most women in games are portrayed as timid or in need of protection. On this note it should be mentioned that some gamers may be turned off by the role, perhaps because of the novelty and difference, although if preconception and doubts can be set aside, the treasure is plentiful.

The adventure itself is fresh, given a presentation that is surprisingly macabre- with the graphics having a very desaturated tone to them, highlighting shadows and using an all around dark pallet, these constituents create a dim mood, almost somber or melancholy. It is this, over and above all the ingredients above that make for a classic within the genre, in note as the most stellar entry in the series. Issues with the game that some players may find could be that of its linearity, although the game is neither dull nor repetitive, with the tasks at hand providing an interaction that makes the player not only want to focus but be drawn into the smooth surroundings by tight controls and realistic physics. In addition, reply value is somewhat questionable, although many games similar that are heavily focused on narrative and eventual development fit with tutorials may leave the gamer with little desire to replay the title immediately. Regardless, this game is a definitive must have, with everything so ideally polished and honed that Tomb Raider is hard to put down for any gamer who enjoys adventure, exploration, a firm plot, and action. Even if not to necessarily a game to be played within the years to come, without doubt it will stand the test of time and is a must have for fans to put on the shelf.

Score 10/10
  47. Mar 8, 2013
    This game blew my mind. The visuals are amazing with a beyond solid frame rate. The motion capture is some of the best that I have ever seen. Lara moves very realistic and fluid.

With a solid story and a very moving cut scenes, this is a very hard game to put down.
  48. Mar 13, 2013
    Simply put: LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT....ALL OVER AGAIN!!! Like many who have reviewed here on MC, I have been a fan of Lara since the original Tomb Raider on the Playstation. Fast forward to Lara's last two romps (not including the DLC) on the Xbox 360 didn't really do much for me. I was nice to have Lara doing what Lara does best, shoot, run, jump, and solve puzzles, but it was lacking a soul, if that makes any sense...
    Enter the NEW Tomb Raider!! Right from the get-go, this game takes a gamble on a whole new "reboot" and isn't scared to put the emotion or SOUL as you will, back into Lara Croft we knew and loved. Seeing her younger is already refreshing. She naieve yet determined, scared, yet trying to survive every second of the game...Literally!! If you don't think Lara is a pure BADASS after playing this game, you need to get your head examined; I have never seen ANY character go through so much punishment in a game before and STILL, run, shoot, jump, and simply SURVIVE every situation she's in. I'm sorry Nathan Drake, you've just got pwned...by a girl!! BRAVO to you EIDOS!! Thank you for creating such a memorable, wonderful, heart pounding, emotional, and rewarding game that I have been waiting for such a long time out of Lara!! Long live Eidos! And long live Lara Croft!!!
    P.S. to Eidos: STOP TRYING TO BE LIKE UNCHARTED AND DITCH THE MULTIPLAYER!! ITS HORRIBLE!
    -Peace Out!
  49. Mar 8, 2013
    I enjoyed this game immensely. From the story, to combat, to the environment and visuals, everything is excellent. There could have been a few more and tougher puzzles, but overall it's amazing. I thought Uncharted was really good, until I played this. Polished, fun, and I couldn't put it down.
  50. Mar 6, 2013
    I went into this game not knowing what to expect. Tomb Raider game mechanics have been stale since the PS2 version. How refreshing this reboot is! It looks gorgeous (as does Lara) and plays equally as good! It doesn't hit the heights of the Uncharted series but comes close. Overall this is a great reboot and I look forward to Tomb Raider 2 on next gen.
  51. Mar 5, 2013
    I wasn't getting my hopes up with this game,but to my amazement the game is simply brilliant. I haven't had so much fun with an adventure game since Uncharted 3! The graphics are polished, especially the pc version. There are loads of white knuckle moments, which makes me kill Lara on purpose just to replay them over and over. So far the best game this year for me.
  52. Mar 6, 2013
    Brilliant game, wonderful graphics, sound and detail. The remaking of Lara Croft is handled extremely well. It borrows from Uncharted, just like Uncharted took and ran with the original Tomb Raider. If you like a good story, quite a bit of exploration, with a dab of puzzling and action, this is a game for you. Welcome back Lara.
  53. Mar 13, 2013
    Although I have yet to complete the game (approximately 60%), I have to say I look forward to jumping back into it each time I get home from work. The game is beautiful, the shooting feels right and the story is quite entertaining. However, I'm even more entertained by the scoring results. At the time of this review there are 296 positive results and 30 negative results. I tend to liken this to light bulb reviews; if 99 out of 100 folks say their light bulb is nice and bright, but 1 of them trashes it, guess which one was unable to figure out how to work the light bulb? It would make more sense if the votes were half and half but when just about all the grown-ups enjoy the game, I would say it's a success. Expand
  54. Mar 7, 2013
    Chapeau! This is a truly amazing game..i'm stunned about the graphics, didnt expect anything like it on my old 360. i would also like to mention that the fighting mechanics which were always weak in the other tr games are pretty good now and certainly better than uncharted which is mentioned often in comparison. so thank you crystal dynamics for this ride and for the effort. the attention to detail in every location is really appreciated. Expand
  55. Mar 5, 2013
    Amazing Gamer, its like a mix between uncharted 2, far cry 3 and the bonfires of Dark Souls. If you like action adventure, and care a little about Lara, this may be the best game for you. Its so beautifull and has a robust campaign of almost 15 hours, plus a lot of puzzle side exploration quest. The only thing that i really dont like much was the multiplayer. But this game is on a par with uncharted 2, and is way better than uncharted 3. Expand
  56. Mar 6, 2013
    I honestly don't know what I'd change about this game. The location is gorgeous, and wholly believable. definitely gives even far cry 3 a run for its money. The new Lara, who has some of the most believable motion capture I've ever seen in a game, gives an impressive amount emotional range and detail. may be the best game performance ever, i can't remember one more intense. Now, mind you, I love the Uncharted series, but especially when it comes to combat, namely gunplay, this game ANNIHILATES it. This is partially because of the new cover mechanic, and partially because an M rating gives developers more freedom to accurately depict violence. The puzzles are great, as long as you ignore the giveaway hint system, and figure them out on your own. The pacing has adrenaline at a constant high, and have a surprising amount of variation. Story is great, as long as your not easily turned off by a slightly cheesy supporting character or two. All in all, this is the first adventure game that has truly felt like an adventure worth taking. This game game certainly holds the adventure game throne, at least until The Last of Us comes out. Expand
  57. Mar 5, 2013
    I rate games based on how much fun I have while playing, Tomb Raider is loads of fun. Laura Croft maneuvers threw different terrain fluently. Her animations are top notch, similar to Drake's in Uncharted. I found the mechanics for upgrading your character unique and well designed, it didn't take away from the game play experience. I hated Assassins Creeds approach to shops and upgrades it was boring and ill designed. Tomb Raider only lacks in one area, audio. The sound quality is poor on my high end surround sound head phones. Note on television speakers the audio issues aren't noticeable. All in all this game is great, pulse pounding cut scenes and surprise attacks from enemies gets your blood pressure going. Expand
  58. Mar 13, 2013
    Tomb raider is back and better than ever.
    Not only is the reboot more challenging than the old games, its more compelling, you will feel like Lara has evolved throughout her journey. You will see Not only the physical but the mental damage she goes through and how she pulls through and emerges as true tomb raider.
    -combat
    Not exactly innovative but unique bow abilities and finishing
    moves
    -story
    Amazing, feels like a really good movie, like something Stanley Kubrick would direct.
    -parkour
    Feels like uncharted, but with a bit more options thanks to Lara's ability to jump walls and her climbing axe
    -bad things
    While the ending is quite satisfying, the final mission can get tedious because you thrown off balance a lot while being shot at
    The final boss battle is easy, Just wait for him to attack, dodge, roll behind him and put a shotgun round in his back

I almost forgot the graphics
    The graphics are amazing, so much attention went into this game, to put it simply this game makes halo 4 look like pacman the graphics are that amazing.
  59. Apr 24, 2013
    At first glance I thought this new Tomb raider would be a uncharted clone. But the end result was completely different then what i was expecting. The story was exciting and slowly piece together as you really notes left behind by characters. Lara is the star character in the game because she becomes a innocents girl to a killer. Though this was pretty fast because one moment she grieving from killing a man but then killing other people like nothing. It might have more enjoyable if the developers made this process a bit slower. The game mechanics of this game are really good and the weapons each have their own unique purpose. The stealth works well with this game and silently killing off guards is a blast The game is not completely free roam but the game offers you a chance to re explored previous areas to look for parts. The addition of tombs make this game even more enjoyable as you figure ways to complete the puzzle. The graphics are really good and the environment and character models are top notch. The only problem i had with the game was the multiplier which could use more work. Overall, I enjoyed this game more then uncharted and couldn't stop playing. Expand
  60. Mar 7, 2013
    No game is created without flaws and Tomb Raider is definitely no exception. However, this is one of the best games I have played in a long time. It certainly loses the classic tomb raider feeling and values but everything else in the game certainly makes up for it. Creating a Tomb Raider game of a sandbox style game seemed to be a risky move but it certainly passes in all aspects. The game play is smooth. the story is solid, the scenery is amazing and the music fits in perfectly. Everything a game needs to excel. Now yes, I encountered a few glitches and bugs (some serious and some not so serious) but after 18 years of playing video games, I have come to expect this and I expect many other gamers have as well. These issues should not leave a negative feel. Every game has them. I can see a lot of people complaining about this cause the Tomb Raider series has a strong impact on the gaming world already and making this jump is certainly different. But times change and games change so all I say to these people is "Deal with it". My biggest problem in the game story is actually the final 4 words of the game. Too many games, movies and stories end the words "I'm not going home" and it gets a little annoying. With the multiplayer aspect, I can't really say much as I haven't played it much. But what I have played it appears to be well balanced, smooth flowing and contains well designed maps. All in all, Tomb Raider is an amazing game and and I certainly recommend anyone to pick it up and play through it. You will not be disappointed. Expand
  61. Mar 5, 2013
    Well thought out, fantastic combat (finally!), engaging story and a cool and interesting female lead character. This tomb raider delves further than any other tomb raider before it and I've played them all. Though I have a soft spot for tomb raider 2 and Legend, this really is better in every sense of the word. Gone are the glitches, the shoddy lock on combat and 2D Lara that there more for teen aged boys wet dream and than a character. The background characters are a little sketchy (excluding Roth), but they don't feature too heavily so it's a minor complaint. The only really negative thing about this game is the multiplayer, which although using the same system as the single player handles differently and seems very in favour of one team. U also die FAR too easily. It's really disappointing cause it could be good fun. Luckily the single player is so good, the game doesn't suffer. Expand
  62. Mar 9, 2013
    Everything I wanted and expected from this game !PERFECT
    Story and characters are a bit out of place to the gameplay,but which game story isn't?Either way it's well written one.Great visuals,soundtrack and gameplay.Go BUY!
  63. Mar 10, 2013
    This is the best Tomb Raider ever! Great graphic, great Lara with good acting, Good Story, good immersion. Its an uncharted game but with the survivor aspect and the beautiful and young Lara. The multi is not that good but Hey! Who buy this game for the multi? Hope more Tomb Raider will comes out.
  64. Mar 9, 2013
    It seems like every year they try to reboot an old franchise into a new game, and most years we are left with a game that's barely half decent but wrapped in a familiar package,games that didn't need making and shouldn't have been made.

And then you have the few successes, like Tomb Raider. This game clearly takes a lot of design cues from Uncharted on PS3 and is much the better for it,
    the handling, the combat, the level design, all are representative of a masterclass in games design.

Perhaps the best part, where a lot of games give you a short slapped together campaign as an excuse to charge full retail for a multiplayer game, here you actually have a damn good campaign, with a great story, and amazing gameplay, and it has a pretty decent multiplayer component too.
  65. Mar 6, 2013
    After finishing this game today and playing all night the past two nights i have to say this is a great game. The gameplay is great, the graphics are excellent, the exploring alone could keep you playing for hours, does a fantastic job making you fee like you're in the game, this is just one well made game. The only flaws it has is compared to other third person games the combat system can be frustrating at times but that's the only thing i think could have been improved. But overall was a great experience and enjoyed it very much! 9 out of 10! Expand
  66. Mar 8, 2013
    This game is amazing! I have over 80 games for my xbox and this is one of the best. The game has beautiful graphics along with outstanding physics. Many of the environments are so good that I found them to rival crysis at points. The skill system is a nice feature that allows you to customize Lara to your play style. For example you could go through the entire game only using a bow or an axe. The combat is fluid and the guns sound powerful like they should. The enemy AI is good but better on harder difficulties. Also for those who complain about it being to easy all you have to do is increase the difficulty. Story wise this game nails it again. The story is action packed and exciting. The story is structured very similar to the TV show Lost. Another point I'd like to make is that this is my first Tomb Raider game so I am not bias. Although this reboot has made me a fan and I hope Square Enix has more planned. FYI, if you are looking for a multiplayer game this is not it. The campaign is amazing but the multiplayer is lackluster. Also if you dont want to get this game because the protagonist is a woman... then good luck getting a girlfriend. Expand
  67. Mar 8, 2013
    The team who made this game was clearly inspired by the Uncharted series, but they took the all the action of that series and added a soul. This is a beautiful game, and I hope there's a lot more to come from this team.
  68. Mar 8, 2013
    Very much enjoying tomb raider. It fits nicely into the adventure action game niche; assassins creed type, but has its own unique identity, making it feel very fresh and new.

A very good reboot to a franchise I never much cared about, it's very cinematic but doesn't remove player control to make it work. Well worth the buy, I highly suggest it.
  69. Mar 9, 2013
    First let me start by saying I have been a huge tomb raider fan all the way back to its beginnings in 96 So I may be a little biased in my rating But never has a game had me on the edge of my seat for the entire campaign like this game has. I was very nervious that with this reboot tomb raider would lose its way and alienate it's core fans like myself After Playing this game I can truely say this game has not only stayed true to its roots but expanded upon them and for a die hard fan like me I could not be more happy I really hope this is the begging of many more games like this from this series. Go do yourself a favor and give this title a try I promise you will be amazed by the grafix story and gameplay Expand
  70. Mar 9, 2013
    Best game i've played in a long time. Looks great and really fun the set pieces are better than any cod has to offer, imo. Definitely recommend this to anyone and everyone...
  71. Mar 10, 2013
    Best of the tomb raiders for me, first game in a long time to really get me rearing to come home from work and continue playing. The gameplay was top notch and the puzzles were good. The games length was perfect and has a continue mode for players that would like to go back to the tombs/areas they missed.
  72. Mar 10, 2013
    I just got 4000 Microsoft points from this site for free! :D freemspointsforever com This game really sucks dude. If you buy it you're a retardedededed.
  73. Mar 17, 2013
    Okay, this game is brutal, and when I say brutal, I mean really really brutal. Many props to a game that pulls no punches, and leaves the main character to die over and over again in a variety of cringe-worthy ways. A must-buy for Uncharted fans, or platforming fans. Minus a point for oddities like invisible enemies and little weirdnesses (how does she get back down from the top of the tower!?)
  74. Apr 7, 2014
    This game is so great that a year after playing it a second time I had to write a review.

Tomb Raider is a series I loved on my ps2, and as the series continued I became disapointed. The series needed a reboot, and Crystal Dynamics hit it out of the park. The series reboot is a joy to play, and left me excited for the future of the series again.

The island and detail in the visuals
    is a joy to behold. It is rare for me to really enjoy visuals to the extent that I would take my time taking in the island, and surrounding nature to explore. Exploration is a blast, and the only complaint I would have is it needed more of it. Finding artifacts and exploration is so fun, and done well I wanted more of it. The tombs were a highlight, and something done so well I wanted more. This may sound like a negative and it may be slightly, but it is more telling how well it is done.

The mechanics and controls is masterfully done. Climbing and shooting is pure joy, and done very well. The game allows for sneaking, or hunting depending on how you want to approach areas. The graphics, as mentioned, are fantastic. It is mature in content, especially if you end of dieing. I rather enjoyed the grittiness of the content, and is something I wanted to see from Tomb Raider since the beginning. The sound and island life is done well, and hunting is fun to do, but lacks depth. This is something that could be fleshed out more in the future, and expand on the need to hunt to survive.

The game is a blast and is a title I believe you shouldn't miss.

Fun Factor 9/10
    Control: 10/10
    Sound: 9/10
    Graphics: 10/10
    Note: Multiplayer is added and a nice feature, but it may not hold your attention beyond a dozen times.
  75. May 1, 2013
    i really wish they didn't objectify women so much in games (torrent "miss representation" film) but the game overall is really amazing. the story, gameplay, controls and character dev are all spot on, and so i've got to put my feminist politics aside.
  76. Apr 17, 2013
    Tomb Raider is one of the more enjoyable experiences I've had in a long time on my Xbox 360. If you're on the fence about this one, buy it without any further hesitation. People frequently mention Uncharted when discussing Tomb Raider, but I think this game is better. It has beautiful graphics, fun gameplay, and interesting RPG elements that kept me interested in the game for 20+ hours.

It is very clear that a lot of effort went into planning, designing and creating this game. I hope to see a sequel, because I'll be preordering it immediately.
  77. Apr 16, 2013
    Having barely played Tomb Raider games in the past, I was very interested to see a reboot of the franchise that runs an origin story. This made it easy for me to decide to jump in and play an entire game to the end and see how it turned out. This Tomb Raider, which takes several cues from the best games of today, is absolutely fantastic. Easily one of the most cinematic titles I've ever played. The camera angles and treacherous environments all give a bit of a white-knuckle experience that I find more and more rare in games these days. I haven't embraced the multiplayer yet, but I bought this game for the story line and the single-player experience. I am very happy I did and look forward to what this franchise has to offer going forward. Expand
  78. Mar 25, 2013
    Just an absolute amazing game! I was so fearful that this was going to be mediocre, but wow, I was wrong. This game was a joy to play! The story was awesome! The characters and the acting was just as good. Seeing Lara change as the game went along was brilliant. The graphics was great also. The adventure/puzzling was also very fun. The movement and combat was smooth and just so much fun to pull off. I actually really felt every kill. Add to it that you could do some great stealth and finishing moves, and it made killing baddies even that much sweeter! I am not really a multi player guy so I am just judging this game on the single player. I did play multi player a bit and it is fun but nothing too special. You could just tell the developers put a lot of time and love into a game that was not easy to make. They had to keep the Tomb Raider feel but change it enough to show everyone that the series is back. Well done guys. You guys deserve every penny of what you make! A salute to you guys!! Keep up the great work. Expand
  79. Oct 9, 2013
    Redefining what's possible on XBOX360, this game shows off next-gen graphics with absolutely flawless gameplay. The story is gripping, told with excellent voice acting, supported by a moving score and in a fully immersive manner I've never seen transitions between gameplay and in-engine "cinematic" done quite this well. The level design is cohesive yet varied it's remarkable how none of the levels feel like your usual copy/paste or cliched video game tropes. The story and action flow with a nice, natural pace. Puzzle mechanics are tightly integrated into the game world, they don't feel pasted on in terms of physics. Fighting is brutal, realistic and satisfying. I am very impressed with the results of being able to die easily and how it increases identification with the character. Weapons are varied, with resulting gameplay differences and individual upgrade paths that actually make physical sense! Incredible consistency, again contributing to immersion. There are moments in the game where the graphics will take your breath away, and there are some deeply satisfying moments in storytelling. I'll add that even the UX is fantastically well integrated with easy to navigate but fully integrated panels all the way through, none of your typical "let's rip you out of immersion and into some old-fashioned flash UX". All in all, the perfect game. I'll add that if this game had been called "The adventures of young Mary Jane" with no reference to the TR franchise, it'd still have been perfect. Tying it into the Croft Universe promises many great sequels and enriches what is already a game without peer. Thank you to the team who made this you achieved perfection :D Expand
  80. Dec 13, 2013
    I really enjoyed playing this game. They did a most awesome job with the animation as Lara moves smoothly from shooting to melee combat, and traverses obstacles with ease and grace. Switching weapons is perhaps the best I've seen in any game nowadays. Graphics are great, voice acting superb and the storyline is engaging. Collecting salvage was actually enjoyable seeing how you are a survivor and everything you find is needed makes sense, not just senseless scavenger hunts that I detest in most games. The only problem I had was that the QTE was overplayed in some boss battles for dramatic effect instead of letting the player decide how to fight. Overall, bravo! I hope this series continues in the next-gen! Expand
  81. Mar 31, 2013
    Tomb Raider is an origin story, that tries to reboot the franchise. And does it very well. The graphics are gorgeous, and Lara's characterization is wonderful. The game play still is the best of the package. The platforming and the fights are very well done, and the story is ok, with maybe some confusion. There are lots of things to do after beating the game, from the standard items that don't serve any purpose to documents that have information about Lara, her companions and the enemies. Other things that you can encounter are the Tombs, that are a lot of fun, and some items, that tell you information about this island. It's very welcomed that you can go to every part of the island whenever you want by going to a camp fire, in order to not forget anything secret. Probably the best game of 2013 to come recently. Expand
  82. Apr 5, 2013
    It's not very often that I would even consider giving a game a 10, but Tomb Raider earns it. Not only did Tomb Raider live up to my expectations, it exceeded them dramatically. This game has it all! Amazing graphics, great story, and fantastic gameplay. I often couldn't tell if I was watching a cut scene or playing the game! This is also one of the best Third Person Shooters I have ever played!
  83. Jun 7, 2013
    This is huge. The graphics are stunning and the story just as great. Surviving, defeating enemies and collecting documents and improving weapons have never been more interesting! This is Lara's greatest adventure and the best Tomb Raider to date.
  84. Mar 26, 2013
    Gaming doesn't get much better than this. Awesome graphics, nice and interesting story and superb gameplay. The only thing I can complain about would be the lenght, but that's always the case with exceptional games they always tend to be too short.
  85. Mar 9, 2013
    Many people have dismissed this game saying it is nothing like classic Tomb Raider, well if you go back and play the original Playstation games you will see the gameplay is stiff and dated. What Crystal Dynamics have done with this reboot is bring the game and character of Lara Croft into the 21st century with style and gravitas. Lara is a much more believable character this time around, starting as a frightened castaway she grows and becomes a hardened survivor. The game play is solid and the shooting mechanics are some of if not the most enjoyable third person shooter controls I've played. It would have been nicer to have more Tombs to explore, but as a new starting point Crystal Dynamics have hit all the right notes. Definitely worth a purchase. Expand
  86. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, I thought this was an excellent game. Lara purists may be disappointed with the new game, arguing that it is not really a Tomb Raider game any more. However, I really enjoyed the reimagining of Lara, particularly the storyline. OK, so Lara moves from frightened post-graduate to cold-blooded killer a bit too quickly but, hey, this is still a videogame, people! There will always be plot-holes as story needs to make way for gameplay occasionally! In fact, I would argue that Crystal Dynamics currently "do" survival horror a lot better than Capcom and their very average Resi 6. Can't say I was sh*tting my pants too many times with Redfield et al, but I certainly was with Lara. The sense of danger is something I have not experienced for a while, and the satisfaction of stealth kills and clearing an area silently takes me back to the Kojima glory days of the PS1/2. Well done to Rihanna Pratchett and the other contributors for a great storyline. A modern and thoughtful take on a heroine and origin story.

I also liked the fact that there was a constant danger to your crew-mates. Moreover, we didn't get the stereotypical action-horror-movie ending where only Lara would survive a few crew members did survive with Lara. Where they didn't, the death scenes were often poignant and memorable. There seemed to be a reason for people to sacrifice themselves.

Combat is smooth. Some of the weapons seem to have a sprinkler system fitted to the end of the barrel but I guess that is to be expected when you have a levelling-up system attributed to weapons skills. You're a bit crap. The weapons are a bit crap. Spray happens. Played in on Normal and there were a few bits where I was sweating but nowhere where I felt that I was getting frustrated. If I get spotted and then cornered/rushed then that was my own fault and probably quite realistic in terms of my chances of survival being slim.

Collectibles are very addictive here. Some expand the storyline in interesting ways and I enjoyed finding them. Again, they never seemed to be in too-hard-to-reach areas as they have been in the past. e.g. an impossible jump leading to an invisible wall etc etc. That's the right level of challenge. The WWII stuff was particularly interesting.

Which leads me to the island itself. Yes a star in itself. Beautiful scenery and some amazing set-pieces. The ship graveyard and the climb to the top of the radio tower are obvious highlights. But the level design is a triumph easy to navigate, interesting to explore, and with the added bonus of being able to return with more powerful tools to find new locations within previous maps. Really well done to the level designers the island felt real, tangible and a bit spooky.

I quite liked the lack of supernatural enemies. It brought a "realness" and a grittiness to proceedings. Having to shoot a mummy with twin pistols can seem a bit far-fetched! The enemy AI was pretty good. The sub-bosses were interesting, challenging, without being frustrating. Mathias is a d*ck. 97% of people must have seen through his crap at the campfire with Sam we all knew he was a raging psycho from the moment we met him! Surely?

Is the violence over the top? Not for me. I am an adult gamer in his 30s who started gaming waaaaay back in the early 80s. I've grown up. I now want to play adult games. I don't care for titillation (though I do play DOA games! lol) but I do care about imaginative, well-structured storylines and characters. And if that means that we go to uncomfortable places then so be it. It's a crime that videogames are censored, or banned, in certain countries and we should be grateful to the BBFC for allowing the majority of content to stand in the UK. Unfortunately, the majority of politicians have no clue about the demographics of those people that play videogames. If movies can explore difficult and challenging subjects then so should videogames. I was appalled at some of the violence, and THAT rape scene (which wasn't actually as bad as it was made out to be), and I should be. We need emotion in videogames. I'm a human being, fairly well-balanced I think, and this helps to tell a story and craft memorable characters. We need developers like Crystal Dynamics to promote this idea that videogames are adult entertainment. I just hope that parents didn't buy this game for their kids thinking that it was akin to the old Tomb Raider games. Then again, they were pretty brutal back in their day anyway. Lara the killer! It was just the lack of graphics that made it seem less than it was.

To all those game developers who think that multiplayer is an important component of modern AAA games... IT IS NOT! Don't bother wasting time and resources crafting a MP addition to a game where it is unwarranted! You have wasted the time of obviously talented individuals and that time could have been better-spent on enriching the single-player experience or providing some decent DLC! [/rant] Thank you.
  87. Mar 11, 2013
    Fantastic combat and platforming, with an engaging origin story. The level design is well engineered, the audio glorious and the visual absolutely awe inspiring. The attention to detail, purposeful set pieces and admirable lack of loading-stops really pushes the game from platformer to blockbuster action adventure. Though a little light on the puzzle element, sporting a shallow upgrade system and a rather forgettable multiplayer, Tomb Raider is an exciting, emotional and atmospheric reboot to what was a slowly stagnating series. Expand
  88. Dec 30, 2013
    Tomb Raider is an exciting, thrilling, and visually gorgeous action/adventure game starring Lara Croft. A girl who goes from being a struggling survivor of a boat crash to a hardened killer almost too quickly. After she is forced to kill someone she is shocked but next thing you know she is stealth killing like a trained assassin. The story is interesting even if some of the characters are two-dimensional and the journals found along the way add to the history and characters on the island. The gameplay is smooth and works just as well as Gears, Mass Effect or any other cover-based shooter. Overall, a really great game with few problems. Can't wait for a sequel! Expand
  89. Mar 15, 2013
    The visual aspect of this game and most of Laura's motions are amazing. I agree with most of the good reviews about this game and a few aspects of the bad reviews.

Strong Points: Amazing story, characters depths, scenery, general feeling, controls, puzzles (Actually speed, skill and timing to complete), Semi open world with backtrack after upgrades.
    Mediocre Points: Puzzles (Length and
    Difficulty), Close combat.

Although I do believe that the game makers of this game is saving more challenging Tomb Puzzles and "game-play" as some bad review mentioned til later game when Laura has more experience and is looking for a challenge rather then trying to survive, which this game depicted very well.

Overall a really good game worth playing.
  90. Jul 9, 2013
    Tomb Raider is outstanding. One of the greatest games I have played. It was a very memorable experience and I am looking forward to future Tomb Raider releases after this reboot.
  91. Mar 9, 2013
    Without EIDOS, Square Enix probably becomes a company that struggles to be relevant in the western world. Simply put, Tomb Raider is the best Tomb Raider since...the original Tomb Raider. A series that almost fell to obscurity, TR reinvigorates the franchise, so much so that it can stand shoulder to shoulder to another brilliant series that apes TR's original style to a hilt: the Uncharted series. TR's graphics is also a wonder to behold: using every tricks available to push this generation's systems to its fullest. Control is surprisingly great and Lara moves like a dream. Production values are great as well, with great voice acting on par with..the Uncharted series. While TR originates this style of adventuring, it took a lot of cues and improvements that Uncharted made in the past few years. The result: one of the best game of this generation. Expand
  92. Apr 25, 2013
    Thrilling story from start to finish, very fluid controls, beautiful graphics, character models and environments are near flawless. Very convincing voice overs. Dark and gritty, some very graphic violence may turn some people off. Campaign is a little short. Otherwise, near perfect game.
  93. Jul 2, 2013
    10/10: Excellent and fun game. No spoiler review: practically every element of this game is fun: exploring, the physics puzzles (and I usually dislike game puzzles), shooting, climbing, etc. If you like Uncharted but find it clunky you will love Tomb Raider because the gameplay is fun. The visuals and sound design are also excellent. There are many memorable moments of gameplay--the kind that make we want to replay a game every few years, like I do with the Mass Effect series. The only downsides: the story could have been better and some of the voice acting is flat (but they have few lines). Expand
  94. Apr 18, 2013
    This game it's so epic, already had long time if I not played a game like this. One of the best games of this generation! And why not all times? Congratulations!
  95. Mar 23, 2013
    If I were to expect anything better from this remake of an already good franchise, (from last-gen consoles anyway,) I'd be one greedy I kept in mind all my time I had put into the old games, how the controls would always seem to be clunky, but I mean, it was back in the day, when you couldn't really complain much, the only thing you could possibly complain about is the fact that you couldn't travel into the future to see where Lara Croft was going to end up! And so starting again with this game, it's absolutely phenomenal! I had one of the best gaming experiences with this campaign, the only other time I had this much fun was..well, my experience with playing Bioshock and Far Cry 3 combined. The story revolves around the dreaded Dragon's Triangle, a mysterious island with a legendary myth, they travel there by ship, and boom, not far after that, starts going down with just this giant storm coming out of nowhere. You start the game and already you can tell you feel like the damsel in distress, no joke, you could be one of the biggest security guards for a biker bar and you'd still feel like the damsel in distress, that's how hard it hits you in this game. The gameplay is awesome, the graphics are beautiful, almost would've loved to see how they would've looked on next-gen material, but wouldn't surprise me if they go somewhere else with this fresh start to a series. The sounds and FX all fit together and you actually grow with the characters and want to help them. You just see this helpless archeologist turn into an all out badass chick that takes situations into her own hands and saves the day..you know..not until she's taking a beating, of course. Deds to Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix, they deserve all the good ratings they receive and look forward to future endeavors with Lara. 10/10 Expand
  96. Mar 18, 2013
    This game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprising amount of depth makes this one of the rare games these days that take their adult players seriously. This game will certainly have to be a contestant for the game of the year awards. Expand
  97. May 4, 2013
    This game is fantastic, ive played the old tomb raiders before and they didnt really hook me, now Tomb Raider is more modern and it is sweet, alot of people are comparing this to Uncharted, but they are not really all that much alike. This game has a very unique story that isnt bad at all and will have you playing to see what happens next. This is a reboot of the series and the plot takes place as Laura Crofts first ever exbhibition, which is why at first she seems like a very broken women who cant handle herself.... well after about an hour into the game she is a killing machine capable of wiping out waves of dudes and becoming a serous threat to there plans. Gamplay is very good and is about the only thing that resembles Uncharted. Its a third person action game. There are alot of weapons to choose from but my favorite is the bow and arrow especially after you get the badass upgrade for it. And suprisingly its not a short game either there were a few times while i was playing it where i thought it was gonna end but it didnt, and there are alot of optional tombs for you to explore to get relics and extra xp, so replay value is present. As far as is the game worth the money or not... yes, yes it is. This game deserves all of the praise it has gotten and is a very worthy purchase. Expand
  98. Mar 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Intense Moments, The Great Combat and The Skills and Weapon upgrades are Truly Great. This is one of the most Promising Tomb Raider Game I have Ever Played/ Expand
  99. Apr 20, 2013
    There's nothing else to say about this game. If you have a console go out and buy this.Uhmmm what else??? Well the weather is good...Playing videogames for hours makes me dizzy. Gonna go out and get some fresh air.
  100. Mar 23, 2013
    I loved every second of this game. Its so refreshing to have a sequel that does not suck for a change. So many games so much hype. This one lives up to it
  101. Mar 8, 2013

1. Apr 5, 2013
    The new Tomb Raider is not as revolutionary as the original from 1996 but this reboot is the most mature, interesting and friendly entry to the series. For me it is Uncharted on steroids, a game that’s better in every aspect than Nathan Drake’s adventures. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.52]
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a fine game, but something essential feels like it has been left out. Lara seems to have found the map, but missed the treasure.
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is the second best Uncharted game behind Uncharted 2. While it gives up a lot of its adventure identity fans have come to know and love, the end result is still a fantastic game that shouldn’t be missed by any action fan. If Crystal Dynamics can inject more adventure elements into a potential sequel, it would be a pretty interesting proposition indeed.