8.5

1. Apr 4, 2013
    Brilliant. This reboot takes inspiration from games such as Uncharted, Far Cry 3, and even God of War, in order to create a truly unique and memorable experience. The relationship between the player and Lara is handled exquisitely. You have direct contribution in every action she makes, and the subtleties in the animations make her seem human. This is further shown as she hesitates to doBrilliant. This reboot takes inspiration from games such as Uncharted, Far Cry 3, and even God of War, in order to create a truly unique and memorable experience. The relationship between the player and Lara is handled exquisitely. You have direct contribution in every action she makes, and the subtleties in the animations make her seem human. This is further shown as she hesitates to do things like walk across a log that bridges a gap, when Ezio or Nathan Drake would do it without a thought. She really is just a normal person. When she gets hurt, it's cringe-worthy to be a part of, because you feel a connection to this character. Weapon upgrades and levelling up at a slow, drip-fed pace help you see the gradual process of Lara's transformation into a survivor. Unfortunately, the second half of the game has parts that feel like just another mediocre third-person shooter, but they're few and far between. The environments are incredibly well done. Subtleties like scrawled writing on a wall or a hammock that's been crudely set up really makes the world seem lived-in, almost as if it was here before the game actually began. The combat is unique, to say the least. Lara is forced to fight dirty in order to survive. She doesn't do a fancy combat roll to dodge enemies, she desperately scrambles out of the way, throwing dirt into their eyes and striking them with her climbing axe. There is deliberately no style or flair which fits with Lara's character. The story begins pretty straightforward: Boat crashes on seemingly-deserted island. Survivors try to regroup and try to find a way to escape. But then it complicates and makes for an intriguing second half. The story doesn't win any awards for being innovative, but it sure is interesting enough to keep the player's attention. In terms of linearity, the campaign walks a fine line between a linear direction and free roam, allowing the player to revisit previous locations on the island via fast-travelling between camps. This isn't a simple replay of the mission, you can go back and get some of the many collectables and complete some of the abundant challenges that crop up through exploration. Expand
  2. Mar 8, 2013
    With this game, the "Tomb Raider" franchise turned casual completely and if it wasn't for the protagonist's name, i would say this isn't Tomb Raider, at all. Looks more like "Dumb Raider" considering how frustratingly easy and linear this game is. The extreme linearity gives me the feeling that i'm controlling a laboratory rat through hallways inside of a closed chamber. The puzzles areWith this game, the "Tomb Raider" franchise turned casual completely and if it wasn't for the protagonist's name, i would say this isn't Tomb Raider, at all. Looks more like "Dumb Raider" considering how frustratingly easy and linear this game is. The extreme linearity gives me the feeling that i'm controlling a laboratory rat through hallways inside of a closed chamber. The puzzles are lame, the combat is generic, the exploration almost doesn't exists and the plot, the motherf##ing plot, is easily the weakest of the whole series. If you like games that treats you like a retard, maybe you should get this one. Thanks a lot, Eidos. You f#cked up with Hitman and did the same thing to Tomb Raider... Expand
  3. Jun 8, 2013
    I bought this game (along with DIshonored, Far Cry 3, Halo 4, Bioshock Infinite, Call do Duty Black Ops 2, Call of Juarez Ginslinger, Tom Clancy Future soldier, and Medal of Honor Warfighter, along with a few others). I like Tomb Raider (so far) for what it is versus anything others think it should be. Tomb Raider is like Far Cry 3 but a little more puzzle-based (especially figuring outI bought this game (along with DIshonored, Far Cry 3, Halo 4, Bioshock Infinite, Call do Duty Black Ops 2, Call of Juarez Ginslinger, Tom Clancy Future soldier, and Medal of Honor Warfighter, along with a few others). I like Tomb Raider (so far) for what it is versus anything others think it should be. Tomb Raider is like Far Cry 3 but a little more puzzle-based (especially figuring out the right combo of buttons, stick movement), easier to kill foes, and a more linear based story. I dislike Halo 4 other than the breathtaking graphics. I play Black Ops 2, future soldier and gunslinger when I'm in a shooter mood with a little variety. But those times when I want a game similar to those games, but with more puzzle solving and less shooting and something more "simple", linear, Tomb Raider definitely solves the craving. It's a game that can leave you stuck on a section until you can get down the correct timing of pushing buttons on the remote versus stuck because of any strategic difficulty or killing of foe. i like this. All the games I've mentioned are worthy games I will never regret buying. Tomb Raider though is the one Game i play when it fits the right craving. I like the simple upgrading, the camp ground as the "shop" to do everything, the fire/torch to add a new twist, the ability to skip long sequences (although skipping them can leave a bit of initial confusion on what to do). There were a few frustrating times when the game didn't respond to the joystick movement which meant replaying a short (thankfully not long) kill sequence but this is really minor for a well done game which has kept me busy for several days already. I initially thought it might be a great game for my 10 year old niece but the deer hunting/gutting were a small, small amount of upsetting for a 10 year old (she likes fable 3). This game is fun and it's a game I enjoy playing for a few hours before switching to another. The graphics were slightly less sharp than I wish (I really like Far Cry 3). Since both games have a very, very high radio tower to climb, you can see the difference when climbing to the top (Far Cry 3 will leave you breathless). For the $30 I payed for Tomb Raider on demand, it was definitely worth the money for the entertainment so far even if the story does drag on a bit and there are some lengthy cut-scenes. Still, it's like watching a descent adventure movie where I get to make a difference and solve some puzzles along the way that are not so horribly difficult that I can't come back to the game and eventually figure them out (unlike Metro 2033 and some other games where I get frustrated enough to put the game on the shelf until I have time to google how to solve the part I'm stuck on). Tomb Raider did a really nice job of taking an old, worn character and give her new life with a now 3rd person enjoyable game that makes you feel things that you should feel when playing this kind of game (i really dislike the older tomb raider style games). Like Far Cry 3, they did a lot of things right with this game which far out-weigh any minor flaws. I just wish they had done a little better with some of the graphics. They are like "almost" great but slightly shy of being mouth dropping awesome. Some scenes are worth seeing in the game while others seem to be average typical in a game. Expand
  4. Mar 9, 2013
    TOMB RAIDER! Who knew? This is one game that I didn't think would impress me and it did! There are a few issues with the game but for the most part it is a wonderful piece of work. Thanks guys at square enix and all. The only part of it I don't like is the button mashing sequences that don't really work well for PC format because of the layout of the keyboard. It's just too difficult toTOMB RAIDER! Who knew? This is one game that I didn't think would impress me and it did! There are a few issues with the game but for the most part it is a wonderful piece of work. Thanks guys at square enix and all. The only part of it I don't like is the button mashing sequences that don't really work well for PC format because of the layout of the keyboard. It's just too difficult to execute command button mashing in sequence that quickly without missing a keystroke or making a mistake. Which in turn makes the final battle almost impossible because there are WAY too many enemies coming at you from multiple directions and the button mashing sequences must be done "in sequence" upon command. OK, fine! It's just not that EASY! I don't know if I will be able to finish the game due to the difficulty in mashing the buttons in sequence. Of course, in time that may change.
    Other than that and the fact that the game is somewhat short, approximately 30 40 hours of gameplay, the game was well thought out and put together. The video is grand! The details are better! The story a bit far fetched but it's a video game that plays as almost real life. AWESOME! I won't get into technical details but like I said there are a few minor issues with the game but I still managed to give it a 9. I gave XCOM a 6 and SKYRIM a 7.5. I have heard some recent news that iNVIDIA display adapters are suffering from performance issues, they can't get it up! Well, I'm happy to say that I have an AMD Radeon HD 6870 video adapter and it performed flawlessly! Don't see any trailing or flashing, it's great! I had a lot of fun playing this game for the first time!
    Anyway, you gamers out there in Tomb Raider land, the one's with the robot fingers, let me know how you fare with the button mashing. I am usually very hypercritical with games but I really think this is a good one! At least I don't feel like I've wasted $54.00 on a game. Is it worth the money for maybe 40 hours of gaming? This is one of the few where I'd say YES! Check it out!!!!!
  5. Apr 14, 2013
    Great action and story and presentation. The only prob I had with the game is the frustrating QTE bits. This sort of game play went out of fashion ten years ago. Fortunately, the rest of the game over powers this odd anachronism.
  6. Mar 14, 2013
    This game was a welcome return (reboot) of the franchise. Graphics are beautiful, control is superb, and the story is perhaps one of the best in the series so far. BUT, I do have my gripes too: 1) It's far too easy, even on the hardest difficulty. 2) Far to short. the solo campaign is really to short and the playable areas really aren't that big if you can look past the splendor of theThis game was a welcome return (reboot) of the franchise. Graphics are beautiful, control is superb, and the story is perhaps one of the best in the series so far. BUT, I do have my gripes too: 1) It's far too easy, even on the hardest difficulty. 2) Far to short. the solo campaign is really to short and the playable areas really aren't that big if you can look past the splendor of the awesome details. Overall: Had this game been a bit bigger, longer and harder it could have been perfect. The visuals are some of the best I have ever seen on the 360 and I know the PC version is even better. New Lara is totally believable and I look forward to her next game. Expand
  7. Mar 31, 2013
    Reboots are generally a scary thing. We wonder whether our memories of the first games will be wiped out by a less than par successor. I was wrong. This game goes above and beyond the first games, to the point where this and Bioshock are my games of the year so far. Lara has been captured perfectly, the scenery in and visuals in the game are stunning. Whilst we do get QTEs, this does notReboots are generally a scary thing. We wonder whether our memories of the first games will be wiped out by a less than par successor. I was wrong. This game goes above and beyond the first games, to the point where this and Bioshock are my games of the year so far. Lara has been captured perfectly, the scenery in and visuals in the game are stunning. Whilst we do get QTEs, this does not effect the flow of the game. I really hope to see a sequel as this was one hell of a memorable ride. Square Enix, you've done me proud Expand
  8. Mar 7, 2013
    LARA IS THE QUEEN
    THE KING INDIANA JONES

SORRY DRAKE FANBOYS
  9. Mar 10, 2013
    This is the best Tomb Raider ever! Great graphic, great Lara with good acting, Good Story, good immersion. Its an uncharted game but with the survivor aspect and the beautiful and young Lara. The multi is not that good but Hey! Who buy this game for the multi? Hope more Tomb Raider will comes out.
  10. Mar 6, 2013
    I've been a BIG fan of the series since 1996, and let me just get this out of the way, I am a Core Design fanboy. Crystal Dynamics have finally nailed it. OK so they'll never meet the high standard set by Core, noone ever will, but this is a step in the right direction. Good for you guys, I'm very impressed. Get this game.
  11. Apr 29, 2013
    Great improvements make this game superior than its predecessors. Though not on par with the last 2 Uncharted games, it has greater depth in its gameplay and personally i like better the grim style.

It's in the path of the Uncharted series as a cinematic experience and has kept some gameplay elements from previous TRs. It's spectacular and a thing of beauty to watch (some of the best graphics on the X360), technically proficient and has some great physics. The combat is hate/love, but it suits the neurotic situation and the character of the unexperienced Lara (though she kills a lot of bad guys...)

If it had some more climbing to do, some more of the great physics puzzles (a lot more actually) and a more sturdy combat, it could have been perfect.
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    This is the best Tomb Raider yet, and is one of the best games of its generation. It has a a great storyline, narrative, charismatic characters, wonderful graphics and, best of all, it has Lara Croft, the female icon of video games. This time, Lara is more human and she looks very real, and is a breath of fresh air in a world that is predominantly full of male characters. All in all, IThis is the best Tomb Raider yet, and is one of the best games of its generation. It has a a great storyline, narrative, charismatic characters, wonderful graphics and, best of all, it has Lara Croft, the female icon of video games. This time, Lara is more human and she looks very real, and is a breath of fresh air in a world that is predominantly full of male characters. All in all, I want to say: bravo Crystal Dynamics and bravo for the new Tomb Raider! Definitely Lara IS back. Expand
  13. Mar 9, 2013
    It seems like every year they try to reboot an old franchise into a new game, and most years we are left with a game that's barely half decent but wrapped in a familiar package,games that didn't need making and shouldn't have been made.

And then you have the few successes, like Tomb Raider. This game clearly takes a lot of design cues from Uncharted on PS3 and is much the better for it, the handling, the combat, the level design, all are representative of a masterclass in games design.

Perhaps the best part, where a lot of games give you a short slapped together campaign as an excuse to charge full retail for a multiplayer game, here you actually have a damn good campaign, with a great story, and amazing gameplay, and it has a pretty decent multiplayer component too.
  14. Mar 10, 2013
    A very enjoyable game to play mechanically; level design and controls interact in expert harmony. Ultra-violent gameplay/combat and a dark, insidious setting are juxtaposed against a story written to be palatable for a 6-year old. The new Tomb Raider.
  15. Jun 14, 2013
    Very nice reboot over the Tomb raider franchise.

It's like a mix between uncharted and batman franchises, picking the best of their latest games.
    The story is entertaining, the exploration and secrets are interesting enough to look for them and technically it's top notch.

Quite recommendable!
  16. Mar 6, 2013
    There has been a lot of doubt to me in the gaming industry lately for me. Time after time again I have been renting and buying new games only to get let down from my favorite franchises. Well folks my faith has been restored in my gaming with this gem of a title. I really cannot express the amount of amazing work Crystal Dynamics has pulled out here. From the graphics which in some scenesThere has been a lot of doubt to me in the gaming industry lately for me. Time after time again I have been renting and buying new games only to get let down from my favorite franchises. Well folks my faith has been restored in my gaming with this gem of a title. I really cannot express the amount of amazing work Crystal Dynamics has pulled out here. From the graphics which in some scenes look next gen and i am not even joking to the smooth as butter controls everything is polished to perfection. Easy menu navigation and awesome upgrades only add to the game. Some of the AI gets confused for a bit but otherwise pretty challenging because they keep you on your toes. All I can say is go buy, rent or whatever you do to get games and play this now. This is a breath of fresh air and easily one of the best third person action games I have played in years. This score is purely based on the single player as i have yet to try the multiplayer because of how amazing the single player is. TOMB RAIDER IS BACK. Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2013
    After finishing this game today and playing all night the past two nights i have to say this is a great game. The gameplay is great, the graphics are excellent, the exploring alone could keep you playing for hours, does a fantastic job making you fee like you're in the game, this is just one well made game. The only flaws it has is compared to other third person games the combat system canAfter finishing this game today and playing all night the past two nights i have to say this is a great game. The gameplay is great, the graphics are excellent, the exploring alone could keep you playing for hours, does a fantastic job making you fee like you're in the game, this is just one well made game. The only flaws it has is compared to other third person games the combat system can be frustrating at times but that's the only thing i think could have been improved. But overall was a great experience and enjoyed it very much! 9 out of 10! Expand
  18. Mar 21, 2013
    I don't like playing a game as a woman. I find no empathy at all with the character. In fact I start thinking about things like tampons, boobs and having to squat to take a whiz. Chauvinistic, probably... but I am not a girl and being forced to play as a girl is kinda annoying. As I imagine it is for a girl having to play as a boy. I thought I would be able to look past the gender ofI don't like playing a game as a woman. I find no empathy at all with the character. In fact I start thinking about things like tampons, boobs and having to squat to take a whiz. Chauvinistic, probably... but I am not a girl and being forced to play as a girl is kinda annoying. As I imagine it is for a girl having to play as a boy. I thought I would be able to look past the gender of the character but I can't. I bought the game because of the inclusion of a bow and arrow, I like games with those sort of mechanics. While the game itself isn't bad I just can't reconcile in my mind some of the things that happen. Like Lara upset at one moment about killing a deer, next minute pops off bad guys ten to the dozen with no signs of remorse. A female hero doesn't float my boat, never has and probably never will. The only thing that would peak my interest, so to speak, on this game would be if I could play as Lara but naked. I have never liked the Tomb Raider franchise, so buying this was probably a mistake from the start,. Just heard wonderful things about it so thought I would check it out. But the game to me is soured in the first half hour, so many quick time events that it was boring. I wanted to play the game and it was stopping me from playing. Didn't like that at all, though it gets better game it's sort of already spoiled in a way. I had already lost interest. Expand
  19. Apr 25, 2013
    Best game i have played this year, and is in my top 5 all time games. I am a fan of the uncharted series and I really appreciate the direction tomb raider has gone with this by implementing the more realistic movement & weapon system. Single player is perfect with a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat as well as constant unique gameplay events thats mixes it up great. TheBest game i have played this year, and is in my top 5 all time games. I am a fan of the uncharted series and I really appreciate the direction tomb raider has gone with this by implementing the more realistic movement & weapon system. Single player is perfect with a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat as well as constant unique gameplay events thats mixes it up great. The multiplayer however is laggy and this really affects the gameplay hopefully they will fix this with a patch but as a result they fall short of 10/10 Expand
  20. Mar 5, 2013
    It is a very good game with likable characters in game like sam or new tomb. I have console version and pc if you have nvidia card mine is 550 ti) you can get high settings and good frame rate when turning of tessellation,high precise, normal for ssao and depth of field. Overal you should buy Tomb raider on both platform
  21. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is amazing! I have never played a tomb raider game in my many years of gaming, and what a great time it was to start! Being new to the series doesn't matter at all. You fall in love with the characters in story mode. There are endless things to do such as find certain collectibles. This game is very open and similar to far cry 3 but with better graphics, lovable characters, aThis game is amazing! I have never played a tomb raider game in my many years of gaming, and what a great time it was to start! Being new to the series doesn't matter at all. You fall in love with the characters in story mode. There are endless things to do such as find certain collectibles. This game is very open and similar to far cry 3 but with better graphics, lovable characters, a great story, and amazing 3rd person. My only complaint is that there is no online horde/ survival mode to do with friends (even co-op would be great). The multiplayer is still entertaining and nothing is more rewarding than setting a trap and catching an enemy to execute him! It's awesome. Expand
  22. Jun 9, 2013
    I remember playing the old Tomb Raider games on the first Playstation, they were great, adventurous, etc etc. You know what I'm talking about...I heard great things about this one and was excited to see what it had to offer.

The game starts out with a wreck, and you have to pretty much escape it and find your crew. To do so, you have to do a whole lot of slow crawling through cracks, slow climbing, slow swimming under stuff and through water...out of caves, etc. My little brother was watching me play that part and asked me how it was. I told him the truth, I said "it's boring right now, very boring...but this is just the opening sequences, so I'm sure it'll pick up after I find my crew".

I was wrong...

Turns out the entire game is finding your crew and being stuck on this island. Meaning the environment never changes, the tasks never change, and well...there are a whole lot of very long cut scenes that do most of the work.

As for action, I could probably count the number of bullets I used on one hand. I spent a lot of time trying to upgrade my weapons, for the best gameplay experience. And turns out it was a waste of time. The upgrades are there just to distract you from the fact that you're not doing much of anything in the game. Finding paths to certain places and whatnot isn't tough, and there are a few "puzzle" type moments that are not difficult at all (by 'not difficult' i mean compared to a game that exists in the same world as the very challenging puzzle game "portal").
    All that is really left to do is explore the world and find stuff, right? Well, no, not really...you run out of special abilities to upgrade to, and one is an ability that reveals every cave entrance/diamond/pretty much everything on your map for you. And when you're running around it makes stuff glow on your screen so you can find it, too...taking away the need to explore. So what's left to make the game enjoyable? Nothing...

Overall this was the single most boring game I've ever played. The cut scenes were intriguing though, I'll give it that...even if they were very very long. And it's nice to see Laura become the Tomb Raider we all know and love. But, if they really wanted to make a cut scene oriented origin story, then I think they should've just made an animated series instead and then released a 'real' game for us to play.
  23. Mar 6, 2013
    One word can describe this game. EPIC. As we all know, fans and haters it's probably the game, which is always more "evolved" than the other games. Also the graphics are AMAZING. I thought i was watching the 3rd Tomb Raider movie!
  24. Mar 5, 2013
    Amazing Gamer, its like a mix between uncharted 2, far cry 3 and the bonfires of Dark Souls. If you like action adventure, and care a little about Lara, this may be the best game for you. Its so beautifull and has a robust campaign of almost 15 hours, plus a lot of puzzle side exploration quest. The only thing that i really dont like much was the multiplayer. But this game is on a par withAmazing Gamer, its like a mix between uncharted 2, far cry 3 and the bonfires of Dark Souls. If you like action adventure, and care a little about Lara, this may be the best game for you. Its so beautifull and has a robust campaign of almost 15 hours, plus a lot of puzzle side exploration quest. The only thing that i really dont like much was the multiplayer. But this game is on a par with uncharted 2, and is way better than uncharted 3. Expand
  25. Mar 5, 2013
    Cada vez que jugaba a los juegos anteriores nunca los terminaba por que llegaba a aburrirme pero desde que lo vengo siguiendo mas o menos del 2011 creo o 2012, muy bien no me acuerdo, veía los trailers y como que me llamaba la atención y me daban ganas de probarlo, por suerte el martes me lo compre y hoy hace minutos lo termine.
    La verdad que yo no soy de sorprenderme tanto con algunos
    La verdad que yo no soy de sorprenderme tanto con algunos juegos solo pocos me han logrado sorprender y entre esos pocos voy a meter a este nuevo tomb raider. Nunca espere que me gustara tanto y me dieran ganas de terminarlo bueno ahora hablare sobre el juego.
    La historia se basa en que un grupo de.... no me sale la palabra bueno no importa ellos quieren descubrir sobre una reina del sol llamada "himiko" y tienen que dirigirse a una isla que no sale en el mapa.Bueno siendo sincero no se esmeraron en una gran historia pero es lo suficiente como para entretener. Esta lara croft es genial ,fragil al principio hasta que se convierte en una superviviente que no teme a nada, uno de los personajes femeninos de videojuegos que mas me gusta encima la pobre se hace mierda siempre xD Hablando gráficamente se ve excelente a pesar que la versión de 360 es inferior a la de ps3 y pc se ve muy bien los detalles del los lugares son geniales.
    La jugabilidad del juego es muy buena en ningún momento me queje ni putee la verdad que me sentí muy cómodo.
    La historia como dije no es la gran cosa ,mezclan la realidad con lo mistico(no se si en los otros juegos mezclan lo mitico) pero es entretenida lastima que el modo historia es corto y,para mi, el final no me gusto mucho y es predecible
    Algo que si pudieron haber hecho mejor ,es la inteligencia artificial de los enemigos porque puede resultar algo "fácil" debes en cuando te la saben complicar pero en la mayoría del juego es fácil.Una ambientación excelente la verdad que es muy buena, un mundo abierto y que siempre tengas que revisar todo el lugar por que seguro que hay para registrar alguna tumba ,lugares secretos ,recoger cofres o libros etc. Todo el mapa se conecta en si podes pasar por el mismo lugar como mas de 4 veces(aunque sigas el modo historia volves a pasar si o si) eso hace que ademas de hacer la historia te podrás entretener un rato. Los puzzles son divertidos pero algo simples los puzzles de los juegos anteriores son mas difíciles(eso fue lo que me llevo a no terminarlos xD, era chico y no me gustaba trabarme en un juego).
    Este juego de los otros que eh jugado, que por decirlo asi es el mas "oscuro" ,porque las muertes de los enemigos o de lara misma son algo fuertes hay mas sangre que en los otros
    Podes cazar,andar libremente por la isla buscando secretos y objetos para completar el juego al 100% ,aumentar de rango, mejorar las armas,no puedo hablar del modo multiplayer por que no lo puedo jugar. Aplaudo a Crystal dinamics por este excelente juego, aunque me hubiera gustado que lo hubieran hecho mas largo.
  26. Mar 5, 2013
    The game play is awesome.Like really awesome. Lara's characterization is amazing. Upgrade system is epic. Exploration is wonderful and challenging. And finally the story... its pretty good most of the time.
    I can assure u this will be one of the best of games of 2013!!!!
  27. Mar 5, 2013
    This is by far the best Tomb Raider i have ever played. The graphics are amazing, the puzzles are like side missions and feels very rewarding to discover the way to its end. The loot system is very well implemented with chances for you to upgrade weapons either from salvage or from finding new mods and new parts. You also have a talent system where you can improve your hunting or survivingThis is by far the best Tomb Raider i have ever played. The graphics are amazing, the puzzles are like side missions and feels very rewarding to discover the way to its end. The loot system is very well implemented with chances for you to upgrade weapons either from salvage or from finding new mods and new parts. You also have a talent system where you can improve your hunting or surviving or fighting skills. The island where you are being thrown has lots of stuff going on, it is enclouded with mistery and you can feel dark forces around. This is definately a must buy game for your Tomb Raider collection. Expand
  28. Mar 5, 2013
    I register to make a review of this epic game. save the best for last.. it is a great game for this dying days of console. the environment looks great character design is nice game play is awsome!!!. it feels like im playing on a next generation console.. its a bit short but the money you spend is worth it. the puzzle part of this game is a bit few. the story is so captivating and i cantI register to make a review of this epic game. save the best for last.. it is a great game for this dying days of console. the environment looks great character design is nice game play is awsome!!!. it feels like im playing on a next generation console.. its a bit short but the money you spend is worth it. the puzzle part of this game is a bit few. the story is so captivating and i cant even put down my controller. square enix and crystal dynamics did an excellent job in making this games! grab this game and you will never regret it. Expand
  29. Mar 6, 2013
    Ok, so I was actually expecting a pretty good time from the new Tomb Raider but boy was I proved wrong. It's a bloody great time!
    While I do have a few gripes they are all minor things that are easily overshadowed by the sheer awesome.
    But for the sake of fairness let's go through them. First. The game do start off fairly weak. For the first 15-20 minutes I was certain that I they had
    But for the sake of fairness let's go through them.
    First. The game do start off fairly weak. For the first 15-20 minutes I was certain that I they had just jacked up the drama a little bit and gone for more cinematic angles to become in essence Tomb Raider: Uncharted. However once you get through the first part and the game opens up a little I was quite blown away. The games progression is still linear but you have quite a bit of freedom exploring your surroundings and the game does a really good job at making you feel like you're not being led on rails (most of the time). My second gripe is that the game feeds you too much resources. There is quite literally ammunition every ten metres or so. It's next to impossible to run out of ammo. I really hope they release a survival mode that makes scavenging and hunting more important parts of the game. The third gripe is the one that annoys me the most (though your mileage may vary) and it's the QTEs.
    I really really really hate the QTEs in this game. If I get the game over screen in this game it's about 99% probability that it was from a QTE. The game also does a really piss poor job of explaining exactly what you button you need to press and when. I must have been choked 20 times before I figured out what I needed to do.
    It's such a cheap way of adding "action" to a game and I loathe it with a passion.
    Thankfully there aren't that many of them but every time one comes along I'm unceremoniously ripped out of the immersion the game has managed to pull me into and I'm forced to hammer left/right for a few seconds and then hammer E or time a press of F. Gaaah!

Anyway.
    The good parts.
    The enviroments are really really good.
    While the "abandoned military installations on a tropical island" setting has been done lots of times before you can understand why since it's works so good and I doubt it has looked any better than this. Every part of the island has been crafted with expert care and attention to detail. Every time I enter a new part of the map I'm always excited to see what I will find this time.
    The game is also extremely good at mixing the action with the exploring. I'm not all the way through the game yet but the action has never overstayed it's welcome. The pacing of the game reminds me alot of Uncharted 2 3 and that is a really good thing (don't get me started on the pacing of the first Uncharted) The story is also well crafted and keeps you interested. You really want to find out the story behind it all and see how it comes together.

While the year is still young I have no doubt that this game will place on my top 10 of 2013.
  30. Mar 5, 2013
    All I have to say is it is a phenomenal game!! It truly is a beautifully written and dark origin story. The environments are really stunning to look at and I honestly just stand there looking around to take in the scenery. The gamp,ay is not only fun but addicting and Camilla Luddington did an amazing job with the voice acting as well. It is just such an awesome game, I can't even findAll I have to say is it is a phenomenal game!! It truly is a beautifully written and dark origin story. The environments are really stunning to look at and I honestly just stand there looking around to take in the scenery. The gamp,ay is not only fun but addicting and Camilla Luddington did an amazing job with the voice acting as well. It is just such an awesome game, I can't even find the right words to describe it. Expand
  31. Mar 5, 2013
    Tomb raider is one of the best game had ever play.The graphics are amazing, the puzzles are like side missions and feels very rewarding to discover the way to its end. I wish a sequel and DLC
  32. Mar 5, 2013
    More than just the reboot. It is should be the original. I know that there are a lot of people complain about this new TR reboot. But myself, this is one of the best TR so far. This is how a reboot should be. TR reboot has: open world include puzzles, secret tombs, action with diversity upgrade and skills, a lot of documents and relics, achievements to make the game more funnier and longerMore than just the reboot. It is should be the original. I know that there are a lot of people complain about this new TR reboot. But myself, this is one of the best TR so far. This is how a reboot should be. TR reboot has: open world include puzzles, secret tombs, action with diversity upgrade and skills, a lot of documents and relics, achievements to make the game more funnier and longer than any TR has been made before. Trust me, this is worth your time for the new gamers and very attractive game for the old hardcore gamers, too. Expand
  33. Mar 5, 2013
    The game doesnt have that long lost magic of classic Tomb Raider, but it also does poor job following Uncharted standards, so i think there is nothing really special about it. Storyline is not very entertaining, its kinda like in far cry 3, which is not a beneficial resemblance. Survival is a joke, i expected something like Snake Eater, instead you shoot stuff fot xp.
    On the other hand we
    On the other hand we have nice graphics, pretty realistic gore, OK fighting mechanics, large space to explore freely, simple and engaging rpg stuff. Overall, game is good. But from Tomb Raider reboot i expected a LOT better.
  34. Mar 6, 2013
    I honestly don't know what I'd change about this game. The location is gorgeous, and wholly believable. definitely gives even far cry 3 a run for its money. The new Lara, who has some of the most believable motion capture I've ever seen in a game, gives an impressive amount emotional range and detail. may be the best game performance ever, i can't remember one more intense. Now, mind you,I honestly don't know what I'd change about this game. The location is gorgeous, and wholly believable. definitely gives even far cry 3 a run for its money. The new Lara, who has some of the most believable motion capture I've ever seen in a game, gives an impressive amount emotional range and detail. may be the best game performance ever, i can't remember one more intense. Now, mind you, I love the Uncharted series, but especially when it comes to combat, namely gunplay, this game ANNIHILATES it. This is partially because of the new cover mechanic, and partially because an M rating gives developers more freedom to accurately depict violence. The puzzles are great, as long as you ignore the giveaway hint system, and figure them out on your own. The pacing has adrenaline at a constant high, and have a surprising amount of variation. Story is great, as long as your not easily turned off by a slightly cheesy supporting character or two. All in all, this is the first adventure game that has truly felt like an adventure worth taking. This game game certainly holds the adventure game throne, at least until The Last of Us comes out. Expand
  35. Mar 5, 2013
    I rate games based on how much fun I have while playing, Tomb Raider is loads of fun. Laura Croft maneuvers threw different terrain fluently. Her animations are top notch, similar to Drake's in Uncharted. I found the mechanics for upgrading your character unique and well designed, it didn't take away from the game play experience. I hated Assassins Creeds approach to shops and upgrades itI rate games based on how much fun I have while playing, Tomb Raider is loads of fun. Laura Croft maneuvers threw different terrain fluently. Her animations are top notch, similar to Drake's in Uncharted. I found the mechanics for upgrading your character unique and well designed, it didn't take away from the game play experience. I hated Assassins Creeds approach to shops and upgrades it was boring and ill designed. Tomb Raider only lacks in one area, audio. The sound quality is poor on my high end surround sound head phones. Note on television speakers the audio issues aren't noticeable. All in all this game is great, pulse pounding cut scenes and surprise attacks from enemies gets your blood pressure going. Expand
  36. Mar 5, 2013
    Tomb Raider is back and better than ever. What's awesome is that, despite being a reboot, the classic aspects of Tomb Raider that we all know and love is still very much present in this game. There is still a huge emphasis on puzzles, platforming, and exploration. Combat, this time around, is much more prevalent which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it works well, and is seamless. TheTomb Raider is back and better than ever. What's awesome is that, despite being a reboot, the classic aspects of Tomb Raider that we all know and love is still very much present in this game. There is still a huge emphasis on puzzles, platforming, and exploration. Combat, this time around, is much more prevalent which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it works well, and is seamless. The cover system itself is innovative, eliminating the chunkiness of taking cover that plagues most third person shooters. Instead, Lara blends with environments with ease. The new Lara is a huge improvement over the past iterations. The story is also stronger than the past games which gives us incentive to care about the characters. All in all, an amazing game. It's no wonder that, after 9 games, Lara is considered an icon. She is a legend. Enough said. Expand
  37. Mar 6, 2013
    I have played this game for 2 days straight and I'm still at 50 completion and its been wonders playing it. This game re borned the tomb raider series for the better and I'm glad I purchased this. Now the single player is amazing and easily worth 60 by itself but the developers also added multiplayer and I got to say coming from COD this is so much fun for me because it mixes pakour andI have played this game for 2 days straight and I'm still at 50 completion and its been wonders playing it. This game re borned the tomb raider series for the better and I'm glad I purchased this. Now the single player is amazing and easily worth 60 by itself but the developers also added multiplayer and I got to say coming from COD this is so much fun for me because it mixes pakour and claiming and all sorts of thing that make it fun but it does have some connectivities issues but its pretty rare. Bottom line is you won't regret this purchase. Expand
  38. Mar 5, 2013
    Got this game for free with my graphics card. Came in with no expectations, but was I ever wrong!

Graphics are phenomenal; music and ambient sound is spooky and keeps you on edge; combat is straightforward and fun; storyline is awesome and entirely believable; character development is fantastic the list goes on and on. The only detrimental aspects of the game are the quick time

The only detrimental aspects of the game are the quick time events and the GUI. I understand the QTEs make you focus on imporant parts of the storyline or keep you on the edge of your seat, but they get tiresome and really require no skill other than waiting to press a certain button at a specific moment.

The GUI in upgrading weapons/skills could have been designed better. After about 30 seconds of switching through it, I quickly got a headache from all the jostling around on the screen.

Nevertheless, I was truly blown away by this game. Coming from a fan of the original Tomb Raiders from the 90's, this is a breath of fresh air into what was stagnated game franchise. While it is not perfect (but truly, what games are?) it is still one of the best games of 2013. If you are on the fence about getting this game, wait no longer. Go and purchase it immediately. It will not disappoint.
  39. Mar 6, 2013
    The game is a good game but had a few problems in the game that ruined my experience. I had a game breaking glitch occur to me luckily i could use another glitch to get out of it but it ruined my experience as i was stuck there for a long time. I found most things it does in this game are done better in other games. i found the exploration better in far cry 3. I found the shootingThe game is a good game but had a few problems in the game that ruined my experience. I had a game breaking glitch occur to me luckily i could use another glitch to get out of it but it ruined my experience as i was stuck there for a long time. I found most things it does in this game are done better in other games. i found the exploration better in far cry 3. I found the shooting mechanics better in gears of war. The climbing was better in uncharted. Plus the story was a decent attempt and enjoyable but was not at the heights of uncharted 2. The characters were the biggest let down though i found them way too cliche. I've seen them done in so many other games that i only cared for Lara herself. If it was her by herself this game would off been a lot better. But overall the game really has good moments and is good if you want mechanics from a vary of really excellent games. It's mechanics are just not as strong as those games mentioned. ill rate Tomb Raider and 8/10 Expand
  40. Mar 7, 2013
    One of the best game I´ve played this year. It´s Awesome and you won´t regret buyng it. It´s not fair the comparison with Uncharted. Each game have it´s own issues. I`ve spent more than two days to reach only 50%. M
  41. Mar 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although I would love to be able to give Tomb Raider a 10, I never give those out unless I consider them ground breaking (like say Half Life 2 would be my standard for ground breaking) This is a good game, some may say a very good game, I'm still not sold on that idea. Tomb Raider is what really clinched the gamer in me back in 96' and so I was all ready to love this game. First the good, the combat is fun, there are some very exciting sequences (at least the first time through), the combat controls are very responsive, scenery great, sound great, acting fantastic, script good, maps well thought out and some are really fun battle playgrounds. It's fun at least the first time through. The second time not as much fun. Now the not so good. I really have a hard time with the amount of control that is taken away from the player, esp. in the first hour and a half of the game. This annoyance occurs at other moments through out and at key moments. That last part really gets me. The result of this is that you lose all sense of strategy." How do I survive that guy with the turret? what with me being all confined in this bottle neckish map? no worries, my dev gods are powerful, they will handle it for me. As a matter of fact they love me so much they hold my hand in the worst of times, no brain needed, just quick fingers!" Sigh. I love strategy, esp the old days of Lara looking at a room and saying to herself, "hmm, how am I going to get up there, and how many times will I break my neck?" I want to die five times trying to figure out how to get that guy in the turret dang it! Its my right as an avatar! oh well. key moments....it's Tomb Raider just not my tomb raider and yes I'm your mom, so it's not your mom's tomb raider. It's like Resident Evil, but it's not Resident Evil, it's a dev gods wet dream of Resident Evil. If you catch my drift. Fortunately, it's no where near as oppressive and QTE controlling as RE6, but it goes in the same direction. Another just slight annoyance was occasional aiming or camera problems but nothing too significant, it may cause you a bad injury or death in one or two maps if you don't change position quick, but no big deal. Finally, the "exploring" needs to be addressed. I put that in quotes because, well here is the definition 1.Travel in or through (an unfamiliar country or area) in order to learn about or familiarize oneself with it. 2. Search for resources such as mineral deposit. I think of the first, they think of the second. Tomato, tomato. The exploring is basically bs. in my mind because there are no new locations or interesting things to find. The tombs are so meaningless,The puzzles are more than elementary and the payoff is like opening a treasure chest, finding paper money and as soon as you touch it, it dissolves in your hand. Just nothing there. Come on guys! I would be happy with a samurai statute and say collect all of them and display them like Shepherd's ships or something! Instead you give us...uh, what do we get? blah. But okay, all in all it's great story for a great gal, with great action. A movie really with some gaming fun worked in. I like it, a lot, I might possibly buy it when they price goes down, but right now I have to return it to redbox so someone else can have some fun and so I can play the ME3 Citadel dlc, I think it's almost downloaded now...see you there boys! Expand
  42. Mar 6, 2013
    The Game is awesome! next gen is here! the story is not very interesting but its Ok. the game-play are amazing. enemies are interesting, everything in this game are amazing! Must Buy
  43. Mar 6, 2013
    Un juego excelente, el modelado de Lara es impresionante, los escenarios muy bien diseñados y en ciertos momentos genera mucha tensión, la pena es que está todo demasiado guiado y no deja nada de libertad.
  44. Mar 6, 2013
    This truly Is a Tomb Raider game, sure it has more combat than the classic Tomb Raider's but that's just based on the fact gaming trends have changed. The Graphics are amazing! The Story is a little bit predictable but still good enough and Lara is actually believable and more likable now! 100% game of the year! must play!
  45. Mar 7, 2013
    A fantastic reboot for the Tomb Raider series. The game truly makes Lara Croft a relatable character in the modern video game audience. From start to finish this is an origin story you do not want to miss. A few minor criticisms but these never detract from the game and more so to do with there wasn't enough of them ...

+ Engaging and intriguing storyline + Fantastic Pacing and mix of

+ Engaging and intriguing storyline
    + Fantastic Pacing and mix of gamely
    + Amazing graphics and atmospheric environments (literally the best looking game I have seen on my console)
    + Dynamic combat and XP system

- Would have liked to see more puzzles harder puzzles Multiplayer is standard. Would have been nice to see something unique here maybe a cool co-op etc

Still these never take away from the true masterpiece that is Tomb Raider. For action adventure fans this is a must buy. For anyone who plays games at all MUST BUY.
  46. Mar 8, 2013
    This game is amazing! I have over 80 games for my xbox and this is one of the best. The game has beautiful graphics along with outstanding physics. Many of the environments are so good that I found them to rival crysis at points. The skill system is a nice feature that allows you to customize Lara to your play style. For example you could go through the entire game only using a bow or anThis game is amazing! I have over 80 games for my xbox and this is one of the best. The game has beautiful graphics along with outstanding physics. Many of the environments are so good that I found them to rival crysis at points. The skill system is a nice feature that allows you to customize Lara to your play style. For example you could go through the entire game only using a bow or an axe. The combat is fluid and the guns sound powerful like they should. The enemy AI is good but better on harder difficulties. Also for those who complain about it being to easy all you have to do is increase the difficulty. Story wise this game nails it again. The story is action packed and exciting. The story is structured very similar to the TV show Lost. Another point I'd like to make is that this is my first Tomb Raider game so I am not bias. Although this reboot has made me a fan and I hope Square Enix has more planned. FYI, if you are looking for a multiplayer game this is not it. The campaign is amazing but the multiplayer is lackluster. Also if you dont want to get this game because the protagonist is a woman... then good luck getting a girlfriend. Expand
  47. Mar 18, 2013
    I'm shocked to say that I really like this game. In case you're wondering why, I've never been a fan of the Tomb Raider series, and when previews of this game started cropping up I immediately wrote it off as an Uncharted clone and had no intentions of playing it. Boy was I wrong. Gameplay, Story, Characters: it's all there, and it's very well done. Having an island that you can traverseI'm shocked to say that I really like this game. In case you're wondering why, I've never been a fan of the Tomb Raider series, and when previews of this game started cropping up I immediately wrote it off as an Uncharted clone and had no intentions of playing it. Boy was I wrong. Gameplay, Story, Characters: it's all there, and it's very well done. Having an island that you can traverse at your will (once unlocking areas) and return to in order to get out of reach items with new skills is just genius for this type of game. Upgrading weapons, unlocking new skills/abilities, and wandering off the beaten path to explore caves and work puzzles has never been better. Action sequences come in spurts and are violent and chaotic, and perfectly capture the nature of this game. This is exactly the type of game play that Uncharted 4 needs to succeed. Play this game buy it, rent it, borrow it, do whatever you have to, but if you enjoy action games, this one is definitely for you. Expand
  48. Mar 8, 2013
    The team who made this game was clearly inspired by the Uncharted series, but they took the all the action of that series and added a soul. This is a beautiful game, and I hope there's a lot more to come from this team.
  49. Mar 8, 2013
    Very much enjoying tomb raider. It fits nicely into the adventure action game niche; assassins creed type, but has its own unique identity, making it feel very fresh and new.

A very good reboot to a franchise I never much cared about, it's very cinematic but doesn't remove player control to make it work. Well worth the buy, I highly suggest it.
  50. Mar 9, 2013
    First let me start by saying I have been a huge tomb raider fan all the way back to its beginnings in 96 So I may be a little biased in my rating But never has a game had me on the edge of my seat for the entire campaign like this game has. I was very nervious that with this reboot tomb raider would lose its way and alienate it's core fans like myself After Playing this game I canFirst let me start by saying I have been a huge tomb raider fan all the way back to its beginnings in 96 So I may be a little biased in my rating But never has a game had me on the edge of my seat for the entire campaign like this game has. I was very nervious that with this reboot tomb raider would lose its way and alienate it's core fans like myself After Playing this game I can truely say this game has not only stayed true to its roots but expanded upon them and for a die hard fan like me I could not be more happy I really hope this is the begging of many more games like this from this series. Go do yourself a favor and give this title a try I promise you will be amazed by the grafix story and gameplay Expand
  51. Mar 14, 2013
    The original TR games should be written off. Much in the same way as the original Batman films. This is a very, very good game. No hidden agenda here, i just like playing good games and have been for 30 years!
    Anyone who rates this less than 7 is working for the sun queen! Seriously, best game I have played for a while. Just wish the map was bigger, maybe open world, with more tombs to explore but I understand the limitations of the current generation consoles. Can not wait for the next one.
  52. Mar 9, 2013
    I have mixed views of this game. After waiting a year for it to come out I am disappointed. I have only just bought this game and not played much, however so far it seems you can't die, I died once when a rock fell on me but that's it, i tried walking of the edge of a cliff, nothing happened and when walking across a high up log, you think, because your wobbling that you are going to fallI have mixed views of this game. After waiting a year for it to come out I am disappointed. I have only just bought this game and not played much, however so far it seems you can't die, I died once when a rock fell on me but that's it, i tried walking of the edge of a cliff, nothing happened and when walking across a high up log, you think, because your wobbling that you are going to fall of, but if you try to walk of nothing happens, its says go slow and be careful but the fact is there's no point saying that because it wont let you speed up or jump... Also when some wolves where coming at me, they stayed slow motion for about 3 seconds. EXTREMELY EASY (and i struggled with the older games) and there's no guns so far. There is no point playing a game if your going to be told what to do, the LB button just tells you everything to do, where to go and what to find... THIS IS SO STUPID, you play the game because you want to play it not to have it practicably done fore you. Some goods, its got a good story and characters and the graphics are amazing, i love games with a beautiful scenery however this game has been overloaded with little clips or her doing stuff (like a movie) Expand
  53. Mar 9, 2013
    Best game i've played in a long time. Looks great and really fun the set pieces are better than any cod has to offer, imo. Definitely recommend this to anyone and everyone...
  54. Mar 10, 2013
    There are very few games that I would consider worthy of a '10', but Tomb Raider is one of them.
    The main reason is that it fully accomplishes what it sets out to do in just about every respect. The gameplay, while not necessarily groundbreaking, innovates in all the right places-- from the flawless movement mechanics that encourage fluid exploration, to the solid 3rd-person combat mechanics that does away with traditional 'press a button to lock onto cover' system, to the almost invisible camera that seamlessly transitions from close up claustrophobic spaces to expansive vistas. The innovation here is subtle but the developers seem to have made all the right decisions.
    Along with the exploration that players have come to expect from traditional platformers, they've added RPG elements in the form of skill and weapon upgrades that not only add depth and meaning to exploration, but serve to support the narrative by making Lara Croft gradually become closer to the tough character she will ultimately grow into.
    The combat mechanics are tight and easy to pick up quickly, aided by careful level design that challenges the player while never being frustrating-- something that many games seem to forget to do properly.
    The auto-cover system makes the combat feel refreshingly different from games like Uncharted or Gears of War since the player is always able to fluidly move between cover without ever feeling stuck. The combat spaces tend to encourage vertical movement as well, rewarding players for well-timed jumps and dodges and making Lara seem that much cooler for developing her climbing skills. Also, the enemy AI was surprisingly smart-- playing the same combat scenario by 'restarting from last checkpoint' made me realize that there are so many ways to approach combat. Enemies do such a great job of adapting and reacting to your combat style that you can tell the designers spent a lot of effort to make each setup play many different ways.
    The environments are harsh and unforgiving yet hauntingly beautiful-- whether you're underground or atop a mountain cliff side, there just so much to look at that it never gets stale. This also really made me want to keep playing just to see what was next.
    While I didn't love all the characters (particularly some of the voice work on some lesser supporting characters), nothing stood out as jarringly bad and the story actually kept me interested to play to the end. It's helpful to note that finding journal entries and other artifacts really helps fill in the holes of the story. In other words, don't just skip everything and rush to the finish line-- it'll be worth the time to listen to backstory.
    Lastly, the audio is amazing. Not just the score, which is beautiful, but every little thing in the world makes just the right sound and it really immersed me in the experience.
    Lastly, give multiplayer a chance! I've only played a small amount but there's actually enough innovation there to make it feel unique and fun. Interesting game modes, unique weaponry, setting traps, and fun team-based gameplay are just a few things that will make me play some more for sure.
  55. Mar 30, 2013
    Tomb Raider... Forth coming and engaging title for a game like this. Puzzles, action, platforming, beautiful island landscape, and Laura Croft. This game has a few was to describe it, both good... but also bad. Bad? Yes, this game is not flawless, but it has it's high marks for action and adventure, but when it comes to story and characters it drops slightly. Action can be powerful,Tomb Raider... Forth coming and engaging title for a game like this. Puzzles, action, platforming, beautiful island landscape, and Laura Croft. This game has a few was to describe it, both good... but also bad. Bad? Yes, this game is not flawless, but it has it's high marks for action and adventure, but when it comes to story and characters it drops slightly. Action can be powerful, but very linear. Adventure is open and wonderfully dynamic. But story moves oddly throughout the campaign and can be seen coming from a mile away to as it progresses. Characters are like cardboard and use a ungodly amount of psychology in their speaking, making them as bland as the lead characters from Dead Island. Laura is still young and new to this, but her character is just as bland. Other things of concern is the oddity of enemies: Turns out they are all shipwrecked and abandoned people who turned into prisoners of the island, but they are all well supplied with WWII and ancient Japanese weapons that they come out of the woodwork like they are infinite little bugs going up against a untrained and unconditioned 20 year old female that can seemingly murder then by the dozens... or thousands. It's obscene to think that many people actually live there... on a tiny island... with unlimited fuel and ammo... all men... and are at war with an unknown enemy that could kill them easily. Sorry to say, but with great adventure and platforming, comes linear combat, characters made of cardboard, and expecting storyline. Expand
  56. Mar 10, 2013
    Tomb Raider set out to be an origin story, to reboot the franchise and it has completed that goal above and beyond. As every origin story should it provides in amazing detail the changes of Lara Croft through her adventures. Tomb Raider appeals to everyone, fans of adventure games, fans of Lara Croft and fans of video games. This reboot is a must buy.
  57. Mar 12, 2013
    I'm going to keep this short and sweet. This is the most enjoyable campaign experience I've had in a LONG time. And I've played all the top rated titles. I used to play the old games, and while they were good for their time they had their flaws. This is my favorite Tomb Raider by FAR. Great smooth game mechanics and handling. Very good graphics and story. Nice balance of fighting,I'm going to keep this short and sweet. This is the most enjoyable campaign experience I've had in a LONG time. And I've played all the top rated titles. I used to play the old games, and while they were good for their time they had their flaws. This is my favorite Tomb Raider by FAR. Great smooth game mechanics and handling. Very good graphics and story. Nice balance of fighting, exploring and puzzles. Honestly this is the first single player campaign in years I couldn't stop playing because it was so engrossing. Definitely go buy this game if you like to be immersed in a journey. It deserves a metacritic rating in the 90s for sure, Walking Dead got a 92 and it doesn't hold a candle to Tomb Raider. 10 out of 10! Expand
  58. Mar 10, 2013
    Best of the tomb raiders for me, first game in a long time to really get me rearing to come home from work and continue playing. The gameplay was top notch and the puzzles were good. The games length was perfect and has a continue mode for players that would like to go back to the tombs/areas they missed.
  59. Mar 10, 2013
    I just got 4000 Microsoft points from this site for free! :D freemspointsforever com This game really sucks dude. If you buy it you're a retardedededed.
  60. Mar 10, 2013
    One of the best video games of last years... everything is great except a few of parts for upgrade. Therefore in the end the only variant is to kill deer’s and hares. Somehow it not humanly
  61. Mar 10, 2013
    This is my first review on here but I've played a large number over the years and always refer here for real user reviews. Tomb raider is a fantastic game. The cut scenes are often so well done that sometimes you are not sure if you are controlling the character or if it is a short cut scene. The environments although dark at times are very fun and interesting to work your way through.This is my first review on here but I've played a large number over the years and always refer here for real user reviews. Tomb raider is a fantastic game. The cut scenes are often so well done that sometimes you are not sure if you are controlling the character or if it is a short cut scene. The environments although dark at times are very fun and interesting to work your way through. I would compare the gameplay so much to my favorite franchise with the batman arkham series. The use of different weapons and tools opens the world up throughout the game so that you have many opportunities to continue to explore. The mechanics are great once you get used to them. The only problem I had was with the timing of when you are supposed to hit the counter buttons. Other than that it has the great first person qualities of the best games, some decent although pointless customizing of skills (you have to upgrade almost everything before you open up the final tier of skills), and exploring of a simple open work although it is not fully open.

The only real complaint that I have is that the intensity goes from very high to very low. The moving over ledges and cliffs is nice but did not seem to feel like I had to be very skilled to manage it. There is little by way of timing with different buttons. You have to try this game. From the start, you are thrown into a fun story!
  62. Mar 11, 2013
    Tomb raider reboot is outstandingly done. This game delivers intense cinematic feel which helps the immersion and compliments the experience. Encountered a graphics during the large combat scene but this does not take for the overall experience. If you still wonder about picking this game up. Take this suggestion. Its worth it. Thank you for your time.
  63. Mar 11, 2013
    Long time veteran of the medium Lara Croft is no stranger to adventure, but in Crystal Dynamics new origin tale, we aim to achieve a closer relation to the newly redesigned heroine, and simultaneously bring a game long known for its puzzles and adventurous platforming into the new age of video game storytelling, all without sacrificing the tomb raiding the game built it’s name upon. DoesLong time veteran of the medium Lara Croft is no stranger to adventure, but in Crystal Dynamics new origin tale, we aim to achieve a closer relation to the newly redesigned heroine, and simultaneously bring a game long known for its puzzles and adventurous platforming into the new age of video game storytelling, all without sacrificing the tomb raiding the game built it’s name upon. Does this new Lara possess the ability to tell a hero’s tale and maintain the things that make Tomb Raider what it is? Well what came first, the chicken, or the egg?

No, we’re not getting into a lesson in Poultry. The reason i say that is the immediate feeling I got from the new Tomb Raider, much as I expected, was distinctly Uncharted. Of course, as anyone who has played Uncharted can attest to, it clearly took a heavy influence from at least the general outline of a Tomb Raider game, and added the flash and story that was needed to bring it into this generation of games. How did it feel like Uncharted than? Well Uncharted is the only game I’ve played in which it truly feels like you’re playing through an action/adventure film, and while sometimes taking its narrative hand a bit far and being criticized for forcing you along a designated path, some story’s are best told in that manner, and I get the feeling early on that Lara’s transformation from everyday woman into hardened survivor is best told in that very way.

From the games opening sequence it is clear it is going for a feeling of immersion. To say honestly that for the first time since the original Bioshock, I was blissfully unaware that I was in control of the character, and sat there for a moment wondering why nothing more was happening, makes me happy as a game opening can make me. Not because it’s a silly way of showing how impressive their in engine cinematics are, which even running on the consoles near decade old hardware are stunningly seamless. But rather for the fact that it truly feels as if it is a baton pass from narrator to player, which is rarely handled so well in this sort of affair. The island is also brilliantly well designed, feeling as if based on actual existing rock formations for how organically beautiful it all feels when the waves crash upon them, and how casually lara squeezes through tight spaces that in most games would be a convenient gap in the mile long rock wall. While not entirely open world, it never feels as if I am being forced on my path, but rather that I am compelled to continue that direction for honest curiosities sake.

I need to get my major gripe out of the way, because while initially jarring, doesn’t negatively impact the game experience I got in the end. Crystal Dynatics made it clear that this is the tale of Lara’s transformation into a survivor- but the gameplay takes a stark contrasting twist a short way into the game when you go from someone who struggles to handle the thought of murdering an Animal for the sake of survival, to someone who, seemingly without much thought, can blow up a barrel, igniting a man into flames until he ceases to live, and continue on her journey without hesitation. Again, while initially jarring to make such a leap, I understand from a gameplay perspective why they felt the need for not only a decent enemy population, but also a good variety of options for personal or environmental takedowns, and it does not take away from the fun i had with the game. That said, I do sadly feel that while fun is the reason I play games, I love a solid execution of storytelling, and the contrast in narrative against gameplay in this case does nothing but damage the experience i had feeling like i was becoming a survivor.

The general platforming is a ton of fun, which is good because the majority of the game consists of trying to figure out the best way to traverse each environment to get where you need to get to, using the tools you’ve been given. This is truly the high point of the game. Uncharted had a bad habit of assuming its players are a bit more on the casual side, which i understand for a certain accessibility standpoint. Tomb Raider pulls no punches at making you think as if you were in Lara’s shoes, holding Lara’s tools, trying to navigate your environment in the safest and most efficient way possible, though they are rarely the same route. The feeling you get when you look back and realize how far you’ve traveled, in awe of how on earth you got there or could ever begin to get back down, is near unrivaled.

While taking away from the notion of someone truly being out of their element, it needs to be said that the combat system built here is both fun and visceral, and although the first few times you see yourself go down in a stunning exposition of violence may put a few people off at first, it does make you feel the impact as bit more. Avoiding such... Full Review: goo.gl/JkYXf
  64. Mar 11, 2013
    Without question, this is the best entry in the series. It controls smoothly and the action is exciting and intense. Camille Luddington gives the most emotional performance as Lara Croft so far. I've ignored the Tomb Raider series since Chronicles but this brought me back into it and now I can't wait for Square Enix's continuation of the series. I hope it remains in their hands for a longWithout question, this is the best entry in the series. It controls smoothly and the action is exciting and intense. Camille Luddington gives the most emotional performance as Lara Croft so far. I've ignored the Tomb Raider series since Chronicles but this brought me back into it and now I can't wait for Square Enix's continuation of the series. I hope it remains in their hands for a long time.

There are flaws, like the plot and especially the antagonists being fairly weak. However, I overlooked these issues in gratitude for finally getting a Tomb Raider game that didn't collapse due to horrible controls and muddy graphics that made solving puzzles nearly impossible.
  65. Mar 11, 2013
    The new Tomb Raider is amazing. I am not a big fan of third-person games in general. However, this game is incredibly fun to play and is very accessible if you're more of a first-person shooter type of player. The action and story are very engaging and you'll find it hard to put down once you've familiarized yourself with all that's possible. The learning curve is very short which meansThe new Tomb Raider is amazing. I am not a big fan of third-person games in general. However, this game is incredibly fun to play and is very accessible if you're more of a first-person shooter type of player. The action and story are very engaging and you'll find it hard to put down once you've familiarized yourself with all that's possible. The learning curve is very short which means you'll platforming across massive environments for hard to find treasure and embedding your climbing axe into the skulls of those less fortunate very quickly. This game is very violent, and there is something strangely invigorating about dodging a melee attack and stabbing your enemies knee with an arrow, so you can lay the final blow to their head the cut scenes are fantastic. The mechanics are great, and I have no bad things to say about this game. If you've enjoyed any of the newest Batman games I highly recommend you pick this up. Potential Game of the Year. Expand
  66. Mar 11, 2013
    Tomb Raider has a great story and the environments are beautiful and well done. The combat is also entertaining and becomes more so as you unlock skills to upgrade Lara and her arsenal. However the game has some seriously clunky controls. I found myself having to repeat QTE's over and over because the game couldn't recognize the control stick being mashed. (I checked, it's not theTomb Raider has a great story and the environments are beautiful and well done. The combat is also entertaining and becomes more so as you unlock skills to upgrade Lara and her arsenal. However the game has some seriously clunky controls. I found myself having to repeat QTE's over and over because the game couldn't recognize the control stick being mashed. (I checked, it's not the controller) Also there is no crouch button so I found myself being shot to death constantly seeing as you cannot choose when to crouch, and the game decides for you. This is especially annoying when trying to take cover behind a waist high wall. The y-axis will also become inverted at random and changing this in the menu doesn't do anything, you will have to restart your game to fix this. There are also times when things don't make any sense at all. Like you pull something down and it goes through the floor. When you look down the heavy object is no where to be seen, it just vanishes somehow. The main thing that kept me playing this until the end though was the combat. It was always satisfying to execute enemies no matter which weapon you are using. This isn't really interesting though until you start unlocking the executions. So overall, I think it's fun. It's just the controls are so screwy and cause so many unnecessary deaths. So it can get frustrating very fast. Expand
  67. Mar 11, 2013
    A masterpiece. It certainly beats my expectation over my extremely high expectation on games reboot. It is easily the best game of the year 2013. can't wait to have a second game from Crystal Dynamics.
  68. Jun 21, 2013
    Everything has to have a reboot these days, so now it’s Tomb Raider’s turn. Granted, if a franchise was ever in serious need of a new take on it, it most assuredly is the Tomb Raider franchise. Now, I like the Tomb Raider games and have enjoyed all of them (with the exception of Angel of Darkness, though it had some good ideas), but let’s face it, the franchise was getting a bit long inEverything has to have a reboot these days, so now it’s Tomb Raider’s turn. Granted, if a franchise was ever in serious need of a new take on it, it most assuredly is the Tomb Raider franchise. Now, I like the Tomb Raider games and have enjoyed all of them (with the exception of Angel of Darkness, though it had some good ideas), but let’s face it, the franchise was getting a bit long in the tooth, so I applauded Crystal Dynamics when they told us what the game was going to be.
    So, is the end result any good or is it another Angel of Darkness?
    Luckily the answer is that there is no Angel in sight! As a matter of fact, it’s a damn fine game.
    The first thing that strikes you, is how different the style is from the other games of the franchise. Lara is no longer the carefree, thrill seeking, overly confident action heroine we have gotten used to and love. Now, she is a somewhat naïve, adventure seeking, young, insecure, vulnerable woman who finds herself in a kill or be killed struggle for survival. A special shout out has to go to Camilla Luddington playing Lara who manages to perfectly mesh together the young Lara’s vulnerability and insecurity with the “kick butt and take names” attitude of the old Lara, making her quite a credible and sympathetic character to play.
    The gameplay has also changed somewhat as the caves and ancient ruins, though they are there, have largely been replaced by mountains, woods and more modern structures, all adding to a more gritty overall style. The shooting has been vastly improved. Rather than the lock-on system of old we now have the very familiar controls of any third person shooter, which to me is a good thing as I always found the shooting to be the weakest part of the Tomb Raider franchise, making the shooting sections a lot more satisfying. This fact combined with overall good and responsive controls, reasonable enemy AI, interesting and varied levels to explore and some good characters and an at least interesting story (if not close to original) which is extremely well presented, you’ve got one of the best games released in 2013 so far.
    However, I do have a few problems with this game.
    The hunting aspect is used only once. The rest of the “hunting” is not to get food, but simply to gain experience which seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. Why emphasize her first kill of a deer to get food, when it’s not used throughout the rest of the game? I know this scene is used more for character development than anything, but when you then go on a killing spree, slaughtering animals left and right for no other reason than to gain XP, it undermines Lara as it seems a bit out of character, even if there is a limit as to how many animals you can viciously slaughter.
    Secondly, Crystal Dynamics unfortunately seem to have fallen into the “fear-of-people-getting-stuck-so-we-better-hold-them-by-the-hand-like-a-child”-strategy which seems to permeate all triple A titles today. The introduction of the all too pervasive “sixth sense”, enabling you to see all points of interest as fluorescent, takes the exploration factor straight out of a game which actually seems to WANT the player to explore. Rather counterproductive, I would say. What ever happened to the player being able find things on their own without fluorescent lights and holograms guiding them all the way? What are developers so damn afraid of? This is also unfortunately present in the puzzles. Everything that can be manipulated is of course highlighted, but to further dumb down the puzzle aspect (which isn’t exactly rocket science to begin with) Lara will constantly give hints as to what needs to be done. Well, not so much hints, as almost bloody telling you exactly what to do with what and how. Really, Crystal Dynamics? You actually found that necessary in a game which is obviously not targeted at children?
    Lastly, we have the “stealth” parts of the game, which are so guided they might as well have been cutscenes. They do a good job in regard to the story, but not in regard to gameplay as there really are no other places to go than the one the game wants you to. Deviate and die, CoD style. Yet another missed opportunity.
    All of these problems lead to my main problem with Tomb Raider. It’s simply way, way, way too easy. Throughout the entire campaign I died three times. Three! I’m not exactly a joypad wizard, so when 99% of the times I die in a game like this is because I actually wanted to in order to see the rather effective and quite horrid death sequences, then the game is extremely easy.
    Without said problems I would have no problem calling Tomb Raider a classic in it’s genre, but with them it’s just (and this is by no means a bad thing) a very, very good game which deserves a lot of attention and though it feels too guided at times, I still found it extremely enjoyable to follow Lara on her new journey. Now, if Crystal Dynamics could just let go of our hand and go all the way…
  69. Mar 12, 2013
    Too easy, waaaaay to easy... This hole game (almost!) just felt like a level 1 or the tutorial level from any of the old TR games...6 hours total with hand holding all the way through is a JOKE. And whats up with the camera angles and wardrobe? Where it set and made by religigious fanatics? I really dont want to see Lara with a 1930s adventurer, bomber jacket, case closed!!!!!!!!!!!! AndToo easy, waaaaay to easy... This hole game (almost!) just felt like a level 1 or the tutorial level from any of the old TR games...6 hours total with hand holding all the way through is a JOKE. And whats up with the camera angles and wardrobe? Where it set and made by religigious fanatics? I really dont want to see Lara with a 1930s adventurer, bomber jacket, case closed!!!!!!!!!!!! And yeah, the graphics kinda sucks too...it tries to fool you and make you think that it's good, but suddenly all the caves looks the same, and as in Far Blurr 3 this suffer from the same poor writing distance. I bet this can run well on an ipad in relativly short time, and thats not an overstatementt! Sad to see that Lara is gone cause this simply isnt a TR game!! Expand
  70. Mar 13, 2013
    Tomb raider is back and better than ever.
    Not only is the reboot more challenging than the old games, its more compelling, you will feel like Lara has evolved throughout her journey. You will see Not only the physical but the mental damage she goes through and how she pulls through and emerges as true tomb raider.
    -combat Not exactly innovative but unique bow abilities and finishing
    Tomb raider is back and better than ever.
    -combat
    Not exactly innovative but unique bow abilities and finishing moves
    -story
    Amazing, feels like a really good movie, like something Stanley Kubrick would direct.
    -parkour
    Feels like uncharted, but with a bit more options thanks to Lara's ability to jump walls and her climbing axe
    -bad things
    While the ending is quite satisfying, the final mission can get tedious because you thrown off balance a lot while being shot at
    The final boss battle is easy, Just wait for him to attack, dodge, roll behind him and put a shotgun round in his back

I almost forgot the graphics
    The graphics are amazing, so much attention went into this game, to put it simply this game makes halo 4 look like pacman the graphics are that amazing.
  71. Mar 13, 2013
    I finally made a Metacritic account just to review this game. I am a big fan of mature, story-driven games with deep character development. Thus, I hold games like Bioshock or Witcher in a very high regard. That being said, this game is a gem. I have never been a fan of the Tomb Raider series mainly because the story for many of the games seemed overly fantastical and borderline absurd.I finally made a Metacritic account just to review this game. I am a big fan of mature, story-driven games with deep character development. Thus, I hold games like Bioshock or Witcher in a very high regard. That being said, this game is a gem. I have never been a fan of the Tomb Raider series mainly because the story for many of the games seemed overly fantastical and borderline absurd. Furthermore, previous Tomb Raider games featured an overly sexualized Lara Croft who was not very relatable or likeable. This game, however, is a much needed breath of fresh air and a wonderful reboot of the franchise.

First of all, the new Lara Croft is often vulnerable, but still strong and resilient. The way her personality and character developed throughout the story was just beautiful. As a player, one begins to care about the character as if she were a real person.

Second of all, there is an incredible amount of detail in all of the different environments. The forests, shanty towns, ship wrecks, caves, and tombs are littered with so much visual eye-candy that it really brings the player into the game. As a history buff, I absolutely loved finding the different artifacts and also found the optional tombs and the ancient ruins to be breathtaking. This game does not skimp on the visuals.

In summary, I definitely recommend this game to anyone who favors story, character development, and exploration over straight action. Although there are brief episodes of intense fighting, the focus of this game is really to tell a story that is filled with moments of mystery, awe, sadness, and grace.
  72. Mar 26, 2013
    I have to say honestly best game I have played in a long time. This game is a must try you would not be disappointed. Very similar to uncharted in mostly every way however i think tomb raider is much darker. Its that good that im after all the collectibles in game and going for the 1000g i honestly cannot put it down. Go on give it a try you know you want to....;)
  73. Mar 14, 2013
    Incredibly lazy game design. I have killed Lara so many times as they try to 'teach' the controls. Their 'tutorial' mode is enough that I have put down this game. This is solved by very simple adjustments to the game design (ie. the first time an 'action' sequence comes, don't kill Lara if you don't hit "Y" in time, just show her that it is negative and allow her to try again...).Incredibly lazy game design. I have killed Lara so many times as they try to 'teach' the controls. Their 'tutorial' mode is enough that I have put down this game. This is solved by very simple adjustments to the game design (ie. the first time an 'action' sequence comes, don't kill Lara if you don't hit "Y" in time, just show her that it is negative and allow her to try again...). Shame on you game designers. Expand
  74. Mar 15, 2013
    This game is awesome. I've never played any old tomb raider's games, and I didn't plan to get this game when it first came out. However, after checking a 20 minutes youtube play-through video, I felt the urgency to get the game on my hand, and turned out totally worth the money and the time. After Mass effect 3, my interests in video game reached a low point, all video publishers treat usThis game is awesome. I've never played any old tomb raider's games, and I didn't plan to get this game when it first came out. However, after checking a 20 minutes youtube play-through video, I felt the urgency to get the game on my hand, and turned out totally worth the money and the time. After Mass effect 3, my interests in video game reached a low point, all video publishers treat us as cash-cows and release unfinished/unpolished product. Finally, tomb raider makes me want to play video game again. and I have tons of WTF- that's so awesome moments when playing this game. In a way, I love Lara more than brain-dead Shepherd in ME3, that's how good the character development in TR. The combat is solid and fun to play. I have zero trouble with QTE, when the ring is on waiting for the 'Y' to show up, then press 'Y', i am not sure how anyone can miss it and think it is too hard. The story, well, is so-well done, after I finished the game I felt 'OK, it is possible again for video game to tell a COMPLETE story in a satisfying way'. You can feel that the developers put so much love in this game. Expand
  75. Mar 23, 2013
    Most beautiful Lara ever created...thanks to camilla luddington for lending voice & character
    .Engaging Music...Camera view is apt..very good story line..
    Story of How young lara with no skills and weapons becomes skilled survivor Tomb Raider is clearly depicted all together make game engaging involving interesting Fantastic Job and great effort by Square Enix Its worth the
    .Engaging Music...Camera view is apt..very good story line..

all together make game engaging involving interesting

Fantastic Job and great effort by Square Enix

Its worth the wait of 2 years since first awesome lively trailer

Best of Tomb Raider game ever till date..

10hr of engaging gameplay

Prince Of persia and TOmb Raider go hand in hand..if u miss the former,later can also be an alternative
  76. Mar 17, 2013
    I have played every Tomb Raider since the beginning and this reboot is by far the best ever. Letting the player experience Lara's origin and that fact that she's not perfect, finds herself in serious trouble and gets pretty badly beat up is in amazing experience. I winced and felt for Lara every time she got hit by an enemy, fell off a cliff and got impaled. The game mechanics are soI have played every Tomb Raider since the beginning and this reboot is by far the best ever. Letting the player experience Lara's origin and that fact that she's not perfect, finds herself in serious trouble and gets pretty badly beat up is in amazing experience. I winced and felt for Lara every time she got hit by an enemy, fell off a cliff and got impaled. The game mechanics are so immersive that I forget I am playing a video game. It's more like watching a compelling movie.

Bravo!
  77. Mar 17, 2013
    All I have to say is wow. Overall with the 11 hour Campaign, it was pretty awesome. Both Multiplayer and Campaign have very good Graphics, Interfaces, and Animations. I have to say, that this game is good how it does Free-Roam and Story Mode put together, Love it.
  78. Mar 17, 2013
    I honestly wasn't sure what I would think of this reboot of Lara, but I ended up really liking it. My biggest problem with it was the quick time events, at times it felt like there was to many. Mostly this comes from failing a number of them several times and having to repeat them cause I wasn't able to hit the correct button quickly enough leading to Lara's death, as I've never been greatI honestly wasn't sure what I would think of this reboot of Lara, but I ended up really liking it. My biggest problem with it was the quick time events, at times it felt like there was to many. Mostly this comes from failing a number of them several times and having to repeat them cause I wasn't able to hit the correct button quickly enough leading to Lara's death, as I've never been great with qt events. I really like the over all story and the fact they stuck with Lara's history of dealing with mystical things. Combat felt good to me loved using the bow quickly became my go to weapon for most long range fights even after getting other weapons like the pistol, or rifle. Expand
  79. Mar 19, 2013
    I enjoyed every minute with this game. The story was great and the action was top notch. My only complaint is that the pace of the story wasn't consistent throughout. The last half of the game slowed down and there were very few big set pieces. Must buy!
  80. Mar 19, 2013
    This is what tomb raider needed in my opinion to stay competitive with the like of uncharted, the graphics are amazing the story is epic, square Enix have made Lara back to her best.
  81. Mar 20, 2013
    Tomb Raider is an exhilarating experience from beginning to end. It's beautiful, packed with action, and sets itself above all other releases right now.

From it's interesting characters to even more fascinating enemies, this game's characters shine. Especially Lara, who's new younger personality was very exciting to play as, as she comes to terms with the terrible reality she and her crew are facing.

The Tomb Raider series desperately needed a reboot, and they completely exceeded expectations with this one. The combat is fun and brutal, and perfect balance of difficulty where the weapon you choose is just as important as how you use it.
    This game will have you on the edge of your seat with each jump, and continue to impress you with many, many explosive action sequences. By far my favorite game of 2013 so far!
  82. Mar 20, 2013
    "TOMB RAIDER is an excellent reboot of a gaming icon that proudly celebrates the character that started the action genre to begin with. Lara Croft is a strong, believable & badass character that proves there’s room for the opposite gender in a genre overpopulated by male action heroes.

It’s a brutal game that showcases a young woman braving the elements to survive & become the character that fans worldwide have loved for years. It’s not only a fantastic action adventure game with beautiful environments, music & game design but a compelling character piece that proves that this is a series to watch out for.

TOMB RAIDER is a bloody good time, anyone looking for a great semi-open world adventure should definitely look into this. It’s amazing."

Read my full review: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6EyfkoZaI
  83. Mar 21, 2013
    Fan boys can say what they will that this is a horrible game that doesn't represent the old Tomb Raiders. Thing is, this is next gen. Game developers are moving on and working with the hardware they are given. Many developers are not doing a good job with bringing their old games forward.

This Tomb Raider was amazing. It's rare for me to actually play a game nowadays that I am completely satisfied with. I had no complaints. This was a good story/plot and was exciting all the way through. It was like watching a movie that I get to interact with.

Seeing Lara Croft more down to earth and real was enjoyable. For those saying this game is linear, you are incorrect. This was far from it. Every game with a story has to have certain paths you take and certain scripted events. If Tomb Raider is "Linear" then so is Skyrim. When you take on quests in Skyrim you have to follow certain paths just like Tomb Raider. When you are following paths you come across various dungeons and special activities. This applies to both Tomb Raider and Skyrim. Besides...what is wrong with a linear game? Ask yourself why are you playing a game? If you are looking for mindless wandering around with no goals then you are playing the wrong game. If you are looking for a game with a good story and exciting moving gameplay then here you go. "Sandbox" games with storylines usually have junk story lines. It's to hard to plug in a detailed quality story when you have no clue where the player is going to go next. I give this game a 10/10. There are no flaws. It beats out almost every game that I have played recently. For anyone that has not played this game, I encourage you to get it whether you played the old Tomb Raiders or not. It was truly an amazing journey.
  84. Mar 21, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played, and is a welcomed addition to the Tomb Raider franchise. It's a reboot of the original Tomb Raider series, and is leaps & bounds above the previous games.

It's like sticking your hand in the honey jar. You're definitely going to pull out some golden, sweet, goodness.
  85. Mar 24, 2013
    TombRaider is a fantastic reboot of the series, a dark twisted story, stunning graphics and smooth gameplay. Could do with more puzzles. 86/100

86. Mar 25, 2013
    When I was younger I never really got into the whole Tomb Raider thing, wasn't my cup of tea. But I have to say that this reboot is a cracking game. The first game for me in a long time where the disc has stayed in the Xbox until I have finished it I usually get bored after a couple of days of a game, even if it is very good, and play something else for a while. And I rarely completeWhen I was younger I never really got into the whole Tomb Raider thing, wasn't my cup of tea. But I have to say that this reboot is a cracking game. The first game for me in a long time where the disc has stayed in the Xbox until I have finished it I usually get bored after a couple of days of a game, even if it is very good, and play something else for a while. And I rarely complete games now days as I move on to other games and don't usually go back to them.

Some great scenery, good story, entertaining set pieces and, I found, decent variety throughout the game. I think they got things like the 'sensation' of firing the weapons spot-on, I found that very satisfying. I didn't quite get to grips with melee combat until later in the game as I found that a bit hit and miss possibly due to my fat fingers than any problems! Some of the QTE sections were a little bit off too. I actually don't mind them usually. but I found them a little bit unforgiving. Overall, I can't really find too many more faults with it. Like Hollywood has done a lot recently, this reboot has really freshened up a well-worn franchise, and I hope they are busy working on the next installment now as I will be eagerly anticipating it as long as it's more of the same!
  87. Mar 26, 2013
    I think its safe to say that this is one of those
    times where the reviewers have been
    completely bought off. This is NOT a Tomb Raider game. This is a mediocre linear 3rd person shooter. You spend 75% of your time engaging dumb enemies with mediocre shooting mechanics. You spend 10% of your time watching cinematic sequences. You spend 10% of your time trying to remember what
    I think its safe to say that this is one of those
    times where the reviewers have been
    completely bought off. This is NOT a Tomb
    Raider game. This is a mediocre linear 3rd
    person shooter. You spend 75% of your time
    engaging dumb enemies with mediocre
    shooting mechanics. You spend 10% of your
    time watching cinematic sequences. You
    spend 10% of your time trying to remember
    what button sequence to press at exactly the
    right moment during annoying scripted
    sequences. I’m not sure why this particular
    type of gameplay is popular in games today,
    or why it isn’t ripped apart by reviewers as
    annoying and terrible, but there is NOTHING
    fun about it. And you spend 5% of your time
    actually doing what made Tomb Raider
    games so great: solving puzzles. If that
    sounds like your cup of tea, then by all
    means, pick this up. As for me, I won’t even
    consider this a Tomb Raider game. The last
    few entries, that actually had cool puzzles
    and platforming sequences, were much more
    fun and true to what Tomb Raider is. If only
    I had borrowed or rented this instead of
    wasting $60 on it……
  88. Mar 25, 2013
    This game It's just amazing, but I think he failed on the transformation of Lara innocent girl to Lara the bad ass it's not really great because the violation that guy do to her it's not enough And this game have a big bug when you are at the boat you have to pull a box with the bow that box don't came to you so you need to start the campaign again, that happened to me on my firstThis game It's just amazing, but I think he failed on the transformation of Lara innocent girl to Lara the bad ass it's not really great because the violation that guy do to her it's not enough And this game have a big bug when you are at the boat you have to pull a box with the bow that box don't came to you so you need to start the campaign again, that happened to me on my first campaign but when I played again that is not there so you should be careful Expand
  89. Apr 5, 2013
    There is no reason why someone may call this game a "bad game". So let's start with how the story develops you are Lara Croft an archaeologist that wanted to explore a dangerous island in order to uncover an old legend that supposedly is true, after a while you will notice how meanwhile you advance the story and it starts becoming more complex and starts revealing more secrets withoutThere is no reason why someone may call this game a "bad game". So let's start with how the story develops you are Lara Croft an archaeologist that wanted to explore a dangerous island in order to uncover an old legend that supposedly is true, after a while you will notice how meanwhile you advance the story and it starts becoming more complex and starts revealing more secrets without becoming confusing at any point you will start notice how the character (Lara) itself becomes more aggressive and learn how to fight in a much more advanced way. When you start the story Lara is just... well an archeologist all alone in what appears to be a deserted island as she starts getting used to the surroundings of the island itself. The fist kill that Lara has to do it is shocking, not only is extremely violent but you will start to see how she starts changing, the first guy that she has to kill is never presented like "ok so you just killed this dude move on and kill more in order to get to the next mission" is an emotional impact as much as it is to the character as to the player. Every objective has a meaning and a ton of variety within you will be switching weapons constantly and not because the game tells you to but because everyone of them has his pros and cons and they are useful for different situations, you can upgrade your weapons so they're more powerful and better looking this combined with a beautiful climbing/platforming mechanic that feels just awesome. Even after i finished the game i just wanted to play it for a second time just to get more collectibles or to manage to upgrade all of my weapons just to feel as the most badass and feared warrior that there is in the island.
    Something that needs to be said is that the characters in this game are extremely charming at least 90% of them and again there is going to be a couple of deaths to "minor" characters in the game that will end up giving a huge emotional impact both on Lara and the other characters. In conclusion Tomb Raider 2013 is just a beautiful fun experience that no one should miss excellent graphics, stellar gameplay, interesting story make Tomb Raider 2013 the best game in the franchise so far, i hope that square enix keeps up with this franchise just to take on Lara on another mind blowing adventure. Oh and the game is extremely violent in different ways so is not a kids game to be honest.
  90. Mar 28, 2013
    This is how you reboot a game! It's an adventure game but it has action, stealth one very insteresting story and excellent gameplay mechanics. I highly recommend this one to everyone!
  91. Mar 31, 2013
    Game is awesome, but too expensive. I preffer to download game from web like from: http://xbox360-complex.com/tomb-raider-ntsc-upal-xbox360-complex-1-gb-links-no-limit/
  92. Mar 31, 2013
    Firstly, I am placing a disclaimer that I have only played about half of a tomb raider game (which I didn't like) before I played this one. My friends told me that his game's best thing is that the transition between a cut-scene and gameplay is seamless and that many cut-scenes show great textures and skyboxes.
    Now, I'm not one to rate a game based on how good sky-boxes look or how great
    Now, I'm not one to rate a game based on how good sky-boxes look or how great textures look. I grew up with 8 and 16 bit games (which I still play), I don't need Crysis-style textures that would put my ASUS G75 to the test. What I need is a good story, art-direction, characters, voice acting, and gameplay.
    What I got was unfortunately a game with great intentions that was remarkably short (even for 100% completion), and badly executed game. The story is well focused in a Lost kind of way, but unfortunately the amount of plot holes within the story, to include big set-pieces and scripted action sequences, that take away from Lara Croft's coming-of-age story to "let's just have her fall and get hurt a lot." This kind of story could make Lara Croft into the survivor that they're trying to make her, but falls ever so short with the sheer amount of plot holes. For instance, at the beginning you witness Lara kill someone for the first time, which she genuinely sounds remorseful and somber, but within 30 seconds of that same cut-scene, you kill about a dozen people. Where is the character development? You don't feel remorseful for a full twenty seconds before going on a Call of Duty rampage, killing dozens of people at a time!
    This would have kept the score at an 8, making it a good game worth buying, but something even more menacing and terrifying lurked over my entire experience...
    Disclaimer: I am perfectly aware that Tomb Raider was the first franchise to utilize this mechanic.
    Quick-Time-Events are by far the most annoying thing in a game. When you have a game that is completely full of QTE's, you have turned a game into "press x to not die." QTE's are something that (in my opinion) take away from the experience and immersion, particularly with this game. If you have a game with no HUD, you shouldn't use QTE's. The reason why a game would not utilize a HUD is to immerse a player into the story, set-pieces, etc. (which they do quite well), but if you have QTE's, it completely takes away from the immersion and instead turns into "great...another QTE." There are times when scripted action make sense to have QTE's, but when counters are timed QTE's and not just a simple "press x after dodging with b," that's when you have to decide that maybe the developers were going a little crazy with it.
    I like the game, I really do. I tried to love it, but I just couldn't. It's a game that has low to moderate replay value because of the sheer amount of QTE's and plot-holes, not to mention an absurdly short play time of about 10 hours max (and that's if you go for 100% completion on the hardest difficulty). This game could have been easily Game of the Year if the developer had focused on more important things than QTE's. Lara's character development could have been ground-breaking, interesting, and thought provoking, but instead you had one moment with her remorse, then quickly moving on to kill hundreds of enemies.
    Final Word: The game has an interesting plot overall and the game by far is beautiful. The cut-scenes are seamless and makes you feel that you are both in control and along for the ride (a thing that isn't done well by other games). QTE's aside, the gameplay is fun, engaging, and smooth. It is the kind of game that makes you want more, but falls short. A kind of game that you look at knowing that it had so much potential, but instead got lazy. Is it worthy to buy? Yes, but trade it in for something else later. You won't play it more than twice anyway.
  93. Mar 31, 2013
    As a big fan of the prequels I was extremely excited to see Lara do some damage once again on the current consoles. and I must say this game was awesome! graphics were quite a site to see! especially the snow missions. the bow is great! plus the other weapons, I like the story although it did drag out a bit slightly towards the end. some of the puzzles did not interest me. they were myAs a big fan of the prequels I was extremely excited to see Lara do some damage once again on the current consoles. and I must say this game was awesome! graphics were quite a site to see! especially the snow missions. the bow is great! plus the other weapons, I like the story although it did drag out a bit slightly towards the end. some of the puzzles did not interest me. they were my only gripes, multiplayer wasn't needed. gameplay is seriously addicting! best cover system! the island is great to explore but at times feels restricted.. a solid 8 from me. defs worth buying when cheap or renting. I borrowed it from a friend. Expand
  94. Apr 1, 2013
    Uncharted made an adaptation of Tomb Raider's spirit to the actual gen, with the mechanics that works great nowadays (basically TPS scripted platforms). Now is Tomb Raider who takes the Uncharted example for its own. It's well balanced, with enough different situations and works great all the way along... but always feels a step behind it's "spiritual successor".
  95. Apr 2, 2013
    One of the best games of this generation of console. Top graphics, animation, artificial inteligence, story and production in general. It´s a perfect reboot for this franchise.
  96. Apr 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing Graphics, Great Story, Great game play.....Except for the level with all the smoke/fog that was pain..I cant see them but apparently they can see me...haha
    Defiantly worth the money
  97. Apr 4, 2013
    I was genuinely excited for the new Tomb Raider, I was. The graphics were gorgeous, the trailer and reviews looked promising. However, within an hour or two I found myself doubting the quality of the game. Not having a desire to feel I wasted my money, I kept on until the end. The closer I got, the more I shook my head. The good? Lara is sexy (including or accent). That's about it. TheI was genuinely excited for the new Tomb Raider, I was. The graphics were gorgeous, the trailer and reviews looked promising. However, within an hour or two I found myself doubting the quality of the game. Not having a desire to feel I wasted my money, I kept on until the end. The closer I got, the more I shook my head. The good? Lara is sexy (including or accent). That's about it. The bad? The script is terrible, cheesy, cliche. REALLY cliche. They made Lara Croft out to be some fragile, terrified little dove caught in a dirty cage. Another issue: I feel like I'm watching a movie instead of playing a game. I enjoy a bit of cinematography, but not this much. When it does come to gameplay, it's a simple tapping of a couple buttons and BAM! Problem solved. The puzzles are totally unengaging. The action is pretty good, but way too easy. You master nearly every skill available, diminishing the replay value drastically. Overall it left me very disappointed. Expand
  98. Apr 19, 2013
    This is my first review so constructive criticism would be appreciated thanks. so with that out of the way I am loving this game. the story is that Lara and her crew shipwreck in the dragons triangle so they are looking for a way to escape. the cutscenes are amazing with one tiny little factor which sorta ruins them. quicktime events. I know in this day and age where quicktime events areThis is my first review so constructive criticism would be appreciated thanks. so with that out of the way I am loving this game. the story is that Lara and her crew shipwreck in the dragons triangle so they are looking for a way to escape. the cutscenes are amazing with one tiny little factor which sorta ruins them. quicktime events. I know in this day and age where quicktime events are everywhere this is expected but still. but other than that the cutscenes are great. Lara is given a personality and its a very believable personality. and gameplay is downright stupendous. there are four weapons to play with. you can run in to battle guns ablazing or be more precise with the bow. and there are amazing puzzles temples to explore each one is unique. and the graphics are beautiful. they wonderfully flesh out the surroundings and it is beautiful. i wish i could say the same for the music though but its just a bunch of generic songs that play for five seconds and i struggle to remember one. but overall this game is amazing. it is a must buy and while it does have a fewflaws they are extremely minor Expand
  99. Apr 11, 2013
    Este es si duda uno de los mejores juegos que he jugado. Me ha enganchado desde el principio. Nada más terminarlo he vuelto a empezar a jugarlo, y eso que tengo un montón de juegos pendientes. Es de los pocos juegos que puedo recomendar con los ojos cerrados a cualquiera. No se si será el GOTY del año 2013 porque todavía es pronto, pero de momento, para mí lo es, por encima del BioshockEste es si duda uno de los mejores juegos que he jugado. Me ha enganchado desde el principio. Nada más terminarlo he vuelto a empezar a jugarlo, y eso que tengo un montón de juegos pendientes. Es de los pocos juegos que puedo recomendar con los ojos cerrados a cualquiera. No se si será el GOTY del año 2013 porque todavía es pronto, pero de momento, para mí lo es, por encima del Bioshock Infinite. Para mi tiene mucho más mérito porque tradicionalmente los juegos con protagonista femenina son menos valorados, cosa que a mi me da mucha rabia. Hay juegos como este, donde la protagonista no tiene por que tirar de fuerza bruta, sino de habilidad y destreza. ¿Por que no una mujer entonces? Expand
  100. Apr 16, 2013
    Overall, I enjoyed this game. The puzzles and the gameplay in general were good. I did find it samey in places, falling 1000 feet, sliding down, jump a few fences, hand glide across, done. Wasn't a big fan of the story of the characters either, but it does a nice job with Lara. Overall, I wasn't overwhelmed, because there are some nonsensical things in the story. But I enjoyed the game, 7/10.

1. Apr 5, 2013
    The new Tomb Raider is not as revolutionary as the original from 1996 but this reboot is the most mature, interesting and friendly entry to the series. For me it is Uncharted on steroids, a game that’s better in every aspect than Nathan Drake’s adventures. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.52]
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a fine game, but something essential feels like it has been left out. Lara seems to have found the map, but missed the treasure.
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is the second best Uncharted game behind Uncharted 2. While it gives up a lot of its adventure identity fans have come to know and love, the end result is still a fantastic game that shouldn’t be missed by any action fan. If Crystal Dynamics can inject more adventure elements into a potential sequel, it would be a pretty interesting proposition indeed.