8.5

1. Mar 6, 2013
    So glad I bought this game, there's so much to explore and it really shows how the famous 'Lara Croft' came to be. There's total freedom in exploration (once you have the tools required, of course) and you can fast travel if need be back to previous locations. Different weapons that you can upgrade, tweak etc. Enemies seem 'smart', they'll duck for cover if you shoot at them, althoughSo glad I bought this game, there's so much to explore and it really shows how the famous 'Lara Croft' came to be. There's total freedom in exploration (once you have the tools required, of course) and you can fast travel if need be back to previous locations. Different weapons that you can upgrade, tweak etc. Enemies seem 'smart', they'll duck for cover if you shoot at them, although sometimes they'll just go berserk and charge ya. The finishing moves are awesome, and there's surprisingly a lot of gore in the game too. Definite 10 from me. Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is amazing! I have never played a tomb raider game in my many years of gaming, and what a great time it was to start! Being new to the series doesn't matter at all. You fall in love with the characters in story mode. There are endless things to do such as find certain collectibles. This game is very open and similar to far cry 3 but with better graphics, lovable characters, aThis game is amazing! I have never played a tomb raider game in my many years of gaming, and what a great time it was to start! Being new to the series doesn't matter at all. You fall in love with the characters in story mode. There are endless things to do such as find certain collectibles. This game is very open and similar to far cry 3 but with better graphics, lovable characters, a great story, and amazing 3rd person. My only complaint is that there is no online horde/ survival mode to do with friends (even co-op would be great). The multiplayer is still entertaining and nothing is more rewarding than setting a trap and catching an enemy to execute him! It's awesome. Expand
  3. Mar 5, 2013
    The game play is awesome.Like really awesome. Lara's characterization is amazing. Upgrade system is epic. Exploration is wonderful and challenging. And finally the story... its pretty good most of the time.
    I can assure u this will be one of the best of games of 2013!!!!
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    Tomb Raider set out to be an origin story, to reboot the franchise and it has completed that goal above and beyond. As every origin story should it provides in amazing detail the changes of Lara Croft through her adventures. Tomb Raider appeals to everyone, fans of adventure games, fans of Lara Croft and fans of video games. This reboot is a must buy.
  5. Mar 5, 2013
    Great game with balanced mechanics and really careful visuals.
    Great game with balanced mechanics and really careful visuals.
    Every scenario is beautifully detailed and presents dramatic and impressive set piece moments with an interesting level structure that manages to make the linear experience feel less oppressive than the norm. Shooting has the familiar trappings of a 3rd Person Game, but it adds some cinematographic twists here and there, ultimately being in equal parts rewarding and desperate. Parcour mechanics are also intuitive without being too on the nose.

Main problem is the story arc being not too convincing, better than Far Cry 3 in this sense, yet the pacing early on seems a bit rushed. The game presents Lara as a fit, yet green, young girl that's not emotionally prepared for actual combat, yet it wants her holding a gun and shooting perfectly as soon as possible. Turns out she's a Rambo Level killing machine mowing down enemies with just a bow and a few old guns.
    By the end of the game she's been though so much it would make a bit more of sense... yet it's still unbelievable how a whole army of rough looking enemies now look and sound terribly afraid of this single unarmored person that has not seem combat until a while ago and now face them head on.
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    I can't believe all these people stating that this game is amazing, funny, etc. I just think that these people never got a pad in their hands in their lives except for playing CoD.

This game is one of those non-games, where everything is scripted and cinematic, where the story comes in front of the gameplay. The problem is, the story is nowhere near as good. It's a messy chaos of

The problem is, the story is nowhere near as good.

It's a messy chaos of Lost quotes (the thinking island, airplanes falling, etc), teen movies (Lara is sometimes called L.C... WHAT??) and russian conspiracy. After several hours of playing I found more holes in the script than bugs in the game. We talk about an ancient japanese civlization from thousands of years ago. and yet, ALL THE WOODEN HOUSES ARE STILL INTACT AND THE BRACERS IN THE FORGOTTEN SECRET TOMBS ARE LIT.

I can forgive it as a gameplay license, but the gameplay is just absent.
    I can let go of the "win button", a button that shows you exactly what to do, the annoying neverending tutorial that follows you throughout the whole game or the lame experience system.
    but I can't let go the complete absence of anything related to a "gameplay".
    During the shooting you never die. Enemies never shoot at you, they always miss.
    When jumping the only thing you have to do is pressing up and A. doesn't matter if you up the distances, the game fixes that for you.

This is a game made to be won, and I can accept that if they would have presented a great story.
    But they didn't.
    And playing it is just plain boring.
  7. ERB
    Jan 22, 2014
    Outstanding graphics,Beautiful world,and fun game play and interesting story Tomb Raider has to be one of the best video games of this year.This is a must buy game for you gamers.
  8. Jun 20, 2013
    This was a good game I liked it but I was bored after a while.I wish there was more to do in it.This is a should buy game its perfect for any gamer to play.
  9. Aug 28, 2013
    Funny game, made me lost some hours of my life trying to catch everything. A good reboot, much more fun than the old titles. Keep in this way and TB 2 or 3 can became a shiny gamer jewel.
  10. Mar 6, 2013
    Un juego excelente, el modelado de Lara es impresionante, los escenarios muy bien diseñados y en ciertos momentos genera mucha tensión, la pena es que está todo demasiado guiado y no deja nada de libertad.
  11. Mar 6, 2013
    This truly Is a Tomb Raider game, sure it has more combat than the classic Tomb Raider's but that's just based on the fact gaming trends have changed. The Graphics are amazing! The Story is a little bit predictable but still good enough and Lara is actually believable and more likable now! 100% game of the year! must play!
  12. Mar 7, 2013
    A fantastic reboot for the Tomb Raider series. The game truly makes Lara Croft a relatable character in the modern video game audience. From start to finish this is an origin story you do not want to miss. A few minor criticisms but these never detract from the game and more so to do with there wasn't enough of them ...

+ Engaging and intriguing storyline + Fantastic Pacing and mix of

+ Engaging and intriguing storyline
    + Fantastic Pacing and mix of gamely
    + Amazing graphics and atmospheric environments (literally the best looking game I have seen on my console)
    + Dynamic combat and XP system

- Would have liked to see more puzzles harder puzzles Multiplayer is standard. Would have been nice to see something unique here maybe a cool co-op etc

Still these never take away from the true masterpiece that is Tomb Raider. For action adventure fans this is a must buy. For anyone who plays games at all MUST BUY.
  13. Mar 17, 2013
    I have played every Tomb Raider since the beginning and this reboot is by far the best ever. Letting the player experience Lara's origin and that fact that she's not perfect, finds herself in serious trouble and gets pretty badly beat up is in amazing experience. I winced and felt for Lara every time she got hit by an enemy, fell off a cliff and got impaled. The game mechanics are soI have played every Tomb Raider since the beginning and this reboot is by far the best ever. Letting the player experience Lara's origin and that fact that she's not perfect, finds herself in serious trouble and gets pretty badly beat up is in amazing experience. I winced and felt for Lara every time she got hit by an enemy, fell off a cliff and got impaled. The game mechanics are so immersive that I forget I am playing a video game. It's more like watching a compelling movie.

Bravo!
  14. Mar 13, 2013
    I finally made a Metacritic account just to review this game. I am a big fan of mature, story-driven games with deep character development. Thus, I hold games like Bioshock or Witcher in a very high regard. That being said, this game is a gem. I have never been a fan of the Tomb Raider series mainly because the story for many of the games seemed overly fantastical and borderline absurd.I finally made a Metacritic account just to review this game. I am a big fan of mature, story-driven games with deep character development. Thus, I hold games like Bioshock or Witcher in a very high regard. That being said, this game is a gem. I have never been a fan of the Tomb Raider series mainly because the story for many of the games seemed overly fantastical and borderline absurd. Furthermore, previous Tomb Raider games featured an overly sexualized Lara Croft who was not very relatable or likeable. This game, however, is a much needed breath of fresh air and a wonderful reboot of the franchise.

First of all, the new Lara Croft is often vulnerable, but still strong and resilient. The way her personality and character developed throughout the story was just beautiful. As a player, one begins to care about the character as if she were a real person.

Second of all, there is an incredible amount of detail in all of the different environments. The forests, shanty towns, ship wrecks, caves, and tombs are littered with so much visual eye-candy that it really brings the player into the game. As a history buff, I absolutely loved finding the different artifacts and also found the optional tombs and the ancient ruins to be breathtaking. This game does not skimp on the visuals.

In summary, I definitely recommend this game to anyone who favors story, character development, and exploration over straight action. Although there are brief episodes of intense fighting, the focus of this game is really to tell a story that is filled with moments of mystery, awe, sadness, and grace.
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    I have to update my review because I played the multiplayer portion of the game. It is bad, so bad. Garbage all the way. I know the only reason for adding a multiplayer is money. Online passes, map packs, outfits all equal profits. In this case it was a mistake to green light that crap. Once game makers start making great stand alone single player games and realize that multiplayer is notI have to update my review because I played the multiplayer portion of the game. It is bad, so bad. Garbage all the way. I know the only reason for adding a multiplayer is money. Online passes, map packs, outfits all equal profits. In this case it was a mistake to green light that crap. Once game makers start making great stand alone single player games and realize that multiplayer is not a cash cow necessity, then you will earn respect and maybe more profits. Expand
  16. Mar 5, 2013
    Got this game for free with my graphics card. Came in with no expectations, but was I ever wrong!

Graphics are phenomenal; music and ambient sound is spooky and keeps you on edge; combat is straightforward and fun; storyline is awesome and entirely believable; character development is fantastic the list goes on and on. The only detrimental aspects of the game are the quick time

The only detrimental aspects of the game are the quick time events and the GUI. I understand the QTEs make you focus on imporant parts of the storyline or keep you on the edge of your seat, but they get tiresome and really require no skill other than waiting to press a certain button at a specific moment.

The GUI in upgrading weapons/skills could have been designed better. After about 30 seconds of switching through it, I quickly got a headache from all the jostling around on the screen.

Nevertheless, I was truly blown away by this game. Coming from a fan of the original Tomb Raiders from the 90's, this is a breath of fresh air into what was stagnated game franchise. While it is not perfect (but truly, what games are?) it is still one of the best games of 2013. If you are on the fence about getting this game, wait no longer. Go and purchase it immediately. It will not disappoint.
  17. Mar 7, 2013
    One of the best game I´ve played this year. It´s Awesome and you won´t regret buyng it. It´s not fair the comparison with Uncharted. Each game have it´s own issues. I`ve spent more than two days to reach only 50%. M
  18. Mar 6, 2013
    The Game is awesome! next gen is here! the story is not very interesting but its Ok. the game-play are amazing. enemies are interesting, everything in this game are amazing! Must Buy
  19. Mar 19, 2013
    This is what tomb raider needed in my opinion to stay competitive with the like of uncharted, the graphics are amazing the story is epic, square Enix have made Lara back to her best.
  20. Mar 25, 2013
    Awesome graphics and controls, intense and seamless storyline, but simply lacks of puzzle solving, which makes Tomb Raider a simple Action game. A little bit disappointing I would say. But still, it's not a bad game. I've been a Tomb Raider fan for 10+ years and my favorite TR remains the first one.
  21. Mar 7, 2013
    One of my favorite games of this year so far. It is amazing the work Crystal Dynamics has put into this titles. A perfect example that installed franchises can still offer creativity when developed properly. The game is smooth and responsive, impressive and innovative. Action packed during the full campaign and the plot is reasonably well driven. Nathan Drake now has a serious competitorOne of my favorite games of this year so far. It is amazing the work Crystal Dynamics has put into this titles. A perfect example that installed franchises can still offer creativity when developed properly. The game is smooth and responsive, impressive and innovative. Action packed during the full campaign and the plot is reasonably well driven. Nathan Drake now has a serious competitor in the action/adventure playground; I mean this is like a dream made true for all of us hardcore fans of the series. Recommended with no doubts, totally worth the money. Expand
  22. Mar 7, 2013
    LARA IS THE QUEEN
    THE KING INDIANA JONES

SORRY DRAKE FANBOYS
  23. Mar 6, 2013
    This is the best Tomb Raider yet, and is one of the best games of its generation. It has a a great storyline, narrative, charismatic characters, wonderful graphics and, best of all, it has Lara Croft, the female icon of video games. This time, Lara is more human and she looks very real, and is a breath of fresh air in a world that is predominantly full of male characters. All in all, IThis is the best Tomb Raider yet, and is one of the best games of its generation. It has a a great storyline, narrative, charismatic characters, wonderful graphics and, best of all, it has Lara Croft, the female icon of video games. This time, Lara is more human and she looks very real, and is a breath of fresh air in a world that is predominantly full of male characters. All in all, I want to say: bravo Crystal Dynamics and bravo for the new Tomb Raider! Definitely Lara IS back. Expand
  24. Mar 6, 2013
    Ok, so I was actually expecting a pretty good time from the new Tomb Raider but boy was I proved wrong. It's a bloody great time!
    While I do have a few gripes they are all minor things that are easily overshadowed by the sheer awesome.
    But for the sake of fairness let's go through them. First. The game do start off fairly weak. For the first 15-20 minutes I was certain that I they had
    But for the sake of fairness let's go through them.
    First. The game do start off fairly weak. For the first 15-20 minutes I was certain that I they had just jacked up the drama a little bit and gone for more cinematic angles to become in essence Tomb Raider: Uncharted. However once you get through the first part and the game opens up a little I was quite blown away. The games progression is still linear but you have quite a bit of freedom exploring your surroundings and the game does a really good job at making you feel like you're not being led on rails (most of the time). My second gripe is that the game feeds you too much resources. There is quite literally ammunition every ten metres or so. It's next to impossible to run out of ammo. I really hope they release a survival mode that makes scavenging and hunting more important parts of the game. The third gripe is the one that annoys me the most (though your mileage may vary) and it's the QTEs.
    I really really really hate the QTEs in this game. If I get the game over screen in this game it's about 99% probability that it was from a QTE. The game also does a really piss poor job of explaining exactly what you button you need to press and when. I must have been choked 20 times before I figured out what I needed to do.
    It's such a cheap way of adding "action" to a game and I loathe it with a passion.
    Thankfully there aren't that many of them but every time one comes along I'm unceremoniously ripped out of the immersion the game has managed to pull me into and I'm forced to hammer left/right for a few seconds and then hammer E or time a press of F. Gaaah!

Anyway.
    The good parts.
    The enviroments are really really good.
    While the "abandoned military installations on a tropical island" setting has been done lots of times before you can understand why since it's works so good and I doubt it has looked any better than this. Every part of the island has been crafted with expert care and attention to detail. Every time I enter a new part of the map I'm always excited to see what I will find this time.
    The game is also extremely good at mixing the action with the exploring. I'm not all the way through the game yet but the action has never overstayed it's welcome. The pacing of the game reminds me alot of Uncharted 2 3 and that is a really good thing (don't get me started on the pacing of the first Uncharted) The story is also well crafted and keeps you interested. You really want to find out the story behind it all and see how it comes together.

While the year is still young I have no doubt that this game will place on my top 10 of 2013.
  25. Mar 6, 2013
    I have played this game for 2 days straight and I'm still at 50 completion and its been wonders playing it. This game re borned the tomb raider series for the better and I'm glad I purchased this. Now the single player is amazing and easily worth 60 by itself but the developers also added multiplayer and I got to say coming from COD this is so much fun for me because it mixes pakour andI have played this game for 2 days straight and I'm still at 50 completion and its been wonders playing it. This game re borned the tomb raider series for the better and I'm glad I purchased this. Now the single player is amazing and easily worth 60 by itself but the developers also added multiplayer and I got to say coming from COD this is so much fun for me because it mixes pakour and claiming and all sorts of thing that make it fun but it does have some connectivities issues but its pretty rare. Bottom line is you won't regret this purchase. Expand
  26. Mar 6, 2013
    So I have only ever played one TR game in the past... I can't even remember what it was. This game is amazing and is extremely polished. People are rating it low because it is "An Uncharted knock off." LOL I remember when Uncharted came out and they said that it was a Tomb Raider knock-off. People... It's a video game. Quit with the politics and just enjoy it. It's been a long time since aSo I have only ever played one TR game in the past... I can't even remember what it was. This game is amazing and is extremely polished. People are rating it low because it is "An Uncharted knock off." LOL I remember when Uncharted came out and they said that it was a Tomb Raider knock-off. People... It's a video game. Quit with the politics and just enjoy it. It's been a long time since a game this polished and fun came out. Expand
  27. Mar 5, 2013
    Tomb Raider is back and better than ever. What's awesome is that, despite being a reboot, the classic aspects of Tomb Raider that we all know and love is still very much present in this game. There is still a huge emphasis on puzzles, platforming, and exploration. Combat, this time around, is much more prevalent which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it works well, and is seamless. TheTomb Raider is back and better than ever. What's awesome is that, despite being a reboot, the classic aspects of Tomb Raider that we all know and love is still very much present in this game. There is still a huge emphasis on puzzles, platforming, and exploration. Combat, this time around, is much more prevalent which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it works well, and is seamless. The cover system itself is innovative, eliminating the chunkiness of taking cover that plagues most third person shooters. Instead, Lara blends with environments with ease. The new Lara is a huge improvement over the past iterations. The story is also stronger than the past games which gives us incentive to care about the characters. All in all, an amazing game. It's no wonder that, after 9 games, Lara is considered an icon. She is a legend. Enough said. Expand
  28. Mar 7, 2013
    Its the best tombraider ever and i played all of them. The scale and the graphics the momentum its comparable or sometimes better than uncharted 3. This easily fit in game of the year 2013 nominees. Play it on pc and you will be blowen away by the hair physics(TressFx) by amd and some dx11 top notch graphics although the game look exceptionally fantastic on ps3 and xbox 360.

Its an epic

Its an epic 10/10 game
  29. Mar 8, 2013
    Looks great, feels great, overall a wonderful game. Because, the secret to an exceptional yard is a capable lawn mower that lasts decades without any visible deterioration in performance or durability, and Crystal Dynamics have nailed it.
  30. Mar 7, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a standalone classic within itself. Fans of the series may find themselves feeling strange with the more action adventure oriented game play, which is done in a more conventional style similar to Farcry 3 (©2013, Ubisoft)- in fact, parallels can be made with the game play regarding the environment interactivity, such as hunting and the RPG system of gaining experience forTomb Raider is a standalone classic within itself. Fans of the series may find themselves feeling strange with the more action adventure oriented game play, which is done in a more conventional style similar to Farcry 3 (©2013, Ubisoft)- in fact, parallels can be made with the game play regarding the environment interactivity, such as hunting and the RPG system of gaining experience for kills, relevant storyline actions, hidden loot and relics, however; with a system of beneficial crates and extra missions that are enjoyable and worthwhile stashed throughout the island, players are given a heightened incentive to explore. In fact, an additional similarity with Farcry 3 can be drawn to the overall premise. Where the game shines is within its production values, overall fluidity of controls, as well as a solid plot and stellar voice actors. One more distinct aspect of game play that can also be said to have been done prior is from Hitman: Absolution (2013, Square Enix), in which a heightened awareness can be activated, however unlike in the aforementioned title and for the benefit of Tomb Raider, this device is implemented to effectively encourage exploration and attention to detail to the environment, as objects such as plants, animals and crates appear highlighted on the screen. There is an interesting amount of realism to the game and this is in concerns to the direct characterization of the protagonist and the potential enmeshment for the gamer, made all the more great by a strong hook and a very gritty unveiling of the creation of what is, for all intents and purposes, a strong-willed woman who is malleable and apt to adapt to survive. It is refreshing to find a game in a male dominated market that offers such, as most women in games are portrayed as timid or in need of protection. On this note it should be mentioned that some gamers may be turned off by the role, perhaps because of the novelty and difference, although if preconception and doubts can be set aside, the treasure is plentiful.

The adventure itself is fresh, given a presentation that is surprisingly macabre- with the graphics having a very desaturated tone to them, highlighting shadows and using an all around dark pallet, these constituents create a dim mood, almost somber or melancholy. It is this, over and above all the ingredients above that make for a classic within the genre, in note as the most stellar entry in the series. Issues with the game that some players may find could be that of its linearity, although the game is neither dull nor repetitive, with the tasks at hand providing an interaction that makes the player not only want to focus but be drawn into the smooth surroundings by tight controls and realistic physics. In addition, reply value is somewhat questionable, although many games similar that are heavily focused on narrative and eventual development fit with tutorials may leave the gamer with little desire to replay the title immediately. Regardless, this game is a definitive must have, with everything so ideally polished and honed that Tomb Raider is hard to put down for any gamer who enjoys adventure, exploration, a firm plot, and action. Even if not to necessarily a game to be played within the years to come, without doubt it will stand the test of time and is a must have for fans to put on the shelf.

Score 10/10

1. Apr 5, 2013
    The new Tomb Raider is not as revolutionary as the original from 1996 but this reboot is the most mature, interesting and friendly entry to the series. For me it is Uncharted on steroids, a game that’s better in every aspect than Nathan Drake’s adventures. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.52]
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a fine game, but something essential feels like it has been left out. Lara seems to have found the map, but missed the treasure.
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is the second best Uncharted game behind Uncharted 2. While it gives up a lot of its adventure identity fans have come to know and love, the end result is still a fantastic game that shouldn’t be missed by any action fan. If Crystal Dynamics can inject more adventure elements into a potential sequel, it would be a pretty interesting proposition indeed.